GEORGE K. PEASLEY.
PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.
burg he was taken sick and afterward spent a year in Rolla and Springfield, Mo. In the spring of 1864 he was discharged at Springfield, Mo., and in the summer of the same year he again came to Colorado. This time he settled in Larimer County, twelve miles southeast of the present site of Fort Collins, on the Cache la Poudre, where he took a homestead of one hundred and sixty acres, and, with two others, made a private ditch. He continued raising stock and farm products on that place until 1895, when he sold out and bought a home in Fort Collins.
Politically Mr. Loveland is a pronounced Republican. He was made a Mason in Collins Lodge No. 19, A. F. & A. M. In 1876 he was elected county commissioner and served in that capacity for one term of three years. In Greeley he was united in marriage with Miss Sarah Carpenter, a native of Ohio, and daughter of Daniel Carpenter, a member of the Union colony, coming to Greeley in 1871.
EORGE K. PEASLEY, deceased, was a leading representative of the business interests of Greeley, where he was extensively engaged in buying and shipping stock, and also conducted a hardware business, and was a director in the First National Bank. Of excellent business ability and broad resources, he attained a prominent place among the substantial citizens of Weld County, and was a recognized leader in public affairs. He won success by his well-directed, energetic efforts, and the prosperity that came to him was certainly well deserved.
Mr. Peasley was born in Burlington, Iowa, August 15, 1847, and was a son of John F. and Lucretia Peasley, representative of a well-known and highly respected family of Illinois. Our subject was successfully engaged in farming in Henderson County until 1880, when he came to Colorado and located at Evans, where he was engaged in business for about three years with Capt. B. D. Harper, under the firm name of Harper, Peasley & Co. He then came to Greeley, where the company was later re-organized under the name of the Illinois Live Stock Company, with Mr. Peasley as general manager. He and his brother-in-law, Nat. Bruen, of Henderson County, Ill., probably did more to raise the quality and standard of roadsters and track horses in that and adjoining counties than any other two individuals. They owned the noted horses Egmont and Fame, brought from Kentucky, and many of Egmont's colts have won a worldwide reputation. Mr. Peasley became one of the most energetic and active business men of Greeley; was a member of the hardware firm of Robie & Peasley; was a director of the First National Bank; owned an excellent farm of three hundred and twenty acres of land under ditch in Weld County, and was also interested in real estate in Salt Lake, Utah.
On the 7th of January, 1874, Mr. Peasley was united in marriage to Miss Mary E. King, of La Harpe, Ill., a daughter of Calvin and Jane (Austin) King. She grew to womanhood in her native town, living there until her marriage, when she and her husband located on the old Peasley homestead in Henderson County, near the town of Decorra. To them were born four children, namely: George S., who died in infancy; Leroy, Maude and Mabel. Mr. Peasley had one sister, Mrs. Nat. Bruen, of Iowa, and two brothers, Frank and Charles.
While shipping cattle to Omaha, Mr. Peasley was killed by falling between the cars at Julesburg September 17, 1895. He was a prominent member of the Ancient Order of United Workmen and the Knights of Pythias, and was buried under the auspices of both fraternities, the funeral services being conducted by Rev. O. J. Moore, of the Methodist Episcopal Church. His genial, pleasant manner made him popular in social as well as business circles, and he was recognized as one of the foremost citizens in northern Colorado, honored and respected by all who knew him.
HARLES B. ANDREWS, of Fort Collins, is the owner of large landed tracts in Larimer County. His home farm, known as Shadeland, is named from the fact of the fine grove of trees on the place, which comprises one hundred and twenty well-improved acres, within the city limits. His ranch, which is called Shetland, takes its name from the fact that he long raised Shetland ponies on the place, having brought the first herd ever in the state, and making from time to time several importations of ponies. Now, however, he gives his attention largely to raising fullblooded registered Herefords, of which
PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.
he has a large number. Adjoining Fort Collins to the west he has two hundred and forty acres, much of which is laid out in cherry and apple orchards. All of his land is under irrigation, and he is interested in and a director of most of the ditches on the south side of the Cache la Poudre.
