PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.
landlawn and planted large orchards and smaller fruit, including grapes, strawberries and blackberries. He has prospered in his venture and has also done well in his real-estate dealings. He built up considerable property and then sold the same, and is still carrying on a brisk business in this direction. He is quartermaster of Nathaniel Lyon Post No. 5, G. A. R.
In Jefferson County, N. Y., Mr. Snyder married Mary J. Pierce, in 187 Mrs. Snyder is a native of that county and is a daughter of Charles Pierce, who was a farmer of the Empire state, and whose birthplace was in Vermont. He departed this life in 1898. The two children of our subject and wife are: Charles, manager of the Kilton Gold Reduction Company (see his sketch, published elsewhere), and Maude, who resides with her parents.
ILLIS ADAMS MAREAN. The Marean family was founded in America about 1650, when Dorman Marean, a native probably of Normandy, crossed the ocean in company with a number of persecuted pilgrims and settled near Boston, where he took up land and established his home. His descendants were founders of the town of Newton Centre, Mass., where some of them still live. Thomas Marean, great-grandfather of our subject, was a soldier in the Revolution and served with valor and fidelity until independence was won. One of his sons, Lewis, moved from Massachusetts to New York, and made settlement in the midst of the forest, taking up land that is now owned by one of his descendants.
Ransom, son of Lewis Marean, was born in Maine, Broome County, N. Y., April 17, 1817, and in boyhood learned the mechanic's trade, which he followed for a time. After he became of age he entered Madison University, where he studied for the ministry, and on completing his preparatory studies, began to preach the Gospel. He continued actively in the Baptist ministry until seventy years of age, and now resides in Rochester, N. Y. He was three times married; his second wife, Clarissa Jane Adams, the mother of our subject, was related to the old Adams family of Revolutionary fame. Of the first marriage two children were born, one of whom died in infancy. The other, Charles, enlisted in the Twenty-fourth New York Light Artillery and took part in its various engagements until he was captured by the Confederates. For six months he was imprisoned in Andersonville, after which he was sent to Florence, S. C., and there died for lack of nourishment. Of the members of his company who were captured by the enemy, only one came from the prison alive.
Of his father's second marriage, our subject is the only survivor of three children. His older brother, Lewis Pliny, studied medicine in Cincinnati and engaged afterward in practice in Wisconsin until his death. The third marriage of Ransom Marean was blessed by a daughter, Catherine, who lives with her father.
Born in the town of Woodhull, Steuben County, N. Y., May 24, 1853, the subject of this sketch was a child of four years when, in 1857, the family moved to Moscow, Livingston County, N. Y. After four years they again moved to South Livonia, in the same county, where the father was pastor of the Baptist church for twenty-seven years, and until his retirement from the ministry. At the age of fourteen our subject began to learn the trade of carpenter and joiner, working with his father, who not only preached, but also followed a trade in order to instruct his sons in the craft. At different times Willis was in the employ of various builders. His summers were given to the pursuit of his trade, while during the winter he attended school. At the age of seventeen he attended Middlebury (N. Y.) Academy for one term, and the following two winters he was a student in the State Normal School at Geneseo, Livingston County, N. Y., where he completed the mathematical course in the academic department. When twenty-one he started for himself as a builder at Geneseo, N. Y., and continued in that city for five years. Meantime he took private lessons in drawing, and the winter of 1874-75 he spent in New York City, where he studied under A. Colon, a French professor of architecture. While in Geneseo he designed and built many of the finest homes in the place, also the auditorium for the State Normal School, and the residence of the principal, William J. Milne, LL. D., now president of the State Normal College at Albany, N. Y.
Leaving Geneseo in 1878, Mr. Marean went to Rochester, where he was in the employ of Josiah Putnam, a. leading architect of that city. In the spring of 1880 he came to Denver and
PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.
entered the employ of Frank F. Edbrooke, with whom he remained until the 1st of January, 1881, as an employe, and was then offered and accepted a partnership with Mr. Edbrooke. Their connection continued until April 1, 1895, during which time Mr. Marean was in charge of the office work and the planning and designing of many of the principal buildings in Denver, among them the Brown Palace Hotel, Cooper and Ernest and Cranmer buildings, People's National Bank, Masonic Temple, McPhee building, Central Presbyterian Church (the finest in the city and one of the most beautiful in the west), West Denver high school and St. Mary's Academy of the sisters of Loretta.
