ROWLEY. Journalism offers a
broad field to the man who aspires to literary honors and although of modern
origin comparatively, the literary element in our newspapers has discovered to
the world many a star who might otherwise have shone unseen. He of whom we write is the editor and proprietor of the Lansing Journal, a breezy sheet that besides mirroring the general trend of public sentiment, contains much of real merit in journalism.
Mr. Rowley is also Deputy Secretary of State, appointed to the position by Secretary of State Soper in January, 1891.
The original of our sketch was born in Ionia County, May 17, 1858.
He is the son of George and Catherine (Green) Rowley, the father being one of the early settlers and born in Monroe County, N.Y., as was the mother likewise. After marriage they came to Ionia County, Mich., about 1855-56, and there lived, the father being employed
as a machinist. He continued to reside in Ionia until his demise, which occurred in 1862.
Until thirteen years of age our subject was occupied with his school duties. A bright lad naturally, he was neither better nor worse than the majority of boys, nor could he resist the temptation to "have some fun" more than other boys. After
he had attained the manly age of thirteen he worked in the Sentinel office of Ionia, and has been connected with this office in one capacity and another ever since, working up
from the beginning.
He soon engaged as a reporter and continued doing that line of work until 1879, when he purchased
an interest in the Ionia Standard, which was the political organ of the Democratic party in that place. In 1883 Mr. Rowley
removed to Lansing and purchased the Lansing Journal, which is the Democratic organ in this city. In January, 1887, our subject established the Daily
Journal, which has held its own in the face of all opposition since its inception.
He now gives the major portion of his time to a general oversight of the journalistic work that is
done in his office.
Mr. Rowley was married January 18, 1882, to Miss Mary C. Clark, of Ionia. One child, a,
son, is the result of this union, named Edward C. Mr. Rowley is a, genial, whole-hearted man, who has a host of friends.
He is a member of the Knights of Pythias and also belongs to the Royal Arcanum.
He and his wife, who is a charming lady, with gracious, dignified manners, are attendants and supporters of the Congregational Church.
ALEXANDER McMILLAN, M.
Unswerving integrity, rugged independence, sturdy industry and an honorable regard for the laws of God and men are among the most notable characteristics of the Scottish Highlanders. To have descended from them is a
guarantee of the possession of these traits, and it is an heritage of great value to any citizen. Our subject, who is one of the prominent physicians of this city, is proud to boast of' such an ancestry.
Dr. McMillan was born in the County of Glengarry, Canada,
on March 5, 1845, and is the son of Duncan and Mary (McDonell) McMillan, the father being a farmer by occupation, and both father and mother were children of Scotch
Highlanders who came to Canada in 1798. The County of Glengarry was settled by this class of the Scotch, and in the early days of our subject not a word of English was heard in social conversation. The father of the Doctor remained in that county throughout his lifetime, but after the early boyhood
and school days of our subject, the latter spent some years in a store, first in Canada and
afterward in Chicago.
In the metropolis of the Prairie State young McMillan began business for himself, and in this
he was fairly successful until the great fire, in which he was burned out.
He accepted this disappointment in a philosophic manner, and gave up the mercantile business, and now began his medical studies, entering the Belleview Hospital Medical College in New York City. After studying there one year
he went into the Long Island Hospital Medical College, from which institution he was graduated in 1874. He afterward attended a course of lectures in Trinity College, Toronto, Canada.
In 1876, the young Doctor was ready to begin practice, and being attracted to Michigan, he decided to open his office in the capital city of our State, and here he has, continued with true Scottish steadfastness from that day to this, devoting himself to general practice. His thorough medical education prepared him for the successful practice which has been his, and his sound judgment and skill have given him a standing in the profession. He is a member of the Lansing Medical Society, and was its President for one year. He has been City Physician and Chairman of the Board of Health for five years, and is now and has been for
four years past the County Superintendent of the Poor of Ingham County, and also fills the office of President of the State Association of County Superintendents of the Poor. He is by appointment of the Governor, Chairman and member of the Central Board of Control of State Institutions, having received his appointment in October, 1891, for a term of six years. The happy wedded life of Dr. McMillan began in 1873, when he was united with Miss Josephine Marie Curtin, of Peterboro, Canada, to whom has been born one child,
Donald, who is still a young boy and is receiving a thorough education from his careful and judicious parents. Mrs. McMillan's brother, J. C. Curtin, is a distinguished author and journalist, and lives in Brooklyn, N.Y. Our subject's eldest brother, Donald McMillan, also a physician, living at Alexandria, Ontario, is a life member of the Dominion Senate.
