Residence of Leslie Horsley, on his ranch, Livermore, Colo..
PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.
was united in marriage with Miss Charlotte Schofield, daughter of William H. and Mary E. (Downing) Schofield, natives of Nova Scotia. About 1870 her parents came to the United States and settled in Boston, but nine years later they came west to Kansas, settling in Central, where they remained until 1891. During that year they settled in Colorado, establishing their home near Canfield, but later moving to the Weisenhorn place, which Mr. Schofield has since cultivated. One child, Irene E., was born April 17, 1897, to the union of Mr. and Mrs. Prince.
From boyhood Mr. Prince has been firm in his allegiance to the Republican party and supports its principles by his ballot and influence.
ESLIE HORSLEY. Immediately adjoining Livermore is a ranch of some eight hundred acres, beautifully situated on Pine and Rabbit Creeks and Cache la Poudre River. The Lone Pine runs through the land, and furnishes water for its irrigation. It is devoted to the raising of grain and stock and is owned by Mr. Horsley, who came to the state in 1892, and was so well pleased with the country, climate and facilities for farming and stock-raising that he bought property, and now has one of the finest ranches in the country. He was born in Barton, Yorkshire, England, March 21, 1867, and is the son of Gen. Frank and Fannie (Cradock) Horsley.
His grandfather, Judge John Horsley, was a native of England, but moved to India, where he served as judge for the English government. The family were prominent in parliamentary circles, and a great-great-uncle, Bishop Samuel Horsley, was bishop of Worchester, and dean of Westminster, and was the last bishop to wear the wig. An uncle, Ralph Avelsem, was a magistrate in India, and was assassinated by the natives.
Gen. Frank Horsley entered the Indian army before Queen Victoria became an empress. He was in service in 1836, and served throughout the Indian mutiny. He was a member of the First Cavalry, of which only three were left after the mutiny, and later served in the Third Cavalry. He was retired with the rank of general. Returning to England, he lived on his estate in Gloucestershire. He was a member of the Masonic order. His wife, Fannie (Cradock) Horsley, was born on the Hartforth estate, near Richmond, England. She was a daughter of Col. Sheldon Cradock, who was a colonel in the English army, proprietor of Hartforth, and a member of parliament. She died at the age of fifty-six years, leaving two children: Meta, who married W. P. Gilpin-Brown, of Sidney, England; and Leslie, of Livermore, Colo.
Mr. Horsley was reared and educated in Edinburgh, Scotland. For three years after completing his education he gave his attention to farming and became an adept in agricultural pursuits. In 1892 he came to Livermore Park, and two years later bought the Landes farm of four hundred acres adjoining Livermore. The following year he purchased the Chase place, and still later bought an adjoining one hundred and sixty, making a large tract of eight hundred acres, in one body, of deeded land now owned by him. His land is well irrigated, he having extended the Chase ditch to bring more land under cultivation. He has about two hundred and fifty acres sown to alfalfa, and this is used in feeding his cattle, of which he raises large herds. He keeps large herds of beef cattle, consisting mostly of graded Herefords and Shorthorns. He also has some full-blooded Herefords, and a few jerseys. He has nice groves on his land, and the barns are of the most modern and convenient style, while the residence has been enlarged and improved in such a manner as to make a comfortable home.
Mr. Horsley married Miss Cora Saxton, an eastern lady, and a daughter of Mrs. J. H. Swan, of Livermore. They have two children, Dorothy Sylvia Meta and Frances Elizabeth. A wide-awake, shrewd man of affairs, Mr. Horsley is quick to see and take advantage of a plan that will benefit him. He was a charter member of the Larimer County Stock Growers' Protective Association. In religion he is identified with the Episcopal Church.
HARLES EMERSON, of Livermore, Larimer County, is the oldest settler in Livermore Park, and the junior member of the firm of Emerson Brothers, the wealthiest and among the most prosperous stock dealers in the county. Their ranch is located about two and one-quarter
PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.
miles from Livermore, on the Lone Pine, and consists of two thousand one hundred and sixty acres of fine land, all fenced and improved. It is irrigated by four ditches which carry the water from Pine Creek. The brothers were among the first to adopt alfalfa as feed, and try raising it for that purpose in this vicinity, and they have sown from four hundred to five hundred acres in alfalfa, which is used in feeding their herds of cattle; the latter they ship to the eastern markets, and derive therefrom considerable profit.
