HART. One of the farmers, whose place, by virtue of its well tilled acres, its neat buildings and general
appearance of prosperity, proclaims him to be a man who is not satisfied with mere existence, but to have ambitions reaching out for a higher state of perfection, is he whose name is at the head of this sketch. He is a native of the Empire State, being born in Greene Township, Sussex County, December 20, 1830.
He is a son of George and Sarah (Hilliard) Hart. His paternal grandsire was a native of New Jersey, where
he was engaged in tilling the soil for a number of years. His wife was Polly
McCouan in her maiden days, and a capable woman, who was noted for her skill as a housewife and caretaker. They were the parents of nine children, comprising
four boys and five girls. Our subject's father was born in New Jersey and was also reared a farmer. He and his wife were members of the Methodist Episcopal Church, and lived and died in New Jersey. They were the parents of nine children.
The sons of the family, of which our subject was one, were Stephen and Casander. Six girls grew to maturity. The
eldest sister, Elizabeth Hart, came to Livingston County, Mich.; Mary A. resides in New Jersey; Rhoda died while a young lady; Lydia passed away in childhood; Clarissa is now Mrs. Poole and resides in Genoa, this State; Matilda married a Mr. Smith and passed away from this life in Iosco County, this State; Caroline is Mrs. Wooden, of losco County. Our subject's mother was the daughter of William and Rhoda Hilliard, farmers of New Jersey.
The original of our sketch was reared on a farm. He received a common-school education and
was early fated for the ordinary emergencies of life. When only six years of age he was bereft of his father, and at fourteen years of age lost his mother. For a time thereafter
he lived with A. C. Harris and three years after he was engaged in working out by the month. Thus he managed to get along until he was nineteen years of age, when he came to Michigan and settled in the township of losco, Livingston County, and worked his sister's farm. Wearied of a life of single blessedness, in 1855 he took unto himself a wife. His nuptials were solemnized January 1, of that year, his bride being, prior to her marriage, Miss Elizabeth Poole, who was a native of Warren County, N.J., and the daughter of William and Mary (Gulick) Poole, who were originally farmers in New Jersey.
Soon after his marriage Mr. Hart purchased forty acres of land in Marion Township, which
he cleared and improved. In 1860 he bettered himself by trading this land for ninety acres of land in the township of Argentine, Genesee County. The following year, however, he again traded for eighty acres in Marion Township, Livingston County, adding forty acres to this, which in time he cleared and improved, erecting a good class of buildings thereon. In the spring of 1881 he purchased and located on one hundred and eighty acres on section 36, Cohoctah Township, and here
he has (846)
resided since that time. Of this he has cleared fifteen acres and has so carefully husbanded his resources that at the present time
he enjoys an assured financial position. When twenty-one years of age our
subject started out with $600 and soon after he married. His resources were not large with which to maintain a wife besides himself, but
he had an abiding faith in his own strength of purpose and in his biceps, Three children grew
up about them, all of whom are now men and women, grown and themselves the heads of families, except Della L. The eldest is Irvin W.; Leonora, now the wife of George Howe; and Della L.
Mrs. Hart's parents were natives of Morris and Warren Counties, N.J., respectively. They were farmers by calling and their social ties were closely connected with their church relations, they being identified with the Methodist Episcopal denomination. William Poole was the son of Ezra Poole, who served in the War of 1812. His wife was Mahala Brown, a native of New York, and for years was a hotel-keeper at Schooley's Mountain. They were the parents of six sons and six daughters, all of whom became the heads of families, with the exception of one. They are of English origin and
characterized by the traits which make the people of that nationality distinguished wherever they go Mr. Poole was twice married. His first wife had two children, Adam F. and Elizabeth. She died in 1830. The second wife was Elizabeth Van Sickle, who bore him three sons and five daughters, all of whom grew to manhood and womanhood.
Happy is the man who has lived a long life that has been characterized by uprightness of purpose, integrity of
principle and whose high mental and moral standing is gratefully recognized by his
fellowmen. Such a man is James Tobias and this ALBUM would fail of its purpose of recording lives that
have been useful and worthy of note were it to omit mention of his successful career. Ingham
County proudly claims him as one of her best and most enterprising citizens, and he is the fortunate owner of two hundred acres on section 26, Lansing Township. By a proper rotation of crops the land has been brought to a high degree of cultivation, while various buildings have been erected such as best subserve the purposes of agriculture.
