PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.
Ancient Order of United Workmen, the Fraternal Aid Society, and the Bankers' Life Insurance Company, of Des Moines, Iowa. He is a member of St. Vrain Lodge No. 23, A. F. & A. M., Longmont Chapter No. 8, R. A. M., and to Long's Peak Commandery No. 12, K. T., and also of Longmont Hose Company No. 1. Professionally he is connected with the Boulder County Medical, the Colorado State Medical and the American Medical Associations, and is also a member of the alumni association of the Missouri Medical College.
The birth of Dr. Andrew occurred in New Salem, Pike County, Ill., January 7, 1871. He is the eldest of the six children of John and Harriet (Fisher) Andrew, the others being: Harry B., a graduate of the Missouri Medical College in the class of '96, and now associated with our subject in practice in Longmont; Maude, Alice, John, Jr., and William, all in the parental home in Illinois. Dr. Harry B. is a member of various medical societies and is connected with the Masonic order. John Andrew, Sr., is now engaged in conducting a mercantile business in New Salem, Ill., as he had been for the past thirty-five years. During the Civil war he served in the Union army as a lieutenant in Company K, Ninety-ninth Illinois Volunteers, and participated in the siege of Vicksburg, after which campaign he was mustered out by special order. He is a native of Lincolnshire, England, and came to this country in early manhood, taking up his residence in Pike County, Ill. His wife was born in Williamsville, Ohio, and is a daughter of Daniel Fisher, who was a native of Pennsylvania, later removed to Ohio, and about 1840 settled in Illinois, where he pursued his trade of gunsmith until shortly before his death.
Dr. Andrew had excellent educational advantages in his youth, finishing his studies in Northern Illinois Normal School at Dixon. He was but seventeen when he commenced teaching, and for four years he gave his chief attention to that calling. During this period he took up the study of medicine, and for some time was under the tutelage of Dr. S. O. McKinney, who had a sanitarium in Barry, Ill. The young man also pursued his higher studies at Lombard University, Galesburg, Ill., for two years. In 1892 he matriculated in the College of Physicians and Surgeons in Chicago, and spent a year there. The World's Fair then coming on, he accepted a position as a Columbian guard for a few months. His medical course was completed in the Missouri Medical College, of St. Louis, Mo., in 1895. He had the honor of being president of his class, and was one of seven students out of a class of seventy-eight who received special distinction on account of excellence of scholarship. Soon after his graduation he removed to Longmont to succeed Dr. J. J. Topliff, the old family physician of his own people. The venerable doctor had just died, and our subject took up his practice, and from the first met with gratifying success. In June, 1896, the doctor married one of the charming daughters of Longmont, Miss Mary U. Tyrrell. She is a native of this place, was educated in the public schools and academy here, and is the only daughter of Hon. J. W. Tyrrell, one of our popular citizens.
ON. JOHN F. VIVIAN, deputy superintendent of insurance for the state of Colorado, is among the most prominent citizens of Golden, where he has made his home since 1879. He was born in Phoenix, Houghton County, Mich., December 9, 1864, the son of Joseph and Mary (Tresidder) Vivian, natives of England. His father, who came to the United States in youth, was one of the pioneer miners of copper and iron ore in the northern peninsula of Michigan, where he died in 1867. His wife, who accompanied her parents from England at an early age, settled with them in the northern part of Michigan, where her father was a man of considerable prominence and influence. The year after her husband's death she came to Colorado, where she afterward married Robert Bunney, and now resides in the vicinity of Golden. She has a son and daughter, the latter being Ida, wife of Theodore Merkle, of Golden.
When a boy Mr. Vivian worked upon a farm, but upon reaching his majority he entered the mercantile business. He has always been interested in politics and has taken an active part in public affairs. In recognition of his services in behalf of the Republican party, he was in 1890 tendered the office of postmaster. In 1893 he was elected clerk and recorder of Jefferson County, defeating a man who had held the office of county clerk for twenty-one years. Two years later he was re-elected, this time by a majority
PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.
of eleven hundred out of a total of three thousand votes cast in the county, it being the largest majority ever given any candidate in the county. He held the office until February 14, 1897, when Auditor Lowell appointed him deputy superintendent of insurance for the state. In 1897 he attended the national convention of insurance commissioners held at Old Point Comfort, Va., and in September, 1898, expects to attend the convention at Milwaukee. In his present position he is said to be just in his rulings, accurate in his decisions and faithful in the discharge of every duty. His official reports are models of accuracy, system and correctness. To his work he brings a conscientious desire to do what is best and wisest, in view of the circumstances.
