PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.
he landed in New York City, where he found various kinds of employment for some six months. Then he spent the most of two years working in the state quarries in Vermont, after which he went to Massachusetts. He became a practical miner in the Hoosac Tunnel mines, where he continued to be employed up to 1869. That year he came to Colorado, and, settling in Erie, Weld county, he engaged in coal mining there for a year. Later he went to Ralston Creek, near Golden, and mined for another two years. In 1871 he purchased eighty acres of land in Boulder County, a portion of his present homestead. He continued his mining operations and in the year that saw Colorado admitted to statehood he bought his first tract of coal land. This he worked up to four years ago, when he leased it to other parties. In December, 1897, he commenced developing his valuable coal mine, which is in full operation and promises yet greater things. Since he settled in this county Mr. Fox has invested his money largely in land and now owns upward of sixteen hundred acres. Fourteen years ago he became specially interested in farming and stock-raising, and in these directions he has met with success equal to that which has blessed him as a miner.
The pleasant home of Mr. Fox owns as its mistress a lady who before her marriage with our subject was Miss Elizabeth Wilhelm, of Marshall. The marriage of this worthy couple was solemnized in 1883, and to them five children have been born, namely: Guy, Michael P., Charles J., Alva T. (deceased) and Dewey.
EORGE P. CHASE, of Boulder, is a charter member of the Boulder County Pioneer Association, and has been an active and interested witness in the development of this town and county from its early history. He has made his home in the county-seat for the past thirty years, during which period he has been very influential in the support of local improvements and industries. He was one of the promoters and builders of the Boulder and Central City toll road, which was later sold to the Union Pacific Railroad, and was a liberal contributor to the Boulder Valley Railroad at the time of its construction. Politically he is a true-blue Republican; has served one term as county commissioner of this county and has been a member of the board of trustees of the town.
Three brothers of the name of Chase emigrated from England to the United States, and settled in New Hampshire, where they engaged in farming. One of the number was the great-great-grandfather of the gentleman of whom we write. Grandfather Nicholas Chase, a native of New Hampshire and a farmer by occupation, lived to be four-score years old. Our subject's parents were George W. and Ann A. (Matthews) Chase, natives of Stratham and Portsmouth, Rockingham County, N. H., respectively. The father was a contractor and builder, and in his early married life lived in Lowell, Mass., thence removing to Newfield, Me., where he engaged in general merchandising, and operated a dyeing and fulling mill. He died in that town in 1873, aged sixty-four years. Religiously he was a Freewill Baptist. His wife died in Lowell, Mass., in 1839, and of their two children but one lived to maturity.
George F. Chase was born in Lowell, August 3, 1837, and in the public schools and academies of Maine he received an excellent education. When the western fever took hold of so many citizens in this country, 1859, he and four other young men started from Maine, and from Clinton, Iowa, proceeded westward with wagons drawn by oxen. While proceeding through Nebraska, they met a continuous stream of wagons returning east, and one day counted two hundred and sixty. In place of the pictured elephant with the legend, "We are going to see the elephant," which had decorated many of the wagons westward bound, was the sign, "We have seen the elephant;" others had as a sequel to the old term "Pike's Peak or bust," Pike's Peak and busted." It had been the intention of Mr. Chase and his comrades to go on to California, but, arriving at Fort Laramie the day after Horace Greeley had given an address there, in which he counseled people to locate in Colorado instead, as he had been in both states and spoke from experience, the little party concluded to act upon his advice. Colorado was then apart of Nebraska and Kansas Territories, and the line between the states of Nebraska and Kansas was not surveyed until some months afterwards. Mr. Chase arrived in Boulder July 22, 1859 (about six months after
PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.
the town had been laid out) and with his companions built the first two-story log house in the place. They engaged in prospecting less than two months before three of the party returned east. H. P. Butler, now of North Park, was the other man who with our subject concluded to stay here.
The fall of 1859 Mr. Chase took up land on South Boulder Creek, three and a-half miles southeast of this town. He erected a log house, and in the spring of the year following put into operation plans of irrigating the land that proved very successful. He has ever since been engaged in general farming and stock-raising on this place, but has made his home in Boulder for thirty years. In 1866 Mr. Chase took up a quarter section of land in Weld County, near the Platte River, and engaged in stock-raising there up till 1875, when he sold the property; however, he never lived in Weld County, but conducted the place by tenants. In 1863 he built a frame house here, but it was later burned, and he erected another one for his family.
May 14, 1864, Mr. Chase returned to Maine and married Miss Augusta A. Staples, a native of that state, and daughter of Isaac Staples, a farmer. He lived to the extreme age of ninety-five years, dying in 1895. The young couple had an exciting wedding journey across the plains, for Indian troubles were prevalent, and at Fort Kearney they stayed until three hundred wagons had assembled there when a government escort of troops was provided the company. All along the way they saw deserted ranches and ruined cabins, and each night Mr. Chase and his brother-in-law kept watch, taking turns in guarding their property. The five children born to Mr. and Mrs. Chase are: Frederick L., who graduated from the University of Colorado in 1885; took a postgraduate course in Yale College and is now professor of astronomy in that institution; George A., who was assayer in Boulder until his death in 1897, at the age of thirty years; Charles H., who died in his eighteenth year; Harry A., a member of the University of Colorado, class of '99, and captain of the university foot-ball team; and Susie, who died in childhood.
