HON. FRANK M. FOGG. A broad experience embracing life upon two continents, has been granted to the gentleman of whom we now write, and with this experience
he has gained breadth of view and soundness of judgment which added to his naturally keen abilities and thorough course of study, have made him a man among men, worthy of the respect and admiration of the people
among whom he lives. Our subject was born in the year 1854 in Deerfield, N. H., and at an early age he learned the practical experiences of a farmer's boy. He came of good Scotch-Irish stock, which settled in New Hampshire in the early days, his father being Nathan Fogg and his grandfather Orrin, both natives of Now Hampshire. His grandfather took part in the War of 1812, and his father, who now resides in New
York City, was a farmer in Deerfield, N. H., and Lewiston, Me. His mother is of old English stock and bore the maiden name of Isabel Morrill. She was born in Stansted, Quebec, and is a daughter of F. C. Morrill, a farmer, who was in the Canadian Army during the War of 1812, and died in that country.
Hon. Frank M. Fogg
From earliest childhood young Fogg showed signs of talent, beginning school at the age of three years and making such rapid progress as to have conquered
Greenleaf's Arithmetic at the age of twelve years. When
he was only eight years old the Civil War broke out and great political excitement prevailed. Even the young held debating societies, and this child took part upon every such occasion, speaking or declaiming. At the age of thirteen he was sent from home to attend school at Hampton Falls, N. H., where he worked for his board and also attended school at Dearborn Academy, at Seabrook, N. H. Here he walked two miles each way in going to and from school, milked eleven cows night and morning and acted as general chore boy. The following years he alternated school work with work at the shoe bench and in the bay field, attending successively the Putnam Free School and the New Hampton Institute. At this latter place he showed so clearly his abilities as a logical debator and a student of history that
he was nicknamed the Young Napoleon, and the following winter through the advice of the Hon. J. D. Philbrick of Boston, he entered the Nichols Latin School and continued his preparation for college.
The difficulties connected with teaching boys of his own age in the "Hard Scrabble" district at Poland were brightened by the fact that here the young man met Miss Julia Additon, who, in 1875, became his wife. After completing the ten weeks of this term of school he entered Phillips Academy at Exeter, N. H., and completed his preparation for college. He now changed his method of self-support by serving as a table waiter at the summer resorts in the White Mountains, and as it was then
customary for students to take this work, he found congenial companionship among his fellow workers and appreciative and wealthy friends among the guests whom
he served. At various times he (718)
received help from the renowned Dr. Schenk and the millionaire Rockefeller, who continued his liberal help until
he saw the young man through college.
After completing his course at Bates College he
began the study of law with the Hon. M. T. Ludden of Lewiston and in fourteen months was admitted to the Androscoggin bar, passing as some of the
committee said, the best law examination of any young man ever admitted to that
bar. He practiced, however, but a short time, as the Presidential campaign of 1876 awakened his interest in political questions and
he became an earnest worker in the ranks of the Greenbackers and was soon advanced to a position of leadership. This led him into connection with the
Hon. Solon Chase in the publication of the "Chronicle" at Auburn, Me. In January, 1879,
he was elected by the Legislature to a seat in the Executive Council and as a member of that body
he was instrumental in exposing various corrupt schemes. He believes in the strict construction of the constitution and laws and their rigid enforcement, and he is a true representative of the labor element, He has addressed thousands of people in the finest halls and opera houses in the country and has won a reputation as a public speaker. He was nominated for Congress in 1880, and made a magnificent run for that office, but was defeated.
Selling the "Chronicle", Mr. Fogg purchased a farm, near Lewiston, his father going security in the purchase. Upon this land was a
fine timbered tract of beech and maple and he went into the woods with five men and chopped cord wood all winter, thus being able to pay for his land in the spring. A year later
he sold this property and coming to Michigan in the fall of 1882, located in Lansing, and purchased a half interest in the Lansing "Sentinel" and in company with J. M. Potter managed that paper until the campaign of 1886.
