THOMAS McKERNAN, one of the oldest
settlers of this county, who has lived here since 1836, was born in Orange County, N.Y., October 30, 1831. His parents were John and
Margaret (Mossy) McKernan; the father, who was a farmer in Orange County, moved to Northfield,
Washtenaw County, Mich., in 1833. Three years later he removed to White Oak Township, this county, when this section of Michigan was entirely a wilderness. He took from the Government five lots of new land and cleared off a good farm.
Image of Thomas McKernan
Upon that pioneer farm our subject grew to
manhood. The common schools of that day were somewhat limited in their curriculum but the
teachers were conscientious and devoted; the pupils felt the need of gaining knowledge and the drill
was thorough and constant. Mr. McKernan obtained therein a good, practical education, and
after leaving school devoted himself to farming for some time.
The family of John and Margaret McKernan consisted of sixteen children, eight sons and eight daughters. Two sons died in the army; Philip, who was the Captain of Company B,
Twenty-seventh Michigan Infantry, and William, who belonged to Company H, Third Michigan Regiment. Our subject enlisted August 13, 1862, after his two brothers had been killed, and became a member of the Twenty-sixth Michigan Infantry, Company H, and, was in the Army of
the Potomac, doing most of his fighting in the Second Army Corps. He passed through the different battles in which his regiment was engaged until he
was discharged at Washington March 27, 1865, upon the ground of physical disability. He had been promoted from the ranks of a private to the position of a Corporal and afterward to that of Sergeant.
Upon his return home Mr. McKernan again engaged in agricultural pursuits and remained on the farm till the fall of 1882, when
he was elected to the office of Sheriff on the Democratic ticket, being the first successful candidate on that ticket for twenty years. He took the oath of office upon New Year's Day 1883, and served for
four years, after which he retired from active work and has since lived in Lansing at No. 605 North Walnut Street. To him and his faithful helpmate, who was formerly Miss Mary Welch, of Washtenaw County, four children have been born, three of whom, two sons and one daughter, died in infancy. The surviving child, Eugene, is now in business in Omaha, Neb., and travels for a New York firm. While living in White Oak Township, Mr. MeKernan was Treasurer of the township and
he is identified with the Independent Order of Odd Fellows and is highly esteemed wherever known.
Mr. McKernan has Iong maintained the reputation of a skilled hunter. Probably no
man in this county has shot more deer or other wild game than he, and he
can say what perhaps no other man can truthfully assert, that he killed one deer with his father's rifle before
he had reached the acre of nine years. At that time Indians were plentiful and
were his only playmates, often accompanying him on hunting expeditions. He recalls vividly that the last three wild turkeys
he brought down were shot with a rifle while the birds were on the wild.
In connection with this sketch the reader will find a lithographic portrait of Mr. McKernan.
BURKHART, deceased. Among the
honored and respected citizens of Livingston County, who came here at all early day and proved themselves efficient in promoting the growth of the colony and
developing it resources along the lines of agriculture as well as in moral, religious and intellectual paths, none is worthy of more esteem than
he whose name we place at the head of this paragraph.
Our subject was born October 19, 1820, near Mt. Morris, N.Y., and was a
son of Samuel and Sally (Johnson) Burkhart, natives of New York. The father chose farming as his life work and came to Michigan in 1846, settling in Cohoctah Township, Livingston County, where he entered and improved a farm. To him and his good wife were granted ten
children, of whom eight lived to become the heads of families, namely: Henry, Uriah, Mary A., Emily, Marquiss, Sarah, Harriet and Hannah. Samuel Burkhart died suddenly in January, 1861, as
he dropped dead without a moment's warning. His wife survived him some five or six years.
He of whom we write grew up upon a farm and received but scanty schooling, as the educational advantages of that early day were very limited. The early settlers of Michigan were a class of intelligent and educated men and women, and they desired for their children the best opportunities and secured them as early as possible, but during the first few decades it was impossible for them to provide as they would have wished in this direction.
The young man became a wagon-maker by trade, a calling which was very valuable in those days, as wagons were not plentiful among the settlers and there was a great demand for them. Upon the 19th of March,
he was united in marriage with Miss Lydia Hagedorn, who was born in the township of Penfield, Monroe County, N.Y., January 23, 1824.
