JAMES S. BARBER
PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.
a native of Bavaria, and with whom he was united in 1881. They have one child, Lizzie.
For years Mr. Hilburger voted the Republican ticket, but when the Republicans declared for gold in 1896, he left the party and allied himself with the Populists. By them he was given the nomination for the legislature. He has served as village trustee for two years, and while living on the ranch he held office as a member of the school board for nine years. His ancestors were Catholics and he was reared in that faith, his family also being identified with that church. Fraternally he is connected with the Ancient Order of United Workmen and is now foreman of Castle Rock Lodge No. 27. Aside from his other interests he owns stock in a mining company at Cripple Creek and also in a stock company operating another mine.
AMES S. BARBER resides on the East Evans ranch, which is situated on sections 15-22, township 5, range 6, Weld County. This is one of the historic sites in the state, Here occurred the birth of the first white child born in Colorado, a girl, still living, and now in Arizona. Here was old Fort Latham, the headquarters of the government troops during the Indian troubles of 1860-64, and here, too, was the old ford on the Platte River. Through the land ran the main stage line from Kearney to Denver. During the early days of the '60s the county seat was at Fort Latham, the postoffice being called Latham, and the county court was presided over by Judge Wells. The outlines of the old town site are still visible and the old trees still stand, landmarks of pioneer days.
In Meadville, Pa., Mr. Barber was born January 3, 1845, a son of Hiram P. and Nancy (Silsby) Barber, natives of New York state. His father removed to Pennsylvania when a young man, and from Meadville later went to Ashtabula, Ohio, but in 1859 settled in Columbia County, Wis., buying a farm near Columbus. In 1861 he enlisted in the Gray Beard Regiment of Iowa Infantry, but when he had been in service less than one year, died in Illinois, aged sixty-nine years. Farming was his life work and he owned about four hundred acres in Wisconsin. At one time he was interested in a railroad extending from Columbus to Watertown, Wis., and in it he served as a director. His wife died in Dakota in 1884, at the age of seventy-six years. They were the parents of seven children, but only three are living, viz.: Nancy, wife of Louis Underwood, of Cromo, Colo.; Mary, who married Alonzo B. Frizzell, of Sioux Falls, S. Dak.; and James S.
The boyhood years of our subject were spent in Pennsylvania, Ohio and Wisconsin. At the age of twenty he went to Fillmore County, Minn., where he bought land and embarked in farming pursuits. In 1864 he was drafted for the army, but the war closed before he was sent to the front. In 1865, at the time of the Sweet Water gold excitement, he started for Wyoming, but on reaching Council Bluffs the military authorities in the town refused his party permission to proceed further, owing to depredations of the Indians at that time. After four mouths he went to the southwestern part of Missouri and organized a company of eight, who started for Sweet Water in the spring of 1866. At Council Bluffs the number was increased to fourteen. They traveled over the plains to Cheyenne, and from there went to the gold regions, arriving about the middle of June. In a short time he went to work on the Union Pacific Railroad, in process of construction from Cheyenne to Ogden, and continued in that connection until the road was completed, two years later. Returning to Missouri in 1868, he remained there for some years, and in the meantime married Miss Louisa J. Bailey. In the spring of 1873 he started for Colorado and arrived in Evans June 3, shortly after which he settled on his present ranch, then the property of his father-in-law, Daniel B. Bailey. He was one of the organizers of the Union Ditch Company and assisted in the construction of the ditch. Since then he has served as an officer of the company, having been its president since 1891. In 1876 he assisted in the organization of the Latham Ditch Company, of which he was president and a director for several years. After bringing water to the land, he began general farming and the raising of fine cattle, of which he has about one hundred and fifty head. He also raises Berkshire hogs, and until 1894 was largely interested in the raising of sheep, his herd numbering about five thousand.
Besides his other interests, Mr. Barber owns considerable mining stock, and is president of the Leadville Gold and Silver Mining Company. His landed possession aggregate four hundred
PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.
and forty-nine acres of land in the Platte River bottom, the value of which has been increased by his improvements. Politically a Republican, he was appointed county commissioner by Governor Cooper in the fall of 1891, and in 1893 was regularly elected for three years. During his term he served as chairman of the board. In the organization of school district No. 11 he took an active part; he has served on the board of trustees since 1875, and has held each of the offices in that body.
