ALEXANDER MONROE. Among the solid
business men of Leroy Township, Ingham County, the judgment of no one is more respected and sought than that of him whose name is at the head of this sketch. Farsighted, discreet, prudent, and with high executive ability,
he is well qualified to take the lead in matters of finance or local
government among his co-laborers. He is a native of Now York State, having been born in Ontario County, July 28, 1825.
He is a son of Lemuel and Martha (Rolin) Monroe. His father was a Revolutionary soldier, being about sixteen years of age when
he joined the army. He was also in the War of 1812, and one of his sons, Archibald Monroe, a half-brother of our subject, gave his life a sacrifice to the freedom of his country
in the battle of Queenstown Heights in which the father also fought. Many of the exclusive four hundred of New York who make much of their ancestry as is now the fashion, have not so
good a claim to the respect of loyal Americans as has he of whom we write, his
father being a twice
loyal servitor of the Continental army. On the paternal side of his house Mr. Monroe is Scotch.
Our subject's sire was three times married and
he was the father of a large family of children, of whom five only now survive. They are: Francis, Elmira, Abigail, James and Alexander.
He of whom we write was reared to manhood in his native county and State. His education was of the most desultory character, having early to give his time and attention to the work of the farm. When only
ten years of age he was bound out to Judge Smith, of Ontario County, N.Y., and remained with him until
he reached years of majority. The slight advantages that he had in an educational way, were supplemented by study in the winter evenings by the light of the open fireplace.
About 1847 the original of our sketch came to Livingston County,
Mich., and resided there a number of years. He then cleared a farm, which
he improved to some extent but gave up in order to remove to Ingham County and in 1859 he settled upon
the place where he at present resides, having transformed it from its original wild state to that of the most finished agricultural work. He was married October 25, 1850, his bride being Charlotte Smith. She bore him two children--Selden and Dwight, both of whom are now deceased. Mrs. Charlotte Monroe departed this life April 7, 1890. For so many years the sympathetic and tender companion of her husband's career, a great void has
been left in his life by her decease.
Mr. Monroe is the proprietor and owner of one hundred acres of fine land that is mostly under cultivation. He has served as Township Commissioner, filling the office to the satisfaction of his constituents. A Republican in his political conviction, our subject has the greatest faith in the future prosperity of
the country under the execution of the laws as enacted by his party.
He is a progressive and public-spirited man, ready and anxious to do all that is for
the advantage of individual or general prosperity in his district. Liberal in his religious views, our subject's wife was during her life a member of the Methodist Protestant
church. Mr. Monroe is a fine type of (786)
the Wolverine pioneer and is greatly respected by
all who know him. We take great pleasure in presenting him in this ALBUM to the notice of many who know and highly regard him.
DR. WILLIAM DUNN
prominent professional man of Lansing, Ingham County, having his office at No.
218 South Washington Street, is a graduate of the Homeopathic Department of the
University of Michigan. He took his diploma in the
Class of '83 and for awhile followed general practice, but now gives his special attention to surgery,
particularly in the line of the treatment of cancers, which he treats both surgically and by medicinal remedies as the case may demand. He has associated with him Mr. J. F. Cooley.
Dr. Cooper was born in Louisville, Ky., November 9, 1859, and is the son of Elijah N. and Ella (Owen) Cooper. When young the parents came to Hillsdale, this State, and his father, who was a physician and surgeon located successively in various parts of the State. The young man decided to follow his father's profession and read medicine with him, taking his lectures at the University of Michigan from which he was graduated as we have before said.
The young doctor located first for general practice at Wayne, this State, and took such cases as came to him, yet all the time pursuing his special studies in surgery and perfecting himself in that branch of the healing art, following up his researches which his special studies at the University had opened up to him. Immediately after his graduation
he had served as assistant to the Chair of Obstetrics and Gynecology and after that went to Wayne. His exceptional advantages had prepared him for his life work and two years later
he removed to Lansing and opened his office here. Before settling down to work he took a vacation and a trip to the South which refreshed and re-invigorated the young
student and prepared him for the hard work to which he had settled for
life. He is having excellent success with his special cases and is building
up a growing practice. His standing in the profession is evinced by his membership in various societies of repute, as
he belongs to the International Hahnemann Society and the American Institute of Homeopathy is well as the State Society.
Dr. E. N. Cooper, the father of our subject, was
born near Dayton, Ohio, and read medicine at Jackson, Mich., taking his degree in Ann Arbor.
