PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.
the latter still living on the old home place where Mrs. Crawford was born, Point Isabel, Ohio. The two children of Mrs. Crawford's first marriage are Montrovel H. and Katie, Mrs. C. L. Flower, of Greeley, Colo.
OHN HAHN, county commissioner, and one of the largest land owners of Larimer County, was born in Germany in 1840, and at the age of three years was brought to America by his parents, Nicholas and Caroline Hahn, who settled in Rock Island, Ill. Very shortly after they arrived in their new home his father died, and afterward his mother became the wife of Mr. Schuck, with whom she removed to the Rock River bottom and settled upon a farm.
The education of our subject was begun in public schools, but has been principally self-acquired. At nineteen years of age, in 1860, Mr. Hahn was one of a party of about fifty persons, who, on the 8th day of March, started from Whiteside County, Ill., in wagons drawn by horses and mules for Denver, Colo. He drove mules to his wagon, which was well provisioned. Three companions rode with him, whom he charged $50 each for board and conveyance during the trip. They came by way of Davenport, Iowa, Nebraska City and the South Platte River. On arriving in Denver our subject had something in hand above his expenses. Accompanied by William A. Bean, he struck out for California Gulch, prospecting for gold, but shortly returned unsuccessful, and came to Larimer County, where, in equal partnership, they engaged in land purchase and stockraising. After a time they separated, but Mr. Bean is still a resident of Larimer County.
For twenty-five years Mr. Hahn continued to reside on his original farm, where he engaged in stock-raising, being one of the largest stock dealers in the entire territory. The ranch is still in his possession, but has not been his home for thirteen years. In 1885 he purchased a ranch about one mile east of Loveland, and there he engaged in the stock business for thirteen years. Through business judgment and energy he has accumulated a large tract of land, aggregating twelve hundred and forty acres. The land is well irrigated and is suitable both for stock-raising and general farm purposes. In 1897 he erected an elegant brick residence in Loveland, at the corner of West and Third streets. Justly considered the best house in town, it is fitted out with all modern conveniences and richly and tastefully furnished under the supervision of his wife and daughters. The grounds occupy half a block, including garden, stabling, etc.
During the early days of his residence in Colorado, Mr. Hahn endured all the hardships incident to frontier life. He came to the territory intending to dig for gold, and for a few months, in the Leadville district, he did make an effort to secure some of the longed-for ore, but he soon saw that it was useless for him to waste time in a futile effort. Accordingly he turned his attention to ranching. The land that he purchased was utilized mostly in raising hay, of which he cut about two hundred tons (all with a scythe) in a season. After the hay was cut he hauled it to Central City and Blackhawk, a distance of seventy-five miles, a team of oxen furnishing the motive power. During those early days Indians were numerous and oftentimes troublesome. In 1867 a report came that the savages were on the war path and were coming toward the settlements of the whites. At once the settlers fortified themselves and prepared for an attack, but the Indians, after stealing as many horses as they could find, withdrew to their remote mountain fastnesses.
As an advocate of Republican principles, Mr. Hahn has long been active in local politics. For a number of years he served as chairman of the delegation from Loveland, and presided over the county conventions of the Republicans, promoting, by his good judgment and enterprise, the success of the old party. In 1897 he was elected a member of the board of county commissioners, to serve for three years. For a number of years he took an active part in educational work as a member of the school board. On the organization of the Bank of Loveland he became a charter stockholder, and has since served as a director of the institution. During the early days he was a prominent member of the grange, in which he held office as a trustee for many years. Fraternally he is identified with the Loveland lodge of Masons. In 1876 he was united in marriage with Miss Ellen A. Kempster, of Illinois, and three children were born of their union. Mabel
PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.
J., Jessie and Edison K., who died at the age of twelve years. Mrs. Hahn and her daughters are connected with the Presbyterian Church, to which, though not a member, Mr. Hahn has been a regular and generous contributor.