The marriage of Mr. Barber united him with a daughter of D. B. Bailey, a native of Kentucky, who came to Colorado from Missouri in 1861 and for many years engaged in the stock business, being the largest dealer of this section. He now makes his home in Greenfield, Dade County, Mo., and is seventy-four years of age. Mr. and Mrs. Barber have one son, Frederick S., at present a student in the Evans high school. Fraternally Mr. Barber is identified with Occidental Lodge No. 20, A. F. & A. M., Greeley Chapter No. 14, R. A. M., and Greeley Commandery, K. T.
APT. RINALDO P. BEAN, of Douglas County, owns a ranch on section 24, township 6 south, range 69 west, eight miles from Littleton. He was born in Gilead, Oxford County, Me., October 4, 1842, a son of John M. and May (Mason) Bean. His father was a carpenter by trade, but also owned and operated a farm, and upon that place our subject's boyhood days were passed. He attended the public schools for some time, after which he was a student in Gould's academy, at Bethel, for one term, and then commenced to teach school. However, one week after his school had opened, he enlisted in Company B, Twenty-third Maine Infantry, for tune months. He was promoted from fourth to first sergeant, and served for one month longer than the term of his enlistment. Shortly after being mustered out, in July, 1863, he went to Iowa, where he became a member of Company K, Ninth Iowa Infantry. The regiment, however, was at the front with Sherman, and it was some months before he was ordered to join it. He was then sent to Nashville, where he took part in a battle and for the first time was under fire from the enemy's guns. While there he was given the rank of captain and had charge of a company. At Kingston, N. C., he participated in the three days' fight and afterward was in many skirmishes. When the war ended he took part in the grand review at Washington and was mustered out in Iowa, in July, 1865.
After spending a few months in Iowa, in November Captain Bean returned to Maine and followed the carpenter's trade there until 1870. He then came to Colorado as a passenger on the first passenger train that ever entered Denver. With him was a brother who was very low with asthma. For a few months he experimented at mining in Central City, and then engaged at his trade in the same place, where he remained for five months. He worked in Denver for three years, after which, in 1873, he took up a ranch on section 23, which he still owns. Later he bought the land where he is now engaged in dairying and stock-raising. He is the owner of four hundred acres in one body, upon which he has made improvements that add to the value of the ranch.
In Louisville, Ky., November 14, 1865, Captain Bean married Miss Matilda Clarke, with whom he became acquainted while in the army. She died while they were living in Maine and left one son, Llewellyn, who is married, has two children, and lives on Plum Creek. In April, 1873, in Maine, our subject married Miss Mary Hamlin, a distant relative of Hannibal Hamlin. Five children were born of their marriage, namely: Alta, wife of Charles Conrad, of Douglas County, and mother of one child; Gertrude, Grace, Herbert and Gladys, at home.
The first presidential vote cast by Captain Bean was in support of Abraham Lincoln, in 1864. Since then he has continued to uphold Republican principles and candidates. For two years (1889 to 1891) he served as assessor of Douglas County, and from 1891 to 1897 held office as county commissioner. While living in Bethel, Me., he was made a Mason, joining Bethel Lodge No. 97, A. F. & A. M.
ENRY S. GILBERT, one of Boulder County's well-known farmers, settled upon his present place in 1888, when he purchased eighty acres of land, lying two miles south of Longmont, under cultivation. After a time, being prospered, he was enabled to buy one hundred and sixty acres additional, thus making his pres-
PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.
ent estate one of two hundred and forty acres. Here he engages in raising general farm products and in the dairy business, the latter of which he has found to be a profitable adjunct of farming.
In St. Lawrence County, N. Y., Mr. Gilbert was born October 19, 1831, a son of Orlando S. and Dorcas (Place) Gilbert, and the grandson, on his father's side, of a Scotchman. He was one of a family of ten children, whose father was a stone mason and contractor. The determination of his character was apparent when he was but a boy. He refused, when attending school, to study grammar, and when he was about to be forced to do so, he left school. His parents protested with him for so doing, and he thereupon left home, and began shifting for himself. His first work was on the Erie Canal, where he was employed for three months. He then secured a position on a farm, where he was employed until eighteen years of age.
