PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.
Arapahoe County Medical Societies. While in Rotunda Hospital he received a special certificate in gynecology, and he was prizeman in clinical medicine at Meath Hospital and Dublin Infirmary. During his residence in his native land he was fellow, member of the council and of the publication committee of the Obstetrical Section, Royal Academy of Medicine in Ireland; the obstetrical and gynecological member of the committee of reference for the Royal Academy of Medicine in Ireland; fellow of the British Gynecological Society and member of the Dublin Biological Club.
HILIP MIXSELL, a prominent citizen of Idaho Springs, built the first custom stamp mill in this place, and for a decade has operated the same. The mill is kept busy day and night and uses both the amalgamation and concentration processes of treatment of ore. When the Mixsell mill was started it was one of ten stamps, but has since been increased to thirty stamps, and runs from eight to ten hundred tons every mouth. Its success proves the rare good judgment of the owner, who, when he embarked upon the enterprise, was laughed at for his sanguineness and belief in the future of his mill. His success has worked wonders for Idaho Springs and vicinity, and has brought into prominence its ores and resources. Mr. Mixsell is a mining expert and his services and opinions are being constantly demanded in various portions of this and adjoining states. From these different points considerable ore has been shipped to his mill, and numerous stamp mills have been modeled after his own.
The parents of the above-named gentleman are Philip and Sarah (Diehl) Mixsell, of Northampton County, Pa. The father was born in Easton. May 12, 18 19, while his wife was born November 26, 1818. He received a college education and succeeded to the large lumber business which had been established by his father in Easton. . Later he removed to Philadelphia, where he was similarly occupied, his sales extending to all parts of Northampton and Lehigh Counties. In time he became one of the wealthy and influential men of his day, and among his intimate friends and business associates were Asa Packer and Mr. Baldwin, of the Baldwin locomotive works. The panic of 1857 was of serious financial damage to his business and he retired from active life. His death took place in Philadelphia in 1868. His father, who was of German descent, died in Easton at the age of ninety-eight years.
Mrs. Sarah Mixsell was a daughter of Jacob and Rosina Diehl, the former born October 5, 1769, and died September 28, 1851, and the latter born December 26, 1776, and died January 3, 1837. The Diehls were of German lineage, and belonged to the rank of the nobility prior to the Reformation, when they espoused the doctrines of Luther and were exiled, about 1600, after one of their number, an aunt of the then Baron Diehl, head of the house, had been beheaded. On being exiled from Germany the family came to America, the land of religious liberty, somewhat prior to William Penn, to whom they were related. Grandfather Diehl, whose home was in Easton, was a hero of the Revolutionary war. Of the six children born to Philip and Sarah Mixsell, one, Harry, died young. Anna M., deceased, married Col. Peter Penn Gaskell Hall, who was colonel of a regiment in the Union army during the Civil war. Howard, master-at-arms, and in the United States navy all through the Civil war, died of yellow fever in Panama in 1868. Amelia, Mrs. Penn Gaskell Hall, resides in Philadelphia. Virginia, Mrs. De Lancey H. Louderback lives in Chicago; her husband is the promoter of rapid transit in that city, building the Lake Street Elevated, the Union Loop and a number of other large enterprises.
Philip Mixsell, of this sketch, was born Novembers, 1851, in Philadelphia, and was educated therein the public schools. In 1860 he became a messenger boy in the old United States telegraph office, and within three years had learned the business of an operator, and was given a position, being then the youngest operator in the employ of the company. After the consolidation of two companies under the name of the Western Union, he became one of their employes, and continued to live in Philadelphia for several years. Gradually he worked his way upward from one position to another, until he was in very responsible places. Among them were the train dispatcher's office at Phillipsburg, N. J., and New Hampton Junction, N. J., Col. R. E. Ricker, superintendent and engineer of New Jersey Central office; master mechanic's office, Elizabethport, N. J.; Pittsburg, Fort Wayne & Chicago Railway office; Crestline, Ohio, dispatcher's and division headquarters;
PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.
Missouri Pacific Railway, Jefferson City, Mo., and dispatcher's office, North Missouri Railway, Moberly, Mo. At the time of the great strike among the telegraphers he went to Philadelphia and took a position with the Franklin Telegraph Company in Old Town Building, at the corner of Third and Chestnut streets, where the first Sterns Duplex instrument was perfected and used. Then, for two years, he was located in the Continental Hotel in Philadelphia.
