PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.
daughters, namely: Carrie, who is unmarried; Ada, wife of Victor Banks, an electrician of Tremont, Colo.; and Winnie, who married Harry W. Hamilton and resides at Denver.
In 1880 Mr. Carter bought an eighty-acre tract in Weld County, but after three years he sold the place. September 27, 1895, he married Mrs. A. B. Augusta Miller, widow of Charles Miller, who came to this state when it was a territorial wilderness and took the first steps toward the development of Weld County. During his early residence here Indians were numerous and hostile. Mrs. Carter, too, was a pioneer of this locality, having crossed the plains with her parents in an early day. She owns a farm of two hundred and forty acres of good land, most of which is rented.
Fraternally Mr. Carter is a member of the Order of St. George. Politically he votes the Republican ticket. He is identified with the Presbyterian Church and assisted in building the house of worship at La Salle. His aunt, Mrs. John Stapleton, was a niece of George Washington and was a member of a very wealthy English family, whose large estates are still in chancery, Mr. Carter being one of the heirs.
AVID HERSHMAN, who resides one-half mile south of Loveland, Larimer County, was born in Wayne County, Ohio, September 24, 1839. He is a son of Philip Hershman, a native of Pennsylvania, who removed to Ohio in boyhood days and remained there until 1850. The next fifteen years he resided in Michigan. In 1865 he went to Illinois, but after a year migrated to Kansas, where he followed the wheel-wright's trade and farm pursuits. He became a land owner and a successful man. Politically he was a Democrat until the war, after which he adhered to Republican principles. At different times he was chosen to fill important positions, in all of which he served acceptably. His death occurred when he was seventy-two years of age.
By the marriage of Philip Hershman to Sarah Henney, a native of Ohio, seven children were born, six of whom are living, namely: John; David; Sarah wife of Conrad Weaver; Amanda, who married J. H. Hines; Emma, wife of Elijah Foster; and Mrs. Mary Mack. The mother of these children died at the age of seventy-six. our subject spent his early life principally in Lansing, Mich., where he was educated in the public schools and in a private school taught by Professor Olds. At the age of twenty-one he located on a farm near Lansing, and for three or four years engaged in general agricultural pursuits. In 1860 he went to Illinois, where he operated a rented farm for three years in Henry County.
At the close of the war, in 1865, Mr. Hershman came west to see the country. Arriving in Colorado on a tour of inspection, he was pleased with the prospects and bought his present farm, for which he paid $2,000. He has since added to the original tract until he now owns over four hundred acres of fine farm land. During the early days of his residence here, he frequently saw Indians roaming in the vicinity, but they evinced no hostility. In 1866 he opened a general store, but after carrying on a mercantile business for a time it interfered to such an extent with his farm work that he sold out. He combines farming with stock-raising and sheep-feeding, and raises a fine grade of draft horses and Jersey cows. At the time he settled here, the Big Thompson Manufacturing and Irrigating Company's ditch was partly built, and he took an active part in its completion, and for several years served as president of the company. He also took an active part in the construction of the Home Supply ditch and was one of the company's stockholders. At this writing he is a stockholder in the Farmers' Ditch Company, in the construction of whose ditch he assisted. He is now aiding in the construction of the Horse Shoe Park reservoir, of which company he is treasurer and a trustee.
Politically a Republican, Mr. Hershman was coroner for some time during the early years- of his residence in Larimer County. He was one of the organizers of school district No. 2, and for some time served as president of its board of trustees. In the United Brethren Church, of which he is a member, he has officiated as trustee and steward. In 1869 he married Miss Lydia Crytes, a daughter of Peter Crytes, of Michigan. She died in 1881, leaving five children, viz.: Ella, now the wife of George Sniveley; Alta, who married Theodore Bryan; Frank, who married Catherine France, and resides on a farm near his father's place; Emma, residing at home; and Hattie, wife of Edward Sheffield. The second marriage of our subject united him with Miss May, daughter
PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.
of William Gruner, of Missouri. Five children bless their union, namely: Ada, who is the wife of Edward Simington; Clara, Mamie, Alice and Grace.
