GEN. BYRON L. CARR
PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.
O. reside in Boulder, the latter being a veteran of the Civil war. Three of the sisters died in Indiana and one in Missouri. When a girl Mrs. Cheney lived with her grandparents, Milner, in Indiana, but she was married in Holden, Mo. Since fifteen years of age she has been a member of the Christian Church. She owns and occupies a beautiful residence at No. 1205 Bluff street, where, surrounded by every comfort which ample means can provide, she may reasonably hope to spend her declining days. She is a lady of gentle character, kind to the deserving poor, as was her husband, and generous to all in need. In her family there are three children: Oliver I., who is engaged in mining at Somerville; Charles H., who is bookkeeper in the First National Bank of Boulder; and Lynette, a graduate of the Christian College at Columbia, Mo.
The life of Mr. Cheney closed March 31, 1885. He was a member of the Christian Church and an active participant in its enterprises. Fraternally he was a Knight Templar Mason. He was interested in everything that would promote the well-being of the city, and was ever willing to sacrifice private interests for the public welfare. Although deeply engrossed in his banking enterprises, yet he was interested in every good work, ever public-spirited and efficient, and believing as he did that there is but one thing that will make a state great, all educated Christian citizenship, all along the pathway of his busy life he was the friend of the church, the school and collegiate education. As a progressive citizen, an able banker, a consistent Christian and a kind friend, he is remembered by all who knew him.
EN. BYRON L. CARR. There are among the citizens of Colorado many men of unusual breadth of mind and brilliancy of intellect, men who would be valuable acquisitions to the citizenship of any state, and to whose mental acumen and excellent business judgment much of the progress made by this state during the past two decades may be attributed. Such a man is the subject of this sketch, who has been honored by the people of the state with election to the office of attorney-general. Since coming to Colorado in 1871 he has held many responsible positions, both under the territorial and the state government, and the highest interests of the commonwealth have been visibly enhanced by his sagacity and practical judgment.
The Carr family has been represented in America since the days of the Pilgrim Fathers. The ship carpenter of the "Mayflower," 1620, was George Carr, who settled at Plymouth, but later removed to Salisbury, Mass., where generations of his descendants lived and died. The town was situated on an island in the Merrimac River, and under the name of Carr's Island, by which it was commonly known, was granted to George Carr in 1625. Some of the family were in the colonial wars, and two, one of whom was named James, took part in the enterprise against Quebec. Capt. Daniel Carr was born in Salisbury in 1710, and attained the age of one hundred years. His son, Deacon John Carr, was born in Newburyport, Mass., in 1774, and when a young man removed to Grafton County, N. H., where he engaged in farming. For a long time he served as deacon in the Congregational Church.
Next in line of descent was General Carr's father, Capt. John Carr, who was born in Grafton County, served as captain of a company of New Hampshire militia, and for years was a contractor and builder of bridges and churches. He made his home in Haverhill until his death, which occurred at sixty-four years. His wife was Susan Ryder, a native of New Hampshire, and the daughter of Seth Ryder, who was born in Newburyport, Mass. The latter, who was the son of a sea captain, married Mary Hibbard, whose father, Thomas, was an officer in the Revolution, having served as clerk of a company of militia in 1775-76, sergeant on guard and scout duty in 1777, and captain of a company from May, 1779, to 1781, being continuously in the service from 1775 to 1781. He was of English descent. Mrs. Susan Carr died in 1889, at seventy-five years; she was the mother of seven children, four of whom attained maturity, Byron T. being the youngest child and the only son now living.
