PROF. WILLIAM F.
DURAND was born in Beacon Falls, Conn., March 5, 1859. His father, William L. Durand, was a native of
Derby, Conn., and was born in 1814. His mother's maiden name was Miss Ruth
Coe, a native of Bethany, Conn., and there born in 1816. Prof. Durand belongs to a family whose calling has been for many years that of an agriculturist, his father having been a farmer, as was also his grandfather, David Durand. One who has been to France will not fail to recognize the French origin of the family from its name, which is very frequently met with in that country, and, indeed, some five or six generations ago a number of the Durand family came from "La Belle France," one branch settling in Connecticut, from which sprang the subject of our sketch.
The original of our sketch removed to Derby, Conn., when one year old and there lived until
he was seventeen years of age, attending the district school until he was fourteen years of age and then entering the Birmingham High School, where
he remained three years. After that he entered the United States Naval Academy at Annapolis, Md., entering the Academy after a rigid
examination. Remaining in this institution for four years, he graduated with
the class of 1880, No. 2 in his class, and almost immediately afterward went on a three years' cruise in the
North Atlantic and Central American waters, at the end of which time he was
(796) ordered to duty in the Engineering Bureau of the Navy Department, where he spent three months.
After completing the requirements of the commission above mentioned, our subject was ordered to Lafayette College, Pa., on special duty as Assistant Professor of Mathematics and Steam Engineering.
He was retained in this capacity for a period of two years. While at this institute
he took the degree of Doctor of Philosophy, having pursued a course of study while in the discharge of his professional duties. The subject of his thesis was "Graphical Methods of Treating the Mathematical Theory of Light." He was soon after ordered to special duty at the Morgan Iron Works for
constructing engines for naval ships. This experience lasted for three months, at the end of which time
he was again ordered to sea on a cruise of a year's duration.
At the termination of the last-mentioned cruise Prof. Durand was ordered to special duty at the Worcester Polytechnic Institute, of Worcester, Mass., there being Assistant Professor of Mechanics and Engineering. He was at Worcester for three months and was then offered the position of Professor of Mechanics and Superintendent of Shops in the Michigan Agricultural College, located at Lansing. This he accepted and resigned his position in the Navy.
Our subject was very happily married October 23, 1883, to Miss Charlotte Kneen, of Shelton, Conn., a daughter of Thomas Kneen, a manufacturer in that place. From this union one child has been born, William L. Durand, Jr., a bright lad now six years old. Prof. Durand has been connected with the Michigan Agricultural College for
four years. During this time his department has attained an enviable position. The prosperity of the department is all that could be desired and it is now the cause of deep regret among the students and friends of the college that the institution is to lose his further service. He has but lately resigned in order to accept a more desirable position at Cornell University, Ithaca, N. Y., as Professor of Marine Engineering and Naval Architecture, and will take up his new duties during the coming fall.
A thoroughly practical man, an enthusiastic teacher and worker, a perfect gentleman in all his
relations, it is not surprising that Prof. Durand has become so popular with the students and graduates of the college.
He has contributed frequently to the best class of technical and scientific journals, and as
he possesses superior talents in his chosen field of labor, there is no doubt that the scientific world will bear more of him in the future.
He has the best wishes of his friends and students in going to the new position which
he has accepted.
HARDY. The Green Mountain State has always been noted for turning out splendid specimens of men, men whose
hardy, physical characteristics correspond to their sterling worth, patient industry and keen insight
into business. Such men have proved of greatest value in the enterprises of the newer States, where
they were sorely needed, and where their work and their characters have pushed forward wonderfully
the development of these more modern commonwealths.
Among these sons of Vermont we may mention Mr. Hardy, whose beautiful home is located on sections 23 and 26, Osceola Township, Livingston County, and whose birth took place in Sudbury, Rutland County, Vt., April 2, 1817. His father, Ephraim Hardy, was born in Massachusetts, where he was a farmer by occupation, but removed when a young man to Vermont and was there united in marriage, in 1807, with Clarissa Jennings, a native of Rutland County. This lady had been left an orphan when a little child and had her training and education under the kind hand of an uncle, Ira Jennings. The first married home of this couple was in Sudbury Township, Rutland County, and there they remained until 1835, when they made Michigan their final home, locating in Oceola Township, this county. In 1838 the father passed from earth upon the place where our subject now resides.
