HILL, one of the prominent citizens of Lansing, and a practical and intelligent machinist, is engaged in the plumbing, steam and gas fitting business. He was born in
Edinburg, Scotland, or rather in Kirkcaldy, a suburb of that city, his natal day being March 27, 1843. His father, Peter Hill, who was born in
Edinburg, was also a machinist and in 1845 removed to Ghent, Belgium, where
he was engaged to put up some flax-mill machinery. He was in that line of work for three years and then was employed three years longer by the same company in building locomotives.
Image of Thomas Hill
In 1852 Peter Hill came to America and located for one year in Milwaukee, but finding business
dull there he went to Detroit, where he was employed in Kellogg's machine shop, building marine
engines. He was afterward in the employ of the Michigan Central Railroad, and eleven years later
put up a machine shop of his own. He and his estimable wife still reside in Detroit. He is a Unitarian in his religious belief, and a Republican in politics. His wife bore the maiden name of Mary Goodall and was a native of Scotland, being the daughter of. Capt.
Goodall, who followed the whaling business through life, and after his death his son, stepped into his place. Mr. and Mrs. Peter Hill have eight children, four sons and four daughters.
From the age of two until he was eight years old Thomas Hill lived in Belgium and studied in
the Belgian schools. He then sailed from Antwerp with his parents and after being seven weeks on
the ocean landed in New York city, whence the family went, as we have seen, first to Milwaukee
and afterward to Detroit. He attended school in that city and when fourteen years of age was apprenticed to a plumber, serving with Dudley &
Holmes of Detroit for three years and six months, after which he worked for them six months longer
and then left the business to engage with the Michigan Central Railroad as fireman, but after a few
months he went into the shops of that railroad corporation. After an apprenticeship of three
years in the machinery business under S. A. Sweet, the master mechanic
he worked at the trade in different shops and then went as engineer on the
lakes for five seasons, during which time no accidents befell his boat.
In October, 1871, our subject went into the City
Hall of Detroit as engineer, and was the first one appointed in the new City Hall in which he served
for three years and four months. Next he went to Jackson and entered the machine shops
of the Michigan Central Railroad and after two years was appointed by the board of State Auditors as
engineer of the State Capitol. This board consisted of D. C. Holden of Grand Rapids, Secretary of State, Col. McCreary of Flint, and Gen. Partridge of
Bay City. Receiving this appointment in 1879, he came here at once and took charge of his post
and received the appointment with every successive term until the Democratic party came into
power. In 1883 Mr. Hill was made engineer and Superintendent of the Capitol and grounds and
had under his care the whole building with the superintendency of some thirty men. He held this
position until February 1,1891. He made improvements in the machinery from time to time, and while
he endeavored to manage the entire business on economic principles he succeeded in giving entire satisfaction to every one.
He had more than ordinary system in his work, and every man under his superintendency understood what duties were expected of him and that
he was relied on to see that it was done. No time could be wasted and no work neglected but everything went as it were by clockwork, although the mainspring was in the character, mind and determination of Mr.
A few weeks after leaving the employ of the State Mr. Hill opened the business which
he is now carrying on. He has a pleasant home at the corner of Capitol Avenue and Lenawee Street, over which his wife, who was Miss Louisa W. Sullivan
of Detroit, presides with grace and dignity. This lady was reared and educated in her native city and is a daughter of Lawrence Sullivan, who before his death was a real-estate dealer in Detroit. The marriage of Mr. and Mrs. Hill took place in Detroit October 19, 1864, and they have six interesting children, namely: Maud E., Louise, Stewart
Goodall, Pearl, Eva and Harry Connant. Mr. Hill is identified with Zion Lodge, No. 1, F. & A. M. of Detroit an d the Royal Arch Masons of Lansing,
being also a charter member of the Knights of the Maccabees in this place. He is a strong Republican in his convictions and is frequently made a delegate
to county and State conventions. He is a man of more than ordinary breadth of view and his intelligence and affability make him a most agreeable companion.