In his native town of Haverhill, N. H., and in the Newbury (Vt.) Academy General Carr received his education. While a student in the academy, April 19, 1861, he enlisted in the Second New Hampshire Infantry, serving for three months. In 1862 he enlisted in the First New Hampshire Cavalry, Company M, and re-enlisted
PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.
in 1864, serving until June, 1865, when he was discharged as acting sergeant-major of the First Cavalry. With the Army of the Potomac he took part in the battles of Cedar Mountain, second battle of Bull Run, Chantilly, Fredericksburg, Chancellorsville, the Wilderness and Shenandoah campaigns, battles of Antietam and Cold Harbor; the campaign around Richmond and Petersburg, and the battle of Appomattox. At Fisher Hill, in September, 1864, he was four times wounded and lost his left thumb. At Appomattox, the day before Lee surrendered, he was wounded in the right arm, which was so seriously injured as to make amputation necessary. He remained in the hospital from April 8, 1865, to the following July, when he was able to leave. At Middleburg, Va., June 17, 1863, he was captured by Stuart's cavalry and sent to Libby prison, thence to Belle Island, remaining as prisoner until October, when he was exchanged. While in prison he suffered all the privations and hardships incident to life as a prisoner of war.
On his return from the war he completed his academic course in Vermont, and then, in 1867, went to Waukegan, Ill., where he was principal of the high school. In 1868, by appointment, he was made county superintendent of schools, to which office he was elected in 1869 for four years. While in that position he studied law and was admitted to the bar. Resigning his office in 1871 he came to Colorado in April of that year and located at Longmont, where he taught for a year and also practiced law. In 1873-74 he was attorney of the first judicial district of Colorado, including Gilpin, Clear Creek, Boulder, Jefferson and Larimer Counties. In 1875 he was chosen a member of the constitutional convention of Colorado, and in the convention of 1875-76 he was chairman of the committee on military affairs and drew up the military article. He also served as a member of the committees on education, mines and mining, agriculture, and revision and adjustment. The convention was composed of thirty-nine men, who stood among the brainiest and most influential in the state. In the convention March 14, 1876, the constitution was adopted, and President Grant issued his proclamation admitting the state on the 1st of August. On the 1st of July it was submitted to the people for ratification, and by them was adopted.
On the Republican ticket, in 1894, Mr. Carr was nominated for the office of attorney-general and was elected, taking his seat in January, 1895. The following year he was re-elected on a fusion ticket of silver Republicans and Democrats. In addition to discharging the duties of his office, he is interested in farm lands in Boulder County, and in real estate elsewhere. He is a member of the Masonic lodge in Longmont, and has been past grand master of Colorado; Longmont Chapter No, 8, R. A. M., in which he is past high priest; Long's Peak Commandery No. 12, K. T., in which he is past eminent commander and past grand commander of the state, holding the latter position at the time of the conclave in Denver in 1892, when he gave the address of welcome; also a member of the Ancient Order of United Workmen. In the Grand Army he is quite active. He aided in organizing McPherson Post No. 6 of Longmont, of which he is past commander, and in 1884 was department commander of Colorado. The most of the national conventions of the army he has attended. He is a member of the national executive council of administration in the Grand Army.
In Chicago General Carr married Miss Mary L. Pease, who was born in Maine, the daughter of Eliphalet Pease, who was a native of Maine and died in Colorado. They have two children, Jerome B., a student in the Denver high school; and Susie, wife of Capt. L.P. McGuire, of Denver, who is private secretary to his father-in-law. Mrs. Carr is grand worthy matron of the Order of Eastern Star of Colorado. She is a member of the Woman's Relief Corps No. 32 at Longmont; is past department president of the state corps, and in 1895 held office as national inspector.
F. LEECH. The record of the life of Mr. Leech for some years past has been the history of the Inter Mountain Railway, or, as it is now known under the more recent laws of incorporation, the Colorado Northwestern Railway. The road extends from Boulder west and north to Ward, passing through Crissman, Salina, Copper Rock, Sunset, Sunnyside and Dewdrop. The charter, under the laws of Colorado, shows a capital stock of $500,000 and bears date of 1897. The contract was let August 1, 1897, and the road was completed to Sunset February
PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.