He was a strong anti-Mason after the scandal connected with the disappearance of Mr. Morgan. Two daughters and four sons made up the number of his children, of whom our
(797) subject is the only one now living, and all but or are buried in the Oceola cemetery. The family
is of English descent.
Having been reared in his father's home he received
his early education in Sudbury Township Rutland County, Vt., and remained at home until eighteen years of age, assisting in clearing up the
place. He came with his father to Michigan in 1835 and helped to cut the logs and erect the into a log house for the family. This residence, which measured only 18x24 feet on the ground, was considered a valuable acquisition to the township, as there were then but three families residing within its bounds.
Mr. Hardy has been three times married, his first union being with Harriet Haines and the day of their marriage being December 22, 1841. She was the mother of seven children, of whom only two are now living, the eldest being Ephraim Wilson who was born in Oceola Township, February 2, 1848, and is now in partnership with his father upon the farm and serving as Supervisor of the Township. He married in March, 1870, Alta Crittenden and their four children are: Royal C., Howard E., Lena B. and Velna A.; the other child of this marriage is Clarissa, now the wife of Daniel Kelley, residing in Livingston County. He mother passed from earth in 1859.
The second marriage of our subject was with Rebecca Haines, the widow of Mr.
Hardy's brother. She died January 25, 1876, and Mr. Hardy was again married in 1878 to Mrs. Esther P. Murray, widow of James P. Murray. Her married life extended over ten years, as she died March 11, 1888. After Mr.
Hardy's first marriage
he made his home in a little log house which stood across the road front his present residence. At one time he
owned nearly seven hundred acres of land in Oceola Township, but he has divided
up much of it among his children. He and his son now have four hundred and forty-two acres of finely improved land comprising a stock-farm which is known as the Fairview Stock Farm. Upon this place there are eleven hay and grain barns, besides tool-houses, stock barns and
all things necessary to making up a first class farm.
It was in 1838 that Mr. Hardy began dealing and feeding fine wool sheep, beginning with a herd of the
best grade of sheep obtainable at that time. With very little exception
he has bred nothing but the Spanish Merinoes and some times has as many is seven hundred in his flock. Premiums have often been awarded to his sheep wherever they are exhibited. In 1874
he began dealing in Shorthorn cattle and has some very fine specimens upon his place.
Since 1854 this gentleman has been a stanch Republican and has held offices in both township and county. In 1861
he was appointed Postmaster at Oceola Center, which office he held for twenty-six and one-half years. For many years he was Commissioner of Highways and assisted in laying out most of the roads in this township. He was one of the original Board of Directors of the Livingston County Agricultural Society, and for many years was President of the same. He was
also one of the organizers of the Livingston County Mutual Fire Insurance Company, and for eight years was its President. His long residence in the county has brought him prominently into connection with every movement which has proved of value to the people of this region, and as his father's house was one of the first erected in the township, his acquaintance with the people is a broad one and has existed for many years.
DANIEL R. SHERMAN, M.
D. is one of the prominent physicians and surgeons of Lansing, Ingham County, where
he has practiced since April 15, 1880, and is now one of the most popular practitioners in the city. Having all
he could do with office practice in the beginning of 1889, he ceased riding and now attends only to those patients who come to him. His office is located in the principal part of the business portion of the city, at 105 Ottawa Street, where
he has been for nine years. His residence is located at 312 Seymour Street, and is a place worthy of its location, which is in the finest part of the city. Dr. Sherman was born in Wayne County, N.Y., July
(798) 28, 1843, and is a son of Gilbert and Hannah M. (Rowley) Sherman. When their son was but seven years old, the parents removed to Noble County, Indiana. The father was a farmer and millwright by trade and was so occupied in Indiana. Our subject there received his literary education, and when a mere boy in years, enlisted in the First Illinois Artillery in the War of the Rebellion. His enlistment was made November 8, 1861, at Ft. Holt, Ky., and he was sent to join the army of the Cumberland, which was at that time stationed at Ft. Henry, where he, with his regiment was engaged in battle, also at Ft. Donaldson, and was surrounded by the terrible carnage of battle at Shiloh, Corinth, Vicksburg and Atlanta, names that are all
synonymous with that which is most terrible in warfare. He was also present at the seige of Atlanta.