The parents of Mr. Tobias were Julius and Laura Tobias, natives of the State of Ohio. Their son, James, was born in Medina County, that State, October 25, 1832, and at the early age of three years he was orphaned by the death of his mother. At the death of his mother, he was given to Mrs. Simon Van Osdall who was always devoted and kind to him. He attended school, acquiring a common-school education and during the intervals of study assisted his father on the farm. At the age of sixteen years he was apprenticed to learn the trade of a blacksmith and after the term of his apprenticeship had expired he followed his trade until 1860.
On December 6, 1855, Mr. Tobias and Miss Jane Buchanan were united in marriage; the bride was a daughter of John Buchanan of Ashland County, Ohio. She died in 1872, leaving three children, who are still living: John J. married Mattie Foster and resides in Williamston, Mich. Rachel Adella became the wife of Adelbert Moore and also makes her home in Williamston; Ida M. is single and is a teacher by profession, although at present she is an art student. After remaining a widower until 1886, Mr. Tobias was happily wedded on June 28 to his present wife, whose maiden name was Esther J. Mead. She was a widow of Austin Barker. Her father was a native of the State of New York. This estimable lady presides with dignity over the elegant home of her husband and by her gracious ways wins friends of
all who meet her.
The career of Mr. Tobias is certainly worthy of emulation, as
he started in life without a dollar and by persistent industry has attained to a comfortable competency. His farm being only one and one-half mile from the city limits of Lansing is very valuable property, furnishing at the same time all the advantages of city life and the comforts of a rural abode. In political matters he adheres to the principles of the Democrat party and ranks high in the councils of his party. He has held the offices of Treasurer, Highway
(847) Commissioner, and Justice of the Peace. Socially
he belongs to the Royal Arcanum, and Lodge No. 33, F. & A. H., of Lansing, and Capital Council, No. 50, R. A.
Since the above sketch was written, a terrible accident has resulted in the death of Mr. Tobias. Returning from the city with his team in October, 1891,
he was struck by an express train on the Michigan Central while crossing the track. His head was seriously injured and one foot so badly mangled that amputation was deemed necessary. His death occurred about four hours after the accident.
CHARLES E. PLACEWAY. It is a truism
that "the pen is mightier than the sword," but one that we see exemplified not only in history but in daily life. The potency of pen and ink, with brains to back these agents, is so powerful a factor that it is useless to oppose any ordinary tactics to them. He who is the subject of this sketch is not only the editor and proprietor of a bright and spicy paper, but in earnest and successful business man, and one who is very popular with all with whom
he has associations. Whenever a measure that appeals to the men who have the interests of the city most at heart is brought to our subject's attention, his trenchant pen and clear, concise style are the surest mediums for converting popular opinion.
The paper of which Mr. Placeway is the editor is known as the Brighton
Weekly Argus, and very appropriately; its proprietor and editor is a native of this State and naturally his affection and interest are here centered. He was born in Hamburg Township, Livingston
County, October 13, 1860, and is a son of Joseph E. Placeway, a native of New York, who came to Michigan with his parents in 1834. Our subject's grandfather was a native of of the State of
Massachusetts, while his great-grandfather, William Placeway, was a native of Nova Scotia, and engaged in trade in Boston, Mass. His great-great-grandfather, William
Placeway, was also a native of Nova Scotia, where he was a tailor
by trade, and his ancestors, prior to this came from England. Some of our subject's ancestors were soldiers in the Revolutionary War, and the
Placeways were noted patriots in the early days of
the Republic. His grandfather, Joseph Placeway, migrated to this State and settled in Genoa Township, Livingston County, about the year of 1834, and at that time entered a tract of and which he cleared and
subsequently removed to Brighton where he died in 1859. He was the father of five children, three sons and two daughters, all living with the exception of one son.
Joseph Placeway, the father of the original of our sketch, was reared to manhood in this locality.
He is now engaged in agricultural business in Brighton. He married Emily J. Smith, who was born in Green Oak Township, this
county. She is a devoted Christian and for many years has been connected with the Methodist Episcopal Church. Joseph Placeway and two of his brothers served in the late War of the Rebellion, the former
being a member of the Third Michigan Cavalry and served over three years.