December 19, 1891, Mr. Marean married Charlotte Therese Hemeranger, who was born in Prairie du Chien, Wis., of French ancestry on her father's side, and of Scotch and French descent through her mother. Her maternal grandfather Smith was a Scotchman and one of the principal members of the Hudson Bay Fur Company, being stationed at Hudson Bay, where his daughter was born. He was an intimate personal friend of Sir John Franklin and in the possession of Mrs. Marean, as a valued souvenir, is a jewel case given by that famous explorer to her mother.
Since April 1, 1895, Mr. Marean has had as a junior partner Albert J. Norton. In politics he was a Republican until 1893, since which time he has been independent. In religious views he is liberal. He is a charter member of Oriental Lodge No. 87, A. F. & A. M., of Denver, having been made a mason in Geneseo Lodge No. 214, where he served as senior deacon and senior warden. He is a member of Denver Chapter No. 2, R. A. M., Colorado Commandery No, 1, K. T., Colorado Consistory, having attained the thirty-second degree, and El Jebel Temple, N. M. S. He is also a member of the Denver chapter of the American Institute of Architects and the Artists' Club, is a lover of art in all its branches, and takes an active interest in art matters in the city of Denver.
RANK V. KIRK, who cast in his lot with the people of the great commonwealth of Colorado a score of years ago, is now acceptably filling the position of clerk of the district court of Boulder County, his home being in Boulder, the county-seat. He was appointed to this important place in January, 1895, by judge Jay H. Boughton, and has discharged the duties devolving upon him with promptness and fidelity, thus gaining the commendation of all concerned.
Mr. Kirk is a native of Maryland, his birth having occurred in the city of Baltimore, August 11, 1847. His father, Samuel Kirk, removed to Baltimore from his former home in Delaware in his childhood, and there, after growing to manhood, married Miss Sarah Suter, a native of Baltimore, and a daughter of Henry Suter, who was of English birth. He had located in Baltimore, however, prior to the war of 1812 and took part in that struggle with the mother country. During the battle of North Point he was captured by the British. He was engaged in manufacturing enterprises, and his death occurred at his home in Baltimore. For many years our subject's father was employed in Chesapeake Bank in some clerical capacity, and for a few years prior to his death, in 1885, he held the important position of president of the board of fire commissioners. His wife died in Baltimore early in the year 1853, and eight of their thirteen children grew to mature years, though but one son and four daughters are now living. One son, Samuel, Jr., enlisted in the First Maryland Confederate Volunteer Infantry and served throughout the Rebellion. He was a sergeant in his company and with the exception of slight wounds received at Richmond, he was never injured. Later he was a clerk in the office of the chief of police in Baltimore, and his death took place in that city.
The education of Frank V. Kirk was such as was afforded by the public schools of Baltimore. He was an apt student and made good progress in his school work, being particularly proficient in mathematics. When he was about sixteen years of age he took a position as a clerk in the private bank of John S. Gittings & Co. A few months afterward he entered a hardware store as clerk and later was given a place in the Franklin State Bank, of which Charles J. Baker was president. There he continued for thirteen years, working upward by merit and strict attention to duty, from messenger to paying teller.
Believing that the west afforded great opportunities for young men of push and ability, he resigned his position in August, 1878, and coming to Colorado, engaged in mining operations in the
PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.
Jamestown district for a short time. He then became connected with the Denver & Rio Grande Railroad, being baggage agent at Maniton and later Colorado Springs for a period altogether of five years. Then He was in the Denver postoffice department for about a year; after returning to Boulder he was made deputy postmaster under Valentine Butsch. During his term of office he was deputy for two years, and then for three years he was deputy of postmaster S. B. Border. He went out of office in May, 1894. He is an adherent of the People's party. Fraternally he is an Odd Fellow, a member of Silver Queen Lodge No. 112, and belongs to Encampment No. 13.
In the summer of 1880 Mr. Kirk married Miss Lillian Butsch, daughter of Valentine Butsch, formerly of Indianapolis. Mrs. Kirk received her higher education in St. Mary's Academy, in the town of St. Mary's, Ind. The only child of Mr. and Mrs. Kirk, Bertha, died at the age of six years. Mr. Kirk is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, is secretary of the board of trustees and is treasurer of the official board of the church.