JACOB EICHELE. Although our subject is not yet an old man, having only reached that point of vantage where
he can live in the bright experience of the past and in the enjoyment of the memories that have made his youth interesting and piquant,
he has retired from active business, having formerly been proprietor of the Eichele House, which he had managed for eighteen years. He now, however, leases it to his son-in law, having given up the place into his care, May 1, 1891. Our subject has ever been a genial, whole-souled man, and in his capacity as host he has become familiar with many of the men prominent in political life, as well as others who have taken their stand
high up in the ranks of literature, the arts and sciences.
Our subject was born in Germany, in the city of Wurtemberg, December 3, 1826. There he received the advantages of that country, which is more noted for having better educational theories and methods than any other nation, combining technical training with the mental development. He came to the United States in 1854, locating first in Ohio. He remained in Wyandot County, of that State for eleven years. During this time he
married Miss Mary Funck. Their marriage was celebrated in June, 1855. The lady, like her husband, is a native of Germany, being there born January 31, 1834. She came to the United States, where she had a brother, at the same time and on the same boat on which our subject came over. While in Ohio, he of whom we write was employed on a farm and amassed with his work there a comfortable competency. Thence he came to Jackson, this State, and has here lived for one year, when
he removed to Lansing in 1867, and engaged in the boarding-house business, having connected with the house a saloon. He is the oldest German business man in this city.
Not content with the business that he had built
up Mr. Eichele sought handsomer and more commodious quarters, and erected at a large expense the
Eiehele House, a three-story brick hotel, located at No. 206 North Washington Avenue, and continued as the proprietor and owner of this place until 1891, as above mentioned, when
he leased his place to his son-in-law. Our subject has never had any ambition to hold local office,
having given his attention to building
up his business and in providing his guests with those comforts and luxuries to which
they are entitled.
Mr. and Mrs. Eichele are the parents of five children. Most of them have attained
the years of manhood and womanhood, and are in business for themselves or preside over a home of their own. The eldest son, John, is a grocer, having his store in the building adjoining our subject's hotel. Frank lives upon and operates the farm owned by our subject in Clinton County, this State.
Anna, the wife of William F. Graessle, the proprietor of the Eichele House, is a capable and competent business woman. Mary, the wife of Walter Bliss,
lives at Cleveland. Otto still remains with his parents and reflects to them in his young life the pleasures and buoyancy that they in their young life experienced. Socially our subject is connected with the Masonic fraternity, but is not
now a member of that society. He however, has been allied with them since 1863, at which time
he joined the society in Ohio.
MOSES R. TAYLOR. This worthy and honorable gentleman, who is now
the Crier of the Supreme Court, has been a resident of Lansing, Ingham County, since April,
1863. He was in various lines of business in this city up to the time he received his appointment,
and is well known among business men of the place.
Our subject was born in Frenchtown, Hunterdon
County, N.J., February 16, 1817. His father, Abel Taylor, was also a native of Frenchtown and his grandfather, Edwin, was born in New Jersey and was of English descent.
The grandfather had a large and fine farm on the Delaware River, and although he was an invalid for many years he lived to
an advanced age. Both he and his wife had brothers who served in the Revolutionary conflict.
The father of our subject was a farmer in New
Jersey, who, by an accident became a cripple, and he therefore devoted himself to teaching and surveying being an excellent penman and a fine scholar.
