PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.
travels for it through the west, usually making several trips every year. He is an energetic young man, with a seemingly inexhaustible store of pluck and a quick and accurate judgment in business matters.
Having given his attention very closely to business he has not identified himself with political affairs, though he keeps posted on the issues before the people and always supports the silver Democratic principles. He was married in Denver, in 1894, to Miss Agnes Emiley Dunn, a sister of Joseph P. and Charles J. Dunn.
LONZO ALLEN, treasurer of the Lake Ditch Company, treasurer of the Altona Stone Quarry Company, treasurer of the Altona Grange, and for fifteen years secretary of the Altona school board, is one of the most influential farmers and business men of Boulder County. He was born in Trumbull County, Ohio, October 14, 1843, a son of John and Abigail (Broadswoard) Allen, and was one of seven children, six now living, viz.: Alonzo, Joktan, Mary A., Eliza J., Levi and Clara E. His father, who was a native of Cheshire, England, emigrated to the United States in early manhood with his father, John Allen, and settled in Trumbull County, Ohio, where he married. In 1853 he removed from there to Defiance County, Ohio, where he has since engaged in agricultural pursuits.
In the schools of the home neighborhood our subject acquired a fair education. He remained at home with his parents and assisted his father in the management of the home place. In 1872 he married Miss Pruda Parker. Two children were born of their union, namely: Edwin, now deceased, and Eunice, wife of Clyde Bolton, a prominent farmer of Boulder County. In the fall of 1873 our subject migrated to Colorado, and from Boulder went by stage to Gold Hill, where he joined his brothers, Joktan and Levi. After spending some days with them he came to the valley and settled on Left Hand Creek, where he built a cabin and engaged in farming and stock-raising. His first work was on the Lake ditch; in 1882, after the survey of the township, he filed his claim for one hundred and sixty acres, which he now owns, he and his brothers together owning eight hundred and forty acres.
Joktan Allen was born in Trumbull County January 3, 1845, and from his native place came to Colorado in the fall of 1869, settling in Blackhawk, where he hauled wood to the smelter for three years. Next he went to Gold Hill and worked in the mines for two years, after which he worked at Sunshine for three years. In 1876 he came to this valley and took up one hundred and sixty acres, which land he has since cultivated.
Levi Allen was born in Defiance County, Ohio, October 18, 1854. In the fall of 1871 he came to Colorado, hoping to benefit his health, which had been poor. For a time he remained in Blackhawk and afterward accompanied his brother to Gold Hill, thence going to Sunshine, where he worked at sorting ore. Coming to Boulder County in &876 he settled on one hundred and sixty acres of land, which he has since cultivated.
The three brothers are highly respected wherever known. Joktan and Alonzo are members of the Grange, in the work of which they take an active interest. All are energetic, capable and persevering, with the business ability and sound judgment that invariably bring success.
ALTER EDMUND TOWERS, of Denver, was born at Denny, seven miles from Sterling, Sterlingshire, Scotland, Sunday, March 28, 1841. He is a descendant of English ancestors, his paternal great-grandfather having removed from the North of England to the vicinity of Edinboro. The latter's son, Walter, was born near that city, but removed to Bonneybridge, where he engaged in milling. In Bonneybridge, Sterlingshire, occurred the birth of his son, Robert, who was for a few years engaged in the freighting and hay and grain business between Sterling and Glasgow, but he died at the early age of thirty-two. In religions belief he was a Presbyterian. He married Agnes MacDonald, a native of Sterlingshire, and deceased at forty-nine. She was a daughter of Archibald MacDonald, a farmer, who was born in the Highlands and was a relative of the MacDonald family massacred at Glencove.
In the family of Robert and Agnes Towers there were six children, of whom four are living, Walter Edmond being the third in order of birth and the only on of the number in America.
PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.
He was the first child christened by John Edmond, D. D., afterward London's famous divine, who gave him his name in recognition of the fact. He was only seven when his father died, and as the family were poor he was early obliged to earn his own livelihood. For this reason he had no school advantages, and, with the exception of six months' attendance upon night schools, he has acquired his education by self-culture, experience and observation. At the age of eight he began to work in a calico printing factory, where his first employment was that of dipping the blocks into the colors. In time he was advanced to more important positions. At the age of sixteen he left the works and apprenticed himself to the carpenter's trade in Denny, where he served about three years. He then went to Glasgow, where he worked as journeyman and later as foreman.
