PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.
ming," "Minnesota," "Tennessee" and "Portsmouth." During his six years' connection with the navy he was in France, Spain, Germany, China, Africa, and around Cape Horn and Cape of Good Hope. He was honorably discharged in Washington in 1881. After resigning from the navy he worked for four years at the carpenter's trade, but first traveling for nearly a year, visiting Washington, Baltimore, Norfolk, Va., St. Louis, Mo., and Kansas City. In 1882 he came to Colorado for a New York firm, and after one year in their service he began mining in the Gunnison district. From there he went to Platte Canon, then to Blackhawk, and later became owner of one-fourth interest in eight hundred and forty acres in Douglas County, where were placer and lead mines. In the meantime he established his headquarters in Denver, where he is now engaged in contracting and building. He is a member of the Carpenters and Builders' Association and politically is a Republican. By his marriage to Hattie Williams, who was born in Greeley, Colo., he has two children, Daisy and Ida.
ON. RUFUS CLARK. Perhaps there is no life that more fully exemplifies what it is in the power of God to accomplish than does that of Mr. Clark. His has been a strange and unusual career, and its record tends to increase our faith in God's wisdom and grace. When a lad of about fifteen he was converted, but in a boyish way, that resulted from impulse rather than reason. He became a sailor and went to sea, which threw him into intimate association with a class of men who were rough and Godless, and naturally he soon fell into their ways. However he says it took him a year to learn to swear without reluctance, for the oaths of the sailors at first sounded very harsh to him. From swearing he took another step and began to drink, in the course of time becoming a confirmed drunkard. These habits became so imbedded in his nature that when he left the sea they clung to him. He came to Colorado, a pioneer, and while financial success attended his every effort he continued a seemingly hopeless slave to drink. His appetite for liquor was insatiable and demanded constantly fresh stimulants.
It seems strange that, while so deep in the mire of sin and drink that he contemplated committing suicide, he still retained the confidence of business men. This was doubtless because his word could always be relied upon, even when he was under the influence of whiskey. Whenever he made a promise to merchants, they knew he would fulfill the obligation. At any time he desired the bankers gave him money without security, though other business men they required to furnish an additional signer as security. In all these years he was never arrested, though looking back over the past he wonders how he escaped.
In the spring of 1873 the noted evangelist, Rev. E. P. Hammond, was holding a great revival in Denver, and out of curiosity he attended the meeting on the 23d of March. His sense of honor prevented him from desiring a rear seat where might be others like himself, and so, thinking in this way he would not create a disturbance, he asked the usher to take him as far forward as possible. He was given a seat near the minister. The meeting was enthusiastic. Mr. Hammond preached what was called the gambler's sermon. Sinners wept and there was a great outpouring of God's spirit. He came under conviction of sin and was converted the same night. At once the desire for drink was taken from him, and during the twenty-five years that have followed he has never had a craving for liquor. In this the grace of God was abundantly manifested. At first people said it was one of his jokes. Three days after his conversion there was an open air revival on the street, and he told the listeners the story of his conversion. Those who heard him said his conversion was genuine, but he was so soaked with whiskey and rum he would never be able to carry out his reform and good intentions. As the days passed, however, the power of God began to be shown in his life, and the fruits of his conversion were evident on every hand. He united with the United Brethren Church, to winch his benefactions have been continuous. With another gentleman, he also donated the building now occupied by the Salvation army, for he is a thorough believer in the good accomplished by this organization. At Shangay Sherbro, Africa, sixty miles from Freetown, on the west coast of Africa, he built, in 1886, a college that is known as the Rufus Clark and Wife Theological Training School. The corner stone was taken from John Newton's slave pen in Africa, which
PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.
had been built a century ago, John Newton later became converted and was known as Rev. John Newton, a noted evangelist and preacher. The building was dedicated in 1887; it is a three-story structure of granite, and at present has two hundred and thirteen students. During its first year he paid for thirteen scholarships to be presented to worthy young men, and in other ways he has promoted its welfare.
The site for the University of Denver was the gift of Mr. Clark, who gave it to the institution, together with $500 in cash. At that time he estimated that he had given $16,000 to the college, figuring that the eighty acres were worth $200 per acre, but the rapid rise in the value of real estate in a very short time made his gift worth $80,000. He has since been a trustee of the University.