She was a daughter of Samuel and Rachel (Hall) Hagedorn, who carried
on a farm in New York. The mother of Mrs. Burkhart had three sons and five daughters, namely Jonathan, David, John, Almira, Lena, Lavina, Margaret, and
Lydia. Three of these children died in childhood and one of the sons passed away when a young man. Their mother who was a devout member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, died in 1832, and Mr. Hagedorn married Margaret Randolph for his second wife and she became the mother of two children, Josiah and Esther. He was a Whig in his political views and
he died in Webster Township, Monroe County, N.Y., in 1868.
After the marriage of our subject he and his bride made their first home
at Little Sandusky, Ohio, but in the fall of 1845 they came to Michigan and settled in Byron, Shiawassee County. But here Mr. Burkhart was constantly afflicted with ague, and after remaining here for
a year they decided to leave the West and return to their East home. It was not until November, 1854, that
the family decided to try the effect of the Western climate, and upon their return to Michigan they settled in Cohoctah for a few years and later went to Flint, this State, where they purchased eighty acres of land and made that their home for some time.
In the fall of 1865 Mr. Burkhart returned to Cohoctah Township and purchased one hundred and
ten acres on section 33, which was mostly in a cleared and improved condition. Here
he made his home until he was called hence by death, July 17, 1888. The children of Henry and Lydia Burkhart are: William
H.; Homer, who died at the (759)
age of fifteen; Alice, the wife of Bethuel Rathburn; Frank A.; Ella (deceased), who was the wife of Frank Dorrance; Emma, the wife of Robert Bravener; and Jessie. Ever since their marriage our subject and his wife have been active and interested in the work of the Methodist Episcopal Church, and the loss of this esteemed and beloved brother was deeply felt by all the members of that body.
DANA. There is probably no one in Leroy Township, Ingham County, who is better known and more highly respected among the old pioneers than
he whose name we now give. He was born October 22, 1830, in Genesee County, N.Y., and in 1837 he came with his parents, Oren and Adeline (Goodwell) Dana, from New York to Michigan, making the last stage of their journey with ox-team to Detroit, thus becoming one of the first settlers in Leroy Township. Their first home was in a log shanty about 18x20 feet, and it was of rough construction with split plank for a floor. After residing there for about two years they erected a more comfortable log cabin.
The father of our subject was the first Supervisor for the district which now comprises four townships. To his home came seven children, only four of whom are now living, namely: Hiram J., James, Mary (wife of William Turner), and Edwin L. He was a man of public spirit and a leader in the Democratic ranks, and in his death the county lost a valued citizen and one of her original pioneers.
He also for many years was Justice of the Peace, to which office he was elected by the vote of both parties.
Our subject grew up amidst the woods and has pleasant memories of Indian neighbors, who were friendly and glad to exchange kindnesses. His education was obtained in the early schools of that day, which, although narrow in their curriculum, were thorough in drill and gave him a good foundation for future study. Upon the 23d of
October, 1853, he married Mary A. Betts, who bore him two children, both deceased, and their mother has also passed from earth. The second wife bore the maiden name of
Alice Barnes, and to her were granted nine children, eight of whom are now living, namely: Nora (wife of Frank Horton), Charles F., Hiram H., Adaline, Alvin
O., Frederick F., Alta M. and Cleveland. Mrs. Alice Dana was some years ago called from earth, and Mr. Dana married the present Mrs. Dana, who was in her maidenhood know as Ella Mann. One son, Earl, has blessed this union, and to all the children the father is giving excellent advantages for education.
Mr. Dana has lived upon his farm for
fifty-three years, with the exception of one year spent in the mercantile business in Williamstown, and it is by his hand that this beautiful estate of four hundred and twenty acres has been developed from the condition of the wilderness to its present prosperous state. He is identified with the Independent Order of Odd Fellows at Williamston, and in his political views is attached to the Democratic party. His success in life is a cause of rejoicing not only among the members of his family but also with all who have known his long life among them and his marked characteristics of probity and honor.
to every living thing, death is still a mystery, because of the great unknown that lies
beyond the veil, which is only rent as breath ceases to, pass the lips and the heart is stilled in
its pulsation. One never realizes the chasm that the dread Angel of Desolation opens up until he
has taken from us one who is as near and dear as nature has allowed the tie to be. The man whose
name is above and of whom one might say in Shakespeare's words, "here is a man," passed away from this life January 5, 1888, leaving to mourn
his loss a widow--Mrs. Anna A. Kingsley.
Mr. Kingsley was born in New York State in 1838.