April, 1867, found Mr. Towers in Canada, where he spent three weeks in Richmond and Montreal. In May he went to Vermont and for one season worked on a boat in the mountains. His next location was in New York City, but after a short time he went as far west as Chicago, where he remained two years. In August, 1869, he went to California, and worked in contracting at Sacramento, San Francisco and San Jose, returning to Chicago in November, 1870, and engaging in contracting and building there. The year 1877 found him prospecting and mining between Webb City and Joplin, Mo., and later he was similarly occupied in Galena, Kan., from which place he came to Colorado, settling in Silver Cliff in March, 1879. After prospecting there for a year he went to the Bonanza camp in the San Luis Valley, where he mined about one year. In August, 1881, he went to Pueblo, where he engaged in contracting and building, but in June, 1885, went east and two months later, returning to this state, settled in Denver. His contracts here have included some of the most important work of the kind in the city, among them being the Denver high school, trinity Methodist Episcopal Church (the finest structure built by that denomination in the world), St. James Church, Iliff School of Theology (which always attracts the admiring attention of visitors), the elegant residence of Bishop and Mrs. Warren at University Park, also remodeled the Markham and the front of Daniels & Fisher's store, put in the front of The Fair, the addition to the Colorado National Bank, the Preston residence in Colorado Springs and remodeled the Central block of Pueblo.
In Denver Mr. Towers married Mrs. Susan Aline (Tipton) Williams, who was born on the farm owned by her parents and situated on the battlefield of Gettysburg. The homestead was originally purchased by her Grandfather Rogers and is now a part of the National Park. Mrs. Towers is the mother of one son, Ralph B. Williams. The home of Mr. and Mrs. Towers is at No. 104 South Lincoln avenue and his shop is in the rear of No. 145 Champa street. He is a member of the Master Builders' Association and takes an interest in everything pertaining to his occupation. Fraternally he is connected with the Masons in Chicago and in politics adheres to the doctrines of the Republican party.
RWIN E. KEELER, a member of the firm of W. B. Keeler & Sons, of Boulder, is a very energetic and successful business man. He is upright and just in all his transactions and has won the respect and high regard of everyone who has had dealings of any kind with him. About twelve years have passed since he cast in his fortunes with the inhabitants of this attractive valley town, and he has never seen reason to regret his choice of a home and place of business. He is politically allied to the Republican party, firmly believing that its policy has been the cause of our national success and standing among the great powers of the earth since the dark days of the Civil war, and that, under its banners, we, as a people, shall march onward and upward to yet greater glory.
The paternal grandfather of the above-named gentleman was Samuel Keeler, who was born in New York and later removed to New Jersey, where he was engaged in running a tannery. Later in life he removed to Ohio, and during his last years he led a retired life in Columbus. Both he and his wife attained the venerable age of ninety years and over. Our subject's father, William B. Keeler, was born in New Jersey, in 1816, and is still living, his home being in Boulder. In 1843 he moved to Iowa, settled in Burlington, and from that point made frequent trips into the interior, transporting supplies and goods for people who were moving further west. In
PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.
1849 he took up a tract of government land near Pella, Marion County, Iowa, and improved a farm, which he placed under good cultivation, adding much to its original value in innumerable ways. In 1873 he located in the town of Otley, in the same county, and embarked in a mercantile enterprise, continuing there for ten years. Going then to Greene County, Iowa, he conducted a store in Rippey until the fall of 1886, when he came to Boulder and started the business now managed by his two sons. He has practically retired from active life, and is justly entitled to restful old age after the long years he has spent in industrious and unremitting toil. His faithful companion and helpmate along life's journey is still sharing his joys and sorrows and is now in her seventy-third year. She was Miss Ruth H. Wilson before her marriage, and is a native of Hunterdon County, N. J. This worthy couple had a family of seven children, but four of the number have been called to the silent land. One son is Rev. A. O. Reeler, pastor of the Presbyterian Church in Norton, Kan.; the other surviving children are Irwin E. and Harry E., who are members of the firm which was established here by their father.
Irwin E. Keeler was born on his parents' homestead near Pella, Marion County, Iowa, and spent his childhood in that state. His education was such as the common-schools afforded him, and under his father's judicious training he early learned the principles of business. As early as 1873 he commenced his mercantile career by clerking in the store owned by the senior Reeler, and in 1883 was admitted to partnership, the style of the newly-made firm being W. B. Reeler & Son, They located in Rippey, Iowa, that year and remained in that town for a period of three years. The youngest son of W. B. Keeler was taken into the firm in 1890, it having since been known as W. B. Keeler & Sons. In 1886 the business was brought to Boulder, and a store was opened in the Lippoldt building, on Pearl street, near Eleventh. Their trade increased so rapidly that within a year or two it was found necessary to double their accommodations: In 1890 they moved about a block further up the street, and occupied a space of 25 x 100 feet. Later this was extended twenty-five feet, but this extra amount of room also proved inadequate and in 1894 the firm built a fine store, 71 1/2X125 feet, placed hot-water heating pipes and other modern appliances in the building, and have had everything to their satisfaction since. The store is a department concern and is run on the most approved city plan. A splendid line of dry goods, carpets, shoes, groceries, etc., is to be found here, and trade is in a most flourishing condition. The proprietors do a wholesale and retail business, on a strictly cash basis, and are prospering. Mr. Keeler, of this article, and his brother, Harry E., are members of the Presbyterian Church and are loyal and patriotic citizens.