The Clark family was founded in America in 1620, when one of that name came over from England as mate of the "Mayflower." Rev. Josiah Clark, a minister of the Congregational Church, left Plymouth Rock in 1630, and went to Windsor-Locks, Conn., where he settled. John Clark, who was born in Lebanon, Conn., served from the beginning to the close of the Revolution, and afterward engaged in farming at Coventry, Tolland County, Conn., where he died at ninety-six. His son, Milton, our subject's father, was born in Coventry, served in the war of 1812, engaged in farming in Tolland County and died there at seventy-two years. His wife, Anna, daughter of Daniel Diminick, was a member of a family of land owners and farmers in Tolland County, She died in that place when fifty-nine years old. Of her family of one daughter and four sons all but one (the daughter) attained mature years.
The youngest of these, and the only one now living, is Rufus Clark, who was born in Coventry December 4, 1822. In 1836 he went to Farmington and engaged in farming for eighteen months, after which, in 1838, he went to sea in the coasting trade. In 1839 he went on a whaling voyage on the "Delphos," which touched at King George's Land, Australia, and was at sea for seventeen months, mainly in the South Atlantic. Afterward he shipped on the "Panama," of Sag Harbor, L. I., to the South Atlantic and Cape of Good Hope, a two years' trip. Next he was on a whaling barque in the Indian Ocean, and then became second mate of the "Portland," out of Sag Harbor. In 1848 he was made chief mate of the "Columbia," which sailed to the Arctic Ocean, via Cape Horn, and reached the ocean through Behring Strait, Latitude 64 North. About this time occurred the discovery of gold in California and the sailors wanted to desert, but he went ahead and carried out his contract, the fog prevented him from filling his ship, but the captain gave him his discharge and he went to the California mines, spending two and one-half years near Columbus. In 1852 he started for Australia, but was wrecked en route on the Navigator Islands and was picked up by a ship bound for Auckland, New Zealand. There he took another ship for Sydney, where he worked in the Turin gold mines. Next he traveled on foot four hundred miles across the country and spent eighteen months on the Melbourne side, returning to the United States in 1854 and visiting his early home in Connecticut.
In 1854 Mr. Clark went to Taylor County, Iowa, where he engaged in farming and the manufacture of lumber, erecting one of the first sawmills there. In April, 1859, on the discovery of gold in Pike's Peak, he started, with ox train, for Colorado, taking his family via Omaha and the Platte, and reaching Overland Park July 11. Here he homesteaded one hundred and sixty acres, where he engaged in farming. He still owns a part of this property, which adjoins the city limits. Making a specialty of potatoes, he raised in 1867 a crop that sold for $30,000, and he hauled as much as $1,500 worth of potatoes to Denver in a day. At one time he owned over twenty thousand acres of land in Colorado, but he sold fifteen thousand eight hundred acres, seven and one-half miles southeast of Denver, to the Clark colony, and the first few years after the sale he paid the taxes on the property until the reorganization of the colony in 1895, when the amount was made good to him. He is still a very large owner of ranches and city property, a fact which is shown by the statement that his assessments take twelve pages in the county assessor's books. He pays taxes on forty-five hundred pieces of property, this being more tracts that are taxed than any other property owner in the county has.
The first wife of Mr. Clark was Miss Mary Pomeroy, of New York state. In Iowa be married Miss Lucinda Watts, who was born in Ohio and died in Denver in 1861, leaving a daughter,
PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.
now Mrs. Mary Walker, of Bedford, Iowa. His third marriage was to Miss Mary Gaff, of Iowa, and his present wife is Mrs. Ella (Knight) Perryman, of Illinois, a daughter of Rev. John Knight, a Cumberland Presbyterian minister, a pioneer of Fayette County, Ill. Her mother was Ann (Hinds) Knight.
Politically Mr. Clark is a silver Republican.
In the fall of 1864 he was nominated for representative in the territorial legislature and was elected, serving in the session of 1865, when the legislature met in Golden City. In 1867 he was chosen a member of the board of education and during his term a new school house was built; again in 1880 he served another term in this position. He is a member of the Pioneers' Society.
