Mardos Collection
 

JOSEPH W. ANDREW.


PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.

355

Boulder Lodge No. 45, A, F. & A. M., Boulder Chapter No. 7, R. A. M., Mount Sinai Commandery No. 7, K. T., and El Jebel Temple, Mystic Shrine.

     In 1871 Mr. Temple married Miss Nina M. Smith, of Blackhawk. She is a native of Wisconsin and a daughter of Nelson K. Smith, a pioneer of this valley. The union of Mr. and Mrs. Temple was blessed with two sons, Elmer S. and Paul E. The former received his higher education in the university here and the younger is now a student in the preparatory department, expecting to enter the university later. 


OSEPH W. ANDREW. Three-fourths of a mile north of the city limits of Boulder lies the improved and valuable farm owned by Mr. Andrew. In 1881 he purchased one hundred and twenty acres, but afterward sold fifty acres, leaving his present acreage seventy, upon which he has made improvements that greatly enhance its value. The success that has come to him is especially praiseworthy, when the fact is taken into consideration that he began for himself without capital and encountered hardships in attaining a competency.

     A native of Washington County, Pa., born March 9, 1839, our subject was a son of Ira and Chloe (Axtell) Andrew, and was one of five children, of whom, besides himself, a son and daughter survive. The former, Samuel, resides in Kansas, Edgar County, Ill. The latter, Lovina, is the widow of John Allender, of Washington, Washington County, Pa, The father, when a youth, learned the trade of a shoemaker, which he followed until 1850. He then purchased a tract of one hundred acres in Washington County, which place had been previously owned by his father. From that time until his death he followed general farm pursuits. He was a son-in-law of Luther Axtell, a native of New Jersey, but for many years a resident of Washington County, Pa., where he carried on a farm until his death.

     The advantages which our subject had in boyhood were exceedingly limited. At the age of twenty-one, in November, 1861, he enlisted in Company A, Eighty-fifth Pennsylvania Infantry, Capt. H. J. Vankirk commanding. Among the engagements in which he bore a part were the following: siege of Yorktown; Williamsburg, Va., May 5, 1862; Savage Station, Va., May 24, 1862; Seven Pines, Va., May 31, 1862; Jones Fort, Va., June 28, 1862; Black Water, Va., October 28, 1862; Southwest Creek, N. C., December 13, 1863; Kinston, N. C., December 14, 1863; Whitehall, N. C., December 16, 1863; Goldsborough, N. C., December 17, 1863; siege of Morris Island; siege of Forts Wagner and Greeg; and the expedition to White Marsk Island, Ga., February 22, 1864. Following the expedition last-named the regiment came north and joined Butler's division, being with him at the taking of City Point, Va., and remaining with him until Grant's army swung down there en route to Petersburg. In the battle of Malvern Hill, August 17, 1864, one hundred and four of the members of the regiment were killed or wounded, and all of the officers were either killed or missing. In this engagement our subject did not participate, as he was ill and in the hospital at the time. He rejoined the regiment September 23, 1864, after having been an inmate of the hospital for two months, and was then camped at Fort Morton, in front of Petersburg. October 14, 1864, the regiment was sent to the rear on account of the expiration of their service, and went to Portsmouth, Va., where they were in camp for a few days. October 29 our subject, with a number of others detailed from two companies, went on board the vessel "Northern Light," which proceeded to Point Lookout, Md., and took on board nine hundred rebel prisoners, expecting to make an exchange of prisoners at Atlanta, Ga., but while there, General Sherman arrived and blocked the exchange of a number of the prisoners. Proceeding to Charleston, S. C., where they arrived December 6, they made the exchange of the balance of the prisoners, and then proceeded to Annapolis, Md., arriving there December 17. On their journey north sixty of the Union prisoners died. From Annapolis they went to Norfolk, Va., and on the 19th started for Baltimore, arriving there on the 20th. From that city they went by rail to Pittsburg, where they were discharged two days later. Mr. Andrew arrived at his home December 24, 1864. During the two years following he assisted in the cultivation of the home farm.