Discharged at the expiration of his time, having served for three years, Mr. Sherman returned to Noble County, where his parents still lived, and engaged in farming. In 1867 the parents accompanied our subject to Lawrence County, Mo., where
the young man engaged in milling. Here the mother died. The father still lives, his residence being in Coldwater, Mich. He has attained the almost
patriarchal age of seventy-eight years. Our subject successfully pursued the calling of milling until 1871, when he sold out and went to Coldwater, Mich., where
he engaged in the grocery business for one year. In 1873, he built what is known as the Brutus House, midway between Petoskey and Sheboygan, and established the
post-office at Brutus, being appointed the first Postmaster of that place, his installation taking place under President Hayes, and this position
he continued to hold as long as he remained there. He also built the mill at Constantine in 1876 for Lantz Brown.
Dr. Sherman had early acquired a predilection for the profession of medicine and during the years in which he was actively engaged in business life,
he did not lose sight of his resolution to some day be a physician and was constantly engaged in the reading of medical works, so that he had a very good knowledge of his profession, even before taking the college course.
He went to Chicago to begin his practice, opening an office at 170 State
Street, shortly afterward commencing to attend lectures at the Bennett Medical College.
He pursued his course to such purpose that he graduated with honors in the class of 1880, and then returned to this city to pursue the practice of his profession.
Our subject was first married in Noble County, Ind. to Sarah Koontz, of Kendallville, Ind. At her death she left three children to mourn their motherless state. Julia is now the wife of George Barnes. Gilbert L. is a student at Worcester, Ohio, where
he is preparing for the ministry. Franklin J. is occupied as a clerk in a grocery. Dr. Sherman was a second time married, his bride being Emily J. Currier, of Coldwater.
With her he lived most happily, she adding to his domestic life all that he finds wanting in his professional career. Socially our subject has many
demands upon his time.
He is a member of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, belongs to the Grand Army of the Republic, and is a Knight of Labor, in
which he was a Master Workman. In the first named order
he was the first Noble Grand of Bronson and also Petoskey Lodge. He is now connected with the State Eclectic Medical Society, and is a broad and progressive man in his theories regarding the healing art.
NEAL, a farmer of Leroy Township, Ingham County, is a native of Onondaga County, N.Y., and was born February 13, 1825. He is a son of James and Fannie (Cogswell) Neal, and was reared to manhood in his native county, and early engaged in farming. A common-school education was all that was granted him and he is mainly self educated. His first marriage took place October 17, 1844, in New York, his bride being Dorpha Brownell. Four of his children are now living, namely: Rufus M.; Mary, Mrs. Gorsline; Augusta, deceased; Betsey, wife of Hiram Rix, Jr.; and Frances, Mrs. Crandall. After the death of their mother our subject was married, January 2, 1881, to Mrs. Eliza
Wade, of Gratiot County, this State.
Mr. Neal emigrated in 1852 to Ingham County, (799)
Mich., and there settled in Leroy Township.
He enlisted August 20, 1862, in Company E, Seventh Michigan Cavalry, being under the command of
Gen. Custer. He saw the smoke of battle in the conflicts of Gettysburg, the Wilderness, Spottsylvania Court I-louse, Harper's Ferry and Five Points, and was present at the surrender of Gen. Lee. After receiving his honorable discharge December 15, 1865,
he returned to Michigan and soon settled on the farm upon which he now lives in Leroy Township, where he owns eighty acres of land.
This public-spirited gentleman has served as Treasurer of Leroy Township for two years and is a Republican in politics. His war record entitles him to receive a pension and the Government pays him $8 per month. After Lee's surrender he was one of those who were sent to the Rocky Mountain region and did some desperate fighting with
the Indians in Colorado. His record, both civil and military is, replete with honor, and his success is well deserved.