In 1835 he decided to come West, and removing to Ohio, located in Erie County, near the boundaries of Sandusky County, where
he lived upon a farm through the remainder of his days. His wife, Rachel Everitt, was born in Everittstown,
N.J., her father, Samuel, being a merchant there for whom the town was christened. Besides his merchandise
he carried on the business of distilling and milling.
Moses Taylor is the youngest in the parental family of seven children, and until he was nine
years of age he remained upon the farm and then went to Hackettstown, Warren County, N.J., and afterward to Morristown and Newark, in all of these places attending the select school, and
beginning business at the age of fifteen years by clerking in a grocery store in Newark. After two years
he went to Morristown and spent three years there as a clerk in a hotel before the railroad was introduced. He then engaged in various lines of business until 1844 when he came West and undertook farming for several years in Erie County, Ohio, after which
he was in a hotel at Sandusky, and afterward at St. Lawrence and Townsend, and finally became proprietor of the Townsend House. From there
he went to Toledo and took charge of the Oliver House, but being afflicted with the
Maumee fever he spent two years in recuperating. In 1863 he came to Lansing as clerk for Martin Hudson at the old American House, and afterward the old Hudson House.
Mr. Taylor was the pioneer in the ice business in Lansing, as in 1864
he opened the first public ice house and put the first wagon on the streets.
After two years he sold this business and was in Pennsylvania for some time and after coming back pursued various lines of business such as expressage and hotel work. In 1880, during the January term of court he received the appointment as Crier in the Superior Court of Michigan and since that time he has been at this post of duty, in which
he is faithful and efficient. He is a member of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows and in his political views is attached to the Republican party although
he is independent in his vote. Before the formation of that party he had been a Whig. He is one of the men who are known best by their work, as his modesty and devotion to duty are more prominent than his ability to speak his own praises.
EDSON, a clairvoyant physician, having his home and office at No. 519 Cedar Street, N., in the city of Lansing, Ingham County, was born in Royalton Township, Cuyahoga County, Ohio, October 28, 1846. He is a son of John Brooks and Marilla (Eastman) Edson. His father in his early days was a blacksmith and later became a salesman for a large marble house at Cleveland. He came to Lansing in 1868 and kept an hotel in North Lansing, but afterward removed to Williamston, where
he retired from active work for the rest of his days. He had two children, our subject and a daughter by his third wife, who was born six weeks after his death, which sad event took place on Christmas Day, 1880.
The subject of this sketch received his education in Cleveland, and learned the trade of a machinist at which he worked for nearly four years until he received an injury. His employer was very kind and helpful to him in gaining his education, as the boy was dependent upon himself from the time
he was twelve years old. He was employed upon the the lake from 1864 to 1867, and about that time he
had developed his clairvoyant powers and began practicing for the relief of the sick. The power first came to him on a sick bed on New Year's Day, 1866, and he claims that he then began to see the cause and nature of the disease. He has been in practice from that day to this, with the exception of two years when he was farming. He came to Lansing in 1868 and has built up a large practice
here, spending one day of the week in Fowlerville, and one day in Owosso. He has never advertised as
he depends entirely on the reputation which he gains among his patients, yet he is driven hard all
of the time, and has the best class of people among his patients. Roots and herbs and tinctures made from them are his main dependence as remedies.
Dr. Edson is one of the original stock holders of the Ingham County Savings Bank, and is Secretary of the Haslett Park Camp Association, being one of
its Directors, and acting as manager. He is President of the Mediums' Protective Union, and Treasurer of the same as well as Director and Treasurer of the Mediums'
Medical Association. At the time of the existence of the Spiritualists' Local Association
he was its Vice-President, and one of the Directors, and has been Vice-President of the State Association of Spiritualists and Liberalists.
He is a member of Protection Lodge, No. 321, I. O. O. F., and also of the Encampment and Uniformed Militant. He is also identified with the Masonic order, belonging to Lodge No. 66. He represented the Iodge of Odd Fellows at the Grand
Ledge for years. He has been through all the chairs, being now Past Grand.