In 1896 Mr. Vivian was elected a delegate from the first congressional district to the national convention of the Republican party. He took an active part in the exciting scenes of that famous meeting, doing all within his power to secure recognition of the cause of silver by the convention. In this effort he united, under the leadership of Senator Teller, with A. M. Stevenson, C. H. Brickenstein, of Conejos County, J. M. Downing, of Pitkin County, Dr. J. W. Rockefellow, of Crested Butte, F. C. Goudy, of Denver, and Judge Hart, of Pueblo, all of whom left the convention hall when monometallism was championed by the party. Fraternally he is connected with Golden Lodge No. 10, K. of P., in which he is past chancellor. He was united in marriage, in Golden, with Miss Addie E. Higgins, who was born in this city, the daughter of John A. and Emily Higgins, early settlers of Jefferson County from Hendricks County, Ind. They have two sons, John C. and Chauncey.
ROF. EDWARD F. HERMANNS, principal of Denver high school district No. 2, was born in Cologne, Germany, December 15, 1846, and is a son of Capt. Jerome and Jacobine (Halm) Hermanns. In 1854 he accompanied his parents to America, lauding in New York after a voyage of fifty days on a sailing vessel. The father had previously been captain on a steamer running from Rotterdam, Holland, to Mannheim, Baden, on the Rhine River, and he had also served for three years in the German army. Settling in Milwaukee, Wis., he engaged in the livery business. In 1861, at the first call for volunteers, he enlisted in the army and served throughout the war in the body guard of General Fremont, taking part in the campaigns of Missouri and Arkansas and being slightly wounded at one time. After the war he moved from Milwaukee to St. Louis, where he engaged in various occupations, and later went back to Milwaukee, dying there November 12, 1875. His wife died during their residence in St. Louis.
Professor Hermanns received the greater part of his education at the German and English Academy in Milwaukee, known as "Engelmann's school," from which he graduated in 1863. From there he went to Germany and entered the Royal Polytechnic Institute at Aix-la-Chapelle. After graduating from this institute he returned to America and became instructor in mathematics in the academy in which he had been a student some years before. Later, for a year, he taught in a female academy in St. Louis and then was principal of a school in Nashville, Ill., for two years. On account of illness he was obliged to discontinue this work and return to his father's home in St. Louis, where later he taught Latin and German in the High school. In 1870 he accepted a position in St. Charles, Mo., and the following year was made Principal and Superintendent of the city schools, holding this position until July 1, 1882. In 1875 he was elected County Commissioner of Public Schools, which position he held for four successive terms, until 1882. On resigning his various offices he entered the government service as United States Assistant Engineer. As United States Assistant Engineer Mr. Hermanns worked along the Missouri River, assisting in its improvements and having much of the responsibility of its management. In 1886 he became an assistant in the Kansas City High school, though he still retained some connection with the United States Engineer Office. From Kansas City, in 1891, he came to Denver, where he has since been connected with the schools. In St. Louis County, Mo., in 1877, he married Miss Evelina Weber, daughter of C. Henry and Elizabeth T. Weber. Her father was founder of the oldest music house west of the Mississippi River, having established the firm of Baliner & Weber, which still exists in St. Louis. They are the parents of one son, Francis E., who was born in St. Charles, Mo., graduated from the
PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.
West Side Denver High school in 1895, and is now a student in the Massachusetts Institute of Technology in Boston, a member of the class of 1899.
In religion Professor Hermanns is a Unitarian. For two terms he served as president of the State Association of County Commissioners of Missouri. He aided in founding the Colorado Schoolmasters' Club, of which he was the first president. He has also been president of the Colorado Superintendents and Principals' Round Table and High school and College Section of the State Teachers' Association, and a member of the Colorado Educational Council from its beginning, said council being the governing body of the State Teachers' Association. He represents the Schoolmasters' Club in the Executive Board of the Educational Alliance of Denver. He was elected president of the Department of Secondary Education at the meeting of the National Educational Association, held in Washington, D. C., in July, 1898.
OHN SCOTT WILSON enjoys the distinction of standing among the foremost of the prosperous farmers of Douglas County, in which county he owns seven hundred and sixty acres of well-improved land, and his home is located on section 22, township 7, range 66 west. He was born in Holmes County, Ohio, December I, 1847; his parents are James and Dorcas A. (Miller) Wilson. James Wilson was a blacksmith by trade, and early in life moved to Marion County, Iowa, and located in the town of Swan, where he continued his occupation; later he embarked in the mercantile business, but is now living in retirement, and his two sons are carrying on his business; he is now past his seventy-seventh birthday. The mother of our subject died October 19, 1897.
John Scott Wilson was three years of age when his parents moved to Iowa, and he was reared to manhood in the village of Swan. His high-school education was supplemented by a course in Simpson's Seminary at Indianola, and by one term in the college at Pella. At the age of twenty-one years he began teaching school, and taught one term in Iowa, and after coming to Colorado in 1876 he taught three terms in Douglas County. He then turned his attention toward agricultural pursuits and has since been engaged in general farming and stock-raising. Gradually adding to his first purchase, he now owns seven hundred and sixty acres, having purchased one hundred and sixty acres on section 24; one hundred and sixty acres on sections 22 and 23; One hundred and sixty acres on sections 14 and 15; and one hundred and forty acres on section 21. He is one of the enterprising and progressive members of his community; is regarded with great consideration and respect in his section, and has done well his part toward the development and advancement of Douglas County.