JOHN HIMMELBERGER is a farmer and stock-raiser residing
on section 3, Delhi Township, Ingham County, where he owns one hundred acres of good land. He works altogether about two hundred acres, part of which is in another township. Mr. Himmelberger was born in Pennsylvania, February 1, 1850.
He is a son of Moses and Rebecca (Clapp) Himmelberger, natives of Berks County, Pa. When our subject was about five years old his parents removed to Champaign County, Ohio, and there lived for about four years. Thence they removed to Sandusky County, same State, and then removed to Michigan in 1866, purchasing the land whereon our subject now lives. He was then about sixteen years of age.
Mr. Himmelberger was debarred the privileges of school advantages after coming to Michigan, but had already laid the foundation of a good education, to which
he has added by systematic reading since. He was married December 25, 1871, to Miss Maria Wiegman, a daughter of Henry and Margaret (Diehl) Wiegman, natives of Germany. Our subject's wife was born January
25, 1850, in Sandusky, Ohio. Her parents, who reside near her came to Michigan in 1864. They now, live on sections 9 and 4, where
the father purchased one hundred and, sixty acres of land.
After Mr. Himmelberger's marriage the couple lived in Alaiedon Township, some sixteen years and there his children, five in number, were all born. They are by name Emanuel J., born
January 24, 1872; William A., November 12, 1875; Mary A., February 25, 1880; Bertha A., January 27, 1883, and Levi R., January 19, 1888. Our subject has thus far given his children good educational advantages and intends to give to each as much as he or she will take.
The original of our sketch is a Democrat in his political following. He cast his first vote for Horace Greeley. He has been Highway Commissioner and Treasurer in Alaiedon Township for a number of years, and in his present location,
he has been Supervisor, first by appointment and then by election.
Mr. Himmelberger's land is all in a state of excellent cultivation. He is an active, wide-awake citizen and both
he and his wife are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church, in which
he is a Steward. He takes an active interest in the development of the best features of the
REV. WINFIELD S. SLY
is the founder and general manager of the Rocky Beach Benevolent Association, which institution
was organized for the purpose of rescuing and placing orphaned and indigent children in
private homes. This society was incorporated under the laws of the State of Michigan in 1888, with our subject, a resident
of Lansing, Mich., is President. Dr. Slenon, of Jackson, was Vice-President, and W. S. Moore, also of Jackson, second
Vice-President. Its Secretary, Mr. J. W. (800)
Graham, is also a resident of this city. Its Treasurer, Mr. E.
B. Carrier, too lives in Lansing.
The Association of which our subject is President is supported by free-will offerings, the children being maintained in private homes in Lansing until permanent homes are secured for them. Buildings are being erected at the present time on ground deeded the Association, and which are
located on the south shore of Little Traverse Bay. Children fourteen years old or under are taken under the care of the Association, and so large has the work become that they now have thirty or forty applications for children in excess of those that
are on hand. There is a local Superintendent and Advisory Board in every rural school district and in every ward of large cities and in each town and village who receive or collect supplies and
money and ascertain what homes or families desire to adopt children, the report being made to the General Manager. The institution is designedly religious but not sectarian.
The Benevolent Association has received the greatest
encouragement in having offers of homes from the best and most moral class of people. Especial attention is given to the class of applicants
and to the homes in which the children are placed. The scope of the work is not limited to the State, the Association having offerings and applications from almost every State and Territory in the Union and also from Canada and Mexico.
The organ of the association is The Orphan's Voice. It is a folio magazine published monthly and has at the present time a circulation of ten thousand. It is edited by the Rev. W. S. Sly, whose heart is thoroughly in his work. Mr. Sly was born in Lockport, Ill., August 21, 1848. He is the son of Senator Sly. He received his education at the
Northwestern University and studied at the Garrett Biblical Institute.
He was ordained in 1869, his first charge being at Kinmundy. He also served as pastor at Alton, Jackson and Lansing. His attention is now exclusively occupied in evangelistic work and in the orphan's mission.
