PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.
utive of the city in the absence of the mayor. In 1897 he was again nominated for the position, but declined to become a candidate. While in Chicago he was made a Mason, identifying himself with Ashler Lodge No. 308, A. F. & A. M., and later he became a member of the chapter and commandery at Urbana. As a citizen he favors all measures for the benefit of the people and the extension of the commerce of the city, and his personal influence is given to aid all public-spirited projects.
OL. IVERS PHILLIPS, of Boulder, is a very remarkable man; his life, which very nearly spans the present century, having been characterized by unusual activity and enterprise in numberless directions. He has been the president of railroad companies, financially connected with banking institutions and other business concerns; has officiated with distinction in public positions, both in the government and military service; has been no less faithful in minor civic offices, and was one of the founders of the Republican party. Thus, very briefly, is summed up a portion of the affairs which have interested him - matters comprehensive enough to have occupied a dozen different men, it would seem, but he has been equal to much more than this.
In tracing the history of Colonel Phillips we find that his birth took place in Ashpenham, Worcester County, Mass., July 28, 1805. He recalls incidents of the war of 1812, and though he is now in his ninety-fourth year of age, he retains every faculty and enjoys life as in days of yore. His childhood was spent in Fitchburg, Mass., and Ipswich, where he attended the public schools and Appleton Academy. He remained under the parental roof until he attained his majority, and the following year he determined to see something of the then far west. Going across Pennsylvania, until he arrived at the Ohio River, he proceeded down it and the Mississippi River to New Orleans. There he stayed for a short time and then took passage in a sailing vessel bound for Boston. Years afterward, in 1873, he once more traveled through the west, and for nine years spent much of his time in visiting all portions of the United States and Canada.
But before entering further into the details of the colonel's history it might be well to devote some space to his forefathers. He is justly entitled to belong to the Sons of the Revolution (and is connected with the Denver branch of that order), as his grandfather, Seth Phillips, was a lieutenant in the colonial army during that conflict. After the war he settled in Fitchburg, Mass., and died in that town when he was seventy-five years of age. He was a native of Pembroke, Plymouth County, Mass., in which locality his English ancestors had settled in the early days of colonial history. His father bore the name of Lot Phillips. The parents of the colonel were Samuel and Sally (Thurston) Phillips, both natives of Fitchburg, and reared upon farms. The former removed to Ashpenham, Worcester County, Mass., but in 1811 he returned to the old homestead where his boyhood had been passed. Two of his brothers served in the war of 1812, and he would have enlisted but for physical disability. He departed this life when in his fifty-eighth year. His wife, who died in 1848, was likewise of English lineage. Her father, Deacon John Thurston, a native of Plymouth County, Mass., participated in the early Indian wars, and later was a farmer in Fitchburg. The only sister of our subject, Mrs. Sally Russell, died in Massachusetts.
Col. Ivers Phillips continued to dwell on the old parental homestead until 1833, when he was appointed deputy-sheriff of Worcester County. Before his term had expired he was elected county coroner, and acted in that capacity from 1836 to 1856. A portion of that time he also officiated as a justice of the peace, and there was not one interruption in his public office-holding during his entire residence in his native state, from 1833 to 1873. June 1, 1825, he was made corporal of a company of light infantry in the Fourth Regiment, Seventh Brigade, Sixth Division, of Massachusetts state militia. Subsequently he was appointed ensign, later lieutenant, and May 13, 1831, was commissioned major of the regiment by Governor Lincoln. August 4 of the same summer he was raised to the rank of lieutenant-colonel and March 12, 1833, was made colonel of the Fourth by Governor Lincoln. May 2 1835, he resigned his commission, as other affairs required his attention. Thus before he was thirty years of age he had been colonel of two different regiments (one infantry and one of
PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.
light infantry) and was then honorably discharged, merely at his own request. June 22, 1863, Governor Andrews commissioned Mr. Phillips captain of the first company of Massachusetts State Guards, organized under the special law. He served as such throughout the Civil war, and was once or twice called into action for a few days at a time. Later he was again appointed to the captaincy of the same company by Governor Bullock.