He was the son of Jonathan and Polly Kingsley, natives of the Empire State. They came West and settled at Salem, Washtenaw County, this State, and there engaged in farming. There was a family of seven children, our subject being the fourth in order of birth. Although like most of the men who have acquired property in this State,
he began with very little, before his death he had accumulated more than a handsome property--being one of the prominent and
wealthy farmers of Howell Township. He was the owner of a beautiful farm of two hundred and eighty acres, bearing fine buildings and an excellently built residence, also barns and sheds for stock.
The original of this sketch was married first to
Susan Thomas. Mrs. Susan Kingsley died in February, 1879, and she was the mother of three children, whose names are, Luella, Christopher C. and Grace. In 1880
he was again married, this union being with Miss Anna A. Stephens. Their nuptials were solemnized at Howell Township. Mrs. Kingsley is a daughter of Andrew and Eunice (Southwell) Stephens, who were natives of Steuben County, N.Y. They came to Michigan in an early day and engaged in farming. Andrew Stephens was a man of great ability,
unending perseverance and highest integrity. He died at Woodhull, Mich., and his wife at Williamston. They had a family of eight children, five of whom are now living. They are Philander, Sarah A., Eliza J., Josephine and Anna A., who is now Mrs. Kingsley. Those who passed away are: Nathan, who was a soldier in the late war of the Rebellion;
he lost his health in the army and died one year after his return of consumption. The other sons who are deceased are Joseph and Charles. Mr. Kingsley, during his life, was an ardent advocate of the Democratic party. Public-spirited and liberal,
he took a deep interest in all that pertained to the growth and welfare of the county and his influence is still felt here.
Mrs. Kingsley, who, in dictating this biographical sketch thus pays a tribute to the memory of the companion with whom she
lived so happily for a number of years, is a lady of marked refinement and taste. She presides with dignity and grace over the beautiful home of which her husband made her mistress. Her parents died in
Shiawassee County. She is the mother of three children--Ezra A., Mildred M. and Willie E., dead. Prominent in every measure that promises to be for the interest and advancement of the community in which she lives, she is looked up to and respected by all who know her.
LOVEJOY. It is with pleasure that the biographer records a life which has been notable alike for service both in peace and war. The military record of Mr. Lovejoy is one of which any patriot might feel proud, and since the days of peace have come he has proved himself equally worthy in the ordinary avocations of life. His pleasant home is situated on section 3, Locke Township, Ingham County, and
he is a Wolverine by birth, having had his nativity, August 5, 1844. His father, Hiram Lovejoy, was a native of New England, and his mother, Sarah E. Knowles, was born in New York. William Lovejoy, a half-brother of the father was a soldier of the War of 1812. Hiram Lovejoy came to Oakland County,
Mich., in 1837, and some years later made his home in Shiawassee County, removing to Ingham County in 1847, and
taking land now occupied by his sons.
When this family came here there were but five voters including Mr. Lovejoy, Sr., in the school district. A log cabin furnished a shelter for the family and here this hard working pioneer did much in clearing the land. He died from a stroke of lightning, July 24, 1872, being killed while asleep upon his bed. He had been bereaved of his wife January 24, 1867. He was a Republican in his political views and a conscientious member of the Church of the United Brethren.
Our subject was in his third year when he came to this county from Shiawassee County, traveling with ox-teams, and here he received his early training and education. He remembers hearing the wolves howl and seeing the black bears prowl about his early home. He received a common-school education, which he has abundantly
supplemented by an extensive course of reading. He enlisted August 7, 1862, in Company A, Twentieth Regiment,
Michigan Infantry, and took part, in the battles of Fredericksburg, Spottsylvania, the Wilderness, Nye River and skirmishes of minor importance.
He served for over three years doing duty in Virginia and Kentucky, and received his honorable discharge, May 28, 1865, but remained in Washington to take part in the Grand Review and was present it the funeral pageant of the beloved martyred President.
After the war Mr. Lovejoy returned to Ingham County, and bought the farm upon which
he now resides. He was married March 14,1869, to Helen M. Houghton, daughter of Horace Houghton, a well-known citizen of Genesee County,
N.Y. This couple had one daughter, Cora Isabel, who is now engaged in teaching music. His eighty acres of finely cultivated land have been gained by his efforts, aided only by the co-operation of his worthy helpmate. He is a Republican in his political views and has served many years as Justice of the Peace. He is
identified with the Independent Order of Odd Follows at Perry, Michigan, and is highly respected in that order.