     February 14, 1867, Mr. Andrew married Sarah Lovina Day, of Washington County, Pa. After-
   13


356

PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.

ward he removed to Edgar County, Ill., where he rented a farm. In 1871 he came to Colorado, arriving in Denver with a drove of horses the latter part of February. Coming through to Boulder, he purchased a farm of eighty acres three miles east of this city and here he began as a farmer and stock-raiser. In the spring of 1876 he sold his place and for five years farmed as a renter, after which, in 1881, he bought one hundred and twenty acres, seventy acres of which comprises his present farm. Fraternally he is a member of Centennial State Lodge No. 8, A. O. U. W., and Nathaniel Lyon Post No. 5, G. A. R. He and his wife became the parents of nine children, but have been bereaved by the loss of six, only three now living. Hilliard S., who was a student in the State University for two years, is engaged in mining in Eldora; Henry O., a graduate of the State University, is now studying law; and Ida M. is a student in the Boulder high school. The family are active in the work of the Presbyterian Church. In politics he is a member of the People's party. 


ERMAN S. YOUTSEY, county treasurer of Larimer County, was born near Seymonr, Jackson County, Ind., December 31, 1842, a son of Peter and Mary (Hays) Youtsey. His father, who was born near Circleville, Ohio, was a son of Peter Youtsey, a native of Pennsylvania, of German descent, and a pioneer of Ohio, later of Missouri, where he died. Purchasing an unimproved tract of land in Jackson County, Peter Youtsey, Jr., engaged in its cultivation until 1852, when he removed to Iowa and settled near Chariton, Lucas County, where he engaged in farm pursuits until his death. In the latter part of his life he spent some time in Colorado, but had no thought of permanently locating here, as his interests were elsewhere. In religion he was a consistent member of the Christian Church. His death occurred in 1888, when he was eighty-one years of age.

      The mother of our subject was born near old Fort Bologna, on Driftwood Fork of the White River, in Indiana. Her father, a native of Kentucky, served in the war of 1812 and was killed in an Indian fight that took place near Fort Bologna in 1813. His father, who probably came from Virginia, was killed by Indians in Kentucky.

     Mrs. Mary Youtsey was reared on the frontier and had few advantages, but was a well-informed woman nevertheless. She died in Kansas in 1886, near Great Bend, when almost eighty years of age. In her family there were eight children, namely: Malinda C., Mrs. Stout, who died in Iowa; Melissa, Mrs. Scott, of Kansas; Cordelia, Mrs. Goltry, of Russell, Iowa; Columbus, who died in Carthage, Mo., in 1896; Farilla, Mrs. McGill, of Great Bend, Kan.; John J., of Loveland, Colo., a retired physician; Herman S.; and Sarah, who died in Iowa when a young lady.

     When about ten years of age the subject of this sketch was taken by his parents to Iowa, traveling through Illinois in a "prairie schooner," and crossing the Illinois River at Peoria and the Mississippi at Burlington. He was reared on a farm at Chariton. His education, primarily acquired in public schools, was supplemented by an attendance of almost three years at Oskaloosa College. During the vacation months he engaged in teaching. Upon leaving college he embarked in the mercantile business, continuing thus engaged until 1871, when he came to Colorado and secured a position as teacher in the Boulder school. His brother, John J., had come to Colorado in 1864, and he was induced to come hither through favorable reports of the country. In 1877, after having taught for a time and engaged as deputy assessor of Boulder County for two years, he removed to the Big Thompson Valley, where he proved up a homestead, to which he added until he became the owner of two hundred and forty acres, devoted to general farming. In 1895 he sold this place, and has since given his attention entirely to official duties.

      In 1881, on the Greenback ticket, Mr. Youtsey was elected county assessor and two years later he was re-elected, serving from January, 1882, to January, 1886, two terms, with office in the old courthouse. He was then continued as deputy assessor until January, 1892, and meantime, in 1888, took possession of the assessor's office in the new courthouse. In 1892 he was appointed deputy county treasurer, which he held under F. P. Stover and J. L. Thomas, two terms. In 1897, on the People's party ticket, he was elected by a good majority, being the only successful candidate on that ticket. He took the oath of office January 1, 1898, for two years. He has been connected with Larimer County offices for


PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.

357

longer period than any other officer. His record is an excellent one, showing that he is faithful to every duty and energetic in his work. He is a firm believer in silver money and thinks that those who champion the cause of silver should unite, sinking other differences regarding tariff, etc., and making the money question the sole issue.