In 1852 Colonel Phillips was elected to represent his home district (Worcester County) as a senator, and acted as chairman of the committee on militia laws. At that time he was elected on the Democratic ticket. In company with one or two others he set on foot a movement toward the founding of a new party, called upon men in all portions of the state to meet in Boston to agitate the matter, and, in brief, the result of his determination and zeal was that such an assemblage did convene at Worcester, Mass., in 1855, and the new party was named Republican. Mr. Phillips was sent as a delegate to the first national convention of the party, which met in Philadelphia the following year and nominated John C. Fremont for the presidency. August 26, 1862, he was appointed internal revenue assessor for the eighth congressional district of Massachusetts by President Lincoln, and held this office for seven years. For years he was president of the Fitchburg & Worcester Railroad; later was president of the Agricultural Branch Railroad and held a similar position with the Boston, Barry & Gardiner Railroad. He has been connected with numerous banks, among them being the Fitchburg State Bank and the Worcester Bank. Since the First National Bank of Boulder was incorporated, he has been a director in it, also. He is a member of the Grand Army of the Republic, and has been a member of the Masonic order since August, 1826. At that time he entered the Blue Lodge in Leominster, Mass., afterwards took the Royal Arch degree in Fitchburg, and is yet identified with the Knight Templar Commandery of Worcester. Religiously he is a Unitarian.
In 1882 the colonel built his beautiful residence in Boulder, at No. 2145 Eleventh street. In addition to this he has erected several other houses, here and elsewhere. His first marriage took place in Fitchburg, Mass., in 1828; Miss Rebecca Carter being the lady of his choice. She was born in Leominster, Mass., and was a daughter of Thomas Carter, a farmer. She died in 1867. Of her five children, Mary A. and Abigal (Mrs. Lawrence) are residents of Fitchburg. Ivers C. died in Cambridge; Mrs. Harriet R. Works died in Fitchburg; and Sarah T. (Mrs. Wood) died in Colorado in 1872. In 1869 the colonel married in Worcester Mrs. Abigail R. Haines, a native of Leominster, as was her father before her, Dr. Sewell Richardson, and her grandfather, Luke Richardson. The latter was a lieutenant of a company which fought against the Indians in colonial times. Luke was a son of James, who was a son of Joseph, and he was a son of Thomas, which is as far as the lineage can be traced. Dr. Sewall Richardson was the youngest of nine children, and for years he was successfully engaged in practice in Leominster. His death, in July, 1867, was the result of his accidentally falling down stairs. His wife, Abigail Kendall, was a daughter of John and Rebecca (Hills) Kendall.
John Kendall was an extensive farmer and was also a manufacturer of combs. He was of English descent. Mrs. Abigail R. Phillips had but one sister, Clarissa, Mrs. Charles H. Colburn, and she died several years ago in Massachusetts. Mrs. Phillips was reared in the Bay state, and in early life became the wife of Daniel R. Haines, a native of New Hampshire. He was a manufacturer of pianos, and was at one time an aide on the staff of Major-General Morse of Massachusetts. The two children of Mr. and Mrs. Haines, William and Sewall, died while young. Mr. Haines departed this life in August, 1865.
HARLES BAILEY PATTERSON. The discovery of gold in Colorado caused thousands of men in 1858 to start across the plains with the hope that the hardships they endured would receive a reward in the discovery of nuggets of the precious metal. The trip at that time was almost as difficult as the journey undertaken forty years later by men who hoped to find mines of gold in Klondike. Among the number who journeyed overland to the mountains was Mr. Patterson, who left St. Louis and joined the tide of emigration that moved toward Colorado. In July, 1859. he arrived in what is now Denver. Its aspect then was widely differ-
PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.
ent from its present appearance. A few houses, rudely constructed, constituted the town that now boasts of one of the finest state capitols in the country besides a host of business blocks and private residents that compare favorably with the most substantial and elegant in the world. Since that time he has made his home in Colorado, whose development he has materially promoted and whose growth he has watched with the pleasure of a progressive, loyal citizen.
The Patterson family is of Scotch descent. James Patterson emigrated from Dundee to America and settled in Pennsylvania, where his remaining years were spent. His son, Alexander, was a successful farmer of Allegheny County, Pa., and acquired a competence through his industrious efforts. When advanced in years he ceased active farm labor and thenceforward lived in retirement in Sharpsburg until his death, in 1857. He was a consistent Christian and an officer in the Presbyterian Church. His wife was Hannah Bailey, a native of Belmont County, Ohio.