Our subject is the eldest of three children and was reared on the home farm. A progressive youth,
he early graduated at the Brighton school in 1874. He afterward attended the university at Ann Arbor, and after finishing his course at that noted
institution of learning, he entered the office of the Brighton Citizen then published by George Axtell, as an apprentice. He remained in that office for about two years and then entered the office of the Ann Arbor
Courier with which he was connected for one year, and in 1878 he branched out for himself and established the South Lyon
Herald, the first paper ever published in that town. In a short time, however,
he sold out and established the Pinckney Gazette, of Pinckney, Livingston County, this State. Six months later
he removed his office to Brighton, and adding new presses to his stock,
he started the Brighton Weekly Argus in 1880. His first attempt here was a modest sheet in five column folio form. This he has since enlarged until it is a five-column quarto. The paper has always been conducted on independent principles as far as politics are concerned. Since coming
(848) here Mr. Placeway has added new material to his office until it is now an exceedingly well equipped country office, and is as progressive and bright
as one ever finds.
The gentleman of whom it is our pleasure and privilege to here give a short biographical sketch, was married October 19,1881, to Miss Alta E. Case, a native of Brighton and a, daughter of Ira W. Case, one of the oldest merchants in the county. Mr. and
Mrs. Placeway are the parents of two children, William C. and Edna S., who are bright and interesting children.
He of whom we write is a Republican in his political predilection, and has held various offices in the gift of the town. He has been Village Clerk for three years and Township Clerk for four years, also School Inspector for four Years.
He is now an incumbent of the office of Town Clerk. The citizens in electing him delegate to county and State conventions, have felt that they were sending one of their best representatives. Socially our subject belongs to the Knights of Macabees, and is also a Son of Veterans.
He is by profession an auctioneer and acts in this capacity whenever called upon, having been thus employed for ten years. He is also largely interested in the real-estate business. He himself owns eighty acres of good land in this county and eighty acres in Leroy Township, Ingham County.
He is a good salesman and is largely employed as an agent by various property owners.
DE ELBERT A.
REYNOLDS. Among the
pushing, energetic, successful business men of Lyons, Ionia County, is the subject of
this biographical notice. Mr. Reynolds came to Lyons with his family in 1881 on account
of its excellent railroad facilities, he being at that
time engaged as a traveling salesman in Michigan. In the summer of 1882, the Grand River
Echo, published at Lyons, suspended publication, and in September, of the same year, the Muir
Vidette met a like fate. Mr. Reynolds, in company with W. D. Pennington, Jr., bought the two plants, put
in a quantity of new material and the necessary energy, launching the Lyons
Herald in October, of the same year. From that time the business has continued to grow until at this writing Mr. Reynolds is sole owner of one of the best newspapers and job printing offices in Central
Michigan, from which is issued the Patrons Guide. The current issue of this paper is a little over ninety-three thousand copies, while it carries a pay-roll of over twenty men and women.
Personally, Mr. Reynolds is conservative, prudent and sagacious; editorially he is fearless, nonpartisan, and the terror of tricksters, political or social rings. Born in Isabella County in 1854,
he modestly claims the distinction of being the first child born of white parents in that then Indian reservation, and his education was such as could be
obtained among the Aborigines. Young Reynolds spent his time in driving the cows to pasture and watching the hopper in his father's gristmill; naturally inclined to literary pursuits he also devoted considerable attention to the study of history, books of travel and current newspaper literature. Upon the death of his father in 1870, he went to Maple Rapids, where he finished his trade as a miller, but was soon taken with a protracted illness that kept his lungs in a very delicate condition and almost undermined his entire constitution.
Turning his attention to the classics Mr. Reynolds soon fitted himself for teaching, which vocation
he followed for eight winters, devoting his time during the summer months to the subduing of a small farm in Clinton County, and incidentally becoming strong and healthy. During the years spent on the farm he
gave to the literary world some very choice productions, which have won for him a reputation as a writer, in which his friends take a very commendable pride. The last eight years of his life have found his leisure hours employed in securing the data for what will be the crowning effort of his literary career.
Mr. Reynolds is the only son of John and Catherine Reynolds, of old Puritan stock; the former died in 1870, and the wife survived but two years. The other members of the family are: Mrs. Delia Davis, Mrs. Harriet Mullins and Mrs. Katie Helm.
(849) Mr. Reynolds was united in marriage in 1874 with Miss Seruah Vincent, and two
sons--Egbert A. and Loyal W., have come to bless the union.
Since the above sketch was written Mr. Reynolds has removed his printing business to the State Capital, Lansing, where in addition to his other business
he has launched the Michigan Statesman in the interest of the new political party known as the Peoples' party.