Mr. Emerson was born in New Hampton, N. H., November 5, 1849. He is a son of Samuel and Anna (Carter) Emerson, and a grandson of Nathan Emerson, all of New Hampshire. The grandfather was a farmer of Plymouth, where he died. The great-grandfather, Jordan Emerson, came from Newburyport, Mass., and was a soldier of the Revolution. He was appointed judge for his district by the continental congress. The Emerson family came from England early in the seventeenth century and settled in Massachusetts, whence they scattered to all parts of the United States. Samuel Emerson, who was a farmer in New Hampton, went to California in 1856, by way of Panama, and there remained four or five years, dealing in stock. He then returned to his native state, where he died in the ripeness of age, having attained eighty-two years.
For many years he was selectman, also served as tax collector, and represented his county in the state legislature for two terms. He was a member of the Masonic fraternity. His wife was Anna Carter, born in New Hampton, and a daughter of Levi Carter, also a native of New Hampshire, but a member of an old family of Massachusetts. She died at the age of eighty-one. Nine children were born to them: Mary, who died in New Hampton; Horace W., who resides in Maine, a partner of our subject, retired since 1893; Mrs. Laura Kelley, and Abbie, both of whom died in New Hampton; Almeda, Mrs. Curtice, of Bristol; Charles, of Livermore, the subject of this sketch; Francis A., of New Hampton; Ella and Auntha, who both died there.
Charles Emerson was educated in the public schools and best literary institutions to be found in New Hampton, and in the spring of 1869 started for LaPorte, Colo., by way of Cheyenne, and from there by the overland stage through the canon of the Cache la Poudre River. At Chambers Lake he accepted a position with the railroad company, and helped get out ties for the Denver & Pacific Railroad, of which his brother was foreman. They were engaged in that work from March until November of that year getting out one hundred and eighty-three thousand ties and running them down the Poudre to Greeley.
He remained with the company in charge of that department of work until the spring of the next year, when he and his brother went to Nebraska, bought some cattle at North Platte City, brought them to Colorado and established the ranch which they have since conducted so successfully. At that time the Park was unnamed, the creek was called Lone Pixie from one solitary tree which stood on its bank, and the name clung to that vicinity for four or five years until the postoffice was established in 1874, when it was called Livermore Postoffice and became Livermore, Park.
The name was chosen by a Mr. Moore who lived on the site of the present postoffice, and who had come there from Livermore, Me. When he settled there, one other settler, William Calloway, was there and had established a ranch on the north fork of the Poudre near the canon, where he lived until his death, a few years ago.
In 1877 Emerson Brothers moved to Wyoming and established a ranch near Fort Fetterman. This consists of eight hundred acres, all fenced, and large numbers of cattle were raised there, but of late years their cattle have been raised entirely on their large farm in Colorado. In 1883 they began to improve their property in this state, and bought of their neighbors, the state and the government, lands immediately adjoining them until they have their present farm of two thousand one hundred and sixty acres. They are among the most extensive cattle dealers in this part of the country, most of the stock being bred on the place, and consisting of Herefords and Short-horns, while a few are purchased for breeding. Their brand is the circle "O."
Mr. Emerson married Miss Alice Freeman, of Prospect, Me., June 11, 1877. Fraternally he is a member of Collins Lodge No. 19, A. F. & A. M. He was a charter member and is now treasurer of the Larimer County Stock Growers' Protective Association. He is also an associate member of the National Stock Growers' Association, and was a delegate to the Denver convention held in 1898, in January. In politics he is a
PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.
strong McKinley man, and was a member of the county Republican committee. In the fall of 1898 he was nominated for the office of state senator by the Republican party.
This sketch would be incomplete without a brief history of Horace W. Emerson, the brother who has been so intimately connected with our subject in all his business transactions. He was born in New Hampton in 1838, and engaged in the stock business before leaving there. In 1866 he went to Nebraska and secured work with a large contracting firm, Coe & Carter, the latter an uncle. They did work for the government and the railroads, and were at that time engaged in getting out railroad ties and other wood. He was made superintendent of the work and was sent to Sherman, Wyo., in 1867 or 1868. About this time the partnership was formed with his brother in the stock business, Charles taking charge of it. He was given charge of the contract of Coe & Carter with the Denver & Pacific Railroad in 1869, and continued with them until 1875. He also built the postoffice building for the government at Fort Lyon. From 1875 to 1893 his time was spent principally on his ranch, but at the end of that time he moved to Winterport, Me., where he now lives in retirement. He is a Mason and a Republican. He has been twice married, first to Miss Lizzie Freeman, of Maine, who died in Livermore, and afterward to Miss Marrietta Freeman, also of Maine, a sister of his first wife. They have one child, Dorothy.