Our subject enlisted when fifteen years of age in Company
H, One Hundred and Thirty-second Illinois Infantry. He was sent to the front and joined the Army of the Cumberland, being assigned to garrison duty in Tennessee. He remained with the army until the close of the war. Mr. Sly married Miss Maggie W. Woolworth, an orphan child, who was adopted from the American Female Guardian Society of New York City by Mr. and Mrs. Paris Woolworth of Plainfield,
Ill. She was reared by them as their own and from her our subject received the first stimulus to the work in which
he is now engaged, and she has been his able assistant. They have one daughter, Fanny
W., who is now twelve years old.
JAMES LASHER. Among the enterprising young farmers of Howell Township, Livingston County, we are pleased to present a brief record of the life of James Lasher, who is a native of the Empire State, as he was born July 10, 1850, in Rensselaer County. His immediate progenitors were John and Maria (LaGrange) Lasher, both of them New Yorkers.
The father of our subject was a farmer in the East and after
he came to Michigan in 1858 made his home upon the farm where his son now resides and during his lifetime worked it on shares. He passed away January 5, 1861, and his bereaved helpmate survived him many years, passing to her reward January 24, 1890.
The paternal grandparent of James Lasher bore the name of John and was a farmer by occupation in New York, where he passed his whole life. He had a numerous family whom
he trained up to habits of industry, and into whose minds he instilled the principles of integrity and devotion to duty which had guided him through life. The maternal grandfather, James LaGrange, was also a New York farmer and like the ancestor on the other side, had a large and flourishing family. Of the eight children who were granted to the parents of our subject, five are now living, namely: Charles, Mary, (Mrs. Fields), Elizabeth (Mrs. Holt), Lottie (Mrs. Reynolds), and our subject. The declarations of the Republican party embody the political views of Mr. John Lasher, and in the progress of his party
(801) he was truly interested although he devoted little time to public affairs. He was, however, active in church work, being Superintendent of the Sunday school and Class-Leader in the Methodist Episcopal Church of which
he and his wife were members.
The free and happy life of a farmer's boy was granted to James Lasher in his early years, and he received thorough drill in the duties which belonged to that walk of life. His education was obtained in the district schools of Howell Township, and he availed himself well of the opportunities there afforded and thus secured a good common sense foundation for future usefulness. He remained at home until after his father's death and was married in 1881 to Miss Celicia Hand, daughter of Jerome W. and Elma (Coonradt)
Hand, both of whom were natives of New York. Further details in regard to the family history of Mrs. Lasher's parents will be found in the sketch of Jerome W. Hand upon another page of this volume.
Three lovely children have blessed this union Orel, Claud and Neva. A fine farm of one hundred and forty acres employs the efforts and enterprise of Mr. Lasher, and be devotes much attention to fine grade cattle, especially horses and sheep. He has a fine orchard, and excellent buildings adorn his farm. He is considered a leading member of the Republican party in his neighborhood and is in every way looked upon as one of the prominent farmers of Howell Township.
J. HENRY MOORES is one of the prominent older residents of the city of Lansing having located here in July, 1865. His parents, Robert Baxter and Caroline (Ball) Moores, were natives of Newark, N.J., where they were married in 1831, and two years later
removed to a farm near Croton, Licking County, Ohio where the subject of this sketch was born April 2, 1846, and was the youngest of seven children. His father died in 1848, but the mother lived to enjoy her children's society until January 1, 1891 dying at the age of eighty-seven years.
When but sixteen years old Henry commenced work for himself by hiring out as a farm hand. This
he continued for four years, when he came to Michigan to take advantage of the course of study offered by the Agricultural College. At the close of his Sophomore year
he left college, and engaged in market gardening on a piece of land in the eastern part of the city. Two years later, in 1871, deciding that gardening was not his forte,
he engaged with Charles W. Butler in the real estate business. He soon, however, branched off for himself, and selecting pine timber as offering the best returns for labor and capital invested,
he soon became one of the best known pine dealers of the State. In 1881 he established the village of Moorestown in Missaukee County, this State. He built a railroad fifteen miles in length, and engaged
extensively in logging his timber in that region, floating his logs down the river and having them manufactured into lumber at Muskegon. He sold out his logging operations in 1885 in order to give his attention to his increasing interests in the city. Mr. Moores was one of the original five stockholders of the Lansing Wheelbarrow Company, and at the close of its second year became its president, which position he still holds. This is one of the strong and successful institutions of the city,
and owes much of its success to his guiding hand. He has done much toward the upbuilding of the city, having built many tasty homes in various locations during the last eight years, his houses being noted for the best quality of material and completeness of detail in their interior arrangements. The home occupied by himself, at the corner of Allegan and Townsend Streets, was built in 1886, and is still admitted to be the handsomest wooden residence in the city. He is a member of the Plymouth Congregational Church, which
he served for many years as Chairman of its Board of Trustees, and is one of its best known and active supporters.