His residence, office building and other property interests he still retains in Lyons.
TRIPP. A representative of one of the old and highly respected families who
for years figured conspicuously in the history of one of the Eastern States, is
he whose name is at the head of this sketch. He was born January 31,
1837, in the town of Pike, Wyoming, County, N.Y. He is the son of Stephen and Sarah (Woodard) Tripp. His paternal grandsire was Gideon Tripp who was the son of Gideon Tripp, a native of Rhode Island and there was married to
Ama Shipey, after which they removed to Nassau, Rensselaer County, N.Y. There
he engaged in farming and milling and was prosperous in business, as indeed it was expedient that
he should be as he had a large family to care for. He held the position of Justice of the Peace for many years. Our subject's grandfather was born in Rensselaer County and was reared to the calling of a farmer; he also ran a sawmill. He was married to Sarah Mead, who bore him the following children: Ezra, Stephen, Gideon, George, Malachi, Phebe and Elizabeth. In those early days society hinged very
much, as indeed it does still to a large degree, on church relations, and the Tripp family belonged to the Baptist persuasion.
The decease of our subject's grandfather occurred
in New York, and his widow married Silas McWithey. They both died in Lapeer, this
State. The immediate progenitor of him of whom we write was born August 28, 1796 in Rensselaer
County, N.Y. He was a farmer by calling and removed to Wyoming County where
he lived for a year. In June 1837, he came to Michigan and settled in Lapeer County, where
he entered eighty acres of land which he practically improved. He later traded it
for one hundred and sixty acres which he improved and gave to his sons. There were five children--Julia A., Harris N., Harriet H., Louisa and Noah F.
He came to Deer Creek, Livingston County, with our subject, where he died October 1, 1882. His wife died January 7, 1885, while in her ninetieth year. They were Baptists in their church relations and our subject's father was a Democrat of the old stamp.
The mother of our subject was a native of Rensselaer County, N.Y., a daughter of Abijah Woodard, also
a native of New York and who served in the Revolutionary War, being present
at the surrender of Cornwallis at Yorktown. He was a shoemaker by trade but proved conclusively that a shoemaker need not always stick to his last, for he made a brave and valiant soldier. He of whom we write was raised on the farm. He received a district school education after coming to Michigan. He lived with his father until that parent was to
aged to attend to business and then Noah F. Tripp took charge of the parents, and assisted in the clearing of the homestead. In the fall of 1864 he came to Deer Creek and bought one hundred and twenty acres on section 9, to which he afterward added forty acres on section 5.
In 1882 Mr. Tripp located where he now resides
on section 5. His farm comprises one hundred and twenty acres of well developed and improved land. It boasts of good buildings and a comfortable residence. Politically Mr. Tripp is a Democrat.
He is deservedly popular in the locality in which he lives and is now
serving his third term as Justice of the Peace. Socially he is a Mason.
Our subject's marriage took place October 10, 1864, at which time
he was united to Miss Lemira Caruss, who was born in the township of Commerce, Oakland County, this State, September 9, 1843.
She is a daughter of Henry and Maria (Green) Caruss, a farmer and blacksmith. Henry Caruss was born in Bloomfield Township, Ontario County,
N.Y., May 15, 1803; he was first married to Miss Temperance Bishop, they were the parents of five children. She died September 24, 1839.
He was a second time married to Miss Sallie Green, mother of Mrs. Tripp who is one of two children born to her parents, the other child being, a brother, by name Oscar
H. She died December 13, 1864. Mr. Caruss was again married to Mrs. Palmer who still survives him, he having died
January 14, 1878, at the age of 75. Mr. and Mrs. Tripp are the parents of four children whose names are as follows: Hattie E., who was born February 15, 1866, Minnie M., March 23, 1867, and Nettie B., November 24, 1870. She is the wife of Allen Struble, and Myrtie A., born January 8, 1873. Our subject and his wife are highly respected in the community in which they reside. They appreciate the advantages that education
gives to the men of to-day and have made every exertion that their children might be cultured,
educated and refined.
VanAMBURG. In biblical days, as the gray hairs appeared
on the reverend head and in the flowing beard and the shoulders were bent with the weight of years, the men took their place among the elders at
the gate and there they received the deference and honor from great and small, rich and poor, due their wisdom and experience. Were the custom prevalent today in America, he of whom we write would have one of the most honored places, for
he is almost ninety years of age, well known and honored of all who are associated with him and having a place in the affections of the people because of his gentle, courteous, yet manly bearing, pure principles and simplicity of purpose.
