PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.
has been improved by its owner until it is one of the most desirable pieces of property in that vicinity. He now rents it, as his livery business requires all his attention.
After going to Golden Mr. Hickox married Miss Hattie Spears, who was born in New York. Her father was an early settler in this state and died in this county in 1896. They have two children, Blanche and George. He was elected alderman of the city in 1896 on the People's party ticket, and was re-elected in 1898. He is a member of the water committee, the street and alley committee, and chairman of the police committee He is a member of the Ancient Order of United Workmen. His residence on Lawrence street was built by himself, and is a model of comfort and convenience. He is of social disposition, and everybody knows and likes him.
EVI BOOTH, a successful farmer, dairyman and stock-raiser, resides on section 18, township 4 south, range 67 west, and is the owner of five hundred and sixty acres of land, nearly all of which lies in one body. The nucleus of his present property was formed in 1864, when he bought a claim and entered a homestead of one hundred and sixty acres. In his first effort to pre-empt a claim he was unfortunate and made a mistake, locating land six miles from the correct place, but his second effort was more successful. The improvements o1 the place have been made under his personal supervision and have increased the value of the land greatly. He has planted a large number of trees, making a beautiful grove that adds to the attractiveness of his homestead. For a number of years his attention was given almost wholly to the raising of stock, but he now engages, besides, in general farm pursuits and the dairy business.
In Moravia Township, Cayuga County, N. Y., May 1, 1829, the subject of this sketch was born to Ager and Betsey (Dowing) Booth, natives of Connecticut, and there reared and married, but for years residents of a New York farm. Both the Booth and Dowing families originated in England. When our subject was about fifteen years of age he left the home farm and vent to Dodge County, Wis., where he joined his brother, David L. After a year he went to Madison, Wis., where he had an uncle. A year later he entered the preparatory department of the University of Wisconsin and was one of two young men comprising the first class that graduated from that institution, with the degree of A. B. After completing his literary education he studied law with an uncle, J. G. Knapp, who afterward became a judge in the southern district of New Mexico. He was admitted to the bar at the age of twenty-seven.
While still in Madison, Wis., August 13, 1854, prior to his admission to the bar, Mr. Booth married Miss Millie A. Dowing, who was born in Erie, Pa., a daughter of David and Emily (Whitney) Dowing. For a short time he conducted a real-estate office in Prairie du Chien, Wis., and he was similarly engaged in Black River Falls for a year. Returning to Madison he completed his law studies and formed a partnership with his uncle and another gentleman, and for some five years engaged in practice there. In 1860, with a team of horses, he drove from Omaha to Denver in eighteen days, accompanying George W. Stoner and Charles Hilton. The wagon was so crowded with provisions and supplies that he thought best to leave his law books in Omaha, although he had planned to practice law in Colorado. Instead, however, he went to California Gulch (now Leadville), where he engaged in mining.
Returning east for his family, who had been visiting in Sandusky, Ohio, Mr. Both brought them as far west as Fremont, Neb., with horse teams, but in the latter town disposed of his horses and bought cattle, with which he made the remainder of the journey. They left Madison April 18, 1861, and arrived at California Gulch July 12. While on the way one of their children, a girl of three years, died and was buried on the plains July 2. Arriving at his destination he resumed mining, while his wife at the same time kept a hotel, express office, postoffice and store. In the meantime his uncle had been appointed, by President Lincoln, a judge in New Mexico, and he decided to join him there. In the fall of 1863 he and his family drove, with horses, to La Masilla, taking with them four loads of merchandise. They left Denver September 4, and arrived at La Masilla early in November, after some exciting experiences with the Mexicans, who made repeated efforts to steal from them. They engaged in the mercantile business, but Mrs.
PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.
Booth did not like the country, on account of the few white women there and the many privations people were compelled to endure. For this reason they sold out and returned to Denver. While on their way north, in fording a stream, they were washed down the current, and one horse went under, they cut the horses loose and took refuge on an island, where they were in dire distress until rescued by the help of Peter Dotson, United States marshal for Utah at the time of the Mountain Meadow massacre. Since his return to Arapahoe County Mr. Booth has occupied his present homestead.