NDREW R. BATY is engaged in business in Denver as a contractor, builder and cabinet-maker. He is a descendant of an old Scotch family, originally known as Beaty, but the name has been shortened to the present spelling by recent generations. His father, Samuel, was a son of Adam Baty, a farmer in Kentucky and a soldier in the war of 18 112. After learning the cabinetmaker's trade in his native place in Kentucky, Samuel Baty removed to Rushville and became a pioneer of Rushville, then a small, unimportant hamlet in Schuyler County, Ill. Later he followed his trade in Vienna, Scott County, Ind., but went from there to Macon, Macon County, Ill., and resided in that place until his death at fifty-five years of age. His wife, Sarah Ross, was born in Kentucky and died in Iowa when past eighty years of age. They were the parents of four sons and two daughters, of whom all are living but one son and one daughter.
Of these our subject was third in order of birth. He was born in Rushville, Ill., in 1832, and at the age of ten accompanied his parents to Indiana, where he received his education in a subscription school, kept in a log house. In boyhood he learned the cabinet-maker's trade and was a practical workman when still quite young. Remaining with his father until twenty-one years of age, he then took up carpentering and contracting in Lexington, Ind., where he remained for fifteen years. His next home was in Indianapolis, where he engaged in contracting upon a large scale, building as many as seventy or eighty houses a year. After eight years in Indianapolis, he went to Chicago, Ill,, where he had a jobbing shop and engaged in contracting for five years. In 1885 he came as far west as Lincoln, Neb., and worked at his trade. The next year he located a homestead near Gandy, in Logan County, Neb., where he proved up his claim and made improvements upon it. He remained there until 1891, when he rented the place and came to Denver. He has since engaged in contracting here, having been located formerly at No. 1655 Broadway, but now at No. 1307 Broadway.
At one time Mr. Baty was a Knight of Pythias, but he is not identified with the organization at present. He is a member of the South Broadway Christian Church, of which Rev. S. B. Moore is pastor. In political belief he is a Democrat. He was married, in Lexington, Ind., to America Hollenbeck, a native of that place and the daughter of Henry Hollenbeck, who was an agriculturist. They are the parents of three children, namely: Frank, who is with the Novelty Manufacturing. Company; Samuel S., a charter member of the Fraternal Union, of which he is the grand treasurer and deputy grand secretary; and May, wife of F. A. Falkenburg, who is head consul of the Woodmen of the World, and its originator in Denver.
ERDINAND BRINK has followed the occupation of a carpenter and builder in Denver for some years and has met with success at the trade, having been employed in the construction of many residences and a number of public buildings in the city. Before coming here he followed his trade in several other large cities of the United States, and being a conscientious, skillful workman, had never experienced any difficulty in securing employment. Since starting in business for himself he has done all kinds of job work, as well as engaged in the building of houses.
In Jylland, Denmark, the subject of this sketch was born March 17, 1859, being the fifth among seven children who attained mature years and of whom all but one are still living. His parents were Soren and Georgiana Brink, the former a native of Jylland. The latter was born in Lolland, a descendant of an old Danish family, and died in 1897. The father, who was for years a business
PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.
man of Sundby, is now living there retired. Of the children our subject was the only one who settled in the United States. He was reared and educated in Sundby and at the age of fifteen became an apprentice to the carpenters and builders' trade, at which he served for five years. He then went to Copenhagen and secured employment at his trade.
When a young man, in 1882, Mr. Brink came to America. After spending two weeks in New York he went to Pennsylvania and for three months remained in the vicinity of Altoona, in the soft coal region of Pennsylvania. In the spring of 1883 he went to Chicago, where he worked at his trade for some months, but in the fall of the same year he went further west. He spent a few days in Seattle, Wash., and then went on to San Francisco, Cal., where he remained for three months. Afterward for a year he worked in Sacramento. Returning east to Chicago, he spent three years in his chosen occupation. In 1888 he came to Denver, where, after working as an employe for some years, he started in business for himself, in April, 1895.
In this city, in 1888, occurred the marriage of Mr. Brink to Miss Mary Schwartz, who was born in Sweden and reared in Norway. Two sons have been born of the union, Norman and Roswell. Fraternally Mr. Brink' is actively connected with the Woodmen of the World. Politically he is independent, voting for the best man, regardless of party.
