HON. SAMUEL L. KILBOURNE, one of the oldest residents of this county who has
for many years been practicing law at Lansing, came here in early life. with his father, Joseph H. Kilbourne, and located in Meridian Township, eight miles east of Lansing in what was then an absolute forest. The father was born in Canada near the St. Francis River, May 8, 1809, and remained there until 1839. He married Miss Susannah Hughes, whose parents came from Berkshire County, Pa. Our subject was born not far from Toronto, Canada, April 15,1839. Before that event his father, who
was a Captain of rebel infantry in the Patriot War was taken prisoner and held in Toronto until
he with five others escaped, crossed the St. Clair River at Point Sarnia, reaching Detroit where
he obtained work as a blower and striker in a blacksmith shop. He was in the employ of his wife's brother, another refugee who had escaped with him. After they had accumulated some means they sent for their families, and going to Northville,
Wayne County, built a store and blacksmith shop.
In 1843 Joseph H. Kilbourne removed to Ingham county and
bought a tract of land which had been occupied by Chief Okemos and three hundred Pottawattomie Indians. In connection with his brother-in-law
he built a sawmill and a large double log house and opened a store. They proceeded to clear
up a farm and remained in that locality until 1849 when on the location of the State capital at Lansing he removed to that city and took charge of
what was known as the Seymour property, building a large sawmill and attending to its operation.
At the same time he sold large tracts of land and built the first woolen mills which were erected in
this part of the State.
The father of our subject had been a member of the Legislature from this district during the session of 1847, at which the capitol was removed to Lansing. He was again a member of the Legislative body during its first session at Lansing and remained there until the spring of 1851 when he sold out his city property and returned to the farm. About this time he took a small company across the plains to California, acting as their captain and remained there until the fall of 1858, when
he returned to his farm on which he still lives (1891) aged eighty-three. His family of five children are. William V. who has been in California since 1853; Caroline Jeffers, deceased; Joseph H., Jr., who lives in
Big Rapids, where he was Postmaster during Cleveland's administration; our subject; Emily L. who for twenty years has been engaged in teaching and is now the Principal of the Larch Street School. Three children died in early childhood.
The father of this family has been a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church since
he was eighteen years old and helped to organize it at Lansing and for several years was a Trustee. In those early days his big log house was used as headquarters for church services for a large extent of country.
Samuel L. Kilbourne secured his first education at home, and when he began to go to school
he was already familiar with Webster's spelling book, a grammar and an arithmetic. The only periodical literature which then reached their home was a blanket sheet published at Philadelphia, entitled
The Brother Jonathan. The father was Postmaster for a number of years and letter postage was twenty-five cents. The amount of mail was small but money was still more scarce and it was often hard work to get enough change to get out a
(776) letter. Wild game and Indians abounded and fever and ague prevailed, the antidotes to that complaint being
Moffatt's pills and Phoenix bitters.
Our subject attended school at Okemos and Lansing and was a pupil of the Rev. Richard Taylor. Later in 1854 he attended Albion College, and three years after entered the Agricultural College at its opening. During his first year
he worked three hours a day at ten cents an hour to pay his way, and by working extra hours
he had paid his expenses and at the close of the year had $5 over. He taught school for three months keeping up with his class at college but finally lost his place in college because his county was over represented there and the number must be cut down.
He then read law by himself and began to practice a little in the Justice's court, and before
he was twenty-one he joined the first class in the Law Department at Ann Arbor. After graduation
he returned to Lansing and began to practice which he has carried on continuously since.
Mr. Kilbourne has at different times received nominations and was upon the ticket for Circuit Court Commissioner in the fall of 1861, but although he made a splendid canvass he was defeated with the rest of his ticket. During the war
he helped in conducting meetings to secure the enlistment of soldiers, making splendid war speeches all through this part of the State. He was prepared to go into the army himself along with a company which
he helped to enroll, but his brother Henry, who had agreed to remain at home and look after the family, took the war fever and enlisted in the First Michigan Sharpshooters so that Samuel was obliged to give up going.
During the years of 1860-61 Mr. Kilbourne was a regular
contributor to several newspapers, to which he sent political articles, and also edited and
published the Michigan State Journal, a Democratic paper published at Lansing. While
he was Deputy Clerk of the Supreme Court he had full charge of the office of that court.