28, 1898, the first train running on that day. By the latter part of May, 1898, the line was extended to Ward, twenty-six and one-half miles from Boulder. A branch, running from Gold Hill Junction to Eldora, will be completed in the fall of 1899, and will be eighteen miles in length. The undertaking has been one of great responsibility and represents an immense amount of labor, much of which has been accomplished by Mr. Leech, who is a director. The officers are: E. C. Thompson, of Meadville, Pa., president; Col. C. W. Mackey, of Franklin, Pa., vice-president and secretary; Thomas R. Mann, of Lockhaven, Pa., treasurer; J. T. Blair, of Greenville, Pa., general manager; and T. S. Waltemeyer, of Omaha, who is a director.
The subject of this sketch was born in Tionesta, Forest County, Pa., November 24, 1850. His father, D. E., was born in Leechburg, Armstrong County, Pa., his grandfather, John, in Mercer County, and his great-grandfather, John, Sr., in York County. The last-named, who was a farmer, served as government surveyor and civil engineer in Pennsylvania and received in payment a large tract of land in Mercer County, upon which he settled and engaged in farm pursuits; he died on that place at the age of ninety-nine years. His father, who was a lieutenant in the Revolutionary war, was a member of a family that belonged to the Society of Friends and came from England to Philadelphia with William Penn.
The grandfather of our subject, together with his brother David, had the contract to build the western end of the Pennsylvania Canal, which they completed from the Allegheny River east over the mountains, it being the greatest feat of engineering that had been accomplished up to that time. They founded the town of Leechburg, now on the Pennsylvania Railroad, and with a present population of twenty thousand people. Both were stockholders in the canal until it was sold by the state. The grandfather died when visiting in Tennessee, aged seventy-two.
Our subject's father, who was a farmer in Forest County, removed from there to Greenville, Mercer County. Prior to that, in 1850, he went via the Panama route to California, where he engaged in mining for two years. On his return east he bought a farm in Greenville, where he continued until the war. He then enlisted as a Private in Company I, Second Pennsylvania Cavalry, where he served in the Army of the Potomac under General Stoneman until the close of the war, a period of four and one-half years of service. He was slightly wounded in the battle of City Point. For meritorious service he was promoted to be first lieutenant. When the war ended he returned to his farm. In 1873 he removed to Ogallala, Keith County, Neb., where he remained for six years upon a ranch. The year 1879 found him in Boulder, Colo., where he continued to reside until shortly before his death. While on a visit to his ranch in Nebraska, he died, at the age of sixty-four; the remains where brought to Boulder for interment. He was identified with the Grand Army of the Republic and was commander of the post at Ogallala.
Our subject's mother was Elizabeth Hilands, a native of Tionesta, Pa., and now a resident of Los Angeles, Cal. She was a daughter of John Hilands, a civil engineer, who resided in Tionesta until his death, when but little less than one hundred years of age. In her family there were four sons and four daughters, namely: M. F.; Mrs. Charlotte Tanner, of Denver; Mrs. Dora Lonergan, of Manitou; Mrs. Carrie Simms, who died at Fort Collins in December, 1897; Elmer a cattleman at Big Springs, Neb.; William H., a locomotive engineer running on the Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe Railroad into Los Angeles, Cal.; Mrs. Ida M. Stansfield, of West Australia; and C. D., of Los Angeles, Cal.