The year 1849 found Mr. Gilbert in Fond du Lac, Wis., with $4.50 in his possession. There he secured work by the month. At the expiration of four years he had saved a sufficient amount of money to enable him to buy a team and wagon. His town was the terminus of the railroad, and he was fortunate in securing good contracts in freighting for the company. From that time he prospered. During the war period he ran a livery business and made money rapidly. Following that he engaged in the stone business, buying a stone quarry which had been pronounced A. No. 1 by an expert. He erected a mill to work the stone, bought heavy wagons and put his employes to work, with a monthly pay roll of $1,800. After his business was in operation he refused a cash offer of $30,000 for the quarry. A short time later the stone ran out and he was a loser to the extent of his offer of $30,000.
While the experience was discouraging, it did not daunt him. He went to Minnesota and opened a promising piece of land, with some $5,000, which had been left him out of his previous misfortune. The land lay between the Winona & St. Peter and the St. Paul & Sioux City Railroads. After two years, during which time he had made many improvements and invested all of his money, the railroads claimed the property, and after some litigation he left the place. With a son-in-law he came to Colorado, arriving at Longmont July 4, 1877. With him he had a team of horses and $50 in money. He engaged in freighting in the mountains, and followed that occupation, together with staging, until 1888, when he came to his present property near Longmont. During his active life he has met with many discouragements and has had obstacles to encounter and hardships to meet; but they only served to make him more determined to succeed. The spirit of determination that set him adrift upon the world in his teens has followed him all through life, and he has prospered where another mail, with less determination of character, would have given up under misfortune.
In 1851 Mr. Gilbert married Miss Melvina Pelton, of Fund du Lac, Wis. Two children were born of their union: Dwight, of Dallas, Tex.; and Ida, deceased. In politics Mr. Gilbert is liberal, voting for the best man, irrespective of political affiliations. In fraternal relations he holds membership in the blue lodge, A. F. & A. M., in Fond du Lac, and Longmont Chapter No. 8, R. A. M.
RED H. BUCKMAN, proprietor of the Golden mills and elevator and a pioneer of '59, was born in Hanover, Germany, in 1834, and is the youngest of three children. He had a sister who died in Germany, while his brother, Henry, resides near Yankton, S. Dak. His father, John, was the son of a soldier who fought under Wellington at Waterloo. He was a farmer and miller, and also engaged in the lumber business, cutting and selling timber for the construction of wagons and ships. His wife died when her youngest child was six months old. The boyhood days of our subject were passed on the Wieser, about twenty miles from Bremen. He attended the common schools and worked in the mill until fourteen years of age, when, in company with two other boys, he left Bremen on the sailing vessel "Neptune" and landed in New Orleans in 1849, after a voyage of forty-two days. He came up the Mississippi to St. Louis and on to Dubuque, Iowa, securing employment on a farm in Dubuque County. Afterward, for several years, he was employed in a mill, and later engaged in buying and selling land; also carried on a grocery business. During the height of the Pike's Peak excitement, in 1859, he left Dubuque on the 14th of February with two wagons and a
PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.
team each of horses and mules. He went west to Omaha, then up the Platte, which he crossed at Fort Kearney, and at the forks he followed the south branch of the river. He arrived at Denver at four o'clock in the afternoon of April 17. From this city he journeyed to Middle Dry, where he engaged in mining, and during the sixteen days he was there with a hand-rocker he took out $73.53 worth of gold. He then went to Arapahoe Bar, below Golden, and afterward worked at Gregory Gulch. In June of the same year he returned to Omaha for a load of provisions, which he brought back to the mountains, and then opened a bakery and grocery. By Christmas he had cleared $3,000. He then returned by team to St. Joseph and from there by rail to Dubuque.
Coming west again in the spring of 1860, Mr. Buckman brought a load of groceries with two four-horse teams and located in Mountain City, Gilpin County, where he started a grocery and bakery. After two or more years he turned his attention to mining, and later engaged in the stock business as a dealer and butcher. In 1866 he took up the Michigan ranch at the old stage station, and there carried on farming and also kept a stage station. The place, which he still owns, comprises four hundred and eighty acres, and is carried on by his son. For some time he carried on the wholesale stock business in Gilpin and Clear Creek Counties. When the Colorado Central was started, during the '70s, he came to Golden and started the Eagle corral, but after one year he went back to Gilpin County. In 1873 he located in Idaho Springs, where he engaged in freighting for a year, and afterward spent several years on the Michigan ranch. In 1880 he opened a meat market at Blackhawk, but after three years again returned to the ranch. In 1889 he bought the old Barnes mill, which was started April 18, 1864, being the first built on Bear Creek below the present site of Morrison. There not being water enough for power, in a few months it was moved to its present site on Clear Creek. Mr. Buckman has all the latest machinery for the manufacture of flour, feed and all milling products, and in the spring of 1898 he bought an elevator, which he now operates, and which has a capacity of one hundred cars of grain. In 1876 he bought the Golden Gate toll road, and for many years he lived at the toll gate within sight of the Guy Hill Mountain. His youngest son was born there and the mountain was named for him.
