PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.
for county treasurer and came within one hundred and thirty votes of gaining his election. He joined the Masonic order in Ottawa, and belonged to the Blue Lodge chapter and commandery there, and was, moreover, affiliated with the Woodmen of the World there.
The marriage of Mr. Giller and Miss Mary Owens, a native of Kentucky, was solemnized in Harrisonville, Mo., August 25, 1887. Her father, Robert, was a farmer in that vicinity. Mrs. Giller departed this life February 15, 1897, in Boulder, leaving four children: Helen Mowbray, Eleanor Louise, Henry Thomas and Charles Robert. Mr. Giller is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, and is now acting in the capacity of trustee.
ROF. P. V. CARLIN, M. D., who has his office at No. 1407 Champa street, Denver, is connected with the University of Denver Medical College as clinical professor of obstetrics and is a member of the staff of St. Joseph's Hospital. He enjoys the distinction of being, in point of years of active practice, the oldest physician in Denver who is a graduate of a medical college in this city. His success is the result of energy, close application and sound judgment and entitles him to a position among the foremost physicians of the city.
Born in Ireland in 1854, Dr. Carlin was only one year old when his parents crossed the Atlantic and settled at Caledonia, Livingston County,. N. Y., where the father engaged in farming until he was accidentally killed in 1867. The mother, who bore the maiden name of Mary O'Neill, reared her family on the home farm, but afterward came west and now makes her home with her eldest child, our subject. Two sons, John and James, are engaged respectively in farming and mining, the former being in California. The only daughter, Mary A., is a teacher in the Hyde Park public school; and the youngest son, T. J., is a practicing physician of Denver.
When a boy Dr. Carlin attended the Caledonia public school. Later, by teaching, he earned the money with which to defray his tuition in the State Normal School in Geneseo. In 1878 he began to study medicine in Rochester, under Prof. E. M Moore but after a year entered the medical department of the University of the City of New York. He took a course of lectures there, then came to Colorado with a brother who suffered from pulmonary trouble. Arriving in Denver, he became a student in the University of Denver medical department, and was a member of the first graduating class, composed of five young men, only two of whom are in Colorado and only one in Denver. After graduating in 1882, he was appointed resident physician to the Arapahoe County Hospital by the board of county commissioners, but after three months resigned and formed a partnership with Dr. Denison, the two practicing together for two years. Since that time he has been alone. For two years he held the chair of demonstrator of anatomy in the University of Denver Medical College, after which he was made adjunct professor of anatomy, and is now clinical professor of obstetrics. He is a member of the American Medical Association, also belongs to the Colorado State and Denver and Arapahoe County Medical Societies, and is consulting physician to the Union Pacific, Denver & Gulf, and Leadville & Gunnison Railroads. Politically he votes the Democratic ticket. He is married, his wife having been Miss B. A. Delehanty, of Geneseo, N. Y.
NDREW REED owns and occupies a farm of one hundred and sixty acres in Boulder County. After the purchase had been made and some improvements effected, the government made the survey of this country and while he still retained one hundred and sixty acres, the boundaries of the farm were moved, and thirty acres, on which were all the improvements, were lost to him on one side of his ranch, while the same amount was given to him on the other side. Later, however, he bought the thirty acres with the improvements, paying $500 for the same. Recently eighteen acres of this land were sold for $2,800. In addition to this property, he owns a valuable farm of two hundred and forty-two acres, some six miles west of Longmont, in this county, which he has owned since 1863.
Mr. Reed was born in Alvesta, Sweden, December 14, 1828, a son of Swan and Anna (Larson) Reed, being one of seven children, three of whom survive, Carl, Andrew and Lars. His brothers remain in Sweden and are engaged in agricultural pursuits. The father, who was born in Sweden, was reared upon a farm and became all agri-
PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.
culturist. Being a very energetic and progressive man, he acquired much landed property, being the owner of between four and five thousand acres. At the time of his death he was seventy-five years of age.
At an early age, upon the home farm, our subject gained a thorough knowledge of agriculture. March 6, 1854, he took passage, in company with his brother John, on a small sailboat, "Lulio," bound for America. After a rough voyage of more than two months, they landed in New York City May 22, and from there went direct to Chicago, where they spent three months, working in a stone quarry. From that city our subject went to Geneva, Ill., where he secured farm work; and his brother John went to Batavia, where he died in February of the following year.
