PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.
daughter of John P. Bartle of this place and is a sister of Mrs. Libbie Williams, of Central City, who is mentioned elsewhere in this volume. Mrs. Richards was born in Cornwall and by her marriage has become the mother of two children. Georgia is living with her parents; and Lucretia died when but three years old. The family are connected with the Episcopal Church.
HRISTIAN MANHART is the owner of Keystone ranch, comprising eighteen hundred acres, located six miles from Sedalia, Douglas County. He was born near Catawissa, Columbia County, Pa,, April 30, 1835, a son of Philip and Sarah Manhart, natives of Alsace, Germany. A few years after their marriage his parents emigrated to America and settled in Philadelphia, where the father followed the wheelwright's trade; later, however, he removed to a farm near Catawissa, in Columbia County, where the remainder of his life was passed in agricultural pursuits. He died there in 1861 and his wife passed away seven years later. Of their seven children three were born in Germany, one on the ocean, and three in the United States. Five attained years of maturity and four are still living, Christian being the youngest. Philip, who is the oldest, is still living in Columbia County, Pa.; Frederick, a retired business man, resides in Knoxville, Iowa; and John Michael makes his home at Roaring Creek, Montour County, Pa.
In boyhood our subject was given fair schooling advantages. At the age of sixteen he began to learn the carpenter's trade with his oldest brother at Plymouth, Luzerne County, Pa., and at the close of two years of apprenticeship he began to get journeyman's wages. When only nineteen, April 23, 1854, he married Miss Sarah Barney, who was born in Plymouth, Luzerne County, Pa., a daughter of Henry and Susan (Keller) Barney. November 6, 1856, Mr. and Mrs. Manhart started for Iowa and arriving in Marion County, settled in Marysville, where he commenced to work at his trade. In the spring of 1860 he drove through to Colorado with an ox-team, in company with a party of emigrants, spending forty-five days on the road. In Park County he engaged in various pursuits, mining, prospecting, working at his trade, and during one season carrying mail once a week from Buckskin to Montgomery, Park County. He came to his present place in 1866 and bought a claim of one hundred and twenty acres, to which he added, by preemption and homesteading, as well as purchase, until he acquired his present acreage. The log cabin in which he first made his home is still standing. Since 1883 he has made his home in a substantial frame residence. At one time he had two hundred head of cattle, but since the range has become limited, he has reduced the number to one hundred and fifty.
In the fall of 1868 the neighborhood in which Mr. Manhart lived was disturbed by the Indians, In the afternoon word was received that the Indians were coming. At nightfall Mr. Manhart loaded his wife and children into a wagon and drove to Denver, where they remained during the winter, Mr. Manhart and his hired help staying on the ranch. They lost considerable in the line of clothing, provisions and stock, on account of the Indians, and were obliged to guard their possessions and do their work with arms always within reach.
Of the children of Mr. and Mrs. Manhart we note the following: George W., who was born at Plymouth, Luzerne County, Pa., is engaged in the mercantile business at Sedalia, his sketch appearing elsewhere; John F., who was born in Marysville, Marion County, Iowa, died in Colorado March 6, 1885, his death being the result of having been accidentally thrown from a horse; Alice Susan, who was born in Park County, Colo., married Arthur H. White, and lives near Sedalia; Clara B., who was born in Douglas County, is the wife of William O'Brien, living near Williamsburg, El Paso County, Colo.; they have five children; Henry P. was born on the home farm and still resides here; October 26, 1898, he married Mary A. Lowell, of Sedalia, a daughter of Charles and Lydia E. (Bowman) Lowell; Anna C., Mrs. William Burke, lives in El Paso County and has one child; Alphonso is at home; and Frances C. married Matthew Rogers, of Eldora, Colo.
Although his father was a Democrat, our subject became a Republican. He did not vote at a presidential election until 1876, when he cast his ballot for R. B. Hayes. He was elected sheriff in 1874, upon the organization of Douglas County and served until the fall of 1875, being the first
PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.
elected after the division of the county. In Park County he served as a constable, and also held the office in Douglas County both before and after he served as sheriff. During the administration of President Hayes Mr. Manhart held the office of postmaster at Sedalia. For twenty-five years he has served as a school director. Through his assistance the schools of his section have been promoted and the system of teaching advanced. He is a friend of the public school system and gave his children the best advantages possible, not only in local schools, but also in those of Denver. Though reared in the Lutheran Church, he supports the Episcopal Church and assisted in building St. Philip's Church near his home. In 1872 he became identified with Weston Lodge No. 22, A. F. & A. M., at Littleton, with which he has since been connected. He is also a member of the Association of Colorado Pioneers and Plum Creek Camp No. 226. As a citizen he is progressive and public-spirited, and justly occupies a position among the most prominent and influential men of his county.