The subject of this sketch was born in Allegheny County, Pa., November 7, 1839. He acquired the rudiments of his education in the common schools and afterward took a preparatory collegiate course in Sewickley. On leaving home and starting out in the world for himself, he secured employment in St. Louis, where he remained for eighteen months, coming from here to Colorado in July, 1859. Here he embarked in mining in Russell Gulch, where he spent two years of hard but fairly successful work. He then went to Empire, Colo., and opened a general store, succeeding so well in the enterprise that in 1864 he opened a branch store at Georgetown. His mercantile experiences extended over a period of nine years. In January, 1870, he sold out his stores and settled in Denver, where he engaged in the real-estate and insurance business. In 1890 he removed to his palatial home near Littleton, where he has since resided. He has done much for the upbuilding of Denver by his real-estate enterprises. Among the buildings he erected in this city are the Pioneer building and the block on the southeast corner of Larimer and Fourteenth streets.
For years Mr. Patterson has been a regular attendant upon the services of the Episcopal Church, which he has served in an official capacity. His first vote was cast for Democratic candidates and he has never swerved from his allegiance to that party. During his residence in Clear Creek County, in 1866 he was elected a member of the state legislature and ably represented the people of his county in the house of representatives. During the period of his service he assisted in the election of two United States senators, but the territory not being admitted as a state, the election was rendered void. He has never joined a society of any kind, is thoroughly temperate and a model independent citizen.
OSEPH S. CLARK. In the spring of 1897 Mr. Clark was nominated on the tax payers' ticket, for the position of alderman of the seventh ward and was elected by a fair majority over the other six candidates. About the same time he accepted the position of representative for the Nave & McCord Mercantile Company, of St. Joe, one of the largest concerns of its kind in the United States. Both in business and political circles he is deservedly prominent and his influence is felt for good in the advocacy of public-spirited and progressive plans. As a member of the council he was chairman of the committees on street railways, funerals and official visitors, and member of the committees on electric light and gas, finance, and drains and sewers.
Near what is now Carbondale, Lackawanna (then Luzerne) County, Pa., the subject of this sketch was born January 19, 1844. His father, Judson, who was born near Canandaigua, N. Y., was one of the pioneer coal operators of Carbondale, and among the first shippers of coal for the Delaware, Lackawanna & Western road. From Carbondale he removed to Scranton, where he continued to operate extensively. He discovered a vein of coal that was named the Clark vein in his honor. In his effort to keep his men employed and his mine in active operation he overworked himself, and fatal results followed. He died in April, 1860, when forty-eight years of age. He was twice married, having six children by his second wife. The mother of our subject, Emma J. (Grosvenor) Clark, was born in Abington Township, Lackawanna (then Luzerne) County, and died in Scranton at the age of sixty years. She was a daughter of Joseph Grosvenor, a farmer by occupation and descendant of
PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.
English ancestors. Of her children four are living: Lillie, Mrs. David Seward, of Green Ridge, Pa.; Morris and Willis, of Scranton; and Joseph S.
When our subject was six years of age the family removed to Scranton. He was educated in the schools of Providence, Scranton, and in Wyoming Seminary and Williston Seminary at East Hampton, Mass. Returning to Scranton he engaged in the mercantile business at Providence Square, but after a time, in 1868, removed to Valley Falls, Jefferson County, Kan., where he bought land and engaged in farming. Afterward he carried on a store at the same place and was there during the famous grasshopper siege, when Kansas was overrun with those "implements of destruction." Later he engaged in railroading, with A. A. Robinson, in the engineering corps of the Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe Railroad, which he assisted in surveying from Granada to West Las Animas. The same year, 1874, he was in the company's office at Las Animas, afterward clerked in the quartermaster's office at the fort.
In the spring of 1876 Mr. Clark settled in Denver, where he was shipping clerk for a wholesale grocer, and later was with a mercantile firm. In 1880 the board of trade appointed him official city weigher at the scales on Nineteenth street, and this position he held for two years. For four and one-half years he was inspector for the Colorado Railroad Pool Association, and for eighteen months was in charge of the city shipping department of the C. S. Morey Mercantile Company, after which he was with Benjamin F. Bowen in the wholesale commission business as city salesman for eight years, resigning in April, 1896, and accepting the appointment of deputy county assessor under Willard L. Ames, for whom he made assessments in the central portion of the city. In the spring of 1897 he was nominated for alderman and received the majority of the votes in the election.