OHN HENRY SARGISSON was born in Hogsthorpe, near Alford, Lincolnshire, England, in the same house in which eight or ten of his ancestors were born. He first saw the light of day December 29, 1843, and was a son of Henry, and a grandson of John Sargisson, who fought in the English army in the war of 1812, and against Napoleon. He was a hushandman and died at the age of eighty-six or seven. Henry Sargisson was also a farmer of Afford, until his retirement, and is now in his eighty-sixth year. He married Susan Starmer, a daughter of John Starmer, of the same vicinity, and of a prominent and aristocratic family, their dead being buried in the chancel of the church. The mother died when but little past fifty, leaving six children, all of whom are living, namely: John Henry, our subject; Charles, who lives in New Zealand; Alfred, a merchant of Alford; William, a farmer, and Mary, both at the old home; and Annie, Mrs. Nicholson, of Wales.
Mr. Sargisson is among the successful cattlemen of Livermore, and located in this state in 1871. His boyhood was spent in Hogsthorpe, and his education was received at Grantham Academy, from which he graduated. He was apprenticed to a dry-goods merchant in Boston, Lincolnshire, for five years, and then went to Manchester, the great manufacturing city, where he secured a position as salesman in a large wholesale house that employed four or five thousand men. After remaining there three or four years he decided to come to America, which he did in 1869, coming to Chicago and clerking for the large mercantile house of John B. Shay, where he was buyer in the linen department. In the spring of 1871 he concluded to try his fortunes in the west, and came to LaPorte, Colo., and the following year to the Livermore district, about four or five miles southeast of his present ranch. Here he became interested in the cattle business, which he conducted until 1881, when he took his stock to Wyoming, where he left them, as he did not like the country. He returned to this state, locating on his present ranch. He homesteaded one hundred and sixty acres, and added to it, until he now has two hundred and forty acres. He is still engaged in raising cattle, his farm being stocked with full graded Shorthorn, Polled Angus and Herefords. His farm and everything pertaining to it show the care and attention that are bestowed on it, everything being in the best possible shape.
The first marriage of Mr. Sargisson was in this county, to Miss Martha Sloan, whose father, William Sloan, moved here from Leavenworth, Kan., in 1880. At her death she left one daughter, Minnie. In 1891 he was married to Mrs. Mary Sigourney Ross Luckett, who was born in Owenton, Owen County, Ky. She is a lady of education and refinement, and traces her ancestry back to George Ross, a signer of the Declaration of Independence. His son, William Coleman Ross, her great-grandfather, was a large planter in the state of Virginia, where he was born. Her grandfather, Andrew Ross, was born at Fairfax, Va., and moved to Kentucky, where he was a planter and merchant, He was a nephew of Governor DeShay, of Kentucky. He married Sallie Craig, whose father, Rev. Joseph Craig, was a minister of the Baptist Church, and came to Kentucky from Culpeper, Va. Mrs. Sargisson's father, Hon. Thomas Craig Ross, who was born in Warsaw, Gallatin County, Ky., was a graduate of Yale, and was a prominent business man, being a miller, merchant, manufacturer and planter. He was one of the organizers of the town of Sparta, and was in the legislature for three terms. He went to Canon City, Colo., and engaged in mining four years, and then to Eldorado Springs, Mo., where he died in 1885. Her mother, Jane Briscoe, was born in Georgetown, Scott County, Ky., and was a daughter of Lindsey Briscoe, of Frederick City, Md. Lindsey Briscoe fought in the war of 1812, when sixteen years old; his father, Ralph Briscoe, a Maryland planter, and a soldier of the Revolutionary war, was also in this war. Her grandfather moved to Georgetown, Ky., where he married Eliza Duval, whose father, Mareen Duval, was a Baptist minister, formerly of Virginia. Her great-great-grandfather, Mareen Tramwell Duval, was a French-Huguenot refugee, and one of the early settlers in Frederick City, Md. The Briscoes are of English descent. Her mother is at present in
PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.