     In November, 1875, in Boulder, Mr. Youtsey married Miss Alice Stephens, who was born in Ohio, and in 1870 accompanied her father, Robert Stephens, to Colorado, joining the Union colony at Greeley, but removing in 1874 to Boulder County and settling upon a farm near Longmont. The two children of Mr. and Mrs. Youtsey are Floyd S. and Otho E., nineteen and ten years of age respectively. The older son was in the draughting department of the Cambria Iron Works for two years, and is now a student in the State Agricultural College. 


EORGE A. ANDREWS is one of the honored citizens of Boulder, of which place he was one of the pioneers, as he came here during the Civil war. He has been a witness of great changes in the more than thirty-five years that have elapsed since his arrival here, and has done not a little toward the development of this town. He has himself put up buildings here on land where he has seen deer and other wild game roaming, and when, it was proposed to locate the state university here, he was one of the most influential in securing the institution, and donated twenty acres of land for the purpose. All public improvements have always been warmly advocated by him, and his ballot is sure to be cast on the side of progress.

      A son of Asa and Ruth (Kendrick) Andrews, our subject was born in Saco, Me., June 6, 1832, being one of their ten children. Albert served during the Civil war in the Union army. John William, another son, served in the United States navy in the conflict between the North and South. The Andrews family is of Scotch-English extraction. Asa Andrews was a native of Maine, and was occupied in conducting a merchant tailoring establishment in the town of Saco up to 1835, when he retired and spent his last years upon his farm in that vicinity. He died in 1843, when but fifty-five years of age. His wife, likewise a native of Maine, lived to be eighty-four years of age, her death occurring in 1878. Her father, Captain Kendrick, was master of his own vessel, which was engaged in the coasting trade in Atlantic waters, and her mother was a Miss Warren, of Massachusetts Quaker stock. She lived to be eighty-seven years old. Mr. and Mrs. Andrews were identified with the Presbyterian Church and were exemplary Christians, beloved by all who knew them.

     George Andrews was reared in his native town, and received his education in the higher branches of learning in the Saco Academy. When in his eighteenth year he went to Lawrence, Mass., where he served a two-years' apprenticeship to the carpenter's trade. Then he worked at his calling in New York City up to 1853, and for the following four years engaged in contracting in Massachusetts. In 1857 he turned his face westward, and was a resident of Galva, Ill., for the next six years. May 1, 1863, he started for Colorado, reaching here after a journey of about two months. Coming across the plains he drove two yoke of oxen and two yoke of cows, and took the route up the Platte River, by way of Plattsmouth, Neb. July 2, 1863, he arrived in Boulder County, having made good time in his long trip. With Charles Hamblin he located on a ranch adjoining the present town on the southeast, and improved the property. The succeeding year they divided the land, Mr. Andrews becoming the owner of one hundred and twenty acres. He continued to cultivate this place and live thereon until 1869, when he changed his place of residence to the town. He rented his farm up to 1874 and then sold the place. The first flourmill put up in Boulder was the Sternberg null, built in 1872 on his land. In 1869 he established a general merchandise store here, but sold out two years later. He built and still owns a store at the corner of Pearl and Thirteenth streets, and erected his comfortable house at Walnut and Nineteenth streets. In his numerous business ventures he has been quite successful, as he has exercised good judgment and forethought and has been fair and just in all his dealings. He possesses the respect of a large circle of acquaintances and friends, and justly deserves their esteem.

     April 13, 1857, Mr. Andrews married Miss Mary A. Ellsworth, of Massachusetts. Her father, James Ellsworth, was an officer in the


358

PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.

United States navy, before and during the Civil war. Of the four children born to our subject and wife two are living, and all were educated in the University of Colorado. Charles died when in his thirty-third year. Mina is Mrs. Maulford Whiteley, of Boulder; Susie May married Victor Gothe, of Denver, and died September 15, 1898; Frances R. is at home with her parents.

     Mr. Andrews was initiated into the Masonic order when he was a resident of Galva, Ill., and is now a demitted member. He belonged to the Odd Fellows' society when he was a young man, in Massachusetts. He is connected with the Boulder Building and Loan Association. Since the days of Fremont he has been an ardent Republican. 


EORGE F. FONDA, one of the most enterprising and successful of Boulder's business men, is vice-president of the First National Bank of this place and is financially interested in many local concerns and industries which are of benefit to this community. He has been a resident of Boulder for nearly a quarter of a century, or his entire adult life, and his own career has been closely associated with the upbuilding and development of the town.

