GEORGE E. HOUGHTALING. The enterprising farmer and good citizen whose
name we now give is a native son of the Wolverine State, being born August 31, 1836, in Lyons, Oakland County. Garrett and Rachel (Thompson) Houghtaling were his parents and his paternal grandfather was Richard
Houghtaling, who was born in New York and devoted himself through life to farming pursuits.
He came to Michigan about 1835 and passed the remainder of his days with his son, Garrett, and soon after his decease his widow also passed away.
This worthy couple brought to years of maturity and usefulness a large family of children as follows: John, David, Henry, Garrett, Peter,
Mahala, Hannah, Betsey and Margaret, and all are married except Peter and
Mahala. The father of our subject had his birth in New York and was twice married, first to Lydia Gates, by whom he had two son, William
O. and Samuel G., and after her death, which occurred in Lyons, Oakland County,
he married the mother of our subject, who bore him one, son George. She died in 1868.
Garrett Houghtaling was a blacksmith by trade (196)
and came to Michigan about 1820, settling in Wayne County, where
he followed his trade at Waterford until 1837, when he came to Green Oak Township, Livingston County, and established himself.
He was prosperous in his business, an accumulated a comfortable competency, acquiring
a farm of about five hundred acres, all of it located on section, 23. This
he improved and cultivated and made his home upon it until he was called from earth at the age of forty-eight in the year 1845. His religious convictions brought him into union with the Christian Church and his political views allied him with the old Whig party.
The mother of our subject was born in Columbia, Herkimer County, N.Y., and was a daughter of Moses and Margaret (Morris) Thompson, who were from New Jersey, their early home being near Morristown. The father was a farmer and he moved to New York, and in 1835 came with his team through Canada to Michigan, being two weeks on the road. He settled in the woods where Howell now stands and built a sawmill. He was a man of means and took up some two thousand acres of land in Livingston County and in Oakland County. His life in Michigan was cut short by death as he was called away from earth in 1841, while living
a little north of Howell, and his faithful wife who was the mother of nine children, survived him until 1867. She died at the age of eighty-five.
The happy married life of Mr. Houghtaling began August 21, 1862, and his bride was
Mary, daughter of Henry and Olive (Carpenter) Randall. This lady was born in Huron, Erie County, Ohio and became the mother of seven children who have in every way proved an honor to their faithful parents, who through their childhood and youth gave them all necessary opportunities for self improvement and development. Jennie M. is, a graduate of Albion College and a teacher in Howell;
Mary A. who is an artist is the wife of Clarence Pearce, while the remaining children are: Edward
S., Edith C., Grace O., Bertha L., and Eva R. For more than thirty years our subject and his wife have been prominently identified with the Methodist Episcopal Church
and they are leaders in its work and social circles.
The early training of our subject was received upon the farm and in the schools of Oakland at County, and after the death of the father his
mother was united in marriage with Alva Preston. The son remained at home until
he reached the age d of twenty-six, when he began for himself upon one hundred and twenty-six acres on section 23. He now
owns two hundred and forty-four acres although he met with a serious loss through endorsing for a
friend and he was obliged to sell one hundred acres in order to pay this debt; yet it is evident
that he may fairly be called a successful man. He has served as Township Treasurer and Clerk and is
well-known in every circle of life in Cohoctah Township where he has lived since 1847, with the
exception of four years which he spent in Albion, to which he moved in order to educate his children.
He and his household are among the most highly respected members of society in this part of the
county, and are worthy of the esteem which is granted them.
JOHN H. MOYER. We are gratified to be able to present the life-history of the
prominent citizen of Locke Township, Ingham
County, whose name appears at the head of this writing, and whose beautiful home may be
seen upon section 7. He is a native of Oxford
County, Ontario, Canada, and was born June 14, 1840. His father, Joseph Moyer, and his mother,
Asenath (Tuttle) Moyer were natives of New York, and his paternal ancestors were of German blood,
while on the mother's side he comes of old English and Holland stock. His maternal grandfather was
a soldier in the War of 1812 and his paternal great-grandfather was a German by birth and a Revolutionary soldier in the American army, and suffered scalping at the hands of the Indians, who were in the service of the British.