In 1856 Mr. Reed moved to Minnesota, settling in Rice County, where for the next six years he farmed during the summers and spent his winter months in the lumber camps of Steele County. In 1862 he joined the procession westward and with an ox-team crossed the plains to Colorado, arriving in Denver July 7, 1862. The train was composed of himself and wife with their two children, two lawyers, one brewer, two musicians, two clog dancers, one blacksmith and others, and at night, when the camp was struck, music and dancing were the order of the evening, and for a time all the privations and hardships of the trip were forgotten through the jolly disposition of the men. Before they started an agreement was made that there was to be no traveling on Sunday, and this rule was strictly adhered to. On arriving at the Platte River in Nebraska, they came to a ranch whose owner was a Mr. Hastings. They found his farm was being raided and his supplies stolen by another train, composed of disreputable men. They surrounded the robbers and forced them to return all the stolen goods. In Iowa one member of the company captured an immense turtle and on Sunday, with Mrs. Reed as chief cook, a turtle soup dinner was served to the surrounding farmers, with toasts and speeches from the lawyer members of the party. With a can of milk tied to the bow of the wagon, they would have milk to drink for dinner and cream skimmed from the morning's milk was thrown into the milk that was left, which, through the motion of the wagon, was churned into butter for supper.
On arriving in Denver, Mr. Reed at once made preparations to go on to the mountains. As soon as he arrived at Russell Gulch, he secured employment in the mine, while his wife served as cook for the miners. When cold weather came on, he went to Blackhawk, and spent a month in going front there to Bob Tail Hill, where he remained until April 8, 1863. He then went to Clear Creek Valley, four miles west of Denver, where he began to farm. In the fall of the same year he removed to Marshall, where he remained until spring, and then moved to his present place, which he had purchased some months before.
In Minnesota, July 8, 1858, Mr. Reed married Caroline Nyberg, of Sweden. Five children were born to them, of whom Angenella and John A. are deceased. Emma, who attended the state university, at St. Louis, is the wife of Prof. Charles H. Wright, who organized the first manual training school in Denver and is now an instructor in Throop's Institute, at Pasadena, Cal. Oscar M. is a graduate of the manual training department of Denver university and now in partnership with his father, owns valuable mining property at Copper Rock, Colo., which he superintends. Luella, who took a course in the Denver high school, the Colorado state university and the kindergartens in Colorado Springs and Denver, is the wife of William A. Heath, who is engaged in missionary work in the mining regions of Trinidad, Colo.
For years Mr. Reed has been a member of the school board. In religion he is identified with the Congregational Church, and contributes generously to its maintenance. He gives his influence to aid those measures that will benefit the people and aid in the developing of the resources of the county.
OBERT J. SPOTSWOOD, who was a well-known character on the plains in early days and is now engaged in farming and stockraising at Littleton, Arapahoe County, was born at Culpeper C. H., Va., October 25, 1839, a son of Naborn B. and Sarah E. (Markham) Spotswood. He was one of two children, the other being A. T., of Moscow, Idaho. His father, who was born in Rappahannock, Va., about 1785, moved to Missouri in 1847 and settled in Columbia, Boone County, where he engaged in the drug business and carried on a large, practice as
PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.
a physician until his death, in '88. During the war of 1812 he served as a member of what was known as the Petersburg Blues. He was a grandson of Sir Alexander Spotswood, the first colonial governor of Virginia.
After having attended the local public schools for some years, the subject of this sketch entered the University of Missouri at Columbia, where he remained for two terms. In 1858, at the age of eighteen, he went to Fort Leavenworth and secured employment with Hickman & Parker, who were sub-contractors under Majors, Waddle & Russell, contractors to freight supplies from the Missouri River to Camp Floyd, forty-five miles south of Salt Lake City. He drove an ox-team across the plains, and spent five months in crossing, reaching Salt Lake in November. There the teams were sold and in a very short time he started back with a mule-team, which was considered a hazardous undertaking. It was intensely cold when he reached Ash Hollow on the North Platte. There he found a man whose name was Sam McChatt, and the two camped together until the weather moderated and rendered travel possible. He arrived at home in February.