     The Fonda family is of Holland-Dutch extraction. The founder of the American branch in this country settled here in 1654, and representatives of the family have been prominently connected with every war in which our government has since figured, except war with Spain. The name is found in the history of the war of the Revolution, the war of 1812, the Mexican war and the Civil war. Gen. John G. Fonda, after serving in the war with Mexico, became a general in the war of the Rebellion; he was a civil engineer by occupation.

      The parents of our subject are Henry D. and Catherine (Farrell) Fonda, who were natives of the Mohawk Valley, N. Y., and of Pennsylvania, respectively. The father was a civil engineer, and for years in the early days of the New York Central & Hudson River Railroad he was employed in that capacity by the company. Later he removed to Illinois, and settled on a farm in Hancock County, near the town of Augusta. He was county surveyor there for five terms and helped drive the Mormons out of Hancock County when they became obnoxious to the citizens. In 1874 Mr. Fonda came to Colorado, and taking up his abode in Boulder, practiced civil engineering and mineral surveying up to the time of his death, at sixty-nine years of age. He was married in Peoria, Ill., and his widow is now a resident of Denver. Of their ten children, all but one is living.

     G. F. Fonda was born in Augusta, Ill., and passed the first thirteen years of his life in that state. In 1874 he came to Boulder, where his brother, Ghiles H., was in the drug business, his store being situated on the land now owned by our subject, and on which he has since built a substantial two-story and basement building, modern, heated by steam and lighted by electricity. Soon after his arrival here he began to work for his brother in the drug store, with a view to learning the business. He received $10 a month at first and gradually a larger salary. He was ambitions and enterprising, and when his brother determined to remove to Leadville in 1878, the youth, then but seventeen years old, bought the business on time. He studied pharmacy and by wisdom and judgment beyond his years gained the respect and confidence of the citizens and built up a lucrative trade. He now deals in wholesale drugs, his patrons being located in small towns of this county and adjoining territory, and it is safe to say that he controls the largest trade in northern Colorado. He also keeps a fine line of wall-paper, paints, oils, etc. For a time he was interested in the manufacture of soda-water and was a dealer in mineral waters, but his brother is now managing that business. For some years our subject has been vice-president and a director of the Boulder Milling and Elevator Company.

      Politically Mr. Fonda is a Democrat, and was elected alderman from the first ward, but resigned before the completion of his term. He is past master of Columbia Lodge No. 14, A. F. & A. M.; belongs to Boulder Chapter No. 7, R. A: M. (of which he is past high priest); Mount Sinai Commandery No. 7, K. T., and El Jebel Temple, Mystic Shrine. He. also is a member of the Uniform Rank of the Knights of Pythias and the Ancient Order of United Workmen. In the Colorado Pharmaceutical Association he has been vice-president.

     The marriage of Mr. Fonda and Miss Mary E. Jones was solemnized in Boulder November 26,


PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.

359

1879. Mrs. Fonda is a native of Michigan, and is a daughter of David Jones, one of the early settlers of Nederland, Boulder County. She received her higher education in the University of Colorado. To Mr. and Mrs. Fonda two daughters were born, Elizabeth and Catherine. 


ORNELIUS H. BOND, sheriff of Larimer County, was born in Guernsey County, Ohio, across the river from Wheeling, W. Va., October 9, 1855, a son of Joshua H. and Susan (Huffman) Bond. His father, who was born near Baltimore, was a son of Joshua Bond, Sr., also a native of Maryland, and a pioneer farmer of Ohio. Two of his brothers were soldiers in the war of 1812. The family is of English descent, but has been identified with American history since an early period in the settlement of Maryland.

     From Guernsey County, where he engaged in farming, Joshua H. Bond removed to Harrison County, Ohio, where he still resides, being now seventy-one years of age. His wife, who was born in Virginia, died in Ohio in 1880, when forty-nine years of age. She was a daughter of John Huffman, a circuit rider in the Methodist Episcopal Church and a pioneer missionary, who traveled on horseback with saddlebags from town to town and accomplished much good among the frontiersmen. He and his wife died within fifteen hours of each other and were buried in the same grave.

     The subject of this sketch was the oldest of seven children who attained years of maturity. Of these three sons and three daughters are now living. He was educated in public schools and an academy, and at the age of twenty began to teach, in which work he was engaged for four years, being principal of a school for one year. March 7, 1879, he started for Colorado, and on reaching this state located in Loveland, where he secured employment on a ranch. Later he clerked in a store. In 1885, with a partner, he started in the grocery business in Loveland, but after two years closed out the business and resumed work as a clerk. For two years he was with Mr. Seaman in the general merchandise business as a partner, but then sold his interest and again embarked in the grocery business. On retiring from that business he represented the Deering Harvester Company.

