PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.
surgery and clinical midwifery. His office is in the California building. He is editor of the department of gynecology and obstetrics in the Western Surgical and Medical Gazette. He is a member of the Alumni Association of Northwestern University, is connected with the University and Overland Park Clubs of Denver, holds membership with the Sons of the Revolution, and in religious connections is identified with Central Presbyterian Church. In politics he is a silver Republican, but, aside from the casting of his vote, he has never taken any part in political affairs, preferring to devote his attention exclusively to his professional duties.
ON. CHARLES A. CLARK. The name of this enterprising merchant of Louisville is well known throughout Boulder County, and in many parts of the state as well. It was in 1877 that Judge Clark came to Boulder Valley and extensively embarked in the cattle and stock business. He soon became prominent in the Republican party in the county. In 1883 he was elected to the state legislature, where he served through the session of 1883-84, and was chairman of the committees on agriculture and irrigation. Upon his return home from the legislature he continued in the cattle business upon his ranch of three hundred and sixty acres, which is valuable coal land. Removing to Louisville in 1895, he opened a real-estate office and was appointed a notary public (which office he still holds) and justice of the peace. Since 1895 he has carried on a mercantile business, having a stock of goods suited to the wants of the people of his locality, and conducting business upon an honest and reliable basis that has won him many patrons and friends. In addition to other interests, he owns the town site of Clarkston, where there is a fine creamery and cheese factory in operation.
In Hopkinsville, Christian County, Ky., the subject of this sketch was born, June 5, 1834, a son of Henry I. and Mary (Mansfield) Clark, natives of Virginia. His father, who was born in 1793, grew to manhood and was married in the Old Dominion, but shortly after his marriage he removed to Kentucky and settled in Christian County, becoming one of the extensive planters and slave holders of his locality. During the war of 1812 he enlisted and served, by various promotions, in all the ranks up to that of captain. In 1836, selling his property in Kentucky, he removed to Illinois and located near Bloomington, McLain County. The section where he settled was afterward incorporated in Woodford County. He was a prominent man of his locality and filled the offices of county commissioner and justice of the peace for several terms. His death occurred in that county in 1874.
The paternal grandfather of Judge Clark was Henry Clark, a native of Virginia, where he was a slave owner and planter. He accompanied his son to Kentucky, and there remained until his death. The mother of our subject was a member of a prominent Virginian family and was born in 1794 and died in 1859. Her father, William Mansfield, was a veteran of the Revolution and was present at the surrender of Lord. Cornwallis. The wife of Henry Clark was a cousin of the famous General Gaines, who is remembered especially through a law case that attracted the attention of the entire world.
The education of our subject was obtained in the common schools and a private high school, where he studied for one term. At eighteen years of age he began to clerk in a general store, at Danvers, Ill., but in 1854 went to Chicago, where he clerked for others for two years and then embarked in the grocery business for himself. After two years he sold out and until February, 1859, was employed as a clerk. At the time of the Pike's Peak excitement he started for the mountains. Going to Lawrence, Kan., he, in company with three others, bought a wagon, cattle and outfit, and started across the plains, leaving his wife and family with her relatives, who had moved to Lawrence some time previous. He reached Denver June 14, 1859, and proceeded direct to the mountains, where he spent the remainder of the summer, in the vicinity of Nevadaville and Central City. Returning in the fall to Lawrence for his family, in the spring of 1860 he made his second trip across the plains with an ox-team. He again went to the mountains, and there mined until late in 1862, when his health failed. He then came to the valley, settling on Bear Creek, in Jefferson County, where he carried on a stock ranch for three years, and met with success in that undertaking. Being elected sheriff of Jefferson County, in 1865 he went to Golden,
PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.
where he remained in the capacity of sheriff for two years and deputy-sheriff two years. He also served as justice of the peace for a number of years in Jefferson County, and for eight years in Boulder County. Upon retiring from the deputy-sheriff's office he established a mercantile business, which he carried on for a number of years, and until his removal to Boulder County. For eight years he served as chairman of the Jefferson County Republican central committee and at the same time was a member of the executive board of the state committee.