ILLIAM H. MALONEY owns a large ranch situated in Arapahoe County, along Run Creek, one mile south of Watkins Station, where he settled in 1868. He has engaged in raising horses and cattle and also raises hay and corn for feed. His ranch contains eleven hundred and twenty acres, and is among the most valuable places in the county. In the early days of his residence here life on the frontier was fraught with many dangers and hardships. The Sioux, Cheyennes, Commanches and Arapahoes, who had previously been friendly, became troublesome, and he had many skirmishes with them. While he was on a hunting trip at Chalk Bluffs, Wyo., in 1867, his horse was shot from under him by an arrow from a Sioux Indian. He was one of a party of eleven hunters who were charged, on Little Crow Creek, by one hundred Indians, and one of the Indians lost his life in the skirmish. Two weeks previous to this assault, the same Indians stole the white men's horses at night, one Indian securing Mr. Maloney's horse by cutting the lariat with which the animal was picketed. The hunters pursued the thieves, but after twelve miles, the Indians evidently having muffled the horses' feet, they escaped. Two weeks later the same party of Indians attacked the white men. The latter were armed with double-barreled hunting rifles, with telescope sights, made by C. Gove, of Denver. To their fine guns the men owed their escape. The hunting trips, though perilous, were very successful; in fact, they gave Mr. Maloney his start on the ranch.
Both the paternal grandfather and the maternal grandfather of our subject were soldiers in the Indian and Revolutionary wars. The latter, John Conner, was a native of Pennsylvania. Our subject was born in Allegheny County, Pa., March 4, 1835, a son of John and Elizabeth (Conner) Maloney. His father, who was born in Pennsylvania, followed the occupation of a blacksmith in early life. Removing to Stark County, Ohio, he settled near Canton, where he spent the remainder of his life. In religion he was identified with the Methodist Episcopal Church. Of his children we note the following: John, a painter, who saw service both in the Mexican and Civil wars; David, a tailor, and James, a blacksmith and carriage maker, are deceased; Benjamin, who enlisted in the Civil war, was captured, taken to Andersonville and there he died. Mary, Mrs. N. Huff, of Canton, Ohio, is deceased; Emily is the wife of Frank Peedcod, of Beatrice, Neb.; Sarah Ellen, the youngest of the family, is a widow and resides in Chicago.
When a boy our subject was taken to Ohio, where he was educated in the common schools. At twenty years of age he started out for himself. In 1859 he came to Colorado, making the trip from Des Moines, Iowa, to Blackhawk, with a wagon train. He prospected for gold in Blackhawk, South Clear Creek, Central City, Idaho Springs, Fall River and Georgetown on North Clear Creek. Later he went to Virginia City, Mont., where he worked at placer mining. At times he took out $500 in a single day. In 1868 he settled on the ranch he now owns.
Politically Mr. Maloney is a Republican and has taken an active part in local political affairs. For many years he has served as committeeman from his district, has also been delegate to county conventions, and for a long time held office as road commissioner. He is president of the school board of district No. 30. In the Association of Colorado Pioneers he is an active member. He is a member of the Stock Growers' Protective Association of Colorado. Personally he is a genial man, whose courteous manners and kind heart have won the friendship of his large circle of acquaintances. His judicious management has secured for him a competency to reward him for a life of unremitting toil.
REDERICK H. BADGER is an active, energetic business man of Weld County, within whose boundaries he has dwelt over a score of years. Himself a farmer, he has given much careful thought to the question of the best method of disposing of farm produce, and has been connected with two or more companies having that object in view, and dispensing with middlemen as much as possible, the farmer dealing almost direct with the purchaser. Mr. Badger was one of the organizers of the Farmers' Mercantile Company of Greeley, which concern
PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.
ships large quantities of farm produce. He was also a partner in the firm of C. Adams & Co., of Timnath, Colo., shippers of produce.