The oldest child of Mr. and Mrs. Booth is Gillett L., who is represented elsewhere in this work. Emma, who was born at Black River Falls, Wis., March 25, 1858, died on the plains when the family were removing to Colorado. Lillie B., who was born in La Masilla, N. Mex., November 25, 1863, married Judge C. C. Holbrook, and lives at Alamosa, Colo. Ella Grace, the youngest of the family, was born in the house where her father now lives, November 13, 1868, and is the wife of D. W. Working, who is a newspaper man and has been secretary of the State Agricultural College at Fort Collins; they and their two children live on Mr. Booth's farm.
Reared in the faith of the Whig party, Mr. Booth remained true to its principles until its disintegration. Since then he has been a Republican. In 1856 he voted for John C. Fremont. He was appointed county commissioner to fill an unexpired term. He was nominated by the Prohibition party for state treasurer, but he refused to accept the nomination, as he did also for state senator. Since the organization of the Grange he has been identified with it, and for many years was master of the state Grange. Fraternally he is connected with Harman Lodge No. 105, I. O. O. F., in which he has filled various offices.
RANCIS M. JEWETT, whose pleasant home is located at a point about six and a-half miles east of Longmont, across the line in Weld County, is one of the representative citizens in the locality in which he dwells. His high standing as a business man, and his undoubted energy and general ability, led to his being chosen as one of the county road commissioners in &892, and from that time to the present he has officiated in that capacity, giving satisfaction to all concerned. He is a Populist in his political faith, and is not an aspirant for public positions. Among the fraternal orders he has associated himself with two, the Odd Fellows and the Ancient Order of United Workmen. In the first-mentioned he belongs to Longmont Lodge No. 29.
The father of our subject is Dr. George C. Jewett, whose birth occurred in the city of Cincinnati, Ohio. There he grew to maturity, receiving excellent public school advantages. He adopted the medical field as his choice of a profession and, after graduating from a well-known Cincinnati college, settled in Ohio, there embarking in practice. Later he removed to Iowa, and for many years was an inhabitant of Decatur County. The mother of our subject came from one of the old, aristocratic families of Kentucky. She was Lydia C. Logan, the daughter of John B. and Eliza (Baker) Logan, of Whitley County, Ky. John B. Logan was a man of much prominence in his community, being president of a bank in Lineville, and extensively interested in the raising and breeding of fine live-stock.
F. M. Jewett was born in Decatur County, Iowa, October 9, 1859, being one of six children, one of whom has since passed to the silent land. He was reared under the loving guidance of his parents, and was given good educational advantages. Early in life he developed a taste and genius for agriculture, and, as his mother owned a ranch in Iowa, he was allowed to work the place on shares. This he continued to do up to 1883, when he sold off his stock, and as he was in rather poor health, he decided to come to Colorado. He arrived in Denver May 5, 1883, and at the close of the first year he could see a marked improvement in his general strength, and he determined to make this his future home. Locating on the St. Vrain, he rented a farm for several years. He was prosperous in his undertakings, and in 1891 found himself in a position to own a homestead. He invested his funds in a parcel of land one hundred and sixty acres in extent, and here he has since dwelt, making such improvements as he deemed best, and making a model farm in every respect of the place.
November 25, 1886, Mr. Jewett married Miss Alice B. Cady, a native of the Empire state, her birth having occurred in the vicinity of Auburn,
PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.
N. Y. A son and three daughters grace the home of Mr. and Mrs. Jewett, and are named respectively: John Logan, Ethel M., Edna L. and Ada C.
OHN McCORMICK is a successful agriculturist of Weld County, his home being on section 24, township 1 range 69, half a mile east of Berthoud. In addition to following general farming and stock-raising he has dealt quite extensively in live stock, buying, selling and shipping. His well-applied energy and industry can be seen upon every hand about his ranch. His comfortable house, built of brick, was the first one constructed of that material in this locality. His barn is one of the largest and best in the neighborhood. The prosperity which he now enjoys is entirely the result of his own labors, for, when he arrived in America, in early manhood, he was a poor Irish boy, having less than $ in the world. Now he ranks with the best farmers and citizens of this county and is always counted upon to do whatever he can to advance the welfare of the public. As one of the stockholders of the Partners' Mill and Elevator Company, of Berthoud, he has been actively interested, this being one of the most beneficial institutions of this section of the county.