EORGE W. PARFET. Gold and silver mining is known the world over as a great industry in Colorado,. but comparatively few know anything concerning the clay mines of Golden. George W. Parfet, of Golden, is the pioneer clay operator, miner and shipper of Colorado. The great clay deposits he against the foot of the mountains and have assumed an almost vertical position. They contain various kinds of clay, viz.: Plaster clay, fire clay, fire sand and a red clay used in the manufacture of vitrified brick. There are also fine veins of silica running near the clay veins. The mines have been opened and are provided with tunnels, siding to railroads and other conveniences for the facilitating of the work.
The Parfets are of British origin. George Parfet, father of our subject, was born in Wales, but came to America in boyhood and began to work in the coal fields of Pennsylvania. For some years he was engaged in operating mines in the anthracite coal regions of Schuylkill and Northumberland Counties, and later worked in iron mines in Juniata County. In 1874 he brought his family to Ralston, Colo., where he was among the first to engage in coal mining in a practical way. He followed the business for a few years, until failing health obliged him to retire from active work. He died in 1881, when about fifty-eight years of age. He was a practical miner and knew every detail of the business. During the Civil war he was a member of a Pennsylvania regiment that served in the Union army.
Three times married, by his first wife George Parfet had one son, James, who is now proprietor and editor of the Gillett (Colo.) Forum. His second wife was Lavina Matter, who was born in Dauphin County, Pa., the daughter of a farmer of that locality. She died in Pennsylvania, and of her six children four are living: John, who lives in Denver; George W.; Benjamin, living in Gillett, El Paso County, Colo.; and C. E., of Golden. The third marriage of Mr. Parfet united him with Sarah Morgan, of Pennsylvania, now residing in Golden. Of this union five children were born, namely: Isaiah M., Mrs. Emma Fisher, Mrs. Ella McLean, Rhoda and David.
The subject of this sketch was born in Juniata County, Pa., October 5, 1858. Until fourteen years of age he was a student in public schools, but at that time he began to work in iron ore mines. He came with his father to Colorado in March, 1874, and afterward engaged in coal mining until 1877, when he turned his attention to clay mines. He still operates the mines near Golden that he leased and opened, and where he has leased a tract of one hundred and twenty acres. In 1879 he opened the Apex mines, which he has since operated.
December 13, 1882, in Golden, Mr. Parfet married Mattie Bates, who was born in Tennessee, the daughter of M. L. Bates, who removed from the south to Colorado and settled in Golden. Mr. and Mrs. Parfet own and occupy a residence on Ford street. A member of the silver Republican party, he has been active in party affairs in Jefferson County, has served as a member of the county central committee, and for one term was alderman of the second ward. He was appointed general road overseer of Jefferson County by the hoard of county commissioners and served two years. At this writing he is a member of the board of education for district No. and its treasurer. In the Methodist Episcopal Church he is a trustee and steward; also superintendent of the Sunday-school. He is a past officer in the
PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.
Independent Order of Good Templars, a member of the Temple of Honor, the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, and the Patriotic Order Sons of America.
UDGE GEORGE FAHRION has attained prominence as judge of Elbert County, in which capacity be has efficiently served for many years. He is a highly esteemed resident of Kiowa, and an extensive land owner in this county. He is of German birth, having been born in Wurtemberg, April 16, 1836. George Fahrion was reared in a suburb of Leonberg. He obtained his intellectual training in the public schools of that country, which are everywhere recognized as the best in the world, and there became a fluent speaker of the Latin and French languages. In 1853, at the age of sixteen years, he emigrated to America, and as he came in the spring of the year, encountered many bad storms on the passage here. Landing in New York City in April, he immediately went to Buffalo, N. Y., where he secured employment in a factory. One year later he moved into the country and engaged in agricultural pursuits, making a specialty of gardening, and subsequently he started for Detroit by way of Lake Erie. As it was in December, the lake was unusually rough, and the boat, heavily loaded with over a hundred horses, foundered; after a perilous twenty-four hours they were rescued by a passing boat, and continued on their way to Detroit, Mich. Remaining in that city for three or four years, in 1859 he decided to cross the plains to Colorado, but upon reaching Leavenworth, Kan., he encountered so many returning with tales of bad luck that he became discouraged and decided to remain where he was. He accepted a position hauling for the government to Fort Laramie, and in the summer of 1860 continued to Colorado, where he engaged in mining at French Gulch, and later in Gilpin County. He continued until September, 1861, when he enlisted as a private in the First Colorado Volunteer Infantry, and served for three years and three months. He saw hard service, mostly in New Mexico, and on the frontier from Texas to Utah, taking an active part in many engagements and having many narrow escapes from death.