F. H. Badger is the eldest in a family comprising five children. He was born in Portsmouth, N. H., October 1, 1855, and is consequently in the prime of manhood. His parents, Daniel D. and Nancy (Campbell) Badger, were natives of Maryland, but for years lived in Portsmouth, where the father followed his trade of ship-carpenter. He was a man much respected in the city and was a member of the council for several years. With the exception of our subject, the family are all in the east. William and Annie, Mrs. James Schurman, are residents of Portsmouth. Frank is a citizen of Boston and Charles and Wesley live near Portsmouth, the former on a farm and the latter in the little town of Newington.
The educational advantages of F. H. Badger in his youth were excellent for the period, and terminated with a course in the Portsmouth high school. He learned ship building with his father and when nineteen years of age went aboard the "William H. Marcy" (named in honor of his father's partner, Captain Marcy) as a ship carpenter. The vessel was bound for San Francisco, around Cape Horn, thence to Liverpool and back to New York. This long voyage around the world took one year and five days, and was one of the most interesting periods of the young man's life, as he saw many strange lands and people, and experienced unusual vicissitudes.
The spring after his return from the high seas Mr. Badger came to Colorado, this being in 1877. In partnership with his brother-in-law he became interested in the management of a ranch near Greeley. In 1879 he purchased his present farm of one hundred and sixty acres, it being located on section 21, township 6, range 66. For the past three years he has raised sheep in large numbers and prior to that gave his chief attention to cattle-raising. For several years he was a director of the New Cache la Poudre Irrigating Company and for four years was superintendent of the same. When the Cache La Poudre Reservoir Company was organized he was one of the prime movers in the enterprise. Since then he has held some official position in the company, and for two years has been its president. His ranch is all under cultivation and is one of the most valuable places in the county. His residence was built by him in 1898, and is commodious and pleasant. Politically Mr. Badger is allied with the silver Democrats. He was a charter member of the Cache la Poudre Grange and is thoroughly identified with the welfare of his brother-farmers.
September 18, 1878, the marriage of Mr. Badger and Miss Fannie W. Taylor was solemnized in Denver, Colo. Mrs. Badger was born in Connecticut and is a daughter of Charles A. and Fannie (Wellcome) Taylor, natives of Massachusetts and New Hampshire respectively. The father was a business man of Hartford, Conn., for years. The marriage of Mr. and Mrs. Badger has been blessed with one son, Herbert., a promising young man.
EONARD ALKIRE, deceased, was born in Menard County, Ill., October 17, 1830, the son of Leonard and Catherine (Davis) Alkire, natives of Ohio and Virginia respectively. His grandfather, John Alkire, was born in Pennsylvania, removed thence to Ohio, later settled in Menard County, Ill., and there remained until death. The father, who settled in Illinois while it was still a territory, engaged in stock-raising and farming in Menard County, where he died at ninety-one years. His wife, who was of Scotch descent, died in Illinois. He was of German extraction. They were the parents of five daughters and four sons who attained maturity: Mrs. Elizabeth Engle, of Menard County, Ill.; Mrs. Nancy Funk, of Chicago; Mrs. Susan Hughes, of Champaign County, Ill.; Mrs. Amanda Olds, who died in California; Milan, who died in Petersburg, Ill., in 1897; Mrs. Lydia Turner, of Petersburg; David, living at Maryville, Mo.; Leonard; and John D.; the latter engaged with our subject in merchandising and farming in Menard County, Ill., but came to Colorado in 1873 and for two years engaged in ranching in Park County, but then sold out and went back to Illinois, returning to Denver in 1879.
On the home farm our subject passed his boyhood days. In early manhood he engaged in dealing in cattle, and later had a dry-goods store in Sweetwater with his brother John. In April, 1873, he came to Colorado and for four years farmed in the mountains of Park County, after which he returned to Denver in order that his
PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.
children might have school advantages. In this city he was identified with the firm of L. Alkire & Co., who had a large coffee business and also owned coffee mills where coffee was roasted. He started in this business in 1877, and during the period of his connection with the enterprise, it was the leading one of its kind in the city. About 1882 he sold out to his partner, B. T. Sanderson, whose sons, Walter S. and George S., continue the business.