LMER P. NEWMAN. While the Newman pianos have been in the market for only a short time, yet they have gained a wide reputation for sweetness of tone and durability. They contain some important improvements, which the manufacturer has found absolutely necessary to meet climatic conditions. The wood used in the construction of the frames and cases is seasoned and kiln-dried in Colorado and will not shrink or warp, as is the case in pianos shipped to Colorado from the east. The cases are made of solid natural wood and the front has a nickel-plated metallic guard to prevent the case from being injured when it is moved through doors. The four hundred pounds of iron used in each piano come from the mountains of this state and are cast in the foundries of Denver. A special feature is the solid iron stringing frame with patent iron grip bars for holding the tuning pins, and as the tuning plank is not connected with the tuning pins the pianos are not affected by excessive dry or damp weather, there are four pedals, one very soft, another medium soft, to be fastened down when children are at practice; and a third that operates a patent harp attachment which brings into use an entire set of small hammers, made of brass and faced with soft leather, producing a nearly perfect harp tone.
The manufacturer of these pianos is a native of Lansing, Mich., and a son of G. W. and Eunice (King) Newman, natives of Rochester County, N. Y., and Ohio respectively. The former, who was a farmer in early years, settled near Lansing, where he remained until his retirement from active labors. Previous to this he had started an orange grove at Palmetto, Fla., and there he now resides. His wife died in Michigan. She was a daughter of John King, who was born in Medina, Ohio, and removed to Michigan, where he owned and operated a farm. The paternal grandfather of our subject, Benjamin Newman, was born in Greece, N. Y., and was a member of an old eastern family that followed agriculture principally.
Of a family of eight children, five now living, our subject is next to the oldest. He was educated in the Battle Creek (Mich.) College, and at the age of eighteen began to learn organ making with a firm in Battle Creek, where he remained for two years. He then went to Detroit, where he learned piano making with a firm of piano manufacturers. From there he went to Chicago, where he was with George P. Bent, a piano manufacturer. Returning to Lansing, Mich., he engaged in the manufacture of the Newman organs. In 1891 he came to Denver, where he engaged in the sale of pianos and organs for eastern manufacturers for five years. The high price of these pianos and the fact that they were not adapted to this climate, led him to engage in the manufacture of pianos of his own. He spent four months perfecting a pattern, which was entirely original, and completed his first pianos in November, 1896, since which time he has engaged in their manufacture at Nos. 1805-7 Blake street. While selling some of other makes, his largest sales are of his own pianos, which are strictly high grade, sweet toned and
PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.
sold on easy payments. In addition, he also does considerable business in repairing and tuning instruments.
RRISON B. McDONALD, at the time of the Civil war Mr. McDonald was a resident of Iowa and he was one of four brothers who enlisted in the Second Iowa Infantry. In the spring of 1864 his name was enrolled as a member of Company G, which was mustered into service and ordered to Rome, Ga., and there assigned to Logan's corps for the Atlanta campaign. With the others of his company he marched to Savannah and then through the Carolinas on Sherman's famous march to the sea, being in the advance regiment at the time of Johnston's surrender. He participated in the grand review in Washington and was mustered out in that city in June, 1865, returning to his home with a fine record as a patriot and soldier.
The McDonald family was founded in America under strange circumstances. Our subject's grandfather, Orrison McDonald, when a youth of eighteen, was one day fishing in company with three other young men and was kidnapped by the English, taken on board a vessel and pressed into service against the Americans, the Revolutionary war being then in progress. He was a Highlander and had been reared to believe in liberty and freedom of thought as man's inalienable right. Naturally, therefore, he resented his forced fighting against a people in whose cause he thoroughly believed. After six months with the British an opportunity came for him to escape and he at once joined the Americans. He was promoted to the rank of major in their army and was twice wounded while in the service. When peace was declared he received bounty land situated at Saratoga Springs, N. Y. He married an American girl and from that time forth his interests were all in America, where he remained until his death at seventy years.