OEL K. PALMER. In the beautiful valley of Clear Creek, between North and South Table Mountains, Mr. Palmer settled in 1860, and here he has made his home ever since, evolving a beautiful and finely improved fruit and garden farm out of the virgin soil. The surroundings are picturesque, the grand old mountains forming a background to a picture of peace and plenty. During the spring and summer months the place is a modern paradise, with its wealth of fruit-bearing trees, its gardens of strawberries and vegetables, and its air of thrift and prosperity. The improvement of the farm is due to the efforts of the owner, who since first coming here has done pioneer work in planting trees, finding what varieties of fruits best suit the soil and laboring to secure the best possible results from his land. He has introduced an excellent system of irrigation, by which water in abundance is furnished to his trees and garden.
The birth of Mr. Palmer occurred in Steuben County, N. Y., February 13, 1832. He is a descendant of an English family that was among the earliest settlers of Maine. His grandfather, Thomas Palmer, was born in Maine and from there went to the front as a soldier in the Revolution. The father, William, also a native of Maine, moved to Steuben County, N. Y., in early manhood, and there married Amanda Haines and engaged in farming. In 1837 he and his family traveled in a "prairie schooner" to Iowa, where he settled in Scott County, near Princeton, on the Mississippi. His remaining years were given to the cultivation of a farm there. He died at the age of fifty-four, and his wife when fifty-seven. They were the parents of ten children who attained mature years, and of these five are now living. One of the sons, David, enlisted in an Iowa regiment during the Civil war and died at Memphis while engaged in service. Another son, A. J., is living upon a farm near Laramie, Wyo.
The only member of the family in Colorado is Joel K., who was next to the youngest of the children. He was five years of age when the family removed to Iowa, and his education was limited to a brief attendance, during winters at a school taught in a log building, with slabs for seats and greased paper for window panes. In 1853 he started out for himself; having bought a farm near the old homestead, and there he engaged in farming until 1859. The news of the discovery of gold in the mountains led him to start westward. He stopped for a time in Blue Rapids, Marshall County, Kan., but the country and the prospects did not please him, and in the spring of 1860 he came further west, landing at Golden June 4. He had his team and wagon and $6.65 in money, with which he began life in the new country. As might be imagined, the work was by no means easy. He dug a small ditch on the land he secured, and began to irrigate and improve it; he also cleared the brush and trees from the bottom of the creek, making the land tillable. By degrees success came to him. His strawberries have become known as the finest in his section, and his apples and grapes are also of the best. He is the owner of a private ditch and
PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.
also holds an interest in two of the large ditches. Of his original tract of one hundred and sixty acres he still owns eighty-five acres the most of which is planted to orchards and gardens.
Mr. Palmer has had little time to study politics, but he believes that, from a common-sense point of view, the citizens of Colorado should favor the silver cause and he himself is an earnest supporter of bimetallism. He was united in marriage, in Iowa, with Miss Matilda Lewis, a native of Canada, and the daughter of William and Mary A. (Aukman) Lewis. They are the parents of six children: Charles, Mary, Nelson, Frank, Rose and Alice.
DAM RINNERT, a prominent and influential farmer of Elbert County, owns and occupies a beautiful homestead, located near the village of Kiowa. He has been a resident of the Centennial state for a score and eight years, and it is hardly necessary to state that in that length of time he has witnessed great and gratifying changes, and, in common with others who settled here at that time, has assisted in bringing this section to its present state of cultivation and civilization. His homestead, which consists of fourteen hundred and forty acres, is located near the town of Kiowa, and he also owns seventeen hundred and twenty acres near Elbert, this county. He came to this vicinity in moderate circumstances and has climbed up to his present position by his own industry, economy and perseverance. He has accomplished this by fair means and enjoys the confidence and esteem of the community of which he is a valued member. He was born in the city of New York, July 18, 1851, and is a son of Adam and Catherine (Lappa) Rinnert.
