DAVID EDWIN SEVERANCE
PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.
didate for offices of honor and trust, but all these invitations he refused. Though not caring for office, he has never shirked his duty as a citizen. He favors measures for the benefit of the people, and aids public enterprises which tend to promote the welfare of his fellow-citizens. His success in the management of the Denver & Rio Grande Railroad, the largest corporation in the state of Colorado, is largely due to his energy and force of will. Among other railroad officials he is regarded as one of the most successful and able railroad managers in the United States; and the general public, too, have the greatest confidence in his sound judgment and integrity.
The large interest which Mr. Jeffery feels in the prosperity and happiness of railroad employes is due in no small measure to the fact that he was once an employe himself, and can sympathize with their needs and ambitions. His men, knowing that they can trust him implicitly, repose unlimited confidence in him; for, while he is strict in insisting that every man shall do faithful and efficient work, yet at the same time he has a high sense of justice, and is always impartial and just in his treatment of employes.
The fact that Mr. Jeffery has risen from apprentice to general manager, from office boy to president, indicates that he is the possessor of qualities of an unusual order. He has been the maker of his own fortune. Through his strong mind and energetic will he has achieved a large success. Beginning without capital or influential friends, he has gained both through a life of integrity and industry.
As a public speaker Mr. Jeffery is earnest and eloquent, and in this way he has lent his efforts in the aid of public work and benefactions. When dealing with questions of facts he has few superiors. With a mind unprejudiced, and with a ready command of language, he is always able to interest his hearers. While he had few opportunities in youth for acquiring an education, yet, even in the midst of hard work, he made systematic study the rule of his life. He is known as a close student of history and English literature, and as a mathematician is unusually gifted.
In Chicago Mr. Jeffery married Miss Virginia O. Clarke, who was born in Maryland. Her father, Col. James C. Clarke, one of the pioneer railroad men of the United States, was president of the Illinois Central Railroad Company for some years, and later, until his retirement in 1898, served as president of the Mobile & Ohio Railroad. Mr. and Mrs. Jeffery are the parents of a son and daughter: James C., who is a student in Yale College; and Edna T.
AVID EDWIN SEVERANCE, one of the most prominent agriculturists of Weld County, was born in Tuftonborough, Carroll County, N. H., May 6, 1848, and is a son of David and Ruth (Welch) Severance, natives of New Hampshire. The founder of the Severance family in America was John Severance, who emigrated from England about 1620, being a member of the colony that made the voyage on the "Mayflower." Subsequently he resided in Massachusetts. Jonathan Severance, great-grandfather of our subject, a native of Massachusetts, removed to New Hampshire about 1750 and took up government land near what is now the town of Tuftonborough, becoming one of the pioneers of that section. His son, Benjamin, and grandson, David, succeeded in turn to the family estate, which was retained until recently in the family; our subject, the last heir, disposed of it.
David Edwin Severance obtained his early education in the district schools of his native place up to the age of sixteen years, and later attended the academy at Wolfsborough two years. On attaining the age of eighteen he left home and removed to Boston, Mass., where he learned the trade of steam-fitting. This occupation he followed for five years. On the death of his father, which occurred in 1869, he returned to the old home, and served as executor of the estate, subsequently acquiring the property. He continued to manage the property until 1881, when he disposed of his interests in New Hampshire and removed to Colorado.
Becoming a resident of Weld County, Mr. Severance purchased three hundred and twenty acres of land on section 36, township 6, range 67 west. This property was wholly unimproved at the time and had no water. He at once set about to secure the needed water for said land, and was one of the leading spirits in the building of the North Side lateral, which covered about five thousand acres of land, and he was a heavy stockholder of the same. He has succeeded in bringing his estate under a high state of culti-
PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.
vation, adding the necessary farm buildings, as well as a residence that is among the most modern and commodious in the county. His energy and enterprise have brought him success, and his high sense of honor has brought him many friends, who recognize him as one of the leading citizens of the county. Always a stanch Democrat, in 1898 his party placed him in nomination as their candidate for the legislature. He was elected by a majority of eight hundred. Fraternally he is a member of Windsor Lodge No. 69, A. F. & A. M. He was one of the leading factors in forming school district No. 52, and was a member of the school board for three years. In 1895 he secured the placing of a postoffice near his residence, and this has been named Severance in his honor.