The first vote of Mr. Wilson was cast for Grant in 1868; he is now serving his fourth term as justice of the peace, and of all the cases tried before him, only one has been appealed and reversed, and that one was due to the fact that there was no evidence introduced before our subject on the part of the defense, but it was afterwards introduced when tried in the county court. In religious views our subject is a member and a liberal supporter of the Methodist Church, and has been a class leader and superintendent of the Sunday-school of that church. Fraternally he is a member of the Ancient Order of United Workmen No. 27, of Castle Rock. January 31, 1873, he married Mary E., daughter of Jonathan and Elizabeth (Beam) Drake, of Swan, Marion County, Iowa. To them has been born one child, a daughter, Nellie Grace, born January 31, 1884, in Douglas County, Colo.
LFRED PETERSON, of Elbert County, resides on section 34, township 10, range 64 west, near the village of Elbert. He was born in the southern part of Sweden, November 2, 1844, and is a son of Per and Mary (Person) Larson. His boyhood years were spent in farm work and in attendance upon local schools. In 1870 he came to America via Liverpool to New York, spending eleven days on the ocean. After a short time spent in New Jersey he went to Connecticut and secured employment from a contractor, with whom he worked in a stone yard and also in a lumber yard.
In 1871 Mr. Peterson came to Colorado, where he worked in a sawmill and also got out lumber for railroad ties. In the fall of 1873 he took up a homestead of one hundred and sixty acres on section 32, where he remained about sixteen
PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.
years, meantime placing the land under cultivation. From time to time he has purchased other property, until his landed possessions aggregated fourteen hundred and eighty acres. Here he raises general farm products and also a high grade of Shorthorn cattle.
July 19, 1879, Mr. Peterson married Miss Anna Olson, who was born in Sweden and with whom he became acquainted in Denver. They are the parents of twelve children, namely: Arthur Leonard, who was born December 31, 1880; Conrad, August 1, 1882; Alger C., February 15, 1884; Fritz A., December 19, 1885; Axel Edwin, August 17, 1887; Julius Arnold, June 16, 1889; Karl Otto, November 11, 1890; Ninian Valfred, January 28, 1892; Theodore Emile, June 1, 1893; Anna Elvina, October 30, 1894; Per Talof, April 11, 1896; and Knut Torwald, January 3, 1898. The family are identified with the Lutheran Church, in which Mr. Peterson is an active worker and to which he has given liberally. In politics he is a Republican.
LBERT WOLFF, a prosperous and progressive farmer of Jefferson County, residing two miles south of Arvada, was born in Mount Pleasant, Jefferson County, Ohio, December 29, 1846, a son of John B. and Caroline Jane (Hedges) Wolff. He was one of ten children, of whom four besides himself are now living. They are: Hiram G., living in Highlands, a surburb (sic) of Denver; John, who lives four miles north of Denver; Charles H., of Boulder; and Elvira, wife of Rudolph A. Leimer, general agent for the Pacific Express Company, at Denver.
Joseph Wolff, grandfather of our subject, was born in Pennsylvania and when quite young enlisted and served in the war of 18,2. Hiram and Hannah Hedges, the maternal grandparents of our subject, were born in Virginia. John B. Wolff was a native of Virginia and in early life studied dentistry, medicine and law. When his son, Albert, was two years of age he returned to the Old Dominion from Ohio and settled in Wheeling, where he operated the first steam printing press ever run in Wheeling. In 1858 he removed with his family to Kansas, where he had previously sought a suitable location. However, in 1859, when the gold fever broke out in Colorado, he joined the throng of emigrants that crossed the plains to the mountain regions of the west. Some months later he returned to Kansas and made final arrangements to move to Denver, where he settled in the spring of 1860. His family did not join him here until two years later. With the eye of a keen observer he saw that gardening would prove profitable and decided to embark in the business. Settling two miles west of our subject's present location, he spent two years there and then purchased the property now owned by Albert. In the years that followed he accumulated much valuable property and at the time of his death was well-to-do. Politically a stanch Republican, he took a leading part in the shaping of local political affairs wherever he made his home, and was one of the organizers of the party during the '50s. While in Virginia he stumped the state against old Governor Wise. He was also prominent in the antislavery fight in Kansas in 1857.
At the time of his death, Mr. Wolff was engaged in the practice of law in Washington, D.C. He was a man of broad learning and was recognized as one of the best-informed men of his time. As he was proficient in law, so too he was earnest in religious work, and for years officiated as a minister in the Methodist Episcopal Church. In his circuit riding, in early days, he rode over the prairies where Chicago now stands; but the few log huts and prairie grass that grew five feet tall gave no promise of the mighty city that was to be.