EORGE W. TEAL is one of the most prominent mining and civil engineers of Boulder County, and is thoroughly posted in everything pertaining to mines and mining in this region. Nine years ago he was appointed city engineer of the town of Boulder and served for one year, after which he was elected to the position and has since been re-elected, at each successive election, the last time in April, 1898, his term to expire in 1900. During this period he has laid out several additions to the city, put in about seven miles of sewers, laid out streets and roads, etc., and in innumerable ways has enhanced the desirability and beauty of the place. In 1891 he was honored by being elected county surveyor of Boulder County and was his own successor in the office until January, 1898, when he resigned in favor of the newly elected surveyor, C. Stradley. The latter made Mr. Teal his deputy and as such he is now acting.
The parents of our subject were George and Hannah (Rich) Teal, natives of England. The father was born and reared in the city of Manchester, and in 1849 went to California, by way of Cape Horn, South America. On the Pacific Slope he was in charge of a mining company as superintendent for a few years, after which he returned to England and was there married. In 1868 he again crossed the Atlantic, and, Coming to Colorado, became superintendent of the Terrible, mine (owned by a London company), then the largest silver-producing mine in the state, located in Clear Creek County, near Georgetown. He was connected with this enterprise for eight years, after which he took a similar position in the Caribou mine, for an eastern concern. This mine, one of the most famous in the state, was the best producer in Boulder County for years. In 1882 he retired from active cares and made his home in Boulder. His death occurred in California, (San Diego) in the winter of 1891, when he was in his sixty-seventh year. He was one of the first men who operated mines in this state on a scientific basis, and erected mills for the treatment of ore. For several terms he was one of the county commissioners of Boulder County and was the chairman of the commissioners at the time of the building of the beautiful and imposing courthouse here, which will stand as a monument to his zeal and enterprise for decades to come. There was great opposition to the plan of constructing such an expensive building at the time, but with his far-seeing belief in the future of this section, he carried the ambitious enterprise through to successful completion. His family numbered twelve children, but only six lived to maturity and but four survive: Mrs. Pughe, of Boulder; Mrs. Foster, of Denver; Thomas, metallurgical engineer in Montana; and our subject.
The father of Mrs. Hannah Teal was a manufacturer of machinery in England. She departed this life while a resident of Georgetown.
George W. Teal was born in England in 1863, and was about eight years of age when he accompanied the family to the United States in 1872. He attended the Georgetown public schools until 1879, when he went to London, England, and there was in college for two years. Then, going to Cornwall, he studied mining scientifically, and practically in the mines at Lands End, working in every department, in order to thoroughly equip himself with needful knowledge for his future life-work. At the end of a year and a-half he became a student in the School of Mining, at Freiberg, Germany, and graduated from that celebrated institution in 1883, with the degree of Mining Engineer. Returning then to Colorado
PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.
he engaged in mining, surveying, et., with Mr. Foster, who was then superintendent of several large mines. For the past nine years Mr. Teal has been the consulting engineer of the Chicago & Colorado Mining Company, and has also been employed by numerous smaller concerns hereabout, though in the meantime he was in New Mexico for eighteen months. It was in 1885 that he went to that region as mining engineer for a Holland mining syndicate, on the Maxwell land grant. Since 1886 he has lived uninterruptedly in Boulder. Since 1887 he has been United States deputy mineral and land surveyor. He is a director, superintendent and manager of the Yukon Gold Mining Company of Colorado, which he assisted in organizing. It controls a group of eleven mines at Ward, all now in active operation.
Socially Mr. Teal belongs to Boulder Lodge No. 5, A. F. & A. M.; Boulder Chapter No. 7, R. A. M.; Mount Sinai Commandery No. 7, K. T., and El Jebel Temple, Mystic Shrine, and is also a Knight of Pytlnas. Religiously he is an Episcopalian. Mrs. Teal was formerly Miss Francisca Price, a native of Central City, and was married in Denver in 1894. Her father, John Price, an eastern man, came to this state in the early part of the '70s. The only child of Mr. and Mrs. Teal is their little daughter, Annabel.
AMES W. DEVELINE. Among the sterling pioneers and citizens of Boulder, no one is more thoroughly honored and respected than this gentleman. Coming here in the Centennial year, he identified himself with our people and has always done all within his power to promote the development and prosperity of the county seat. Though he is now in his eighty-seventh year, he is well preserved in mind and body and personally supervises his business affairs now, just as he did when in the prime of manhood. Since the formation of the Republican party he has been a stanch and true friend to its principles, and prior to that time was an ardent supporter of the Whig party.