With an outfit of his own, Mr. Spotswood went on a trading trip to Fort Kearney. In 1860 he came to Denver, bringing a load of freight from Atchison, and arriving in this city April 16, 1860. During that season he made three trips between Atchison and Denver and spent the winter in Atchison. In 1861 he went to Salt Lake as wagon master, with twenty wagons and five yoke of oxen, for David P. Power. The trip was made in one hundred days, which was considered a short time. Selling the outfit, he returned to Atchison, where he arrived November 1. He was on the point of joining Gen. Odon Guiteau's regiment and had gone down to take the boat; when, as he stood on the landing, Paul Coburn, of the Overland Stage Company, sent a boy down to him with a request to come up at once, as Gen. Bela M. Hughes wished to confirm him as messenger. He went to Denver as messenger, spending six days and six nights on the trip, and returning in the same length of time. Six months later he was appointed division superintendent, having the first division, from Denver to Julesburg, two hundred miles. While he had charge of that division, he had horses changed every ten miles, and he bought both the horses and the supplies. Ben Holliday owned the line from Atchison to Salt Lake and Wells, Fargo & Co. owned from Salt Lake to Placerville, Cal. While Mr. Spotswood was in charge of the first division, Mr. Holliday made his famous trip, to win a wager with an ocean steamer that he would make the trip to New York sooner than they would make a given point. Our subject took him over his division in seventeen and one-half hours, which was the fastest time made during any part of the trip. This occurred in 1862.
In the spring of 1864 Mr. Spotswood was engaged in buying horses and supplies to outfit a mail route, Mr. Holliday having secured mail contracts from Salt Lake to Virginia City, Mont. In May, 1864, the enterprise was started, with two hundred head of horses and mules and coaches and fifty men, Mr. Spotswood being ordered to make a quick trip and get the line in operation by July 1. Instead of taking the stage line route via Denver, he crossed the river at Julesburg and took the old South Platte road, going through country inhabited by hostile Indians, with whom, however, he had no trouble until he reached Poison Springs, where there was a skirmish with the red men and two of the whites were killed. He arrived in Salt Lake June 20, and stocked the road, of which he was superintendent for one year. When Mr. Holiday came out on his annual trip, he ordered Mr. Spotswood to take the first division out of Denver on the Salt Lake road, from Denver to North Platte, two hundred and twenty-six miles. During the five years he was there, he had many experiences that were thrilling and dangerous, and was in constant skirmishes with Indians.
When the Union Pacific Railroad was built through that section of the country, Mr. Spotswood gave up his work, and came to Denver, where he was with John Hughes & Co. Later he bought out his employers, and with William C. McClellan, bought out the Colorado Stage Company, which he operated ten years, staging to Fairplay from Colorado Springs, and from Fairplay to Alma and Dudley, also to Leadville and Canon City.
In August, 1879, Mr. Spotswood bought five hundred and twenty acres on Bear Creek, to which he moved in 1880. In 1887 he sold apart of the land to the United States government, to be used for Fort Logan, and the remainder to
PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.
Henry R. Wolcott for a ranch. Since then he has owned and operated his one hundred and sixty acres near Littletown. In Boston, Mass., January 8, 1888, he married Jessie Broad, by whom he had three children. Two are living, Minnie May and Robert Wolcott.
ILLIAM JAMES BAIRD, M. D. Among the prominent members of the medical profession of Boulder County this young man has taken a well-deserved place within a few years. He is talented and scholarly, having spared no pains in the acquisition of a thorough education and the best possible preparation for his chosen field of noble endeavor. Not content with the ordinary degree of Doctor of Medicine, he has given many additional years to postgraduate work and special lines of study, and has also had several years of invaluable experience as a physician and surgeon in actual practice.
The family of which the above-named is a sterling representative is of the same stock as the celebrated Bairds of Auchmedden, Scotland, who owned great estates and a fine castle for generations, and though this property passed from the family for a period, it was eventually bought back and is still in the possession of the Bairds. They originated in Normandy and accompanied William the Conqueror to England. Subsequently one of the brave and sturdy Bairds rescued King William the Lion from a bear which was about to make short work of the royal personage, and the lucky subject who had killed the bear was forthwith given a coat-of-arms and a large tract of land, which, in addition to that which he already possessed, made him a very extensive land-owner. When this place, Auchmedden, was in the hands of strangers the Bairds lived in Lanarkshire, and one of the number, Alexander, was a wealthy coal operator. Two of his sons, Robert and James, became ironmasters, owning at one time from forty to fifty large blast furnaces with a combined capacity of more than three hundred. thousand tons per annum, and affording employment to about ten thousand men and boys. Besides, the brothers were extensively interested in coal mines and owned vast estates in various parts of Scotland. Robert Baird became the purchaser of the old family castle and property, Auchmedden, in 1856; and at his death it passed into the hands of his brother, James. The latter, whose name was given to the doctor, was a wonderful man in many respects. From 1851 to 1857 he represented Falkirk Burgs in parliament, and in his later years he built and endowed numerous schools and was exceedingly generous toward various philanthropies. He was a very devout man, and in 187! set aside a fund for what were called the "Baird lectures," a series of addresses in the defense of orthodox theology in Scotland. In 1873 he made a magnificent gift to the Church of Scotland - $2,500,000 - to be used in meeting the spiritual destitution among the people of that country with the "bread of life."