Among the children of Major McDonald was a son who bore his name, Orrison. He was born at Saratoga Springs and there grew to manhood. From New York he removed to Sandusky, Ohio, and from there to Fulton, Jackson County, Iowa, where he engaged in farming. He was a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church and a man of consistent Christian character. He died at sixty-three years. His wife bore the maiden name of Deborah West and was the daughter of a prominent minister of the Methodist Episcopal Church. She was born in Saratoga County, N. Y., and died in Iowa in 1894, aged ninety-one years and six months. Of her family of fourteen children, all but three are still living, Orrison being the fourth of the number. He was born in Lewis County, N. Y., July 3, 1828, and spent the first twelve years of his life in that state. Afterward he attended the public schools of Sandusky, Ohio, and in that place he was apprenticed to the tinsmith's trade at the age of seventeen. He began in business for himself at Cold Creek, Ohio, but after three years there returned to New York and engaged in the tinware and stove business at Angelica, Allegany County, for three years. His next location was in Wisconsin, where he carried on a tin and hardware and drygoods store at Kingston for two years. Going from there to Iowa, he spent a short time in Fulton, Jackson County, and afterward carried on business at West Liberty, Muscatine County, for sixteen years.
During the absence of Mr. McDonald in the army, the business was conducted by his wife. On his return he resumed work in the same place, but in 1871 sold out and moved to Virginia City, then in the midst of its "boom." He built a store building and engaged in plumbing and gas-fitting, the manufacture of tinware and the sale of tinware and hardware. A fire burned his building to the ground and caused serious loss, but with undaunted pluck he commenced again. In 1881 he came to Denver, where he started in business near his present location. In 1893 he located at No. 2628 Larimer street, where he has a two-story building, 25x125 feel in dimensions. He carries on the same line of business that he has successfully conducted in other places, his specialties being furnace work, plumbing and gas-fitting and the manufacture of tinware. In 1893 he formed the McDonald Hardware Company, his partner being J. S. Barber.
The principle of bimetallism has in Mr. McDonald one of its stoutest champions. He believes the highest prosperity will come to the west only when silver is placed upon its proper basis. Fraternally he is connected with Highlands Lodge No. 86, A. F. & A. M., and Reno Post No. 39, G. A. R. While residing in West
PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.
Liberty, Iowa, he served as alderman for two terms, and was also township trustee there for two years. In Erie, Pa., he married Miss Fidelia Harding, who was born in Steuben County, N. Y. Four children were born of their union, but two died in infancy. Martin, who was in business with his father, died in Denver at the age of thirty-two; he married Anna Hanson, who survives him. The daughter, Mrs. Cassie Elliott, lives in West Liberty, Iowa, and is the mother of two children, Mrs. Edith Harris and Eddie, Mrs. Harris is the mother of two daughters and one son, the latter named Donald after his great-grandfather.
LARENCE S. JACKSON, vice-president and treasurer of the Jackson-Smith Photograph Company, and one of the rising young business men of Denver, was born in Washington, D. C., February 2, 1876, and is a son of William H. and Emily (Painter) Jackson. He is a great-great-nephew of Samuel Wilson, the original of "Uncle Sam," the well-known sobriquet of the United States. It is said that after the declaration of war with England in 1812, Elbert Anderson, of New York, then a contractor, visited Troy on the Hudson, where he purchased a large quantity of provisions. The inspectors of the provisions were Ebenezer and Samuel Wilson, and the latter (who was known as Uncle Sam) usually superintended in person a large number of workmen. The casks were marked "B. A. U. S." A facetious fellow, on being asked the meaning of these letters said, it must mean Elbert Anderson and Uncle Sam. The joke passed current among the workmen, and Uncle Sam was occasionally rallied on the subject. Many of these workmen went to the front, and there the joke was told so often that, before the first campaign ended, it appeared in print. It gained favor until it was recognized in every part of the country, and no doubt until the end of time Uncle Sam will stand for the United States.
The father of our subject, who is now identified with the Photochrom Company of Detroit, was born in Keyesville, N. Y., in January, 1841, and when he was quite young he moved to Troy, the same state. When only ten years of age his taste for art was apparent, and this talent he carefully trained and developed. He was employed to make backgrounds for large portraits, a work that he did so rapidly that his employer could not furnish him with a sufficient quantity of pictures to keep him busy. During the war he entered the army, going to Rutland, Vt., where he joined the Rutland Light Guards in Company K, Twelfth Vermont Volunteer Infantry. During the Peninsular campaign he took part in numerous battles. He was detailed to make sketches of the country in which the battles were fought. During the three days' engagement at Gettysburg he was detailed to guard prisoners. During his service of eleven months, all under General Grant, he received many passes, orders and other papers, all of which are now in the hands of our subject. On receiving an honorable discharge he returned to Troy, N. Y., his old home. Going to the west in 1866, he found himself stranded in Detroit, and so started for Chicago, walking a part of the way, and at other times riding when the opportunity offered itself. In Chicago he secured employment as a sign painter and thus earned enough to get to Omaha, where he joined an expedition for Salt Lake City. By driving an ox team he paid his own way. En route to Salt Lake City he passed through Denver. In the possession of our subject is a picture showing his father as he looked on his arrival in Salt Lake City, also a picture showing him "batching it" and in the act of baking buckwheat cakes.