A New York mining company now secured the services of Mr. Fogg, to take charge of a mining estate in Africa, and in November, 1886,
he left New York on the steamship "Ethiopia" for Glasgow, Scotland, and in London secured from the Government a letter of introduction to the Governor of the Gold Coast in Africa, and an order demanding that
he should have all the protection the English Government could give him, which order was thoroughly complied with.
He sailed from Liverpool on the steamer "Opobo", Capt. Norman. It was a trading vessel and as it stopped at all the principal ports on the west coasts of Africa,
he had an opportunity of visiting them.
Reaching the Gulf of Guinea our subject journeyed inland to the gold mines which were situated on a branch of
the Niger River. It was a
hazardous undertaking, as every white man who had previously visited the mines had died. This
estate was three hundred miles from the coast and was worked by taking off first eight feet of soil,
then a layer of plumbago, and then the miners came to from eight to fourteen inches of
gold-paying-dirt. In the vicinity of the mines they found plenty of ebony, mahogany and the rubber trees.
Mr. Fogg remained there about a year and had numerous adventures with the natives, who more
than once became mutinous. When Mr. Fogg returned to England he brought back with him
$25,000 worth of gold dust, half of which was his share of the profits, and
he also brought back, by the orders of the company, the bones of the two
superintendents who had preceded him. His constitution was terribly racked by the climatic fever
which had gradually taken hold of him, and he was reduced to almost a skeleton. After reaching
Liverpool it was several weeks before he could travel and he then spent some four months
in trips through Europe and Great Britain and returned to New York in July, reaching Lansing in August,
1888. He intends some day to form a stock company and return to the gold coasts, build a
railroad and develop the mines, and says there is a fortune in it for all concerned.
Since his return to Lansing, our subject has engaged in his practice as
an attorney, although he devotes a large share of his time to dealings in real estate. He owns one hundred and sixty acres in O'Brian County, lowa, as well as sixteen lots at Martha's Vineyard
and he also oversees his wife's interests, as she has a handsome property of some $20,000. Several fine residences in Lansing are in his possession. Since his return from Africa
he was elected a member of the Consolidated Stock and Petroleum Exchange of New York.
Since his return to America Mr. Fogg has taken quite a part in politics, and was chairman of the Anti-monopolist State Convention in 1884, which nominated Mr. Mills for Governor, and also chairman of the Congressional Convention of this district for the Greenback Labor party, which office
he occupied for three terms. He was also Secretary of the Union Labor State Central Committee for one year. At the Fusion Convention, when the Democrats and Greenbackers joined forces,
he was chairman of the Congressional Committee, and made the nominating speech, putting forward the Hon. John
H. Fedewa of St. Johns for Congress. He is a member of the Free and Accepted Masons, the Knights of Labor and the Patrons of Industry. His five children bear the names of Orrin, Nathan, Frank, James and George.
MRS. CLARISSA (MOON) STERNES. "A perfect woman nobly planned, to warn, to comfort and command." The great poet, Wordsworth, could not have found a worthier illustration of the woman he had in mind at the time of writing his exquisite verses laudatory of the virtues of the gentler sex, than she whose name is at the
head of this sketch; one whose heart is tender and sympathetic, yet whose hand is firm to soothe and to
heal the sick world that leans on her; one who has endured much trouble and sorrow, the heavy hand of affliction having been laid upon her more than once, and yet she has accepted weal or woe with loving trust and resignation.