In Abington Township, Lackawanna County, Pa., Mr. Clark married Miss Lucy Colvin, who was born there. Her father, Ezra, was a son of Otis Colvin, a native of Rhode Island and a pioneer farmer of Lackawanna County; he died at the age of eighty, and his wife, Mary (Capwell) Colvin, at the age of ninety. Ezra Colvin removed from Pennsylvania to Valley Falls, Kan., where he was proprietor of the Cataract House. He died there at the age of forty-eight years. Two of Mrs. Clark's great-grandfathers, Colvin and Capwell, served in the Revolution. Her mother was Celinda, daughter of George Parker, who removed from New York state to Lackawanna County, Pa., and settled upon a farm; Mrs. Clark was educated in the Lewisburg Female Seminary. The three children of Mr. and Mrs. Clark are: Bertha, Mrs. Crumb, of Denver; Lora, Mrs. Cusick, of La Junta, Colo.; and W. Judson, who is a student in Denver.
Fraternally Mr. Clark is a member of Hiram Lodge No. 261, F. & A. M., in Scranton, Pa., Chapter No. 185, in that city, and Coeur de Lion Commandery No. 21, in the same place. He is connected with the Ancient Order of United Workmen and has been past master. He is also identified with the Independent Order of Odd Fellows in Scranton. In the Galilee Baptist Church he has been a trustee and the treasurer. In former years he was a Democrat, and in 1878-80 was secretary of the Democratic county committee, but he became identified with the taxpayers in their first meeting and supported their ticket at the last election.
RANKLIN R. CALEY. Having passed almost his entire life in Colorado, Mr. Caley has been intimately identified with the development of its agricultural resources and has himself contributed to its growth. While he is still a young man, his birth having occurred August 31, 1869, he has already won a position of prominence among the farmers and dairymen of Arapahoe County. He is the owner of one hundred and sixty acres of land adjoining his father's homestead near Littleton and here he is engaged in general agricultural pursuits. He has recently made application for a patent on a retail delivery milk can, an ingenious device by which the milk and cream are delivered to a customer in separate compartments after having passed through a separator. This patent he hopes he may use to advantage in the dairy business, in which he has established himself. He is acquiring valuable cattle interests and will undoubtedly in time become one of the large land owners and dairymen of the county.
The history of the Caley family is given in the
PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.
sketch of our subject's father, Franklin T. Caley, which appears on another page. The first five years of our subject's life were passed in his native town, Sullivan, Crawford County, Mo. He accompanied his parents to Colorado and obtained his education in the public schools and the Agricultural College at Fort Collins. September 12, 1895, he was united in marriage with Edna, daughter of E. W. Stradley, of Littleton. One child blesses the union, a daughter, Alma E.
Giving his attention closely to his personal affairs, Mr. Caley has never taken an active part in politics. He is inclined to be independent in his views, and casts his ballot for the men whom he considers best qualified for office, whatever may be their political affiliations.
HARLES LERCHEN. Persistence, when joined with good judgment, almost invariably brings success. Mr. Lerchen has never had reason to regret that his foresight led him to persist in making the journey to the west in the early days. The excitement caused by the discovery of gold in Pike's Peak caused many men to take the long trip overland to the mountains; many of these Argonauts, as history records, soon wearied of the struggle and turned their faces eastward. About this time four young men, of whom Mr. Lerchen was the youngest, started from Davenport, Iowa, with a four-yoke ox-team and traveled up the Platte toward Colorado. From time to time they met groups of discouraged men going eastward and the reports thus gained were not in the least flattering, either to the mineral wealth or other resources of California. The enthusiasm of the men perceptibly decreased and near Fort Kearney the three oldest of the party turned back, leaving Mr. Lerchen with one yoke of oxen and a sack of flour. He then joined another company, which, when within two hundred miles of Denver, also turned back. Again left alone with his oxen and flour, he joined a man who was also coming to Denver and the two reached here June 22, 1859, after having been ninety days absent from Davenport, Iowa.
Mr. Lerchen is of Saxon birth, and was born near Dresden, September 11, 1839, the son of Charles and Amelia (Lau) Lerchen. His father, who was a harness-maker, brought the family to America in 1843 and settled in Detroit, but in the spring of 1850 went to Wheeling, W. Va., and in the fall of the same year located in Davenport, Iowa, where he worked at his trade. In the spring of 1860, accompanied by his sons, Charles and William, he started for Colorado, from which Charles had returned in November of the previous year. The three traveled towards the Blue River country and engaged in mining there for two seasons, after which Charles went to Montgomery and mined. In the fall of 1863 the firm of Charles Lerchen & Brother started a harness business. The father died in 1892, when eighty-four years of age. In politics he was originally a Democrat, but after the formation of the Republican party supported its principles. Our subject's mother was the daughter of a large landed proprietor in Germany and the city of Lau, located on his property, was named in his honor. She resides in Davenport, and is the mother of three sons and four daughters, all of whom are living but one son.