April 16, 1871, Mr. Severance married Mary A., daughter of Ivory Milliken, a prominent farmer of Ossipee, N. H. To them were born five children, but two of these, Augusta and Fred, are deceased. Those surviving are: Dora, David and Mary. Dora is a graduate of the state normal of Colorado, and David a graduate of the commercial course of the State Agricultural College of Colorado. Mary, at the age of twelve, is still at school. The family home is situated at Severance, midway between Eaton and Windsor.
YMAN W. MILLER, postmaster of Sullivan (Oakes) Arapahoe County, and a well-known apiarist of the place, was born at Newton Falls, Trumbull County, Ohio, May 24, 1838, a son of William and Hannah (Doud) Miller. When he was one year old his father died, and nine years later his mother, who had married again, removed to DeKalb County, Ill., where he grew to manhood on a farm, meantime receiving a fair education. At the age of thirteen he began to work by the month, and ever since that time he has been self-supporting. After working for others for several years he rented and cultivated land.
When less than nineteen years of age, April 8, 1857, Mr. Miller married Miss Martha Ann Van Dusen, of DeKalb County, but who was born near Willoughby, Ohio, and removed to Illinois in childhood. In 1863 Mr. Miller removed to Dodge County, Minn., where he embarked in farm pursuits on a larger scale than before. While there he enlisted in Company M, First Minnesota Heavy Artillery, and was stationed at Chattanooga, Penn., where he did garrison duty until the close of the war. While engaged at target practice at Fort Creighton he was injured, and has suffered from its effects since.
In 1875 Mr. Miller returned to DeKalb County, Ill., and from there, four years later, moved to Madison County, Neb. During the eleven years spent there he served for four years as justice of the peace, and in 1883 was elected to the Nebraska legislature, where he served for one term. Afterward he was again elected justice of the peace. In all his service as an officer he was noted for fidelity and uprightness. While in the legislature he served as a member of several important committees and introduced a number of bills, but they failed of passage because he did not support the bill for an appropriation for the capitol building.
Coming to Colorado in 1889, Mr. Miller spent one year in Denver and then came to Sullivan, where for a time he was engaged in digging wells for the American Water Company, being the first man to take charge of that work for them. He had engaged in the well business in Nebraska, so was fitted to carry it on successfully. Before leaving Illinois he became interested in bee-culture, and soon after settling at Sullivan he embarked in the business, having two swarms at first, but now about two hundred and twenty-five. He usually takes out five tons of honey a year.
Mr. and Mrs. Miller became the parents of five children. Seymour, the eldest, is a conductor on the Fremont, Elkhorn & Missouri Valley Railroad, and lives in Norfolk, Neb.; he is married and has one child; Melvin, who was also a railroad man, was drowned at Overland Park, Denver, June 8, 1894; he left three children, who make their home with our subject; Lyman, also a railroad man in Nebraska, is married and has two children; William, who is engaged in the well business in Arapahoe County, is married and has one child; Frank P., who is a partner with his father in the bee business, married Myrtle Grems, who was born in Minnesota.
As has already been intimated, Mr. Miller is active in public affairs. Politically a Republican he is proud of the fact that he voted for Abraham Lincoln in 1860 and 1864. In 1897 he was elected justice of the peace at Sullivan, and at the same time his son, William, was elected constable.
PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.
For his services in the Civil war he receives a pension of $12 a mouth. A believer in the doctrines of the Christian Church, in every place that he lived prior to coming to Colorado, he assisted in the organization of a church of that faith. While in Minnesota he was actively connected with the Masonic fraternity and filled all the chairs in his lodge except that of master. He was formerly an attendant upon meetings of the Washington Post, G. A. R., but of late years has been less active in Grand Army matters.
H. SHEPHERD is one of the leading citizens of Idaho Springs, Clear Creek County. For five years he was the postmaster here, having been appointed to the position by President Harrison. Entering upon the duties of the office in June, 1889, he served until July, 1894, in the meantime establishing the postoffice in its present commodious and central quarters. The general public was entirely satisfied with the methods employed by him in the management of the office, and few who have held the position have been more popular.