Mrs. Sternes is the daughter of Thomas and Elizabeth (Gardner) Moon, who were natives of England and Canada, respectively. The former came to this country, first locating in Canada when a young man
and engaged in farming. He soon acquired two hundred and forty acres of land which
he stocked with blooded animals. This place he lived on through life. By his wife, to whom
he was married in Canada he had eight children, four of whom are now living. They are our subject, Catherine, Elizabeth
and William. Catherine is now Mrs. Bell, of Canada; Elizabeth married the Rev. William Cook and lives in Michigan; William
is a farmer in Canada. Our subject's paternal grandsire was Thomas Moon, a native of England, who there lived and died and who accumulated a handsome fortune in the pursuit of his calling, which was that of a farmer. The maternal grandparents were John and Catherine (Shibley) Gardner.
The original of our sketch received the advantages offered in Canada in in educational way. She lived with her parents until her marriage in 1847 to the Rev. Ashford Diamond, who was born in Canada and there also educated.
He was the son of Robert and Sophia (Smith) Diamond, natives of Canada, where they were employed as farmers and were people of good financial standing. They moved to Michigan about 1851 and settled in the county of Tuscola, where they were engaged in farming, until their decease. After the marriage of our subject the young couple lived in Canada for five years where the husband was engaged in farming. In 1851 they came to Michigan and settled in Tuscola County where Mr. Diamond took up eighty acres of land which he farmed for some years. While thus engaged he turned his attention to the ministry and began to prepare
himself for that work, favoring the Protestant Methodist denomination. He completed his course of study and went upon the circuit and continued to be thus occupied until his decease. During his ministerial work
he moved his family to Handy Township and preached his last memorable sermon in the Randall schoolhouse two miles north of Fowlerville, passing away the following night. During the service on that last day
he paused in his discourse and asked if any of the congregation wished to say a word for Jesus. There was no
response, and he continued. "I see, looking over these seats many gray haired men like myself, and we shall soon go to the beyond." Afterward
he said that it seemed to him that his mother's hand rested upon his head while
he was preaching, urging him to press forward, and also that he could see his little children who had gone before, flitting by on angel wings that were tipped with gold and chanting the glad hosannas before the throne. He was
(720) known far and near and the testimony of those who knew and loved him is tender and beautiful
and a tribute that anyone might wish to have. He died in this township in 1855. He left a widow and eight children, four of whom only are now living. They are Thomas, Henry, Emily and
William. Thomas married Mary Harris; they are the parents of one child, William. Henry married Ellen Hayner, and is the father of four
children--Carrie, Ashford, Mary and Eva. Emily is the wife of Payette Grant and has one child, a daughter, whose name is Alta E. William married
Maggie Taylor; he is a physician of great popularity.
The lady of whom we write was married a second time,
her present husband being Allen C. Sternes; they now reside on section 33, Handy Township, where they have a very fine home. Mrs. Sternes is
a member of the Protestant Methodist Church and one of the noble women of the township.
ANDREWS. It is a favorite figure of speech with poets and literary people in general to compare death with
sleep. It is a false comparison, however, for death is not a sleep, but in awakening to a more intense and active
life--one in which the scope for good is greater than in our circumscribed sphere on this terrestrial globe. Our subject passed from earth on January 2, 1882, and his widow, Mrs. Electa P. Andrews, dictates this tribute to the companion who was to her a hero and who by the charm of his presence and beautiful principles of right held her in the inner shrine of his heart.
Mr. Andrews was born in Milford, Mich., February 22, 1838. His parents came to this State at
an early day and the lad was orphaned while a mere babe, his mother being taken away when
he was three months old and his father when three years old. After that
he was sent to New York and was reared by an uncle until twenty years of age. His educational advantages were limited but by careful reading and diligent study
he became well educated, and after fitting himself for the active work of manhood
he returned to the scene of his nativity and settled in Oceola Township, Livingston County. Later
he removed to Corunna Township, Shiawassee County.
Mr. Andrews was united in marriage to Miss Electa P. Wilcox in 1861. She is a daughter of
Alonzo and Sarah (Dean) Wilcox, natives of New York and Vermont respectively. Her father came
to Michigan in an early day and died in Fowlerville, Livingston County. The mother passed
away May 26, 1890. A family of ten children clustered around the heads of the household; their
names are as follows: Lanson, Edwin, Ryland S., Lovina, now Mrs. Whitaker; Electa (Mrs.