Mr. Van Amburg has lived at his present farm, which is located on section 22, Brighton Township
for the past thirty-five years, and has been a resident of Michigan for sixty-six years. He is a native of the town of Milton, Saratoga County, N.Y.,
and was born December 16, 1803. He was reared on a farm and his educational advantages were
decidedly poor being limited to a few months schooling, as he could be spared in the winter. He is
truly a self made man, having had but few opportunities during early life to advance in an intellectual way. When a boy
he studied Adams' Arithmetic many a time far into the night, by the light
of the old fashioned fireplace, and became quite well versed in mathematics, having mastered the elementary branches.
By his industrious habits and earnest efforts our subject obtained sufficient learning to enable him to become a teacher. His parents were poor and he was forced, at an early age to rely upon himself for support.
He began working out by the month when twelve years old, and was thus engaged for eight months, receiving $4 per month for his services. The next year he was advanced to a salary of $5 per
month, and at the end of four seasons, the highest wages he was paid was
$6 a month. However it did not take so much to live then as now, and doubtless the young
man made $6 a month go as far as many young men of today do ten times that amount.
In 1819, Mr. Van Amburg accompanied his father and family to Jefferson County, N.Y., where
he was employed for three years by a syndicate of French gentlemen who owned a large tract of land. Chief among these was Mr. James Lee Ray, to whom our subject looked for instructions, and when sent on errands, or told to do anything, he was expected to drop everything and go without a moment's delay. Thus
he early learned unquestioning obedience. Upon one occasion he was called upon to deliver a letter at a distance of
ten miles, and this before breakfast. He made frequent trips to Joseph Bonaparte, a brother of the illustrious Napoleon Bonaparte who had emigrated to America, and located in the wilds of western New York
on a large plantation, twenty-five miles distant from where our subject was employed. Upon one occasion, young Van Amburg was directed to make a journey to the hermitage of Joseph Bonaparte, with horse and wagon. He started at eleven o'clock in the morning without his dinner,
and when within about five miles of his destination darkness came upon him and he was unable to find his way through the forest. There was a drizzling rain and the night was intensely dark. All he could do was to camp out in the forest as best
he (851) could, so, tying his horse to a spruce tree they sheltered themselves as well as might be until the morning. The forests in those days abounded with wild beasts but fortunately
he was not molested. The next morning, soon after daylight, he delivered
his message to Bonaparte.
The vigorous work of chopping wood was reserved for the winter season, and his ax rang out
through the frosty air from dawn until nightfall as long as the work lasted, and then he was obliged
to employ himself otherwise. For some time our subject found employment with a party of surveyors, and while with them,
he gained a good knowledge of the surrounding country as well as of the science of surveying. In February, 1825, the original of our sketch, with his brother, started for
Michigan on foot. They traversed the entire distance in this way, stopping at Palmyra, Wayne
County, N.Y., for a rest of three days. They journeyed to Farmington, Oakland County, where
they stopped and found employment. The country in that section was then a perfect wilderness,
and abounded in wild game, such as deer, wolves and bear. Indians, too, were not strangers to the
few white inhabitants who had wandered into the country.
Mr. Van Amburg and his brother took a contract to clear five acres and to erect a log house for a
man but the brother becoming sick was unable to complete the task. Our subject worked four days to pay for an ax, and then worked five days to pay his board while paying for the ax.
He engaged to clear twelve acres of land, which task he partially completed, and for which
he received sufficient money to enable him to enter eighty acres of Government land in the town of Novi,
Oakland County. This he partially cleared and improved, and subsequently sold, purchasing one
hundred and sixty acres four miles further west, and he bent his energies and efforts to clearing and improving his last acquired tract.
The gentleman of whom we write had a family by this time, and is he was so far from any school privileges, or other advantages that
he felt his children should enjoy, he concluded to exchange a part of his tract for a farm in on the State road. This he succeeded in doing, and soon moved out into a
more civilized community, In 1857, he traded ninety acres, of land in Oakland County for three hundred
and twenty acres in Brighton Township, Livingston County, and here he has since lived locating
on this place. Four years later he exchanged a portion of it for his present farm, which lies just across the road from the first tract.