A lithographic portrait of Mr. Hill is presented in connection with this biographical sketch.
GEORGE W. COLEMAN,
D. D. S.
For the last twenty years the gentleman whose name is at the head of this sketch has been in possession of the largest practice, as a dentist, in Lansing,
Ingham County. He here opened his office September 10, 1872, and during that time has alleviated much suffering,
and extracted many a wicked molar, that by its excruciating surges of pain rouses one's whole nervous organization into a state of revolt and rebellion. Perhaps the day will come when we will learn to take such good care of our teeth that dentists will have no occasion for the practice of their profession, but they will always be remembered kindly even in such a blessed state, for the good they have done.
Dr. Coleman was born in Battle Creek Michigan, February 3, 1848.
He is a son of William H. and Lucretia (Merritt) Coleman, and received his
education in his native place, after which he entered the office of Dr. George
H. Holmes having bound himself to the doctor for a period of three years in order to learn the profession of dentistry.
He moreover paid $100 for the privilege of studying under the doctor for the first year. At the
second year he received small renumeration for the services that he was able to give, but at the end of that time he was released by Dr. Holmes
from his bond. He then entered the Cincinnati College of Dentistry and graduated in the Class of
'71. Thus prepared for the practice of his profession, he located at Olivet,
Michigan, where he set up his first operating chair. This was a common rocker, a bona fide operating chair being
an extravagance that he could not at that time afford. However, he began with the determination of working his way
up, and indeed, he was very successful, remaining in Olivet until
August, 1872, after which he came to Lansing and located in the block where
he now is. He has, by his attention to business, and his skill in his profession, built himself up a practice that pays handsomely and has also gained a prominent place among his professional brethren.
Dr. Coleman has practiced continuously since coming to the city, with the
exception of two and a half years, when he was in the Lansing National
Bank, the latter part of which time he held the position of Receiving Teller, but resumed his profession without a break in his large practice.
Our subject is a member of the State Dental Association and keeps well abreast of the times in all things pertaining to his profession.
During this (599)
month (August, 1891) he is attendance on the Association which meets this year at Sault Ste. Marie.
The original of our sketch took upon himself the responsibilities of married life March 27, 1872, at which time
he was united to Miss Emily McDonald, a. daughter of W. A. and R. McDonald. residents of Battle Creek. Mrs. Coleman is a lady of exceptional attainments, being talented and accomplished, besides having a striking personal attractiveness. At the time of their marriage, she held a position as teacher in the Battle Creek High School. Our subject, with his wife, is a member of the
Congregational Church, and he is therein an usher, also holding the office of Secretary of the Sunday-school. They have a daughter, Gertrude Louise,
who is an attractive miss, gifted with a bright mind and pretty, gracious manners. Dr. Coleman is a man of high reputation and one who is liked by all.
MASTIC. The gentleman whose name is at the head of this sketch is the
proprietor of a farm of eighty acres located on section 26, Handy Township, Livingston County. He came here when twelve years of age, in 1844, his parents having emigrated westward at that time. He was born in Essex County, N.Y. in 1833 and is a
son of Asa and Sophia (Ray) Mastic, natives of Vermont and married in the same State. The father was by trade a blacksmith
and followed his calling in the East.
He only lived two months after coming to Michigan, his decease taking place when he was forty-four years of age. His wife survived him by many years, her death occurring in September, 1885, and her interment taking place in Handy Township. One of a family of eight children, our subject is the second in order of birth. They are Charles, who resides in Lansing; William whose home is in Vermont;
Jane, who became Mrs. Steward; Deliah, who became Mrs. Hall; and Mary, who is Mrs. Hoyt.