Politically a Democrat, Mr. Buckman was his party's candidate for mayor of Golden in 1897, but the Republicans having a majority in the city, he failed of election, He was one of the first aldermen of Central City, being a member of the board on which Senator Teller also served. He is identified with the Society of Gilpin County Pioneers. His wife, who was a Miss Thomas, was born in Pennsylvania and died at Golden in 1879, leaving three children: Julia May; Jesse Lee, who assists his father in the mill; and Guy Hill, who manages the Michigan ranch.
OHN CLARK, a pioneer of '60, resides upon a farm of one hundred and sixty acres situated in Jefferson County, where he is engaged in raising stock and general farm products. In early days he was known as "Wheat" Clark, owing to the fact that in 1863 he raised the first wheat that was ever profitably raised in Colorado. A native of England, he was born in Somerset in 1833, and is the son of Abraham and Charlotte (Parsons) Clark. He was one of six children, two of whom are now living, John and Mrs. Charlotte Belgian, of Liverpool, England.
Abraham, son of Stephen Clark, was born in Somerset and there engaged in farming until his death, at the age of seventy-five years. He was a member of an old family of Somerset, the most of whose members had followed farm pursuits. John was reared on the home farm. In 1856, at the age of twenty-three, he came to America and settled in Madison, Wis., where he engaged with Governor Farwell as assistant in landscape gardening. Shortly afterward he began farming on shares, and continued in that way until the fall of 1859, when he went to Missouri, and from there, after spending the winter, to Leavenworth, Kan., on a tour of inspection. He saw nothing in that place that impressed him favorably, so continued his journey westward, arriving in Denver May 4, 1860. In July he traveled from here to the Missouri River with an ox-team and returned with provisions in November. During the winter he made two trips to California Gulch, freighting with au ox-team. In the spring of 1861 he rented the place he now owns and he has
PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.
since engaged in farming. During the winter of 1861-62 he took up a claim of one hundred and sixty acres on Thompson Creek, but was dissatisfied with the prospects and returned to Denver.
Not long afterward Mr. Clark was employed by Dr. Hamilton and Edward Cheeseman to manage the ranch which he had farmed in 1861 and of which he is now the owner. He continued here until 1864, when he took up an adjoining homestead of one hundred and sixty acres and engaged in farming on his own account. After remaining there until 1872, he bought the place he now owns and soon removed to this place. He is interested in educational matters and for nine years was a member of the school board. As a citizen he favors all measures for the benefit of the people.
In Madison, Wis., September 15, 1857, Mr. Clark married Miss Mary Mitchell, and one son was born of their union, D. F., formerly a general merchant and contractor residing in Sargents, Colo., but whose death occurred suddenly in September, 1898. In September, 1862, our subject married Miss Eliza J. Ward, and five children were born of their union. They are: Edwin A., who is engaged in mining in Cripple Creek; Florence M., wife of Judson Towne, a farmer on Ralston Creek; Marietta, wife of Thomas Kinnett, who assists in cultivating his father-in-law's place; Walter, who is engaged in the express business at Cripple Creek; and Ida V., wife of Clarence Milner, who carries on an express business in Denver. The wife and mother passed away September 23, 1894.
ILLIAM H. QUINTRALL, chairman of the board of commissioners of Gilpin County, is a citizen of Russell Gulch and has a pleasant home here. He is highly respected and esteemed by his associates and fellow-townsmen and is an upright, enterprising business man. In the fall of 1892 he was nominated and elected on the People's party ticket; was re-elected in 1895, his term to extend to January, 1899. Since he has been in office much attention has been paid by the board of commissioners to the erection of bridges, and to the highways of this section, as they fully realize the importance of the matter. Mr. Quintrall has the good of the public at heart and is in favor of improvements along all lines.
