WILLIAM W. THORBURN, V. S.
In Arabia a man's horses are a part of his family and any ill to one of these gentle yet high-spirited bearers of burdens is considered as much of a family calamity as sickness or death even to a child of the household. The tent that is the home of the shiek with his wife and children, is also the home of the steeds
that the wanderers of the deserts guard as their most precious treasure, and cruelty to their horses is regarded, as disgraceful. It is to be questioned whether any people understand the natures of these almost human animals better, but medicine and surgery have developed a branch to alleviate the suffering caused often by the thoughtless and ignorant if not cruel abuse of man. There
is no more skillful practitioner in this especial branch in this portion of the country than the
gentleman whose name is at the head of this sketch, and whose portrait is shown on the opposite page. His is a humane nature and one that understands the lower animals. He has the largest practice in veterinary surgery of any one in this county.
Image of Dr. William W.
Our subject is the proprietor of the institution know as Dr. Thorburn's Veterinary Infirmary which is the place of rest and tender, skillful care for injured or debilitated horses that the name would indicate. Dr. Thorburn was born in Holt, Delhi Township, Ingham County,
August 18, 1858. He is of Scotch ancestry, his father being, John Thorburn, born in Scotland. His paternal grandfather, James Thorburn, was a weaver. Our subject's grandfather came to America on the death of his
father and engaged in farming in this State, being thus employed until his decease, which took place in May, 1872, in Delhi Township. The father was a blacksmith by trade and was about twenty-five years of age when he came to this country,
bringing his family with him.
John Thorburn first located in Pittsburgh, Pa. after coming to this country and was there engaged in following his trade, and as a horse-shoer. In 1849 he came to Ypsilanti and there at once engaged in his trade. In 1852 he came to Lansing and buying out the firm of Ferguson, of North Lansing, built the first brick block which was erected in that place. There he located his shop and by close application to his business, in which he was obliged to stand much of the time over the furnace, he lost his health and was obliged to give up active business. He then located on a farm in Delhi Township, where he still resides. On first coming to Ypsilanti our subject's father purchased Government land and bent his energies to improving the same.
He followed farming for some time most successfully and is now the owner of over one thousand acres of fine arable land in Ingham County, seven hundred and twenty-five acres of which is included in one farm. This is well improved and stocked and is one of the most valuable as well as attractive
farms in the county, as its owner is one of the most prominent as well as largest farmers here. He is engaged extensively in breeding Short-horn. cattle, Merino and
For many years Mr. Thorburn, Sr. has identified himself with church work in the Presbyterian denomination having been
Elder in the church of which
he is a member for many years. Our subject's mother was in her maiden days, Miss Hannah
J. OIds. She was born in Brattleboro, Vt., and was a daughter of Alanson Olds, who was also a native of Vermont. He was a cabinet-maker and located
at Lansing in 1847. But after coming hither he engaged in the hotel business of North Lansing and afterward located
on a farm in Conway, Livingston County, where he died. Our subject's mother died in
March, 1889, at the age of sixty Years. She was a woman of sterling worth and
strong personality and bequeathed these traits to her son. She was the mother of three children.
W. W. Thorburn was raised on the home farm and received the rudimentary portion of his education at the district school of Mason, after which
he attended the High School, from which he was graduated with honors. When but nineteen years of age he began life for himself, working the home farm, then taking the adjoining farm under his proprietorship and continuing the cultivation of this until he was twenty-two. In 1881 he entered the Ontario Veterinary College where
he pursued his studies for two years, graduating in 1883, at which time
he received the title of Veterinary Surgeon.
In February, 1884, Dr. Thorburn located at Lansing and has since continued to practice his profession here. In 1887 he purchased the ground and built the infirmary of which he is at present proprietor. This institution is complete in every
detail, having all the latest improvements and being built according to the most advanced sanitary theories in use
in such places. It has fine box stalls, pneumatic troughs and is perfectly ventilated and lighted. It is, moreover, well located, being convenient and accessible, both by reason of
high road and railway advantages, to every portion of the surrounding country. Dr. Thorburn was the first graduate of veterinary surgery to locate in Lansing, and is the oldest practicing one now here. Much of his patronage is from adjoining
counties, as well as from his own locality. Horse dealers and owners in Eaton, Clinton, Ingham,
Ionia and other counties find Dr. Thorburn's Infirmary the safest and surest place to send
fine animals that perhaps have been hurt or have contracted some disease.