Our subject was educated in the district schools
of Handy Township and on becoming twelve years of age was thrown upon his own resources and dependent upon himself for both food and clothing. He first began to work out for farmers and later in life came to this place, in 1861 purchasing forty acres. He later added forty acres more, only five acres of the last-named tract having been cleared at the time of his purchase. On making his first investment in real-estate here a cool review of his position showed him to be possessed of only $50 outside of the bare land. He had no team and no farming implements, but had a strong constitution, a keen-edged ax and a young wife who was in herself an inspiration. Together they set to work and besides rearing a family made of their place a beautiful home. Our subject is now considered one of the successful farmers of this township,
He of whom we write has been doing a good-Samaritan kind of work, aside from what he has
accomplished that has been above mentioned. He has reared two families besides his
own--that is seventeen people in all that he has clothed and supported. In 1860 our subject was united in
marriage to Caroline Hoyt. She died in 1880 leaving a family of seven children. They are Julia, Frank, Charles, Bert, Lydia, Carrie and May.
Julia is now Mrs. C. Barry and is the mother of two children--Avery and Fred-and a resident of
Handy Township. Frank married Alice Coleman and has one son--Leaon; they reside not a great
distance from the home place. Charles married Lucy Barber; they are the parents of one daughter--Maude, and reside in Fowlerville. Bert, Lydia
and May are now deceased.
Mr. Mastic was a second time married, Mrs. Melinda Mann becoming his wife. By her previous marriage she was the mother of three
children--Frank, Minnie and Fred. The eldest son married Tinnie Barry; they have one child, a daughter whose name is Belle. Minnie is the wife of Thomas Fellows. By the present marriage our subject is the father of two
children--John R. and Gracie. The confidence and esteem in which our subject is held in the community is shown by the fact that he has been elected to the most honorable offices and which are the pride of American districts--those of the school and educational
He has been an incumbent of these positions for the past eighteen years and has been Pathmaster for twenty years.
In 1877 Mr. Mastic erected upon his place one of the best houses in the township. It is
commodious and comfortable and provided with all the conveniences that are so necessary to rob farm
life of its drudgery. He has good barns and outbuildings and his land is in a high state of cultivation. A fine orchard set out years ago is now a source of both pleasure and profit. Here the original of our sketch is engaged in breeding horses of pure blood and raising cattle, sheep and hogs.
The gentleman of whom we write is in his political following a Democrat and an ardent believer
in free, trade. He is public spirited to a degree and many of the improvements of the township
have been greatly forwarded by his enterprise, having helped to build roads, school-houses and
churches. On moving into his first residence, which is the log cabin above
mentioned, he lived at a distance of half a mile from the nearest neighbor, the country between them being a thickly
wooded tract. Personally Mr. Mastic is a genial, whole-souled man who is popular with his acquaintances and associates. He is five feet, six inches in
height and weighs about two hundred pounds, and is a man of great strength and endurance as can be
conjectured from the amount of work which he has accomplished.
JEROME W. HAND. The life sketch which
we now lay before our readers, is that of a man who has made his influence felt, not
only during the quiet days of peace, but when the dark clouds of war
hung over our land. At that time he joined hand in hand with his neighbors, and upon the battle-field, stood shoulder to shoulder with his comrades in defense of the old
flag, and he now feels that the country for which he fought is dearer to him than if
he had remained at home in her hour of distress.
This gentleman lives upon a beautiful and well-cultivated farm of fifty acres situated upon section 19, Howell Township, Livingston County. Upon it may be seen substantial farm buildings and here is raised a fine grade of stock, among which we may name full-blooded Holstein cattle and graded Short-horns as well as Hambletonian
and other thoroughbred horses.
The nativity of Mr. Hand was in Livingston County, N.Y., April
30, 1836, and his parents, were Eben and Lusina (Fuller) Hand. The father was a contractor and builder who came to Michigan in 1833, and having settled in the village of Brighton was active there in his work being
the principal builder in Brighton for many years. His death occurred in 1845. Four of his nine children now survive, namely Lurinda (Mrs. Ogden),
Rhoda, Josephine (Mrs. Pryor) and our subject.