He pursued his practice through life and up to the date of his death, which took place in Jackson, in 1880. The mother of our subject died when
he was quite young, and he has only one sister--Kate--wife of Ula Mead, of Battle Creek. Dr. Cooper stands high in the social circles of Lansing, and it is the hope of his friends that before long
he will establish a home here by choosing a companion whose amiable traits and high character will match his own and whose influence will add still more to the high reputation which he bears among his fellow-citizens.
SMALLEY. Among the representative and successful farmers of Handy Township, Livingston County, the name of John W. Smalley may well appear, as his small and well cultivated farm of fifty acres on section 21, bears every mark of the hand of a progressive and systematic farmer.
Mr. Smalley is a Wolverine by birth, having entered this life in Lodi, Washtenaw County, in 1836. His parents grew
up and were married in the Empire State, and came to Michigan in the year of 1835, settling in Washtenaw County. The father, David Smalley here engaged in farming and having a fine tract of one hundred and forty acres carried it on successfully until death ended his labors.
He was an influential man in his township and filled the offices of Supervisor and Treasurer therein with great credit to himself and profit to the citizens of the township. His excellent wife, who bore the
(787) maiden name of Rebecca McDugal, was born in New York and became the mother of four children, George, John, Mary and James. She is still living in Washtenaw County.
The father of our subject was no politician, yet was deeply interested in public affairs and voted the Democratic ticket.
He was a sincere and earnest Christian and a believer in the doctrines of the Seventh Day Baptists. His farming operations were unusually successful and
he became a man of wealth. He accomplished much serious pioneer work and cleared and improved a large tract of land. His father, Henry Smalley was a New Jersey man who came West with his son David and remained with him the remainder of his life. He was keenly interested in polities and was a worker for the Democratic party. His death took place on election day and his last words were "how goes the election?" He had been a Revolutionary soldier and felt a keen interest in the welfare of the country
he had helped to free from the British rule.
The boyhood of John W. Smalley was passed upon the farm in Washtenaw County until he reached the age of fifteen years, and he there took his schooling. He then with his brother John took charge of the old homestead and they worked it together for six years, after which
he came to Handy Township and settled upon eighty acres of land where he now lives. This was in 1857, and since that time he has disposed of some thirty acres of that land. He has cleared off his farm and placed upon it good substantial buildings and other first class improvements.
Upon Mr. Smalley's farm one may always find an excellent grade of cattle and horses. He pays
especial attention to Jersey cattle and his sheep and hogs are well-kept and of good breeds. Various township offices have been given into his
hands and he has executed the duties pertaining to them with judgment and success, so that the residents of the township feel great confidence in his practical ability.
Nothing in the life of Mr. Smalley is more worthy of note than his marriage in 1856, as he was then united with Miss Margaret Boyland, a native of the Keystone State, and the daughter of
Jacob Boyland. To her were granted three children, and two of them are still living. The
oldest son, David W. is unmarried but William H., was some years ago united with Miss Katie Haveland
of losco Township and has two charming children--Guy and Myra. Mrs. Margaret Smalley passed
from earth in 1885 and Mr. Smalley was a second time married. The present Mrs. Smalley bore the
maiden name of Emma Zimmerman and she was a resident of Washtenaw County, Mich., and a
daughter of Frederick Zimmerman, for whom she has named her only child, Frederick. He of whom
we write is interested in all movements pertaining to the welfare of the farming community and is
an active member of the Grange. The Democratic party in its declarations has embodied the political
principles in which Mr. Smalley believes, and he casts his vote for the candidates of that body.
THOMAS WOULDS. Among the self-made
men of Livingston County none deserve greater credit than the subject of this
notice, who is in possession of a comfortable amount of this world's goods, obtained by hard
labor and good management. At the beginning, when he started out in life for himself, he made it a rule to live within his income, and this resolve,
closely followed, has given him an independence than which there is no more pleasant
feeling, in the world. In possession of a fine home and a splendid family, together with the respect of his
fellow-men, he surely has much to make life desirable. His occupation through life has been principally agriculture, and
he has made his own way in the world since he was ten years old.