Upon receiving his honorable discharge at Denver in November, 1864, our subject settled on a squatter's claim in Elbert County, and after the survey of 1866 he secured by pre-emption a tract on section 8, township 8 south, range 63 west. Later he homesteaded one hundred and sixty acres and acquired a timber claim, having in all four hundred and eighty acres. He has since purchased other lands from time to time, and at present owns some one thousand two hundred and eighty acres of valuable land. In political belief he is a firm Democrat, but prior to 1872 was a supporter of the Republican party. In 1868 or 1869 he was elected justice of the peace and served in that capacity for nearly four years; he was later elected judge of Elbert County, an office for which he is well qualified and has since retained. He has frequently been called upon to represent his district in different party conventions. By the impartial and straightforward course he has pursued in the discharge of his duties, he has not only retained the support of his constituents, but gained favor in the eyes of his party opponents.
July 19, 1865, Judge Fahrion married Miss Elizabeth Swena, of Denver, who was born in Whiteside County, Ill., and their union resulted in the following issue: George A., a stock-raiser on Comanche Creek, Elbert County; Thomas, a teacher, who obtained his education in the public schools at Greeley; Frank, a stockman living near Elbert; Frederick, who is clerking for Russell Sage at Peyton, Colo.; Alice; and Paul, who is living at home. Our subject is a man of high moral character, and has many friends throughout that section.
AMES BLAND, who has been postmaster of Bland, Elbert County, since 1883, and is also engaged in ranching in this county, was born in Westmoreland, England, in 1840, and is a son of James and Agnes (Berry) Bland, natives of the same place as himself. His father, who was a descendant of an old family of England, was connected with public works in his native land throughout his entire life, and there passed away, his wife having died some years previously.
Our subject, who was the only child of his parents, was educated in Cheshire, England. At the age of twelve he began to work for himself, his first work being railroading with his father, who had an excellent position. He spent sixteen years in the same business, after which he
PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.
came to America, landing in this country June 1, 1870. Proceeding to Omaha, he was there connected with the Omaha & Southwestern Railroad about eighteen months. In 1872 he came to Denver and in 1873 settled on the ranch which he still owns. This he has stocked with cattle, principally Herefords. The place is situated on Wilson Creek.
In 1860 Mr. Bland married Miss Mary Lockyear, a native of Broadclist, Devonshire, England. They are the parents of two daughters: Annie, wife of Clarence H. Wood, who is engaged in ranching near Mr. Bland's place; and Ada, who is with her parents. Politically Mr. Bland favors the policy adopted by the Republican party in its dealings with matters, at home and abroad. He has witnessed the growth of the county from its first start, and has contributed personally not a little to the development of its resources.
ATSON E. COLMAN is engaged in general farming and the dairy business on the old Burrel ranch, in the northern part of Jefferson County, Colo. In the fall of 1884 he brought his family to Colorado and after spending the winter in Golden, in the spring of 1885 purchased his present property. It consisted of one hundred and sixty acres, to which he subsequently added a tree claim of eighty acres, making his ranch two hundred and forty acres in extent. He has been largely instrumental in promoting the growth of Broomfield and was the prime factor in starting the Caledonia cheese factory in this village, where is manufactured the best cheese in the state.