In i868 our subject came to the west and was an operator at various stations along the Union Pacific. Soldiers were then guarding the stations from Omaha west, but at Bitter Creek he was simply supplied with ammunition and guns and told to take care of himself. At last his health broke down and he returned to his old home and later went to Chicago and St. Louis. The Associated Press commanded his services at two sessions of the Missouri legislature, he representing a St. Louis paper. He became manager of the telegraph office in Central City for the Western Union. A few months later the Caribou mine was discovered and he conceived the plan of building a telegraph line to Nederland and Caribou. Having done so, he organized a larger company, with Senator Teller, Col, W. H. Bush and J. H. Pickle, and constructed the first line to Boulder City, connecting with the Atlantic & Pacific Telegraph Company at Cheyenne, for eastern and western business, and having branch lines to Sunshine, Gold Hill and Salina. Two years afterward these lines were sold to the Western Union and Mr. Mixsell turned his attention to mining. His first experience in this direction was with the Hattie mine, above Central City, in Spring Gulch. From that time until 1878 he mined and worked at stamp mills.
Mr. Mixsell has always been an ardent Republican. When W. A. H. Loveland, president of the Colorado Central Railroad, ran for governor on the Democratic ticket, he took a leading part in the campaign. For three years thereafter he was agent of the Idaho Springs station, and then occupied a similar position at Central City. When he returned to Idaho Springs a few months later, the News of that town had just been fairly started by Benedict & Hollis. He purchased the paper, which he managed three years, and then, selling out, he devoted himself exclusively to mining and milling. He discovered the Clarissa mine in 1874, in Virginia Canon, and has operated it ever since. He is the proprietor of the Blue Bell group; the United States Tunnel Company, in Hukill Gulch, and the Mixsell tunnel are operated by our subject, who is largely interested in them. Of the United States tunnel it may be said that it is the largest project of the kind in the state, and Mr. Mixsell is its manager and an extensive stockholder.
In Manitou, Colo., the marriage of Mr. Mixsell and Miss Lizzie MacGee was solemnized in 1891. Mrs. Mixsell was born in Cumberland, Md, and her parents were natives of Scotland. The two children of our subject and his estimable wife are named Philip and DeLancey.
ON. SAMUEL M. BREATH. Numbered among the most prominent citizens of Boulder is this worthy pioneer of Colorado. He has long been connected with the development and progress of this portion of the state, and has truly done his full share in establishing the county upon a safe and substantial basis, Time and again have his fellow-citizens honored him with high and responsible offices, and never has he in the slightest degree neglected such trusts. Three terms he acted in the capacity of commissioner of Boulder County, once while the Civil war was in progress, at which time county bonds were issued for the purpose of raising and equipping a company for the service. In 1865 and 1866 he was a member of the territorial legislature of Colorado, and in the sessions of 1881 he served for a third term in the legislative body of this commonwealth. In 1872 and 1873 he was probate and county judge of this county, acquitting himself with distinction. The welfare of the people has always been dear to his heart, and he has often allowed his personal interests to suffer, while he discharged what he believed to be his duty toward the public.
Though over fourscore years of age (his birth having occurred October 5, 1817, at No. 50 Lombard street, New York), the judge is still active and sound in mind and body. His paternal grandfather, John Breath, was a native of the Highlands of Scotland, while his maternal grandfather, Abraham Leggett, was a native of England, The former, after his marriage, settled in New York City, where he engaged in merchan-
PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.
dising, and Mr. Leggett was likewise a merchant of the metropolis for many years. He held the office of major in the Revolutionary war, and had charge of a portion of the United States navy in southern waters. The parents of the judge were Capt. James and Elizabeth (Leggett) Breath. The father was a fine scholar, an expert mathematician and graduated from a theological seminary, with the intention of entering the ministry of the Presbyterian Church. However, he did not follow out that course, but became interested in the merchant marine service. He owned two vessels which were engaged in trading with the East Indies, and one of these ships was lost at sea. When his six sons were growing up around him, he concluded to remove inland, as he preferred that they should not become attached to a sea-faring life. Therefore, in 1818, he settled in the then far west, Illinois. He owned a very large tract of land twelve miles east of Edwardsville, and there he died at the ripe age of seventy-three years. His wife, who was born in New York City, departed this life, while on a visit to her daughter at Danville, Ky. Of their nine children, the judge, who was the youngest, alone survives. One son participated in the Black Hawk war.