Mr. Moores' first marriage took place at Concord, Mich., December 17, 1873, to Sarah Lois Stevens, who died in March, 1886, leaving one
daughter--Miss Josephine F. In April, 1877, he married his present wife, Mrs. S. Frances Goodman, at Oak Park,
Ill. Since 1887 his attention (802)
has been given largely to the yellow pine lands of the South, selecting southeastern Mississippi as his field of operations.
He has become interested in many thousand acres, and is enthusiastic as to the outcome of investments made in that State.
SLICKER. It has often been noted
that the children of our German-American citizens have more than ordinary
qualities of industry, enterprise and ability to succeed in life, and this is no doubt due to the
fact that traits inherited through generations of quiet, persistent energy have been broadened and
awakened by the breadth and fullness and stir of American life. Whatever the theory, the fact remains that we find in this class some of our most worthy and desirable citizens.
The city of Detroit was the birthplace of our subject August 10, 1861, an d his parents Lewis
and Theresa (Trollman) Slicker were natives of Bavaria, Germany, where the father was a tailor by trade. He came
to the United States about the year 1859, and made his permanent home in Detroit, where he still resides and is active in his trade. To this couple had been born six children, namely: Pierce, Charles, Therese, Charles, Mary and Merry. The first Charles and the daughter
Mary have both passed across the dark river, and their mother was called from earth in 1872, being
only thirty-six years old. She was long mourned by those who knew her and will be remembered as
a devout member of the Roman Catholic Church.
He of whom we write was trained to manhood in Detroit and there received his education in the St. Joseph School. At the age of sixteen
he came to Tyrone and bound himself out as a farm hand to work for a farmer until he reached his majority, for $250. After completing this term of service he worked by the month until the time of his marriage, which took place December 11, 1885. His bride, Miss Tessie Cranston was a native of Tyrone Township, and a daughter of David and
Sarah (Beebe) Cranston who between the years of 1845 and 1850 came from New York to Ohio, and later removed to Michigan, where they settled upon two hundred and forty acres of rich land. Two only of their four children are now living, namely; Elmer and Tessie.
After his marriage Mr. Slicker rented his
mother-in-law's farm of two hundred and forty acres which he and his wife now own; it is one of the finest farms to be found in the township. In his political views our subject is in sympathy with the Democratic party and is interested in national movements, but is not in any sense a seeker for office.
He is a progressive and prosperous farmer, and both he and his wife are highly honored and respected throughout the community in which they live.
JOHN P. VANSYCKLE. The members of the family of which our subject is a representative have, for the most part, been tillers of the soil, and have made a success of the branch of business to which they have devoted themselves. Our subject's father was Joseph Vansyckle, a son of Rynere Vansyckle, a native of New Jersey, where he spent his life and passed away from this world at the age of eighty-five years.
He was by birth and constant employment a farmer, and his father was one of the first settlers in New York. Joseph Vansyckle was born in New Jersey in 1797. He there lived and was married to Lydia Kenney, who was born March 2, 1800, and whose decease occurred in 1889. She was a daughter of William Kenney, a, native of New York, who was of Scotch ancestry.
To Joseph Vansyckle and wife were born ten
children, five sons and five daughters. In 1835 Mr. Vansyckle came to Oakland County, and settled in Independence Township, which received its
name from the gentleman just mentioned. He settled on a farm of one hundred and sixty acres, which
he took up from the Government, and here he lived and died in 1860. He and his wife were Methodists. They were among the pioneers of
(803) that county, and at the time of their coming here one could travel north for many miles without finding any settlement. There were
at the time plenty of wolves and bears, and deer were numerous, which was fortunate, as the larder might often have been empty had Mr. Vansyckle not been so good a hunter and game so easy to obtain.