The parents of our subject, Robert and Elizabeth Woulds, were natives of Lincolnshire, England, where their son Thomas was born November 14, 1826. He was reared on his father's farm, and as the nearest school was three miles distant, his educational advantages were limited, and
he is mainly self-educated. For a short time he lived with an uncle, and at the age of thirteen
he (788) worked out on a farm for £4 per year. When he was of age he entered the railroad employ, and worked on a railroad for nearly two years, thus being enabled to save some money. In the fall of 1852
he embarked for the United States and after a monotonous voyage of six weeks he arrived
at the harbor of New York.
Thence Mr. Woulds proceeded to Pennsylvania where
he worked on a farm in Wayne County. The year 1854 marked his arrival in Michigan when
going to Pontiac he purchased a team and went to Milford. He remained for a time, working for Gov. Bingham on a farm in Green Oak Township, this county. On June 28, 1854, he bought a farm in Brighton Township, on section 15, and removing thereto he commenced the work of improvement. In 1856
he purchased two hundred and forty acres where he now lives, and has since devoted his attention assiduously to clearing and improving the place, embellishing it with a substantial set of farm buildings, and making it
one of the finest estates in the township.
In the fall of 1852, about four weeks before he set sail for America, Mr. Woulds was married to Hannah Abbott, who, like himself, was a native of England. Their married life has been congenial
and they have established a solid reputation among their neighbors for their sincere hospitality and kindly manners. Politically, Mr. Woulds is
a Democrat, although he is by no means an office seeker, preferring the quiet of home life to the excitement of official duties. He now owns one hundred and sixty acres of land, well cultivated and, with its various buildings, comprising one
of the best homesteads in the community.
HOWARD. The main
features of our subject's life are those of many another, having had but few opportunities as a boy. His educational
advantages, though consisting of but three months in each year and such odd times as
he could be spared from the duties of a farm, were improved as far as possible and in later years, possessed of a strong
individuality and perseverance, he, by reading and investigation, so broadened and enlarged his earlier
studies as to become an intelligent student of the topics of the day as well as a wide-awake business
Augustus A. Howard, who has one of the largest
and most popular grocery and crockery houses in the city of Mason, Ingham County,
was born in Perrysburg, Ohio, January 30, 1826, in the early days of the pioneers of the Maumee Valley. He
is the eldest son of Robert A. and Priscilla (Nelsen) Howard, who were
natives of Now York, emigrating to the Buckeye State as early as 1822. Their
son was reared on a farm acquiring the sturdy characteristics of the early settlers, and here, also,
in the immediate neighborhood she who was destined in later years to share with him the burdens
and cares of life was reared. As children and young people they were schoolmates and, when
growing to manhood and womanhood, recognized in each other an affinity and concluded to make
the journey of life together. They were married December 31, 1849, at which time the groom was
about twenty-four years of age. The bride, Sarah Anna Graham, was the daughter of Thomas and
Anna (Norton) Graham, and was born in the State of New York March 23, 1826. Her mother was a
native of Canada, her father's early history being surrounded with a halo of mystery and romance or
even tragedy. As near as his memory would permit, at about eight or nine years of age while with
his younger sister, standing on the dock at his native home either in England or Scotland,
he was induced by the Captain to go on board a vessel lying near at hand. The vessel was soon put to sea bearing the stolen child whose only farewell
was the tears of an astonished and frightened sister remaining on the dock. As the Captain always
treated him very kindly, requiring no work from him and favoring him with undue attention it was
the conclusion of his later years that the abduction was the plan of a step-mother to favor the
property interests of her own children. Missed by his father, the latter wrote
to a brother residing on an island, the name of which has been forgotten, to watch passing vessels, find the boy
(789) and see to his safe return home. He was found, placed in care of a friendly captain homeward bound. The boat was captured by the Algerians and all on board taken prisoners, but before reaching land they were ship-wrecked. The lad was picked up, taken in charge by an English lady on her way to America and soon
landed in New York.
After Mr. Howard's marriage he remained at the old homestead assisting at the farm for about two
years and then launched into the mercantile business at Bryan, Ohio, opening a dry-goods store in partnership with a brother. He was thus occupied for about three years, but through the disastrous influence of what is known as "wildcat speculation" they lost their stock.
He afterward removed to Butler, Ind., in which place he was engaged in various branches of mercantile business for about eight years, sometimes on salary and sometimes in business for himself.