The Breath family settled in Illinois when the judge was an infant, and when he was eight years old he was sent back to the eastern metropolis in order that he might attend school, as the schools in Illinois were very poor at that time. He remained in the city for three years, and then, returning home, he worked on his father's farm near Marine, Ill., until he was eighteen years of age. In 1845 he engaged in mining in the Galena, Ill., and the Grant County, Wis., lead mines, and was thus employed for about a year. From that time on he resided chiefly in Alton, Ill., first being connected with a lumber company and later with a grocery.
In 1859 he started for Colorado with a large stock of merchandise of various kinds, tools, machinery, etc. He fitted out five large wagons, with five yoke of oxen to each, and proceeded up the Platte and North Platte Rivers from Omaha, Neb., choosing that route in order that better grazing might be found for his cattle. The trip was made very successfully, and in June the little party reached Boulder. The judge put up a 16x32 tent here for a store, and embarked in business, but in the same fall everybody left for other fields and he went to Golden City. There he erected a substantial log store and continued in business until about the time of the Civil war, when the government bought all the supplies he had, for the equipment of soldiers. In 1862 he returned to this vicinity, buying a large ranch on South Boulder River, about ten miles from the county-seat. This place he carried on for several years, also turning his attention somewhat towards mining and prospecting, in Ward district. While in Golden he had sold goods to a stamp mill, and was finally obliged to take the same in payment of the debt. He removed it to Ward, where it was the first mill in operation. Later he opened the mine now known as the Ni Wot (an Indian name meaning left hand) and within a few months had taken out $50,000 worth of ore. Then, following the example of many others, he put up a fifty-stamp mill, the finest in the state at that time. It was erected at a cost of $125,000, by the Ni Wot Mining Company of New York, and was burned down in November, 1866. The judge and two friends owned a three-fifths interest of the $500,000 stock of the company. When a new mill had been built and everything was again in working order, the judge resigned his position as superintendent of the concern, owing to the fact that they had mined down to the "refractory" ore, for which there was then no efficient method of treatment. The next few years he was interested in various enterprises, conducting a mercantile business on Pearl street, Boulder, for two years; prospected and mined for an eastern company in Caribou and other localities and homesteaded in Nederland Park, owning three hundred and twenty acres in that district. He has improved property in Boulder, and was one of the first to build upon the mesa, now the most beautiful residence part of town. Breath's subdivision, a tract of eight acres, was laid out and is now all built up with good homes.
October 11, 1864, Judge Breath married Mrs. Amanda Barker, who had come to Boulder County in 1862. She was born in Vermont, being a daughter of Abel and Amanda (Hebard) Goss, natives of Lower Waterford, Vt., and Lebanon, N. H., respectively. They were farmers, as were their fathers before them. Grandfather Abel Goss was of the Green Mountain state; and was of English descent.
PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.
Aaron Hebard, the maternal grandfather of Mrs. Breath, was a native of New Hampshire. She is one of nine children, five of whom are living. She was first married in 1851 to Jerome Barker, who had come to this county in 1860 (and Mrs. Barker came in 1862), making the trip across the plains, and had settled on a farm near the lower Boulder River. For a year or two he was engaged in mining at Russell Gulch. His death occurred in 1863, and his widow was left to manage the large ranch and other property. The only child of the judge and wife, Edward, a youth of much promise, died when in his seventeenth year, in 1881.
In the fraternities judge Breath is a charter member of Golden City Lodge No. 2, A. F. & A. M., and is now identified with Columbia Lodge No. 14, A. F. & A. M., of Boulder. He assisted in the organization of the Republican party in Illinois, and has never swerved in his allegiance. He is an honored member of the Boulder County Pioneer Association. Both he and his wife are valued members of the Congregational Church, he being one of the deacons and Mrs. Breath being connected with the Ladies' Union of the church.