In 1854 Judge Clark (for by the title of judge he is best known) was united in marriage with Miss Sabrina Smith, a native of Maine, who died March 10, 1888. They were the parents of seven children, but only two are living, Harry L. and Frank W. The former has for nine years been superintendent and head assayer of W. J. Chamberlain & Co., of Blackhawk. The latter, who is an expert metallurgist, has for eight years been superintendent and metallurgist of a large smelting plant at Tacoma, Wash. Fraternally Judge Clark is connected with the blue lodge of Masons. He is a member of the Colorado Association of Pioneers, in which he takes an active interest. The success that has met his efforts is the result of his energy, business judgment and determination of will, qualities that almost invariably bring their possessor a large share of financial success.
ARION FULWIDER, who came to Colorado in 1877, was one of the successful ranchmen of this state and was for some years prominently identified with the Colorado Cattle Growers' Association as the chairman of its executive committee. He embarked in the stock business immediately after coming to the state and for some time, in partnership with his brother, owned and conducted a ranch in Arapahoe County, but afterward he sold out. He was later a member of the firm of Harrison & Fulwider, engaged in ranching at Roggen, on the Burlington road.
The Fulwider family originated in Germany, but has long been identified with American history. The grandfather of our subject, David Fulwider, was born in Virginia, and there engaged in farming, also followed the trade of tanner and currier, until advancing years rendered further labor impossible. He died at the age of ninety-three. Henry, our subject's father, was born in Greenbrier County, in what is now West Virginia, and about 1830 removed to the west, spending a few years in Ohio, Indiana, Michigan and Missouri, but in 1839 settling near what is now Tipton, Cedar County, Iowa. He bought a tract of government land, upon which not a furrow had been turned. At once beginning to improve the place, he soon brought it under excellent cultivation. The land, which comprises four hundred and eighty acres, was owned by our subject. Upon that place the father died at the age of eighty-two. He was an earnest Christian and a consistent member of the Methodist Episcopal Church. His wife, in maidenhood Harriet Kincaid, was born in Greenbrier County, of an old Virginian family, and died in Iowa at eighty-seven years.
The parental family consisted of ten children, all but one of whom attained maturity. They are as follows: Mrs. Betsey Bolton, who died in Oregon; Mrs. Sallie A. Hanner, of Iowa; Mrs. Allie Hill, and Mrs. Ellen Edmundstone, both of whom died in Iowa; Mrs. Emily Speer, who lives in that state; Andrew, a resident of Ringgold, Iowa; Marion; Newton, who is proprietor of the Armory stables in Denver; and H. M., a merchant in St. Louis. Our subject was born near Tipton, Iowa, in 1841, and was reared on the home farm. The first school that he attended was conducted in a log building, with none of the appurtenances now considered so necessary in teaching. After a few years, however, a brick building was erected, and he was a student in it until his schooling was completed. From an early age he was interested in stock-raising, and his farm contained many head of flue animals, which he sold in Tipton and neighboring towns. In the spring of 1877 he came to Denver and here carried on the stock business successfully until his death, April 3, 1898.
Politically Mr. Fulwider voted the Democratic ticket, but was not active in politics. He was married in Iowa to Miss P. J. Reeve, a native of Ohio, and a daughter of Rev. James Reeve, a pioneer minister of the Baptist Church in Iowa. They had two sons, the elder of whom, Forest E., is with the Denver & Rio Grande Express Company; and the younger, Harold, is a student in the manual training school.
PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.
Mr. Fulwider will long be remembered by his friends and associates as a man of sterling worth of character, whose word was his bond and whose friendship was above price. His many good qualities of head and heart endeared him to all who knew him.