A member of an old Revolutionary family, Mr. Colman was born in Vassalborough, Me., April 19, 1837. He is the sole survivor of six children born to the union of Jeremiah and Mercy C. (Doe) Colman. The origin of the name Colman is peculiar. Many years ago there was a company of the king's body-guard who were so noted for their daring horsemanship that they were called "Coltmen" and from that the name was merged into its present form. During colonial days our subject's great-grandfather came to America from England and settled in Newburyport, Mass., where he reared his family. Some of his sons were soldiers in the Revolution and took part in the battle of Bunker Hill. The grandfather, Joseph Colman, was a native of Newburyport, Mass,, and from there moved to Vassalborough, Me., where he married. On the division of the family property, he had been given his share of the estate in colonial money, and with it he bought a forest tract on the west side of Weber pond, where he took up one hundred and sixty acres. There his death occurred when he was about eighty-four years of age.
The father of our subject was born in Vassalborough, Me., in 1808, and there resided until 1850, when he removed to Athens, in the same state, and in that place he remained for eighteen years. His next place of residence was Newport, Me., and there he died. He was a skilled mechanic, and followed carpentering, wagonmaking and blacksmithing, also engaged in farming. He was seventy-four years of age when he died. He was married three times, and, ten children born of his third marriage are still living, namely: Omar M., of Golden, Colo.; Ozias T., who lives in Manchester, N. H.; Rose, wife of Charles French, of Tewksbury, Mass.; Greenleaf and Obed, of Manchester, N. H.; Lelia, whose husband, Rev. Walter Prince, is a graduate of Yale and a minister in the Methodist Church; Nellie, of Manchester; Cora; Wesley, who lives on the home farm in Newport, Me.; and Jeremiah, of Portland, Me.
At the age of twenty our subject went to Lewiston, Me., where he learned the machinist's trade. He worked as a journeyman with the Franklin Company, builders of cotton and general machinery. March 20, 1861, he married Julia A. Sanford, daughter of Ezekiel and Sophronia (Carr) Sanford, and a member of an old Revolutionary family. Her father, who was born and reared in Palermo, Me., engaged in farming and lumbering as long as he lived, and died at the age of eighty at Bradford, Me. Shortly after his marriage our subject moved to Portland, Me., and took a position with the Portland Company, Locomotive and Marine Engine Works, and for three years worked as a journeyman; afterward he took a contract with the company and was given charge of the heavy machinery in the lower room, which important position he held for twenty-three years. His especial work, besides locomotive and marine engine work, was the fitting of wheels of the locomotives and cars and during all the time he was thus engaged he never had a
PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.
loose wheel. On account of the poor health of his daughter, in 1884 he resigned his position and came to Colorado, where he has since resided.
Mr. and Mrs. Colman became the parents of two children. Their daughter, Helen Isabel, born December 19, 1864, was given an excellent education and became an accomplished musician; she possessed a beautiful character and was beloved by all who knew her, so that her death, March 11, 1890, was a deep bereavement, not only to her parents and brother, but also to her many friends. The son, Ralph W., who was born July 23, 1866, is the proprietor of the Silver Standard Flour and Feed Mills, at Broomfield, his specialty being wheat, graham, rye, graham-rye flour, corn meal and whole wheat flour. In politics our subject is a Republican. Since 1863 he has been a member of the Masonic fraternity, belonging to Ancient Landmark Lodge, in Portland, Me. Since 1871 he has been a member of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows and since 1874 has been identified with Bramhall Lodge, K. of P., both in Portland, Me.
EORGE H. YOUNG, the well-known merchant of Evans, Weld County, was born in Columbus, Ohio, February 12, 1844, being a son of William H. and Maria (Biddle) Young, natives respectively of Charlestown, W. Va., and Wales. His father spent the larger part of his active life in Ohio, where he was engaged in contracting and building at Columbus. He died at the age of seventy-three years. His wife passed away at Columbus, when seventy-one years of age. Of their seven children all but two are living. They are George H.; Mary E., the widow of E. B. W. Lawrence, of Columbus; Charles I,., of Springfield, Mass.; Margaret, wife of G. F. Ramsey, Plains City, Ohio; and Joseph W., who is living in Columbus.