Mr. Shepherd is a native of Putnam County, Ill., and was reared in that locality. He received a good public and normal school education, and in 1873 went to Kansas City, where he engaged in the railroad business. He was connected with the Kansas Pacific and the Kansas City, Fort Scott & Gulf Railroads for several years, in fact, up to 1880, when he came to Colorado. He resided in the vicinity of Leadville for a year, and then came to Idaho Springs. During this period he was occupied in mining enterprises, but after his appointment to the place of postmaster here, he opened a hook and stationery store in the same building, running the business without conflicting with his other duties. When he retired from office, he sold out his book-store and has since given his attention to mining. For a dozen years or more he has been interested in file Shafter Mining Company, of which he has long served as the general manager. The Shafter mine is situated on the southern slope of Bellevue Mountain, and is in active operation. It is a good producer, the ore being reached by a shaft. In addition to this mine, Mr. Shepherd is financially concerned in others and is making a success of his various investments. He has always been a zealous Republican, and has often been a delegate to the state conventions of his party. In 1894 he was a candidate to the Colorado legislature, but, as the Populists were in a large majority, he was not elected.
The Shepherds were one of the foremost and oldest families of Virginia, where they owned a large grant of land long prior to the Revolution. The grandfather of our subject, Jacob Shepherd, was a native of Shepherdstown, Va., which was founded by his father under a grant from the Crown of England and named in his honor. Jacob Shepherd the grandfather of J. H., removed to Brown County, Ohio, at an early day, becoming one of the pioneers of that section, and there he passed his last years. Some of the Shepherds still live at Shepherdstown, Va., on a portion of the estate known as Wild Goose farm. Nelson Shepherd, father of J. H., was born in Ohio, and about 1827, when Illinois was in her infancy, he located on land lying along the banks of the Illinois River, in Putnam County. He continued to dwell there during the rest of his life, his death occurring October 22, 1892, when he was eighty-four years of age. His faithful wile did not long survive him, as she died only a few weeks later, in the following December, at the age of four-score. In her girlhood she was Miss Mary Baird, a native of Brown County, Ohio. Five of the children of Nelson and Mary Shepherd are yet living. Three of their sons were gallant defenders of the stars and stripes in the Civil war, all enlisting as private in the Twelfth Illinois Infantry. Cyrus, one of these brave soldiers boys, died while in the service. Albert is living on the old homestead; and Lysle is a citizen of Kaukakee, Ill.
HRIST JOHANNSEN, who is the owner of a ranch in Arapahoe County, was born in Segeberg, Holstein, Germany, April 1, 1848, a son of Jurgen and Annie Katie (Buttenschön) Johannsen, also natives of Germany. His father, who was a farmer, died at the age of sixty-six years, while his wife had passed away at thirty-six, when our subject was only five years old. Both were faithful members of the Lutheran Church.
Of the brothers and sisters of our subject we note the following: Christ Henry, who was a school teacher in Germany, is now a stockman of Colorado; Claus Henry, who is a brick mason
PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.
by trade, is now engaged in the stock business in Colorado; Frederick is also a stockman and farmer in Colorado; Hans, a carpenter by trade, is now a farmer in this state; Christine is the wife of August Stander, and lives near Alamosa, Colo.; Mary is living in Germany, where Doris also resides; both are married.
In the schools of his native land the subject of this sketch received a fair education. At the age of seventeen he began to learn the trade of a harness-maker, which he followed for six years in Hamburg, Germany. When he was twenty-four he and his brother, Claus H., and Maggie Walther, to whom he was married three years later, in Denver, sailed for America in the steamer "Normannia," arriving in New York May 9, 1872. He worked till February, 1873, in Michigan, on the Michigan Central Railroad, and then crossed the continent as far as Colorado, settling in Denver, where he engaged in the hide business, under the employ of the old firm of James Tynon in that business. After four years in the same position he bought his present ranch of four hundred and eighty acres, where he has since engaged in the stock business.
May 29, 1875, Mr. Johannsen married Margaretha Walther, born June 2, 1846, in Scholenfieth, Holstein, Germany, where her father was proprietor of a bakery. They had only one child, Annie Katie, born December 8, 1880, and were bereaved by her death January 15, 1881. Politically Mr. Johannsen is a Democrat. For some years he has served as a member of the school board. His time, however, is principally given to the raising of stock and the management of his ranch, and he is a highly respected and prosperous citizen.
ACOB MUMMA, a prominent ranchman of Deer Trail, Arapahoe County, was born February 28, 1842, in Ogle County, Ill., his parents being William and Rebecca (Pope) Mumma. William Mumma was a native of Maryland, and in early life settled on a farm about one hundred miles west of Chicago, on Pine Creek, when there were no railroads in the state. He farmed there for some twenty years, and then moved to Grand Detour, Ogle County, where he kept a grocery store and livery stable. From there he moved to Boone, Iowa, in 1864, and engaged in business for a short time with his son, Jacob, but soon returned to Ogle County, Ill., where he spent the remainder of his life, dying in 1872. He was an old-line Whig, and in later years a Democrat. His wife, Rebecca (Pope) Mumma, was a native of Maryland, but died when our subject was a small lad, consequently but little is known of her family. There were ten children, as follows: Joseph lives in Illinois; William and Henry died young; John is janitor of the eastern Denver high school; Rose married Thomas Brooks, a farmer of Ogle County, Ill.; Nancy is the wife of George Palmer, of the same place; Lizzie and Mandy are deceased; and a child who died in infancy, besides the subject of this biography.