In the public schools of his home neighborhood, which were inferior in all respects to those of the present day, the subject of this sketch received his education. When his father left the home farm in 1868, he and his older brother took charge of the place, which they purchased the following year, and for eleven years they carried on the homestead in partnership. On dividing their interests, the brother took the property in Highlands and our subject retained the home farm. The latter, in 1894, built a beautiful and commodious residence, which, with its substantial farm buildings and neat grounds, makes one of the most attractive homes of the county.
February 7, 1878, Mr. Wolff married Mrs. Mary E. (Royce) King, daughter of Phineas W. Royce and a native of Ohio. Her father was born in New York, and for some years resided in Ohio, whence in 1864 he came to Colorado. Mr. and
PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.
Mrs. Wolff are the parents of two children: Chester A. who is attending the high school in his home neighborhood; and Percy H., a bright boy of nine years.
The political affiliations of Mr. Wolff are with no especial party, for he supports the men and measures he believes to be best adapted to promote the welfare of the people. In religion he is of the Presbyterian faith, but in the absence of a church of that denomination in the neighborhood, he and his family attend the Methodist Episcopal Church. He is identified with the Clear Creek Valley Grange, of which he has been master for nineteen years.
A. HAGGOTT, the highly esteemed superintendent of the Idaho Springs schools, is a fine scholar, and still devotes a great share of his time to self-improvement in that line. He came to this state in 1887, when a young man, and has pushed his way rapidly to the front of public educators, winning a deservedly popular place in the public esteem. He is a native of Ohio, born in Sidney, that state, May 18, 1864. His parents were Benjamin P. and Margaret (Gamble) Haggott. The first of the name in this country came from England and settled with the Salem Colony, in that town, in 1836, and some of them were killed in the colonial and Indian wars. The great-grandfather, William Haggott, was born in Andover, Mass., was a soldier of the Revolution, and lost his life in the battle of Bunker Hill. The grandfather, also William, was born in the same town and moved to Conway, N. H. He was major in a New Hampshire regiment, and after his term expired, in 1814, he took his family to Ohio, first to Cincinnati, and later to Hamilton, Butler County, that state, where he died at the age of sixty-three years. He married a Miss Pearl, whose father fought in the Revolution and was with Arnold on his expedition to Quebec. He died in New Hampshire.
Benjamin P. Haggott was born in Conway, N. H., and went with his father to Ohio, where he lived until his death, in 1881. During the Civil war he served as hospital steward of the Fifty-fourth Ohio Infantry. He married Margaret Gamble, of Xenia, Greene County, Ohio, a daughter of Samuel Gamble, who came from Pennsylvania to Ohio in his early days, and fought in the war of 1812. Her grandfather was a Revolutionary soldier. Her mother was a member of the Gordon family who moved from Virginia to Kentucky in early times and later went to Ohio; her grandfather Gordon was also a soldier of the Revolution. She died in 1876 in Ohio.
Mr. Haggott was elected superintendent of the schools of Idaho Springs in 1890, and he has since been retained in the position. His work here has been of the most satisfactory character, and he has raised the standard of the schools, making them most thorough. He established the high school with a four years' course, and held his fourth annual commencement in 1898.
December 29, 1897, he married Miss Lou Willie Cecil, of Columbia, Tenn., whose family were originally from Cecil County, Md. He is president of the Clear Creek Valley Teachers' Association, and a member of both the State and National Educational Associations. That he is a young man of great energy and industry is evidenced by the fact that he worked his way through college, and studied law while teaching, so mastering the subject that he was admitted to the bar in Denver June 15, 1892. However, he devotes his entire time to educational work, and promises to become one of the most prominent educators in the state.
ARQUIS VICTOR, of Sedalia, Douglas County, was born in northern France, near Avesues, December 14, 1839, a son of Francis Dennis and Rosine (Mercier) Victor, the former of whom was an engraver and also for years served as a soldier in the French army. When our subject was a boy of nine years he ran away from home and sailed before the mast, going to Jersey Island and thence crossing the ocean to Newfoundland, Boston, and other West Atlantic ports. Returning to Europe, he sailed through the Mediterranean to Naples, from there to the island of Madagascar on the east coast of Africa, thence to London and finally back to Jersey Island. Upon receiving his pay he started home, but the absence of three years and his seafaring life had so changed him that his father, whom he met on the road near his old home, failed to recognize him. Without disclosing his identity, he
PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.
proceeded to Belgium, and there began to learn the shoemaker's trade, but his boss being a man of very low character, he left him and began to learn the blacksmith's trade with another man. He remained for three years as an apprentice, during which time he received only eighty cents a month until the last year, when he was paid about sixty cents a day.