He of whom we write, was married March 15, 1829, to Miss Mary Ann Taft, a daughter of Pitch Taft, who came to the Wolverine State from New York early in the '20s. Mrs. Mary Van Amburg died December 29, 1850, leaving seven children, namely: Louise M., Orson T., Harriet A., William H.,
Joseph T., Henry W. and Daniel O. They are all married and have families of their own with the exception of William. August 3, 1861, Mr. Van Amburg again married, this time being united to Amanda M. Brown. Two children are the fruit of this union, Albert A. and Charles W., both of whom are living.
Our subject was originally an old-line Whig but
on the reconstruction of the party he has transferred his allegiance to the Republican party and
has voted with this political body ever since. He is a strong temperance
man. For nearly fifty years he worshipped with the Methodist Episcopal body,
but about sixteen years ago he withdrew from this denomination and joined the Wesleyan Church.
He has always been a conscientious man and a zealous Christian.
Almost four-score and ten years of age our subject retains his faculties well. He remembers when a boy nine years old seeing the marching
of the troops during the War of 1812, and can relate with marked vividness, incidents of his
boyhood days. He was Lieutenant for a time of a Company of Michigan Riflemen.
He has never posed as an aspirant for office, but during his pioneer days he held the office of Justice of the Peace, and other minor posts.
Mr. Van Amburg has at times owned considerable land, but of late years has sold it off until he now has eighty acres, upon which is built a comfortable
home. He is a man of marked refinement and intelligence, with a most pleasing presence, and has the rarest of gifts, being an entertaining conversationalist.
On the eminence upon which he now stands, he can look back over nearly (852)
a century of national progress, and the fact that it now ranks so high among the
nations whereas at the beginning of his career, it held so modest a place, is
gratifying to him as a loyal American citizen.
Our subject, who is a farmer, is the owner of forty acres of land on section 20, of Vevay Township, Ingham
County, and this he cultivates to such good purpose that it yields him a very comfortable
income. Mr. Jewett was born in Washtenaw County, Lima Township, this State., September 15, 1842. He is the son of
Joseph P. and Miranda (Freer) Jewett. The father was born in 1807 in New Hampshire and the mother in New York, May 8,
1811. The parents were married in the East and three children have come to them prior to their
settling in Michigan. They settled here while it was a territory, locating in Washtenaw County.
Our subject is the sixth in a family of eleven children, nine of whom are still living, and are taking responsible positions in society as honorable and upright men and women. Mr. Jewett's boyhood days were spent on a farm, and during this period
he received a good common school education, and enjoyed the additional advantage of two winters in a select school at
Lima Center, Washtenaw County. At that time, the War of the Rebellion broke out and in the late fall of 1861, November 5,
he responded to the call for volunteers and enlisted in the first
Michigan Lancers, joining Company D, and was afterward transferred to Company G.
He was, however, discharged on March 21, 1862, because the Government found that lancers could not be used in the mode of warfare which they carried on.
He next enlisted in the First Michigan Light Artillery, September 7, 1864, joining Company E. He was in the battle of Nashville and was then detailed to transport troops from Jackson, Mich., to the front.
He was at the siege of Petersburg, and made eight trips to Nashville, two to Petersburg, and two to Hart's Island. Although
he was never commissioned an officer, receiving the pay of a private only,
he did an officer's work. He received an honorable discharge May 6, 1865. White on duty he was in a railroad collision and was rendered unconscious, being hurt in the hip and the small of the back, and although
he has been to a great extent incapacitated for active work, he receives only the small sum of
$8 per month pension for the chances that he ran during the war.
On his discharge from the army, Mr. Jewett having saved some money, purchased forty acres of land in Aurelius Township.
He was married February 14, 1867, to Miss Mary A. Claflin, a daughter of William and Martha Claflin. There are three children by this marriage; Arthur W., who was born
July 26, 1869, in Vevay Township; Mattie B., whose natal day was April 25, 1874, and Alton L., born September 16, 1879. The eldest son is a well-educated, intelligent young man with good business qualifications. He married Lulu Lyon and has settled upon his own little farm of forty acres, which it is evident, however, will soon be
a larger tract, for he is energetic and ambitious, and a good farmer. One child has blessed the union of these young
people. On October 15, 1891, he received the appointment as chairman of the Committee on grains and grasses for the World's Columbian Exposition, to be held in Chicago in 1893 The daughter, Mattie B., lives at home and attends
High School in Mason. She is fitting herself for a teacher. The youngest child, Alton L., is a bright, active boy, advanced in his books, and having a special tact and talent in mathematics.