Our subject emigrated with his parents to Ingham County,
Mich., in 1855, and the family settled upon the farm which is now occupied by him in Locke Township. His father, Joseph Moyer, established his household in a log cabin and the remains
of that abode are still standing upon the farm, forming one of the old pioneer landmarks of the neighborhood, The father passed from earth April 11, 1889, and his good wife had been taken from his side November 15, 1883. They had
done a great amount of pioneer work and had brought up their children amidst trials and hardships of which the present generation knows little. Of their household of seven children, six are now living, namely: John H., Peter, Hannah, wife of Ezra Spears, Jacob, James, and Mary, wife of George Piper.
Amidst the scenes of pioneer life John Moyer grew to manhood, assisting his parents in subduing
the wilderness and cultivating the farm, and upon him the labors of the
home were so severe as to
greatly limit his educational opportunities. He became an extensive reader and his mental development has been mostly that which
he has attained by his own forethought and effort. He was married April 15, 1872, to Mary J.
Maxon, a native
of Livingston County and daughter of Elias and Joanna Maxon, formerly of Livingston County.
In their later years they made their home in Locke Township and here their life terminated.
Three children have brightened the home of our subject, namely: May,
Emery, and John H. Jr. Mr. Moyer has been a resident of the farm he now owns since his boyhood, and
he has a fine estate of two hundred and sixty-seven acres. In his political convictions
he is in sympathy with the Democratic party, and both he and his good wife are leading members of the social circles of the township and are eminently useful in the Wesleyan Methodist Church. For one year he served as Highway Commissioner of the township and is universally recognized as one of its solid and influential citizens.
WILLIAM H. SHOOK. This respected farmer living in Tyrone Township, Livingston County, was born November 2, 1839, in Phelps Ontario County, N.Y., where his parents,
John and Delilah (Schad) Shook then resided. The father was born in the western part of Allegheny County, Pa., and was twice married; his first wife was a Miss Kenyon who bore him four sons and
one daughter and the second wife (whose name we have already given) was the mother of five children, and died at the age of seventy-seven. Her children were William H., Amos, Peter, Mary and Perry C., who died at the age of twenty-five, while Amos died in infancy.
John Shook emigrated from New York to Michigan in November, 1854, and here made his home in the township of Tyrone, where he cleared and
improved sixty acres of land and lived in this township until his death which took place March 23, 1877.
He was at that time seventy-five years old and had long been an earnest worker and devout communicant in the Methodist Episcopal Church. His good wife also lived to about the same age, dying August 12, 1889. She was born in Pennsylvania and was a daughter of Peter
Schad, whose family name was formerly spelled Schort.
He was a farmer in the Keystone State and later lived in New York, and finally came to Michigan about the
year 1844. He was the father of five sons and three daughters.
The district schools and the routine of farm life supplied the training of this boy and
he remained upon the farm until he reached his eighteenth year, when he began for himself upon a farm in
1867, purchasing one hundred and twenty acres on section 28, Tyrone Township, the very land upon which he now resides. This property
he at once proceeded to put in first-class condition for farming and he has made it of great value.
He has also taken time to serve his township as Highway Commissioner and his term of service did much toward improving the roads of the township.
Mr. Shook was married October 21,1868, to Miss Mina A. Castor,
daughter of Christopher and Polly (Hendricks) Castor, who came from New York. Mr. Castor was a carpenter by trade and died in Holly in June, 1889. His wife passed from earth four years earlier while they were living in Rose Township. To them have been given four sons and
five daughters and all of them grew to maturity. One son, Albert, served bravely
War of the Rebellion and Elisha E. is now a Methodist Episcopal clergyman of no little repute.
Kittie May Shook, the only child of our subject, was born November 24, 1869, and is now a young lady of culture and refinement. She is a graduate of the Fenton Normal school where she pursued a thorough course of education and did much to develop her talents. Mr. and Mrs. Shook are both active members of the Methodist Episcopal Church, and Mr. Shook is a member and has been for thirty years, of the Free and Accepted Masons. He is now the only representative of his father's family that is left in this country.
JOHN J. LIVERMORE. The pioneers who brought their families to Michigan in the early days of the '30s, traveling with
ox-team and prairie schooner from the East and settling upon almost unbroken land with
no prospect of an immediate income, must have been possessed of brave hearts and a wonderful capacity for enduring hardships, and they are worthy of honorable mention.