OBERT FIELDS LEMOND, oculist and aurist, was born at Springfield, Tex., April 9, 1852, son of Cyrus M. and Sarah Fields LeMond. His father was a farmer and stockraiser in comfortable circumstances, who, upon the outbreak of the Civil war, enlisted in the Confederate army, and was elected captain of the second company that was organized in the county, and served until the close of the war, which, by being away from home and neglecting his private business, reduced him to poverty. He returned to his plantation and stock farm and went to work immediately after the close of the war to recuperate his fortune. Soon after he entered the ministry of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church and preached for twenty years. His paternal great-grandfather fought as a patriot in the Revolutionary war, and was one of the signers of the Declaration of Independence.
Young LeMond worked on his father's farm, where it was quite hard, for a number of years, for the family to make a mere existence. He attended a private school anywhere from two to four months a year, until he was able to get a certificate as a teacher, when he began teaching small public country schools. After a year or two he entered an academy, where he paid his tuition and board by assisting the president of the school two hours per day. After one term of this kind of work he taught another school or two and then entered Cedar Grove Academy, which was considered at that time the finest school in that part of Texas. There he graduated in 1878 with the highest general average that had been given out from that academy in eleven years, being a general average of ninety-eight and seven-tenths. In the same year there was a proposition from the University of Nashville (Penn.), offering two scholarships to each congressional district of Texas, to be elected by competitive examination, which was maintained by the Peabody fund, which also paid $25 a month for eight months of each year. Young LeMond was successful in competing for one of these scholarships, and so became a student in the University of Nashville in 1879, where he entered the third year of the university course and graduated in 1881, A. B. He returned to Texas and resumed teaching and began the study of medicine, which he afterwards practiced, graduating from the Hospital College of Medicine at Louisville, Ky., in 1885, and was the fifth in standing in a class of one hundred and forty-six.
In 1887 he attended the Post-Graduate School at St. Louis, taking a special course on the eye and ear, from which place he went to New York City and attended the Post-Graduate School there in the eye and ear department. At the close of the term he was elected as interne to the Manhattan Eye and Ear Hospital. In 1889 he returned to Texas, where he practiced the specialty of diseases of the eye and ear. In 1891 he took another course in the New York Post-Graduate Medical School, and while in New York he was, through the recommendation of the faculty there, elected by the Gross Medical College of Denver as professor of the chair of diseases of the eye and ear, which position he still holds, being also a member of the executive faculty of the Gross Medical College.
In April, 1892, Dr. LeMond came to Denver, where he is also surgeon to the eye and ear department of the county and city hospitals, chief surgeon of the Herman Straus Free Clinic, a
PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.
member of the American Medical Association and all of the Colorado regular medical associations, and is ex-president of the Colorado Southern Society. He is a contributor to numerous medical journals, and through his learned articles has acquired national reputation as an oculist and aurist.
Dr. LeMond is prominently identified with the Masonic fraternity, being Knight Templar, Shriner, and having passed most of the chairs up to past high priest. He is married and has two children, a daughter and son. The doctor has a magnificent business, often having patients seated in his waiting room from three to six different states. He has been offered a chair in two different medical colleges in the last several years, but has declined both propositions. In 1891 the University at Quanah, Tex., conferred upon him the degree of Master of Arts.
ON. ELIAS M. AMMONS, ex-speaker of the house of representatives of Colorado and senator from El Paso and Douglas Counties, elected on the silver ticket of 1898, is a prominent stock dealer and farmer of the latter county, his home being five and one-half miles south of Littleton, on Plum Creek. He was born on a farm near Franklin, Macon County, N. C., July 28, 1860, and at ten years of age accompanied his parents to Colorado, settling in Denver, where he soon secured employment in a woolen mill. After a few months the family moved to the head of Deer Creek, in Jefferson County, and there for a year he worked on a ranch. Later he engaged in hauling lumber and railroad ties, and skidded from the woods the first five thousand ties of the South Park Railroad. During the entire winter, even when the weather was intensely cold, he worked constantly out of doors, without gloves or overshoes. In fact, he never had a pair of either until he was about grown. He continued lumbering until 1875. Meantime his educational advantages had been very meagre; indeed, he may be said to have had none at all. However, he was fortunate in having for a father a man who was well educated, and who had been a school teacher and Baptist minister. At the age of fifteen he went to Denver to attend school. He worked in a laundry, intending to use the money thus earned for the purchase of books, but was cheated out of his wages. He then secured employment at sawing wood in the wood yard. Finally he was successful in buying the needed books and at once entered the old Arapahoe school, where he began in the fourth grade. Within two weeks he was promoted to a higher grade, and after eighteen months was promoted to the high-school grade. At the age of nineteen he graduated from the East Denver high school. Meantime he had worked nights and Saturdays in order to earn the money for his education. For four years he worked nights lighting the street lamps, and in addition used to gather up discarded tin cans and melt the solder off, and engaged in a number of other schemes for making money. For a time he was employed on the Times, in the circulation department. After graduating he was sent out by the Denver Tribune to write up the boom at Breckenridge. In the fall of 1880 he was accidentally shot in the head, and for some time was incapacitated for duty. Upon his recovery he reported for the Denver Hotel Reporter. Next he was put on the circulation staff of the Times, with which paper he continued for four and one-half years. Mr. Woodbury took him into the business office, and when he sold out the new firm assigned him to reportorial work. Soon he began to edit the telegraph for the Times, read the proofs for the paper and was afterwards made city editor, and at the age of twenty-five was made associate editor. Unfortunately, his eyes, which had been affected by the injury of 1880, troubled him to such an extent that he was obliged to resign his position.