Our subject adds to his veterinary practice farming, being the owner of two hundred and forty acres of fine land in Delhi Township, only four miles from the city of Holt. It is devoted to stock farming and here one may find some of the finest specimens of equine beauties.
He is engaged in raising blooded horses, Short-horn cattle and fine wool sheep. His personal attention, however, is given to his infirmary, having an experienced foreman as supervisor of the stock farm. This
last named place is well improved, having good building and beautifully-tilled soil.
Dr. Thorburn was married in Morrice, Shiawassee County, October 20, 1886. His bride was a
Miss Marion Lang, who was a native of Scotland, having been born in Lark Hall, Lanarkshire,
August 18, 1861. She is a daughter of John Lang who is a native of the same place and was there a
carter. Her grandfather, Thomas Lang was also a carter. Her father came to America in 1880 and located in Delhi Township where
he engaged in farming. He is now in Alaiedon Township, this county. Mrs. Thorburn's mother was
in her maiden days, Miss Mary Cleland, also of Scotch birth and ancestry. She was a daughter of Thomas Cleland, a farmer in Scotland. Her family were adherents of the Presbyterian Church, which has so large a following in Scotland, of the strictest Calvinistic kinds.
Mrs. Thorburn is the fourth child in a family of twelve children who lived to be grown. She was reared and educated in
her native country and came to America in 1881 in the steamer
"Bolivia", a delightful trip of nine days from her starting point to New York. Their sailing port was Greenock. After coming to this country they at once located in Delhi Township, where she lived with her parents until
her marriage. One child graces this union, a boy, who is the pride and object of the fondest hopes
on the part of both parents.
Our subject interests himself in every way that can be of advantage to him in the acquiring of knowledge that pertains to his profession. He is a
member of the State Veterinary Medical Association and is on the standing committee in regard to legislation in veterinary matters.
He is a constant attendant upon all the State meetings and is an active worker in this society. In his church relations our subject is by inclination as by bringing up, a member of the Presbyterian denomination and has been Treasurer of the church in Holt for a number of years. In his political predilection
he is a thorough Republican, finding in the tenets and doctrines of that party the balance of what is best and truest in political life.
HAMMOND. He whose name is at the head of this sketch has for twenty years been engaged in settling the disputes of people, whose frailty of temper or strained ideas of equity bring them into the Justice Court, and during that time he has commended himself to the good graces of just men, and become the terror of offenders against our laws. He was born in Ontario County, N.Y., June 30, 1824, and is the son of Potter and Huldah (Robinson) Hammond, both natives of the Empire State. The mother having died, May 15, 1837, our subject with his father soon after came to Michigan, locating in Hanover, Jackson County, where the latter entered some Government land.
Spending his boyhood days in the primitive and often uncleared wilds of Jackson County, the lad grew up a thoughtful young man, with a natural trend toward logical reasoning.
He there began the study of medicine, reading all the books upon which
he could lay hands. He afterward attended the Medical College at Cleveland, Ohio, where he graduated in the regular practice.
He afterward located at Charlotte, Eaton County, where he practiced for about two years. In the meantime
he took upon himself the responsibilities of married life, his bride being Miss Mary
Linderman, a daughter of Peter and Caroline (Harton) Linderman.
In 1852 our subject determined to go to California, and uncertain as to whether it would be better to remain there, he moved his family to Mason until he should decide upon the best course to pursue in regard to their following him. There they remained until he had been gone two years. His journey out was made by the overland route, and his experience in crossing the plains is a memorable
one. He came back, however, by way of the Isthmus, and found the variety of this trip delightful to a degree.
While practicing his profession in the land of the Golden Gate, he was also engaged in mining. On his return he established himself at Okemos, in Ingham County, where he lived until the breaking out of the Rebellion, when he joined the army, being appointed by Gov. Blair as Surgeon in the Twenty-second Michigan Infantry. He was with that regiment until the close of the war, and
was often placed in many dangerous positions while in the line of duty on the field of battle. He was a
participant in the campaigns before Atlanta, Nashville and in other battles. At Nashville the rebels fired upon the hospital in the face of some half dozen yellow flags, which were the recognized hospital emblem. During his service
he suffered a severe spell of sickness, which developed into spasmodic asthma, and after his return from the army he had to discontinue the practice of medicine, because of the shattered condition of his constitution.