When our subject was a boy his father entered the service of the Union, and he, being the oldest of the children, assisted his mother in the management of the farm. In 1865, when his father returned home, he secured work as a newsboy on the Atlantic & Great Western (now the Erie) Railroad, and soon after was given employment in the McHenry House at Meadville, Pa. Later he was fireman on the Atlantic & Great Western road, between Meadville and Kent, and during his leisure hours he learned telegraphy. This latter occupation he followed to some extent. From Pennsylvania he went to join his father, who had moved to Sparta, White County, Penn., and he secured work as locomotive engineer in the employ of the Nashville & Lebanon Railroad, where he remained for six months, when he was injured in a wreck. Going to Cincinnati, Ohio, he was for a time employed in the Western Union Telegraph Company's office. Believing that a change
PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.
of climate would benefit his health, in 1871 Mr. Leech came west, making the run along the Union Pacific from North Platte as extra agent and train dispatcher. For a time he engaged in railroading in Wyoming, but he suffered with the ague there, and concluded to ''rough it'' among the Indians. He went among the Sioux, whose language he learned and among whom he spent the greater part of three years in the western part of Nebraska and Wyoming. When he went to Sherman, Wyo., in the fall of 1871 he was in such poor health that the inhabitants, believing he would not survive the winter, dug a grave for him at once, as it was their custom to prepare graves in the fall, in order that it would not be necessary to dig in the frozen ground in the winter. However, the climate and his outdoor exercise benefited him so much that he soon regained his former strength. From the fact that he is a very reserved man, the Indians called him "Wah see chee yoppa chinclullah," meaning "White man talks little," and one might well add, "and that little is to the point."
In 1875, when the war broke out with the Sioux, Mr. Leech offered his services to the government and became a scout with General Crook. On account of his familiarity with the Sioux, their country and their language, he was a very valuable aide, and guided the army in their scouts and rencontres. During one of these expeditions he was captured three times by three different bands of Sioux and each time talked his way to freedom. Knowing their language, character and habits he succeeded in making them think he was the agent of the government, authorized to secure the number of beef cattle that was needed to feed the families of the Indians on the reservations. It was the custom of the government to send a man out every ten days to get from the Indians the number of cattle needed on the reservations, and he succeeded in convincing the Indians that he was this agent, showing them his sealed orders, which were large and official-looking, to prove the truth of his assertion; while if they had been able to read, the papers would have been his death warrant. He participated in the battle of Rosebud.
After the close of the Sioux war, in the fall of 1875, Mr. Leech went into the employ of the United States government, the Union Pacific Railroad and the Wyoming Cattle Growers' Association, to hunt down and exterminate the outlaws, train and stage robbers and cattle thieves who had a strong foothold in Wyoming and western Nebraska during the war, as the government could not pay much attention to them during the Indian troubles. He was placed at the head of a band of men and continued in the service for three years, until he had all exterminated. During this time he had sixty-one of the outlaws either hung or sent to the penitentiary, while others were hung by vigilance committees before he got on their track. Sometimes, he rode after them days and nights in succession and had more than one pitched battle. The outlaws were desperate and when they found he was after them they threatened his life and several times they attempted to assassinate him at his home in Ogallala, Neb. In 1878 he moved his family to Boulder, thinking it would be a safe place for then,. Once, in that place, his life was attempted, but he maimed his assailant to prevent further harm. As the outlaws scattered, it took him all over the country and he traveled under assumed names. It was on one of these trips that he met, in Salem, Ind., the lady whom he afterward married. In 1878 he visited Leadville on business, and became interested in mining. He remained with the United States government until July, 1880, when he cleared up the last gang, Dock Middleton's, at Keya Pah Hall. In 1884 he was again called into the service of the Pacific Express Company, to hunt the perpetrators of the Minnedoka and Albion stage robbery in Idaho. In three weeks he had them arrested, but it took one year to work up the evidence against and convict them.