Andrews), Julius, Mrs. Julia Seims, Matilda, Mrs. Frank Abbott, Mrs. Josephine Keeckler and George
W. The father was a Democrat and the church associations of the family were with the Methodist
Our subject lived at Corunna two years and thence moved to Iowa where he continued for two years, after which
he returned to Michigan and settled at Deerfield, later moving on section 5, Handy Township, in 1873, purchasing a little less than eighty acres of land, upon which were some few improvements. He
here engaged in general farming and bent his energies to improving his land until overtaken by death in 1882. The home that they have made here is ideal in its rural simplicity and general agricultural neatness and productiveness. In the rear of the house is a large red barn, which is exceptionally fine. There is also an orchard. The work of the farm is now carried by Mrs. Andrews' sons. They devote themselves to general farming.
Mrs. Andrews is a lady of marked personality, having unusual executive ability and a
fine knowledge of business methods. Her husband was always the object of the greatest respect and admiration among his associates in their vicinity. Having learned the surveyor's art,
he was often called upon to survey for roads and in establishing lines for estates. He was one of the most useful and important men in the township. Politically
he was an adherent of the Democratic party. Their family comprised three children.
The eldest son, Thaddeus C., married Miss Ida Grindling, and is now
the proud father of one daughter--Myrtie. The younger children are Benjamin F., and Helen E. They have received a good education and are accomplished
as well as practical young people.
BARNES. The sturdy English ancestry from which
our subject is descended has given him the true Anglo-Saxon traits of temperament and character. These are a heritage which is more potent for the success of any man than thousands of gold and silver. Mr. Barnes was born in Auburn, N.Y., February 22, 1840, his parents being John and Winifred (Barnes) Barnes.
John Barnes, Sr., the grandfather of our subject, was of English birth, where
he belonged to the yeomanry, and also served his country as a soldier and sailor. His wife was Elizabeth Payne, who bore to him four sons, Thomas, Joseph, George and John, and four daughters, Sarah, Mary, Winifred and Ann. The father came to New York when
he was fifty years old and settled in Auburn, and in 1848 came to Tyrone Township, Livingston County, and settled on eighty acres of land on section 15. Here he and his good wife passed away from earth. They were both old-school Baptists in their early years and later were connected with the Methodist Episcopal Church. When
he first came to this country he embraced the doctrines of the Whig party and afterward became a Republican
in sentiment and took a great interest in the prosecution of the war for the maintenance of the Union, and died in 1865. His son John, the father of our subject, was born in England, as was also the young woman who became his wife.
The parents of our subject settled in Auburn, N.Y., after first coming to this country, and later came to Michigan. The best opportunities to be gained in the district schools were eagerly embraced by our subject and
he remained in the East till he reached his majority, when he came to Michigan
with his grandparents and began independent farming operations. In September, 1861, George Barnes
enlisted in Company I, Third Michigan Cavalry, and participated in the battle of New
Madrid, the siege of Corinth and the battles of Iuka, Jackson, Coldwater and
Hatchie, and in all some fifteen battles and skirmishes.
He was promoted to the rank of Sergeant in July, 1862, and at the end of three years received his honorable discharge. He immediately re-enlisted in the Fifty-first Missouri Infantry as a private and was made recruiting officer.
He became Sergeant-Major and was long on guard duty. In August, 1865 he received his final discharge at St. Louis.
Upon his return to Michigan the young soldier devoted himself to farming for two years and then removed to Nebraska, but two years later returned to this State and has spent his time since that in Tyrone and Brighton Townships. While in Nebraska he took up the trade of a carpenter, but for the past twelve years he has devoted himself to farming. His beautiful farmhouse stands upon an estate of fifty acres, on section 27, and everything about the farm reflects credit upon the man who is carrying it on. In his official capacity he has
served the township as Clerk for five years and is on his fifth term as Supervisor.