CLARK. The owner of the most elegant home in the beautiful little town of Brighton is
he whose name is at the head of this sketch. The greater part of his life
has been spent in the calling of agriculture, from the active pursuit of which, however,
he is now retired, being determined to enjoy what of life is before him. The greater portion of the
time that he devotes to business is spent in the placing of investments. Our subject was born in this State, in the city of Ann Arbor, which is now best known as having so high a standing
as an educational center. His natal day was May 9, 1827. His father was Jason Clark, a native of Massachusetts, although he removed to New York when a young man. There
he married Miss Polly Britton, and pursued the calling of farming in that State for a number of years. In 1823, before Michigan had been admitted as a State, he emigrated hither, coming by way of Lake Erie to Detroit, and settled upon land which is now located near the city of Ann Arbor. At that time there were not more than half a dozen houses in the locality.
He there purchased land of the Government, and bent his efforts to clearing and improving the same, making of it a beautiful farm.
At that time the country was very new, the Indians not yet having been convinced that they had not a legal and moral right there. Wild game of all kinds was plentiful, and the larder was often stocked with the choicest venison, wild turkey, bear meat, and other meat viands, while corn and wheat were easily raised in the virgin soil that needed only to be turned over
with the plow after being cleared, and the seed therein dropped. The Indians on their way to Detroit to receive their rations and presents were the most frequent passers-by at the Clark home, and
firm was the presiding genius there, or it is doubtful whether the family would themselves have had enough to eat and wear, such inveterate beggars did they find their red-skinned visitors to be. The father subsequently removed to Scio Township, in Washtenaw County, and later came to Green Oak Township, Livingston County, where
he took up Government land, which he cleared and improved, and thus engaged
he spent the remainder of his life, passing away from this world at the age of seventy-four
years, in 1865. He served during the War of 1812.
He was much interested in the progress of church work is accomplished by the Presbyterian
denomination, in which body
he was an Elder, and had been so connected for many years prior to his decease. Our subject's mother, although a native of
Vermont, was reared in New York State, where she received her education. She was of French descent, and gifted with all the charms and graces of manner and mind of her ancestors. She was almost a life-long member of the Presbyterian Church. She died in 1856, leaving eight children, of whom four are still living, two sons and two daughters.
Our subject was born in the log house built by his father, on the present site of Ann Arbor. He enjoyed only limited educational advantages, for at that time there were but few schools and but
little time to spare for even an acquisition of a knowledge of the three
R's, and of the Rule of Three. He only attended school in the little log school house, that was quite a distance from his home, about one term; but being an assimilative nature, the early deficiency was largely made up for by later study and reading. He assisted his father in clearing and improving the land, his ax ringing out during the winter season from dawn until time to take care of the stock. Great heap of branches and logs were converted into potash that enriched and fertilized the land, fertile as it already was. He continued under the parental roof until twenty-one years of age, at which time
he began farming the old homestead on shares and in a few years he was enabled to purchase the place, which was located on section 9,
of Green Oak Township.
Our subject began threshing when he was only seventeen years old, and made that his business during the season, for about twenty-five years. During this time he invented a straw-carrier to be used on the old-fashioned wheat thresher. This was called a three-section stacker. Upon this
he obtained a patent, and later he invented and had patented another stacker for use on the vibrator thresher. In the spring of 1873 Mr. Clark
retired from active farming and removed to Brighton where he has since resided. In the fall of 1872 he disposed of his farm, and has since interested himself in money lending.
In November, 1853, the original of our sketch was married to Miss Maria Goucher, who was born in Byron, Genesee County, N.Y., in 1835. She was a daughter of Austin Goucher, also of New York, who came to Michigan at an early
day and engaged in farming, which he pursued until the end of his life, his decease occurring about
Mr. and Mrs. Clark have had no children of their own, but have raised two, Emma and Frank Goucher, the former now deceased. They have also given a parent's care and affection to a young girl, Minnie Hatt, who, while with them, received
an excellent education. Our subject shows his progressive principles by allying himself with the
Prohibition party, whose platform he feels to embody the principles that must be the issue of the
future as much in public life as in domestic relations. Both he and his wife are members of the
Presbyterian Church, in which body he has been a s Trustee for some time.
Since making his home in Brighton, he of whom
we write has been somewhat engaged in selling agricultural implements, but his business is principally that of lending money. Most of the winters are spent by our subject and his wife in a
more genial clime than that of Michigan. As the cold weather approaches they usually flit to California or Florida,
in both of which States they have spent several seasons.