When about seventeen years of age Mr. Victor began to work as a journeyman. After two years he concluded to go home and see his parents. This time, as before, his father failed to recognize him, but his mother, after a few minutes' conversation, knew him, in spite of all changes. For three days he enjoyed a visit with old friends, then returned to Belgium, but after a few months he left and went to London, from there to Jersey Island, and finally crossed the Atlantic to New Brunswick, thence to Quebec, where he worked at his trade for a year or more. On coming to the United States in 1861 he followed his trade in New Hampshire. While there he enlisted in Company H, Fifth New Hampshire Infantry, and served for nine months, afterward joining the Sixteenth Regular Infantry and serving three years. He participated in many battles and had many narrow escapes. On one occasion, in a battle, his clothing was shot through, but not a single bullet penetrated his flesh. At another time he was captured by the Confederates, but soon succeeded in effecting his escape. For meritorious service he was promoted to be corporal. He was honorably discharged at the expiration of his time.
Upon the close of the war Mr. Victor returned to New Hampshire, but soon came west to Chicago, thence to Grand Haven, Mich., and in 1867 migrated to Colorado, where he worked on a railroad and also in a sawmill. In 1874 he settled in Sedalia, where, with only a few tools, he opened a blacksmith's shop. From that small beginning he worked up a large and profitable trade. He now owns the finest brick house in Sedalia and also has a ranch of seven hundred acres, which he secured as a soldiers' homestead and by pre-emption in part, and the remainder by purchase. His residence was bought in 1876 and is substantial and commodious.
In 1876 Mr. Victor married Miss Marjorie Monteith, who died in 1892, leaving no children. November 1, 1894, he married Miss Joanna Failing, daughter of Henry and Abigail (Casey) Failing. She was born in Nemaha City, Neb., but was brought to Colorado at five years of age, and has since resided in Douglas County.
For years Mr. Victor voted the Democratic ticket, but in 1896 he gave his support to William McKinley for president. For twenty-two years he served as a school director, but, other than that, he has refused official positions. He was reared in the Catholic faith, but his wife is a Methodist, and they support that denomination. Fraternally he is connected with J. G. Blount Post No. 65, G. A. R., in which he is past commander, and is also aide-de-camp in the department of Colorado and Wyoming.
ENRY H. GANDY. The gentleman whose name stands at the head of this sketch came to Douglas County, Colo., in 1884, and is now residing on a fine homestead consisting of three hundred and sixty acres, located on section 23, township 10, range 66 west, six miles east from the town of Greenland. He was born in Hunt County, Tex., January 6, 1860, and is a son of Sheppard Miles and Drusilla (Hulse) Gandy.
Henry H. Gandy was six years of age when his parents moved to Cherokee County, Kan., and there he worked on his father's farm until 1883; his parents both died in that county and he was nine years of age when his mother passed from this life. He is one of a family of ten children, seven sons and three daughters, seven of whom are now living. As his father was poor, our subject at the age of twelve years was compelled to battle for himself; he worked out and received a fair salary, and, as most do, he failed to lay aside a part of his earnings. He rented a small piece of land in Cherokee County and followed farming until 1883, when he drove to Pueblo, Colo. He and his family departed from Cherokee County June 5, and arrived at Pueblo July 6; camping along the road-side made their journey somewhat longer, but nevertheless the more enjoyable.
Their stay in Pueblo was very brief, as they soon left for Manitou, where our subject worked at grading a road; the following summer and fall were spent working at various jobs at the Divide, and his family lived in the wagon a number of months and later they moved to a log cabin. Up
PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.
to the month of January our subject worked at digging potatoes, but in that month he returned to Manitou, and later went to Oak Creek, where he visited an old friend. In the spring of 1884 he rented a farm in Douglas County, but soon afterward bought the place, which consisted of one hundred and sixty acres; by his successful methods of farming, he succeeded in accumulating enough funds with which to purchase more land, and is now the proprietor of three hundred and sixty acres. He is regarded as one of the substantial farmers of Douglas County, and enjoys the respect and good will of his neighbors and acquaintances.
Mr. Gandy was joined in marriage January 6, 1878, at Joplin, Mo., with Miss Mary A. Smith, a native of the state of Kansas. A family of six children was the result of this happy union, namely: Luther K., born in Cherokee County, Kan., March 12, 1883; Lula E., born in Douglas County, Colo., August 19, 1885; Lilie B., born October 29, 1888; Lee Noah born March 26, 1893; Lydia Mary, born May 8, 1895; and Lena C., born June 2, 1897. Our subject is an ardent Republican and cast his first vote for James O. Blaine in 1884.