He has been a member of the City Board of Education, City Attorney and
served as assistant to the County Prosecuting Attorney. In 1874 he was elected to the Legislature
from this district on the Democratic ticket, although the Republicans had a general majority. During
that session he was one of the special committee and the author of the bill
on the liquor traffic and reported by that committee which repealed the prohibitory law, putting in its stead
the present tax system. In May, 1891, he was appointed by Gov. Luce a member of the Advisory Board in the matter of pardons, which office he still holds and has been for two years the President of that board.
Upon the old homestead at Okemos our subject still takes an interest in agricultural pursuits and especially in the breeding of fine stock. He devotes much attention to the raising of standard trotting and draft horses as well as to Holstein cattle and fine-wool sheep.
The marriage of Mr. Kilbourne in 1862 united him with Miss Louisa F. Burchard, whose father was an attorney from Rome, N.Y., and became the first settler in Lansing, building the first house within the present city limits. This gentleman dammed the river and built a mill, but was drowned before the completion of the mill. Mrs. Kilbourne became the mother of three children, two of whom died before their mother. She passed away in 1873.
The remaining daughter, Mary L., is now the wife of James Harris, of this city. The second marriage of our subject took place November 4, 1874, and united him with Miss Cornelia W. Truax, of
Brooklyn, N.Y. He is a member of the Episcopal Church and for many years has been a Vestryman in that body.
He is identified with the Masonic order and has been Master of Lansing Lodge,
No. 33, and a member of Capital Chapter, No. 9.
Politically, Mr. Kilbourne is recognized as one of the leading Democrats
at Lansing and also of the State of Michigan. He has always been influential in formulating the policy of the party in Michigan. As a stump speaker he is strong, forcible and logical, always
inspiring enthusiasm and impressing his hearers with his belief in the truth
he asserts. This has given him a broad acquaintance throughout the State and a corresponding influence.
He is a hard-working, painstaking lawyer and strong advocate, occupying an enviable position at the bar of the State. His many friends, both within the legal fraternity and socially, will be pleased to notice his portrait in connection with this biographical sketch.
(Editor's note: It appears that for whatever reason, this image was
pulled as his name is not listed in the index of Portraits and there are
no pages in the book between 773 and 775.)
BYRON O. PHIPPS, one of the stirring business men of Howell, is a member of the firm of Phipps & Smith, who are engaged in the livery and omnibus business. Mr. Phipps himself makes a specialty of buying fine horses and training them for the Boston market where
he disposes of them.
Our subject was born in Groveland, Oakland County, Mich., on the 30th of March, 1858, and
he is a son of Joseph and Melissa (Peck) Phipps, the father being an Englishman and the mother a New Yorker. Joseph
Phipps came with his parents, Thomas and Ann, to America and at once journeyed to Michigan. Here they settled in Oakland County. Thomas Phipps was a mechanic by trade but after coming to this country devoted himself to agriculture and continued through life upon his farm in Michigan.
He had a family of six children, whom he trained to maturity in habits of industry and thrift. After coming to this country
he interested himself in the political movements here and was allied with the Democratic party.
Joseph Phipps carried on farming in Oakland County for a number of years and then removed to Holly, the same county, where he engaged in the manufacture of brooms, and later made his home in Detroit where he enlarged his business and employed a number of men in his factory. Like his
father he is a Democrat in his political preferences. His family of eleven children who are all living bear the following names: Charles T., William J.,
Nelson U., Belle E., Byron O., Herbert A., Ernest L., Lewis M., Attie M., Bertha E. and Dexter L. Joseph Phipps died in Detroit August 29, 1891.
The boyhood of our subject was passed upon the farm and he received his education in the graded schools of Holly and followed farming until
he reached the age of twenty-eight years.
After his marriage, which occurred when he was twenty-three years old,
he worked farms on shares for five years, after which he took charge of a meat market at Hartland, this county, for one year and then
he came to Howell and engaged in the business which now engages his energies. He is unusually well adapted to his business as
he is conversant with the habits and fine points of a horse and has handled horses more or less since he was eighteen years old. His love for this fine
animal and his understanding of it, makes him thoroughly successful in its training.
The marriage of our subject to Miss Bertha Allen, daughter of Emery Allen, of Hartland, this county, took place in 1882 and four children have been granted to them: Bernice E., Raymond C., Elva E., and Ira. The Democratic party to which Mr. Phipps is attached, placed him for two years in the office of Deputy Sheriff of the county, a position which
he filled with ability and where be gave great satisfaction to his constituents. Messrs. Phipps & Smith keep in their stable some fourteen horses and turn out as good outfits for the citizens of Howell as can be found in the county.