John Andrews, who was an old laird of Scotland, and owned the town of Ingleston, brought his family to America and settled in Allegheny City, Pa., where he lived retired. Like his forefathers, he was a strict Presbyterian. His son, Col. James Andrews, was born in Dumfriesshire, Scotland, and engaged in contracting, having contracts for bridges at Pittsburg and along the Pennsylvania Railroad at different places. With Captain Eades he became interested in the building of the famous Eades' bridge at St. Louis, and contracted for the tunnel through that city to the Union depot. Next, with Captain Eades, he assisted in building the jetties at the mouth of the Mississippi, doing the most of the work on money advanced by himself, not receiving any money from the government until the completion of the work. He was engaged in building a railroad across the isthmus at Tehauntepec when Captain Eades died and the work was abandoned. The two, Captain Eades and Colonel Andrews, worked together harmoniously and successfully, the former influencing and working with politicians, the latter carrying out practical plans. But when Captain Eades died, Colonel Andrews gave up the work, as he had no taste for working with politicians. He embarked in the iron manufacturing business at Pittsburg, where he bought the Moorehead and McLean foundries, and operated it as long as he lived. In the rolling mills he manufactured a fine grade of steel rails. He was a director in many banks, street railway and bridge companies, and took an active part in many local enterprises. He owned a beautiful home, known as Ingleside, winch was situated in Allegheny City on Nunnery Hill. There his death occurred in July, 1897, when he was seventy-two years of age. His wife, who was Maria Carson, a native of the north of Ireland, accompanied her parents to Allegheny, Pa., and is still living at Ingleside. They were the parents of eight children, namely: Mary, wife of Alexander Cochran, of St.. Louis, Mo.; Ella, of Allegheny; Charles B.; Sidney, who is assistant solicitor for the Illinois Central Railroad and resides in Chicago; Rie, of Allegheny; Robert, a stockman owning a large ranch in Larimer County; Walter and Eades, who live in Pittsburg.
In Allegheny, Pa., where he was born August 6, 1834, Mr. Andrews laid the foundation of his education, which was subsequently enlarged by attendance at the Western University of Pittsburg. On account of ill health he was obliged to leave college prior to the completion of the regular course. Hoping that a change might be beneficial, he traveled through Florida and California. In 1871 he passed through Denver, en route to California, and the next year returned, settling in Fort Collins, where he embarked in the stock business, becoming one of the most extensive cattle dealers here. For some time he was interested with Abner Loomis in the purchase and sale of cattle. He had his range first at Fort Casper, Wyo., later near the Black Hills, and owns several thousand acres of land, all fenced, in Larimer County, at the headwaters of the Cache la Poudre. Besides other interests, he was a charter member of the company that organized the State Bank and is now a director in the Poudre Valley Bank.
In Fort Collins Mr. Andrews married Miss Julia Henderson, in March, 1881 who was born in La Grange, Mo., a daughter of John W. Henderson, a native of old Virginia. Her paternal grandfather removed with the family to Lewis County, Mo., where he and later his son engaged in farming. In 1880 the latter came to Leadville, but after two years there, settled in Fort Collins, where he is now superintendent of two ditches. He married Henrietta Durkee, a native of Missouri, and daughter of Lucien Durkee, whose wife was a Miss Bourne, of Kentucky. Mr. and Mrs. Henderson had three children, but one, a son, Lucien, died in Silverton, where he was mining; the other son, Joseph, is living in Fort Collins. Mrs. Andrews was educated in La Grange College. Mr. and Mrs. Andrews have one son, James Henderson, now a student at the State Agricultural College.
Politically Mr. Andrews is a Republican. He was made a Mason in Collins Lodge No. 19, A. F. & A. M., to which he belongs, as he also does to Collins Chapter No. 11, R. A. M., DeMolay Commandery No. 13, K. T., Colorado Consistory of Denver, and El Jebel Temple,
PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.