Our subject was married June 23, 1870, to Catherine
Gaus, of this city, daughter of George Gaus, who had lived here since 1853. Mr. Edson was born February 16, 1850, in Wurtemberg, Germany, and came to this country in early childhood. She lost her mother, April 5, 1859, leaving this daughter, the oldest of seven children. After that she was away from home most of the time. She lived with Justin Watson until she was fifteen years old, after which she came to Lansing.
Our subject owns the handsome home in which he resides, which
he built in 1882, as well as a tenant house on Centre Street, N., and he is intending to build another soon. His property has
all been accumulated during the last nineteen years. Last year he built the Mediums' Home at Haslett's Park at Pine Lake. He is a friend to all mediums, and often advances money for their necessities.
CAMERON. The brave spirit of the Scottish Highlanders has descended through the North of Ireland to America and has in innumerable cases displayed its gallant colors upon the battlefield. We are proud to give a resume of the life of one of our
British American citizens who has done valiant service for the cause of his adopted country and has also the additional distinction of being one of the oldest settlers of Lansing, having come here in 1858.
Image of Alexander
Mr. Cameron was born in the North of Ireland, of Scotch parentage, August 26, 1830, and there
he received his education and was engaged as agent for a manufacturing establishment until after his marriage. His bride was Miss Sophia Wheeler who was born in Cornwall, England. Thence she came to Ireland with her parents and there met and married our subject. In the fall of 1856 the young couple came to Philadelphia and two years later emigrated to Lansing, Ingham County, when the population was only three thousand. Mr. Cameron devoted his time partly to teaching and partly to business until
the breaking out of the Civil War when he left home and took up arms to maintain the honor of the old flag.
Our young hero enlisted in Company G,
Sixteenth Michigan Infantry, which body was made a part of the Army of the Potomac and passed
through all the regular engagements of that division until the battle of Gaines' Mills.
In that engagement Mr. Cameron was wounded in the leg and sent to the hospital at Annapolis, June 27,
1862. He received treatment there until the latter part of August when he returned to his regiment
and was with his command up to the time of the battle of Gettysburg, with the exception of a short
period of time when he was detailed on special service.
At Gettysburg our subject, who had been promoted to the rank of a Lieutenant, was in command of his company and received first a wound in his arm and afterward a bullet through the lower lobe of his right lung. His arm was amputated on the field and
he was then removed to the West Building Hospital in Baltimore and from there was sent home, reaching Lansing the 14th of July 1863. At the time of the battle he was reported dead and as it was impossible in the midst of that confusion and disaster to get letters written home, Mr. Cameron prevailed upon his companions to bolster him up in bed the third day after his arm was amputated and to furnish him with a shingle, a bit of paper and a pencil. With his left hand he
then wrote by slow degrees a letter to his wife, telling her that he was alive and that he had lost his arm. His gallant conduct in the battle of Gettysburg earned for him a recommendation for promotion by the unanimous voice of all the officers of the regiment.
In the latter part of August Lieut. Cameron returned to his regiment and took part in the battle of Brandy Station, after which
he was with the army on its retreat to Culpeper. He was was then transferred to the veteran Reserve Corps, and in September, 1863, was sent down to South Carolina and there was in command with his
company of St. Helena and Lady's Island during part of 1864. He now received the promotion from Second to First Lieutenant according to the recommendation of his commanding officer, and was placed in charge of the Ambulance Corps of the Department of the South as acting Captain, drawing pay as captain although
he failed to muster in as such. While in South Carolina he participated in the following
battles in 1864: John and James Islands, Honey Hill and Deveaus' Neck.
He was transferred to the North at the close of the war and for some months was stationed in Detroit and was finally mustered out
June 30, 1866, having served five years.
Upon returning home Mr. Cameron devoted himself again to business and teaching, and managed a grocery store.
he was appointed to a position in the Auditor General's office under (412)
Gen. Humphrey and held a position in the various departments up to February
1st, 1891. At one time he was Secretary of the Swamp Land Commissioner
in the Land Office and only left his place in the Land Office upon the change of administration from Republican to
Democratic. His deposition from office was
sincerely deplored by all who knew his honorable record, as they felt that politics should have had no weight in the case of
a man who served under the flag for over five years and thus lost his right
arm and who had
done faithful service in the State offices.