Mr. Hammond moved to the town of Mason, Ingham County, in 1870, and was soon after elected to the position of Justice of the Peace, in which capacity he has ever since served, with the exception of one year. Many cases have been tried before him, and the decision of but few has been questioned or reversed. Our subject has three children, who have taken honorable positions in professional and social life. The eldest child, a daughter, Kate M., married Dr. Ferguson,
of Okemos. He is a graduate of both the old school and the school of homeopathy, uniting in the two the best theory and practice found in each. Eugene is a printer, engaged in work at Philadelphia. Charles Fremont is a rising lawyer in the city of Lansing, this state.
The original of our sketch votes with the Republican party. His first vote was cast in 1844,
for Henry Clay, but since the formation of the Republican party, he has given the weight of his vote and influence to it.
Mr. Hammond is a member of the Presbyterian Church, and is a generous supporter and upholder of the same. In his social
life he is a Master Mason.
ANSEL R. L. COVERT. The gentleman of whom we write is pleased to trace his
ancestors back through generations of honorable men and women to France, where the
name was originally Couver. The family was driven out of their native land and took refuge in Holland where the prefix Van was added to the name. George VanCouver, the distinguished navigator, was a member of the family during that part
of its history. Those who came to America soon dropped the Dutch prefix and finally changed the name to Covert. The maternal grandparents were
Isaac and Polly Chandler, natives of New Jersey who settled in Seneca County, N.Y., at an early date and came to Michigan, settling in Vevay Township, Ingham County, early in the history of that section.
Our subject was born in Covert, Seneca County, N.Y., June 12, 1831, his parents being
Mahlon and Sallie (Chandler) Covert, natives of the same town. The paternal grandparents were Bergum and
Ann Covert, natives of New Jersey, who were early settlers in Seneca County, N.Y. The
township of Covert in that county took its name from this family and at one time no one but Coverts
lived within its bounds. The parents of our subject grew up together from childhood being close
neighbors and were married in Covert and made their home there until 1837, when they came to
Michigan and settled on a farm in what is now Leslie Township, Ingham County. The land which
they took was all in a wild condition and heavily timbered and they did thorough pioneer work in subduing it
and putting it in a state of cultivation.
The widowed mother who was bereaved of her husband in February, 1888 when
he had completed his four-score years, still lives on the old place where
she settled in her early married life, fifty-four years ago. She has now completed eighty
years of faithful and useful life. Her husband was a farmer all his lifetime and although
he began without means obtained a handsome property, before his death. He worked his way up alone and being a man of decided opinions and beliefs, possessed of sterling integrity and a keen sense of right and wrong,
he won the respect and admiration of all who knew him and exerted a decided influence over those with whom
he came in contact. He was originally Whig but finally became a Republican.
The office of Supervisor of Leslie Township was twice filled by Mahlon Covert, besides numerous other township offices. Both
he and his wife found pleasure in active church work and were members of the Baptist Church. For more than fifty
years he was a Deacon in that body and exerted a great influence in the matters of religion and was in every sense useful in his day and generation. They had four children, namely: Ansel R. L.,
Samantha C., Mary A., and Monmouth I. all of whom are living.
The farm in Leslie Township was the scene of the early life of our subject after his parents removed thither in 1837. He received his education in the common schools and took one term at what is now the Hillsdale College, then located at Spring Arbor, Mich. He remained on the farm with his father, teaching school during the
winter, until he reached the age of twenty-six years, when he was elected County Clerk of Ingham County by the Republicans in the fall of 1856, and held that office for four years.
After leaving his clerkship Mr. Covert came to Leslie and engaged in general merchandising in partnership, with Thomas H. Reed and
at the same time held the offices of Justice of the Peace and Township Clerk. After
three years he gave up his other business and devoted himself entirely to his work as
a Justice and after a year when the Jackson, Lansing & Saginaw Railroad was built through Leslie
he was made its agent, and has been railroad and express agent ever since.
He is now serving his twenty-sixth year in that capacity. The railroad we have just mentioned is now known as
the Saginaw Division of the Michigan Central, with which road Mr. Covert is now connected.
He owns stock in the People's Bank of Leslie and has acquired the possession of a fine eighty-acre farm
in Leslie Township.
The lady who so graciously presides over the household of our subject became Mrs. Covert
September 22, 1858. Her maiden name was Mary C. Root and her home was in Mason,
Mich. She is a native of the Wolverine State, having been born in Plymouth, Wayne Count y in 1839 and is a
daughter of Stephen Root. Mr. and Mrs. Covert have had six children, namely: John F. (deceased); Carrie, Vernie (deceased), Gertrude, Grace and
Carrie is the wife of Willis E. Pickett of the South Omaha (Neb.)
National Bank. She is a typewriter and stenographer, and is the only one of the children who is away from home. Mr.