MARSHALL. The owner of the fine
farm located on section 27, Unadilla Township, Livingston County, is he whose name
is at the head of this sketch. His father was George Marshall, a native of Scotland, and his
mother, Margaret (Mongol) Marshall, also a native of Scotland, the couple being married in the old country. They emigrated to America about 1842,
and settled first in Canada, where they remained for two years, thence coming to Michigan in 1844,
settling at once on a farm in this township. George Marshall was a stone-cutter and builder. The famous Trinity Church which has been a bone of
contention between the original heirs and the trustees, was built partially under his foremanship, and
after the completion of that edifice he did the pointing. He assisted in building a large church
in Buffalo, N.Y., and being an expert in his business at a time when experts were scarce, he did
much of the finest work. After coming to Michigan he returned to New York in order to complete
his work on Trinity Church.
Finally settling permanently upon his farm, he continued to carry it on until his death which occurred in 1862. The widow still survives and lives
(778) in Unadilla Township. They were parents of seven children, only two are now living. The original of our sketch was born August 28, 1838, in the city of Glasgow, Scotland,
on the banks of the Clyde. He was denied educational advantages, being obliged to begin work when very young, having learned the stone-cutter's trade when fourteen years of age, and being only sixteen years old when coming to Michigan. In 1850 Mr. Marshall went South, being engaged in work on a large stone building that was to be used as a cotton factory.
He remained South for one year, and then went to St. Louis, working at his trade for one year. Since that time he has devoted himself and his energies to the development of the resources in his line in the State of Michigan.
Part of the farm on which our subject now lives
is that which his father originally owned, he having purchased eighty acres of his
father's place. His farm is finely improved and bears evidence of high cultivation. Our subject has improved a farm which he owns in Stockbridge Township, Ingham County, but sold it to advantage. His
marriage took place January 1, 1855, his bride being Miss Betsey Dodd, a native of Edinburgh, Scotland. They are the parents of four children, only three of whom are now living. They are Kittie, George and Caroline. Kittie is now Mrs.
O. L. Smith, of Gregory; Caroline, is Mrs. David Sayles, and lives in Tennessee. Mrs. Marshall died in July, 1878, and
he of whom we write was again married November 17,1881, to Mrs. Sloanburg, a widow who had no children. She also was a native of Scotland. Her parents were William and Christina (Piper)
Craig. They were natives of Scotland, being married in that country. They emigrated to Connecticut in 1832, and removed to Michigan in 1836, and settled
on a farm in Unadilla Township, on section 34. In 1850 they removed to Stockbridge, where they both died, the father in 18761, the mother passing away September 28, 1891. Mr. and Mrs. Craig were charter members of the First Presbyterian Church of Unadilla. Mrs. Craig was the last surviving charter member.
Mr. Marshall is now the owner of two hundred and seventeen and a half acres of fine land, a large part of it being under cultivation.
He has done a great amount of clearing and all the building where he now lives, having a
fine home, which is a model of rural neatness and taste. He also has good barns, and erected the residence and outbuildings where his son now lives. Mr. Marshall still carries on the work of the farm for himself. His wife is associated with the Presbyterian Church, while
he is liberal in his religious views. He used to be a Granger, and has been a member of the School Board.
He is a Republican in politics, and for three years has done good service as Highway Commissioner. The gentleman of whom we write started out empty-handed, and what
he now has he has earned by the hardest work, having had but few advantages upon which other men depend. Mr. Marshall carries on general farming, uniting
to the culture of the soil the raising and breeding of fine stock.
Among the quiet and unostentatious, yet thoroughly worthy and efficient members of the business circles of Howell, Livingston County, we are gratified to name one who bears
an honorable name, and who, although not claiming descent from the Presidential chair, traces his lineage to a hero in both the War of 1812 and the War of the Revolution.
This citizen was born April 27, 1827, in the township of Richmond, Ontario County, N.Y., and
is a son of Lemuel and Martha (Rawling) Monroe, natives of the Eastern States. Lemuel Monroe was
a boot and shoemaker, who had served his country nobly in both the Revolutionary War and the conflict of 1812. In his later days
he came to Michigan and lived with a son Francis, until called hence by death after
he had reached the very venerable age of ninety years. He had been the husband of three wives, and by them had eighteen
children, and our subject is the youngest of this patriarchal flock.