He is active in his devotion to the Democratic party and has great faith in its ultimate success.
It is a pleasant task to record the marital union of two whole-souled and true-hearted people such as our subject and Laura C. Slayton, whose wedding day was October 6, 1867. This lady is a daughter of Alonzo and Melinda (Hamilton) Stayton, who were born in Whitestown, Oneida County, N.Y., and Chemung
County, N.Y., respectively. Their daughter had her birth in Tyrone Township April 25, 1847. The
father of Alonzo Slayton was Daniel Slayton, of Oneida County, N.Y. who married Lucy Roberts and at his death left a widow, two daughters and three sons. His widow subsequently married a Mr. Porter, by whom she had one
daughter, and she finally passed her last days in Macomb County, Mich.
The life story of Alonzo Slayton is one of interest.
He was born December 20, 1304, and entered the regular army, where he reached the rank of a
(722) Sergeant and took part in the conflicts during the the Black Hawk War. In
1835 he came to Macomb County, this State, where his mother was living,
and afterward settled upon a fine farm of two hundred and forty acres in Tyrone Township, this
county. This he cleared and placed under good cultivation, and had obtained from it splendid
crops, when he died, May 22,1861. He had served his township as both Supervisor and Justice of the Peace, and in 1844 his superior abilities and
excellent judgment had raised him to the office of Associate Judge of Livingston County. Besides his
training as a farmer he had the trade of a carpenter and was occasionally called upon to practice it.
At the time of his death he owned three hundred and twenty acres of highly cultivated and arable
land. He was twice married; his first wife being Eliza Covil, and his second wife being Melinda
Hamilton, the mother of Mrs. Barnes and daughter of Hugh and Elsie (Shipman) Hamilton. Mr. and
Mrs. Barnes have been blessed by the birth of one child, Pearl M., and in their home are to be found not only the comforts of this life, but true harmony and happiness.
MRS. ELIZA M. CLARK. The owner of the
model little farm of eighty acres located on section 3, Hartland Township,
Livingston County, is a lady whose name is at the head of this sketch. She is a native of this
State, having been born in Tyrone Township, this county, January 18, 1847. Her father was Amos Dexter, a native of New York, where
he was reared until he came to Michigan in 1838. He located at once in Tyrone Township, this county, there being
but few improvements on the place which he purchased. He was a blacksmith by trade, and followed his calling even after
he had located here, setting up his forge upon his farm. He died on the 26th of March, 1872, at the age of seventy-two years. During his life
he was a member of the Free Methodist Church, in which body he was an exhorter and a most devoted worker.
He was well known throughout the county and enjoyed the respect of all his neighbors and associates.
Mrs. Clark's mother was in her maiden days Miss Lovicy Brooks, a native of New York, there born in 1811. She was married in her native State January 29, 1830. She died
March 29,1891 at the good old age of seventy-nine years. She was the mother of thirteen children, twelve of whom grew to manhood and womanhood, and of these eight are now living. Mrs. Clark is the eleventh child and seventh daughter. The names are as follows: William, deceased; Ruth; John, deceased; Mariam; Sarah, deceased; Martha; Mary Ann, deceased; Abi, Annie, Amos, the last of whom died in the service of his country; Eliza M., Celestine and Joseph.
Mrs. Clark remained at home until her marriage, which took place September 15, 1868. While yet a young lady she had acquired a reputation for being a most accomplished housewife as well
as an intelligent and capable young woman. She united her fate for better or worse with that of Lanson E. Clark, who was a native of this State, township and county, and was born December 18, 1844. He was the son of Lee Grand and Catherine Vroman Clark.