From 1878 Mr. Leech engaged in mining operations in Leadville until 1880, when he returned to Boulder County and became manager of the mines and nulls at Ward and Gold Hill. Later, going to Idaho, he was manager of the Alturas and Poor Man mines and was also interested in mining. In 1893 he returned to Boulder, for the purpose of working up interest in a railroad from Boulder to Ward and other mining camps. He was familiar with the canons and made the original survey himself; and it is of interest to note that the road when completed did not vary fifty feet from his survey. After making the preliminary survey he went east to secure the capital needed for building the road, having already corresponded with Mr. Ames, a capitalist of Boston,
PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.
whom he knew personally. On the way east, when at Chester, within one hundred miles of Boston, the train was wrecked, going through a bridge into the river, and fifteen were killed and forty wounded. In the Pullman sleeper there were eleven passengers and he was the only one of the number who escaped death. When he regained consciousness his head was under the water and his body was caught between a pair of trucks, the flanges of the wheels holding and crushing his left hip. He lifted his head out of the water and was fortunately seen by rescuers, who placed a board under his head, to hold it out of the water. Five hours passed before he was taken out, and it was then found that his left hip was crushed, arm broken and his head injured. He was sent to the hospital in Springfield, Mass, where the physicians held out no hope for his recovery; but he slowly regained his strength, though in the hospital for more than one year. During his conscious moments he studied the plans for the Inter Mountain Railway (for he had already given a name to his projected road); and doubtless the same thought filled his mind even in moments of unconsciousness. One day he asked, ''Why did the Lord spare my life and make me a cripple,'' to which his old nurse replied, ''God has spared you so that the Inter Mountain Railway can be built and you be the means through the railroad of making thousands of homes prosperous and happy.''
A year after he was injured Mr. Leech was able to leave the hospital, though still using crutches. Meantime Mr. Allies had died, so his original plans were necessarily changed. He went to New York City, but was taken worse and was compelled to remain in a hospital for almost another year. In spite of discouragements and long illness, he did not give up his hopes. In 1897 he succeeded in interesting a few parties in the road, among them T. S. Waltemeyer, of Omaha. They incorporated the company and started a survey, when E. C. Thompson and other parties from Pennsylvania became interested and sent out J. T. Blair, the manager of the Pittsburg, Bessemer & Lake Eric Railroad, to examine conditions and prospects. After going over the survey, Mr. Blair made a favorable report, and himself resigned his position and took stock in the new enterprise.
In addition to his connection with the railroad, Mr. Leech is vice-president and general manager of the Midget Mining and Milling Company, which he organized and which is developing the Midget group of mines, containing eight claims. His office is in the Masonic Temple building, on Pearl street, Boulder, and he has a beautiful residence on the corner of Sixth and Arapahoe streets, surrounded by a fine lawn and a fruit orchard. By his marriage to Emma A. Goslen, a native of Indiana, he has six children, namely: Susie, Ralph, Hoyt, Edith, Winniefred and Dorothy. Mrs. Leech is identified with the Methodist Episcopal Church, to which he is a liberal contributor. Fraternally he is connected with the Knights of Pythias and in politics is a Republican.
ROF. WILLIAM VAN CLEVE CASEY occupies a leading position among the educators of Colorado, and the town of Boulder considers itself particularly fortunate in having so scholarly and efficient a gentleman as superintendent of its public schools. In the fall of 1888 he was honored by being elected county superintendent of schools and served with marked ability in that responsible position until January, 1893, having been re-elected in the meantime, in 1890. He is identified with the State Teachers' Association, the National Educational Association and the Boulder County Teachers' Association. The last-mentioned he was very influential in organizing and has several times been its president. For some time he has delivered lectures on school law before the class in pedagogy in the University of Colorado.
The professor's paternal grandfather, Abraham Casey, was a minister in the Methodist Episcopal Church, riding on the old ''circuit'' in southern Illinois, preaching ''without money and without price" on Sundays, and carrying on his farm during the rest of the week, in order to make a livelihood for himself and family. He was a native of Kentucky, was a descendant of one of the respected old families of Virginia, and was one of the pioneers of Jefferson County, Ill., settling there in 1818. His son, Rev. La Fayette Casey, father of the subject of this article, was born in Illinois, and likewise became a Methodist minister. He was a member of the conference of southern Illinois for many years, and during the Civil war was stationed at Alton, Ill. He was captain of
PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.
a company in the Black Hawk war and was one of the founders of Jefferson County. Having attained almost the allotted age of man, three-score and ten, he was summoned to his reward, his death occurring at his home in Centralia, Ill. His wife, Eleanor (Herrold) Casey, was a native of Missouri, her birth having taken place upon a farm near Cape Girardeau. She departed this life when in her fifty-fourth year. Of her six children all but two survive. One son, Robert, now of Denver, and interested chiefly in mining enterprises, was formerly quite prominent in educational circles, having been a teacher in Illinois, in Greeley, Colo., and in Boulder.