Turning his attention to the cattle business, in partnership with Thomas F. Dawson, now private secretary to Senator Teller, our subject began in 1885 with eighty acres of land on the western line of Douglas County, thirty-nine miles from Denver. At first they had only twenty-five head of cattle. They now have eight hundred and eighty acres, all in one body, and one hundred and sixty acres on Lost Park Creek, twenty miles from the other tract; also two hundred and sixty-two acres where he now resides, the last purchase of eighty acres costing $4,800. Besides the land owned by them they lease about live thousand acres. In 1898 they sold fourteen hundred head of cattle at $28 per head. Mr. Ammons has always been the active manager of the business.
PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.
In Denver, January 28, 1889, Mr. Ammons married Miss Lizzie Fleming, a sister of James A. Fleming, who at one time owned practically all of South Denver.
Though too young to vote, Mr. Ammons took an active part in the campaign of 1880. He frequently represented the Republican party in conventions, but refused to act as a delegate to the national convention in St. Louis in 1896. On a previous occasion, before he was a voter, he had been chosen as a delegate to state convention, but declined on account of age. In 1890 he became clerk of the district court, but after three months of service resigned. He was then elected to the state legislature after the most exciting campaign in the history of Douglas County. He had as an opponent William Dillon, brother of the famous Irish agitator. Mr. Dillon challenged him to joint debates. He accepted the challenge and vanquished his opponent in Dillon's precinct, while Dillon secured but five votes in his district. Interest was so great that large crowds went from one precinct to another to listen to the debates. In the legislature he was one of three grangers who decided the speakership in the caucus. Mr. Ammons made a strong fight on parliamentary rulings and in this way the impression was created that he was a lawyer. However, he had never studied law a day in his life, but he had debated in literary societies, where he had gained a thorough knowledge of parliamentary tactics. In the legislature he served as a member of the judiciary committee. He was instrumental in the passage of the fee and salary bill, the Australian ballot law, appropriations for state roads in Douglas County and numerous reform measures passed by this general assembly. There was a strong fight made for representation from different counties, and he succeeded in making such arrangements that Douglas, though having insufficient population, was permitted to retain its representation. He was instrumental in electing Senator Teller, of whom he has always been a warm admirer. Among the other members he was credited with being the hardest worker in the house.
At a convention held for a nomination, in 1892, Mr. Ammons received every delegate's vote (except his own) on a secret ballot, and was reelected by an increased majority. He had proved so popular and able as a legislator that it was decided he should make the race for speaker. The Republicans had thirty-three out of sixty-five votes and he was elected to the highest office in the gift of the assembly, being the youngest man ever elected to that position in this state. In his rulings as speaker no appeal was ever sustained, and at the extra session of fifty-two days no appeal from his decisions was ever taken, although the session was an exciting one and many matters of importance were brought to him for settlement. On the conclusion of his second term he declined to be a candidate for renomination. In 1896 he refused the chairmanship of the state silver Republican committee and later in the same year declined the nomination for representative.