AMUEL ARMSTRONG, a pioneer of Colorado, left Illinois for the west April 14, 1866, making the long trip across the plains with a team of mules, and arriving in Denver June 9. Soon after he reached that city he embarked in freighting from Cheyenne to Denver and the mountains, which he continued up to 1871. He then came to his present place, two and one-half miles east of Longmont, in Weld County, where he took up eighty acres of land and began the life of a farmer. He has since given his time to the cultivation of the place, upon which he raises the usual farm products common to this locality. The son of William and Barbara (Pitman) Armstrong, our subject was born in Bedford County, Pa., November 9, 1832. He was one of eight children, all of whom are deceased except himself and a sister, Henrietta, wife of Seymour Knapp, of Garden Plains, Ill. His father, who was a native of Pennsylvania, grew to manhood there, engaged in farming, and made that state his home until death. Samuel was reared on a farm and received common-school advantages.
In 1849 he came west as far as Whiteside County, Ill., where for some years he worked as a farm hand. Afterward he rented land and farmed for himself. On the breaking out of the war his sympathies were at once enlisted on the side of the Union. August 9, 1862, he enlisted in Company F, Ninety-third Illinois Infantry, and took part in the battle of Champion Hill and the siege of Vicksburg. After the surrender of the latter city he was taken ill and sent north, where he remained until the close of the war, and was mustered out of the service at Detroit, Mich., July 5, 1865.
Returning to Illinois on his discharge from the army, Mr. Armstrong spent the winter of 1865-66 there, and in the spring of 1866 came to Colorado, where he has since made his home. As a farmer he is energetic and capable, with a determination to succeed no matter what obstacles stand in his path; as a citizen he favors measures for the benefit of the people and the advancement of local interests; as a friend he is accommodating and helpful. In political matters he advocates Republican principles and supports this belief by his vote at elections.
Mr. Armstrong has been twice married; first, in 1858, to Sarah E. Davis, of Albany, Ill., and to them one child was born, Belle, now the wife of Dr. Sammis, of Chicago. In 1878 he married as his second wife, Mrs. Jemima Maddux, who was born in Ohio, but has been a resident of Colorado since 1866. By her first marriage, which united her with Peter Maddux, she is the mother of six children now living, namely: James, of Alamosa; Catherine, wife of J. Harrison Kent, of Clinton, Mo.; John S., of Leadville; Mary A., wife of James Mason, of Larimer County; Maria S., wife of John Hodgson, of Niles, Mich.; and I. Oliver, of Delta, Colo.
AMUEL B. SMITH, of Castle Rock, Douglas County, was born in Pomeroy, Meigs County, Ohio, September 21, 1849, and is a son of Isaac Barker and Susan (Stevens) Smith. His father, also a native of that county, spent his entire life upon a farm there. The family consisted of seven children, six of whom are still living, Samuel being the youngest of these. He was so young when his mother died that he has only a faint, dim remembrance of her, and when
PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.
he was ten death deprived him of a father's care. Afterward he was taken care of by his older brothers and sisters. By working during the slimmer months he was enabled to pay his tuition in a select school, which he attended for two winters.
In 1871 Mr. Smith became an apprentice to the blacksmith's trade in Pomeroy, at which he worked for three years, during the first year receiving his board only, but for the next two years receiving $16 a month and his board. In 1876 he went to Marshall County, Iowa, where he secured employment upon a farm, but after a year began to work at his trade in Durant, that state. In 1878 he opened a shop of his own, but a year later moved to Colorado, settling in Denver, where his first work was at chopping wood. Later he worked at his trade in Castle Rock, where, in January, 1881, he bought his present shop.
The marriage of Mr. Smith, July 12, 1881, united him with Miss Nellie Sellars, of Castle Rock, but a native of Jefferson County, Colo., and a daughter of John C. and Nancy (Wiggins) Sellars, now living in Colorado Springs. When she was only two weeks old her parents moved to Douglas County, and here she has since resided. Her five children are: Nora, Dollie, Etta, Samuel Aaron and Hugh Bernice.
Since casting his first vote for U. S. Grant in 1872, Mr. Smith has always supported Republican principles. He served as city marshal and was trustee from 1883 to 1894, after which, for two years, he held the office of mayor. He is now master workman of Castle Rock Lodge No. 27, A. O. U. W.
TEPHEN BUTLER is manager of the Farmers' Mill and Elevator Company, of Longmont, which plant is the largest and finest one of the kind in northern Colorado. He is a natural mechanic and his genius n fitting up and managing machinery makes him just the one for the position he occupies. The large and growing business transacted by this company is something remarkable, and for some time it has been necessary to run the mill night and day, in order to meet the demand for its products. Mr. Butler is a director in the company and is financially interested in the Longmont Reduction Works, as well. He is a silver Democrat, and was one of the trustees of this city from the spring of 1894 to the spring of 1898, or for two terms.