Our subject's parents were both natives of Germany, but were married in New York City. He was a shoemaker by trade and when our subject was about two years of age he moved to Colchester, Conn., two years later he moved to St. Catharine, and in 1862 to Port Crescent, where he bought a farm and carried on general farming in addition to working at his former trade. Our subject received a common-school education and in 1870 he came west and settled in Elbert County, Colo. At first he worked by the month, but later took up a large claim and engaged in farming; he sold his first claim and has since bought other property, and is one of the largest land owners of that community. Mr. Rinnert has been united in marriage twice. His first wife was Nannie H. Graham, by whom he reared three children, namely: Adam G., born in June, 1879; Mary Christina and John M. His first wife died in 1890, and later he married Mrs. Edith Caswell, a widow, with one child, Mila Edith, who resides with her parents and is attending school at Kiowa. The second union has been blessed by the birth of one son, Lewis Lent. The second wife of Mr. Rinnert, whose maiden name was Edith Lent, was the daughter of Lewis Thatcher and Caroline (Wattles) Lent, natives of Bradford County, Pa., and still residents of that state. Her father follows agricultural pursuits. Mrs. Rinnert owns two farms in her own right in Elbert County, aggregating one thousand two hundred and eighty acres. Politically our subject is a stanch Republican, and cast his first vote in 1876 for R. B. Hayes; in that year he was elected sheriff of Elbert County and served one term. He is a member of Elbert Lodge No. 86, I. O. O. F., and has filled all the chairs of that order.
EORGE PANKHURST. Having disposed of his business interests in Jackson County, Iowa, Mr. Pankhurst started for Colorado May 14, 1859, and crossed the plains with four yoke of cattle. Not being able to cross the river at Kearney, he and his brother-in-law, who accompanied him, rode to Laramie, where, after many difficulties, they finally succeeded in crossing. The ferry boat had been cut loose by deserting soldiers, and, in order to secure means of passage, they felled some large cottonwood trees, and by unloading and taking to pieces their wagons, effected a passage on their improvised boats. They proceeded to Boulder and on arriving at that place, began to look around for a suitable location. Their first camping place was between Russell and Gregory Gulch; where they took out as much as $1.80 a pan and they could have bought the property (known as the bob-tail lead) of four hundred feet, for a few dollars; but a few days later thirty-two feet sold for $8,000. After a few days, the pound diggings excitement broke out and they decided to try their fortune in the new place, which they did.
PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.
When the weather became too cold to permit further work in mines, Mr. Pankhurst went to Colorado City, where he built a cabin and engaged in hunting during the winter. In the spring he returned to the diggings in Breckenridge and resumed mining. During the seven years he remained there he met with varying success, working some days for $1.00 and other days taking out an ounce of gold. In 1865 he went back to Jackson County, Iowa, and built a sawmill, which he carried on for seven years, getting out lumber for the railroad. Later he engaged in farming. In 1880 he visited Colorado, but returned to Iowa after five weeks, and remained there for seven years, then made another visit to Colorado. In 1891 he brought his family to Colorado and settled in Breckenridge. Three years before he had secured valuable mining interests, and he is now half owner in the valuable property, the Puzzle group of mines, which is leased to parties operating them; he also owns other valuable mining properties. In June, 1897, he purchased his home of sixty-one acres on Prospect avenue, and since the fall of that year he and his family have lived here.
Mr. Pankhurst was born in Sussex County, England, April 20, 1826, a son of William and Sarah Pankhurst. He is one of the four survivors among thirteen children, his sisters and brother being Mary, Jemima and Joseph, all living in England. His father was born and reared in Sussex County, and, there learned the trade of a wheelwright, which he followed during the greater part of his life. His wife was a native of Kent, England. Their son, our subject, began for himself at sixteen years of age, and in company with a young man of about his own age, he emigrated to America, landing in New York May 10, 1842. From that city he went to Philadelphia and thence to Huntingdon, where he secured employment in a wagonshop; and in a short time he became known as the most skilled workman in the shop. After a time he resigned there and began to work in the Neff mills, where he remained until the spring of 1843. His friend then persuaded him to open a wagon shop of his own. He did a good business for two years and then moved his shop to Alexandria, Pa., where he remained for two years. While in the latter place he was united in marriage with Miss Susan Sisler April 18, 1846. The next year, his wife's people deciding to go west, he determined to accompany them and they went to Iowa, settling in Jackson County, where he and his brother-in-law carried on a blacksmith shop until they started for Colorado in 1839.
The children born to Mr. and Mrs. Pankhurst were seven in number, namely: Charles, deceased; Theodore; Lorett, Arabella and John, all three deceased; George and Alice.