Mr. Develine is, to all intents and purposes, a strictly self-made and self-educated man, as his advantages in youth were extremely meager, and he was early thrown upon his own resources. He was born May 1, 1812, in County Tyrone, Ireland, and in childhood came to the United States with his parents, the voyage being made in a sailing vessel, the "Lady of the Lake." Fourteen weeks front the date of their sailing from port the weary passengers were landed on the shores of the new world. This was in 1820, and subsequently Mr. Develine had no schooling, but was at once apprenticed to a molder in Montgomery County, Pa., to learn the trade. Later he found employment in various states, Virginia, Maryland, Delaware, New Jersey and Ohio, finally settling down in the last-mentioned state, about 1840. Having been in the employ of George W. Siser, of Cleveland, Ohio, for some six years, a part of the time as superintendent, he moved to Norwalk, Ohio, and became a partner in the firm of Perkins & Co. They manufactured sewing machines and general machinery, Mr. Develine being the superintendent of the foundry. Thence he went to Toledo, Ohio, at the expiration of a decade, and was similarly engaged in business, as a member of the firm of Smith & Develine, some six years.
In the fall of 1876 Mr. Develine came to Colorado, and embarked in business at the same location where his foundry may be seen to-day. He is the sole proprietor and his hand is yet steady enough to make intricate moulds. The shop is called the Boulder Foundry & Machine Shop and all kinds of general repair work is done here, as well as castings and molds of all kinds made for the trade. Mr. Develine has over ten thousand dollars worth of patterns, and the cupola has a capacity of three tons of metal. By industry and correct business methods, attention to the wishes of his patrons and a thorough knowledge of his trade he built up a business that has steadily increased in proportions, and is, in itself, a testimonial to his able qualifications.
Many decades ago Mr. Develine was admitted to the ranks of the Masonic brotherhood in Norwalk, Ohio, and rose to the Knight Templar degree before coming to the west. For some years he has been connected with Columbia Lodge No. 14, A. F. & A. M.; is past high priest of Boulder Chapter No. 7, R. A. M., and is a charter member of Mount Sinai Commandery No. 7, K. T., of Boulder. He was also a charter member of the commandery at Norwalk, Ohio. His wife is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, and he is one of the trustees of the same.
PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.
Mr. Develine married in 1839, at Baltimore, Md., Miss Elizabeth Van Zant. They have an only child, a daughter, Harriet, now Mrs. Robert Dillon, of Cleveland, Ohio.
HARLES S. CARRUTHERS has the reputation of being one of the best workmen in Denver. He came to this city in 1889 and secured employment at the carpenter's trade with Erastus F. Hallack, on Fifteenth and Wynkoop streets. On the 1st of March of the same year he became a contractor in the planing department of McPhee & McGinnity and remained in that capacity until early in 1897, when he was promoted to the position of general foreman of the same department.
A Canadian by birth and a Scotchman by descent, the subject of this sketch was born near Chatham, N. B., February 6, 1861. He is a son of George and Jane (Clayton) Carruthers, natives of Scotland, but from childhood residents of New Brunswick. The former has made agriculture his life work and is still living on the old home farm, where so much of his life has been passed. His wife, who is still living, is a daughter of William Clayton, a farmer and an early settler in the vicinity of Chatham. The family of George Carruthers consisted of ten children, of whom Charles S. was the youngest son and sixth child. He was reared on the old homestead and, being one of a large family whose parents were not rich, he was forced from an early age to earn his own livelihood. Hence his school advantages were few. However, in the winter, when it was impossible to work on the farm, he was permitted to attend school.
For some years Mr. Carruthers was employed a sawmill and later learned the planing-mill business. In 1889 he left Canada and came west to Denver, where he has since resided. He is a skilled workman and discharges faithfully the duties of the responsible position which he holds. Formerly he was connected with the Ancient Order of United Workmen, but he has not retained his connection with this organization. The only secret society with which he is now identified is the Woodmen of the World.
Before leaving New Brunswick Mr. Carruthers married Miss Mary A. Fleiger, who was born in Chatham, being the daughter of Archer Fleiger, proprietor of a sawmill there. They are the parents of one child, George Archer F.