The great-grandfather of Dr. Baird was an own brother of the Alexander Baird previously mentioned. He came to America at an early period and settled in Virginia. There his son, Capt. John Baird, grandfather of our subject, was born. He won his title in the war of 1812. Removing from his native state to Alabama he became a well-to-do planter in Madison County. The parents of the doctor are Duke O. and Eliza (Robertson) Baird, both natives of Alabama and still living there. The father was an attorney at-law, but, as he had a decided preference for medicine, he eventually abandoned the law and became one of the best physicians and surgeons of Pickens County, Ala., where he is still engaged in active professional work. During the Civil war he was a surgeon in the army. Mrs. Baird is a daughter of Daniel Robertson, an Alabama planter. The five children of Dr. Duke O. and Eliza R. Baird are: W. J., Mary Eliza, Jane Hamilton, Duke McCabe and Electra Williams.
Dr. W. J. Baird was born at Coal Fire, Ala., June 21, 1861, and was educated under private tutors and in private schools. He took up the study of medicine with his father and in 1879 entered the medical department of the University of Alabama. A year later he enrolled himself in the University of Maryland, and on the third of the following March he was graduated from that institution with the degree of Doctor of Medicine. Returning then to the south he established an office and began practice in Birmingham, Ala. From 1884 to 1887 he was the resident surgeon for the Penn Mobile Coal Company at Corona, Ala. In 1887 he returned to the University of
PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.
Maryland and pursued a post-graduate course.
From 1890 to 1892 he was assistant chief surgeon of the north and south divisions of the Louisville & Nashville Railroad, and was also assistant physician to the Jefferson County Hospital.
The year 1893 witnessed the arrival of Dr. Baird in Boulder, and that winter he was a student in the University of Colorado. In June, 1894, he went to Chicago and took a special line of studies in the Chicago University, and from January to October, 1895, was a fellow in physiology in the institution. The following winter of '95-96 he was instructor in experimental physiology in the University of Colorado, and in '96-97 he held the professorship of pathology in addition. During the summers of 1896 and 1897 he was a graduate student in the medical department of the Johns Hopkins University, making a specialty of bacteriology and pathology. Thus from 1893 to August, 1897, he gave all of his time and attention to perfecting himself in scientific methods of treatment and diagnosis of disease, save the periods that he devoted to teaching along the same lines of thought.
The doctor's office is at the corner of Pearl and Fourteenth streets. He is examiner for the Des Moines Life Insurance Company and is similarly employed by the Fraternal Aid and the National Union. He is a member of the Boulder County and Colorado State Medical Association and is also identified with the American Medical Association. Fraternally he is connected with Silver Queen Lodge No. 112, I. O. O. F., of Boulder. When a student in Chicago he joined the First Baptist Church on the south side, and still holds membership there.
HOMAS W. LIPSCOMB opened a law office in Denver November 1, 1879, when the city had a population of about forty thousand, and he has since been numbered among the able attorneys and counselors-at-law of the place. Though not a politician, in the usual sense of the word, he is a stanch friend of the Republican party and has frequently served as delegate to conventions For one year he held the office of assistant district attorney under judge Graham. He has an extensive general practice in the courts of the city and state. Among his notable cases was that of Williams vs. Williams, in which Mrs. Kate Williams sued her mother-in-law, Mrs. Elizabeth M. Williams, for alienating the affections of her husband. He was engaged as attorney for the plaintiff, whom the jury awarded $12,500. The case was afterward appealed to the supreme court, by whom the plaintiff was given $16,000 damages. As attorney for the defendant he took an active part in the celebrated case of the People vs. Mackey, for the Sunday closing of barber shops, where the defendant won, the district court deciding that the law was unconstitutional. He was employed as attorney in the case of Drury et al. vs. City of Denver and the Denver Sanitary & Fertilizing Company, in which the city and the company were enjoined from using the Merz process in destroying the garbage of the city. The case was bitterly fought, but the city was permanently enjoined, and the defendants did not consider it advisable to carry the case before the supreme court.