Mr. Young acquired his education in the public schools of Columbus, Ohio. At the age of thirteen he entered the employ of John Zettler, a grocer of that city, with whom he remained until 1862. He then enlisted in Company A, Ninety-fifth Ohio Infantry, and served in the western division of the army until the close of the war. In the battle of Richmond he was wounded in the left arm and was taken to a hospital, where he remained for some time, first as a patient, and later as a nurse. Under General Grant he participated in the Vickshurg campaign, being on hospital detail mainly. He was captured in Mississippi and confined in Andersonville, Millen, Blackshire and Thomasville prisons, altogether, for more than nine months. In April, 1865, he was aboard the "Sultana" going from Vicksburg with twenty-two hundred prisoners, when the vessel blew up near Memphis, Tenn. Out of the entire number of prisoners, only seven hundred escaped, and many of these were frightfully wounded, and died later from their injuries. Mr. Young sustained serious injuries through being scalded by steam.
After being mustered out at Columbus, August 14, 1865, Mr. Young entered a business college at Columbus, and on the completion of the course there he became an employe of J. W. Pope, with whom he remained about two years. He was afterward variously employed until 1872, when he came west to Kansas and located at Atchison, where he followed the carpenter's trade. After a short time he went back to Ohio. In 1873 he started for Colorado, believing that this climate would relieve him of asthma, with which he suffered. He arrived in Denver June 1, and a few days later reached Evans. Shortly after coming here he bought out Davis McMechan, dealer in furniture and coal, and until 1895 he carried on the business. Meantime, however, he became interested in other enterprises. About 1885 he embarked in the mercantile business, which he has since conducted. He has also bought an interest in the Central City Mining Company, and owns two farms near town, upon which he engages in farming and stock-raising. He is a stockholder in the Union and Independent Ditch Companies, and has served as a trustee in the former.
In politics a Republican and active in local affairs, Mr. Young has served his town as mayor, alderman and treasurer. For six years he held office as justice of the peace, and for one year served as county commissioner. As president and treasurer of school district No. 15, he has been helpful in promoting educational work in his section, and he also assisted in the erection of the State Normal School building at Greeley. Fraternally he is connected with Prosperity Lodge No. 109, I. O. O. F., and Weld Encampment;
PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.
also the Woodmen of the World and May Camp No. 5, I. O. R. M., of Ouray. He has held all the offices, up to and including that of commander, in William T. Sherman Post, G. A. R., of Evans and in the National Encampment has been appointed an aide on the staff of the department commander of Colorado and Wyoming.
The first wife of Mr. Young was Martha, daughter of James Mills, a native of Wales, who died in 1881, leaving five children: Grace E.; Cora L., wife of A. H. Storer; Sarah M.; William D., who married Etta Robinson, a native of Illinois; and Edna M., wife of Theodore Ennes. In 1889 Mr. Young married Miss Lydia C. Herriott, daughter of George Herriott, who came from Ohio in an early day and settled upon a farm in Weld County. This union is blessed with three sons, George P., Edwin H. and Benjamin U.
AMES H. POTTER, M. D., was one of the brave boys in blue during the Civil war, and suffered wounds and untold hardships in order that the Union might be preserved. He stands deservedly high in his profession. He is treasurer of the Boulder County Medical Society, a member of the Colorado State Medical and the American Medical Association, and formerly, when in Illinois, was connected with the Central Illinois Association, being its president for some time, and held a similar responsible office in the DeWitt County Medical Society. Ten years ago he opened an office and established himself in practice in Longmont, and has been very successful in building up an extensive business.
The paternal grandfather of the doctor was a soldier of the war of 1812 on the American side, and was a resident of Washington County, Pa. The parents of our subject were John and Jane (Boyce) Potter, both natives of Washington County, Pa. The father was a manufacturer of farm implements and wagons, and made some of the first cast-iron plows ever used in this country. A firm in Pittsburg, Pa., still manufacture plows under his name. He also made a reputation as the maker of the large "Conestoga" wagon, once in very extensive use in the east. In 1846 he moved to West Union, Ohio, and turned his attention to agriculture, and later he settled in Wapella, DeWitt County, Ill., where he operated a farm until his death, when in his sixty-sixth year. His wife also died on the old Illinois homestead. Three of their sons offered their services to their country, and one of them was sacrificed on the altar of liberty and the Union. He, their eldest born, David S., was killed at the battle of Stone River. He was a sergeant in the same company as were the subject of this sketch and another brother, R. B., who is now an assayer in Boulder. William, a physician, died in 1852, in West Union, Ohio. The only daughter, E. B., is the wife of Rev. John Wilson, of Longmont.