SCHROEDER. A noteworthy element in our population is that class who, being the children of our German-American citizens have shown the excellent s training of the Fatherland in their industry and
thrift. They have helped to develop the resources of this country and many of them are prominent
on account of their success in business. Among these we find the gentleman whose name appears at the head of this paragraph, who came to this
county with only $11 in his pocket and to-day is one of the leading financiers of the county.
Mr. Schroeder, who is now a dealer in hardware and
agricultural implements at Howell was born in Berlin, Canada, in 1855, his immediate
progenitors being Henry and Johannah (Weyhrauch) Schroeder, both natives of Germany, who came to Canada in 1849. The father was by trade a tin smith and followed that vocation in Canada before
coming to Detroit in 1856. After his wife's death, which took place in 1882, this good man remained at the City of the Straits until 1886, when
he came to Howell where he has since remained.
The paternal grandfather of our subject was Philip Schroeder, who was by trade a cooper, and
went to Canada and afterward lived at Detroit but eventually returned to his native land where
he died. The maternal grandfather, Jacob Weyhrauch, was a wagon-maker and spent his life in his native province of Saxony, Germany. The four children of Henry Schroeder are Mrs. Peter Ertz, of Detroit, Fredrick P.; Mrs. Fred Bloss, of Chicago; and Alfred A., of Detroit.
He of whom we write received his education mostly at Detroit at the German Lutheran
School and earned his first wages at the age of twelve years, carrying parcels for the crockery store of R. W. King. Here he remained for a year and a half and then began his apprenticeship to the tinner's trade. After serving three years
he worked as a journeyman four and a half years in Detroit, after which he came to Fowlerville and worked there
in the same capacity for six months for Cook & Laughlin. At the expiration of that time these gentlemen dissolved partnership and our subject took charge of the
establishment for Mr. Laughlin and thus continued for six years.
Mr. Schroeder now went on the road, traveling for S. L. Bignall & Co., of Chicago, selling heavy hardware, and after about one year in their service
he returned to Fowlerville and bought a half interest with Mr. Laughlin in his business, entering into partnership under the firm name of Laughlin & Schroeder. Four years later Mr. Schroeder sold out his interest in this business and coming to Howell established a hardware store of his own. He first opened across the street from his present place of business. He then purchased lots on the corner of Walnut and Grand River Streets, and put
up the finest building block in Howell. It is a beautiful brick block with dimensions of 23x122 feet and is two stories in height, having an implement room
65x21 feet. Five men beside himself are needed to keep this establishment going.
Some five and one-half miles south of Howell there is a handsome farm which is owned and
managed by Mr. Schroeder. It is well improved and a credit to its owner. He also has a share in
an orange grove in Florida. He was one of the organizers and is still connected with the Bending Works of Howell, and with two others has just started the Sampson Basket and Barrel Works near
the Toledo & Ann Arbor Railroad track. His marriage, which took place in 1882, brought to his
home Miss Eugenia Naylor, a daughter of Edwin and Laura Naylor. His political views are such
as are expressed in the declarations and platform of the Republican party and both
he and his good wife are earnest and active members of the Methodist Episcopal Church.
He is also identified with the Masonic order and has been one of its members for some years.
HUCK. A progressive agriculturist in Howell Township, Livingston County, our subject is the proprietor of a fine farm on section 30. It comprises one hundred and eighty-six acres of land, which is a model in the way of cultivation and general appointments. He has here a beautiful home and the finest barns and outbuildings.
Coming here in 1858, he first purchased forty acres and built a log house which served as the abiding-place for himself and family until
he had added other lands to his original purchase and was enabled by their productiveness to erect his present attractive and pleasing residence. Mr.
Huck is a representative of the Teutonic element in this country, having been born near the Rhine in 1837. He is a son of Frank and Catherine (Kern) Huck, natives of Germany. The former was a miller by trade and came to America with his family in the hope of bettering their circumstances in 1848. They first settled in Niagara County, N.Y., but later came to Macon
(Mason?) County, Mich., in 1854. There the head of the family remained for one summer and then removed his family and household effects to Marion Township, this county. Later again
he removed to Brighton Township. There he engaged in farming for some little time and then removed to Howell Township in 1856. Here
he lived until his death, which occurred in 1860.
Our subject's mother survived her husband by several years, passing away in Marion Township. They had a family of eight children, only four of
(764) whom, however, are now living. They are Valentine, Barbara, Leonard and Savilla. Frank Huck served as a soldier under-Napoleon Bonaparte for eight years during the campaigns in Russia and Spain and held the position of Lieutenant.