In 1867 our subject removed from Butler to Mason, this State, where he became engaged in general merchandise with J. L. Isherwood, which firm continued for some three years. At the expiration of that time they sold out their stock and good-will to Horatio Pratt and
Mr. Howard remained with him two years. The four succeeding years he spent in the West, nineteen months as sub-agent at Ft. Randall, Dak., serving under his brother who was the United States Indian Agent to the Spotted Tail Sioux; eighteen months on the North Platte, in the vicinity of Ft. Laramie, during the Sitting Bull war and massacre of Gen. Custer and his command, and the balance of the time assisting in the removal of the Ponca Indians from Dakota to Indian Territory.
On his return to the Central States our subject again came to Mason and launched into mercantile business associated with N. A. Dunning. After dissolving this partnership he and his son opened their present business house under the firm name of Howard & Son, in April, 1880. To Mr. and Mrs. Howard were born three children, two of whom are now living. A son, W. E., was born April 11,
1852, and is now equal partner in the business here carried on. He is married, his wife having been in her maiden
days Alice J. Wheelock, born at DePeyster, N.Y., in 1854. Their marriage was celebrated at Parma, Mich., in April, 1880; they have two children--M. Bertha and Frances A. Mr. Howard's youngest child is Mary Priscilla, born in 1860 at Butler, Ind. She was educated at
Mason and after completing the regular course spent four years in teaching. She was married March 5, 1885, to Dr.
S. H. Culver, a graduate of the Regular Department of the University of Michigan, and who has acquired a large practice at Mason.
The original of our sketch is a Republican of the Whig style, and the confidence which
his fellow-townsmen repose in his integrity and honor is shown by the fact that
he has been the incumbent of most important positions in the city, as City
Collector and Treasurer. He, with his wife and daughter, are members of the Presbyterian Church,
his own and his wife's membership dating from 1857. For years he has been prominent in church
work, having been Elder since 1860, and is now Senior Elder in the church at Mason.
SAMUEL SKADAN. It is gratifying to the
historian to recount the experiences of the early pioneers in the Wolverine State, and especially to tell the story of those who are still remaining in our midst, whose life work has extended over most of what has passed in the present century. These plain and simple annals do not sound the trumpet to announce great and world-famous deeds but they recount the story of quiet, unostentatious lives which have been made emphatic by truth and justice, industry and uprightness.
The pioneer whose name appears at the head of this sketch, and who resides on section 13, Ingham Township, Ingham County, was born in Newberg, Orange County, N.Y., November 28, 1808. His honored parents, John and Christian (Jayne )
Skadan, natives of New York and Rhode Island, respectively, were married at Florida, Orange County, N.Y., and removed in 1822 to Cayuga
(790) County, where they settled in Sennett Township, not far from Auburn. Here the father passed away
at the age of twenty-five years, on March 9, 1824, and his widow remained upon the homestead until
she reached the very advanced age of ninety-one years, when her spirit took its flight to its heavenly
home, July 4,1868. Besides his work as a farmer, John Skadan had followed the vocation of a
wheelright. In politics he followed the doctrines of DeWitt Clinton, whose career as Governor of the
Empire State he watched with great pride.
Thirteen children were the number that gathered about the hearthstone in this New York home, and they bore the names of Dency, Robert, William, Mary A., Jane, Fannie, Samuel, Jane, Eliza, Catherine, Charles, John and Edmund. Our subject and his sisters Jane (the younger), and Catherine are the only survivors of this numerous flock. Until
he reached the age of fourteen the boy remained in Newberg and then went with his parents to Sennett, Cayuga County, where
he was reared upon the farm and received a sound common-school education.
He remained at home until he reached the age of twenty-five years, when he married and made a home for himself upon the farm near his parents, until the spring of 1837, when he removed to Coshocton County, Ohio, and there he lived until October, 1840, when he removed to Michigan.
The first home which Mr. Skadan made for himself in this State was situated one-half mile south of the village of Dansville, Ingham County, and there
he partially cleared up a small farm which in 1844 he exchanged for the property where he now
resides, and which has been his home since that time with the exception of four
years, which he spent in Mason, the county seat, at the time when he filled the office of County Treasurer. His first purchase comprised one
hundred and twenty acres and he now has one hundred and seventy. He found this land a wilderness and he cleared about one-half of it in his early life here.
He now has one hundred and forty acres cleared and improved and has been a successful and judicious farmer. His fine farm and good improvements testify to his
skill and industry. He began life with nothing and his fifty-one years of service upon the same
farm have left their mark upon both the community and his own surroundings.