Such an one was the father of the man whose name appears
at the head of this sketch, who passed through all the hard times incident to frontier life and with his brave companion forced nature to give up her treasures and to provide a handsome competency for their declining years. This father, James Livermore, was a native of Massachusetts who when a boy went to Maine and there grew up on a farm. He was a soldier in the War of 1812, being a young man at that time, as he was born in 1789. His wife, whose maiden name was Susan Watson, was born in
Massachusetts in 1788.
James Livermore, Sr., the grandfather of our subject, was a farmer who died when his son James
was still a small child. He therefore had to look out for himself and early became independent.
The parents of our subject were married in Tompkins County, N.Y. and resided there until the
father came to Michigan in 1835, making the journey in a wagon, coming around through Illinois, and being in Chicago when there were but a few houses on the site of what is now known throughout the world as the World's Fair City.
He located in 1835 upon one hundred and twenty acres of wild land, upon section 24, Unadilla Township. There was then no settlement
within two miles of him but he bravely went to work and having built a log house, broke ten acres of land and sowed half of it to wheat.
In 1836 James Livermore returned to the East for his family, bringing them in a wagon drawn by two yoke of oxen, being about six weeks on the way. He located them on his homestead and made that his home until death. He was a hard-working man and accumulated a handsome property.
He added to his farm until he had four hundred acres and he cleared and fenced a large portion of this and built a log house in 1850. The death of his wife occurred in
1864, and he passed away in 1872. They were the parents of seven children, four of whom are still living, namely: Julia, Mrs. J. D. Reeves; our subject; Susan, Mrs. Silas Richmond; and Emma, Mrs. John Richmond. The mother was highly esteemed for her genuine Christian character and was an active member of the Presbyterian Church.
The birth of our subject took place. in Tompkins County, N.Y., October 29, 1822, and he received very little schooling after coming West, at which time
he was fourteen years of age, for he had much hard work to do in assisting his father. He used to drive six yoke of cattle in breaking the upland soil. His marriage took place in December, 1848, when he was married to Charity Ann Sayles, a daughter of Benjamin and Abby (Pugh) Sayles, the latter being a native of New Jersey, and the
former a New Yorker. After their marriage in Tompkins County, N. Y., they came to Michigan in 1847, and settled
on section 26, Unadilla Township. Here they made a permanent home, adding forty acres of improved land to their original eighty and here Mr. Sayles died December 19, 1889, at the
age of eighty-four years. His widow, who still survives in good health, has reached the age of eighty-three years and of her three children Mrs. Livermore is
the only survivor.
Mrs. Livermore was born March, 22, 1829 in (199)
Tompkins County N.Y., and was eighteen years of age when she came to Michigan. Having received a good common-school education in the East, she found herself in demand as a teacher in the new country and found employment in this way for some time. Her parents were active members of the Methodist Episcopal Church, in which her father was a Class-Leader. One sister, Sarah, married a Mr. C. B. Rose, and died in 1848.
After spending one year with Mr. Livermore's parents the young couple began life in their new
home--a log house upon the same site where they have now lived for forty-two years. Their earthly possessions were then seventy-five acres of land, all uncultivated, a log
house, a yoke of oxen, a cow, ten sheep and a pig. Their present beautiful home was built in 1870, at a cost of $2,000 and the barn, which cost $500, was erected in 1854. Two hundred acres form the home farm, all of which are improved with the exception of twenty-five acres which are still in timber. They have both done genuine pioneer work and have passed through years of hard labor.
This worthy couple are the parents of eight children, six of whom are now living, namely--
Sarah Jane, born October 3, 1850, died October 13, 1852; Mary A., born February 12, 1854, now the wife of James M. Packard, living at Lansing; Abby A., born November 28, 1857, is the wife of A. A. Wood of Lansing, and the mother of three children; Susie E., born September 10, 1859, wife of William F. Dryer and living in Bath, Clinton County, Mich. with her husband and two children; Julia A., born April 17, 1861, lives at Lansing and is the widow of Clark
O. Chapman, and the mother of two children; James B., born April 19, 1863, still resides at home; Eunice A., born November 3,1869, died February 5, 1878; Chattie R., born November 3, 1872, resides at home. To all of these children has been given an excellent common school education, and their mother, who is a member of the Presbyterian Church has conscientiously instructed them in the faith and duties of the Christian religion. Three of the daughters have been teachers and Miss Chattie is now a student at the Business College at Lansing.