Mr. Lipscomb was born in Marion County, Mo., December 18, 1855; and is a son of Henry S. and Martha K (Maddox) Lipscomb. His father, who was a native of Virginia, removed from there to Missouri. He was a Democrat and a stanch supporter of the Union. At the time the war broke out he was a member of the Missouri legislature and was one of the number who refused to leave the hall when Clabe Jackson adjourned the legislature to Neosho, Mo., and attempted to take the state out of the Union. He enlisted in the state militia for service in the Union army and was a commissioned colonel. At the close of the Rebellion he was the People's party candidate for congress, but was defeated by the Democratic nominee, John T. Glover. He had been offered the nomination for attorney-general of the state, but declined, preferring to make the race for congress. He died in 1889, at the age of sixty-nine.
The boyhood days of Thomas W. Lipscomb were passed in Palmyra, Mo., where he prepared for the University in St. Paul's college. At the age of seventeen he entered the University of Michigan, but spent only one year there, next becoming a student in the University of Missouri at Columbia and spending a year in the classical course there. In Ann Arbor he was a sophomore and in Columbia a member of the junior class. Afterward he was in the office of his brother-in-
PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.
law, Judge Slingerland, at Kirksville, Mo., until his father removed to St. Louis, when he accompanied the family to that city. When about twenty-one years of age he was admitted to the bar in St. Louis, Mo. While in Marion County he acted as deputy in the circuit clerk's office for some time, in order to familiarize himself with the proceedings of court. From St. Louis he came to Denver in 1879. He was a candidate here for the office of city attorney after it became an elective position, but was defeated by Judge Dawson. In 1889 he was the Republican candidate for county judge, but was defeated by Judge George W. Miller.
Soon after coming to Denver Mr. Lipscomb became a member of Union Lodge No. 7, A. F. & A. M., and he has since taken the higher degrees to the Mystic Shrine. In this city he married Miss Clara B. Selleck, daughter of Mrs. George W. Brown, of Denver. They have an only child, Clara Belle Lipscomb.
EORGE A. KOEHLER, agent for the Pacific Express Company at Boulder, is a respected citizen of this place. He has been in the United States for thirty years, and is a loyal citizen of his adopted country. He stands high in business, fraternal and religious circles, and is thoroughly upright and straightforward, in all his dealings with others.
The birth of our subject occurred in Dresden, Saxony, Germany, April 28, 1845. His ancestors were noted for superior scholarship and attainments in the world of science and education, and many of their sterling characteristics have been handed down to their posterity. Grandfather Koehler was for years a member of the faculty in the University of Leipsic, Germany, and Carl G., the father of George A., was a native of that classic city. He graduated from the university there with the degrees of Doctor of Philosophy and Doctor of Divinity, and afterwards was professor of philosophy and theology in Dresden, being at the head of the Annen Real school. He died while serving in that capacity in 1868, aged fifty-six years. His wife, Marie, was likewise born in Dresden, and her death occurred in 1860. Her father, Dr. Henry Schmalz, a native of Saxony, graduated from the universities of Heidelberg and Leipsic, and from the medical college at Bonn. He made a specialty of diseases of the eye, and became foremost in that direction among the celebrated oculists of Europe. His fame was widespread, and among his patients were numbered many of the nobility of various countries on the continent. He died in 1861, at the advanced age of eighty-seven years.