The eldest of the children was Charles. He was educated in Detroit and Davenport and obtained a good knowledge of both the German and English languages. As a boy he assisted his father in the harness business until coming to Colorado. Here he prospected for a few months at Russell's Gulch, starting for Davenport in 1859, on his twentieth anniversary. In the spring of 1860, with his father and brother William, he came west again, making the journey with a mule team, and crossing the Missouri at Omaha. He reached Denver thirty-five days after leaving Davenport, and at once began mining in the Blue River country, five miles below Breckenridge. In 1862 he went to Montgomery, but was not so successful there. In the summer of 1863 he and a brother bought a harness business on Blake, between Fifteenth and Sixteenth streets, Denver, and carried on business together until 1867, when he sold to his brother. During the war the Indians were very troublesome and frequently he joined private companies that went out to fight the savages.
Mr. Lerchen embarked in copper and silver lode mining in Custer and Huerfano Counties, and during this time found some gold mines, but the grant had been given by Governor Gilpin to the Denver & Rio Grande road, and it was therefore inadvisable to work them. In 1880 he went to the Bonanza camp in the San Luis Valley, and prospected at Kerber Creek, being there at the
PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.
time of General Grant's visit to the Colorado mines. In 1883 he became interested in dealing in cattle. This was not his first venture in that line, as from 1868 to 1870 he had carried on a cattle ranch in Arapahoe County, ten miles east of Denver. He has brought more thoroughbred bulls into Colorado than any other man in the state, having made a specialty of full-blooded Devonshires, Herefords, Shorthorns and Durhams. In 1892 he bought two carloads of full-blooded Devonshires from Rumsey Brothers, in Westfield, N. Y., and sold them in Middle Park and vicinity. He was the first man in the state who gave individual premiums for fine bred cattle. He is a member of Colorado Cattle Growers' Association. In national politics he is a Republican. From the first carnival of the festival of the mountain and plain he has been marshal of the first division on Pioneers' day. Like all Fifty-niners still living here, he holds membership in the Colorado Association of Pioneers. His office is in the Jacobson block, No. 1029 Sixteenth street.
In Denver Mr. Lerchen married Miss Naomi M. Haggerty, who was born in Missouri, the daughter of Henry and Mary (Gunter) Haggerty, natives of County Derry, Ireland, and Nashville, Tenn., respectively. Her father, who came to America in early life, settled in Colorado in 1863 and was a merchant tailor here. In the fall of 1866 his family joined him in Denver. His wife, who is still living, was a daughter of August Gunter, a native of Mobile, Ala., for a time a resident of Nashville, thence removing to St. Louis, but soon afterward settling upon a farm in Clinton County, where he remained until his death.
J. CLEARY, proprietor of the West Denver Boiler Works, was born in County Clare, Ireland, in 1845, the son of John and Margaret (Rohan) Cleary, also natives of the Emerald Isle. John Cleary was employed as pound master in Ireland, and died there in 1849, at the age of twenty-seven. Afterward Mrs. Cleary was married to M. Ryan, who was for years foreman of the New York Central Railroad at Rochester. In 1849 the family, comprising two children, our subject and a sister, were brought by the mother to America, and for a time lived in New York City, but later moved to Rochester, where she died at sixty-seven years.
The daughter, Annie, now resides in Brooklyn. In 1850 an uncle of our subject, James Cleary, came with his mother to America and located in Grand Rapids, Mich., but later removed to La Salle, Ill., where the grandmother died at a very advanced age, and the uncle still makes his home, being retired from active business.