Our subject has been for many years a leading man in his township, being unusually well-read and well-informed and being known far and wide as a judicious and thoughtful man. He is a leader in his party and cast his first Presidential vote for Andrew Jackson, which
he has followed up by a straight Democratic vote ever since. At an early day
he served as Constable in New York, and has been in office most of the time since
he came to came to Michigan. For twenty-five years he has been the Township Supervisor, and in 1848 he was elected Treasurer of Ingham County, and after a service of two years was re-elected in 1850. He served for four years as Coroner of Ingham County, and almost every township office has been his. He was President of the Ingham County Fire Insurance Company for ten years and is still one of its members. He is prominently identified with the order of Free and Accepted Masons in which he has taken the Master's degree.
Miss Irena Sheldon a native of Sennett, Cayuga County, N.Y., became Mrs. Samuel Skadan, January 9, 1832, in her native town. She was born December 15, 1808, and was a daughter of Daniel and Rachel (Sheldon) Sheldon, both natives of New England, who were among the first settlers of Sennett Township, Cayuga County. To Mr. and Mrs. Skadan were born three children, Juliette, Louisa J. and Hiram
N. The mother of these children passed from earth March 8, 1848, and not a member of her father's family is now living.
Mr. Skadan was a second time married, September 28,1848, to Miss Emeline Sherman, of Ingham Township, this county. She was a native of Cayuga County, N.Y., and was born September 26, 1838, being a daughter of Josiah and Ruth (Carr) Sherman, both natives of New York. One child only blessed this
union--John W., and Mrs. Skadan passed from earth March 4, 1850. Mercy C. Atwood was the maiden
name of the present Mrs. Skadan. Her union with our subject was solemnized April 14, 1853, in Ingham Township. She also is a native of Cayuga County, where she was born May 3, 1824, and is a daughter of Zenos and Huldah Atwood, of whom our readers will find further
(791) particulars in the life sketch of M. M. Atwood, which is to be found elsewhere in this volume. This union has been blessed by the birth of three children, Floyd C., Samuel F. and Jennie I.
HANSEN. The city of Lansing is well provided with pharmacies, ranging in character from the dusty, mysterious looking bottles that are arrayed along the shelves and give the small interiors a close and Eastern odor, to the handsome stores with great plate glass windows in which are displayed in a most fascinating order the choicest products, not only of the chemist and pharmacist, but of the
manufacturer and from the sea-beautiful sponges, brushes, delicately perfumed powder, toilet articles of all descriptions attract the attention and invite the purchaser. Then there is the soda water fountain that ever present and necessary accessory to
at druggist's outfit and behind, stowed away in mysterious corners as well as displayed in fascinating cut-glass bottles are cordials and simples and compounds from which the most skilled medical practitioner can have his prescriptions filled. Such a place is the establishment of the gentleman whose
name is at the head of this sketch, and whose portrait appears on the opposite page.
(Webmaster's note: Again, although it states there was an image of
this gentleman, for whatever reason, none appeared in the original book
Mr. Hansen is a German by birth and ancestry, having been born in the city of Hanover, Germany, April 11, 1860.
His father was William Hansen, a native of the same place, and his paternal grandfather was Gottlieb W. Hansen, who was born in Schleswig, and held the office of Mayor of his city in Germany, under Frederick William during the War of 1812. He was in the battle of Waterloo and did good service. For twenty-eight years
he was connected with the military service in Germany. Eight years prior to his decease
he retired from active service and was the recipient of a pension. His death took place at his headquarters in Hanover. His family was of Danish descent.
Our subject's father was a sail-cloth manufacturer in the city of Hanover. Later, in 1870,
he organized a large company for the manufacture of sail-cloth by machinery. The firm was chartered
under the name of the Hanover Sail & Sock Manufacturing Company, and of this
he was Secretary until about 1877, at which time he sold his interest. His death occurred in 1882, when
he was sixty-four years of age. Personally, he was of magnificent physique, being finely proportioned and muscular, although light and active. He was a graduate of the Royal Gymnasium, and a man of superior intelligence and education. After leaving the gymnasium he entered the Business College. For the greater portion of his life he was identified with the Lutheran Church work.
Our subject's mother was before her marriage Miss Adelheid Hahn, and was born in Claustahal in the Hartz Mountains. She was a daughter of Col. J. W. Hahn, a native of the same place. He was an assistant superintendent of the Claustahal mines and was a practical miner, having also been a graduate of the Claustahal Academy of Mining. He ranked as Colonel in the military department. When Hanover was taken by the Germans, in 1866, Col. Hahn was put on a pension. He died in Hanover, having served in the German Army
as a Captain.