John P. Vansyckle was born June 19, 1829, in Warren County, N.J., and when five years of age came with his parents to Oakland County and remained with them, assisting with the pioneer work until he was of age, when
he learned the carpenter's trade. In 1854 he was married in Oakland County to Miss Elizabeth Gulick, a daughter of Henry Gulick, a
native of New Jersey, and an early settler in Oakland County, where he spent the remainder of his life, his decease occurring in 1862. He and his wife reared a family of ten children, five sons and five daughters. He was always a farmer, and in his religious relations a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church.
Our subject and his wife are the parents of the following children: Joseph H., Martha L., James T., Melvina D. and Harry M. All are living excepting the last named. He of Whom we write owns eighty-five acres of land in Oakland County. This he resided upon until 1864, when he went to Johnstown, Barry County, and there lived until 1866, coming at that time to Ingham County where
he settled on a farm of one hundred and sixty acres, which he cleared and broke. This he sold and then bought two hundred acres where he now resides. His farm bears a good class of buildings, his residence all that a home should be, and his barns and granaries large and roomy. He has
given eighty acres of his original purchase to his son, which leaves him one hundred and twenty acres.
Mrs. Elizabeth Vansyckle died August, 1889, and feeling the need of a companion to help him gather up the broken threads of life, he was married to Rosetta De Mond, a daughter of Harrison De Mond, a native of New York, who is an early settler in Oakland County, coming here in 1840 where
he passed his life, his decease taking place October 6, 1889. Mr. De Mond was a mason by trade and the father of a large family. Our subject has been the architect of his own fortune and has accumulated a handsome property.
He is a Prohibitionist, hoping to see the principles of that party become those that are generally accepted. He has been Highway Commissioner six years in succession.
FRANK L. HYNE. There is perhaps no family in Brighton
Township, Livingston County, more progressive and prosperous and more rapidly accumulating a handsome property than that which is represented by the name at the head of this sketch. This active young farmer and stock-raiser was born on the farm where he now makes his
home, on the 21st of August 1856. He is the son of Charles T. Hyne, and a younger brother of William F. Hyne, of whom extended mention is made elsewhere in this volume, and in whose sketch more is told of the father than can be given within the space of this brief narrative. The district school furnished the early education of this young man, and
he afterward took a course of study in the Commercial College at Detroit, being there during the years 1875 and 1876.
It was about the year 1873 when the young man began business on his own account, and since that day he has gradually increased his operations until he now carries on
an extensive farming business. He has a large trade in live stock, and for a number of years bought and shipped to a considerable extent. He raises and handles Shorthorn cattle, which
he registers, and has a very fine herd.
The young man's efforts have not been entirely confined to business operations, as he has taken time to woo and win for his wife a lady who is fully his equal in character and ability. Upon the 2nd of April, 1891,
he was wedded to Mrs. Lizzie (Williams) Sullivan, of Detroit, the widow of Charles Sullivan, and daughter of Edwin Williams, who died in 1888 after having been in business in Detroit for more than forty years.
The farm of Frank Hyne consists of one (804)
hundred and ninety acres of choice land, and besides this property
he is a stockholder with his two older brothers, William and Frederick, in a grist mill at Brighton.
He is a man who makes money naturally and easily, yet without infringing upon
the rights of others, as his unusual ability and judgment, which is conceded to be of a high order, enables him to plan wisely and to successfully carry out his enterprises. His political inclinations are in favor of the Democratic platform, although he pays only the ordinary Attention to politics, as he does not have time to devote to such matters.
LITCHFIELD. The military
record of the gentleman whose sketch in a biographical way, it is our pleasant privilege to here give, is one of which any man might well be proud, for it is that of a man who gave his services freely and gladly to his State, expecting nothing in return. He fought for his country, not for the glory, and therein lies the secret of the great military success of Northern arms. Mr. Litchfield was with the Army of the Potomac and belonged to Hancock's Corps. He is now a resident of Leroy Township, being owner of a fine farm on section 20, Leroy Township, Ingham County.
