In a historical work dedicated to Southern Illinois, Edwards county holds a
number of important men who could not well be omitted from mention in its pages.
Among them, West Salem citizens must be represented, and Gideon
Schwarzlose takes prominent place among the leading men of his town. He
has been cashier of the West Salem Bank since its organization in 1888, and in
addition is prominently connected with various other industrial and financial
concerns in West Salem which have done much in the passing years for the
development and upbuilding of the town.
Gideon Schwarzlose was born on
January 28, 1864, on a farm one mile south of West Salem, and is the son of
William and Mary Elizabeth (Hesse) Schwarzlose, both natives of
Germany. The father was born in his native land in 1826 and emigrated to America
in 1853. He settled on a farm in Edwards county near West Salem, and became one
of the well-to-do farmers of
his section. He had a fine farm of three hundred acres, which he divided among
his children, retaining one hundred acres for himself, which portion he sold a
few years before his death. They were the parents of six children, namely: William,
living in Edwards county; Henry, a resident of Los Angeles, California; Mrs.
Mary Koehler, of Evansville, Indiana; Elizabeth, married L. B. Henry,
in West Salem; Gideon; Mrs. Annie Markham of West Salem.
Gideon Schwarzlose received his
early education in the country schools of his community and later attended the
Northwestern College at Naperville. He began teaching school when he had
finished his studies and spent four years among the district schools of Edwards
county. In 1888, when the West Salem Bank was organized, Mr. Schwarzlose was
appointed to the position of cashier, which he has filled creditably from then
to the present time, The bank is a sturdy and altogether reliable institution
with a financial responsibility of $160,000, and is the oldest institution of
its kin in Edwards county. It has deposits of $115,000, and is regarded with
favor by all who have had occasion to do business with it since its
identified with various prominent industries of West Salem, and is proprietor
of the Clover Valley Creamery, which he purchased in 1902 at a valuation of
$2,000; the creamery burned in 1908, but he rebuilt at once a more modern plant,
making an investment of about $4,000. The creamery does an annual business of
Mr. Schwarzlose is a stockholder and vice president of the West Salem
Hollow Brick and Tile Company, with a capital of $50,000. He has a farm of 144
acres near West Salem, which he operates to good advantage, and is on the whole
one of the busiest men to be found in the county. He is a member of the
Evangelical Association, and is a staunch Republican. He has been a trustee for
five years, and in 1893 served as president of the village board.
Miss Calla Cook
Jackson, Ohio, the daughter of
John F. Cook
of that place.
Five children have been born to
Mr. and Mrs. Schwarzlose, — Frederick W., Esther M., Ruth E., Paul F., and Mary
I., who died at the age of one year and nine months.
Biography Table of
Memorial Library Illinois
- First & Only 501(c)3 Host for Genealogical & Historical Sites
Livingston County Michigan Historical & Genealogical Project
History & Genealogy Project
© 2006~ Pam MARDOS