OHN ROTHROCK. It is our pleasure to introduce in this biography a gentleman who was among the first settlers in the territory of Colorado; coming here in the year 1858, he is probably the oldest resident of Boulder County, and has seen the country develop from a wild, uncultivated waste, inhabited only by the wild beast and the Indian, to its present highly improved and civilized condition. He came to Boulder County with a party of prospectors, who built their cabins and began prospecting for gold. A band of Indians were camped near them and were quite friendly until they found that the white man had discovered gold, when they became very hostile and tried to drive then, from the country, giving them three days in which to leave. This the white men decided not to do, and as they had plenty of arms and ammunition they fortified some of the cabins, and determined to make a fight for their rights if necessary. After three days had passed, Old Bear, the chief of the tribe, came to the cabins to consult with them, saying he had had a fearful dream and interpreted it for them, viz.: The water in Boulder creek would rise, so he was informed by the Great Father, until it would overflow both the Indian and white camp unless an ox was slaughtered, in which case he would allay the flood." They made up their minds that if one ox was sacrificed they would have to kill them all, and refused. After a couple of days the Indians withdrew and left then, in peace. It cost something in those early times to buy the machinery needed on a farm; his first plow was made in Denver from boiler iron, and cost $7, while the second was made of cast iron and was brought, by freight, from the states, costing him $110. The first seed wheat purchased by him cost the moderate sum of twelve and one-half cents per pound, or $7.50 per bushel.
PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.
Mr. Rothrock is a native of Pennsylvania, born in Bellefonte, Centre County, April 3, 1834. His parents were Henry and Nancy A. (Rainsay) Rothrock. The family descend from Philip Rothrock, who was born December 8, 1713, near Worms, Germany, and emigrated to America in 1733. He was married seven years later to Catherine M. Kuntz, a native of Moravia. They settled at York, York County, Pa., where the grandfather, John Rothrock, was born February 18, 1744. He was twice married, first to Dorothy Gump, who left him two children, and the second time to Charity Worley, who was born at York February 20, 1759, and died March I, 1828, fifty-two years after her marriage. Her husband had died in 1805. Of the thirteen children born to them, Henry Rothrock, the father of our subject, was the third youngest, and was born January 5, 1792, in York, Pa. He learned the trades of tanner and plasterer, at which he worked during his early life, but later moved to a farm near Bellefonte, which he cultivated until his death, August 2, 1872. He married Nancy A. Ramsay, who was born in Milton, Pa., and died in Howard, that state. Of their six children, Joseph died young; Thomas is a physician of Eagleville, Pa., and was a surgeon in a Pennsylvania regiment during the war; David lives in Centre County, Pa.; John is the subject of this sketch; Ann Elita (Mrs. Long) resides in Howard; and Henry continues on the old homestead.
John Rothrock spent his boyhood on a farm, and received such schooling as was afforded by the public schools at that time. When he had reached his twenty-first year he went to Nebraska as a member of a surveying party, and helped survey the sixth principal meridian and the fifth sixth, seventh, eighth and ninth parallels of longitude. He was engaged in this work until 1858, when he joined a company of thirty-two who traveled by ox and horse-train, joined the Nebraska City Company near Kearney, and reached Boulder County in November of that year. He and John Hall surveyed the public square and the first one hundred lots in the place. The settlers built log houses, thirty-two in all, making quite a settlement. In the spring of the following year they discovered gold in the run at Gold Hill and embarked in mining. John Gregory got up a crowd to go to Summer Valley prospecting, but the trip was unsuccessful, and they returned to Boulder. Mr. Rothrock then went to Spring Gulch, Gilpin County, where he bought a claim of one hundred and fifty feet, which he operated successfully for some time, and then left in care of his partner, G. R. Williamson, while he went to Hamilton, South Park, thence to California Gulch, where he operated mines and lost considerable money. He then returned to Boulder, where he owned a farm, and began its cultivation, irrigating and otherwise improving it. He built the second ditch ever constructed in the state. This farm consists of four hundred acres eight miles south of Longmont, and is still owned by him and conducted as a general crop and stock farm. Part of this farm is operated by him and the remainder by his son. He also owns forty acres adjoining the city of Longmont, which is devoted to general farming. For several years he was interested in the mercantile business under the name of Williams & Rothrock, carrying a general line of dry goods. In politics he has always been a Democrat.