The mother of James Monroe died in New York in 1857, and
he was reared upon a farm until he reached the age of twenty-four years, but did not
(779) live at home after he was eight years old. He made his home with a farmer for nine years, and then at the age of seventeen received the clothes which
were commonly given to a bound boy when he left service, and came to Monroe County, Mich. Here he passed four years and then returned to New York, where he worked upon a farm for some four years longer.
He then learned the trade of a carpenter, and did not return to Michigan until 1855.
Settling in Howell, the young man now devoted himself to his trade, and took up the broader business of contracting and building. He purchased
on Clinton Street, where he now lives, two lots and a house and was married in 1857 to Nancy Garmer, daughter of Amos and Sarah (Eaton) Garmer. Mr. Garmer was a native of Germany, and his wife was a Vermonter, while his daughter was born at Dansville, Livingston County, N.Y. He was a merchant tailor, and carried
on a large business at Dansville. They had one other daughter, Maria, who is now Mrs. Leach, of Ionia, this State. The maternal grandfather of Mrs. Monroe was a Eliphalet Eaton, a native of Vermont, who
was engaged in the hotel business at Mt. Morris, N.Y., and to him and his wife Betsey (Goodrich) Eaton, were given a family of twelve children.
Mr. and Mrs. Monroe gave to each of their six children an excellent and liberal
education, and so brought them up that they have become men and women of intelligence, usefulness and a pronounced Christian character, and they all belong to the Methodist or Baptist Church. The oldest, Libby B., is Mrs. Charles Warren, of Gladwin County, this State, and has two children, Claud and Veroy. Dwight D. has been united in marriage with Miss Millie Beach, and they have a little child, Charles B.;
he is a member of the mercantile firm of Monroe Bros., doing business in Howell; George L. is his partner, and they are carrying a fine and well selected stock of dry-goods and groceries, boots and shoes; Ada M. married Arthur Garland, a merchant tailor of Howell, for whom Arthur A., the next brother, acts as clerk; Cora M. is a teacher in the Union schools of Howell, and has a position in the Fourth Ward school. The political views of the father of this prominent and highly respected family, bring him into sympathy and action with
the Republican party, and he is an intelligent observer of the great events which must concern every American, and is deeply interested in the prosperity of our Country.
Oliver Wendell Holmes says that there is no better illustration of the great principles of life than a wagon wheel. The hub represents the great centrifugal force from which radiate the spokes that make the tire effective in its round. Circle within circle. If there is anything in association surely the beautiful principles should be inculcated in the manufacturer is part of the inherent traits of his character and one can well believe that he of whom we write has been open to these best influences. He is one of the largest manufacturers in the town of Howell, Livingston County, making various kinds of wagons and carriages, at the same time doing general blacksmithing. Their
place of business is located on Grand River and their factory was established in 1865.
He of whom we write was born in Warsaw, Wyoming County, N.Y., September 24, 1817. Thus it may be seen that he has attained the golden crest of the heights from which one may look
back upon the past which is irradiated by the setting sun. Mr. Knapp is a son of John R. and Melinda (Wilson) Knapp, natives of Canaan, N.Y., and Middlebury, Vt., respectively. The former is a farmer, although
he had learned the trade in his youth of a boot and shoe maker, but after going to Warsaw, N.Y.,
he turned his attention to agriculture. In 1836 he removed to Ohio where
he occupied several prominent positions within the gift of the county.
He was Justice of the Peace for many years. His decease occurred in 1864, his wife preceding him by a number of years her decease having occurred in 1847. He was an old-line Democrat in his party following. He and his wife were in their church relations Baptist and Presbyterian respectively. Our subject's paternal
(780) grandparents were William and Olive Annabel Knapp. They were natives of Vermont and were engaged in farming. The former went to Warsaw, N.Y., in 1811. Five years later
he met his death by being killed by the falling of a tree. His wife's death took place in 1833. She was thrown out of a carriage, which was dragged by a run
away team, her death occurring shortly after. They had a family of eight children. The mother was a Baptist and of
The mother of our subject, Melinda (Wilson) Knapp, was the daughter of Jacob Wilson, a native of Scotland, who came to America in his
young days and settling in Vermont, later removing to Western New York. In his later life
he returned to Vermont where he continued to live until his death. He was
the father of six children. Mr. Knapp is one of a family of ten children whose names are as follows: Caroline, Jacob, Orson S., William L. Margaret E., Harriet C., John R., Russell A., Theodore B., and James A. But four of these children are now
living--Jacob W., William L., our subject, John R. and James A.