For over thirty years Mr. Chase has been a deacon and trustee of the Congregational Church in Boulder. Fraternally he is a member of Columbia Lodge No. 14, A. F. & A. M.; is a standard-bearer of Mount Sinai Commandery No. 7, K. T.; is king of Boulder Chapter No. 7, R. A. M., and belongs to El Jebel Temple, Mystic Shrine, of Denver. He was probably the first one initiated into Columbia Lodge after it was removed from Ward to Boulder, and for twenty-nine years he has been its treasurer. He is one of the trustees of the Boulder Masonic Temple Association, which boasts one of the handsomest and most complete lodge-rooms to be found anywhere. Mr. Chase is also a member and noble commander of the Order of the Golden Cross. He was influential in securing the university for Boulder.
ILLIAM C. AUTREY. In July, 1870, with his brother Thomas, the subject of this sketch homesteaded eighty acres of land where he now lives, two miles southeast of Superior, Boulder County, and here embarked in the cattle business. After a time another eighty-acre tract was added to the original purchase, and as other property came to them from time to time, a division was finally made, William receiving the homestead of one hundred and sixty acres. About 1885 he purchased three hundred and twenty acres of railroad land, making his present place one of four hundred and eighty acres, on which he is engagad (sic) in farming, dairying and stockraising.
In Andrew County, Mo., Mr. Autrey was born January 26, 1846, a son of James S., and Sarah (Robinson) Autrey. He was one of eleven children, ten of whom are still living, namely: Mary, wife of David Estey; Isaac; Sarah, wife of James C. Jones; Thomas; William C.; Edward; Elijah; Mrs. Susan Ellsworth; Nancy M., wife of Henry Holt; and George K. The father, who was a native of North Carolina, born in 1815, accompanied his parents to Tennessee in childhood and there grew to manhood and married Miss Robinson, who was born in that state in 1815. Shortly after his marriage he moved to Indiana and for a few years made his home there. Migrating to Missouri, he resided in DeKalb and Andrew Counties until 1869, and then came to Colorado, where he invested in Denver real estate. During the remainder of his life he engaged in no active business, but gave his time to the management of his property interests and received a good income therefrom. With the exception of a short
PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.
time in Arkansas, he continued to reside in Denver until 1892. From this city he went to Cheyenne, where he bought property. Afterwards, for some years, he resided in Pueblo, Colo., where he owned residence and business property. From Pueblo he returned to Denver, but in 1892 removed to Canada, where he remained until his death, in 1895.
The education obtained by our subject was such as the common schools afforded. In the spring of 1866 he began for himself, going to Minnesota, where for eighteen months he was engaged as a farm hand. Returning to Missouri in 1867, with his brother Thomas he engaged in farming for two seasons. In 1869, when the family migrated to Colorado, he accompanied them, arriving in Denver in January of that year. For a short time he attended school, after which he engaged in freighting from Denver to the end of the railroad, which had then reached Evans, Colo. Since 1870 he has given his attention successfully to agricultural pursuits.
The marriage of Mr. Autrey occurred December 9, 1877, and united him with Miss Zelda E., daughter of William C. Hake (see sketch upon another page for family history). Five children were born of their union, all of whom are at home. They are named as follows: William Frederick, born November 17, 1878; Clinton Elmer, October 24, 1882; Addie E., November 16, 1885; Byrna Grace, September 23, 1892; and James Sterling, May 20, 1898. Fraternally Mr. Autrey is identified with Louisville. Camp No. 137, Woodmen of the World, and his wife is connected with the Ladies Circle No. 123, of Louisville, an auxiliary of the Woodmen of the World.
D. HILL settled in Littleton in 1870 and has since made his home in this pretty and prosperous suburb of Denver. For a time after coming here he was employed in the Rough and Ready mill, but in 1872 he embarked in the mercantile business, which he has since conducted, carrying in his store a general stock of goods. About 1885, in connection with I. S. Morse, he established the Littleton Creamery Company, of which he has since been president and Mr. Morse secretary and manager. To this concern the most of his time and attention are now given. The business includes creameries at Littleton, Sedalia, Castlerock and Parker, with an office and warerooms at Nos. 1732-36 Blake street, Denver. From the parent creamery at Littleton the other concerns have sprung, but at the present time this is the least important station of the four.
In the town of Spencer, Worcester County, Mass., Mr. Hill was born August 1, 1843, the son of Dexter and Eliza (Prouty) Hill. He was one of five children, of whom besides himself two survive, C. P., of Oakham, Mass., and O. G., a druggist of Littleton. The father was born in 1807 in Worcester County, where his ancestors had lived for several generations. He devoted his active life to the mercantile business and died at the age of forty-six. He was a man of good moral character and undoubted integrity and as such was highly respected.