The parents of the above-named gentleman were natives of England, the father, William Quintrall, born in Cornwall. Grandfather Quintrall was accidentally killed in the Cornwall mines. William Quintrall was also a miner by occupation, and, having heard much about the rich copper mines of Tennessee, he came to the United States many years ago, and lived in the state mentioned. Subsequently he moved to Maryland, thence to Pennsylvania, and in 1860 went to California, where he mined and prospected for a couple of years. In 1862 he and another man discovered the Vivian mine near Silver City, Nev., and this he continued to operate until his death, three years later, at the age of thirty-nine years. His wife, Mary, is still living, her home being in Denver, where four of her children reside, namely: Mrs. Cordelia Tangye, James, Mrs. Jennie Wright and Samuel. Charles is in Central City. Mrs. Quintrall's father, Henry Woolcock, settled in North Carolina while the Civil war was in progress, and afterwards lived in Virginia City, Neb., until his death.
W. H. Quintrall was born in Polk County, Tenn., August 26, 1858, and from 1863 to 1880 lived in Silver City, Nev, where he was a student in the public schools. At the age of fifteen he commenced working at the mines, being in the blacksmith's shop at first, and in charge of miners' picks and tools. In one way and another he gained considerable knowledge of mining operations and in 1880 came to Russell Gulch, where he was employed in the mines for eight months. In the same year he went to Leadville, and eight months later came to Gilpin County. While engaged in mining hereabouts he had numerous narrow escapes from death and twice read in the Register-Call accounts of his supposed departure from this sphere of action. Once in the Nugget mine, he and his partner were nearly overcome with foul air. The other man left and soon returned with assistance, but Mr. Quintrall was not rescued before he had suffered for three and a-half hours the deadly gases. At another time he was in an iron mine, when the roof gave way and he was buried under twenty feet of earth and rock. By what appeared almost a miracle an immense rock fell in such a way that a small crevice was left, down which enough air came to keep life in the unfortunate man. The rescuing party worked heroically and had to put in timber braces in order to
PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.
safely extricate Mr. Quintrall, and in spite of their best efforts it was seven and a-half hours before he was taken out of his living tomb. Small wonder that he then concluded not to tempt fate a third time, but became an engineer on the West Frontenac. He has since worked for different companies and is now engineer of the Hot Pot mine in the Virginia Canon. He helped develop the 2.40 mine and others and is now associated with three men in operating the Champion mine in Elkhorn Gulch.
August 2, 1886, Mr. Quintrall married Miss Bessie Vivian in Denver. She was horn in Central City and was reared and educated there. Two children bless this union, their names being respectively Florence and Bessie. Mrs. Quintrall is a daughter of Thomas and Jane (Gerrans) Vivian, natives of Cornwall, England. The father was an early pioneer of Central City, arriving there about 1860, and from that time until his death, in 1885, he was occupied in mining. His wife died in 1890. Their eldest son, William, was killed by the caving in of a cellar in Central City in 1897, and Charles, the second son, was accidentally killed by the falling of a ladder in Bobtail mine in 1893. Frank, the youngest, is now in Russell Gulch; Mrs. Hattie Griffith, next younger sister of Mrs. Quintrall, resides in Russell Gulch; and Mrs. Lillie Flagler lives in Central City.
ENJAMIN C. CATREN, JR., is a very prosperous and prominent resident of Georgetown, Clear Creek County, and is among the most extensive mine operators in the county. He is still a young man, but possessed of remarkable business acumen, which easily places him in the lead and caused him to be elected to a number of offices of responsibility in the county. Like so many of the residents of this section, he is an American only by adoption.
He was born in England, near Penzance, in December, 1861, and came to this state when seven years of age. His parents, B. C. and Mary J. Catren, were natives of England. The mother died in Georgetown in 1876, and the father is still living and engaged in mining. He came to America in 1865 and located in Central City, and the following year moved to Georgetown, where he was one of the first discoverers of silver mines, and was placed in charge of the Griffith lode during the years 1867-69. This was the principal mine here at that time. Later he acted as superintendent of different mines, and at present he occupies the position of general manager of the Dunderberg mine. He resides in Silver Plume and is interested with his son, our subject, in several mining properties. Of the six children born to them but four are living, of whom our subject is the eldest. William C., of Silver Plume, has charge of the Smuggler mine, the property of Benjamin C., Jr., and his father; Mary, now Mrs. Thompson, lives in Florence; and John G. is in Silver Plume.