The original of this sketch began the work of self-support when only thirteen years of age and for a period of six months
he worked for $4 per month in the village of Canandaigua, N.Y. In 1835
he went to learn the trade of blacksmith and served for two years and then
he went into partnership with his brother, Jacob W., in the blacksmith business until 1846. At the end of that time
he sold out his interest and engaged in trade in Gainesville, Wyoming County, N.Y., where
he carried on the business for one year. Thence he went to Castile and bought out a blacksmith shop where
he was engaged for two years. Thence he went on a farm and enjoyed bucolic life for two years, at
the end of that time transferring his location to another purchase which he conducted for one year and then sold out. A delightful visit was made in Iowa after which he returned to New York, settling in Warsaw and engaged in his trade for four years.
Agricultural life seems to have been more pleasing to Mr. Knapp than any other, for
he again went on a farm, which, however, at the expiration of two years, he sold. Again in Warsaw, in April,
1861, his patriotic zeal aroused by the firing upon Ft. Sumter, he immediately offered his
services to his country, being the third one to enlist in Warsaw. In company with Messrs. Jenkins, Dudley, Bentley and Bailey, he raised
Company H, Ninth New York Cavalry. After enlisting they were organized and went in camp at Westfield. Thence they went to Albany and were there mustered into service.
The 1st of December, 1861, found the regiment to which our subject belonged in Washington, D. C., and already
he had been promoted to the post of Second-Lieutenant. On the first of March they started for Richmond and got as far as Bailey Crossroads but finding no enemy returned to camp and soon after were ordered to report at Alexandria, Va. They took the boat down the river the 1st of April and on the 5th landed at Fortress Monroe. The second battle of Bull Run in which one and one-half days were spent in hard fighting, is a memorable event in the mind of our subject. He was also present at skirmishes at Big Bethel and Rappahannock. At this time he was
on the staff of Gen. Sigel. After being in service for eighteen months he was discharged, as for some time he had been sick with that common army trouble,
dysentery. He was an efficient officer and received an honorable discharge. His resignation was accepted February 10, 1863, and since that time
he has never seen what may be called a really well day.
After his discharge Mr. Knapp returned to Warsaw and worked at his trade until 1864, when he removed to Dexter, Washtenaw County, Mich., and was there engaged in the hardware business. He continued to be thus employed until 1865, when
he sold out and removed to Howell where he built his present shops. He has employed as many as fifteen men and has enjoyed
the greater part of the patronage in his line in the city for the last twenty-five years. For one year he served
on the City Council.
In 1841 Mr. Knapp was united in marriage to Miss Betsey A. Brockway of Warsaw,
N.Y. One son, Theodore B., was the outcome of this union. Mrs. Betsey Knapp died in April, 1846.
He was again married, his second wife being Elizabeth R. Green. Their nuptials were solemnized September 9, 1847. She was a native of Portage,
(781) Wyoming County, N.Y., and is the mother of five
children--Florence, William R.,
Judson W., Alva W. and Elizabeth R. Theodore B. married Emily E. Keith and is the father of two children--Estella and Walter. Florence married R.
H. Rumsay an is the mother of two children--Annie and Leonard; William, who married Maggie Burrows and two children are the outcome of this
union--Walter and Mamie; Judson W. married Annie Erwin; Alva W. is the husband of Ida Segler; Elizabeth is the wife of Charles Goodnow and is
the mother of three children whose names are Don, Nina and Blanche; Estella married Miller Beurman; one son Max, has come to them to enliven their home; Walter W. married Grace Fishbeck; they also have one daughter, Julia.
He of whom we write is Democrat in his political predilection. He is Mason and also a member of Odell Post, No. 120
G. A. R., and has held all the offices excepting that of Senior Warden.
He is a member of the Baptist Church and having been elected Deacon twenty years ago has ever since acted in that capacity.
HON. DANIEL W.