Dr. J. H. Potter was born March 1, 1843, in Washington County, Pa., and received his education in the public schools and Salem Academy. In August, 1861, he enlisted in Company D, Twenty-fourth Ohio Infantry, and among the battles in which he participated were Pittsburg Landing, Perryville and Stone River. The engagement at Stone River began on the last day of 1862 and waged furiously for three days or more. On January 2d, toward evening, Dr. Potter was wounded by a ball which struck his right leg above the knee, shattering the bone, so that sixty pieces have since been taken out. He lay on the battlefield from Friday night until Sunday noon, without any attention, save that rendered him by his brother, R. B., who at last found him and brought him some water. Then followed a long and painful period of intense suffering, covering seven months spent in hospitals here and there, for he was transferred from one to another as the exigencies of war made advisable. On July 28 he asked for his discharge from the George Street Hospital, Cincinnati, and, it being granted him, he started for home on crutches. Two weeks afterward he resumed his interrupted studies in Salem, but more than five years passed ere he could walk without crutches.
After young Potter had made considerable progress in medical studies under the direction of Dr. P. W. Davis, of Wapella, Ill., he entered the Ohio Medical College in Cincinnati. During his course in that institution he taught school and practiced medicine at intervals, thus working his own way through college. He graduated with the degree for which he had striven so bravely, in 1870, and for seventeen years practiced in Wapella. The winter of 1872-73 he took a postgraduate course at his alma mater, and since coming to Longmont, in 1888, he has taken an
PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.
other graduate course, going to Rush Medical College, Chicago, for three months' special study, in 1894. In 1887 he moved west to Denver, and within a year he concluded to become a permanent citizen of Longmont. He practices medicine in general and surgery in all its branches.
The marriage of D. Potter and Miss E. B. Williams took place in Wapella, Ill., in 1873. Mrs. Potter was born in Farmington, Ill., and is a daughter of J. C. Williams, now of Parsons, Kan. Harry J., eldest child of the doctor and wife, has been in the medical college of the University of Colorado for three years and will graduate in 1899. He was a member of Company C, First Colorado Regiment of National Guard, and participated in the Leadville campaign. Frank S. is employed in the office of the Longmont Daily Times as a printer. Jennie and Eva, twins, were born February 29, 1884; and Mabel is the youngest of the family.
In Wapella, Ill., Dr. Potter was commander of Seward C. Nelson Post, G. A. R., for three terms, and was a member of the Odd Fellows' society. He belongs to the Longmont encampment, and in company with his wife has taken the degree of Rebekah. He is medical examiner for the Ancient Order of United Workmen and is a member of the Union Veteran League. Religiously he is a Congregationalist, and politically he is a true-blue Republican.
EV. JOHN J. DONNELLY, pastor of the Catholic Churches in Georgetown and Silver Plume, was born in Bruce County, Ontario, Canada, November 1, 1862, and is a son of James and Ellen (Desmond) Donnelly, both of whom are living in the home county engaged in agricultural pursuits.
Father Donnelly was the third child of a family of eight, and was educated in the public schools of Ontario during his early years, and then entered St. Jerome College, of Berlin, Ontario, in the fall of 1883, graduating four years later. He then became a student of the Grand Seminary at Montreal, from which he graduated in 1890. He was ordained by Bishop Dowling May 31 of that year, at Hamilton, for the Hamilton diocese, and was assistant in Arthur for one year. Following that he was assistant in the cathedral at Hamilton until 1892, in May, when he was transferred to the Colorado diocese, and was made pastor of St. Patrick's Church at La Junta and the congregation at Las Animas. He remained in this charge five months, and during that time built the St. Mary's Church at the latter place, raising the funds to pay for it. From there he went to Montrose, where he remained three months, and then located in Ouray as pastor of St. Patrick's Church of that place, at the same time retaining charge of Montrose and adding Ridgeway and Ironton to his circuit. While here he paid off the indebtedness of the churches at both the latter places and placed them on a sound footing. In 1894 he took charge of La Junta, Las Animas and Rocky Ford. During his absence a fine stone church had been partially erected, but owing to financial embarrassment, remained incomplete. Father Donnelly completed the church and placed the parish on a sound financial basis.