Jacob Mumma passed his youth in Grand Detour, Ill., receiving his education in the public schools of that place. At the age of nineteen he began work as a brakeman on the Illinois Central Railroad, and after some time spent in that line was promoted to he a conductor on the same road. He remained there until 1865, when he quit railroading, and opened a livery business with his father in Boone, Iowa, where he continued until 1867, when he disposed of his business. Until 1871 he worked for Henry Stepp and in settling up his own affairs, and in the spring of that year went to Abilene, Kan., and finally to Kansas City, where he was employed in the fruit store of Whitaker & Holmes. That fall he was sent by his employers to Denver with five cars of fruit. After executing his commission he severed his connection with the firm, and the following March entered the fruit store of Pooler & Chittenden, of Denver. He next began working in a furniture store. There he remained until 1876, when he took a partner, K B. Stires, and with him began raising sheep, first at Collins, and after the first year four miles east of Byers. About four years were spent here when he bought out his partner and spent the next year on the Muddy, in the same business, when he moved to Pinneo on the Burlington & Missouri Railroad. Losing his wife, he rented his sheep on shares for one year, and during that time sold furniture for the Hax-Gartner Furniture Company. At the end of the year he selected a good sheep ranch located on his present ranch, which is two and one-half miles southeast of Deer Trail, on the Kansas Pacific Railroad. Here for
PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.
the past eleven or twelve years he has been engaged in raising sheep, and making it a source of considerable profit. He also handles horses. He has improved the place since taking it, putting up windmills, barns, house and other buildings, making it a home to be much desired.
In 1882 he married Miss Minnie Gildersleeve, who died after two short years of married life. He then married Delia Pooler in 1890, a native of Susquehanna, Pa. She is a daughter of Hiram Pooler, a descendant of one of the oldest families of Pennsylvania. She is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church. Mr. Mumma has always been a Democrat, but has never aspired to office, as his time was fully occupied in looking after his private interests, and his only capital when he started out was his two hands and a determination to succeed.
REDERICK P. WAITE, who owns and occupies a ranch of one hundred and sixty acres at Highland Lake, Weld County, was born in Medina County, Ohio, February 7, 1844, a son of Erastus and Polly (Burroughs) Waite. He was one of thirteen children, all but two of whom attained mature years, and six are now living, namely: George A., Seth A., Frederick P., Henrietta, Emerancia and Sarah. His father, a native of Massachusetts, born in 1796, removed from his early home in 1830, becoming a pioneer of Ohio, where he cleared eighty acres in Medina County. In that place he continued to reside until his death, in 1882.
At the age of seventeen the subject of this sketch began life for himself. Going to Trumbull County, Ohio, he was employed during the summer in farm work and in the fall and winter attended college at Gustavus. Thence he went to Toledo and secured employment with the hardware firm of Olmsted, Jones & Co., where he served an apprenticeship to the business. While with that firm, in the spring of 1864, he enlisted in Company C, One Hundred and Thirtieth Ohio Infantry. The regiment was ordered to Johnson's Island, where they drilled and guarded prisoners. A month later the men were ordered to the front with Grant's army, in front of Petersburg, and Mr. Waite took part in the siege at that place. After four and one-half months of service he was relieved and sent home, where he was mustered out of service in November, 1864. While he was serving his country, his employers not only held open his position until his return, but continued his salary during the entire period of his absence.
In 1866 the firm opened a branch house in Chicago and Mr. Waite was sent to that city to take charge of their western business. He established the house and had entire charge of the business until 1869, when failing health compelled him to resign his position. For a time he endeavored to recuperate at his home, but finding a change of climate necessary, he came to Colorado, making the journey by rail to Cheyenne and from there by stage to Denver. Consultation with different parties revealed the fact that (to quote his own words) "the best way to regain health was to buy a California broncho and some cattle and go to New Mexico." He followed the advice and wintered his stock among the Indians and Mexicans, which gave him an insight into frontier life that was new to him. In the spring of 1870 he drove the cattle to Denver, where he sold them. In the summer he went back to Cleveland on a visit, returning to Colorado for the winter.