The gentleman of whom we write has for many years been a
member of the School Board and he takes an active interest in politics, being an ardent Republican, although
he was formerly a Whig and then a Know Nothing. He has filled the office of Road Commissioner and for twelve years or more was an agent for the June threshing engine. He worked at the carpenter's business when a young man although he never served his time at that trade. He was a member of the militia company here in which Mr.
Winans, now Gov. Winans was one of his comrades. In this company
he held the position of Second Sergeant. He is pleased to say that in the old days he and his neighbors had jolly good times in their log cabins and had no reason to envy those who were housed in more pretentious homes.
GREENE, M. D. The young
professional men of Leslie, Ingham County are an element in the development of this progressive little town, and are a centralizing force in drawing within its boundaries the best
people in that section of the county. By their character and repute they are adding to the reputation of the town and giving it a standing among
the other corporations in this county. None is more thoroughly respected for skill and character
than he of whom we now write.
David Greene was the father of our subject and Mary (Olin) Greene was the mother to whom
he owes so much for his early training and education. They were both natives of Lawrence, Otsego County, N.Y., whence they came to Michigan in 1851, and settled at Rochester, Oakland County, where they spent the remainder of their days. While in New York David Greene was a woolen manufacturer, but after coming to Michigan he devoted himself to farming. He died in 1852, at Rochester, Mich., and his wife survived him for many years and finally passed away in April, 1889. In his early manhood the father was in very comfortable circumstances, but later in life he met with
heavy losses. His political views were such as to call him to sympathize with the Whig party, as did most of the Quakers, among whom they belonged.
The grandfather of our subject was a Quaker minister named Edwin R. Greene. He was a man of great wealth and resided in Otsego County, N.Y. In 1843 he removed to Genesee County and spent his last days at Batavia. The Greenes are of English ancestry, while the
Olins, from whom the mother of our subject came, trace their origin to Wales. The parents of our subject had nine children, namely: Phoebe,
Sarahette, Emily, Ellen, Edwin R., Imogene, William H., John H. and David M. After the death of the father, the
widowed mother was again married to Jacob Cain, of Rochester, Oakland County, Mich., by whom she had three children, Emily, Edgar and Carrie.
He of whom we write had his nativity in Batavia, Genesee County,
N. Y., March 22, 1851, and grew up upon his father's farm first in New York and afterward in Avon Township, Oakland County, not far from Rochester. His primary education was taken in the district schools and he afterward attended the High School at Rochester, and later he spent two years in the Literary department of the University of Michigan, although he did not remain to take his diploma. Even before entering the university he had been reading medicine, and in 1882 he entered the Medical department of the University of Michigan, and after studying three years, graduated with high honors in the spring of 1886.
The first practice of this young medical man was in connection with his brother, Dr. David M. Greene, who was at that time located at Plainfield, Livingston County, and afterward went to
Iosco, where he followed his profession until October, 1888, when
he removed to Ann Arbor and took a full nine months' post graduate course in the Medical department of the university.
Our subject located at Leslie in June, 1889, and took up the practice which his brother had laid down, as Dr. David had been pursuing his profession at Leslie for a year and a half previous. The young Doctor has built up an extensive practice and is already considered one of the leading practitioners of the county. He is a member of the
Michigan Medical Association and his views on political questions have led him into sympathy and
affiliation with the Republican party. Still, he pays little attention to political movements, preferring to devote himself exclusively to his profession and his
It was in September, 1882, that Miss Jessie M. Doying, of Cass City, Tuscola County, this
State and a native of that city, was united in marriage with Dr. Greene. This lady is the daughter of
James and Joanna Doying and is possessed not only of a liberal education and more than ordinary
culture, but also of good capabilities, sound judgment and admirable social qualities. One son has
come to brighten this home, little Wilford, to whose care and education the Doctor and his wife are
devoted with true parental solicitude.
THOMAS A. WALKER. Among the notable families which the Empire State has bequeathed to her younger sister, Michigan, none is more worthy of our consideration than the one represented by the name at the head of this paragraph. Both by character and connections this family is entitled to rank along the best in Livingston County, and has for many years been known far and wide by all who had any acquaintance with Oceola Township.