Covert and his wife are active and influential members of the Baptist Church, and theirs is one
of the representative families of Ingham County, is their long residence here, their superior
character, their high intelligence and ability, as well as their social qualities place them upon the highest
plane. The political views of our subject have led him to affiliate with the Republican party and
he is respected as one of its strong men. He is also a representative member of the Independent Order
of Odd Fellows and is highly respected by the fraternity.
LUTHER, is a farmer and
stock-raiser on section 9, of Delhi Township, Ingham County, Mich. He has passed more than the
three-score and ten years usually allotted to man, and yet his mental faculties
are as unclouded as ever. He has here ninety acres of
and of which he himself is the active proprietor, and which seem to suffer no diminution of care and
attention from the early years when it was his pride to keep his farm on a par with the best in the
county. He is a native of the Empire State, having been born in Clinton County, N.Y.
March 4, 1820. He is the son of William and Eunice (Allen) Luther, the former a native of Rhode Wand, that little State that was a pioneer in the Revolutionary methods adopted toward the mother country, and which sent out the first ship to battle for independence. The mother was a native of Vermont,
where they were married in South Hero. They moved to New York where Mr. Luther, Sr., was engaged in farming until
he removed to Lenawee County, in 1833.
When our subject's parents first entered Michigan, they proceeded immediately to enter land
from the Government, and to thereon make a home. Our subject was the youngest of a family
of ten children, all of whom grew up and made homes for themselves. There are now but three
members of the family living. It is believed by many members of the family and indeed, there is evidence of the truth of the belief, that the family
are descendants of Martin Luther, the father of the great reform movement in Europe.
Col. Ebenezer Allen, our subject's grandfather, was a soldier in the Revolutionary War and was an own cousin of
Ethan Allen, that Revolutionary hero who won the victory of Ticonderoga. On the very day that the death of the
old hero occurred, he was at Mr. Luther's grandfather's house and purchased a load of hay. While driving home in the gloaming,
he was suddenly stricken down, a victim of apoplexy. Our subject has been three times married. His first wife lived only three months and ten
days after their marriage. Two members of his family, his wife and his father, were taken in two consecutive
months of 1841, both victims of malaria, that dread disease of early settlers. His wife expired in the month of September and his father in October. Mr. Luther came to his present farm in 1842, purchasing
one hundred and twenty acres of his brother, and trading his interest
there for in the homestead in Lenawee County. The years since that time have been
filled with a constant improvement and culture of his place, and it is now one of
the prettiest plots in the township, having a good class of buildings and the acres spreading on either side being
as well tilled and fruitful as they are fertile.
Four children were born of Mr. Luther's (270)
second marriage. Only one of these is living, now residing on a farm in Jackson County, Mich.; he has two children, a boy and a girl. One grandchild, a son of Jane, whose name is J.
I. Shaw, survives, and is at the present time a boy of ten years of age. By the third marriage there were no children. The land of which our subject is proprietor, is worth at least $80 per acre, being under the best of cultivation and having good improvements. Politically, our subject has always been a Democrat. Now, however, he is an Alliance man, believing that if there is any advantage to be
gained for the class of which he is one and a representative, that his brother agriculturists must unite and voice their desires through one of their own representatives. He has never had any ambition to fill public office and has always refused to serve in any such capacity.
HENDERSON. Age has its prerogatives. No matter what the conditions of life or the social standing, there are some things before which youth instantly and involuntarily uncovers in the presence of the silent appeal which gray hair and stooping shoulders present. One of its prerogatives should be rest from the labors for there are surely young men and women enough to take the burden from the shoulders that have so long borne them. He of whom we write has shifted the burden, and is now living in retirement from the active duties incident to business life, having formerly been a merchant and miller in the city of Mason, Ingham County. Beginning at an early age the serious business of caring for himself, he continued through life to be prudent and industrious and in his old age is able to retire with a comfortable competency that insures him immunity from want or care.
Mr. Henderson was born in the town of Tully, Onondaga County, N.Y., October. 1, 1815. He is a son of Phineas and Rachael (Miller) Henderson; the father was a Scotchman by birth, and, settled in New Jersey at an early day. The mother
who was born in America, was of German descent. Our subject was bereft of both parents when but a mere child, his mother's decease occurring when
he was but seven years of age, and the father passing away when he was only eight. His oldest brother, Peter, was the first white child born in the town of Tully, Onondaga County, N.Y. Our subject was the youngest of a family of nine children, of whom there were six boys and three girls, and on his parents' decease
he was taken into his brother Peter's family and cared for by him.