Believing the sheep business would prove profitable, Mr. Waite located in St. Vrain Canon, where he remained until the winter of 1872-73, when he sold his sheep interests and returned to Ohio, hoping to be able to remain there. However, after a stay of six months, he found that the climate would not permit him to remain. Accordingly, in the fall of 1873 he returned once more to Colorado. On his arrival he located his present home of one hundred and sixty acres at Highland Lake. In the spring of the following year he improved his new home, his family remaining in Longmont. By dint of industrious effort he transformed the wild prairie into a substantial homestead, bearing valuable improvements. He is a member of McPherson Post No. 6, G. A. R. In religion he and his wife are active workers in the Congregational Church.
While residing in St. Vrain Canon, in the fall of 1871, Mr. Waite was married to his first wife, their wedding being solemnized in Denver. She was Miss Effie M. Fowler, a native of Chardon, Ohio. Four children were born of their union, three of whom are living. The oldest child, Charles H., is deceased. Vesta M. is a gradu-
PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.
ate of the normal school at Greeley and a teacher in the public schools. Frederick M. finished his education with three years in the preparatory school and one year in the university at Boulder, and is now in the postal service as mail carrier in Boulder. Metta E. attended the high school at Greeley until completing the course, and is now in the preparatory school in Boulder. The mother of these children died in the fall of 1882.
The present wife of Mr. Waite, with whom he was united in marriage October 9, 1884, was formerly Melissa A. Ward, of Longmont. She was for some years a resident of Kelley's Island, Ohio, where she successfully taught in the public schools. After coming to Colorado she engaged in kindergarten work in Longmont. A lady of superior intelligence and broad information, she is esteemed wherever known and has a host of friends among those she has met since coming to this state. Mr. Waite takes an interest in public affairs and aids in every way possible the advancement of the county and the development of its resources. On the organization of his precinct, he was made justice of the peace, an office that he has held continuously to the present time.
NDREW MISNER, a successful farmer of Douglas County, resides on section 34, townships, range 66 west, near Castle Rock, and is the owner of eleven hundred acres, besides which he leases a school section. The improvements on the place are of a substantial character and have increased the financial value of the property. Mr. Misner was born in the town of Trossingen, Province of Wurtemberg, Germany, April 13, 1839, a son of Christian Ludvig and Anna (Koch) Misner, and was reared on a farm, receiving a fair education. In 1858 he came to America, spending twenty-seven days on the ocean and landing in New York, from which city he proceeded west to Chicago, thence to Grand Traverse City, Mich. After a year in the latter place he went to DuPage County, Ill., and secured employment on a farm.
September 10, 1861, Mr. Misner enlisted in Company E, Fifty-fifth Illinois Infantry, in which he served for four years, participating in the battles of Pittsburg Landing, Corinth, Holly Springs, Germantown, Tallahatchie, Champion Hill, Vicksburg (where a buckshot struck the buckle of his belt and knocked him senseless), Jackson, Miss., Big Sandy, Ga., Kenesaw Mountain, Atlanta, Eyra Chapel, Ga., Jonesboro and Nashville. At Pittsburg Landing a ball struck his right shoulder, but aside from cutting his blouse and leaving a black spot on the flesh, did not affect him. June 30, 1864, he joined the Illinois First Light Artillery, and while on duty was kicked by a horse, which broke his leg. He was sent to the hospital, where he remained for three months. When he was discharged as recovered the war had closed and his battery was mustered out two days later.
Returning to Chicago, Mr. Misner worked for Peter Schuttler for fourteen months. Later he started a flour and feed store, but within three months he lost all (about $800) he had saved during his army service. Discouraged by his ill-success, he went to Grundy County, Ill., and for two years was employed in a warehouse. In that county, March 30, 1869, he married Miss Elizabeth Herren, who was born in Switzerland, and was brought to America by her parents when six weeks old. Leaving his wife in Illinois, he came to Denver via the Union Pacific to Cheyenne, and thence by stage. For two months he worked in the mines at Blackhawk. He next took a homestead, where he now lives, and has added to the original tract from time to time, until he now owns a large amount of land. In politics he is a silver Republican and in religion a Protestant. In the Grand Army Post at Castle Rock he has held various official positions.
Mr. and Mrs. Misner are the parents of eight children, all of whom were born in Colorado. The oldest child, Anna, married Hon. Robert B. Palm, the present county judge of Douglas County, Colo., and resides near Castle Rock. The other children are: Mary, Teresa, Barbara, Emma, Rosa, Bertha and Christina.