The village of Brighton was the scene of the boyhood and early education of Jerome Hand and he resided under the parental roof until after his father's death.
He then worked out for neighboring farmers until his enlistment in Company
I, Twenty-second Michigan Infantry in 1865.
He was in service until the close of the war and took part in the battles of
Mission Ridge, Lookout Mountain and Chickamauga, and received his honorable discharge at Louisville, Ky., July
After his return from the seat of war Mr. Hand purchased forty acres of land in the township of Handy, Livingston County, and after living upon it two years disposed of the same and purchased the property where he now lives and which
he has highly improved since it came into his hands. His neighbors have raised him at different times to the offices of Road Commissioner and Drainage Commissioner and in both positions
he has done excellent service for the township.
The marriage ceremony for Jerome W. Hand and Miss Elma Coonradt was performed
at the home of the bride in 1857. This lady is a daughter of Adam and Elizabeth
(Cogsdell) Coonradt, both of whom were born in New Brunswick, N.Y. Mr. Coonradt was a farmer who came West in 1836 after his marriage, and settled in the township of Milford, Oakland County and engaged in farming.
He came into this township in 1867 and settled upon section 19, where he purchased eighty acres
and lived until his death which took place in 1875. His widow survived him for three years and left nine children, seven of whom are now living, namely: Mary
(Mrs. Hunt), Catherine (Mrs. Lockwood), Elizabeth (Mrs. Seaver), Malinda (Mrs. Hayes), Lousia (Mrs.
Leonard), Elma (Mrs. Hand), and Hannah (Mrs. Bush). Mrs. Seaver is deceased.
To the home of Mr. and
Mrs. Hand two children have come and they bear the names of Selicia D. and Calvin L.
The principles of the Democratic party are those which in the judgment of Mr. Hand are best adapted to secure the well-being of the citizens of our country and to insure the prosperity of the nation.
He is in ardent and efficient member of the Grand Army of the Republic and delights in its reunion.
He has a pleasant house and lot in the village of Howell but prefers to reside upon his farm which he
is actively carrying on.
has abandoned active business life while yet at an age that he can enjoy the
pleasures that his large resources can give, and in this he shows a wisdom greater than that displayed by the majority of men.
He was born in Montgomery County, N.Y., September 19, 1831. He is a son of James and Mary (McCall) McIntyre, both natives of the Empire State. Our subject's father was there
an extensive farmer, but foreseeing great opportunities in the new State of Michigan,
he came West and settled in Unadilla Township, Livingston County first taking up a quarter section of Government land of the class that is known as oak
opening. On his newly acquired tract he erected a log house which he made his residence until death overtook him, January 26. 1872. His wife survived him until June 1, 1883.
Our subject's paternal grandsire was Donald
McIntyre, whose natal day was July 16, 1709. His wife was Ann McIntyre and they were both
natives of Scotland, where the former was engaged as a shepherd, but after coming to America
he became a farmer. They were the parents of eleven children, one of whom,
John McIntyre, was a soldier in the Revolutionary War. He of whom we write is one of a
family of eleven children, only nine, however, now living. They are Donald, Jane, Peter, Ann,
Hugh, Flora, Mary, James and Janet. The two who are deceased are Eliza and Ruth.
The religious training in the homestead was that of the Presbyterian denomination both parents being members of that body. The
father of the family was a Whig, but in later years became a Republican.
He was honored by several positions within the gift of the township and was greatly respected as a man of integrity and good financial standing. Our subject was raised on the home farm and remained at home until
he was twenty-six years of age. He received a liberal education, attending select schools in Ann Arbor. After finishing his course of study
he was engaged in teaching in Ingham County, this State, being thus employed both before and after marriage.
Mr. McIntyre made his first purchase of land in White Oak Township, Ingham
County, in 1858. It comprised eighty acres of land and he built thereon a fine hewed log house.