Three children were born to the parents of our subject. Albert is a Lieutenant in the German Navy, now stationed at Keihl; Oscar, a twin brother of our subject, is a graduate of
the Gottingen Academy. He is now an actor, devoting himself
to the delineation of tragedy and has acquired a high reputation in the chosen art. Our subject, the youngest child, was reared in Hanover and graduated from the Royal Gymnasium, in 1879, when nineteen years of age. He then opened a drug
house in Hanover, and was engaged in the business there for four years. In 1882, he entered the University
at Heidleburg, and was a student there for one year, enjoying all the advantages offered in that historic old university city.
In 1883, Mr. Hansen left his native land and came to America, setting sail from Bremen, November 22, on the steamer "Sailer." There was a stormy trip which lasted twelve days, and the port of New York was hailed with pleasure. After
(792) landing in this country, our subject made a trip through New York and then came on to Lansing,
where he was in the employ of Dr. Hahn, an uncle on the maternal side.
He continued with him in the drug business for one year and the next year was with Northrop & Robertson of North
Lansing. In 1885 he was registered as a pharmacist, after which he went back to Mr. Hahn
remaining with him for one year, the following year being again in the employ of Northrop &
In May, 1887, Mr. Hansen went to Europe, setting out on his trans-Atlantic trip from Quebec,
taking the Allen line of steamers to Liverpool. After a leisurely trip through England
he crossed through Holland and Belgium. then proceeded through France, after which
he went to his home in Germany and there remained for two months. He then went to Moscow, Russia, where his brother had a fourteen days' engagement in the theatre.
Thence he went to St. Petersburg with him, and from there he returned to Germany and remained
one month, returning to America through Austria, Bohemia, through Switzerland to the borders of
Italy, and September 22, 1887, left Bremen for Baltimore, and on his way to Lansing took in
Washington and cities in Maryland, Virginia, Ohio and Michigan. Mr. Hensen speaks German,
English and French fluently and is thoroughly conversant with the manners and customs of these various peoples at the present day.
After he returned from Europe our subject, served as a clerk in the drug Store for a short time, but in May, 1889, purchased the stock of drugs from Dr. Hahn and continues to be his
successor. He has refitted the store and increased the stock and at
the present time is the proprietor of one of the finest pharmacies in the city. As would be expected, Mr. Hanson's sympathies and interests are closely connected with the Michigan
Staats Zeitung, being a stockholder in the concern.
He is a member of the company owning the patent Wright on the Rochester Automatic Lighting
Socially our subject is connected with several societies.
He is a member of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, the Knights of Pythias, and
the Knights of Honor, and is also an active member of the German Arbieter Society. In his
political following he is a Democrat. Although a young man and a foreigner, Mr. Hensen has already made himself felt in the community as being a person of sterling worth and high intellectual attainments.
He is popular and much liked by all who have the pleasure of knowing him. His place of business Is known as the Lion Pharmacy, so called because of his sign which is a large lion rampant.
DART, the former popular and
efficient Sheriff of Ingham County, Mich., and a resident of Webberville, is a
St. Lawrence County, N.Y., where he was born March 9, 1835. His parents, Alfred and Jane
(Wright) Dart, were both natives of New York and his grandfather Dart was a soldier in the War of
1812. Our subject was reared in his native county until he reached the age of eighteen and received
a good education which has aided him to be well informed upon all general topics. Most of his youth was spent upon the farm although
he was engaged at various times in clerking in a store. At the age of eighteen he learned the millwright trade in McKean County, Pa., and followed that business for several years, after which he took up
Iumbering for quite awhile.
In 1856 the young man came to Ingham County, Mich., and for seven years followed the lumber business in Lansing, after which
he located in Webberville and was there elected Sheriff of Ingham County in the fall of 1877. He filled this office
for two terms with credit to himself and his constituents and then returned from the county seat to Webberville in 1881 and has since made that his home. He is now engaged in the manufacture of lumber and staves and for awhile was in the mercantile business.
The marriage of our subject, which occurred August 11, 1855, brought to his home Orpha P. Fisher, who was born October 10, 1839, in McKean County, Pa., a daughter of William R. and Briceus
(793) (Farr) Fisher. Her parents were from Vermont and Massachusetts, respectively, and her
grandfather Fisher was one of the heroes of 1812. Before her marriage she had spent considerable time in teaching. To her have been born four children: Nellie
M., deceased; Gertrude B., wife of Dr. A. B. Campbell, of Mason, Mich.; Rollin C. and Alfred R.