AVID I. CRAMER owns one and one-half sections of land, in one body, lying three miles south of Sedalia, Douglas County, Colo., and here he is engaged in general farm pursuits and stockraising. He was born in Newark, Ohio, May 2, 1843, a son of Peter and Martha (Martin) Cramer. When he was three years of age his father, who was a carpenter, went to Missouri by steamboat, hoping to find a
PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.
suitable location there. Not liking the country, however, he started to drive back to Ohio. In passing through Jasper County, Ill., he was so pleased with the country that he decided to settle, and accordingly took up land near what is now Granville. There, about two years later, he died. In the fall of the same year (1848) his widow returned to Ohio, and, when her son was about eight, she married again. Three years later she removed to Cumberland County, Ill., settling upon a farm there about 1854. Two years later she died.
Making his home with his step-father until he was eighteen, our subject then enlisted in Company F, Fifth Illinois Cavalry, and was sent to Missouri, where he took part in the battles of Pea Ridge, Cotton Plant and Island No. 62. In the latter engagement a man on each side of him was shot, a ball that scratched his right side did not injure him seriously, but took the right ear off the horse. At Helena, Ark., as an advance guard, he rode up to the gate of a farm one day, and there was hailed by a picket, who called "Halt," and at the same instant fired at him.
Mr. Cramer at the same moment shot at the Confederate. The powder from the picket's gun burned his face and eyes and for some time he was in a serious condition. From Helena he was ordered to the Cherokee nation as a scout. There, while on picket duty, he and his comrade saw a white man and a negro leave a house. They immediately sneaked up on the side, and when the men were close, they fired, killing both. Returning to Helena, while he was one day helping to shoe government horses, he was kicked in the pit of the stomach by a mule. The kick cut a hole into the stomach that is still there. The injury incapacitated him for active service. Soon afterward he fell a victim to typhoid fever and was sent to the hospital in Helena, where he lay, unconscious and almost dying, for weeks. While he was still in the hospital his regiment moved to Vicksburg, in April, 1863. Wishing to join them, he secured the permission of his captain, and was assisted to the boat, while still too weak to stand alone. However, he gradually regained his strength, and remained with the army until after the surrender of Vicksburg, when he was discharged, July 25, 1863, at Milldale, Miss.
For months after he returned home, Mr. Cramer was in poor health. At the time of enlisting he had weighed one hundred and eighty-three pounds, and one year after his return home, in spite of considerable gain during that time, he weighed but one hundred and forty pounds. In Cumberland County, Ill., July 28, 1864, he married Miss Frances Stults, of that county, but a native of Perry County, Ohio, and for some years in childhood a resident of Fairfield County, that state. She is a descendant of German ancestors, but the family has been represented in America for many generations. She accompanied her parents, Lewis and Elizabeth (Strockbine) Stults, to Illinois, settling in Cumberland County.
In 1873 Mr. Cramer sold his farm of forty acres in Cumberland County and came to Colorado, where he took up land near Monument, making his home on that place for four years. On relinquishing his claim he rented land for a time. In 1879 he came to Douglas, where he operated as a renter for a year, and in 1880 bought the right to school land, on which he settled after Christmas day of that year. He also homesteaded and pre-empted land, and became the owner of a half section in that way. On his place he has made good improvements, including a substantial house, barn and fruit trees.
Four sons and two daughters comprise the family of Mr. and Mrs. Cramer. Lydia, the eldest of these, married F. A. Curtis, of Arapahoe County, and they have four children. Amos, the eldest son, works in the Grant smelter at Denver; Lewis, who is married and has two children, lives on a ranch near his father's home. Carrie is the wife of Charles Harcourt, living near Littleton, and has one child. Curtis P. is a student in the School of Mines at Golden, class of 1899. David S. is in Alaska, where he went in the hope of discovering gold.
Our subject's father was a Whig and his stepfather a Democrat. In 1868 he voted for Grant and again in 1872. Four years later he cast his ballot for R. B. Hayes, and in 1880 supported James Garfield. In 1884 he voted for Cleveland, four years later supported Benjamin Harrison, as he did also in 1892, and in 1896, casting his vote in support of the silver standard, he supported Bryan. For three years he served as a school director and while in that position the schoolhouse in Sedalia was built. He was the Democratic nominee for county treasurer in 1894, but was defeated by nine votes. At another time he was