Born in County Clare, Ireland, June 4, 1840. our subject is a son of John and Margaret (McMahon) McCormick, who were well-to-do farmers. When he was seventeen years of age John McCormick, Jr., came to the United States with his married sister, Mrs. Mary S. Slashary. He worked in the iron foundries of Philadelphia for about a year, and then proceeded westward as far a Blackhawk County, Iowa, where he had an uncle living. In his employ he continued five years, at the expiration of which period he concluded to come to Colorado and embark in mining enterprises.
From 1872 until 1875 he followed mining and prospecting, in company with his brother Martin, who had come to America at the same time, in 1857. They were in Central City much of the time and the mountain altitude did not seem to agree with our subject. Therefore he went to Golden and engaged in railroading and coal-mining, later working on the Gulf Railroad, which was then in process of construction between Cheyenne and Longmont. When the line was completed he was made foreman of the Loveland section, and five or six months afterward took charge of the Berthoud section.. This he worked on for nearly three years, and in the meantime had bought one-quarter of a section of land near Loveland, renting the same. While employed on the Berthoud section he became the purchaser of the farm where he now makes his home, The Hardy ditch was then the only one in this locality, and the land was dry and gave little promise. Mr. McCormick was not discouraged, but bravely set about altering and improving things on his property. His home ranch comprises one hundred and sixty acres, and besides this he owns another place of similar extent, about eight miles distant, which homestead he rents.
January 14, 1884, Mr. McCormick married Miss Phoebe McCafferty, who is a native of the northern part of Ireland, but has lived in America since she was eighteen years old. This worthy couple have no children of their own, but have taken into their hearts and home two little ones, Katie and Thomas, aged respectively twelve and seven years. They are the children of Mr. McCormick's sister, Kate, wife of James Roach, of County Clare, Ireland. They made the journey from their far-away home in Ireland with a friend to Chicago and from there alone as far as Denver, where their uncle met them. In 1887 he and his wife made a three months' visit in Ireland. Politically he is a Democrat. In religions faith he and his wife are Catholics, attending the church at Longmont.
LPHONSO SCHOFIELD. Among the farmers living in Boulder County prominent mention belongs to Mr. Schofield, who for some years has followed agricultural pursuits in this part of the state. In 1894 he purchased the property which he has since owned and superintended. It consists of eighty acres, situated three miles north of Lafayette. Since his purchase he has added many improvements to the property, conspicuous among which is a modern residence of brick, one of the largest houses in the neighborhood.
A native of Nova Scotia, the subject of this sketch was born in 1863, being a son of William H. and Mary (Downing) Schofield. When a child he removed with his parents to Boston, Mass., and in the public schools of that city he
PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.
acquired his education. On reaching the age of eighteen he came west to Colorado, hoping to attain success in this growing state. He settled in the vicinity of Canfield, Boulder County, where he embarked in farming. After some years he removed to the farm he now owns and occupies. He has shown great enterprise in the management of his business interests and is well and favorably known as one of the most progressive men of this section.
February 21, 1892, Mr. Schofield married Mary M. Prince, daughter of Hon. Hiram and Mary (Lindsay) Prince, prominent residents of Boulder County. The history of the Prince family is given in the sketch of her father, presented elsewhere in this volume. Mr. and Mrs. Schofield are the parents of a daughter and two sons: Mary B., Archibald J. and George F.
ON. JOHN J. CLARK, the popular mayor of Nevadaville, Gilpin County, has lived in this state for thirty years and has not only witnessed the great and sweeping changes that have come to this section of the Union, but has aided materially in the grand result. Formerly he acted in the capacity of city clerk and treasurer of this town for many years, and was elected to his present office in 1898. Ten years ago he was living in Jefferson and was nominated on the Republican ticket for the state legislature. In the fall elections he was given a good majority and was a member of the seventh general assembly of the state, the sessions of i888-89. He introduced the bill asking for an appropriation to be used to investigate methods of purifying Clear Creek waters and this bill was duly passed. He was concerned with irrigation and other bills and did effective work on behalf of his constituents. In 1884 he was elected to the fifth general assembly of the state for Gilpin County and served with credit.