Wister, Indian Territory, having married again, her husband, Mr. Thomasson, being postmaster of that place. There were nine children in the family, four of whom are living. Alexander Campbell, who was educated at Bethany College, under Rev. Alexander Campbell, was lieutenant of the Fourth Kentucky Cavalry, and was killed in Hobson's raid at Mount Sterling, in June, 1864; William Andre was a private in the same company with his brother, and now lives at Kenton, Ohio, where he is superintendent of the gas and electric light works; Thomas B. is a farmer of Wallula, Wash.; Mattie, now Mrs. Duncan, lives in Oklahoma; and Mary Sigourney is now Mrs. Sargisson. Her childhood was spent in Kentucky, and she was educated in the Daughters' College at Harrodsburg, that state. She married Capt. J. N. Luckett, of New Castle, Ky., captain of Company H, Ninth Kentucky Cavalry, in the Federal army. Later he engaged in the hotel business in Covington, Ky., and then went to Fort Worth, Tex., later to Fort Smith, Ark., and back to Kentucky, to Louisville. While in Fort Smith he was engaged in farming and handled race horses; he continued farming in Kentucky, subsequently moved to Arkansas, and he died in Huntington, Ark. After his death Mrs. Luckett came to Colorado Springs, in 1891, and there married Mr. Sargisson. She had one child, Bessie Luckett, who graduated from the Daughters' College, and is now married to Lee Haskins, of Fort Scott, Kan. She has long been a member of the Christian Church, and is an honorary member of the Livermore Literary Club. Mr. Sargisson is a member of the Masonic lodge, and in politics both he and his wife are stanch Democrats. In the campaign of 1896 Mrs. Sargisson was strongly in favor of Palmer and Buckner, the sound money Democrats, while Mr. Sargisson voted for Bryan.
OHN McNEY, of Livermore, Larimer County, has lived a life of excitement and adventure that has been equalled by few men. For many years he engaged in hauling freight for the government to western posts, during which time he took part in many encounters with the Indians, and it was his privilege at one time to save a mother and three children from becoming their victims. He was born in Sheffield, Yorkshire, England, and is the son of John and Isabelle (Muir) McNey, and a grandson of David McNey, who died in Scotland, where he had been engaged in agriculture. His father was born in Kirkcudbrightshire, Scotland, but moved to Sheffield, England, where he was a dry-goods merchant for a time, but finally returned to his old home and took up the occupation of a farmer and stockman, continuing in this business until his death, which occurred in his forty-seventh year. He married Miss Isabelle Muir, who was born at the same place, and whose father, James Muir, was a farmer. She died when sixty-five years old. Of her thirteen children four are now in America. Those living are: James, in New Zealand; Mary, in Ontario, Canada; William, who lives in the same place; Margaret, in New York City; Jessie Dudley, in England; and John, our subject.
John McNey was educated in the national schools of Scotland, and when about sixteen years of age went to Wallsall, England, where he was apprenticed in the dry-goods business for two or three years. About 1856, during the Crimean war, he came to America in a sailing vessel, the "Benjamin Adams." He located in South Carolina and accepted a clerkship, later returned to New York and secured a position in the upholstery department of the dry-goods store of A. T. Stewart. Afterwards he clerked in James Gray Company's lace house. During the war he volunteered in the Seventy-ninth Regiment, but they were disbanded, owing to some disagreement. He went to Orange County, N. Y., and then to New York City, where he occupied his old place nearly all through the war. For some time he worked in a grocery store in Galesburg, Ill., and then went to Fort Leavenworth, Kan. In 1867 he joined a government train, engaging to drive a six-mule team through to its destination.