DINTURFF. It must be a pleasing thought, that after having supplied hundreds of human beings with the means of supporting life by hard labor and much planning, that one's efforts have been appreciated, so that in the afternoon one can put aside the cares of
the active conflict and retire from the immediate oversight of ones interests, enjoying the fruit of early labor and the consciousness that ones life has not been lived in
vain that in supplying the physical wants no opportunity has been neglected to elevate the higher nature. There is always that beneficent assurance as Meredith expresses it, that "no life can be pure in its purpose or strong in its strife and all life not be purer and stronger thereby."
Mr. Dinturff is a native of Yates County, NY. and a son of Jacob and Rachel (Leddick) Dinturff, natives of Pennsylvania. The former was an extensive farmer in Yates County, N.Y., where
he passed the greater portion of his life and finally died. He held various offices in the township and
stood high in the confidence and esteem of the people. Politically Jacob Dinturff was a Republican, but at that time one had not so much
leisure to attend to the corrupting influences of political life as now.
The original of our sketch was one of twelve children. It was fortunate that his father was a
farmer and raised the products for family consumption upon his own place, otherwise some of the
little ones might have gone hungry. The advantages of an academic education were enjoyed by
our subject and the best of influences were felt in the home circle, where
he remained until twenty-three years of age, at which time he made a radical
change to what was then considered the far West, but to-day being only a twenty-four hours' journey
or but little more from Michigan to any place. He located in Washtenaw County, taking up a farm in Pittsfield Township.
His place embraced two hundred acres of fine land, but for some reason, unknown to the writer, it did not exactly suit its
purchaser, so at the end of a year he sold it and removing to Handy Township, Livingston County,
purchased a farm on section 12. This first purchase comprised eighty acres. Later he added
one hundred acres more and in time forty acres more was added to his estate. This he partly improved. There is upon the place a good
farmhouse, being commodious and comfortable as a dwelling. There are also excellent barns upon the
place. His general attention has been paid to the productiveness of the ground and it has been made
to resemble in the exquisite neatness of its wood lots the richness of verdure of its pasturage and
fields, one of the model farms of old estates.
Mr. Dinturff was a member of the State legislature
for this county in 1872, having held the position for two years. It was during his term of office
that the laws were passed for the incorporation of Fowlerville and he with other members of the
House secured the passage of a bill, annulling the railroad bonds of this county that had not passed
the third hands. Indeed many of the revised laws that look to the bettering of the people in this
locality are due to the foresight and judgment of (782)
our subject. By inheritance and conviction
he of whom we write is an adherent of the Republican platform, having great confidence that its principles, in spite of the machinations of unscrupulous men, will survive the blasts of critical opinion and adverse parties. Socially a Mason, he has attained to a high degree.
Our subject's marriage took place, November 9, 1854, at which time
he was united to Miss Mary M. McMaster, of Potter, N.Y. She is a daughter of David J. and Laura (Mansfield) McMaster, natives of New York State. Having no children of his own Mr. Dinturff has been the foster father of one young girl who has taken the place of a
daughter to him, Ella A. Hatch by name. She is a talented and attractive young lady who is a graduate of the Fowlerville High School. In 1874 our subject left his farming interest and
came to Fowlerville, purchasing a fine residence on the corner of Grand River and Hibbard streets. Representing the best class of people in this district, his home is the meeting-place for the wit and culture of the vicinity. Since giving up the active interest in his agricultural business, the original of our sketch has been engaged in the mercantile business in Fowlerville for three years.
He with his wife is an attendant at the Methodist Episcopal Church, and has been a liberal contributor to the support of the same. He is one of the solid and substantial men of this county. A man of high character,
he prides himself that his word is as good as his bond.
HAYNES. The narrative that relates the life history of our subject is chiefly connected with rural residence and agricultural occupation. It began in a modest little country home in New York State which was
made by his parents--Reuben and Maria (Hance) Haynes, the former a native of one of the Eastern States and a resident of New York for a number of years; there
he died. Mrs. Haynes' father was also a resident of New York. Our subject was one of
five children. He was born Sept. 27, 1825, and at the age of twelve years
he came to Michigan and settled near Adrian, Lenawee County, and six years later came to Ingham County and has ever since made his home in this State with the exception of four years spent in Wisconsin.
When a young man our subject was engaged in work on a farm by the month. His first venture in real estate was in Wisconsin, where
he purchased a farm. This he traded for seventy acres of land and took up seventy acres more from the Government and has since added eighty acres to his purchase, now aggregating two hundred and twenty acres in all. At one time his farm comprised three hundred acres. The tract of which
he is now owner has been cleared and broken and good buildings have been erected thereon.