Mr. Clark was born in Liscard, England, in November, 1846. His father, Joseph Clark, was a native of the same locality, and was a miner by occupation. In 1865 he brought his little family to the United States, and settled in Keweenaw County, Mich., remaining there about three years. In 1868 he came to Nevadaville, and for a few years was interested in mining and prospecting in various parts of Gilpin County. He died here when in his fifty-third year. The mother of our subject was a Miss Martha Bennie prior to her marriage to Mr. Clark. She was born in England and died in that country at the time that her son John J. was but eight years old. She had but two children, and the other son, William H., was killed when he was seventeen years old, by tailing down a mine shaft near Nevadaville. The father subsequently married again, and had four children by that union, two of whom survive.
Until he was twelve years old John J. Clark attended the English schools to a greater or less extent, working at intervals, also, in the mines. He became a practical tin and copper miner while still a mere boy, and in 1865 he determined to try his fortunes in America. Accordingly he sailed from Liverpool and arrived in New York City at the end of a tedious voyage of six weeks' duration. Thence he proceeded to the copper mines of the upper peninsula of Michigan. In May, 1868, he came to Colorado, preceding his family about five months. Here he prospected and developed mines in different parts of the Kansas lode, and was reasonably successful. He now owns a half interest in the Enterprise mine on Yankee Hill and a half interest in the Eureka on the same hill. In addition to these, he has investments in Nevada mining property and is connected with the Champion Gold Mining Company, which is operating the Champion mine. From 1878 to 1884 he conducted a general merchandise business in Nevadaville and in the year last-mentioned sold out and opened a meat and vegetable market in Central City, running the same for two years. In 1887 he located on a ranch of three hundred and twenty acres at Bergen Park. This place is situated near Beaver Brook, in the foot hills, and during the following six years Mr. Clark devoted much of his time and energies to general farming and stock-raising there. In 1893 he went to Golden, becoming superintendent of the White Ash coal mines, but in the fall of 1895 he returned to this place. He still owns the ranch already alluded to, and is one of the proprietors of the largest store in the town. For the past three years he has been connected with the Colorado Trading and Investment Company, takes an active part in its management and is its vice-president.
The marriage of Mr. Clark and Miss Sarah
PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.
Souden was solemnized in 1873 in Nevadaville. Her father, William Souden, came to this state in 1871, turned his attention to mining enterprises and died here a few years later. His wife, Miss Mary Rogers before their marriage, also died at her home in this place. They were the parents of four children, three of whom survive. William, now a resident of Butte City, Mont., served throughout the Civil war in the Twenty-first Wisconsin, and rose to the rank of second lieutenant. Mr. and Mrs. Clark have two adopted children. Mrs. Clark is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church and is associated with the Daughters of Rebekah. Fraternally Mr. Clark is an Odd Fellow and is past officer of the lodge and encampment. At present he is serving his second term as a member of the local school board, being the treasurer of the same.
RNEST LE NEVE FOSTER, superintendent of the Saratoga mine for the Saratoga and Cyclops Gold and Silver Consolidated Mining Company, is ex-state geologist and a man who thoroughly understands mining, having attended the best schools of mines in England and Germany and had thirty years' experience. He was born in London, England, the son of Peter Le Neve and Georgiana Elizabeth (Chevallier) Le Neve Foster. His great-grandfather was named Peter Le Neve, but in the next generation the name Foster was added, and since then the family has been known as Le Neve Foster. The Le Neves are of Norman descent and trace their ancestry back prior to the year 1400, at which time and for a long time afterward they were owners of large estates in Norfolk. Peter Foster, the grandfather of our subject, was born in Norfolk, and was a miller of that place, where his son, Peter Le Neve Foster, was born. This son was a barrister by profession but afterward became secretary of the Society for the Encouragement of the Arts and Sciences, in London, which position he filled for more than twenty-five years. He died there when sixty-nine years of age. He married Georgiana Elizabeth Chevallier, of Suffolk, England, whose father, Dr. Clement Chevallier, of French-Huguenot extraction, was in his time eleventh wrangler of Cambridge University, a fellow of his college, and was tutor to Wordsworth. She died in London, leaving ten children, of whom nine are living.