Prof. W. V. Casey was born in Edwardsville, Ill., February 23, 1860,, and after graduating from the Greenville high school in 1877 began his career as a teacher. He taught in southern Illinois until 1883, when he came to Colorado, and became principal in the Louisville school. At the end of two years he succeeded his brother Robert as superintendent of the Boulder school, and later he was placed in charge of the Pine street school. In January, 1893, he finished out the school year (for he had just left the place of county superintendent of schools) for Professor Harding, principal of the Longmont high school. Since that time he has occupied his present position, and under his able management the local schools are steadily advancing toward perfection. When he was first connected with the schools here, there were but two school buildings, the Central and the Pine street, and now, in addition to those there are the fine new Mapleton and Highland, as well as the high school, which has been merged into the preparatory school of the university. In his political views the professor is a Democrat, though he was elected by the Republicans to the superintendency of the county schools in 1888. He was a member of the Odd Fellows' society, being past officer of the same; is also a past officer of the encampment; belongs to the Woodmen of the World; the Fraternal Union, being a charter member of the Boulder Lodge; the Imperial Legion; and Boulder Lodge No. 45, A. F. & A. M. Of the last-mentioned lodge he has twice been master.
The marriage of Professor Casey and Miss Ida Row was solemnized in Denver in 1888. Mrs. Casey was born in Centralia, Ill., being a daughter of S. and Susan (Brown) Row, natives of Westmoreland County, Pa., and Tennessee, respectively. Her father, who is of German descent, is a veteran of the Civil war and is in the employ of the Illinois Central Railroad Company. His wife removed to southern Illinois with her parents in her girlhood. Mrs. Casey is one of six children. She was educated in music in the College of Music of the Illinois Female Seminary of Jacksonville and in the Chicago Musical College. She is gifted as a musician and is a valued member of the Young Ladies' Musical Club of Boulder. Professor Casey and wife have two children, Eleanor and Robert Lafayette.
T. DURBIN, M. D., surgeon to the Denver Consolidated Tramway Company and one of the successful physicians of Denver, is a descendant of an English family, whose first representatives in America were two brothers. His father, Jesse, who was born in Maryland, was the son of William Durbin, a jeweler in Baltimore. He was educated for the Methodist Episcopal ministry and for a time he preached, both in Maryland and Ohio, but his health broke down and he was obliged to seek a change of occupation. For a time he engaged in banking in Wooster, Ohio, and later had a drug store in Canton. In 1871, believing the change would be beneficial to his health, he came to Colorado, and, settling in Denver, purchased W. S. Cheesman's wholesale and retail drug business on Blake street, where he remained for nine years. He embarked in the surgical and dental business in 1880 and continued in the same until his death, which occurred in 1884, at the age of fifty-six. Since then the business, which is incorporated, has been carried on by his children, under the name of J. Durbin's Surgical and Dental Instrument Company. Until his death he retained his connection with the Northern Ohio Conference. He was instrumental in the founding of the University of Denver and was one of its trustees.
Rev. Jesse Durbin married Lucy Ann Cain, who was born in Winchester, W. Va., a daughter of Levi Cain, of that place. She died in Denver, February 16, 1898. Her five living children reside in Denver. Her oldest son, William R., who was his father's bookkeeper, died in Denver at the age of twenty-five, leaving one son, William R. Durbin, now residing in the state
PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.
of Washington. The others are: Mary E., wife of George S. Van Law, who is a member of the real-estate firm of Van Law & Gallup, in Denver; L. T., our subject; Jesse B. and Edward A., who are managers of the business left by their father; and Charles K., who is superintendent of the Denver Consolidated Tramway Company.