Owing to the low altitude his health gave way and he was sent to Glenwood Springs, in the hope that he might recuperate there. He remained pastor there five months and then took a vacation of four months, which he spent in southern California. He then returned to Colorado and took charge of the church at Grand Junction, remaining there eight months. In September, 1897, he was transferred to his present charge in Georgetown, Our Lady of Lourdes and St. Patrick's Church at Silver Plume. The church in Georgetown has a fine property and controls several societies. The parochial school is taught by sisters of St. Joseph, and the hospital, which is carried on in connection with the church, is in charge of six sisters of St. Joseph. A branch of the Ancient Order of Hibernians is held here, although the headquarters of the society are at Silver Plume.
The church was started in the summer of 1871 by Bishop Matz, of Denver, who preached to the first congregation. Father Foley then took charge for a short time and was followed by Father McGraw, who built the first small frame church, and afterwards erected the walls of the brick edifice. Father Howlett was in charge but a few months and gave way to Father Matz, now Bishop Matz, who furnished the church and built the parsonage, school and hospital. He was here eight years and was dearly beloved by his people. Next in order were: Fathers M. J. Carmody, Lea, Volpe, Hickey, Morrin and Howlett,
PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.
who again returned to this charge. Father Pickle was in charge eighteen months, and was followed by Father Donnelly, who is doing much to strengthen the church, and has made many friends outside of his own denomination.
HARLES K. WOLFE is one of the representative citizens of Georgetown. Since coming here he has been connected with W. J. Chamberlain and Frank Dillingham in the Georgetown Ore Sampling Works, the firm being known as that of W. J. Chamberlain & Co. The partners bought out the old firm of Duncan & Wheeler, who were conducting a public sampling plant. Mr. Wolfe has been the manager of the concern from the start and it long since became one of the leading and successful enterprises of this county. The plant has a capacity of sixty tons daily, and is equipped with all kinds of modern machinery and inventions.
Mr. Wolfe was born in Kittanning, Armstrong County, Pa., January 12, 1860, and was but four years of age when he was left an orphan. He was then taken into the family of his paternal grandparents, who lived upon a farm in the vicinity of Kittanning. The grandfather, Joseph Wolfe, was a native of Pennsylvania, and by trade was a carpenter and builder; which occupations. he followed in connection with managing his homestead. The father of our subject, King Wolfe, was also a Pennsylvanian, his birth having occurred in Armstrong County. In his early manhood he learned the blacksmith's trade and this vocation he continued up to the time of his death. He received injuries while shoeing a horse, from the effects of which he never recovered, and his life was brought to a close in 1864. Three mouths subsequently his devoted wife, whose maiden name was Mary Grimm, followed him to the grave. She, too, was a native of Pennsylvania, and with the exception of Charles K., all her children, eight in number, are residents of that state.
When he was eight years old the subject of this sketch accompanied his grandparents to Dixon, Tenn., and there he was educated in the public schools. In 1873 he returned to his native state and entered a drug store at East Brady, at the same time attending school a portion of the year. From 1877 to 1879 he lived in various towns, Petrolia, Millerstown and Fairview. In February, 1879, he came to Leadville, Colo., and later took a position as a clerk with Mr. Brownyard, in Georgetown. The craze for mining gradually took possession of him, and he tried the business for a short time on Red Elephant Mountain. Then he bought a grocery at the town of the same name and carried on business there for eighteen months. To his efforts it was due that a postoffice was established there and he was made the first postmaster. This position he resigned, and, returning to Georgetown, clerked for Tucker Brothers for several years. The partnership of Eagle & Wolfe was next organized, their business being located on Sixth street. The firm dealt in clothing and furnishing goods, and prospered. Mr. Wolfe found, however, that the altitude was not beneficial to his health, and he sold out and went to Deliver. After spending some months in prospecting above Aspen, Colo., he and a Mr. Jacobson embarked in the grocery business at the corner of Sixteenth and Fremont streets, Denver. Three months later our subject sold his interest and turned his attention to real estate. In 1889 he went to Nevada, and bought ore for W. J. Chamberlain & Co., chiefly in the vicinity of Austin and Eureka. In this manner he became connected with the gentlemen with whom he is now associated in business. He owns a half-interest in Clark's Magnetic Mineral Springs, of Pueblo, quite a health resort. The firm of Clark & Wolfe is engaged in bottling the waters of this noted health-giving spring, and has built up a good trade.