Mr. Rothrock married Miss Eliza C. Beuford in Denver. She was born in Schuyler County, Mo., and is a daughter of William Beuford, of Virginia formerly, but later a resident of Missouri. He was married in Virginia to Mary Ann Jones, and came to Denver in 1860 and engaged in business, freighting, and also built two quartz mills. He afterwards returned to Missouri, where he was interested in a woolen factory and a store, and then retired from active business life. Mr. and Mr. Rothrock have but two children: William H., who is living on part of the old homestead, and is a prominent member and a deacon of the Presbyterian Church; and John Edmund, who is a merchant of Lake City, being one of the proprietors of a dry-goods store there.
E. ROBILLARD, M. D. Less than three years ago this enterprising young physician and surgeon of Idaho Springs, Clear Creek County, took up his residence here and some time subsequent to that event established an office and commenced practice. He is doing finely, and is rapidly gaining the esteem of our citizens, as well as a large share of their patronage. The doctor is wide-awake and thoroughly in accord with the spirit of the times in all things, especially
PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.
in his chosen field of labor. He is an exponent of modern research in the medical and scientific world and is a great student, making it his aim to keep abreast of the age, in utilizing the methods and discoveries which are constantly being made in this direction.
About four generations ago the Robillard family was founded in Lenoraie, Quebec, Canada. As the name suggests, the Robillards are of French extraction. The great-great-grandfather of the doctor was a native of the province of Normandy, France, but decided to make a home for himself and family in the new world, and sailed across the sea. Locating in Lenoraie, Canada, he improved the first farm settled upon in that region, and on this old estate generation after generation of his descendants have been born, and have lived and died. The place is now owned and managed by the father of our subject, J. B. Robillard. The mother, a native of the same section of Canada, was a daughter of O. Page, who lived in that locality, as did her grandfather. Her great-grandfather Page was a native of France, and was one of the pioneers of Canada, and belonged to the agricultural class to whose labors much of the prosperity of the province is credited.
Dr. J. E. Robillard is the tenth child in a family of twelve brothers and sisters. Eleven of the number grew to maturity and four are deceased at this writing. The doctor was born on the old home-place of the Robillards, December 29, 1868, and grew up on the farm. He received his elementary education in the public schools of the neighborhood, and later was a student in the normal school at Montreal. After he had completed his classical and scientific education he took up the study of medicine and was a pupil in the Victoria Medical College for about one year. Then he went to Montreal, and in 1892 graduated from the La Valle University, with the degree of Bachelor of Medicine. After two more years of study he was granted the degree of Doctor of Medicine. About this time his zealous work as a student resulted in illness, and he returned to his old home, where it was hoped that the active out-door life of a farmer would prove of benefit to him. He remained there for eighteen months or more, but the rigors of Canadian winters were hard upon his system and in January, 1896, he came to Colorado.
Arriving in this hospitable state on the twelfth of that month he spent some five weeks in the town of Littleton, and in February landed in Idaho Springs, He was greatly impressed with the beauty and climate of this place and has steadily improved since coming here.
AMES T. PHILLIPS, justice of the peace of the town of Elizabeth, Elbert County, is also successfully engaged in the cultivation of the soil, owning one hundred and sixty acres of well-improved farming land in that vicinity. This popular and much respected citizen was born near Hagerstown, Del., March 9, 1840; his parents are Thomas J. and Catherine (Smith) Phillips. He was but five years of age when his parents drove across the wild and unbroken lands to the state of Ohio, where they remained one year, when they renewed their journey westward to the state of Illinois. They made a settlement in Whiteside County, and there our subject lived until he attained his manhood. He received his early mental training in the subscription schools of that county, and at the age of twenty years he taught one term of school; he then rented a small farm, and by the exercise of economy he succeeded in laying aside a large portion of his earnings, and later bought the farm, which consisted of eighty acres; later he purchased another eighty acres, for which he was obliged to go in debt to some extent, but soon paid it off.
About 1867 our subject moved to Geneseo, Henry County, where he took up his former occupation, and while a resident of that village he served as highway commissioner for three years. He was re-elected the following term but resigned his position in 1879, and moved further west on account of the poor health of his wife. Locating in Elbert County, Colo., he entered the employ of the railroad that ran through the town of Elizabeth, and later took up a tract of land, his present farm, and has since been engaged in agricultural pursuits.
Mr. Phillips chose for his life companion Miss Anna Elizabeth Schuck and they were happily united in marriage, June 9, 1861; as a result of this marriage five children were born, three of whom are living. George P. owns a ranch near Elizabeth, and is the father of two children; Ida M. is the wife of Richard Clow, of Elizabeth,