In Wooster, Wayne County, Ohio, Dr. Durbin was born May 5, 1858. He was educated in the high school of Canton. In 1873 he entered the drug business there, giving attention to the study of pharmacy, but in 1876 joined his father, with whom he continued in business until 1880, the business being at that time disposed of. Next he engaged in general merchandising as a member of the firm of Durbin Brothers at Gold Park, but after eighteen months sold out. He then entered the medical department of the University of Denver, from which he graduated two years later, in 1884, with the degree of M. D. For a few months he was engaged as a physician at the county hospital, but soon began in practice for himself. From 1884 to 1886 he was demonstrator of anatomy in the University of Denver, but resigned in the latter year owing to his removal to Central City. Two years were spent in that city, during which time he was coroner of Gilpin County. From there he removed to Villagrove, Saguache County, in the San Luis Valley, where for four years he was a practicing physician, county coroner and local surgeon for the Denver & Rio Grande Railroad and the Colorado Coal & Iron Company, the latter concern having two or three hundred men employed at Orient, eight miles up the mountain. While in Villagrove he became interested in the Sau Luis hot springs and assisted in organizing a company under the leadership of Chamberlin Brothers. The San Luis Hot Springs Company secured the finest hot springs in that locality and bought a section of land, upon which they built hotels and residences. The enterprise is yet in its incipiency, but without doubt the place in time will become a noted health and summer resort, for the water possesses curative properties and the climate is delightful.
Returning to Denver in November, 1891, Dr. Durbin has since engaged in practice, having his office on Fifteenth and Arapahoe streets. He is engaged in general professional practice, and has been surgeon to the Denver Tramway (now the Denver Consolidated Tramway) Company since his return to the city. He was also appointed on the hospital staff, but pressure of other duties prevented his acceptance. He is a member of the Denver and Arapahoe County and the State Medical Societies, and at one time was president of the alumni of the University of Denver. In 1897 he took a post-graduate course in general surgery at the New York Polyclinic. Politically he is a Republican, and fraternally belongs to Denver Lodge No. 7, A. P. &A. M., the Ancient Order of United Workmen and the Woodmen of the World. In this city, in November, 1886, he married Miss Ella Avery, who was born in Baraboo, Wis., and in 1871 came to Denver with her father, James B. Avery, a retired capitalist. They have two children, Jessie A. and Helen A. Durbin.
ARRY S. BADGER, president and superintendent of the Alauka Mining and Milling Company at Salina, Boulder County, was born in Boston, Mass., in 1862, the only child of Charles W. and Mary M. C. (Fowler) Badger, natives respectively of Montpelier, Vt., and Portland, Me. His father, who was a son of Charles Badger, a merchant of Montpelier, early gained a thorough knowledge of the mercantile business, in which he engaged for some years in Boston; but in 1870 he removed to California, where for years he operated a mine in Amador County. Returning to Boston in 1894 he died the same year. His wife makes her home with their only child.
The education of our subject was largely acquired in Boston, but was completed in the University of California, from which he graduated in 1884, with the degree of A. B. Afterward, with his father, he became interested in mining and the stock business, and for nine years engaged in dealing in cattle at San Luis Obispo. In 1897 he came to Boulder County, Colo., and was employed as superintendent of the Gold Extracting Mining and Supply Company at Wall street camp. His connection with the Alauka Mining and Milling Company dates from January, 1898, when he organized the company and began remodeling the old Williamson mill. The mill has a capacity of thirty tons, and the removal of the product is facilitated by a siding from the Colorado Northwestern Railroad. The location could not he
PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.