September 16, 1898, in the silver Republican senatorial convention of El Paso and Douglas Counties, Mr. Ammons was (without his seeking the position) nominated for senator. The nomination was endorsed by Populists and Democrats. He was nominated on a platform that bound him not to support for United States senator any man who is in the slightest degree suspected of leaning toward the policy of the national Republican party in its advocacy of the single gold standard. In the election that followed, a vigorous campaign, he was elected by more than four thousand majority, carrying every precinct in his own county, as well as getting an enormous majority in his opponent's home county.
Mr. Ammons has several terms been a member of the state central committee for Douglas County, and twice was chairman of the county central committee. He is now the member of the state central committee from Douglas County and is also chairman of the congressional district committee.
When the national Republican party became a gold standard party, Mr. Ammons followed Mr. Teller out of that party and helped to organize in Colorado the silver Republican party. Indeed, he led the fight in the second congressional district convention in 1896 to instruct a bolt from the national convention under the leadership of Senator Teller, in case the expected announcement of the gold standard policy should be made. He was always a stanch believer in the ability of this country to carry out its own policies and is earnestly opposed to any man or party that proposes to ask the consent of foreign governments to the use of the kind of money we
PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.
want for ourselves. He is a man of far more than ordinary ability, with a thorough knowledge of parliamentary laws, and a broad information that makes him a conspicuous figure, both in public and private life.
SAAC NEWTON STEVENS. Of the men who have been leaders in public affairs, contributing to the advancement of the state and wielding large influence in political circles, among the most distinguished is the subject of this sketch. Mr. Stevens has long been a prominent politician, and, first as a Republican, later as an ally of the silver cause, has been an element in party success. While, as is the case with every man who has taken a firm stand on public questions, he has his political enemies, yet it has never been denied by anyone that he is a counselor of broad knowledge, a politician of keen discrimination, and a man who possesses rare ability in the organization or conduct of a campaign, local or state.
Through his mother Mr. Stevens is a relative of Commodore Perry, the illustrious hero of Lake Erie. He was born in Newark, Ohio, November 1, 1858, the son of Dr. L. A. and Sarah Stevens. In youth he was given excellent advantages in high school and academy, and, had his father lived, he would undoubtedly have enjoyed university training. But the death of Dr. Stevens terminated his son's schooling at an early age and forced upon him the necessity of self-support. In the winter of 1876-77 he taught a country school in Henderson County, Ill., but in March of 1877 he went to Burlington, Iowa, and entered the office of Hedge & Blythe. He continued to study law until he was twenty-one, when he was admitted to the bar. Coming at once to Colorado, he arrived in Denver June 1, 1880.
Not long after coming here Mr. Stevens began to take an active part in politics as a member of the Republican party. For a time he was president of the Lincoln Club. In 1882-83 he served as a member of the Republican executive committee, in 1884-85 was chairman of the city committee, and in 1886-88 secretary of the state committee. Under President Arthur, in 1884, he was appointed assistant United States attorney for Colorado, being the first to fill that position in the state. In 1888 he was chosen district attorney for the second judicial district, which office he held for three years, meantime having in hand many important cases, in the management of which he displayed energy and talent. Two of these cases became especially prominent on account of their connection with state officials, one having to do with frauds upon the state treasury, the other impeaching the integrity of certain state officials. The prosecution of Harley McCoy for the murder of Inspector Hawley occurred during his term; also a case that gained national note, the trial of Dr. P. Thatcher Graves for the murder of Mrs. Josephine Barnaby, of Providence, R. I. In 1892 he was appointed county attorney, and the next year as chairman of the Republican central committee, had charge of the local campaign. As a politician he is a force everywhere. While he has risen or fallen with the cause he has espoused, yet there has never been a time when he has been without influence in the world of public affairs. In every position, and under every circumstance, his skill in solving intricate problems that affect the political status of affairs has made him conspicuous among even the most gifted men.
LIJAH BOSSERMAN, general manager of the Denver Live Stock Commission Company and its organizer in 1886, was born in Clinton, DeWitt County, Ill., and is of German descent, His father, David, was the son of Michael Bosserman, a native of Pennsylvania, and an early settler of Perry County, Ohio, the birthplace of David. About 1859 the latter removed to Illinois and engaged in farm pursuits there until 1880, when he went to Superior, Neb., and started a banking business in that place. He is the president of the First National Bank of Superior, and, with his sons, owns thirty-two hundred acres of land adjoining the city. His sixty-eight years are carried lightly, and he retains the mental acumen and energy of former days. His wife, Catherine Cowan, was born in Ohio and died in Illinois, leaving three sons and two daughters, the latter living in Nuckolls County, Neb., where two of the brothers, Lincoln and John, are engaged in the cattle business.