The only member of this family residing in America is Ernest Le Neve Foster, who reached manhood in London, having attended the private schools of that city, and later the Royal School of Mines, of the same place, from which he graduated in 1868. He then went to Freiburg, where he entered the King's and Emperor's Mining Academy, where he took a special course during the year of 1868-69. Immediately upon leaving this academy he went to Italy and was assistant in some gold mines in the Alps for eighteen months. He returned to England at the end of that time and stayed nine months, and in 1872 came to America as the superintendent of the Snow Drift Silver Mining and Reduction Company, and located near Georgetown, Clear Creek County. He continued there and also had charge of other mines in Georgetown district, several of which he developed. He was manager of the Colorado Central mine for five years, and developed mines in Summit County, near Rathbone. The latter he is still interested in and operating. In 1893 he became superintendent of the Saratoga mine, which is nine hundred feet deep and one of the heaviest producers in this section.
He was married in Central City in 1875 to Miss Charlotte Teal, who was a native of Manchester, England, a daughter of George Teal, of Boulder, this state, and a sister of George W, Teal, an extensive mine owner of that city. They have one child, Oscar Le Neve Foster, a graduate of Jarvis Hall, Denver, and a student of Princeton, of the class of 1902. In 1893 our subject moved his family to Denver, where they reside on LaFayette street. While in Georgetown he was county commissioner for Clear Creek for six years, during which time he was chairman of the board. He was also surveyor of the same county one term. In 1883 he was appointed by Gov. J. B. Grant, as geologist for the state, serving one term. He is a member of Denver Lodge No. 84, A. F. & A. M., Colorado Chapter No. 29, Denver Commandery No. 25 and Denver Consistory, A. & A. S. R.; also the El Jebel Temple, N. M. S. He is a member of the Episcopal Church, and in national politics he usually votes with the Republican party. He belongs to the American Institute of Mining Engineers, and is second vice-
PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.
president of the Colorado Scientific Society, to which he has belonged since its organization. He is a fellow of the Geological Society of London.
ILLIAM F. FICK. Probably no man in the state is more widely known, through the medium of the article he manufactures, than is the gentleman whose biography it is our pleasant duty to present here. He came to Colorado in 1873, and worked at his trade, which is that of a wagonmaker, and has succeeded in the business beyond his highest expectations. Seeing the necessity of a better wagon for the hauling of quartz and general mountain use, he readily recognized the weak points in the old style of wagon, and set about perfecting one that should meet the requirements of this community. Having been accustomed to the country and knowing the greatest strain would come on certain parts of the wagon, he manufactured one of extra strength, with large double tires. These wagons are of national reputation as the Blackhawk wagon, and are shipped to all parts of the United States and even into British Columbia.
Mr. Fick was born in Stargard, in the province of Pomerania, Prussia, October 17, 1845, his parents being Christopher and Louisa (Kryger) Fick. Both his father and grandfather were wagonmakers of Stargard, a town famed for its manufactories. His grandfather, Christopher Fick, was in the Prussian army, and took part in the battles of Leipsic, Waterloo and Austerlitz. His father was born in 1823, in Prussia, but forty years later brought his family to this country, locating in St. Joe, Mo., where he now lives. He married Louisa Kryger, of Pomerania, who died in St. Joe in 1891. Of the ten children born to them, eight grew up and seven are now living.
William F., the oldest of the family, attended the public school in his youth, until he was fourteen, when he was apprenticed, under his father, to learn the trade of a wagonmaker. He continued there until October I, 1863, when he left the fatherland, sailing from Hamburg to New York, landing here November 1, and going directly to St. Joe, where he worked at his trade. While in that city he became a member of the Missouri Home Guard. In 1873 he located in Blackhawk and accepted a position as wagonmaker with Leitzman & Boellert. He worked for them until 1879, when Mr. Boellert took the business, and he continued with him two years more and then became a partner. This partnership continued for ten years, at the expiration of which time he became sole owner of the business and continued it alone until 1897, when he took James Holck as partner. The firm is now Fick & Holck. Besides the many wagons they manufacture, they do a large business in blacksmithing. They are located on Main street, and have the oldest establishment of the kind in the county. Mr. Pick is also one of the operators and owners of the Cameron Claim Gulch mine.
He married while in St. Joe, Miss Katie Hines, of Wurtemberg, Germany. They have five children, viz.: Milton, a machinist in the employ of the Gold Coin Company; Lewis, a wagonmaker in his father's shop; William, a blacksmith, also in his father's shop; Oscar, attending the Boulder Preparatory school, class of '99; and Frederick. Mrs. Fick is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, and is a lady of many noble qualities. Mr. Fick has been elected for several terms as mayor and alderman, and is at present a member of the school board of which he is president. He joined the Savannah Lodge, F. & A. M., in Missouri, but has transferred his membership to Blackhawk Lodge No. 11. He is a Democrat in politics. In all his dealings he has been honest, upright and honorable to a fault, and is highly esteemed.