He of whom we write is a native of Norfolk County, Ontario, Canada, and was born December 25, 1842. He is a son of Julius and Adeline (Stearns) Litchfield, natives of New York State. Ten years of his boyhood were passed in Canada and then with his parents
he came to Michigan, his father locating in Monroe City where they resided for some time, being engaged in farming. The original of our sketch was denied the privileges of higher education but early assimilated in the district schools of the primitive days all that was required for a practical business life. In August, 1862, Mr. Litchfield enlisted in the War of the Rebellion, joining Company
H, of the Twenty-sixth Michigan Infantry and with this regiment was assigned to duty in
the Army of the Potomac and had the good fortune to be in Hancock's corps. He engaged in the battle of Spottsylvania, in the battle of the Wilderness, also at Cold Harbor and Pine Run. He was also in the battle of Five Points and was present at Lee's surrender at Appomattox. Besides these engagements that are of world-wide fame and which rank among the most celebrated battles that the world has ever seen,
he took part in many minor engagements, and was finally honorably discharged in the summer of 1865.
After leaving the service Mr. Litchfield spent some time in Iowa and also in Missouri, after which he came back to Michigan and was soon after united in marriage to Miss Teresa Brown, a daughter of Mateson and Olive Brown. He soon after
purchased the farm whereon he now lives. Although not an extensive tract it is fertile and yields abundantly. Socially our subject keeps up his war associations by membership with Williamston Post, No. 103, G. A. R. He has served as Vice Commander of this society. In politics
he is an adherent and believer in the principles as held by the Republican party. Personally he is a progressive man, with original tendencies. Both he and his wife are regarded in the township in which they live as great additions to the social spirit of the place.
STOW. More lasting than
speculative interests and without their deleterious effect upon the moral nature, agriculture offers a safe livelihood to any industrious man. Unless superior judgment and management is brought to bear in this as in other callings, there is seldom a brilliant success, for the ground will not yield any more by brute force than
will human nature be productive by force. Our subject belongs to one of the favored class, who is not only sure of his living, but
also a successful financier. He has attained an enviable position in the esteem of the people in Leroy
(805) Township, where he makes his residence on section 27. He was born in Livingston County, this State, October 17, 1841.
Mr. Stow is a son of Asle and Luana (Stow) Stow. His parents were natives of Vermont. They emigrated to Livingston County at
an early day and there they spent some time. The father of our subject died a number of years ago; the mother still survives, making her home in Livingston County where she has spent the greater portion of her life. The senior Mr. Stow occupied a number of township offices.
He of whom we write is one of four children born to his parents, Isaac, Anson, Seth C. and Olive. The last named is the wife of James Gray. Our subject was reared to manhood in his native county and experienced many of the hardships as well as interesting adventures of pioneer life. His whole career has been
identified with agricultural interests, being drilled to that work from earliest boyhood. In the intervals of farm labor he received a fair common-school education, one that fitted him for the ordinary
demands of business life.
July 1, 1863 the original of our sketch was united in marriage while still in Livingston County to Miss Nancy Jones, a sister of Mrs. J. M. Christian, of whom a sketch appears in another part of this work. The wife has made
the life of her husband rounded and complete. She is the mother of five children, whose names are, George, Elmer, Bert, Lila and Vernon. He of whom we write is the owner of two hundred and forty acres of land which is in a state of excellent cultivation and the farm ranks among the best in Leroy Township.
As was the case in early days, the parents of our subject could give their son but small pecuniary help and what
he has accumulated has been made by his own effort. Mr. Stow is now serving his fourth year as Highway Commissioner of Leroy Township and has also held several other positions especially those most important in a township connected with the schools.
He is a member of the Patrons of Industry and with his wife has identified himself with the Methodist Protestant Church in
which he is now serving as Steward and also Trustee. It is an old and well known saying that
an honest man is the noblest work of God and surely our subject comes under this head.
He is noted for his thrift and industry and the beauty and harmony of his public life is only a reflection of the kindness and loving gentleness that is found in his family.