This was the time of Custer's first expedition, and they had a fight with the Indians at Stormy Hollow, on the Smoky Hill route, in which three men were killed, and the seven leading wagons, with twenty mules, were carried off by the red men. It was here he was given the opportunity to rescue the woman and her three children from the blood-thirsty wretches. The Indians and their captives, who were a soldier's wife and children, were running near a gulch, and Mr. NcNey undertook the task of rescuing them unaided. He crawled down the gulch and shot, wounding
PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.
one of the Indians, who returned his fire, without hitting him, and then ran off, leaving their captives behind. On different occasions he buried the dead after skirmishes. He continued to haul goods from Ellsworth to Forts Hayes, Zerah and Wallace. He was thus employed during the summer and fall, and after the treaty with the Indians hauled supplies to Medicine Lodge, Kan. He then returned to Leavenworth and received his discharge. In 1868 he drove an ox-train to Colorado. Fifty wagons were ordered from Ellsworth to Cheyenne, and there loaded for Port Bridger and Camp Douglass. This trip took all summer, but no serious trouble with the Indians occurred. The following year he left Fort Bridger and hauled government supplies for Colonel Bracket to Fort Ellis, at the head of the Missouri River. The Indians were troublesome at this place also. He then returned to Fort Bridger and sold the outfit to a contractor near Salt Lake, while he remained at the fort in charge of the cattle. He finally sold out to the government and returned to Leavenworth. In 1875 he crossed the plains with cattle and teams, his wife driving a team, intending to cross the "Divide" to Snake River. When they reached Livermore Park they were caught in the snow and had to turn their cattle out and winter there. They then decided to locate there, and he secured employment with N. C. Alford for a couple of years. He then pre-empted one hundred and sixty acres near the postoffice, which he sold a year later, and settled on his present farm, one hundred and sixty acres, at the head of Livermore Park. He proved his claim, improved and added to it, until he now has two hundred and forty acres, fenced and in a good state of cultivation. The fine springs on the ground make it an especially desirable place, and here he raises cattle and horses, making it a profitable business.
Mr. McNey married Miss Frances Stewart in Leavenworth in 1875. She was born in Des Moines, Iowa, and was a daughter of John W. Stewart, of Indianapolis. Her grandfather, Charles Stewart, was born in Kentucky, but moved first to Indiana, and later to Des Moines, Iowa, where he settled his four sons on a quarter-section of land. One of these sons was her father, who afterward moved to Leavenworth, Kan. Her great-grandfather, Charles Stewart, was of Scotch parentage, while on her mother's side she was of Irish origin. Her mother, Mary Boyle, was born in Indianapolis, where her grandfather Boyle conducted a shoemaking shop. The mother died in Leavenworth, leaving five children, four of whom are living, as follows; Frances, now Mrs. McNey; Josephine, Parrott and Elmer, all of Leavenworth. Mr. and Mrs. McNey have three children: Stewart, Walter and John, Jr. Mr. McNey organized school district No. 28, and was first treasurer of the board, while his wife was secretary for ten years. He built the first school house, and has given valuable aid to the cause of education in this section. He also did much toward making the roads, and was overseer of the same for more than sixteen years. In politics he is a Republican. Both he and his estimable wife have many friends.
AMES ANDREW, a pioneer of Colorado and a highly esteemed citizen of Boulder County, is a native of Cheshire, England, born November 20, 1831. From infancy he was an inmate of the home of his grandfather, William Andrew, who was a prominent and prosperous dairyman of Cheshire. There his boyhood years were uneventfully passed, in the acquirement of an education and in aiding his grandfather in the dairy. When he had reached his twenty-fifth year he decided to try his fortunes in a foreign land. Accordingly, in 1856 he embarked for America, landing in New York, and proceeded direct to Wisconsin, where he joined a cousin in Grant County. For two years he worked as a farm hand there.
During his residence in Grant County, Mr. Andrew met and married Miss Margaret Wain. After his marriage he began to work in the lead mines near Lancaster, remaining at that place until 1863, when he migrated to Colorado, making the trip across the plains with a wagon and team of horses and arriving after a journey of six weeks at a point just south of the present limits of Longmont (then known as Burlington). It was on the 13th of June that he reached this town, which then boasted of but one building, a log hotel, that served also as a postoffice. The mail arrived every Saturday by stage from Fort Lupton.
On the land now included in the farm of W. H. Dickens, Mr. Andrew settled shortly after his ar-