N. M. S. He and his wife are Presbyterians in religions belief. In 1898 he represented the Wyoming Cattle Growers' Association, of which he is a member, in the National Stock Growers' Convention in Denver. In earlier days, when game was plentiful, he heartily enjoyed a hunt on the plains, where he frequently saw thousands of elks and as many buffaloes in a herd. The advance of civilization, however, has had its effect upon wild animals and there are now few to be found by even the most ardent hunter.
EV. JOHN BAPTIST RAVERDY was born in Rheins, France, June 24, 1831, and was ordained a sub-deacon in 1850. After nine years, hearing of the thousands who were crossing the plains to the mines of the Rocky Mountains, he felt there would be need of a spiritual adviser here, and he therefore crossed the ocean. Soon afterward Bishop Lamy ordered him to go to the mountain region with Father Machebeuf. He arrived in Denver October 29, 1860, where he found between thirty and forty Catholics. Though the outlook was not encouraging he urged his associate to build a church and this was done. On a foundation so unhopeful was built what is now known as St. Mary's Cathedral, on Stout and Fifteenth streets, then out on the prairie.
While Bishop Machebeuf was building the church, Father Raverdy made a horseback tour of the southern part of the state. He arrived at Huerfano November 15, 1860, and remained there for some days, engaged in the sacred duties of his profession. He journeyed to and fro, enduring all the hardships of pioneer life, suffering exposure, and sometimes almost fainting from weariness, but never growing discouraged. Many a time he slept with no canopy save the arched vault of heaven, and his fare was poor and plain, but no one ever heard a word of complaint from his lips. On the other hand, he rejoiced that it was his privilege to engage in the holy calling of a priest. In 1864 he visited Utah and spent some weeks with the Catholics at Salt Lake. He then pushed his way on to Montana, where he found thousands of men engaged in a search for gold, and the month he spent among those ofttimes discouraged miners was fruitful of much good.
In 1866 he accepted the pastorate at Central City, with the spiritual oversight also of Empire, Idaho Springs, Georgetown, Boulder and other small settlements, and continued at the head of this work until 1871. Three years previous to this his old friend and loved associate appointed him his vicar-general. The tie between these two men was peculiarly strong and affectionate, and continued until death separated them. Father Raverdy returned home from France to learn that Bishop Machebeuf had passed away, and the shock undoubtedly hastened his own death, which occurred in Denver November 18, 1889.
ON. HENRY P. H. BROMWELL was born in Baltimore, Md., August 26, 1823, the descendant of English ancestors who adhered to the Quaker faith. His grandfather, William, was born in 1751, in Maryland; but the father, Henry, was a native of Richmond, Va. For some years the latter was a lumber merchant of Baltimore, thence went to Cincinnati, and later settled in Clark County, Ill., and finally removed to Charleston, Coles County, where he died at seventy-four years. When a boy of seventeen years he took part in the war of 1812 and was present at the defense of North Point. He married Henrietta Holmes, daughter of Lemuel and granddaughter of Joseph Holmes, whose ancestors came to this country in the "Mayflower" and was for years a wealthy shipping merchant of Boston and New York. Mrs. Bromwell died in Denver, in January, 1882, aged eighty-six years. Of her six children, only one survives.
When the family left Cincinnati our subject was five years of age. He was admitted to the bar at Vandalia, Ill., in 1853, and while practicing law, published a paper called the Age of Steam and Fire. For four years he was county judge, and after removing to Charleston, he was elected, on the Republican ticket, a member of congress from the seventh district and re-elected after two years, serving from 1865 to 1869, and taking an active part in all the stormy legislation that culminated in the attempted impeachment of President Johnson. He was a member of the constitutional convention of Illinois in 1869. In 1865-66 he was grand master of the grand lodge of Masons in Illinois.