OHN V. YOUNG, who located in Denver in 1887, was born in Andover, Allegany County, N. Y., in March, 1847, the son of D. K. and Lavinia (Davis) Young, natives respectively of Vermont and New York. His father, who was a cooper in Auburn, N. Y., for some years, removed thence to Andover and opened a cooper shop, following that business for many years. He died in 1887, at the age of seventy-eight. His wife is still a resident of Andover. They were the parents of six children, five living: Abbie J., wife of John C. Nichols, of Andover; Ebenezer, who served in the Eighty-fifth New York Infantry during the Civil war and is now living retired in Almond, N. Y.; Dewert E., of Denver; John V.; and Viola J., wife of Charles Hand, of Andover. The youngest son, H. D., died in Denver.
The first twenty years of Mr. Young's life were passed upon the home farm. At Alfred, N. Y., in 1867, he married Miss Victoria Tucker, daughter of Gardner Tucker, who was born in Berkshire County, Mass., and became a very successful farmer of Alfred, N. Y., owning over a thousand acres there. He was of English descent. His father, Gardner Tucker, Sr., was born in Rhode Island and settled upon a farm in Massachusetts, but later became a pioneer agriculturist of Alfred. The mother of Mrs. Young was Martha Partridge, who was born in Berkshire County, Mass., in 1810, the daughter of William Partridge, who emigrated from England to Massachusetts and died soon afterward. She passed away in 1890, and her husband in November, 1885, at the age of seventy-four years. They were the parents of eight children, of whom six are living, Mrs. Young being next to the youngest.
After his marriage Mr. Young engaged in farming near Alfred, but in 1887 he came west to Colorado, where he located a ranch in Washington, Morgan and Weld Counties and embarked extensively in the sheep-raising business; also engaged in the wholesale meat business, mutton and lamb exclusively. On his ranch he raises alfalfa for feed and usually keeps twenty thousand head of sheep, the flock being increased each year by breeding and at the same time decreased by the sale of sheep in the markets. He and his brother are practical, experienced ranchmen, with a thorough knowledge of the sheep business, and possessing the energy and business ability calculated to secure success. During the time they have resided in Colorado they have gained a large acquaintance among the people of Denver, as well as among the ranchmen in the state, and wherever known are respected for their intelligence and good judgment.
While Mr. Young is not active in politics he is firm in his opinions and adheres to the Republican doctrines. In religion he is connected with Grace Methodist Episcopal Church. He and his wife are the parents of five children, namely: Mrs. Fannie Shannon, whose husband is engaged in the paint and wall paper business in Denver; Mrs. Viola Cudworth, of Silverplume, Colo.; Archie, Iva and Allen.
ILLIAM HULT, who is engaged in the mercantile business at Salina, is a native of Brooklyn, N. Y., where his father, William, Sr., died in early manhood; his mother, Elizabeth, is still living and makes her home in Jamestown, N. Y. He was one of three children, of whom himself and Conrad survive; the latter, now a resident of Jamestown, served in the Civil war under General Hancock and was wounded upon several battlefields. In Brooklyn, where he was born in 1856, our subject attended grammar school No. 15. In 1871 he removed with his mother to Jamestown, where for a time he clerked for his brother, but in 1877 came west to Colorado, settling in Leadville the following year. After two years devoted to mining in that town, he went to Red Cliff, where he prospected.
Crossing the range with a pack of burrows in 1880, Mr. Hult located the first claim and took up the first mill site where Red Cliff is now located. After three years in that location he removed to the present site of Aspen, where then there were only two log cabins and a tent. He prospected through the "frying pan" country, then went to the mount of the Holy Cross, where now is Brook's camp, thence to the Bonanza at
PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.
Saugre de Cristo range, from there to Leadville, where he resumed mining. In 886 he settled in Crisman, Boulder County, where he built a store and engaged in merchandising. May 3, 1894, the flood washed his store and its contents away, and he decided to remove to Sauna. Here he bought his present building and stocked it with a choice grade of goods, since which time he has carried on a general mercantile business.