B. C. Catren, Jr., received his education in the public and high school of Georgetown. When a lad of ten years he met with a painful accident that came near costing him his life. He was going along a mountain road above which some loggers were rolling logs down the mountain some two or three hundred feet above him, and he was hit by a boulder and terribly injured. The left leg was cut off both above and below the knee by the boulder, and he was badly bruised all over. The leg was bruised and amputation was necessary above the upper cut; even then he was twice given up for dead. However, a strong constitution and youth enabled him to withstand the shock, and in time he recovered his former strength and health. While a student in the high school, during the last year, he left school to accept a position in Wyman's store in Georgetown. He then was appointed deputy clerk of the district court, a position he held for three or four years. In 1884 he was elected town clerk of Georgetown, and in January of the following year was appointed recording clerk of the state senate. After the adjournment of the senate, he entered the state auditor's office as deputy and continued there until the fall of that year, 1885, when he was elected county clerk for two years. He was elected on the Republican ticket with one hundred majority; was re-elected in 1887 by a large majority, and in 1889 received two-thirds of all the votes cast in the county. In 1891 he was again a candidate for the office, but a factional fight was on, and the Democrats elected their entire ticket.
During the years since 1881 Mr. Catren has been bookkeeper and clerk for the Dunderberg Mining Company, a position he still holds. In
PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.
1886 he began to devote his time largely to mining and has discovered and developed many mines with his father. The Smuggler, owned by them, is well developed and a good producer, one of the leading properties of the county, and located above Silver Plume. The Crown Point mine, also discovered and developed by them, consists of a dozen lodes in one group situated between Georgetown and Silver Plume, they also own fifteen or twenty claims in the same vicinity, known as the Cross group, and own and operate the Cascade group of eight lodes on Cascade Creek, Cascade district, this county, besides other property.
November 28, 1889, Mr. Catren married Miss Clara Arnold, a native of White Haven, Pa.; they have two children, Lillian Elaine and Mary Lucile. Their residence is on the corner of Taos and Eighth, on the same side of the street upon which his father first located and where he was reared. He has improved and remodeled the residence until it is now one of the finest in the city. Fraternally he is a past officer in the Independent Order of Odd Fellows. A strong Silver Republican, he is secretary of the Clear Creek Silver Republican committee, was a member of the state central committee, and a member of the state executive committee.
NDREW BALLER settled in 1877 upon an eighty-acre tract five miles south of Longmont, where he applied himself to farm pursuits, and as he prospered, from time to time he added to his original purchase, until his place now comprises two hundred and eighty-five acres. He was born in Sweden, April 23, 1843, a son of Anderson and Carrie (Boressen) Baller. He was one of nine children, eight of whom are living, namely: Mary, Ole, Andrew, Nels, Charles, Ida, Katie and Gust. The parents were born in Sweden, the father in 1813 and the mother in 1811, and the former died in his native land when his children were small. Afterward, in 1875, the widow and her children came to America; the last years of her life she spent with her children, dying in 1896, at the age of eighty-five.
At the time of his father's death our subject was fourteen years of age. The next year he began to work in a sawmill, where two of his brothers also were employed. After three years he began to work as a farm hand, remaining, however, with the same employers as before. At the age of twenty-one he became hostler and coachman for his employers, who owned three large sawmills, three large flour mills and extensive farming interests. After some five years at that work, he emigrated to the United States on the sail boat "Argonaut," from Christiana, Norway, April 19, 1869, and arrived in Quebec, June 19. From that city he went direct to Carroll County, Ill. He had borrowed the money to come on, but was soon able to pay off the debt. After some five months spent in Illinois at farm work, he came to Colorado, arriving in Denver, December 5, 1869. Going to the mountains, he spent two weeks in the mines, after which he secured employment on a farm in the valley. A few months later he began driving a coach for a hotel man in Golden, in which position he was employed fifteen months. Returning to Denver, he worked in a planing mill in that city for five years and three months. While in that position he purchased eighty acres of land near Longmont, and has resided here since 1877.
White in Denver, in 1874, Mr. Baller was united in marriage with Miss Sophia Larson. They became the parents of five children, four of whom are now living, namely: Mathilda, Charlotte, John Frederick and Albert. The family are identified with the Lutheran Church, Mr. Baller in this respect following the religious belief of his forefathers. In political views he is stanch in his support of Republican doctrines.