Perry Henderson spent his boyhood days on a farm which his brother Peter operated,
until he was eighteen years of age. He received but a common-school education, but by close application, he was enabled to become a teacher at the age of nineteen. He taught for several winters, spending the summer months in farming. He then worked by the month for one year. The
following year he operated a farm which he had hired and then purchased a small farm of seventy-five acres, and the fact that he was enabled so to do, proves that he had been economical, hoarding his earnings until they aggregated quite a sum. He continued to own the farm referred to, until he came to Michigan in 1845. He was married February, 1838 to Miss Huldah Christian, a daughter of John and Huldah (Heath) Christian. By this marriage there were seven children, three of whom are still living. Those who died left no families. The living children are Henry P., Wade J. and a daughter, whose name is Catherine E. Henry P. was born in Tally Township, Onondaga County, N. Y. February, 1843. After coming to Mason with his parents, he studied law and here married. He was appointed by President
Cleveland, Territorial Judge for the Territory of Utah and served for a period of four years. His home is now in Ogden, Utah,
where he is engaged in the practice of his profession. He is married but has no children. Wade J. was born in Vevay Township, Ingham County, 1853. He has been engaged in the boot and shoe trade in Portland, Mich. His partner in life is deceased and their only son, Richard R. Henderson, makes his home with our subject. He served as a page during the last meeting of the Michigan Legislature. He is but fifteen years of
age, and earned $250. Our subject's only living daughter, Catharine E. Henderson, was born
in 1855. She has always suffered the disadvantage of having poor health.
She makes her home with her father.
Mr. Henderson came to Michigan in 1845, locating in Leroy Township, Ingham County, where he purchased a farm, living upon it for a period of nine years. At the expiration of that time
he was elected Sheriff, and it being necessary that he should have a more central residence
he removed to Mason, and was elected Superintendent of the County Poor, serving in this capacity two terms of two years each.
He had previously been Supervisor of Leroy Township for five years, an after coming to Mason, was elected Supervisor of Vevay Township four times. This was previous to its separation from the city proper.
Politically our subject is a Democrat of the Jeffersonian stamp and type. He was Mayor of the city for one term and has served as Alderman from the first ward a number of times. In his religious connection
he is a member of the Baptist Church as is also his wife, and he performs the office of Deacon in that body. Our subject was the originator and upbuilder of the Phoenix Flouring Mills, erecting the building and starting it to running in the fall of
1858. He was connected with the mill some ten years, at the same time having a partnership in the hardware business and
it a general oversight from the years 1868 to 1885. He has handled agricultural implements to some extent, and has also auctioneered. He feels that at his age
he does not care to again enter business and indeed, there is no necessity for his doing so.
ELISHA R. SMEDLEY. That persistent
industry and good judgment almost invariably win success is a fact whose truth has
never been disputed, and upon the possessor of these traits of character fortune usually showers
her blessings. Lansing Township, Ingham County, is noted for the many beautiful farms which
lie within her boundaries, and it is universally admitted that no portion of the State has been improved to a greater extent than the vicinity of the
capital city. Business and pleasure often call the traveler to various portions of the township, and
as he passes along the Pine Lake Road, he invariably pauses with admiring gaze at the
homestead of Mr. Smedley, which is pleasantly located one-half mile north-east of the city limits of
It is only through long continued effort that Mr. Smedley has attained to his present position, where
he can reflect upon the past with satisfaction and look forward to a future spent in the enjoyment of a comfortable competency. His fine farm on section 2, comprises one hundred acres, and is embellished with a substantial
set of buildings, the most noticeable among them being the commodious residence wherein
he and his estimable wife dispense a generous hospitality. The barns are conveniently arranged and adapted to the storage of grain and shelter of stock, while the fertile soil yields to the careful husbandman a bountiful harvest of golden grain.
The owner of this fine property is the soil of Solomon G. and Polly (Wright) Smedley, natives of the State of Vermont, who removed to Tioga County, N.Y., in 1822, land from there to Onondaga County, the same State. In that
county Elisha R., of this sketch, was born January 23, 1827, and there his early years were uneventfully passed. His father followed the trade of a
blacksmith, and was also a farmer he was a soldier in the War of 1812, and served on Lake Champlain
as a Minute Man. An honorable man , whose every action was characterized by integrity, by dint of his industry
he raised himself from a humble rank to a position of influence in the community where
he so long resided. His death occurred in 1889, at the age of ninety-one years. The paternal grandfather of
our subject, Samuel Smedley, was also a native of Vermont.