surpassed, this district comprising Gold Hill, Sugar Loaf and Sunshine, which are among the best mining districts in the state. A practical mill man of long experience has charge of the mill, and a complete assaying and sampling plant, with every facility for the sampling of ores, is an important adjunct. The ores are purchased on a sliding scale, proportionate to the value of the gold and silver they contain. A specialty is made of handling low-grade ores, averaging from $6 to $20 per ton, thus bringing into the market a product from the mines never before handled commercially. Politically Mr. Badger is a believer in Republican principles, but the demands of his business interests are such as to preclude his active participation in public affairs. However, he is a progressive and public-spirited citizen, and favors all measures for the benefit of the people and the advancement of the community.
EIL D. McKENZIE, one of the most prominent mine operators of Boulder County, is a representative citizen of Boulder and is vice-president and a director of the National State Bank here. He has been extensively interested in mining and agricultural affairs since he came to Colorado some thirty-two years ago, and is a member of the Mining Exchange of Denver. Politically a strong Populist, he was sent as a delegate to the national convention in St. Louis in 1896 which nominated Bryan.
In a family numbering six sons and three daughters, Neil B. McKenzie is the seventh in order of birth. He has lost one brother and one sister, and two of his brothers, Cohn and Daniel, are in Colorado, being engaged in mining in the vicinity of Boulder. The father, Prof. Donald McKenzie, was born in the neighborhood of Loch Elch, Scotland. With his father he came to America when a young man and was reared upon a farm in Nova Scotia, which the senior McKenzie carried on as long as he lived. The younger man received a superior education and was engaged in teaching and kindred work during his active years. For a long time he taught in the public schools of Cape Breton, in which place he lived up to the day of his death. He was in his sixty-eighth year when he died, and his wife, who survived him many years, reached the advanced age of eighty-four. She, too, was a native of Scotland, and bore the maiden name of Catherine McLeod. She accompanied her family to Nova Scotia, and in Cape Breton became acquainted with the man she later married.
N. D. McKenzie was born November 29, 1842, in Cape Breton, and was educated in the public schools of his native island. In 1862 he went to New Brunswick and engaged in the lumber business on the St. John's River. Thence he went to the Allegheny Mountains in Pennsylvania, and for about a year subsequent to the close of the Civil war carried on a lumbering trade in that state. In 1866 he came west, and for about two years was interested in mining hear Breckenridge, in Summit County. He then went to Blackhawk, Gilpin County, and there bought and sold claims and finally invested considerably in mines in Boulder County. He improved and placed in a favorable condition a mine at Caribou, known as the Poor Man's Mine, which he operated for twelve or fifteen years alone. He then sold that mine, in which, however, he retained an interest. He was superintendent of the company until 1894, when he withdrew from the concern. Among his possessions is a fine ranch of four hundred and eighty acres. It is situated about two and one-half miles east of Boulder, is improved with fences, good buildings and facilities for irrigation, and is a valuable and model ranch. Since settling permanently in Boulder he has served as a member of the school board here. He belongs to Silver Queen Lodge No. 112, I. O. O. F. A Mason of high standing. he was identified with Blackhawk Lodge No. 11, A. F. & A. M., and is now associated with Columbia Lodge No. 14, A. F. & A. M.; Boulder Chapter No. 7, R. A. M.; Mount Sinai Commandery No. 7, K. P., and is a member of the Denver Consistory and El Jabel Temple, Mystic Shrine.
The pleasant home of Mr. McKenzie is presided over by his estimable wife, formerly Miss Isabelle M. Backus a native of Milborn, Ill. Her parents, Benjamin and Mary (Griswold) Backus, who were natives of New York and Connecticut respectively, were early settlers in Illinois. The eldest child of Mr. and Mrs. McKenzie, Neil Backus, is a member of the Boulder high school class of '99. The four daughters are Maud, Isabelle, Catherine and Pauline.