At the age of eleven, our subject began to work on a farm in Mendon, Monroe County, N. Y., and at the age of sixteen he was apprenticed as a boiler maker in the New York Central & Hudson River Railroad shops at Rochester, where he served his time. Later he was employed by Chapin & Terry, boiler manufacturers of Rochester, and afterward was with Woodbury, Booth & Co., of the same city. December 8, 1868, he went to Omaha, Neb., where he was employed by the Union Pacific Railroad Company and by them sent to Laramie, Wyo., as boiler maker in the car shops. He arrived in Wyoming just before New Year's, 1869, and continued there until April 5, when he was transferred back to the Omaha shops, remaining in them until 1872. He then returned east and worked at his trade in Corning, N. Y., for a few months, then was at Painted Post, Addison and Elmira, in the latter place being foreman in charge of the boiler shops for three years and seven months for the La France Fire Engine Manufacturing Company. Early in 1879 he started west, and reaching Stewart, Iowa, worked there for five months, then in the fall of the same year came to Golden, Colo., where he was made foreman in the boiler department of the Union Pacific shops. This position he held until 1883, after which he was foreman in the Denver & New Orleans Railroad shops about four months, and for seventeen months foreman in what is now the Engineering Works of Denver. In the fall of 1884 he went to Evanston, Wyo., where he worked at his trade about six months. On his return to Denver he accepted a place as foreman with the F. M. Davis Iron Works Company, with whom he remained for five years and five months, then resigned in order to start in business for himself. In July, 1890, he started in business as a member of the firm of Cleary & Campbell, but after eight months bought his partner's interest and has since run the works alone. He manufactures boilers and heavy sheet iron of all descriptions. Among his con-
PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.
tracts are the following: three boilers, eighty horse-power each, for the Milwaukee Brewing Company, of Denver; two sixty-five horse-power, for the Greeley Light and Power Company; one, eighty horse-power for the Longmont Flour Mills; one eighty horse for the Alamosa Mills; one forty-five horse for H. W. Bingham; and two, each forty horse, in the Tabor block and Tabor Opera House block; and other boilers. The location of the shop is on Larimer and Fifth streets.
In Rochester Mr. Cleary married Miss Mary A. Huck, daughter of Edward Huck, a cooper there. They have had ten sons and one daughter, but seven of these are deceased, viz.: John, Katie, William, George (1st), George (2d), Emil and Henry, who died between the ages of six months and eight years. Those living are Edward James, who is employed in the Hungarian Mills; William Tecumseh, Fred Joseph and Albert John Rohan, all of whom are employed in their father's shop. Politically Mr. Cleary was at one time a Democrat, but is now a silver Republican.
ON. O. F. A. GREENE, a pioneer attorney of Boulder, is a member of all old eastern family that was identified with the history of Massachusetts during colonial days. The first of the name to settle in Maine was the great-great-grandfather of the subject of this sketch, a native of Massachusetts, and a pioneer of Maine, where he was killed by Indians in one of the early Indian wars. Seward, son of Joseph Greene, was born in Maine and engaged in farming, in Troy, Waldo County, where he also served as selectman and captain of militia. He married Abigail Conner, daughter of John Conner, a native of New England, whose father emigrated from Ireland and settled in Massachusetts. Seward Greene and his wife died in Maine in 1859, within two weeks of each other. Of their two daughters and one son the latter alone survives, he being the subject of this sketch.
Born in Troy, Me., February 2, 1842, our subject passed his boyhood years in his native town. In September, 1861, he enlisted in Company M, First Maine Cavalry, and with his regiment took part in the principal battles of the Army of the Potomac, among which were Antietam, Gettysburg and the Wilderness. He was wounded at Blackwater Bridge, Petersburg, in September, 1864, the bullet passing through his arm and entering the right side, lodging under the right shoulder blade, where it still remains. Upon the expiration of his term of enlistment he was honorably discharged, in December, 1864, In 1865 he entered Bowdoin College, where he was graduated in 1869, at the head of a class of thirty-one. During the same year he settled in Manitowoc, Wis., where he taught school for one year, and then engaged in studying law. After his admission to the bar in 1871 he practiced law in the same town until December, 1874. Meantime, in 1873, he had married Miss Carrie A. Mason, of Appleton, Wis.
Arriving in Boulder, Colo., in January, 1875, Mr. Greene has been a practicing attorney of this city ever since. In the sessions of 1881 and 1883 he was a member of the general assembly of Colorado, and served as a member of the state senate in 1885-87, being chairman of the judiciary committee both in the lower and upper houses, in 1881-83-87. For fourteen years, at different times, he held the office of city attorney of Boulder. His knowledge of the law is broad and comprehensive. For ten years he has been devoting leisure hours to the preparation of "A Treatise on State Legislation" from a scientific standpoint, which will soon be issued in book form and will form a valuable addition to the law literature of the state. He has been professor of Roman law in the University of Colorado for a number of years.