He later added other land and improved this so that it became regarded
as one of the best farms in the district. He raised fine cattle and sheep upon the place. On the breaking out of the war our subject enlisted in Company A, of the First Michigan Engineers and Mechanics Regiment, being mustered in to service in December 1863. After a varied and interesting service
he was honorably discharged and returned home October 1, 1865. He was with Sherman on his memorable march from Atlanta to the sea.
After returning from the war he sold his place and moved to the city where
he purchased property in the eastern part of the town and upon which he now lives.
He was united in marriage in 1858 to Miss Olive M. Herrick of Waterloo,
Jackson County, this State. She is a daughter of Samuel M. and Sarah E. (Newman) Herrick, natives of New York where the former was a boot
and shoe maker. He came to Michigan in 1845 and settled in Waterloo, engaging soon after in farming. Of eight children which were born to this couple only four
are now living, Isaac N., William S., Sarah E. and Olive M. The parents died in Jackson County, after a long association with the members of the Presbyterian religious body, The father was originally a Whig but later became a Republican.
The original of our sketch has a family of five children. They are George H., Anna M., Ella, Flora B. and
Donald. The eldest son married Mary Smith; they are the parents of four children Glenn, Ethel, Benjamin
H. and Josephine. This son is a farmer by calling and also a politician;
he is now Supervisor of the township. Anna M. is Mrs. J. H. Smith; she is the mother of three children--Grover, Letha and McIntyre; her husband is also engaged in farming. Ella is now Mrs.
I. J. King and is the mother of two children--Lee and Erma. Mr. McIntyre is an uncompromising Republican.
He is a member of the Union Veteran Union. He and his wife are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church. Our subject has been the architect of his own fortunes, having had nothing to begin with but what he made by his own efforts.
MRS. HELEN L. M.
One of the most potent factors in the civilization of any section of our country is to be found in the character and
influence of its women of education and refinement. Not only all who come in contact with them, but all who live in their vicinity, are insensibly elevated and refined by knowing that such women are in their midst. This is trebly true when such characters add to their influence the power of a gentle and amiable disposition, which is effective by its very apparent lack of aggressiveness, for it arouses no opposition and leads the way to higher things.
Such a character do we find in the widow of George B. Lake, whose loss
was deeply felt by all who knew him when he passed from earth in 1884. This gentleman was born in Howell Township, Livingston County, in 1845, and was the son of Rial and Mary F. (Burt) Lake. His father was an
educator, being at one time a professor in a school of high standing in
Philadelphia. Vermont was his native State and he came to Michigan in 1838, settling in Howell Township, where he engaged in farming through all his later years.
The education of George B. Lake was carried on in the schools of Howell and was supplemented by home instruction, which fitted him admirably for his matriculation at the Michigan University at Ann Arbor. He took there a course as Civil Engineer and received his diploma in 1869. Subsequent to his graduation, Mr. A. A. Robinson, who was a classmate of his at the university, wrote him, begging that
he would come to Kansas, where he (Mr. Robinson) had secured a position on the Atchison, Topeka
& Santa Fe Railroad. Mr. Lake joined his friend and became Assistant Engineer in 1869. In 1871 the young man had advanced to the position of Division Superintendent of the Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe Railroad, and five years later he became Superintendent of Track and Bridges. In 1878
he took the position of principal Assistant and Consulting Engineer, and in 1884
he became Chief Engineer of the same road. During the same year he was taken sick at his home in Topeka, Kan., and died of pneumonia.
The marriage of Mr. and Mrs. Lake had taken place on Christmas Day, 1878, and at the time of
his death they had two beautiful children, George B., Jr., and Helen. After her husband's death Mrs.