The oldest member of the family is our subject. He was educated in Clinton and at the age of twenty-one began farming and dealing in cattle in DeWitt County. Removing to Superior, Neb., in 1881, he entered land in that vicinity and en-
PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.
gaged in the cattle business, buying and selling steers in large numbers, often as many as two to three thousand head per annum. With his father and brothers he organized the Superior Cattle Company of Superior, Neb., and was its manager until removing to Denver. He still owns large tracts near Superior and is a stockholder in the First National Bank there. In 1886 he conceived the idea of incorporating a stock company and interested C. J. Duff, F. P. Ernst and H. M. Porter in the plan, soon afterward forming the Denver Live Stock Commission Company, which was the first company to locate at the Union stockyards of Denver. They carry on strictly a commission business, furnishing money to feeders, etc., and running average sales of from $300,000 to $500,000
Fraternally Mr. Bosserman is connected with the independent Order of Odd Fellows and the Knights of Pythias at Superior and the Benevolent Protective Order of Elks at Denver. He is an active member of the chamber of commerce and board of trade, and is identified with the Colorado Cattle Growers' Association. Politically he upholds Republican principles. In Illinois he married Miss Laura Watt, who died in Denver, leaving five children: Alonzo, Cyril, Barco, Ethel and Gladys. His second marriage took place in Denver and united him with Mrs. Minnie Youmans, of Kansas City.
ON. J. W. BARNES, secretary of the state board of arbitration and for nine years judge of Jefferson County, came to Colorado in 1874, and for four years served as superintendent of the schools of Fort Collins. On coming to Golden in 1879 he accepted a similar position in the schools here, and while discharging his duties as superintendent also engaged in reading law, the study of which he had begun some years before. He was admitted to the bar of Colorado in 1882 and the following year resigned his connection with the schools in order to engage in practice, which he carried on from June, 1883, to January, 1884. Meantime he had been elected county judge on the Democratic ticket, and the first of 1884 he took the oath of office. He filled the position so ably and satisfactorily that he was twice re-elected, holding the office until January, 1893. At once after his retirement from office he resumed his law practice and he has since established an enviable reputation as a lawyer. He is a recognized authority on irrigation law and water rights.
The Barnes family is of English extraction and its first representatives in this country settled in New England. Thomas Barnes, who lived at Portsmouth, N. H., was a seafaring man, the master of a vessel of his own, and all of his sons but James were sailors and took part in the naval affairs of the war of 1812. James, who selected agriculture for his life work, was born in Portsmouth, N. H., and moved with his father to Oxford County, Me., where he spent his remaining years upon a farm. His son, Nahum, father of Judge Barnes, was born in Oxford County, and engaged in farming there until his death, which took place at forty-eight years. For some time previous he had been serving as a selectman. His wife, Clarissa, was a daughter of Capt. Thomas Mathews, who was captain of a whaler that sailed from New Bedford; he died at sea. His father was of English birth and founded the family in this country. Mrs. Barnes was born in Oxford County and is still living there, being now eighty years of age. She was the mother of four children, of whom our subject and two daughters in Oxford County are now living.
In Oxford County, Me., the subject of this sketch was born March 22, 1850. He was educated in the public schools and private academies of the vicinity. At the age of eighteen, in 1868, he went to Iowa, where he taught at Earlville for one year. He then went to Minnesota and was superintendent of the schools of Glencoe and Litchfield for five years. In 1874 he came to Colorado, where he has since resided.
On the creation of the board of arbitration by the legislature of 1897 it was stipulated that three men be appointed, one from the ranks of employers of labor, another from the Labor Union and the third impartial. Governor Adams appointed Judge Barnes for the third member and he was made secretary of the board. His services in this capacity have been able and satisfactory. In political belief he has always adhered to the Democratic doctrines. He is a member and past master of Golden City Lodge No. 1, A. F. & A. M., a member and past high priest of Golden Chapter No. 5, R. A. M., also a member and past chancellor commander of Lodge No. 10,