February 8, 1883, Mr. Wolfe married Miss Eva M. Conway, in Georgetown. She is a native of Browning, Ill., and, with her parents, Martin and Caroline (Hollingsworth) Conway, came to this city in 1874. The three children born to our subject and wife are: Adda Gertrude, Caroline Emma and Charles J. The son died when but two years old.
Since 1897 Mr. Wolfe has been master of Georgetown Lodge No. 48, A. F. &. A. M. He is also a member of Georgetown Chapter No. 4, R. A. M., and Georgetown Commandery No. 4, K. T. The other orders to which he belongs are the Odd Fellows (Harmony Lodge No. 18), the Ancient Order of United Workmen (Georgetown Lodge No. 7) and the Red Men (Mohican Tribe
PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.
No. 54). Up to 1896 he was a stalwart Republican, but since that time has been active in the Democratic party, being the chairman of the town committee.
NSIGN S. WRIGHT, a representative citizen of Georgetown, has been longer engaged in the drug business than any one in the state of Colorado. He erected the first stone building in this place in the year 1869, and soon after coming here he embarked in the jewelry business, which he has continued to the present time. His own store, occupied all these years, was constructed thirty years ago by him, and thus he and his business are landmarks of Georgetown. No one here has been more earnest in the support of everything tending to the improvement and progress of this immediate section, but he has persistently refused to accept public office. Politically a Republican for years, he espoused the platform of the People's party during the last campaign. Since the organization of the State Pharmaceutical Association he has been identified with the same.
Mr. Wright comes from an old Massachusetts family. His paternal grandfather, Washington Wright, was a native of the state mentioned. The parents of our subject were Simon and Eunice (Brown) Wright, natives of Wendall, Mass., and Buxton, Me., respectively. Simon Wright was engaged in the grocery business in the outskirts of Boston, near Cambridge, up to the time of his death, which event occurred in 1823, when he was in the prime of life, scarce twoscore (sic) years old. The faithful mother, thus left to provide for her family of six children, bravely shouldered the burden and lived to see them useful members of society. She died in 1842, in Boston. Of her children, Eunice Moulton, Mrs. Hall, who died July 11, 1898, aged eighty-one years, for several years made her home with our subject. A brother, Simon Flood Wright, was a detective officer in the employ of the United States government for many years, recruited soldiers at Governor's Island, and was accidentally killed on the Colony Railroad in 1867. Louisa, Mrs. John Davey; William R., a pharmacist; and Sarah J., a school teacher, who died in 1840, are the other members of the family.
E. S. Wright, the youngest of his family of brothers and sisters, was born in Boston, June 13, 1826. He was educated in the old Mayhew school, and in 1846 he commenced serving an apprenticeship to his brother, the druggist. March 19, 1855, he was granted a pharmacist's diploma and became a partner of his brother. The latter opened a new drug store, of which he took charge, while he left E. S. to manage the old store. This partnership continued until 1866, when E. S. Wright came to Colorado, sending before him a stock of drugs to Empire. Upon reaching that point he built several structures there and kept a store until 1868. Georgetown was then giving great promise for the future, and he concluded to establish himself in business here. In addition to his numerous other enterprises he has been more or less connected with real-estate transactions, and has been instrumental in building up the town.
The first marriage of Mr. Wright was with Miss Mary E. Wright, who was born in Pepperell, Mass., and was a daughter of Levi Wright, a contractor and builder of that state. Mrs. Wright died December 27, 1865, leaving one child. This daughter, Isabella Frances, born in Boston, September 19, 1359, is the wife of P. J. R. Manegold, of Georgetown. The second wife of Mr. Wright was formerly Mrs. Mary E. Blinn. She was born in Brookline, N. H., a daughter of Jonas Lawrence, and for a time lived in Boston, but subsequently came to Georgetown and was here married. She had three children by her first husband. The two daughters are living in Denver. Her death occurred at her home in this city April 4, 1892.
HARLES FISHER ANDREW, M. D., is one of the rising young physicians and surgeons of Boulder County, and though he has been engaged in practice in Longmont but four years he has gained a reputation for skill and knowledge of his professional duties. He is professor of medical jurisprudence, hygiene and preventive medicines in the University of Colorado, is a member and the treasurer of the pension board and was city physician during 1897. In these several capacities he has acquitted himself in a most creditable manlier, bringing clown upon himself the warmest praise of those who are competent judges and critics. He is the examining physician for the Knights of the Maccabees, the