Lake returned to her home in Howell. She was a daughter of Dr. Z. H. and Lutheria (Johnson)
Marsh, both of whom were natives of the old Bay State. Dr. Marsh received his medical education
at Jefferson College, Philadelphia, from which he took his diploma and practiced his profession for a
short time in a small town called Ware Village, in Massachusetts, before removing to New York City, where he remained in the active practice of his
profession until he came to Michigan and settled in Howell. Besides carrying on his profession here
he established the first regular drug store in Howell, which be managed for twenty years, after which
(603) time his health failed and he retired from active life. He has now reached the venerable age of eighty years and was bereaved of his beloved and faithful wife in 1887. Of their three children but two are living, Mrs. Lake
and her brother Edwin Marsh who is a lawyer at Grand Rapids.
Since Mrs. Lake's return to Howell she has built a fine greenhouse, the only one in
the county, and has established a flourishing business in cut flowers and potted
plants. She also looks after her farm in the township and has proven herself a thorough and systematic
business woman. The home in which she and her children reside on Hubble Street is the scene of a harmonious household and a hospitable abode.
She is a lady whose education, both literary and musical, made her a true helpmate and a fitting companion to the talented and highly educated gentleman, with whom
she had the happiness to spend the brief years of their married life. She has taught in the public schools of Lansing and also taught music
in Big Rapids, Mich., and wherever she has lived and in whatever circle she has moved she has been alike beloved and prized.
EDWARD C. CHAPIN, one of
the prominent attorneys of the city of Lansing, Ingham County, has his office at No. 108 Michigan
Avenue West, and has been engaged in the practice of his profession since 1873.
He is a native of Connecticut, and was born in the city of New Haven,
June 3, 1844. His father, Rev. S. S. Chapin, is a clergyman of the Episcopal Church. and his
mother, who died in 1876, was Julia (Coan) Chapin. Until fifteen years of age Mr. Chapin lived
five years in New Haven, two in New York City and eight near Norwich, Conn., and then came
West with his parents and located in the city of Marshall, Mich., where his father had been called
to the rectorship of the Episcopal Church of that city. Mr. Chapin, as a boy attended school in Connecticut and in the city of Marshall, and graduated
at Racine College, Racine, Wis., receiving the degree of Bachelor of
Arts in the class of 1867. After finishing his college life he was connected
with the State Department of the State of Michigan until 1871. He then entered
the law office of Messrs. Dart & Wiley in Lansing, and was admitted to practice in 1873 when
he opened an office and has continued in practice to the present time. Mr.
Chapin held the office of Circuit Court Commissioner for four years and was also City
Attorney for the city of Lansing for alike number of years. In politics he has always been a Republican, and is a member of the Masonic order;
he is a member of the Episcopal Church, and for many years has been one of
the Wardens of St. Paul's Church, of Lansing. Mr. Chapin was married on April 22, 1874, to Ella R. King, of New York City.
They have three children: Cornelius King, Roy Dikeman and Mabelle Rose. Mrs.
Chapin's father, Mr. James W. King made his home in Lansing from 1871 until
his decease in 1884. His wife, Mrs. Hannah S. King, is still living, and resides with Mr. Chapin
and his wife. The Chapin family and the Coan family were all of New England stock, as were
also the families of Mr. and King. For the last four years Mr. Chapin has been connected with the legal department of the
Minneapolis, St. Paul & Sault St. Marie Railway company, and for the last two years has been one of
the directors of the People's Saving Bank of West Bay City. In addition to his business in connection with the railroad,
he has given his attention to general law practice.
GEORGE W. FREEMAN. The manufacturing interests of Lansing form a very considerable factor in the development of the
resources of this city and section of this State. The wealth of
Michigan's mines and forests could never have been transmuted into gold had it not been for the touch of the philosopher's stone. which in this instance consisted of tile inventive genius and enterprising Spirit of the men of the State.
Our subject, who is the Secretary and manager of the Anderson Road Cart Company, is one of
(604) these men, bright, shrewd, enterprising and intelligent, who have helped to change our State from
a wilderness to a populous center. He organized the company in which he is interested and is a thorough and practical manufacturer.