Mr. Dart is identified with the Independent Order of Odd Fellows and the Masonic society at Lansing, and Knights Templar, and also with the Knights of Honor at Howell. In his political views and actions he affiliates with the Republican party and is a wide awake and public-spirited man. His excellent farm of one hundred acres is well cultivated and in a
very productive condition. For nine years out of the last ten he has served as President of the Village Council of Webberville and is also a member of the School Board.
He has frequently been a delegate from Leroy Township to the State and county conventions of the Republican party and is a leader of thought and action in that party as well as in social life.
JOSEPH A. RUSSELL, one of the old settlers and substantial farmers of Cohoctah Township, Livingston County, was born in the town of Westmoreland, Oneida County, N.Y., October 22, 1829. His worthy parents were John and Jerusha (Adams) Russell. The
grandfather, Nathaniel Russell, was a farmer and a native of Maine, who reared five sons and six daughters, of whom three became pioneer settlers in New York. Our subject's
father was born in Oxford County, Me., and became a wagon-maker. While still a young man he
came to Troy, N.Y., where he married, after which he made his home in Oneida County, whence
he removed to Bridgeport, Madison County, and came to Michigan in July, 1844.
John Russell rented a farm in Cohoctah Township for four years and later purchased one hundred acres on section 27, and proceeded to improve it. In the course of his life he increased his estate five fold and at the time of his death left a
farm of one hundred acres. Both he and his good wife were active members in the
Methodist Episcopal Church and in his political views he was in accord with the Democratic party. He died in June, 1860, being then sixty years old. Only two
children were born to this worthy couple, and the only brother of our subject whose
name was Judson, died at the age of twenty-two. The mother of our subject was born in
Madison County, N.Y., and was the daughter of Joseph and Mary
(Trusdell) Adams, natives of New York, who had a family of seven children.
The district school furnished all the education which was offered to Joseph Russell, and although he had not a liberal
schooling, he has made such use of the avenues of information open to all that
he is well-informed on general topics. He has had his way to make in life since he was fifteen years old, when
he began working in the fisheries at Saginaw, beginning work at eighteen dollars per
month. He assisted in clearing and purchasing the farm which his father bought and
he now owns five hundred and fifty acres, most of which is the result of his own and his father's unflagging industry.
He is identified with the order of Masonry in which he is a prominent member.
Joseph Russell was married in October, 1857, to Harriet Fisher, who was born in Lyons, Oakland County, Mich., December 16, 1838, and is a daughter of
Michael and Polly (Buel) Fisher, of Howell. Nine children were born to this worthy pair, namely Albert, who died in infancy; Burr, who died at the age of two years; Jennie, who died at the age of ten months; Frank H.; Lenna A., who died when eighteen years old; Mollie E. and Maggie
B. (twins); Joanna, who died in infancy; Wheeler A. and Minnie O. Mollie is now the wife of Fred Chase. For many years our subject has been Class-Leader in the Methodist Episcopal Church and his wife is also an active worker therein.
Mr. and Mrs. Fisher, the parents of Mrs. Russell, came to Michigan from New York about 1835 and made their first home in Oakland County, but came to Cohoctah in 1843, where they resided until the death of Mr. Fisher. They had four sons and
(794) four daughters. Henry and Joseph served in the army during the Civil War and the latter was taken prisoner and was never heard of again. Mr. Russell is a liberal and broad-minded man, a good citizen and neighbor, and
he inherits his best qualities from a good old family.
MYRON B. CARPENTER, one of the old
settlers of Lansing, Ingham County, came this city in 1854. He was born in Cattaraugus County, N.Y., February 2, 1832, and is a son of Seymour and Jane (Brown) Carpenter, the father being a native of New Hampshire and the mother of Vermont. Later they removed to Orleans County where
they lived until they came West, following their son here in 1855. They bought property six miles south of Lansing, which they cleared and cultivated and here made their home until their death, the father at the age of eighty-eight and the mother at the age of eighty. They left a family of four sons and two daughters, namely: our subject, Henry B., Dudley G., James P., Olivia J., and Mrs. M. McLaren, of Muskegon.
Our subject finished his school days in Orleans County, N.Y., at the public school and Albion Academy. After coming West
he carried on a farm for three years then returned to New York and studied theology with the Rev. W.