Mr. Cameron engaged in the grocery business, establishing himself at
the corner of Lenawee and Chestnut Streets, where he receives a fair share of trade in his line. He is a member of the Charles T. Foster Post, No. 42,
G. A. R.; he and his excellent wife are members of the Congregational Church. The children who have blessed their home are all living but one. Marion G. is the wife of the Rev.
J. V. N. Hartness of Marine City; the eldest son is Dr. H. H. Cameron, of North Lansing; Richard passed away at the age of twenty-seven; Margaret A. is the wife of Dr. H. H. Darby, of Lansing; Sophia is Mrs. W. T. Parker, of Detroit, and Belle married Bert Prouty, of North Lansing.
In connection with this, biographical sketch the reader will notice a portrait of Mr. Cameron.
CLARK. One who has had
wide experience in journalistic work, Mr. Clark now has the editorial management of the paper known as the
State Republican. A man who has passed the meridian of life,
he began an early apprenticeship to the trade which he has ever since pursued and has served
in all the capacities from "devil" to his present position. Mr. Clark has traveled extensively and is a
delightful conversationalist, besides having the rare ability of using his pen with grace as well as strength.
The subject of this sketch was born in Western New York, May 17, 1837. His father was a native of Alabama and his mother was born in Ontario
County, N.Y. It would be an interesting item for a student of sociology to discover how
the respective elements are blended in the son, whether the Southern
fire tones the Northern conservatism, or whether the Northern characteristic predominates over the Southern.
Our subject spent a large portion of his childhood in the pursuit of his studies in the
schools of New York and served an apprenticeship as a printer. His early impressions of journalism were received to
a large extent from the veteran journalist, Thurlow Weed and J. T. Norton. At
the age of eighteen he went West and from that time until the close of the War of the Rebellion traveled extensively in
the West and Southwest, constantly engaged in journalistic work. During this period he had much experience in
the wild scenes of war west of the Mississippi where the lawless element carried
on a border warfare of their own.
Mr. Clark came to Michigan in 1866, settling first in Van Buren County, and was subsequently engaged on the Jackson
Citizen. November, 1869,
he came to Lansing and for about thirteen years was in the employ of W. S. George & Co. as printer, proof reader and city editor of the
Lansing Republican. While thus engaged he also found time to practice stenography and became very expert. He was one of the first to take up this study
in Central Michigan.
The subject of this sketch after locating in Lansing made two extended visits South and wrote
a series of exhaustive articles on the political and social conditions of the Gulf States. These appeared in the
Republican in 1876.
In 1884 Mr. Clark removed to Detroit where he was engaged on the Free
Press. He remained there about three years and subsequently was engaged
on the Tribune and Evening News. He is a charter member of K.
P. Lodge, this city, and Past Chancellor, also charter member of the Division K. P.; member of Lansing Lodge No. 33, F. & A.
M., Capital Chapter No. 9, R. A. M. and Thirty-Second degree Scottish Rite
Mr. Clark returned to the capital city in April
of 1889 and was engaged with D. D. Thorp, who is present proprietor of the
State Republican. After being engaged in the office for a few
he was made editorial manager and at the present time fills that important post. He is an ambitious and progressive gentleman who abhors mediocrity and whose standard in journalism is of the highest type.
A good citizen is ready to serve his country both in peace and war and he does serve it alike whether upon the
battle field or in pursuing his usual avocations, and by a life of integrity and industry
helping to build up the social and industrial interests of the vicinity in which he lives. The reflection
of a life thus spent makes the path straighter before the feet of the young, and helps to create a
public sentiment in favor of straightforward living and mutual helpfulness which is an advantage to the nation.
Among the citizens of Lansing, none are more truly respected for the record they have both in peace and war than Mr. McKinley. He is an old resident of the city and a carpenter whose pleasant home may be found at No. 734 Ottawa Street, W. He was born in Ft. Wayne, Ind., December 4, 1836, and is a son of Alexander and Nancy (Archer) McKinley, who were from Ohio. His father was a carpenter and contractor of Ft. Wayne.