UGENE A. AUSTIN, who for three terms in succession served acceptably to the citizens of Boulder as mayor, having been elected by the local Republicans, is now acting as a member of the city council, as alderman from the first ward. He previously served in this capacity for two terms. Without doubt, he is the youngest member of the Grand Army of the Republic in Colorado, not excepting drummer-boys of the Civil war, and the circumstances of his enlistment into the Union army are briefly as follows: One morning, January 22, 1864, he and a school-mate, Frank Nash, started for school as usual, but when the bell rang they went over to the recruiting office. Young Austin, then but fourteen and a-half years of age, but tall and weighing one hundred and thirty pounds, was accepted, and assigned to Company M, Fourth New York Heavy Artillery. He was mustered into the service in Rochester. The artillery served most of the time as infantry in the Army of the Potomac, from the battle of the Wilderness until the surrender of the rebel forces at Appomattox. He and his school-mate were comrades and messmates until the disastrous engagement of Ream Station on the Weldon Railroad, when his friend was wounded. Over two-thirds of the regiment to which Mr. Austin belonged was either captured or killed, and every one of their field officers met death or received wounds. Their regiment was on the extreme left of the Union army, which was attacked fiercely upon that wing. Their men fought desperately and with distinguished heroism, but the odds were against them. Nevertheless, their colors were saved by the daring color-bearer, who was obliged to tear them from the staff in order to preserve them, as they were all cut to pieces. After Lee's surrender Mr. Austin was assigned to guard duty in forts, etc., until October, 1865, when he was mustered out and honorably discharged. It was his privilege to participate in the grand review at Washington at the close of the war.
The parents of our subject were Clement W. and Elmira (O'Rallow) Austin. The father,
PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.
who now resides in Boulder, was born near Bristol, N. Y., and was a farmer in the vicinity of Rochester, Monroe County, N. Y., during his active years. He and his wife were both from good old New England families. She died in the Empire state. They were the parents of five children, four of whom survive. Mrs. Newcomb is a resident of Denver and Mrs. Stanley lives on the old homestead, while Alphonso is a farmer of Monroe County, N. Y.
Eugene A. Austin was born August 11, 1849, in Rochester, N. Y., and attended the public schools until his memorable enlistment in his country's service. Upon his return from southern battlefields he resumed his studies. In the spring of 1866 he came to Colorado with his father, and together they opened a coal-mine in Erie, the first in Weld County. It was owned by an uncle of our subject, and after it had been mined for about two years, it was sold to the Boulder Valley Railroad Company. In 1868 the young man went to Gilpin County, where for two years or more he was engaged in mining at Central City, Blackhawk and Georgetown. In 1870 he settled in Boulder, opened a meat-market on Pearl street and for several years dealt quite extensively in cattle and livestock as well. Then selling out, he turned his attention to the real-estate business and with his brother-in-law, Mr. Russell, bought a tract of land known as North Boulder (including Lover's Hill), some seventy acres, and has laid it out in town lots.
When the excavations were being made at Thirteenth street for filling in around the courthouse Mr. Austin noticed the peculiar feeling of the moist clay under foot, one morning after a rain, and curiously examining it, came to the conclusion that it was a superior quality of shale clay, used in the manufacture of flue pressed brick. After testing it in various ways and sending some of it to Chicago to experts for analysis, he and Mr. Russell organized the Boulder Pressed Brick Company and built their works, equipping the same with special machinery brought from Chicago. The Boyd press has a capacity of sixteen thousand brick per day. The clay is very fine, being smooth, and capable of being used in its natural state, with only the processes of pulverizing, screening, dry pressing and burning. The company has built up a large and remunerative trade, shipping to Denver and places in different parts of the state. Mr. Austin is the president and general manager of the company and Mr. Russell is the secretary and treasurer.
January 8, 1871, Mr. Austin married, in this city, Miss Jennie A. Gilbert, who was born in Ohio and who died here, leaving one child, Evan, now attending the University of Colorado. Mr. Austin was afterwards married in Michigan to Miss Sarah Phelps, daughter of Henry Phelps, an old settler of Flint, Mich. They have two children, Russell and Hazel. Their handsome home, No. 1343 Pine street, was built by Mr. Austin in 1875. He is past commander of Nathaniel Lyon Post No. 5, G. A. R., and served on the staff of General Carr, of the department of Colorado and Wyoming, as quartermaster, with the rank of colonel.