LONZO C. STILWELL, water commissioner of district No. 6 and a prominent citizen of Boulder County, began farming pursuits on his arrival here, and, after having operated as a renter for some time, he pre-empted eighty acres some five miles northeast of Boulder. To this tract he afterward added forty acres of school land, and continued to improve and cultivate the property until 1880, when he sold the place. At the same time he purchased one hundred and sixty acres in the same locality, and here he has since resided. In politics he is a stanch Republican. Governor Routt tendered him, in 1891, appointment as water commissioner of District No. 6, and the appointment was tendered him later by Governors Waite, Mclntire and Adams successively. He is a veteran of the war and holds membership in Nathaniel Lyon Post No. 5, G. A. R., of which he was commander for one term.
A native of York state, born April 1, 1845, the subject of this sketch is a son of Ezra and Mary (Howe) Stilwell. He was one of eight children, five now living, viz.: A. A., of Grant City, Iowa; Sophronia, wife of L. M. Lewis, of Albany, Wis.; C. S. and H. H., both residents of Waukon, Iowa; and A. C., of this sketch. The father was born on Lake Champlain, in Vermont, and in youth learned the trades of a wheelwright and miller. He married Miss Howe, who was born in Chesterfield, N. H., April 2, 1809. Shortly afterward he removed to York state, where he spent a number of years in Allegany County following his trades. There all of his children were born. In the fall of 1851 he removed to Wisconsin, stopping for a short time in Milwaukee, Janesville and Dunkirk, and finally settling in Fulton, where he soon died;
PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.
At the time of his father's death our subject was about seven years of age. At the age of seventeen he obtained employment as a farm hand. When nineteen, May 10, 1864, he enlisted in Company E, One Hundred and Thirty-fourth Illinois Infantry, Captain Milligan, and was sent down to Kentucky, where he remained nearly four months, much of the time at Mayfield. Going to Chicago, he was expecting his discharge there, but as Price's raid occurred in Missouri about that time, he was sent with his company there, finding, however, on their arrival that Price had retreated. They were then returned to Chicago, where he was discharged October 25, 1864. He proceeded at once to Allamakee County, Iowa, and joined two brothers at Buckland, where he assisted in getting out wagon material which his brothers had contracted to furnish. This occupied him some two and one-half years.
Crossing the plains with his wife's relatives in 1867, Mr. Stilwell arrived in Ward June 23. Here his father-in-law owned a sawmill, he having resided here for some four years prior to our subject's arrival. The latter began to work in the mill and remained there eighteen months, after which he began farming. He is an industrious, persevering man,, and the large farm that he owns represents his unaided efforts through a long term of years.
ARRET A. GARRISON, architect, contractor and builder, of Denver. The family of which Mr. Garrison is a member was represented among the earliest settlers of New Jersey and originated in Holland, where the name was spelled Garretsen. It is thought that they are connected with the New York family of the same name. The great-grandfather of our subject was born near Paterson, N. J., and was accidentally drowned by the capsizing of a boat in which he was crossing the Hudson to New York. His son, G. A., who was with him, escaped. The latter enlisted for service in the war of 1812, but was not called out. He owned a farm in Bergen County, N. J. twelve miles from Paterson, and there he died at eighty-nine years of age. His wife was Adeline Zabriskie, descendant of one of that name who, when a boy, was kidnapped by the Indians, and while in captivity learned their language. The Indians were finally crowded by civilization and moved westward, leaving Mr. Zabriskie, who had reached maturity, in possession of a valuable tract of land.
The father of our subject, Abraham Garrison, was born on the old homestead near Paterson, and there much of his life was passed, engaged in agricultural pursuits. He also owned a farm of four hundred and six acres in Bergen County. His last years were spent in retirement in Paterson, where he died in 1891, at the age of eighty-seven years. In religion he was identified with the Reformed Church of America. His wife, who bore the maiden name of Leah Harris, was born in New York City and died at Paterson in 1888. Their twelve children were as follows: Adeline and Doramus, who died in childhood; Mary, who died at Paterson when sixty years of age; John, who occupies a portion of the old homestead; Jane, who passed away during the '50s; Leah, who died in 1862; Mrs. Ann McNama, who resides in Bergen County; Garret A.; David and Abraham, who are engaged in the carriage manufacturing business in Paterson; Simeon, a carpenter, also of Paterson; and Mrs. Ellen Pullis, of Allendale, N. J.
At the age of eighteen Mr. Garrison, of this sketch, was apprenticed to the carpenter's trade in Paterson and served for five years. In 1868 he embarked in business as a contractor and builder, and from the first his skill and accuracy were evident. Up to 1887 he had made his home in or near Paterson, where he had been born in September, 1842; but the west presented a field for labor that seemed profitable and pleasant, and he finally determined to seek a home beyond the Mississippi. Accordingly he came to Denver, and, as many buildings were being erected here at that time, he at once stepped into a profitable business. He had the contract for the telephone building on Lawrence street and for other important public structures; in addition to which he has erected many residences and terraces.
In politics Mr. Garrison is a Populist, believing that the highest prosperity of our nation and its people can be secured only when a double standard of money is adopted. Fraternally he still holds membership in Joppa Lodge No. 29, F. & A. M., at Paterson. His family are connected with the Broadway Christian Church, but he is