The Butlers were originally English, and settled in Virginia in colonial times. The grandfather of our subject was John Butler, born near Richmond, and a planter in later life. In 1801 he settled in Knox County, Ohio, and founded the town of Mount Vernon, where he died at the age of eighty-seven. He was a farmer and stock-raiser in the Buckeye state. His eldest son, Stephen, was a soldier in the war of 1812. Jesse Butler, father of our subject, was born in Ohio in 1807 and was a farmer, also. He took up his abode in Holmes County in 1848 and subsequently lived in Allen County, Ohio. In 1874 he went to Iowa, with his son Stephen, and died in the vicinity of Creston, about two years later. His wife was a Miss Eliza Caddington in her girlhood. She was born in Genesee County, N. Y., and died in Iowa when in her seventy-fourth year. Three of their sons were in the Union army during the Civil war, David in the Thirty-fourth Ohio Infantry, Lewis in the First Ohio Cavalry and John in the Eighty-fourth Ohio Infantry. David died in the Buckeye state; Lewis is a resident of Indianapolis and John lives in Missouri. Henry, the third son, is now in Nebraska. Simon was accidentally killed by the upsetting of a wagon, which caused a log to fall upon him. Thomas Jefferson lives in Longmont. Helen, the only daughter, is a Mrs. Munch, of Iowa.
Stephen Butler was born in the neighborhood of Millersburg, Ohio, November 11, 1832, and as he was the oldest child he was of great aid to his father in the work of the farm and had but meager school advantages. When he was twenty-two he started out to make his living independently and during the next score of years he cleared and improved two farms. He also worked at the carpenter's trade, which he picked up by his own wit, and soon could handle tools with the best. In 1874 he went to Creston, Iowa, having traded his property for an improved farm. He was quite successful in his new undertaking and in 1879 turned his attention to carpentering in Oberlin, Kan.
July 25, 1881, Mr. Butler came to Colorado, and, locating upon Left Hand Creek, proceeded to cultivate a farm in Boulder County. A por-
PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.
tion of the time he took contracts for building in Longmont, and assisted in the construction of the opera house here. He also erected several residences in Boulder and in 1886 was one of the incorporators of the Farmers' Mill and Elevator Company. He superintended the construction of the mill and when it was finished was made chief engineer, and had charge of it for seven years. March 13, 1893, he was given the position of manager and has since efficiently acted in that office. He takes just pride in the mill, which is equipped with full roller process, thirteen stands rolls, two boilers, of one hundred and twenty-five horse-power each, and all necessary modern machinery. The capacity of the elevator is about one hundred and twenty-five thousand bushels, and in the storage room of the null twenty thousand sacks of grain are kept on hand, for the mill has a capacity of eight hundred sacks per day, as it was materially enlarged in July, 1898. A switch connects the plant with the Denver, Gulf and Burlington & Missouri River Railways, and about fifty carloads are shipped each month from the mill and elevator. Colorado wheat is used almost exclusively and the celebrated brand "Pride of the Rockies" originated here and, needless to say, is the flour of the highest reputation in the state. Other first-grade brands manufactured here are "Pride of Longmont" and "Free Coinage," while next in quality are "Pride of the Mountains" and "Perfected." In 1898 the company purchased a mill at Canfield, Boulder County, refitted it, and are now running it successfully. Various kinds of feed and chops are made in these mills and find ready sale. A large quantity of flour is sold to freighters across the mountains, and thus mining camps all through this section are supplied with the best products of the land. Much of the credit of this enterprise is certainly due to Mr. Butler, who is faithfulness itself in looking after the company's interests.
The first marriage of Mr. Butler was with an Ohio lady, Miss Mary J. Taylor, daughter of John Taylor, a farmer of Knox County, Ohio. Mrs. Butler died in Longmont, in June, 1893, leaving four children: Willis, a farmer; Mrs. Alice Wheeling, of Windsor, Colo.; Mrs. May Jennings, of Jennings, Kan.; and Elmer, who is second miller in the mill with which his father is connected. The lady who now bears the name of our subject was formerly Miss Rosalia Walker, a native of Wisconsin, and who has lived in this state since 1881. Mr. Butler is past officer of St. Vrain Lodge No. 23, A. F. & A. M.; likewise of the chapter, and is a Knight Templar and member of the Order of the Eastern Star. He belongs to the Christian Church.
OHN W. WHOWELL is the owner of four hundred and eighty acres, all under cultivation, and lying in Weld County, near Berthoud. He is also a stockholder in the Hillsboro Irrigating Canal Company, of which he is the present treasurer; holds stock in the Home Supply ditch and reservoir, and is, besides, a stockholder in the Farmers' roller mill at Berthoud.