Coming to Denver in 1870, Judge Bromwell engaged in the practice of law. He was a mem-
PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.
ber of the territorial council of 1874, the constitutional convention of 1875-76 and the legislature of 1879, and while in the latter position he introduced and secured the passage of the bill to establish the irrigation system of Colorado. In 1881, under appointment by Governor Pitkin he made the revision of the statutes of the state, which on completion were published in one large volume. Ill health led him to retire from the practice of the law and from public life in 1889; but, though retired, he still takes a warm interest in all matters pertaining to the welfare of the people and the prosperity of the nation. Formerly a Republican, after a careful study of the needs of our country he was led to change his views in 1884 and has since been a Democrat. At one time he was connected with the Odd Fellows. He is a member of the lodge, chapter and commandery of Masons, and is past grand master of the grand lodge of Colorado. In Marshall, Ill., he married Emily F. Payne, daughter of John W. Payne, an attorney in Indiana, where she died during a visit to her old home. She was the mother of three children: Henrietta F.; Henry P., who died while a student of law, at nineteen years of age; and Emily, who died in girlhood.
HARLES P. MILLER, M. D., is in point of years of active professional practice the oldest resident physician and surgeon of Fort Collins, where he has resided since September of 1878. In 1880 he built the residence he now occupies, a commodious and comfortable home, around which are large grounds with fruit and shade trees. He owns a forty-acre farm near Fort Collins, on which is a cherry orchard with five hundred early Richmond cherry trees.
The Miller family was identified with the early history of Vermont. From Bridgewater, that state, Lewis Miller came to Akron, Ohio, where he was employed as a contractor. Later he settled at Three Rivers, St. Joseph County, Mich., where he engaged in farming. When he located there, in 1845, the land was heavily timbered and wholly destitute of improvements, but he succeeded in grubbing and clearing it, and placed it under good cultivation. A stanch Republican from the organization of the party, he was also a pronounced Abolitionist, and was the only man in the town of Lockport, St. Joseph County, who voted for abolition and its supporters. He died in August, 1878, when he was seventy-six years of age. By his first marriage he had six children, four of whom are living. His second marriage united him with Mary Vincent, by whom he had one son, born at Lockport, Mich., April 26, 1853, and the subject of this sketch.
From an early age Dr. Miller was self-supporting. He taught much of the time when a youth, in order to pay his way through college. Having chosen medicine as his profession, he began to study under Dr. F. B. Graham, of Three Rivers, Mich. In 1874 he entered the homeopathic Medical College connected with the University of Michigan, and graduated in 1877, with the first class of thirteen that completed the course in that institution. When he received the degree of M. D., after having supported himself through the entire course and paid all of his expenses, he found himself only $15 in debt. While this showed that he had been persevering and economical, yet it required some courage for a young practitioner, without experience, to start out for himself, without money or influence. He went to Kent, Portage County, Ohio, where he commenced to practice. In September, 1878, he came to Fort Collins, where he soon built up an enviable reputation for skill in his profession.
The first wife of Dr. Miller was Lillian Minnick, who was born in Ohio, married in Cheyenne, Wyo., and died in Fort Collins. The only child of this union, Eva, died at nine years. The doctor's second wife, whom he married in Fort Collins, was Nora Rice, of Charleston, Ill. They have two children, Zareefa and Mary J.
Dr. Miller was made a Mason in Collins Lodge No. 19, A. F. & A. M. He is connected with it, also with Cache la Poudre Chapter No. 11, R. A. M., DeMolay Commandery No. 13, K. T., Scottish Rite, Colorado Consistory No. 1, El Jebel Tempel N. M. S., he having attained the thirty-second degree in Masonry; also the Odd Fellows' Lodge No. 19, the Knights of Pythias, being a charter member of the Uniform Rank. For some years he advocated Republican principles, but in 1896, when that party declared for the gold standard, he came out firmly and decidedly for the People's party, believing that the safety of the money problem depends upon raising silver to its original and proper standard. He is a member of the Alumni Association of Three