While in Denver Mr. Alkire built two blocks on Fifteenth and California streets, a house on South Tremont street and was engaged in the construction of a residence on Broadway and First avenue, when he was suddenly stricken with apoplexy Sunday night, May 18, 1884, and died shortly afterward. he had been out riding on the afternoon of that day and had every appearance of being in excellent health, so that the blow was wholly unexpected. He was a leader in the Christadelphian faith, to which his widow also adheres. Politically he was a Democrat.
November 6, 1851, in Petersburg, Ill., Mr. Alkire married Miss Mary A. Bracken, who was born near Sweetwater, III., March 18, 1833. Her father, Walter Bracken, was born in Bath County, Ky., and after his marriage to Elizabeth Wright, a native of Ohio and the daughter of Rev. William Wright, a Baptist minister, removed to Illinois, where he engaged in farming until his death at seventy-three years. He was of Virginian and, remotely, of Welsh descent. His wife died in Illinois at the age of seventy-one. They had five children: George Washington, a farmer in Tiff City, Mo.; Noble Walter, who is in Burlington, Nodaway County, Mo.; William Jefferson, who died at seventeen years; Mary A.; and Louisa Jane, wife of James Stone, who died near Greenview, Ill., November 11, 1895. Mrs. Alkire was reared in Illinois and attended the pioneer schools, but much of her time as a girl was devoted to spinning, weaving and sewing. She is the mother of eight children: Edwin Ruthven and William Albert, who died at the ages of six and four years, within two weeks of each other; Minnie May, Mrs. N. Grimsley, who lives on a large farm in Wayne County, Neb.; Annie Melissa, Mrs. P. C. Horn, whose husband is a cattleman at McCoy, Colo.; Walter Paul, who died at two-years; John Leonard, who looks after his father's estate; Ida May, wife of E. W. Lehman, a wholesale paper dealer in Denver; and Charles Wilbur, who died of diphtheria at the age of nine years. Of the above, John L. married Edith V. Miller, September 1, 1886. She is a daughter of William H. and Anna (Sewart) Miller, and is the mother of Leonard Henry Alkire, born January 11, 1888.
AMES CONLIN, a progressive farmer residing on section 17, northwest corner of township 4, range 65, Weld County, was born in County Monaghan, Ireland, in 1835, a son of Patrick and Ann (Armstrong) Conlin. In 1847 he accompanied his parents to the United States and settled with them on the Mason and Dixon line, in Cecil County, Md., near what is now known as the Brick Meeting House District. Upon the farm there improved the father died in 1888. He was a man of prominence in his neighborhood and was a pioneer fruit-grower, raising peaches and apples successfully. His wife passed away in 1882, when eighty-eight years of age. They were the parents of four children, namely: James; John, a sheep-raiser residing near Sacramento, Cal.; William, who lives in Weld County; and Patrick, who died in Maryland.
In 1869 our subject joined the Union colony at Omaha, Neb., and crossed the plains to Colorado, landing in the Poudre Valley and assisting in the formation of the Greeley colony. After remaining for a year with the colony, he bought four hundred head of cattle, and embarked in the stock business, turning the cattle out on the range. For fifteen years he followed the business with marked success. In 1882 he took the cattle (six hundred head) up to the Black Hills and sold them in the mining district. On his return to Weld County he bought a quarter-section of railroad land, comprising his present ranch. It was then a barren desert, and the improvements show his industry and constant effort. In 1879 he was one of the organizers and constructors of the Bucker Ditch Company, of which for several years he served as secretary and treasurer and a trustee. From this ditch is derived the water supply for his farm. Since 1882 he has devoted his time principally to farming, though he also has some stock; and in addition carries on a local loan business among his neighbors.
Politically Mr. Conlin is a silver Republican,