He was born in Lockport, N.Y., March 12, 1844, his father, Robert Freeman, being a native of New Jersey, and later becoming a farmer in New York.
Robert Freeman emigrated from the East to Farmington, Oakland County, Mich., and there located upon a farm until 1855, when
he removed to Prairieville, Barry County, and made that his final home, as he passed away before the breaking out of the Civil War. He was a man who was deeply interested in public matters although he did not take an active part in them, but voted the Democratic ticket, and was an earnest and devoted member of the Methodist Episcopal Church. His wife, who was of Welsh descent, bore the maiden name of Mary A. Chapman. Her father died in New York and she lived until 1885, when she passed away in Michigan. Eleven children have called her mother and six of these are now living, two sons having lost their lives in the Civil War.
He of whom we write was a little follow of some three years of age when he came to Michigan, and made his home with his parents about eighteen miles from Detroit, and he was eleven years old when he went to Barry County, where
he studied in the district schools and early went to work upon the farm. After his father's death
he undertook the management of the old farm, which consisted of eighty-five acres, a tract of land which he still owns and which is in a fine state of cultivation. In 1863
he became clerk in the office of the Registrar of Deeds, being in the department which had
charge of the Abstract of Titles. Here he remained for one year only, as his patriotic impulses led him to give up his office and enlist in the service of his country.
The young soldier became a member of Company E, Fifty-first Wisconsin Infantry, being mustered in at Madison, Wis., and serving until the close of the war in the Army of the Potomac. His regiment was engaged in skirmishing and raiding and took part in Price's raid. Mr. Freeman
was detailed as clerk in the Adjutant's Department and
served there for some time. In the spring of 1865 he was ordered to Leavenworth, Kan., where he was mustered out and discharged under the special order in July, 1865. The regiment was returned to Madison, from which point they dispersed in August.
The oil fever was now at its height and the young soldier went to Pennsylvania and speculated for awhile, but as he did not make a fortune he soon returned to Barry and again entered the office of the Registrar of Deeds. Here he continued for five years and in January, 1871, he was appointed Clerk in the State Department under Mr. Stryker, in 1872, and finally became chief clerk in his office.
He served for four terms under Messrs. Stryker, Holden, Jenniso, and Covant, making sixteen years of faithful service in this office. In January, 1887, Mr. Freeman received the appointment to the office of Executive Clerk under Gov. Luce and by virtue of his appointment he was also Secretary of the Board of Pardons. This position he filled until October, 1887, when he resigned his office to enter business.
Mr. Freeman became an incorporator of the Anderson Road Cart Company, October 18, 1887, and was at once elected its Manager and Secretary being a large stockholder and one of the Directors. The business has been greatly enlarged and they now manufacture a full line of the carts, making a specialty of road, track and speeding carts, and turning out from forty to fifty vehicles a day. It is a thorough manufacturing institution and makes every part of every vehicle in its output.
The happy home of our subject is at the corner of Ottawa and Claypole Streets and the lady
who is the presiding genius became Mrs. Freeman in Grand Rapids in 1867, her maiden name was Carrie A.
Mead, and she was born in Fishkill, N.Y., and is a daughter of Finch Mead, who became an early settler of Michigan, where he still carries on a fine farm. Three children have crowned this union; the eldest George L., is already a young business man and is in the employ of the Road Cart Company, while Edith E. and Joe B. are at home with their parents. Mr. Freeman belongs to the Independent Order
of Odd Fellows, to the Royal Arcanum and to the Foresters. His wife is an earnest
(607) and devoted member of the Congregational Church in which she occupies a position of usefulness and influence. The
declarations of the Republican party embody the political views of Mr. Freeman and he is most earnestly and devotedly attached to
his party. He is Chairman not only of the Ward Committee, but also of the City and County Committee and has frequently been
a delegate to county and State conventions.