In Leadville, in 1884, Mr. Hult married Miss Kate Robinson, a native of County Clare, Ireland, whence she came to Montpelier, Vt., and from there, in 1883, to Colorado. Her parents both remained in Ireland until their death.
In the local ranks of the People's party Mr. Hult is an active and influential worker. While in Red Cliff he served as deputy marshal and at Saugre de Cristo he held the office of constable. In 1893 he was elected commissioner of Boulder County on the People's ticket, and served from January, 1894, to January, 1897, being chairman of the board during the last year of his term. He was elected to this position as representative of the third district of Boulder County.
Fraternally Mr. Hult was made a Mason in Columbia Lodge No. 14, A. F, & A. M., to which he still belongs, as he does also to Boulder Chapter No. 7, R. A. M.; Mount Sinai Commandery No. 15, K. T., and El Jebel Temple, N. M. S. He is also a Knight of Pythias, belonging to the Uniform Rank, and is first lieutenant of the Second Regiment. In the Odd Fellows he is identified with lodge, encampment and canton, and is also a member of the Muscovites of Denver. The Woodmen of the World and the Ancient Order of United Workmen, both of Boulder, number him among their active members.
RS. LUCY J. (MATHEWSON) CARLE, who resides three and a-half miles northeast of Boulder, was born in the town of Walworth, Wayne County, N. Y. In her early childhood she accompanied her parents, Daniel and Celestia (Baker) Mathewson, to Chautauqua County, N. Y., where she was reared and educated. When seventeen years of age she became a school teacher, and this occupation she followed for several years in her home county, after which she went to Minnesota, and taught in the village of Nininger (which was named in honor of the then governor of the state). In this place she made the acquaintance of J. H. Carle, a native of Ithaca, N. Y. Two years afterward they were married, the ceremony being performed by Rev. J. H. Vincent, D. D.., LL. D., of Chautauqua and Sunday-school fame. They started for Colorado April 5, 1860, and reached the Rocky Mountains on the 5th of June. After residing at Blackhawk during the winter, they bought the Half Way House on the road between Boulder and Central City, where they remained for ten years. They then moved to her present home, which is less than four miles northeast of Boulder. Here Mr. Carle died November 27, 1887, of paralysis, leaving his wife to mourn his loss.
Mrs. Carle is of Scotch descent, Her great-great-grandparents, on her father's side, migrated from Scotland in 1602. There were two brothers who came, Daniel and Artemus, and they settled in Massachusetts, where their descendants resided until 1810. At that time they migrated to Walworth, Wayne County, N. Y. From early childhood George Mathewson exhibited remarkable talent, especially in scientific and mechanical pursuits. On his deathbed he said the only regret he felt was that there was no one to step in and carry on his scientific work, the foundation for which he had laid. His son, Daniel, seemed the best fitted to be his father's successor. When a mere boy he began to teach and assist his father in surveying. He was diligent and improved every spare moment by study. While still quite young he was considered one of the best mathematicians in the state. At the age of twenty-four he married Mrs. Celestia Baker, who remained his faithful helpmate until death parted them. He passed away in 1886 and she in 1890.
Twelve children were born to the union of Daniel and Celestia Mathewson. The eldest, Alphonso, is a business man of Hamlet, Chautauqua County, N. Y.; George, the second son, is a mechanical artist and preacher at College Place, Wash.; Lillies C., the oldest daughter, is a widow and resides on a farm near Park City, Mont.; Lucy J., Mrs. J. H. Carle, was the second daughter; Artemisia, the third daughter, married G. B. Poor, of Boulder; Mary A., the fourth daughter, is married and lives in Fredonia, Chautauqua County, N. Y.; A. J., the third son, is a mechanic and farmer near Boulder; Daniel, the fourth son, came to Colorado in 1864 and re-