The first employment Mr. Jackson secured in the west was as a drover. The task he undertook was no light one. It was that of driving six hundred head of horses to Omaha, and at times the horses stampeded, requiring days to get them together again. In Omaha he met his brother, E. C., who had been a captain in the Civil war, and the two started in the photograph business, which the captain had previously learned. This was in 1868. Under his brother, Mr. Jackson became familiar with the business, which the two carried on in Omaha. While there they entered into a contract to photograph the places of interest on the Union Pacific Railroad, then building, and he was on the ground when the last spikes (of gold and silver) were driven. On his return to Omaha he joined the Hayden exploring expedition, with Dr. F. V. Hayden in charge and himself as photographer.
PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.
After the death of his first wife he was a second time married, being united with Miss Painter October 8, 1873, in Cincinnati, Ohio, a lady whom he had met at the Omaha Indian Agency, while her father, Dr. Edward Painter, was Indian agent of that place. Mr. Jackson went with the surveying expedition to Washington, D. C., and Miss Painter, accompanied by her brother, met him in Cincinnati, where the marriage was solemnized. They went to Washington to make their home and during their residence in that city our subject was born.
In 1875, while connected with the United States government survey in the west, Mr. Jackson was captured by the Indians and was held a prisoner for a few days, before being put to death in accordance with their intention. Meantime he affected his escape. Afterward he received a letter from James T. Gardner, who had written to warn him of his danger of capture, but the letter did not reach him in time for him to act and thus prevent the capture. While on the second government expedition he again passed through Denver, which he liked so much that he decided to locate here; accordingly, in 1879, he moved his family here. Hethen opened a gallery at No. 413 Larimer street, in a poor building, but after a few years he moved to No. 1615 Arapahoe street, and in 1893 transferred the business to the present quarters. Soon after coming to Denver he again became connected with railroad photography, and in that line he made himself famous. His name is known, not only in the west, but throughout the entire country, as that of the most successful photographer of mountain scenery in the country. Visitors from the east, touring through Colorado, invariably pause to admire, and then to purchase, some of the charming scenes whose beauty he has perpetuated through his incomparable scenic photography.
One of the most admired photographic exhibits at the World's Fair in 1893 was that made by William H. Jackson, and for it he received a medal. In the fall of 1894 he was appointed official photographer on the world's transportation commission for the Field Columbian Museum in Chicago, and, with Maj. J. G. Pangborn as head of the exposition, he traveled around the world, spending eighteen months in different countries, and making views of all points of interest. These views are in the possession of our subject and form a collection that has never been surpassed, both in accuracy in detail and beauty of finish. While in India he was given a medal for an exhibition of views. He has received altogether twenty-six medals, in fact, at every place, but one, where he has made exhibitions, he has received medals. His attention has been given so closely to his art that he has had neither time nor inclination for public matters; the prominence offered by office, and the influence it gives, appeal alike to him in vain. His heart is wrapped up in his chosen work. The success he has gained shows that talent, guided by sound judgment and fostered by painstaking effort, brings its possessor name and fame.
The three children of William H. Jackson are, Clarence S., Louise and Harriet. Louise, who was born in Washington, is a college graduate and an accomplished young lady. Harriet, who was born at Sandy Spring, Md., possesses marked artistic tastes and is now studying under Professor Reed, of Denver. When our subject was about eleven years of age he entered Harned Academy, at Plainfield, N. J., and graduated with the class of 1893, after which he worked with his father for a year. While the latter was abroad, the family resided in Baltimore and our subject took a position with the Fort Wayne Electric Corporation in Baltimore, working in their experimental laboratory for one year, until the failure of the firm. While his salary was but nomial ($4 a week), yet he felt that the experience was worth thousands of dollars to him, and the knowledge he there acquired has been most helpful to him since. In the fall of 1896 he was offered a position in charge of the photographic work of the American Mutoscope Company, New York City, with which he remained about six months. From there he went to Baltimore, then returned to Denver, and from that time remained with his father until March 1, 1898, when the Jackson-Smith Photograph Company was organized.