Our subject grew to maturity, securing his education at Ft. Wayne, and learning of his father the trade which that parent practiced. He worked with him until
he left home to enter the Union Army, and enlisted December 17, 1861 in the Eleventh Indiana Battery, going out as a Sergeant. He was sent to the Army of the Cumberland and took part in the conflicts of Chickamauga, Lookout Mountain, Kenesaw and Mission Ridge, and through the long campaign to Atlanta. His first Conflict was at Pittsburg Landing and his last at
Atlanta, and he was discharged January 7, 1865, having served a little over three years. He was
promoted during this time from Quartermaster Sergeant to Orderly-Sergeant and Lieutenant,
which last named rank he held at the end of his term of service.
Returning to the peaceful pursuits of farm life, Mr. McKinley settled near Ft. Wayne for three years and upon the 8th of March, 1858, he was united in marriage with Miss Mary Pratt of Ft. Wayne. Ten years later he removed to Lansing to engage in contracting and grading, and many large jobs came info his
hands. He also went into the manufacture of wagons for a few years, his
factory being located on Shiawassee Street and Washington Avenue. Since he sold out that branch of business he has devoted himself quite exclusively to his trade. In 1886 he erected for his family a pleasant home in which they now reside. Three of his children have grown to maturity. The daughter, who became Mrs. C. P. LeFever died in October, 1889 and the sons, Frank and
Oscar L. reside in this city. Mr. McKinley is a man who is most highly spoken of by all who know him and he is an enthusiastic member of the Grand Army of the Republic and rejoices to commemorate with his comrades the Stirring days of the Civil War. In politics he is a Republican.
JASPER W. GARLICK
combines the business of Notary Public and insurance with his real-estate interests. He is recognized as one of the reliable and active real-estate men of the city of Lansing. His office is located at No. 115 Washington Avenue N. He has been in the real-estate business for about three years, having succeeded his father-in-law, Jacob Cornell, who established the business fully twenty years ago.
Mr. Garlick is more particularly interested in the sale of his own and his father-in-law's property, of which they have some very valuable pieces. He has, however, charge of a great deal of property belonging to non-residents, and acts as agent both for renting and selling. Born in Lucas County, Ohio, April 30, 1842, he of whom we write is a son of David and Emily (Fuller) Garlick.
His parents remained in the Buckeye State,
however, only a short time after his birth, and moved thence to Huntington County, Ind. There
their decease took place and they were buried in the little cemetery of the town, both dying in
January, 1856. After his parents' death our subject returned for a time to Lucas County, Ohio,
and remained until the breaking out of the war, when he enlisted in the Fourteenth Ohio Regiment, in Company F. He joined the army in 1861, and was sent to the front to meet the Army of the Cumberland in Tennessee.
He was with that army throughout all its campaigns and engagements until after
the capture of Atlanta and Jonesboro. He was a participant in the engagements at Chickamauga, Lookout Mountain Mission Ridge and
many others and the impression that that terrible experience made upon his mind is
only neutralized under the shadow of the national flag. At the expiration of his term of service Mr. Garlick was discharged in 1864,
soon after the battles of Jonesboro and Atlanta.
On leaving the army, our subject returned to Toledo, Ohio, and afterward entered the Adrian
Michigan College for a time. He soon, however, went to Big Rapids, in the year 1866, and
was engaged in mechanical work for a few years. In 1868 he came to Lansing and was
engaged by the State as Clerk in the Auditor-General's office under Gen. William
H. Humphry. In 1870 he was united in marriage with Miss Alice Cornell, their wedding being solemnized October 5.
With his bride he went back to Big Rapids, and there remained for one year until
he could close out his property. At the expiration of that time he returned to Lansing and here located himself
permanently. He had been variously engaged until the death of his father-in-law occurred, which
took place in March, 1888, and he immediately became the successor in
the real-estate business, which Mr. Cornell had conducted so long and successfully.