He of whom we write was reared with a more intimate knowledge of farming than
any other branch. After coming to this country he attended school in Brighton Township, and acquired a practical education that has been of great assistance to him in his business life.
He remained at home on the old homestead until after his marriage, which took place in Brighton, this county, January 1, 1858. His bride was Miss Mary Hacker,
a daughter of John and Helen (Crostick) (Grostick?) Hacker, natives of Saxony, Germany. They came to America in 1848 and settled at Brighton where the
father of the family engaged in farming and lived until his decease. On her husband's death the mother came to live with her daughter, Mrs. Huck, and was there tenderly cared for until her death, which occurred in April, 1885. They had a family of eight children, four of whom are now living. They are Mrs. Huck, John, Charles and Henry.
Mr. Huck is most delightfully situated in his domestic life. His wife is a model housekeeper and the comfort of her husband and children are paramount considerations to her. Their family includes eight children, who are, William, Julia, Mary, Rosa, Leonard, Lilly, Charles and Myrtie M. The eldest son is married, his wife having been a Miss Barbara Jadle. They have one son, William, and
are residents of Ingham. County. Julia is now Mrs. William Mountain and is the mother of one daughter, Maude and they reside in Sturgis, Mich.; Mary is now Mrs. Munsell of this county Rosa married Eugene Henry of this place; Leonard is the husband of Nettie White of Marion Township; Lilly is Mrs. Hatt and resides in Conway, Mich., she has one son, Howard; Charles and Myrtie M. still remain at home.
He of whom we write has been honored by election to many important offices in the township.
He has been School Director for a number of years. Politically he is a believer in the doctrines of the Republican party. During the Rebellion he was drafted and served for three months, but
he was never in any engagement, Johnston having surrendered before his regiment reached the scene of
action. The very pleasant home that Mr. Huck owns was built in 1880 at a cost of $1,700 which
did not include his own labor. He is the owner of some very fine stock, having graded and full-blood Short-horn cattle.
COFFEY. One of the representative men of the township, whose
usefulness and devotion to the general and public interests of local Governmental
matters makes him a more important factor in the community than any financial position which
he may have, resides on section 18, Handy Township, Livingston County, where he is the proprietor of
eighty acres of good land. He is a native of this district being born in 1854, and a son of Levi and
Julia (White) Coffey, natives of New York. Their advent into the State was made while it
the abiding-place of the red man, the panther, wolf and deer, few white men having come here
prior to 1825, at which time Mr. Coffey, Sr., came into the territory. He was as yet unmarried, his
nuptials being celebrated after settling in Handy Township.
Our subject's father first settled in Marion Township, this county, and later removed to Washtenaw County, finally coming to Handy Township, where
he purchased land and engaged in farming, acquiring here five hundred and
eighty-seven acres of as good land as the country afforded. He was in energetic, stirring man, of fine business capacity and made of his place a model farm, bearing fine buildings and at the time of his death, which took place February 24, 1891, he was undoubtedly one of the wealthiest men in the township. An ardent Democrat in his political preference,
he was not ambitious to be the tool of any party and refused office of whatever nature. He belonged to the Masonic fraternity which was doubtless of great assistance to him in his early pioneer life. An indefatigable worker and a
(765) progressive man who kept abreast of the times in his calling,
he did much for the improvement of the locality and county outside of the beautifying an cultivating of his own estate,
he was known and respected by all. His wife died in 1881. They left a family of four sons, Frank, Henry A., Fred and Marshal.
He of whom we write enjoyed good educational advantages. On reaching manhood
he was attracted by the beauty and amiability of Miss Ella Davis, daughter of Benjamin and Mary A. (Raymond)
Davis, natives of Michigan, and persuaded her to become his wife. Their marriage was
solemnized November 3, 1877. Five children have gathered about the hearth-stone and board and make the
house merry with their gay badinage and fun. They are by name Ethel, Flora, Vance, Vern and Howard.
Mr. Coffey engaged in general farming which he finds more profitable than confining himself entirely to one specialty, for if one line falls into arrears it is almost always made good by another.
Our subject belongs to the Democrat party and is a member of the Knights of the Maccabees. He has been honored by election to several public offices, being now Justice of the Peace and has held the office of Constable for some time. He is one of the representative men of this township and being young in years his friends may expect large progress in the future.