He was reared and educated in his native place and was considered one of the young men with brightest prospects of that township. He enlisted in 1862 in the War of the Rebellion, joining Company E, of the Twenty-sixth
Regiment of Michigan Infantry, and after an honorable service during which he saw much
hard fighting he received his discharge at Alexandria, Va., June 4, 1865, and was mustered out at Washington
June 28, 1865, after which he returned to his home in Michigan. In one battle he was wounded by a musket shot which lodged in his head, and although it was not immediately fatal
he never recovered from its effects, it causing his death in 1889. He was buried in the Hartland Cemetery amid the most deferential honors paid by a large concourse of relatives and friends. He was a noble, Christian
man, and very well known in the county, also thoroughly liked by all who knew him, although
he was all invalid much of the time during his latter years. His wife was his constant companion and guardian during this time.
Mrs. Clark is the mother of seven children, four sons and three daughters, whose names are in
order of birth as follows: Rosa Adell, Anna Delilia and Anson Delbert (twins), Amos Lee Grand, Joseph Calvin, Blanche Lovicy and Lanson A. C. The eldest daughter is the wife of Berton E. Pearson they reside in Milford, Oakland County, this State. Anson Delbert died at the age of nine years and ten months, and Amos died at the age of eight years, one month and nine days. The other children are still at home with their mother, brightening her life in an endeavor to return the loving affection and care which she has lavished upon them in their early youth. Mrs. Clark is the owner of eighty acres of good land which she rents, and this brings her in a very comfortable income.
ENOS SOWLE. The owner of the excellently cultivated farm, comprising one hundred and seventy-five acres on section 33, Howell Township, Livingston County, has witnessed the growth of this immediate section of the country, he himself having come here in 1855, when the woods were still in their virgin state, and the deer, wildcat and wolves were more frequent visitors than any of his own kind. He built a shanty in the midst of this wilderness and made that his home for a number of years. Then as his condition, financially, was bettered,
he built his present commodious and comfortable dwelling, which is thoroughly fitted for the enjoyment of life.
He keeps a great deal of stock, among which are fine grade cattle and a large number of horses
The original of this sketch was born in Tompkins County, N.Y., in the township of Danbury, on the 8th of June, 1826. His parents were John and Florilla (Dikeman) Sowle, natives of Rhode Island and New York, respectively. The former was a mechanic by calling, and after a lifetime spent in the struggle with the exigencies of existence, his decease occurred in Cayuga County, N.Y.
His widow came to Michigan in 1846, with a family of children; her sons-in-law, with their
families accompanied her, making in all a party of nineteen persons. They settled in the township
of Handy, this county, where they purchased land. There our Subject's mother passed away from this
life in September, 1852.
He of whom we write was brought up a farmer lad and drilled in the agricultural science, not as it is accomplished it the present time, but by the hardest manual labor. The rudiments of his education were received prior to his coming to Michigan, and indeed
he had not many advantages after reaching the age of ten years, for it that time he commenced to be self-supporting, working out and receiving $3.25 per month for his services. To appreciate the privations and hardships of the family, the reader must know that the first pair of shoes possessed by our subject were obtained when he was six years old, and they were made from horse-hide--the hide of an animal which the family had owned.
Mr. Sowle worked out by the month and day until twenty-eight years old, at which time he
had accumulated enough to be enabled to purchase the farm upon which he now lives. After obtaining
the home he felt the need of a companion, and made mistress of his house Miss Justina
Curtis. They were married December 14, 1854. She was a native of Handy Township, this county, and is the daughter of Benjamin and Mary A. (Bush) Curtis, who came to this State and county in 1836. Two children, who are living, are the evidence of the plighted troth of our subject and his wife. They are
Mary J., who is now Mrs. George Carl, and the mother of three children--Freddie, Marcia and Martha, the two last named being twins. She, with her husband and family, is a resident of this
township, and is the owner of a farm of fifty-four acres, located on section 33. The next child is a son, George E., who died when twenty-nine years of age, and the youngest is
a daughter, Rosa A. P.