     On the Republican ticket, in 1895, Mr. Bond was elected sheriff of Larimer County. Two years later he was re-elected as the nominee of the silver Republicans, endorsed by the Democrats. He received a plurality of twelve hundred and thirty-four, which was the largest received by any of the candidates elected at that time. He held the office from January, 1896, to January, 1898, and his present term extends from January, 1898, to January, 1900. While in Loveland he was alderman for several terms. Fraternally he is connected with the Knights of Pythias, U. R., in Fort Collins, the Woodmen of the World in Loveland, the Eastern Star, and was made a Mason in Loveland Lodge No. 53, A. F. & A. M.

     In Loveland, in 1888, Mr. Bond married Miss Frona Sullivan, who was born in Iowa and died February 20, 1895, leaving a daughter, Doris. The second marriage of Mr. Bond united him with Miss Alma Sanborn, who was born in Guernsey County, Ohio, a daughter of George W. Sanborn, of Vermont. Mr. and Mrs. Bond are the parents of two children, twins, Frank and Florence. 


ALTER A. CHAMBERLAIN is one of the most popular and enterprising young men of Boulder. He was born near Council Bluffs, Iowa, September 23, 1859, and is the son of William O. and Frances Rogers (Allen) Chamberlain. His father, whose history is given among the representative citizens of Denver, was for many years a resident of Peru, South America, where he was engaged in the manufacture of silk, and after returning to the states located in Colorado and established a large photograph gallery, and gave to the public the first views of Colorado scenery. He married Frances Rogers Allen, an English lady, living with her parents in Lima, Peru, and at present both reside in Denver. Six children were born to them, of whom four are living, two sons and two daughters.

     The youngest of the family, our subject, was reared in Denver, and educated in the public and high schools until he reached his sixteenth year, when he entered his father's store on Larimer and Fifteenth streets and learned the business under him. He afterwards accepted a position with W. H. Jackson, in the same business, and remained with him eleven years. He there


360

PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.

finished some of the finest mountain sceneries ever printed. He was the first man in the west to make prints, and is credited with making the first and largest section, or panoramic pictures. In 1892 he resigned this position to take charge of the Chamberlain sampling works in Boulder. W. J. Chamberlain & Co. have branch works in Georgetown, Blackhawk and Denver, besides the one in Boulder. This is a steam plant, with a capacity of thirty tons and is the oldest of the kind in Boulder. The company do crushing and assaying, and purchase a large quantity of ore outright.

     He was married in Denver to Miss Jennie Herrick, daughter of Samuel E. Herrick, a native of Indiana. Their union has been blessed with three children: Estes H., Hyla K. and Helena F. He is one of the officers of Columbia Lodge No. 14, A. F. & A. M.; a past officer in the Ancient Order of United Workmen, the Woodmen of the World and the Knights of the Maccabees. He is treasurer in the Fraternal Aid and Woodman Circle, and holds the same office in the Select Knights of the Ancient Order of United Workmen. He was a member of the old government guards, state milita for three years, and joined the Archer Hose Company of Denver as a torch boy. He is now a member of the Boulder Hose Company and is serving the third term as foreman. He is a Republican, but is not an active politician. 


NIVERSITY OF COLORADO. Adjoining the city of Boulder and overlooking it from the high ground on the south side of Boulder Creek stand the buildings that comprise the University of Colorado. The scenery is incomparable. To the west may be seen the highest foothills of the Rocky Mountains, and far in the distance gleam the snow-capped heights of Arapahoe Peak. As the eye turns to the south, there may be seen the beautiful mesas; while the entire expanse to the north shows fertile plains, where the summer sun falls on green fields and tiny lakes.

      The history of the University of Colorado dates back to 1861, when the legislature enacted its establishment at Boulder. Nothing, however, was done toward opening the institution for some years. In 1871 fifty-two acres of land, valued at $5,000, were given for university grounds, and three years later the legislature of the then territory appropriated $15,000, which sum was doubled by the citizens of Boulder. In 1875 congress set apart seventy-two sections of land for the support of the university. The next year the territory became a state, and the constitution provided that the university should become a state institution, and thus be entitled to the lands appropriated by congress. The first general assembly of the state made provision for its permanent support by levying a tax of one-fifth of a mill upon the property of the state; also, for a fund to be secured by the sale of land granted by the United States.