At the age of twenty-five our subject was married in Ingham County to Miss Sarah Worden,
(webmaster note...looks like a line was left out here, perhaps about her
father?) an early settler of Oakland County where
he died. The union of our subject and his wife has been blest by the advent of
nine children. They are Morris, Antony, Louisa, Lewis, Lydia M., John and two children who died in infancy. The farm whereon
he now resides has been his home for thirty-two years and when he first came here it was as wild as nature would allow. There were many denizens of the forest and our subject, having been a great hunter, has killed many a deer and wild turkey.
During the war he of whom we write was drafted into service,
but hired a substitute and thus escaped the experience that has saddened the life of many a man. He is a farmer who has eagerly embraced every opportunity tending to improvement in the science of agriculture. Although like most men, he is interested in politics,
he is not wedded to party, casting his vote for the man he thinks best qualified for the position regardless of party. Honorable and respected, the confidence that his townsmen have reposed in him has been shown by his election to a number of offices.
He has been Township Clerk of Wisconsin and Director of his school district for a number of years, and has been District Treasurer for six years and is at present the incumbent of that office. Much credit is due our subject for the success that he has made
(783) of his calling, as he began without anything and his property, which is free of incumbrance, has been earned by hardest labor. Our subject drove the second train that ever went through Williamston it being an ox-team and at the time there was no population at all where the present thriving little city of Williamston is found. The trip to mill those days occupied a week and the incidents and hardships of pioneer life are not unknown to him.
BURGESS. The gentleman, who resides on the farm on section 4, Hartland Township, Livingston County, is one of the early settlers of Michigan, coming here 1836 with his parents. The country was little more than a wilderness at that time, and with animals and Indians were much more familiar sights than the face of a white man or woman.
A contemporary tells us of an experience that
he has while out at work in the clearing burning logs. As night came on, the wolves prowled out from the forests, and made a howling, snapping
circle about the young man. They were only deterred from pouncing on him by his throwing fiery bran from the great heap of burning logs, into the midst. The early settlers were ever on the alert for enemies of this nature and doubtless this fact developed in them a prudence, and yet quickness to take advantage of favorable moments that was no small cause of their success.
Our subject is a native of Cayuga County, N.Y.,
born March 26, 1832. He was a son of Seth Burgess, a native of the same State, who with his family
came to Michigan and settled in Independence Township, Oakland County in 1836. Their home
here was a little log hut 12x14 feet in dimensions. Here they lived for two years, at the end of which time they realized the dignity and elegance of
a double log house. They remained in Oakland County until 1856 when they moved to Livingston County and here they have lived ever since. Seth Burgess, our subject's
father, still survives at the
patriarchal age of ninety-four years. He enjoys the distinction of being the oldest man in the
county. Our subject's maternal grandfather was Joseph Whipple, a native of New
Hampshire, who also emigrated to Michigan at an early day, coming here in 1832 at which time
he located forty acres of Government land in Independence Township, Oakland County.
He was a cooper by trade and here found plenty of work among the early settlers, being himself one of the very first to
locate in Oakland County, where he resided until his death which took place in December, 1862.
Our subject's mother was before her marriage a Miss Fannie Whipple, a most honorable name in the early history of Michigan and one having some
brilliant representatives who are living at the present time. She was a native of New Hampshire, and died in Oakland County on the old
home place that her father had taken up from the Government. She was the mother of seven
children, there being four sons and three daughters,
whose names are as follows: Mary Follett, Chester O., Amanda, Simeon D. W., Martin B., Joseph W.
and Martha. The eldest daughter died while in Los Angeles, Cal. Chester resides in Howell,
Livingston County. Amanda is the wife of William Hammond, and resides in Clarkston, Oakland
County, Mich. Simeon lives in Flint. Martin
lives in Holly, Oakland County, and is the owner of one hundred and sixty acres of fine land which
he has under cultivation. Martha is the wife of Sanford Hilderbrant, and is a resident of Hartland
Township. Our subject is the sixth child in order of birth, and the fourth son.