Our subject, politically, affiliates with the Democratic party, that platform appealing more directly to his ideas of justice and right as far its governmental power is concerned.
He is a self made man, having been not only industrious, but a good manager and exceedingly energetic, He is
(724) rewarded with the greatest respect and liking in the county, which has honored him on several occasions by nominating him to office. He has, however refused to be in incumbent of local offices, attending strictly to his own legitimate business, which is that of farming. He has a beautiful home which is not only comfortable, being
arranged with all conveniences that give modern farming so great in advantage over the old style, but being also an attractive edifice in outer appearance as well as inner arrangement.
He is a man of unimpeachable character and standing.
The owner and resident upon the fine farm located on section
13, Hartland Township, Livingston County is a native of Prussia, the country that has so great a reputation for its soldiery, having one of the most magnificent standing armies in the world.
To it the world is indebted for many things out side of a great military example. She stands first in original experiments in science and only second to England in her literature. Its inhabitants have common sense views of life that lead to a splendid physical development, for the German nation as
people are noted for their fine physiques and Iongevity.
Image of Frederick
Mr. Hibner was born May 25, 1831, in the district of Macteburg; his father, Daniel Hibner, also a native of Germany,
he came to the United States in 1853, landing in New York City, December 4.
He first located in Ohio, and there lived for one year, at the end of which time
he proceeded to this State and settled in Springville Township, Oakland County, whence
he removed to Groveland Township, two years later, at which place he purchased forty acres of farm land. This
he sold and later bought a farm at White Lake this he also sold and came to live with his son, our subject, passing away from this life it his home, after having reached the age of seventy-seven years. Our subject's mother was before her marriage a Miss Catherine Daten, a native of Germany as was her husband. She was the faithful
and loving companion of his life and finally died at the age of seventy-six years.
Our subject is one of seven children, being the
eldest child. He was reared in his native land, and was twenty-one years old when
he came to this country. He received his education in the Fatherland, becoming thoroughly well drilled in
the branches as taught in his Country. On coming to America with his father, he resided for two
years in Ohio, whence he came to Michigan and located in Oakland County. He there hired out
by the month on various farms, spending most of his time with Newton Biglo, of Springville
Township, working for him seven years. He received here $10 per month for his first labor. After leaving Mr. Biglo,
he went to Holly where he purchased forty acres of land; this he partially
remaining there for a period or three years, and then coming to his present location.
On settling here Mr. Hibner found that no improvements had been made, with the exception
of a little log house, and he at once bent his
efforts toward making the place somewhat realize this idea of a farm. His marriage took place
in Oakland County, his bride being Miss Arstena Milhberg, like himself, a native of Germany. They are the parents of eight children, five daughters and three sons, whose names are is
follows -- Mary, Charles, Emma, Anna, Lenor, Henry, Merwin and Susan. Mary is now the wife of Mr. M.
Wycoff, and resides not a great distance from her parents. The children are all bright and intelligent, the boys being gifted with considerable business capability and talent. The young ladies
are accomplished and prepossessing.
Mr. Hibner is the owner of five hundred and fifteen acres of land, all in one body except eighty
acres which is on section 10. It speaks well for our subject's ability
as a business man that while he came to this State with scarcely more than
an abiding faith in his physical strength, and his ability to work for what he wanted, he has acquired his present handsome property. His residence
is a view of which appears on another page, was built in 1875 at a cost of $1,500. It is a cozy and
comfortable little home that is gay with the merry jests and ringing laughter of the young people.
Our subject deals quite extensively in sheep, and at present has two hundred head of fine breed. His farm is well stocked, irrigated and drained, and
he cultivates the entire place with the exception of eighty acres. He owns a farm on section 14, upon which is a good house, with other improvements. In his political principles and
predilection, Mr. Hibner is a Republican. His first vote was cast for Buchanan.
He was reared in a Lutheran family and is still an adherent of that faith, his wife and children also belonging to that