     In September, 1877, the university opened for the reception of students. There were two instructors and forty-four pupils. In 1878 the general assembly appropriated $7,000 for apparatus, furniture, etc. Five years later a special fund was created by a tax of one-fifth of a mill for 1883 and 1884, which yielded $40,000, and was expended for apparatus, additional buildings, etc. The university is maintained by a tax levy of one-fifth of a mill on the assessed valuation of the property of the state. In 1891 a special appropriation of $30,000 was made, which was used toward the erection of the Hale Scientific Building, a beautiful structure of modern style of architecture. Beginning with the general assembly of 1893, a large special appropriation in addition to the one-fifth mill has been made for each biennial period.

      From time to time different departments have been added to the university, until it now comprises the following: College of Liberal Arts, Graduate Courses, Colorado School of Applied Science, Colorado School of Medicine, Colorado School of Law and Colorado State Preparatory School. In the College of Liberal Arts four bachelor degrees are conferred, A. B., Ph. B., B. L. and B. S. These courses have in common certain basic studies, but are differentiated by characteristic studies for each degree. Group election has recently become an important feature of the curriculum, the graduate degrees are: M. A., M. S. and Ph. D.

     The School of Law was opened in September, 1892, and is conducted upon the most advanced methods of legal instruction. Special attention is given to mining and irrigation law, in which a Colorado attorney needs to be well grounded; as well as in the broader realm of national and international law. The student is grounded in the


PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.

361

principles of English and American law, while unusual phases of the law are presented in lectures by the most distinguished jurists of the Rocky Mountain region.

     The School of Applied Science was established in 1893. Its advantages are apparent to all who are familiar with the requirements of a high citizenship in Colorado. The requirements for admission are the same as in the College of Liberal Arts. The principle is carried into practice here that thorough training on theory, followed by the application of theory to practice, is the only rational preparation for engineering.

     The School of Medicine was the first professional department established in the university. Since the reorganization of the school in 1892, its growth has been rapid. A hospital has been erected near the university grounds. The school has a large corps of professors, lecturers and assistants. The medical course extends over four years, of nine months each. A very high standard of training is maintained in the school.

     The State Preparatory School, conducted by the university, has for its object the attainment of a high standard of college preparatory education. This school occupies a substantial building in the center of Boulder, and is furnished with laboratories, library and other facilities.

     The School of Music, technically, is not a department of the university, but was organized to promote musical culture throughout the state.

     It is the pride of the Colorado people that nowhere in the United States can a classical education be secured at less cost than in the State University. The tuition is as free as the Colorado sunshine and pure air. Here the young men and women of the state may obtain an education equal to that to be obtained in the best universities of the land. That the people appreciate the advantages offered is shown by the enrollment, including the Preparatory School, of more than seven hundred students.

     There are now twelve university buildings on the campus. The Medical, Chemical, Engineering buildings and the gymnasium were dedicated in 1898, three years after the dedication of the Hale Scientific building. The engineering building, as thus completed, contains twelve rooms, besides well-equipped shops, and is a model of its kind. The gymnasium, which is 80x40, adjoins the athletic field, and its entire space is thrown into one hall, provided with a platform at one end and a gallery at the other.

     Having existed as a university for twenty-one years, the Colorado State University may now be said to have attained its majority, and what it has already accomplished may be taken as an index of what it will accomplish in the future. Its work has been definite and far reaching. It has awakened in young men and women a desire for knowledge and an ambition to broaden their mental horizons. It has developed their mind, enlarged their aspirations and uplifted their thoughts. What it has done in the past it will do in a larger measure in the future. In the enlightened citizenship of the state, in the refinement of its daughters and the statesmanship of its sons, the good accomplished by the university will live through countless years to come. 


AMES H. BAKER, A. M., LL. D, president of the University of Colorado, was born in Harmony, Me., October 13, 1848, a son of Wesley and Lucy (Hutchins) Baker, natives of Harmony and New Portland, Me., respectively. His grandfather, Lemuel, was a son of Joseph Baker, a native of Massachusetts. Agriculture has been the principal occupation of the family and longevity noticeable among its members. James Hutchins, the father of Mrs. Lucy Baker, was a member of the Maine legislature. Josiah Parker, her grandfather, was a member of General Washington's bodyguard.