ILLIAM D. ARNOLD, for four years one of the board of selectmen of Georgetown, Clear Creek County, has made his home in this place ever since Colorado was admitted to the Union, in 1876. In everything relating to the development of the town or the increasing of its prosperity he has been deeply concerned, doing his share towards the general welfare. He is past grand of the local lodge of Odd Fellows here and enjoys the honor of being past grand of the grand lodge of the state. Besides this, he is ex-representative and past officer of the encampment, and belongs to the Daughters of Rebekah Lodge. In politics he is an adherent of the silver party.
PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.
A native of Pennsylvania, Mr. Arnold was born February 26, 1854, and reared to manhood in Luzerne County. His education was chiefly acquired in the towns of White Haven and Fairmount, Pa. In his early manhood he was engaged in the lumber business in his native state, but since September, 1876, when he landed in Colorado, he has devoted himself exclusively to mining operations. Beginning at the bottom round of the ladder leading to success he prospected and at last discovered both the Harold and Marguerite mines, later developing them. In 1884 he became superintendent of the Columbia Tunnel and Mining Company, which is not active at present, though a general supervision of the property is kept up by Mr. Arnold. Afterwards he was connected with Alande mine No. 2, succeeded by Alande consolidated, and he is now operating the Smuggler, one of the most successful and paying mines of this region.
The marriage of Mr. Arnold took place in Georgetown July 30, 1895, when Miss Charlotte Johnson, a native of Sweden, became his wife. The parents of our subject are Hiram and Mary A. (Dunbar) Arnold, natives of Luzerne and Lehigh Counties, Pa., respectively. The father was a contractor and builder in White Haven, Pa., for many years and about 1879 came to Georgetown. The next year he located in Leadville, where he resided until his death, in 1887. The mother now makes her home in Georgetown, where several of her children reside. James died in this city, and Samuel is a merchant here. Three daughters, Mrs. Sarah J. Walters, Mrs. Clara V. Catren and Mrs. Minnie Thompson, live here also. Mrs. Martha E. Forester and Mrs. Lillie Hollingshead reside in Leadville.
The paternal grandfather of our subject, Abraham Arnold, was born in the Connecticut Valley, and was an early settler in the Wyoming Valley, Pa., where he passed the remainder of his days. His father was a soldier of the Revolution, enlisting from his native state, Connecticut. Subsequently he took his family to the Wyoming Valley, and settled on the Susquehanna River, about ten miles below Wilkesbarre, near the present town of Nanticoke. At the time of the dreadful Wyoming massacre his family took refuge in the old Fort Wilkesbarre block-house. The maternal grandparents of our subject were Samuel and Mollie (Ross) Dunbar. The former, who was a hero of the war of 1812, was a contractor and builder of iron furnaces and at one time owned the present site of the town of Slatington, Pa.
EORGE W. BRIGGS, whose home is situated on section 35, township 6, range 67 west, Weld County (about five miles southeast of New Windsor), is one of the pioneers of Colorado and California, and his life is replete with interest. A native of Columbus, Ohio, born May 20, 1834, he is a son of Henry and Sarah (Chambers) Briggs, who were from New York state, the former a farmer by occupation. In 1850 our subject and his father started for the gold fields of California, making the long four months' journey across the plains from St. Joseph, Mo., by teams, they finally settled in Sacramento and carried on a grocery and restaurant until, the father's health failing, they came home by way of the Isthmus of Panama, and up the Mississippi River. The father lived only eleven days after his arrival at home.
For a few years young Briggs worked on farms and once went to New York, assisting in driving a herd of cattle to the metropolis. In 1855 he went to Henderson County, Ill., where he found employment, and thence he proceeded to Clark County, Iowa. Remaining there for a year or so, he then drifted to Dakota County, Neb., and in 1858, when gold was discovered on Cherry Creek, Colo., he and George Williamson fitted out an ox-team and came west, arriving at their destination about November i. He erected a cabin on the Big Thompson River, about eight miles from New Windsor, and in December went to Boulder with the members of his company, now increased in number to about fifty persons. Going into camp there, they were the first settlers of the town, and during that winter built eight or ten cabins. In February, 1859, Boulder was organized and laid out in lots. Each citizen received seven lots and, being required to put up a house on his land, had to build it of logs, as there was no lumber to be obtained.
Gold was found at Gold Run, eight miles west of Boulder, and the members of the colony located claims there, Mr. Briggs having an interest in two such. He worked for different parties in the mines, at rates ranging from seventy-five cents to $2 a day, for a year or more. During this time he