March 23, 1898, Mr. Jackson married Miss Irene D. Wysham, who was reared in Catonsville, Md., and Norfolk, Va. The two met in Baltimore in November, 1894, and became engaged on St. Patrick's Day of 1895. Mrs. Jackson is a daughter of the late William B. Wysham, M. D., surgeon in the United States navy, in charge of the Norfolk navy hospital, and during the
PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.
war a surgeon in the Confederate army. Her grandfather, Dr. Williamson, had served as a surgeon in the United States navy prior to the Civil war and received a medal from the French government for his services during an epidemic, also was given the badge of the Legion of Honor.
L. SMITH, president of the Smith-Brooks Printing Company of Denver, was born at Sandy Hill, N. Y., July 18, 1850, and is a son of Abram and Emma (Harris) Smith. His boyhood days were uneventfully passed at his native place. Having attended school from the age of six until thirteen, he then started out to earn his own livelihood, and for a time worked in a sawmill, and later was employed in a printing office. From Sandy Hill he went to Philadelphia at sixteen years of age, and secured employment as driver of a delivery wagon. After two years at that work he went into a printing office and finished learning the trade. After two years in the office in Philadelphia he went to New York and worked as a journeyman, going from there to Albany, where he was employed as a printer. Returning to New York in 1872, he resided there till the spring of 1878.
In New York, November 13, 1872, Mr. Smith married Miss Agnes Riordan, of New York, a native of Cork, Ireland, whence she emigrated to America in childhood with her parents. With his family, in 1878. Mr. Smith went to Kansas and settled in Ellsworth County, settling upon the open prairie and building the first house in that section. However, he found business there unprofitable, and after two years he came to Denver, arriving here without means. His first position here was with the Denver Republican, as a printer, and from that time until 1885 he worked on different papers. During the latter year he was elected a member of the first board of supervisors, becoming president of the board and serving for two years.
The firm of Smith & Ferl was organized in 1886 and continued until 1889, when the present concern, the Smith-Brooks Printing Company, was started, an enterprise that has met with continuous success. He gives time and money for the Republican cause, and frequently served as delegate to party conventions. When the Order of Knights of Pythias was about three and one-half years old, he became identified with it in Philadelphia, in 1868, and is now a member of Centennial Lodge No. 8, in which he has filled the chairs and is now past grand chancellor of the Grand Lodge. During the existence of the Order of Knights of Labor he was identified with it. He and his wife are the parents of two children: O. L., Jr., who was born in New York City and is a director in the Smith-Brooks Printing Company and Kate, who was born in Ellsworth County, Kan.
OHN H. G. FRASER, member of the firm of Stocker & Fraser, contractors and builders, came to Denver in 1879, when he was a young man of nineteen years. He was born in South Wiltshire, Prince Edward Island, Canada, November 3, 1860, the son of John and Sarah (Dougherty) Fraser, also natives of that island, where the former died at the age of sixty-five years. The latter is also deceased. William Fraser, one of our subject's grandfathers, was born in Scotland and removed from there to Prince Edward Island, where he engaged in farming. The other grandfather, Donald Dougherty, also emigrated from Scotland and settled upon a farm on the island.
In the parental family there were eleven children and of these nine attained mature years and are still living, John H. G. being the third youngest of the number and the only one in Colorado. He received a public-school education and when a boy took up carpentering, which he has since followed. In 1879 he came to Colorado and settled in Denver, where for ten years he was in the employ of McPhee & McGinnity, contractors, being most of the time in charge of their jobbing. Since 1890 he has been in business for himself, being first a member of the firm of Brower & Fraser, but later in partnership with Allison Stocker. Among the contracts he has had were those for finishing the McPhee block, and building H. H. Hizer's residence in Highlands, D. W. Mullen's house in West Denver and the Loretta convent in Colorado Springs.
While Mr. Fraser has been too engrossed in business to take an active part in politics, nevertheless he has decided opinions upon all subjects of importance and always upholds Republican principles. In religions belief he is a Baptist.