Mr. Hill was eighteen years of age when the Civil war began. He had taught one term of school in New Hampshire prior to that time, but at once abandoned the occupation and entered the service of the Union. August 16, 1861, he enlisted in Company H, Twenty-fifth Massachusetts Infantry, under Capt. O. Moulton and Col. Edwin Upton. Among the important battles in which he took part were those of Newberne, N. C., Roanoke Island, Kenston, N. C., Bermuda Hundred, Petersburg and Cold Harbor, and he also bore himself valiantly in the minor engagements of the regiment. In the statistics drawn up by Colonel Fox, that great statistician states that the Twenty-fifth Massachusetts heads the list in number of its killed, having lost seventy-one per cent. in the battle of Cold Harbor alone, and of the three hundred fighting regiments in the army none equalled (sic) that number.
Mustered out of service at the expiration of the war, Mr. Hill returned to Worcester, Mass., and entered the employ of the Adams Express Company, remaining in that position for a year. July 24, 1866, he arrived in Denver after a trip of twenty-six days across the plains. Shortly after arriving here he secured a contract to cut one hundred and fifty tons of hay on the Platte near Port Lupton. After this was finished he returned to Denver and for a time was variously employed. The Union Pacific road had by that time been completed as far west as Fort Kearney and he secured employment with the corporation, being employed for two years in the construction of this
PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.
and the Central Pacific roads. He came to Littleton in 1870 and has since become one of the prosperous business men of this place. He is a silver Republican and, like all veterans of the war, takes an interest in Grand Army matters.
Mrs. Inez B. Hill, our subject's wife, is a daughter of B. J. Berry, who was born in Machiasport, Me., and from there moved to Colorado in 1866, settling at Littleton, where he continued to reside until his death in 1897. One daughter blessed this union, Eva F. Hill, born in Littleton, and a graduate of the Littleton school.
AXMILLIAN NEEF, treasurer of Neef Brothers' Brewing Company and a resident of Denver since 1873, was born in Wolfach, Baden, Germany, and is the son of Rudolph and Paulina (Armbruster) Neef, both natives of Baden. His paternal grandfather, Louis Neef, was for many years engaged in the meat business in Baden, and during the Napoleonic wars served as captain of a company that accompanied the illustrious general on the march to Moscow; during his term of service he was seriously wounded. He died when seventy-one years of age.
For years Rudolph Neef carried on the largest hotel business of anyone in his place, winch on account of its springs was a noted health resort. He was the originator of Kiefernadeln oil (the original St. Jacob's oil), which he manufactured from certain kinds of pine tree needles and from which St. Jacob's oil has been produced, the two being alike except that the American St. Jacob's oil has coal for its principal ingredient. He died at the age of sixty-five. Twice married, he is survived by his second wife, who has conducted the hotel since his death. By his first wife he had twelve children and of these eight are living, all in Germany except two. One son, Fred, came to America in 1871 and two years later settled in Denver, where he is now president of the Neef Brothers' Brewing Company.
Concerning the life of Fred Neef we note the following: He was born in Wolfach, Baden, Germany, March 6, 1846, and was educated in the gymnasium, going to Lyons, France, at the age of seventeen and securing employment as a clerk in the Credit Lyonais, one of the largest banking institutions in the world. Later he became a traveling salesman for a raw silk firm in Lyons, of which in time he was made assistant manager. This firm did from fifteen to twenty-five million dollars' worth of business every year. In 1871 he came to America and settled in St. Louis, Mo., where he was in the employ of a wholesale paper and wall paper firm for one year. Next he went to Omaha as bookkeeper, later as salesman, for the largest wholesale business of that city. In 1873 he came to Denver, where he has since resided. In 1884 he erected a three-story brick building, and in August, 1891, with his brother Max, he bought the Western brewery. He was married in this city to Miss Carrie Weigele, a native of Lafayette, Ind., and sister of William Weigele, of this city. They have one child, Emil Neef.
Primarily educated in Wolfach, the subject of this sketch afterward was a student in the high school at Breisach on the Rhine in Baden, where he finished his schooling. For one year he was apprenticed to the cooper's trade, after which he spent two years as a brewers' apprentice in Friesenheim, and then went to Wurtemberg, working there and in a number of other large cities and later following his trade in Switzerland. In 1868 he took passage at Bremen on the steamer "New York," which landed him in New York City, from where he went to St. Louis, where he secured employment in the Greentree brewery, and for four and one-half years he remained in the same place. His next position was in an Omaha brewery, where he remained for a year. In 1873 he came to Denver and with his brother started in the wholesale liquor business at No. 1331 Fifteenth street, his brother being the head of the concern.
After a time Mr. Neef accepted the position of foreman of Ph. Zang's brewery, having been recommended to Mr. Zang by Mr. Schlosstein, of the Greentree brewery. One year later, however, he resigned the place and returned to Fifteenth street, forming with his brother the firm of Fred Neef & Bro. In August, 1891, they purchased from J. B. Dostal a brewery at Nos. 1201-19 South Fifth street, and at once took possession of the recently completed plant. Two years later, July 1, 1893, the firm of Neef Brothers' Brewing Company was incorporated with Fred Neef as president, J. R. Schilling secretary and Max Neef treasurer. The brewery has a capacity of seventy-five thousand barrels per year. It has the mod-