HAUNCEY STOKES. This sterling citizen of Boulder has made his home here since 1875 and has been actively interested in the upbuilding and prosperity of the town and county. He was one of the original stockholders in the Boulder Milling and Elevator Company and has been connected with various local industries and institutions. At one time he was a candidate for the position of alderman from the first ward and was elected without opposition. A man of honor and uprightness in all his dealings, he enjoys the respect and high regard of all who know him, and no one is more justly entitled to be represented in the annals of Boulder County.
The paternal grandfather of our subject was John Stokes, a native of Ireland. He settled in Connecticut at an early period, and thence removed to the vicinity of Auburn, Cayuga County, N. Y. He was a farmer by occupation and was a soldier in the war of 1812. The father of Chauncey Stokes was Augustus Stokes, whose birth occurred on the old homestead near Auburn. He was a carpenter and builder in central New York. His death took place when he was in his fifty-fifth year, and his wife, who survived him a long time, died at the age of seventy-eight. Her maiden name was Catherine Farrington, and Long Island was her birthplace. Her father, John Farrington, was a native of Germany, who, after coming to this country, worked at his trade of blacksmithing at Martha's Vineyard, Mass., and later removed to Long Island. Ten of the
PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.
twelve children of Augustus and Catherine (Farrington) Stokes grew to maturity, but only two of the number are now living, namely: Chauncey and Henry, the latter in central New York.
Chauncey Stokes was born February 12, 1824, near Auburn, N. Y., and spent his boyhood on his father's farm. His education was obtained in the district schools, which were in session during the winter season chiefly. In those days, when the majority of families made their own woolen cloth, wholly or in part, the lad worked for as little as six and a-fourth cents a day. When he was twelve he began serving an apprenticeship to the carpenter's trade with his father, and in 1820 he started out as an independent contractor and builder. In 1853 he went to Wisconsin, and for about six months lived in Madison, where he found plenty of employment. Later he settled in Walworth County, in the same state, and engaged in building at Elkhorn for several years. In 1864 he took up his residence in Evanston, Ill., and there erected Heck Hall, one of the Northwestern University buildings (the cost of which was about $13,000) and also a portion of the main building. Many other beautiful structures and homes for the people of the pretty little city were put up by Mr. Stokes during the few years of his stay there.
It was in 1871 that the subject of this review joined a colony of Chicagoans bound for Colorado. They reached Longmont in February, and after Mr. Stokes had located their lands he proceeded to build a house, the first one on the site of the now large and flourishing town. Later he built the bank and hotel and many of the houses of the colony. In the fall of 1872 he went to Denver and was very busily occupied there at his accustomed work for three years. He built for Judge Stiles the beautiful residence now owned by Willard Teller, and many other notable houses and business blocks. Corning to Boulder in 1875, he engaged in the lumber business at Eighteenth and Pearl streets; later removing to Pearl, between Fourteenth and Fifteenth. He dealt extensively in lumber and building material, and also gave much of his time to architecture. He drew up plans for the president's house at the University of Colorado and those of many other fine homes and edifices in the town and vicinity. He was employed to superintend the erection of the courthouse here, but resigned ere the work was completed, because the authorities were not disposed to give him the support he deemed necessary. Six years ago he sold out the lumber business, and has since devoted himself to drawing up plans for buildings, general architectural work, etc. In 1896 he planted five acres in fruit trees, and is watching the outcome with great interest. The orchard is situated at Manzanola, Colo., on the Arkansas River. Mr. Stokes was president of the board of trustees of the Methodist Episcopal Church and superintended the building of the new house of worship. He also supervised the erection of the Presbyterian Church, the Masonic Temple and the high school building. He is, and has been for some years, connected with the Boulder Building & Loan Association. In 1848 he identified himself with the Sons of Temperance, and from the time that his influence counted for anything, it has been used against the saloon. He is now affiliated with the Prohibition party. A member of the Masonic order, he belongs to Boulder Lodge No. 45, A. F. & A. M. For many years he has been a devoted worker in the Methodist Episcopal Church. At present he is a trustee, and has been superintendent of the Sunday school and occupied other official positions.
The comfortable, and attractive home of Mr. Stokes is located on Pine street, near Sixteenth, and besides this he owns several other residences here. He was married in 1848 in Wisconsin to Lucy, daughter of John P. Wylie, a farmer. She was born in Oneida County, N. Y., and removed to Wisconsin with her parents in 1844. The two children of Mr. and Mrs. Stokes are S. Stanley, who for three or four years was the assistant clerk of the Colorado legislature and is now a Denver editor, and Mary J., Mrs. J. H. Parsons, of Boulder.