OHN D. STICKFORT. The popular resort known as Military park, at Fort Logan, was opened by Mr. Stickfort in 1887, when he, with his partner, Mr. Curn, cleared the underbrush and built all the improvements now on the place, making a sightly, inviting spot out of a desert waste. After having carried on the park for one year, it was sold at a good price and he removed to his present farm, which he had purchased in 1882, when it was au uninviting tract of wild prairie land. From the time of the purchase he instituted improvements, among them planting an apple orchard, which is now the largest bearing orchard in Jefferson County, and from which he gathered in 1897 more than one thousand barrels of apples.
Mr. Stickfort was born in Hanover, Germany, May 2, 1849, and is a son of G. H. and Mary
PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.
(Van Otten) Stickfort. He was one of six children, four of whom are now living, namely: G. H., a retired business man living in Denver; Henry; Herman, who was born August 15, 1845, and is now our subject's partner; and John D. The father, who was born in Hanover, engaged in farm work in his native land until 1860, when he emigrated to America and settled in St. Louis County, Mo. He followed farming until his death, which occurred three years after his emigration to the United States. After his death his three oldest sons enlisted in the Civil war, while our subject remained at home, carrying on the farm. In 1865 he opened a mercantile store in St. Louis, under the firm name of J. D. Stickfort & Co., and he continued in business until 1874, when he and his partners sold out the business to the Union Depot Company at a good profit.
During the same year, 1874, Mr. Stickfort became the company in the firm of H. Seaver & Co., a few blocks from his old location. He continued prosperously engaged in business until 1879, when he went to Texas. For three years he carried on a stock business and was successful in his undertakings, but the climate was not suited to his constitution; so he disposed of his interests and made a tour of inspection through Kansas, Colorado and the Indian Territory, finally settling in Denver. Here he saw an opening in the wholesale liquor business, and in the spring of 1882, as a member of the firm of Stickfort & Curn, he opened a store on Fifteenth and Lawrence streets. He continued the business until he opened up Military park in 1887. His brothers, who went to Texas in 1874 and engaged in the cattle business, remained in that state until 1882 and then settled in Denver. They are now identified with our subject's farming interests. He has equipped his place with every modern improvement and has a storage reservoir, built at a cost of $40,000, by the Harriman Ditch Company, in which the Stickfort brothers are stockholders; he also uses the Harriman ditch and irrigating system for the irrigation of the upland of Bear Creek Valley.
Politically Mr. Stickfort is a Republican. He has been identified with the Masonic fraternity and Knights of Honor, and was the seventeenth member initiated in the lodge in St. Louis, which was then newly founded. He was also connected with the Ancient Order of Druids. However, on leaving St. Louis, he allowed his lodge memberships to lapse and has not retained his association with any of the societies.
HRISTOPHER L. FOX, who is a member of the school board of Blackhawk, Gilpin County, is the foreman of the New York seventy-five-stamp mill here, and is a thoroughly competent man for this responsible position, as has been made manifest during the five years he has been in charge of the plant. He came to Colorado seventeen years ago, and since that time has been directly or indirectly interested in mining operations. In 1885 he located the Mayflower in the Enterprise district, patented the claim and has developed it to some extent. The same year, 1885, he became an employe of the company which he is still serving, and by promptness and fidelity, industry and strong common sense, made himself valuable to his superiors, who repose great confidence in him.
The paternal grandfather of our subject, John Fox, was a native of England, and by occupation was a farmer. His son, George Fox, father of our subject, was born in Lincolnshire, and was in the English navy for twenty-one years and fifty-two days, when he was retired upon a pension, as a non-commissioned officer. He died in England. His wife, whose maiden name was Elizabeth Freeling, was born in Lestershire, and is now a resident of Newton, Lincolnshire. Their family comprised twelve children, ten of whom are living. Annie died at the age of thirty years in Wisconsin; George is engaged in blacksmithing in Big Patch, Wis.; Rev. John is a minister of the Congregational Church in Granville, Ill.; Thomas is a farmer of Hampton, Franklin County, Iowa; Charles is a graduate of the state normal and is a professor in the Platteville (Wis.) schools; James is a farmer of Hampton, Iowa; William was accidentally scalded at the age of three years and died from his injuries; Mary, Mrs. George Bird, lives at Hampton, Iowa; Freeling graduated from the state normal in Wisconsin and is teaching in that state; Harriet lives at the old home in Newton; and Harry is in business in the mill of which our subject is foreman.