Near Boston, in the village of Melrose, Mass., the subject of this sketch was born in 1865. His father, John Whowell, who was a native of England, settled in Melrose, where for nearly forty years he engaged in building and contracting. A citizen of influence, he was well known in the village where for so long he made his home. He was a Republican and took an active part in local party affairs. His death occurred when he was sixty-three years of age. He had married Sarah Rankin, whose birth occurred on the border of England and Scotland, and who died in Lynn, Mass., at the age of eighty years. Of their three children, our subject was the only son. He was educated in the public schools of Melrose and Boston, and spent his boyhood years in the home of his parents. Learning the cabinet-maker's trade he followed it for two years in his home neighborhood. From there, in 1881, he came to Colorado, settling at Highland Lake, near Longmont, where he spent three years on a farm.
In 1883 Mr. Whowell bought his present homestead in the Little Thompson Valley, and here he has since resided, engaged in stock-raising and general farming. The position of influence which he has attained in the community proves him to be a man of worth and ability, while his success as a farmer shows that he possesses good judgment and industrious, economical habits. In 1887 he married Miss Annie Lynn, of Indiana (but born near Marietta, Washington County, Ohio), and by her has one son,
PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.
Harry O. In religion he is of the Episcopalian faith. Fraternally he is connected with Berthoud Lodge No. 83, A, F. & A. M., in which he has passed the chairs, and in politics he is a silver Republican.
OBERT O. ROBERTS, who has resided in Colorado since 1874, and is a successful stockman in Livermore Park, was born in Utica, N. Y., January 8, 1829. His father, Owen Roberts, was born in Bala, Merionethshire, North Wales, on the estate Bwlch Tyno, where his ancestors had resided for many generations. He was a son of Robert Ellis, and in accordance with a custom followed in his part of the country, he took as his surname the Christian name of his father. When about twenty years of age he emigrated to America and settled at Whitesboro, N. Y., but after a time removed to Utica, where he followed the stone-cutter's trade. When quite advanced in years he came west to Colorado and here he died, at the age of ninety. His wife was Catherine Jones, daughter of John Jones, who was born in North Wales, and settled upon a farm in Oneida County, N. Y., dying there at seventy-five years. She was born near Utica, and died in that city when forty-seven years of age. Of her ten children nine are living, our subject being third in order of birth. The others are: Mrs. Mary Halligan, of Larimer County; John, who is living in Box Elder, this county; Mrs. Elizabeth Birge, of Clinton, N. Y.; Evan, of Lincoln, Neb.; Owen, who resides in Denver, Colo.; Sarah, Mrs. Dean, whose home is near Utica, N. Y.; Mrs. Catherine Barker, of Box Elder; and Ellis, who lives in the same place as his sister Catherine and his brother John.
In the public schools of Oneida County the subject of this sketch received his education. At seventeen years he was apprenticed to the furniture business, and learned how to varnish, polish, paint and upholster furniture. After a short time in Waterville, N. Y., and Muskegon, Mich., he went to Chicago, where he was employed from 1870 to 1874. On the 7th of February, 1874, he arrived in Greeley, Colo., and during the same year he located at Livermore Park, entering the one hundred and sixty acres on which he later built the Forks hotel, the first in Livermore. This he conducted for seven years, then sold it. Afterward he located one hundred and sixty acres and homesteaded one hundred and twenty acres, on North Fork of the Cache la Poudre, from which he has private ditches running through his land. At once after coming to this state he embarked in the cattle business, which he has since followed, raising on his place large quantities of alfalfa to be used for feed. He makes a specialty of raising Herefords, and has as many as one hundred and fifty head of that breed. His ranch is improved with orchards and groves, and different varieties of fruits are successfully grown. In addition to this property, he owns real estate in Fort Collins, on Sherwood street, and they have recently moved to the city to reside.
In Watertown, N. Y., Mr. Roberts married Miss Mary Tuttle, who was born in that place, her father, Theodore Tuttle, having removed there from Connecticut. The five children of Mr. and Mrs. Roberts are as follows: Charles E., a traveling salesman, with headquarters in Fort Collins; George F., who is interested with his father in the cattle business at Livermore; Ernest W., who also assists his father in the management of the ranch; Eva May, wife of Herbert Swan, of Victor, Colo.; and Grace, at home. Both Mr. and Mrs. Roberts are stanch believers in free silver and free trade; they are members of the Democratic party. He assisted in the organization of the first school in his district in Livermore, and has always aided educational interests. He and his sons are members of the Larimer County Stock Growers' Protective Association, in which his son Ernest holds the office of secretary.
APT. WILLIAM M. POST, who spent thirty-three years on the sea and has resided in Colorado since June, 1870, making his home in Fort Collins, was born in Essex, Middlesex County, Conn., a son of Russell and Jemima (Pelton) Post, both natives of Connecticut. The former, who was a son of David Post, served in the war of 1812 and followed for an occupation farm pursuits in Connecticut, dying in Essex at the age of ninety-nine years. He was a descendant of a Holland-Dutch family that settled with Rev. Mr. Hooper's colony at Saybrook, Conn.
At the age of thirteen our subject went to sea as cabin boy on the packet line to Mobile. He sailed before the mast from 1836 to 1840 between