B. Cook, of Churchville, and was fellowshipped at the Chautauqua Association in 1860.
He cast his vote for Abraham Lincoln for President of the United States and the next day removed to Bloomfield where
he took charge of his first parish and remained until 1862, when he returned to Lansing and
shortly after settled at Concord, Jackson County, this State, where he remained for two years, and then went to Barry County, where for two years
he was engaged in missionary work. After this he again sought secular employment going into the abstract office and the office of Registrar of Deeds
Eight months later Mr. Carpenter returned to Lansing and entered the Auditor General's office
where he remained as clerk until December 31, 1890, notwithstanding all the changes of
administration. He has never completely severed his connection with the ministry but now only attends funerals and discharges ministerial duties on special occasions. When he first came here he found that there were no religious services being carried on and
he did two years' free work and re-organized the society of which he has been a Trustee ever since, and President of the Board most of the time.
For six years be has been an Alderman and for
four years a member of the Board of Education. He belongs to the Masonic order and was at one
time a member of the Odd Fellows order, and now belongs to the Industrial society. Upon March 29, 1857 he was united in marriage with Miss Mary
T. Cook, daughter of the Rev. W. B. Cook of Churchville, N.Y., and they have three children,
WiIliam S., Grace L., and M. Harry.
HUGH SWARTHOUT is one of the most successful farmers in Meridian Township, Ingham County.
He owns a very attractive and productive tract on sections 1 and 2, of the above mentioned township. The family of which
Mr. Swarthout is a worthy representative is of Dutch descent, his great-grandfather having come from Holland in an early day. The subject of our sketch was born in Ovid, Seneca County, N.Y., April 11, 1829. His father, William Swarthout, was a native of Orange County, N.Y., in which place
he was born in 1796.
When Hugh Swarthout was six years old his father moved into Clinton County, this State, and
settled in Victor Township in 1837. At that time there were only two other houses in the county,
the families being those of Scott and Compau, the first named gentleman owning the land
whereon DeWitt is now located. He did not live here long, but moved into another township. In 1838
he bought a three hundred and twenty acre tract of land of William Thompson, a brother-in-law
(795) of ex-Governor Marcy, of New York, and it former neighbor of our subject's father in the Empire State. This tract was cleared
up and is now one of the most valuable farms in Clinton County. The old gentleman died in his
eighty-second year. The maiden name of his wife and of our subject's mother was Betsy Willett, who was born in Pennsylvania in 1798. She died in Clinton County, this State, in
The first twenty-three years of our subject's life were spent at home in doing farm work. His education was gained in the district schools of the vicinity, save one winter, which was spent in the Owosso school. After his twenty-third year
he bought a farm of one hundred and sixty acres in Victor Township, where he spent fifteen years, and then purchased the adjoining tract in Shiawassee County, comprising one hundred and twenty-three acres, where he remained until 1884.
Mr. Swarthout was married January 4, 1852, to Miss Maria Johnson, of Shiawassee County. She was a teacher before her marriage, and her experience in this direction, covering several years, was
most happy. She not only gained the love of her pupils, but was a fine disciplinarian, and had the faculty of arousing the perceptions of her pupils. Four children were born to our subject and his wife. They are Sarah, who was born March 16, 1854; she is still at home; Carrie, born March 29, 1863, was a student at the Lansing High School for one year, and is now engaged as a clerk in a store in Laingsburg; William B., born November 29, 1865, married Clara North, a daughter of the Rev. Arthur North;
he is a farmer and merchant in South Dakota; Belle, born April 27, 1867, is still at home;
she received her education at Laingsburg and at the State Normal at Ypsilanti. Mrs. Swarthout died in 1870, and her family will never cease to feel
the void left by her decease. The family are all members of the Methodist Episcopal Church, and are attendants at Okemos.
Politically, Mr. Swarthout is a Republican. He is not, however, so wedded to party but that
he believes the "best man" is the one for local office. While living in Clinton County
he was Highway Commissioner of his township, and Director of his school district for twenty years. Our subject's
grandfather Ralph Swarthout, was a native of Orange County, N.Y. When he was eighteen years old
he entered the Continental Army during the Revolution, and was engaged in a military way for two years.
He served as teamster in Washington's army, and one winter he took several of the General's horses to his New York home and cared for them until the next spring.
The gentleman of whom we write is a farmer of more than average intelligence, and his family is numbered among the best in Meridian.