C. L. Fox was born December 9, 1858, in
PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.
Newton, Lincolnshire, England, and passed sixteen years of his life there. He attended the common school and was but eight years of age when he commenced to earn his own livelihood. He continued to work for neighboring farmers until he came to the United States in 1875. Locating near Platteville, Wis., he went to school one winter and then gave his whole energies to agriculture for several years. In 1881 he concluded to try his fortunes in Colorado, and proceeded direct to Blackhawk. Here he found employment in a mill until he entered his present line of business. He has been very successful and has merited the prosperity which he now enjoys. Politically he is identified with the Prohibition party.
The marriage of Mr. Fox and Miss Elizabeth Bellamy was solemnized in Darlington, Wis., in 1898*. Mrs. Fox was born in Sheffield, England, and was reared to womanhood in the town of Newton. Two children came to bless the home of Mr. and Mrs. Fox, but the daughter, a lovely little one, Lottie Bernice, was summoned to the better land when she was four years and ten months old. Raymond Buttery is a bright child of three years. Mrs. Fox is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church.
*The year is given as 1898!
LBERT W. EATON came west to Colorado in 1872 and settled in Denver, with the intention of engaging in the cattle business; but, a suitable opening not being found, he accepted employment at his former occupation, the milling business. In 1878, when his present farm in Jefferson County was placed on the market, he purchased the property and removed to it immediately afterward, meantime renting the place in Denver that he had bought soon after coming to the city. For nineteen years he has given his attention to gardening and fruit-raising, in which occupations he has been very successful.
Born in Cattaraugus County, N. Y., January 12, 1827, the subject of this sketch is a son of Earl W. and Margaret (Brownell) Eaton. He was one of nine children, all deceased but himself and his brother, Joseph, a farmer and dairyman in Cattaraugus County, N. Y. His father, who was born in Connecticut in 1804, removed from there to New York state with his parents when he was a boy and settled in Chemung County, where he remained until seventeen years of age. Then, with his clothes in a pack on his back, he started out in the world to seek his fortune. He journeyed through the wilderness to Cattaraugus County, where he took up a farm of sixty-five acres and began the task of clearing and cultivating a homestead. From time to time he added to his property until his estate comprised almost four hundred acres. In 1869 he sold his farm and moved to town, where he lived in retirement until he died, in 1888.
The Eaton family is descended from three brothers who emigrated from Europe (presumably from Scotland) to America in an early day, one settling in New England, another in Nova Scotia and the third in Virginia. This branch of the family descends from the New England settler. The grandfather of our subject, Harrison Woster Eaton, settled in Chemung County, N. Y., where he died in 1841, at the age of about seventy-two years. Our subject received a public-school education and grew to manhood in his native county. At twenty-one years of age he married Miss Elizabeth Locke. Previous to his marriage he had begun to work for Mr. Locke in a sawmill and also assisted in the construction of a gristmill. On the completion of the gristmill he bought an interest in it and in the sawmill, both of which were conducted successfully. In time he bought his father-in-law's interest in the business and became the sole proprietor, continuing until 1869, when the mill was destroyed by fire, entailing a heavy loss upon him. For some two years afterward he found employment among neighboring millers, but he finally decided that the west would offer him a better opening than the east, and accordingly, in 1872, he came to Denver. The results have proved the wisdom of his decision. He has prospered in business transactions and has become the possessor of a valuable homestead, on winch he raises garden truck and fruit for sale in the Denver market.
Four children were born to the union of Mr. and Mrs. Eaton, three of whom are now living. James B., who is a graduate of the State Normal school in Fredonia, N. Y., is now a druggist in Binghamton, that state. Evangeline, also a graduate of the New York State Normal, is now engaged in teaching in the Denver schools. Jessie is deceased. Albert L., a graduate of the