HOMAS M. HYDER is comparatively a newcomer in Boulder, but has already gained a foothold among the established contractors and builders by the excellence of the work he has done and his manifest knowledge and experience in his chosen field of enterprise. He is a wide-awake western young man, full of energy and push, and is certain to carve out for himself an enviable position in the business world.
The father of Thomas Hyder, Rev. J. A. Hy-
PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.
der, is a native of Knoxville, Penn, and, having been ordained in the ministry of the Methodist Episcopal Church South, he was actively engaged in preaching in Missouri up to the Civil war. He then enlisted in the division of the army commanded by General Price, and served with the rank of captain. He was wounded and captured in the battle where General Lyon met his death, and was afterward paroled and banished from the state. He then located in Council Grove, Morris County, Kan., and turned his attention to agricultural pursuits until the close of the war. In the fall of 1865 he returned to Missouri, and settling in Plattsburg, resumed his ministerial labors. In 1890 he went to Abilene, Taylor County, Tex., where he may be found today, earnestly occupied in preaching the Gospel. His wife, whose maiden name was Elizabeth Malotte, is of French extraction. Her father, Thomas Malotte, was one of the pioneers of Platte County, Mo.; and erected the first house put up in that section. In 1868 he removed to Clay County, where he lived until claimed by death, in 1884. He was a local preacher of the Primitive Baptist denomination, and was loved and respected by all who knew him. Rev. J. A. Hyder and wife have had eight children, all of whom are still living.
Thomas Hyder, of this sketch, was born at the close of the Civil war, in Council Grove, Kan., August 17, 1865. He is the third child in the parental family, and, with his brother, J. B., is the only representative of the same in Colorado. He was reared to manhood in Plattsburg, Mo., and received an excellent education. His studies were finished at Plattsburg College, where he graduated in 1882. He then commenced serving an apprenticeship to the carpenter's trade at Platte City, and at the end of two years went to Kansas City, where he obtained a position as foreman for Hays Brothers, contractors and builders. He spent three years in the employ of that firm, and then embarked in independent business as a contractor. Two years later he removed to West Plains, Mo., and was there successfully occupied in his usual calling until the years that he concluded to try his fortune in Colorado. Less than two years ago he came to Boulder, where he has been busily engaged in carrying out the contracts for residences, stores, etc., that have come to his share. Thus, specimens of his skill and thorough workmanship are plentiful here now, and are witnesses to his reliability and integrity in carrying out his contracts to the letter. While living in West Plains he was affiliated with the Odd Fellows' society and is past grand in that state. He also belonged to the encampment of the same place; is a past officer in the Ancient Order of United Workmen and also of the Modern Woodmen of America. Politically he is a Democrat.
An important event in the career of Mr. Hyder occurred while he was a citizen of West Plains, Mo., as there it was that Miss N. L. Stubblefield became his wife, October 1, 1985. She is a native of Howell County, Mo., and is a lady of good education and social attainments. She holds membership with the Methodist Episcopal Church South. The three children of Mr. and Mrs. Hyder are: Elva L., Errma L. and Harold A.
HARLES J. DUNN. The large amount of building done in Denver during the past decade has made contracting and building a very important occupation, and among the men who have followed it with success a prominent position belongs to Charles J. Dunn. A resident of Denver since 1887, the following year he began as a general carpenter and builder, and since then has had many contracts for private and public buildings. In addition to this work, he is also vice-president of the Joseph P. Dunn Leather Company, wholesale and retail dealers in leather and findings, and manufacturers of boot and shoe uppers; the office and factory are at No. 1748 Lawrence street, and Mr. Dunn's carpenter shop and office are at No. 1827 Arapahoe street.
Born in New York City, Mr. Dunn is a son of Michael Dunn, who removed from New York to St. Louis and was there engaged in the express business for some years, but finally, about 1887, removed to Denver, his present place of residence. Of his five children all but one are living in Denver. Charles J., who was next to the eldest of the children, was educated in the public schools of St. Louis, and there, at the age of seventeen, began a four years' apprenticeship to the carpenter's trade. When the family came to Denver he accompanied them and since 1888 has engaged in contracting and building here.
In this city Mr. Dunn married Miss Kate Smith, who was born in Leavenworth, Kan.