George A. Koehler is the youngest of six children and the only one of the family in the United States. He grew to maturity in Dresden, was educated in the government schools, and completed his studies in the University of Tharandt. He continued as a student there for three years, when he left, at the close of his junior year. His mother had previously been summoned by the death angel, and, his father then dying, the young man decided to enter at once upon his business career. Leaving Bremen, he sailed for New York City, and as he could not speak English, he knew he must accept a subordinate position of some kind to that which he would have liked. He was employed by Marburg Brothers for a year and a-half in Baltimore, and then, for a like period was an orderly at Castle Garden. His next venture was to learn the process of manufacturing powder and high explosives in the works of J. R. Rand & Co., of Pequanoc, N. J. During the seven years of his employment with this firm he was once blown up and fell into some acid, which so severely burned him that he was laid up for about two months. He thoroughly learned everything pertaining to the business and ultimately became the superintendent of the plant. He served as such until the works were closed, and then, in April, 1882, he came to Colorado, and was installed as foreman of the powder works at Mooreville. This plant also closed down in a year or thereabouts. The auditor of the Union Pacific, who had met Mr. Koehler at the station at Mooreville, told him that a position was awaiting him at Como, and accordingly the young man was made a clerk at that station. At the expiration of a year he was promoted to be agent at Como, and held the post until February, 1893, when he deemed it advisable to seek a lower altitude, on account of his health. Coming to Boulder, he was immediately offered a place as agent for the Pacific Express Company, and accepted the same. In 1894 the Denver & Rio Grande Express Company
PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.
had a contract with the Gulf Railroad, and made our subject agent for both lines (Pacific & Rio Grande). Since 1896 he has been joint agent for the Rio Grande and the Pacific Express Companies. The Denver & Rio Grande's contract having expired in 1897, they discontinued their local office here. A portion of Mr. Koehler's duty is to look after all express matter for the various mountain camps of this region, and he is kept very busy.
In New York City the marriage of Mr. Koehler and Miss Dorothea Witthoeff was solemnized in 1874. She is a native of Hamburg, Germany, and has lived in the United States for twenty-seven years. Mr. and Mrs. Koehler have one son, Victor, who is a messenger on the new Colorado & Northern Railroad. When he was a resident of Como, Mr. Koehier was an alderman for five years, and for seven years was a member of the school board, serving as president, secretary and treasurer at different times. Politically he is a Democrat. In Boulder Lodge No. 112, I. O. O. F., he is a charter member, past officer and ex-representative, and is a past officer of Encampment No. 6, and was twice grand marshal of the Grand Encampment. Of Canton No. 9, at Como, he is past commander, and with Canton No. 16, of Boulder, he holds a similar place. He is connected with the Kremlin Riga, of Denver, and is all elder and member of the board of trustees of the English Lutheran Church.
EANDER WILLIAMS KIMBALL, a well-known citizen of Boulder, is a veteran of the Civil war and has always been a loyal Republican, taking an active and influential part in support of his party. He has worked in Republican leagues and has made a point of attending local, county and state conventions, whenever possible. In the last presidential campaign he sided with the silver supporters, as he is a firm believer in that side of the financial question. He is past commander of Nathaniel Lyon Post No. 5, G. A. R., and has served as an aide on the staff of Gen. John A. Palmer. Thirty years ago he was initiated into the Masonic order in Kingsville Ohio, and is now identified with Columbia Lodge No. 14, A. F. & A. M., of Boulder.
Our subject is a son of Chester and Victoria (Williams) Kimball, natives of Montpelier, Vt., and Hartford, Conn., respectively. The father of Chester, Lewis Kimball, was also of the Green Mountain state, coming from an old family there, and some time prior to his death he became a resident of Michigan, there spending his last years. By occupation Chester Kimball was a carpenter and builder, and for a number of years his home was in Centerville, Allegany County, N. Y. His death occurred in that town when he was in his sixty-eighth year. His first wife had died many years previously, when but thirty-three years old. His son George, now of Golden, Colo., was a soldier of the Fifth New York Regiment in the Civil war. Julia, the eldest daughter, died in Golden and Victoria died in childhood. By a second marriage Mr. Kimball had two daughters, both living in Centerville, N. Y., at this time.
L. W. Kimball was born February 4, 1834, in Centerville, and after completing his common school education. attended Rushford Academy, graduating therefrom. He then engaged in teaching school for two terms in Rushford, after which he was a teacher in Harmonsburg, Crawford County, Pa., up to the time of the war. Seven days after Fort Sumter was fired upon the young man enlisted in the three months' service as a member of Company E, in the "Erie" regiment, commanded by Col. John W. McLean. Upon the expiration of the term of his enlistment he assisted in raising a company, and was commissioned first lieutenant of Company E, One Hundred and Eleventh Infantry. With his regiment he was ordered south and took part in all of its campaigns until, upon account of physical disability he was sent to Baltimore, where his resignation from the service was accepted November 16, 1862, an honorable discharge being granted him.