TTO P. BAUR, senior member of the firm of O. P. Baur & Co., confectioners and caterers, at No. 1572 Curtis street, Denver, was born in Wurtemberg, Germany, October 15, 1846, and is a son of Dr. Joseph and Pauline (Kohler) Baur. When he was a child of seven years, his parents crossed the ocean to Philadelphia, and settled in Tamaqua, Pa., where they remained until death. In that place the days of Mr. Baur's boyhood and youth were spent. As the family was large, it was necessary for him to become self-supporting at an early age. His first position was that of a clerk in a grocery establishment in his hometown, but the wages were so small that he determined to seek employment elsewhere, and at the age of sixteen he went to Pottsville, Pa., where he spent three and one
PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.
half years in learning the confectioner's business, receiving $10 per month until the last year, when his wages were $16.
On the expiration of his apprenticeship, in April, 1867, Mr. Baur left Pottsville and proceeded westward until he arrived in Denver, on the 5th of May, having made the journey by rail to North Platte, Neb., and thence by coach to Denver. At Council Bluffs he was compelled to wait for five days for an opportunity to cross the river, which was exceedingly high, so that everything was inundated and the trains could move only at a snail's pace. At North Platte he slept in a roofless hotel, with the floor for a bedstead, and having only such bedding as he himself could furnish. Indians were troublesome at that time and traveling across the plains was dangerous. The coach was overloaded with passengers and delayed United States mails, which added to the danger, when the Indians gave chase, but no blood was shed. Our subject rode on the top of the coach, lying on the mail sacks. The coach that immediately followed this one was attacked by the savages and several people were shot.
On reaching his destination Mr. Baur was $5 in debt, the trip having cost more than he anticipated; in order to pay the entire amount of his passage, he had borrowed from a companion who was more generously provided for than himself. He found Denver a town of four thousand inhabitants, prosperous and flourishing. He soon secured employment in his line at $40 per month, but the cost of living was so great that it was impossible to save much. He paid $10 for a pair of blue jeans, and everything else was as high in proportion. In the fall of the same year he was taken ill and for a time could not work. In February, 1868, he went to Elizabethtown, N. M., where gold had been discovered. He started on horseback but walked a part of the way and suffered many hardships en route. Having with him a complete baker's outfit, he opened a bakery in company with some friends who had preceded him. The summer was spent there prosperously. In the autumn he returned to Denver, where he spent the winter, and then again went to Elizabethtown, N. M. The second season, however, brought him less good fortune than the first. Coming to Denver again in the fall of 1869, he joined a party and started a bakery at Evans, Colo., on the Denver Pacific surveyed line. At that time the town existed "on paper" mostly. After carrying on a bakery in a tent for a time he returned to Denver, sold out his interest in Mexico and in 1869-70 was employed as a cook for the government surveying expedition in southern Colorado, in the vicinity of the Spanish Peaks, receiving $1 per day. That part of the state was undeveloped and inhabited mostly by the Indians and Mexicans, who gave the surveying party considerable trouble. On the return of the party, when within thirty-eight miles of Denver, a coach going southward brought the news that the first railroad train on the Denver Pacific would soon reach Denver. The men hastened on at four o'clock and reached the grounds in time to see the first train that ever entered Denver.
In August, 1870, Mr. Baur accompanied another surveying expedition to the northeastern portion of the state, and was again in danger from Indians, but through strategy the surveyors kept the savages at bay. Water was very scarce and often the men suffered greatly from thirst. While the others were at work, he was obliged to stay alone in camp all day and protect the outfit, a work of some danger, but fortunately he was never attacked. In the fall of the same year, returning from the expedition, he began to work in a confectioner's store on Lawrence and Sixteenth streets, and in February, 1871, he and a partner bought out his employer. They started in a small way and were obliged to go into debt to begin, but after a time the debt was paid and from that time the business prospered. Afterward he bought out another confectioner, whose business he consolidated with his own on Larimer street, where he remained for seventeen years. In 1891 he moved to his present location. In his employ there are about twenty persons, and a number of teams are kept on the road to deliver goods. His catering establishment has the largest and best equipped ice cream parlors in the city, and he enjoys the patronage of Denver's select society.
In 1876 Mr. Baur married Marie Kuner, of Denver, a native of Iowa. In politics he is independent and has never allied himself with either of the prominent parties. Fond of travel, he has often found recreation from business cares in visiting points of interest in this and other countries. In 1885 he went to Europe and while there visited Switzerland and many well-known and his-