He was a wee toddler when his parents came to this State, not old enough to realize anything but the fun and
novelty of their situation. On the way hither his father carried him on his back eighteen miles, and
his earliest recollection is of their home in the little log house that his grandfather had built in
Independence Township, Oakland County. They had not an over supply of worldly possessions or a filthy lucre, and were obliged to pawn their goods
to get through, but the little log house, though filled almost to overflowing with the grown people
and children, was the abiding place of great hearts that were undaunted by such obstacles as they encountered, and was the scene of the warmest
(784) affection and true content, and although the first winter was memorable because of its severity and the fact that so many were crowded into such a small space, it was brightened by all immense
fireplace, which, however, had but a stick chimney.
The father of our subject set about clearing up
the farm and as the openings widened and the ground was enriched with the charred embers of stumps and logs,
he set out a fine orchard that afterward yielded a rich harvest, although
at that time fruit was a luxury that could be enjoyed by but few. Both the maternal grandparents and our subject's mother passed away
on this place. Mr. Burgess continued to reside with his father until he was twenty-one years of age, at
which time he determined to set out in the world for himself. He had at that time a yoke of steers and twelve shillings in money. The proud possessor of these riches,
he went to Hamburg. His first investment was in forty acres of land, which
he sold and upon which he made $150. He then went back and bought forty acres of the old homestead and remained there for about three years,
during which time
he was engaged in improving the place. In 1855 he came to Hartland Township, and located on section 34, where
he purchased a farm of one hundred and sixty acres, remaining there one year. After that he made several trades, owning at different times here three farms, placing improvements on each and building good houses. Mr. Burgess located where
he now resides in 1869. Here he has a farm of one hundred and
twenty-seven acres, most of which is under cultivation. He erected his present resident in 1877, at a cost of $2,300. It is a fine two-story frame dwelling, substantial and attractive in build and style. He has built good and commodious barns and outhouses on his place and in fact has a first class farm that is free of all incumbrance.
On July 5, 1856, our subject was united in married in Independent Township, Oakland County, to Miss Mary Jacobs, a native of this State, having been born in Genoa Township, Livingston County,
December 28, 1839, where she was reared and educated. They have one son whose name is Melvin J. He was born October 10, 1859, and resides with his parents at home, assisting his father with
conducting the work of the farm. He of whom we write is a Democrat in his political following.
He has been Highway Commissioner and is very well known in this county, being a genial, affable man, whose
interests and sympathies are with his neighbors and fellow men. Our subject is
the owner of some fine stock of registered Jerseys, and has purchased horses in Ohio that are of purest breeding.
He matches teams and sells them in Detroit. He has done a general business in the county and township in threshing, having for years had almost a monopoly of that industry, and having found it to be quite profitable.
He has been the owner of three new threshing machines that were of the latest and most approved style. Our subject was drafted in the late war, but furnished a
substitute at the expenses of $1,000 and also helped clear the town of every call.
SULLIVAN, a representative
farmer and stock-raiser, residing on section 23, Locke Township, Ingham County, was born July 6, 1846, in Ashtabula County, Ohio. His father, James Sullivan, is still living, and is a native of New York, and the mother Nancy A. (Crowell) Sullivan, was born in New England and has now passed from earth.
When only two years of age our subject migrated with his parents to
Ionia County, Mich., whence they came a little later to Ingham County and made their home upon the farm where Charles Sullivan now resides. The
father is now in his seventy-third year and greatly enjoys seeing the improvements which have been made throughout all this region, since the early pioneer days when
he underwent hardships in the primeval forests. Of his six children five are living, namely: Emeline, wife of Gardner Rice; Charles; Alphonzo, Benjamin, and Eva, wife of John A. Cox. The son who has departed this life was William who died while in the service of his country.
The mother ended her earthly career February 24, 1884.
Charles Sullivan had his early training for life in
the woods of Ingham County and his education was obtained in the public schools. He has been a thorough and systematic reader throughout life and has largely broadened his view of men and things, through access to books and papers. His marriage
occurred January 26, 1867, his bride being Eliza Chambers, daughter of George
Chambers, English people who came to this State before the birth of their daughter. Mr. Sullivan owns a fine farm of one hundred and forty acres and his property has been largely gained through his own
industry and good management.
The Methodist Episcopal Church is the religious body with which Mr. and Mrs. Sullivan are actively connected, and the political views of this gentleman ally him with the Republican party. His mother died February 24, 1884,
and his father who is a septuagenarian, is one of the oldest pioneers of Locke Township. The home and the farm of Mr. Sullivan are among the finest in this vicinity and it is the center of much hospitality and social life.