The following year Mr. Kimball entered the employ of Powell Brothers, of Syracuse, N. Y., and for ten years represented them as their agent in Pennsylvania and Michigan. During three years of this period he was interested in the small fruit business. From 1880 until 1890 he was an agent for T. Rupert, of Conneautville, Pa., traveling mostly in Nova Scotia. Eight years ago he came to Colorado, and locating in Boulder, bought a piece of property at No. 646 Marine street and built thereon. He established a nursery and fruit-tree business here, and is the leader in this
PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.
line in the county. His trade is not confined to the limits of the county, however, as he has built tip a good patronage in Jefferson County, as well. He has introduced many new varieties of shrubs, rose-bushes, vines and small fruits, etc. In addition to his regular business, he has investments in two mining claims in Eldora, Colo., and others at Summerville and Boulder Canyon.
The first marriage of Mr. Kimball occurred in Conneautsville, Pa., Miss Mary E. Smith, a native of Crawford County, being the lady of his choice. She died in Kingsville, Ohio, and two of their sons died in childhood. Ernest, who graduated in the Austinburg (Ohio) Commercial College, is now a resident of Boulder. The lady who now bears the name of our subject was formerly Miss Emma Whitelock, a native of Hutchinson, Minn., and daughter of Sidney W. Whitelock, of Boulder.
ROCKETT RICKETTS, mayor of Boulder, is the proprietor of the Boulder News, the oldest paper published in the county, as it was founded in 1866. During its existence it has passed through many hands, but has always continued to be, as it is to-day, a strong and clear exponent of the principles of the Republican party. It is printed each week and aims to give a concise, yet sufficiently comprehensive review of the great events which are engaging the attention of the world, and at the same time present to its readers an interesting account of the doings of the citizens of this locality, of improvements and progress along all lines.
For the past decade Mr. Ricketts has been editor and proprietor of the News. He had formerly been occupied in newspaper work for many years and is a practical, broad-minded man, ably qualified, both by nature and education, for such a responsible position as is afforded an editor, who has the direction of the public mind, in great measure. He has the welfare of the county and city deeply at heart, and is a true patriot. though a mere lad, he enlisted in the Union army towards the close of the war, being- assigned to Company D, One Hundred and Thirty-fourth Indiana Infantry. For years he has been connected with the Grand Army of the Republic, and is past commander of Nathaniel Lyon Post No. 5, of Boulder. In 1872 he was admitted into the Masonic order at Westport, Ind., and was made a Royal Arch Mason before leaving that state. He now belongs to Columbia Lodge No. 14, A. F. & A. M., of this city. He is also identified with the Knights of the Maccabees.
In tracing the history of the subject of this review it is found that his paternal great-grandfather settled at Rising Sun, Ind., on the Ohio River, about the commencement of this century. Grandfather Abraham Ricketts removed further into the territory of Indiana (as it was then) about 1820, settling in the wilderness of Decatur County, near the present town of Greensburg. At that time our subject's father, Nathan Ricketts, was a boy of six years. His whole life, thenceforth, was spent within the boundaries of Decatur County, where he was respected by all. In 1835 he married Louisa, eldest daughter of Abel Todd, who was one of the early pioneers of Indiana, going to that state from Kentucky, where his ancestors had been contemporaries of the famous Daniel Boone. Nathan Ricketts died in 1887. He was the father of seven children, all but one of whom survive. LaFayette, the eldest of the family, enlisted in the defense of the Stars and Stripes, in the One Hundred and Twenty-third Indiana Volunteers, and had his leg shot off at the battle of Kenesaw Mountain. He died two months later from the effects of the wound.
Crockett Ricketts was born near Greensburg, Ind., March 24, 1846, and led the usual life of the farmer's boy of the period. He worked on the old homestead, attending the district schools in the winter season, and when he returned from the war he industriously laid his plans to secure a better education than he had yet been able to acquire. Part of the time he found employment on farms and the remainder of the time he taught in the country schools until he had a sufficient amount to pay his way through college. Afterwards he read law in the office of Col. Simeon Stansifer, at Columbus, Ind., and then practiced for a short period. He then became connected with the Columbus Republican (a daily and weekly paper) and in 1878 assumed the editorial management of the journal, continuing in that capacity for ten years, or until he came to Boulder. In 1895 he was elected mayor, in spite of his protest, and was re-elected in 1897.
April 6, 1876, Mr. Ricketts married Miss Amanda E. Patterson, who was born in Hamil-