Like most of the brave men who have served their country in time of trial, Mr. Garlick takes great pleasure in the fraternity of the Grand Army of the Republic, and the experiences through which the veterans passed are always new. He is
at present Adjutant and has been both Junior and Senior Vice-Commander of
the post of which he is a member. Although he is connected with the Masonic fraternity,
he is not an active member. Our subject, and his wife are the parents of four children, whose names are as follows: Lela, Grace, Ralph and Mark.
It will not be out of place to here give a, slight
sketch of Mrs. Garlick's father, Jacob Cornell, as Mr. Garlick's career is so closely connected with
that of his father-in-law. The gentleman was born in Poughkeepsie, N.Y. On reaching manhood
he came to Michigan. In 1834 he settled in Livingston County, and subsequently removed to Eaton
County, where he married Miss Julia Rogers. Here he devoted himself to clearing
up a farm, which he had acquired, and remained there with the exception of a short time spent in Mason, until coming to Lansing in 1866. Mrs. Garlick was born March 26,
1852, on the old farm in Eaton County, Mich.
After coming here Mr. Cornell soon began to engage in the real-estate business, and continued to be thus employed until his death, which occurred in 1888, at the age of sixty-six years. His widow still survives and lives in this city with our subject and her daughter. The gentleman of whom we write with all the members of his family worship at the Methodist Episcopal Church. They are enthusiastic workers in everything that pertains, to the spread of Gospel teaching, and give liberally of their substance as well is their
time. Mr. Garlick is a man who is highly spoken of by friends and business associates. Politically
he is a Prohibitionist.
Some men can pursue only one line of business successfully while others can successively take up trade, agriculture and manufacturing and can conduct all with equal success and satisfaction. Such a
man must of course have a considerable degree of adaptability as well as more than a modicum of enterprise, and the one of whom we write
may justly (415)
have traits ascribed to him. He is now a prominent farmer and stock-raiser, owning one hundred and twenty acres of choice land
on sections 15 and 16, of Brighton Township, Livingston County, and he is a native of Detroit, born February 19, 1842.
John Humphrey, Sr., the father of our subject, was a native of England who came to America
early in life and became one of the early settlers of Detroit. During his pioneer
days in Michigan he followed lumbering but subsequently became a drover and was one of the best known men in
Michigan, as he traveled over nearly all of the Southern Peninsula, buying stock and driving it to the
market at Detroit. He was one of the first men in Michigan to take up this line of work and
he followed it until about the time of the Civil War, when he retired from business.
He had then acquired a well-rounded fortune, although he had come to this country with limited means.
He died in Detroit in 1884, having filled out eighty-seven years of worthy and industrious life.
Rosanna Blake, a native of England, became the wife of John Humphrey, Sr., and the mother of our subject. She had only two
children and the other son is now living in San Francisco. It is many
years now since she passed from earth. He of whom we write was reared to manhood in the beautiful City of the Straits and there
received his education. At the age of eighteen he became an express messenger for several companies, and when the war broke out
he entered the employ of the Government, his duty being in the line of collecting and shipping horses and other stock and accompanying his shipments to the front or wherever they were ordered.
He often spent days at a time upon these excursions and many times suffered from exposures and privations, and continued in this work through most of the
years of the war.
When the "piping times of peace" came round
again the young man resumed business as an express messenger for about two years, after which
he became a member of the firm of Chope & Fale, painters, and decorators, of Pontiac. He subsequently removed to Detroit where
he became a member of the firm of Godfrey & Co. After an extended tour throughout the West visiting a
number of the large cities, returned to Detroit and for two years carried
on a wholesale business in fruit, but in 1885 he purchased his present property and removed to Brighton
In 1875 he was married to Miss Lavina Blackmar,
who was born in Plymouth, Mich., and this union has been blessed with five children, namely: John
B., Zachariah C., Jennie, Myra and Mildred. Mr. Humphrey is a man unusually well informed in regard to matters of public interest, and
he is a thorough Republican in his political views. For many years he has been connected with the Masonic
order and takes a great interest in its progress. He values his farm and the stock upon it and delights
in raising the best grades of animals of all kinds.