Mr. Walker's beautiful farm is to be found on section 17, Oceola Township, and comprises five hundred forty acres of excellent land, where is carried on a general farming business. Upon it may be found two hundred and fifty head of sheep, and some
$12,000 worth of wool and sheep were sold from this farm last year. This gentleman was born in the township of Manchester, Ontario County, N.Y., January 23, 1830. His father, Henson Walker, was a native of Maryland, being born near Baltimore, where he had his early education. He there married Matilda
Arnel, a native of Maryland, and soon after that union removed
to New York, and located in Ontario County, whence he came to Michigan in 1835. He stopped
(201) for a few months in Washtenaw County, and then coming on to Livingston County, took up eighty acres of land on section 29.
The first home of the family in this county was the one that was hastily erected by them after their arrival. It was the log shanty covered with bark, measuring 15x15 feet and had a slab door and stick chimney. In this they lived for about a year, after which they built another log house, which
had no floor and there they lived for two years. The place was improved and in the course of time a frame house was erected, in which the family resided until the father's death in 1857. He was an earnest and active Republican and a prominent man in those early days. The mother of our subject lived to reach the extreme age of ninety-two years, and was the mother of ten children, seven sons and three daughters.
He of whom we write was five years old when he came to Michigan with his parents, and his first education was taken in a log schoolhouse, with a stick chimney and slab seats in Oceola
Township. He finished his schooling in the log schoolhouse on section 21, remaining with his father until after
he gained his majority. The happy married life of Mr. Walker, began November
12, 1851, when he was married to Dorcas E., second daughter of Francis and Dorcas (Smith)
Hardy. This lady was born in Livingston County, N. Y., October 30, 1837, and was thirteen years old when she came to Michigan with her parents, who settled upon section 17, Oceola Township. Both parents lived to a good old age the father dying when seventy-two years old and the mother living to complete eighty-one years.
The first home of the young wedded couple was in a log house, 20x22 feet in dimensions located on section 17, Oceola Township. After one year in this house they removed to the present location and made their home in another log house. After clearing up and improving the farm they began to think of having a better residence, and erected the pleasant house in which they now live in 1860. He fenced his
land, set out orchards, built barns, and put the place in a first-class condition.
With the exception of two who died in infancy, the seven children who blessed this primitive home
have grown up to occupy positions of responsibility in the community. They are as follows:
Sarah Emma was the wife of Charles Young, and has now passed from this life; Adelbert resides
upon a farm in this township and has taken to wife Julia Brown, who has presented to him two children--Ollie and Goldie; Phoebe J., who is the
wife of James Filkin, resides in Howell Township, and is the mother of the following children--Arnold, Dexter and Herbert; Juddie resides at home;
and Elsie, now Mrs. Elmer Armstrong, resides in Hartland Township.
Our subject has two hundred and sixty acres of
good land on his home place, one hundred acres on section 29, all under cultivation, as well as one hundred acres of finely tilled land in Howell Township. He also has a half interest in a flouring mill in Hartland Township, known as the Parshall mill, besides property in the city of Howell. All this has been acquired by his own efforts, seconded by the helpfulness of his faithful companion, as they began without capital. He has given his son Adelbert eighty acres, a good house and barn and all the other appurtenances of a first-class farm. He and his good wife are bringing up a little grandson, Herbert Walker
Filkin, the son of their second daughter. His political views have brought
him into active co-operation with the Republican party, in which he has great confidence, and for which he is glad to cast his vote.
BREISCH. The Northern Central States are so productive of grain that it is not surprising that the milling business should have representatives not only in the large cities, which
are the centers of trade, as in Minneapolis, St. Paul, Duluth and Chicago, but every town of any
pretensions whatever has mills that are equipped with the latest and most approved appliances for converting our cereals into the
farinaceous products. Many of the largest of these mills are owned and conducted by
Germans, who show special aptitude for conducting the mechanical portion of the business as well as the broader management of exporting, and finding a market that shall bring in the highest returns. The city of Lansing, being so accessible to the grain districts by rail is an important point for shipping grain to the mill, and of the mills of this kind none are larger or more important than that of which our subject is manager.