Upon arriving at man's estate, our subject commenced
in life for himself as a farmer, and pursued the even tenor of his way, engaged in a peaceful conflict with the unimproved and
weed producing soil. For many years he worked alone, (272)
but finally concluded that he could accomplish more with the aid of an efficient helpmate, and accordingly he wooed and won as his wife Miss Sarah M. Russell, a daughter of Nathan Russell, a native of Wayne County, N.Y. The bride was born in that county, August 31, 1842, and was carefully trained by her parents for the duties which afterward came to her. The ceremony which united her with our subject was solemnized September 9, 1869, and of the happy union three children have been born. Frank
L. who was born October 22, 1874, is now attending the Interlake Commercial College of Lansing, and preparing himself for a commercial life; Orrin E. and Warren L., twins, were born January 14, 1879. Warren died in infancy, and Orrin still remains under the parental roof.
In 1866 Mr. Smedley came to Michigan, proceeding directly to the farm upon which he is now located, and which he had purchased one year previous to his permanent location here. It was at that time timber land, and all the improvements upon it stand as monuments to his industry and energy. In politics he is a Republican, and has served his fellow-citizens in Various positions of responsibility. He is an attendant of the Methodist Episcopal Church, to which his wife belongs.
CURTIS E. HAUGHAWOUT. The business men of Lansing, Ingham County, are a class of whom the city may well feel proud, as they have added greatly, not only to her financial strength, but also to her reputation among the cities of Michigan. Their probity and enterprise, their intelligence and united efforts for the upbuilding of business interests in the capital city have been a power which cannot be lightly estimated.
Our subject, who has one of the finest stores in the city and is a man of genuine and widespread popularity, is in the retail grocery trade. He was born in Brimfield, Portage County, Ohio, January 7, 1856 and is the son of Charles Haughawout who was a farmer and
an early settler in Brimfield.
The grandfather, Peter, was a Pennsylvanian by birth but died in Brimfield. The father came to Michigan in the fall of 1871 and located at North Lansing where he engaged in farming and still owns a farm of eighty acres adjoining the corporation. The mother, who was Sarah, daughter of John Boosinger, was born in Brimfield, Ohio, and died in North Lansing at the age of fifty-five years. She was a devoted member of the Universalist Church, and our subject was her only child by this union. By her first marriage she has one son, E. D. Sawyer, who enlisted in 1861, in the Forty-second Ohio Infantry, and served until the close of the war, coming out of the army with the rank of a Sergeant. He now resides in Cleveland, Ohio, and is a prominent citizen of that city, being the ex-Sheriff of the county.
He of whom we write was brought up as farmer boys are upon the farm and attended the district school. He attended the North Lansing School and later the High School and at the age of eighteen years took a course in Bartlett's Business College. He then obtained
a situation as bookkeeper for B. E. Hart, a miller at North Lansing, and remained with him for some time, finally taking charge of the business whenever Mr. Hart was away. After being manager of this concern for some five years, he started into business for himself. He had meanwhile engaged in buying wheat on the street at North Lansing for Hart Bros.
In 1883 our subject started in the grocery business, becoming a partner with his father under the firm name of Haughawout & Son. They established themselves first in North Lansing on Turner Street and afterward on Franklin Street. Three years later they started a branch store on Washington Avenue in Lansing, which was especially under the charge of the son, while he still continued as partner in the original store. After an experimental six months, the young man sold out his interest in the old store to his father and devoted himself entirely to his new store, enlarging it and improving it and soon being able to buy out his father's interest in the
Lansing enterprise. Two years later he sold out the entire business and then began in a drugstore, in the Smith Block on Washington Avenue. Six months later he removed his stock to his
present stand and added a line of groceries. He found this to be the more profitable venture, and disposing of his drug business has since then enlarged and improved his grocery store, until
he has one of the best establishments in the city.
Ida Elder was the name by which Mrs. Haughawout
was known in her maiden days. She was married in 1879 and is a daughter of Capt. Mathew Elder,
an architect by profession, who died from the effect of a wound which he received at Gettysburg. His wife departed this life in 1881. Mr. Haughawout has served one term as Alderman
of the First Ward and has also been Supervisor for one year. He is prominently identified with the
Free and Accepted Masons and the Knights of Pythias. Although he does not devote much time
to politics he gladly serves his party upon the Ward Committee, and he has an unfailing confidence in
the future prosperity of the Democratic party.