     In 1869 the subject of this sketch entered Bates College at Lewiston, Me., from which he graduated in 1873, and afterward he was employed as principal of the Yarmouth (Me.) high school. Resigning that position in 1875, he came west to take charge of the Denver high school. His influence in that city was felt from the first. He kept abreast with the most advanced educational methods of the times and was quick to adopt their most desirable features, applying them, with such modifications as he thought best, in his own field of labor. During the seventeen years of his service in Denver, the attendance increased from fifty pupils to seven hundred and one of the finest high school buildings in the country was erected.

     While at the head of the Denver high school, Mr. Baker took an active part in the educational work of the state. He became active in the work


362

PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.

of the State Teachers' Association, and in 1880 served as its president, while five years later he was made president of the high school and college section. In 1886 he was elected a member of the National Council of Education, and in 1890 he served as its chairman on the relation of high schools to colleges. In 1891 he was elected as president of the highest educational council in the United States.

     In January, 1892, Mr. Baker accepted the presidency of the State University of Colorado. His influence has been wonderfully apparent in the increased usefulness of the university and its enlarged attendance. Under his leadership, the school has attained an enviable reputation abroad and in every town of the state, and the university has become the pride of every educator in the state as well as of every citizen in Boulder. Although the growth in the number of students has been remarkably rapid, the standards and efficiency of the various departments at the same time have been constantly improved. That the character of the work done in the University of Colorado is widely recognized appears in many ways, but in none more notably than in an editorial recently published in Minerva, the German yearbook of the educational world. This ranks the University of Colorado amongst the first eleven American universities and the first five state universities. This estimate is based upon faculties, facilities, standards and character of graduate work.

     In 1883 President Baker was the orator of the day before the Alumni Association of his alma mater, and that institution in 1892 conferred upon him the degree of LL. D. He was a member of the committee of ten that made the famous report on secondary education in the United States and was the one who originated the scheme of such an investigation. His "Elementary Psychology" was published in 1890, besides which he has written many valuable papers and delivered many important addresses. His psychology has been extensively used as a text book, both in high school and academies. Besides his regular work he has been a constant student of psychology and philosophy and has also kept in touch with developments made in other lines of scientific thought.

      The marriage of Mr. Baker took place in Denver, his wife being Miss Jennie V. Hilton, who was born in New York state. She is a daughter of Rev. John V. Hilton, who was a Congregational clergyman in Boston, and later in Denver. Mr. and Mrs. Baker have two children, Hilton and Helen. 


EVILO LOVELAND, who came to Colorado in the government employ in 1857, has made his home in Fort Collins since 1895. He was born in Durham, Middlesex County, Conn., in March, 1838, and was the oldest of three children, his sister being Mrs. Ellen Isbell, of New Haven, Conn., while his brother, Elbridge, was a sailor. His father, Isaac Loveland, was born in Durham, and was a descendant of one of the first settlers at Saybrook, Middlesex County. For years he engaged in farming at Durham, but in 1866 he came to Colorado and settled on the Cache la Poudre River, where he engaged in agricultural pursuits until his death, in 1890, at seventy-eight years. His wife, Susan Hall, was born in Killingworth, Middlesex County, member of an old Connecticut family; she died at Durham when her children were young.

     It was in the summer of 1857 that our subject joined a government expedition that started from Fort Leavenworth and afterward divided, part going up the Platte under Colonel Sumner and the remainder going up the Arkansas to a point below the mouth of the Cache la Poudre. The latter expedition our subject accompanied, under Major Sedgwick, traveling with mule-train up the Arkansas and meeting the other expedition at a point previously arranged, after which Colonel Sumner took command of the entire force. They encountered the Indians and had a fight with them on Solomon's Fork. In the fall of the same year the train returned to Leavenworth. From that time until 1861 Mr. Loveland continued in the government service every summer on the plains. In 1858 he went to Utah on a Mormon expedition. The next year he drove the team of the Smoky Hill Express, owned by Jones & Russell, between Leavenworth and Denver, and later he was employed by the same firm in herding mules. In 1860 he went to New Mexico for the government.

     During the war Mr. Loveland was wagon master, also inspector and receiver of horses, in the west and southwest. In the siege of Vicks-



© 2002 by Pam Rietsch, Ted & Carole Miller