The finely-equipped mill in North Lansing enjoys the general oversight of Christian
Breisch, who was one of its organizers, the organization taking form and becoming an accepted fact in March, 1889. It was officered as follows: J. F. Schultz, President; D. C.
Hurd, Vice-President; Charles
H. Osborn, Secretary and Treasurer and Mr. Breisch, Manager. He is also one of the largest, in fact the principal stockholder. The North Lansing Milling Company built their present mill in 1889. The building comprises four stories with a basement. It has a frontage of forty feet and is sixty feet deep and has a capacity of turning out two hundred and fifty barrels per day. The motive power employed is steam and also water.
Mr. Breisch, who is one of the most energetic of young men, is also a stockholder and Director in the People's Savings Bank and in fact almost every enterprise that has the least prospect and promise of a successful issue is not complete without his name as an active and interested agent. Besides the mill above spoken of the North Lansing Company have leased the Pearl Mill. It also has a capacity of two hundred and fifty barrels per day and the motive power
used here is also steam and water. Both these, mills employ the full roller process, by which flour is turned out so much more easily and quickly and is also better and whiter than by the old process.
Our subject is a native of this State and although he has come to the front so early as a business man of the best and highest qualifications, he is still very young and much may be expected of him in the future in commercial life. He was born in Ann Arbor, Mich., July 13, 1863. His father, Christian
Breisch, Sr. was a native of Germany and was there reared and educated. His grandfather Gotlieb Breisch, was a butcher in the Fatherland but brought his family to America at a
very early day, after which he engaged in the butcher business. He came to Lansing Township
and bought a farm, settling at an early day in Ingham County where he remained for some years.
Our subject's, father was also a butcher and he engaged in his calling for a number of years. On the breaking out of the Rebellion he enlisted in the war first serving as a private, but was advanced to an officer's post in Custer's Brigade and served until the close of the struggle, when he was
honorably discharged and came to Lansing where he engaged in the butcher's business. He was drowned in in Grand River at the head of the race December 29, 1876, breaking through the ice while attempting
to cross the river. Our subject's mother was Barbara Goss. She was born in Germany and is now a resident of Lansing where she enjoys the knowledge that her children have
become honored, and respected citizens, her son taking a prominent place in the municipal and
commercial interests of the city. She is the mother of two children. The
elder Carrie, is now Mrs. Langenbacher, of this city. The younger is our subject. Our subject's
mother was married a second time to Andrew Langenbacher. By this marriage she became the
mother of one child whose name is Robby.
Mr. Breisch was reared and educated to the age of
thirteen years in this city. At the age above mentioned he went to Marshall and apprenticed himself to a cabinet and furniture maker for a term
of three years. During this time he worked under Mr. J. F. Gauss. Then he returned and entered the employ of D. W. & M. J. Buck, where he remained for seven years. September 1, 1885, he
left this employ and Mrs.
Langenbacher being the owner of the Pearl Mill early in 1886 our subject rented it and at once engaged in milling, continuing to conduct it until 1889 on his own account.
In 1888 the old plant was burned during the month of December and soon after our subject showed his enterprise by immediately setting about organizing a company to build up a new mill and
remodel the old. Both mills have a capacity of five hundred barrels a day, which is the largest
manufacturer of flour in the State outside of Detroit. The company buy their wheat at the elevators and ship to the Eastern markets, having a large market In Liverpool and Glasgow. However, most of their products are sent to Maine and Massachusetts and they enjoy a large local trade. The leading brand which is manufactured here bears the attractive name
"Morning Glory" and it is a favorite grade of flour with housewives in this portion of the country.
Profiting by the advice given in scriptures, that it is not good for man to live alone, Mr. Breisch was
married in the city of Lansing September 26, 1888, to Miss Emma Cushing. She is a native of the Empire State, having been born in that beautiful little seminary
town--Cazenovia. She is a daughter of Thomas R. Cushing, now a real-estate man in Detroit. Mrs. Breisch received her education for the most part in this city. She is a charming woman with attractive personelle and pleasing, affable manners. One child has blessed this
union--a daughter who is called Irene.
The original of our sketch is a Free and Accepted Mason and has attained to the Royal Arch degree. He is in his political preference a Democrat and uses his influence and vote in the service of that party. In religious matters he is liberal; his wife, however, is a member of the First Presbyterian Church.