Mrs. Mary A. Jewett passed away from this life April 1, 1883. She is interred in the cemetery at Mason.
The original of our sketch was again married April 8, 1884, his
bride being Miss Eliza A. Carson, of Chicago. She is a daughter of Robert and Abigail (Gould) Carson. The father and mother
are natives of New York State. Politically, he of whom we write, votes with the Republican party. He has been Justice of the Peace for four years and is now serving another term. He has been both Director and Moderator of the School Board, and has
held other minor offices.
One brother of our subject, Lester E. Jewett, was in the army and was a participant in
(853) seventy-six engagements.
He earned promotion and was so recommended, but on account of a deficiency in his speech,
he was not eligible to the position recommended. He was, however, given a medal for meritorious services.
He is now a farmer in Aurelius, and is the father of three children. Our subject's oldest brother, J.
P. Jewett, was also in the army and served three years. He was slightly wounded by being hit by a spent ball, in the breast. The ball buried itself in the flesh and had to be extracted.
He, at present, lives in Baldwin, Lake County, Mich. where he is engaged in agricultural pursuits, and is the father of two children.
ALLEN A. DORRANCE, an enterprising and successful farmer who is the owner and proprietor of a fine tract located on section 9. Howell Township, Livingston County, came to this State in the fall of 1842 with his parents, who settled on section 21, of the same township. There
he purchased seventy acres which he lived on for two years, after which
he moved upon a farm of eighty acres just opposite where he now lives. Here
our subject's father died in December, 1863. He was a hard-working man and
an excellent manager, having accumulated a large and valuable property before
Our subject was born in Ontario County, Bristol Township,
N.Y. and there received his education in the district school, finishing his course after
coming to Howell. He lived at home with his parents until twenty-two
years of age. They were Augustus D. and Sarah L. (Marble) Dorrance natives of Connecticut and Massachusetts respectively. His paternal grandparents were Alexander and Rebecca Dorrance, natives of Connecticut. They had a family of four children. Politically the grandsire was an old-line Whig and like most men in those stirring days of change and reconstruction was much interested in politics.
He and his wife lived and died in Connecticut.
Augustus D., our subject's father, was educated
in Connecticut and when eighteen years of age began his career by teaching school in Massachusetts.
He made this his profession, continuing in the work until thirty-three years
old, and then because of the failure of his health he went upon a farm and enjoyed a bucolic life until
he came West, and when he held first the office of Constable in Howell Township. He entered the marital relation while in Massachusetts, his marriage being celebrated about 1817. His bride was Sarah L.,
the daughter of Charles and Phebe (Cudworth) Marble, natives of Massachusetts, the former being by trade a boot and shoe maker. Their first home was in Crystal Township, Ontario County, N.Y., where his wife died. After that sad event
he came to Michigan and lived with his father until the death of the latter, who was a man of the strongest Democratic principles. He had served in the War of 1812.
The original of our sketch married Miss Lydia La Rowe, January 1, 1860. The lady is a daughter of John B. and Eliza (Clark) La Rowe, natives
of New York. They were farmers and came to Michigan at an early day, settling in Handy, this
county in 1836. There they took up land which he later sold and returned to his old home in the
East. In 1842 he came back to Michigan and settled in Howell Township where
he purchased a farm and bent his efforts to improving the same. He lived upon this place until his death which occurred in 1890. The mother still lives upon the
old homestead. Of ten children who have been born to her eight are now living. Mr. La Rowe
was a Republican in party preference and a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, being thus
connected for thirty-five years.
After marriage Mr. Dorrance purchased forty acres of timber land where
he now lives. Later he added twenty acres to his original purchase. He first erected a frame house 18x24 feet in dimensions. This was the home of the family for some time. After having secured a home he bent his energies to clearing up the land. The house has
since been enlarged and beautified, provided with many comforts and conveniences, so that it now is
a most attractive, as well as home-like farm residence. Mr. Dorranee has planted two and a half acres in fruit trees and this is now an orchard that
(854) produces abundantly of the finest varieties of fruit that are grown in this latitude.
He also has large variety of small fruit and this branch of agriculture
he finds to be very remunerative. The place is well kept up, fences are in perfect order,
barns and granaries are good and substantial, while the sheds for the stock are comfortable and well-arranged. In fact the place is one of the fine
farms of this locality. Our subject has a family of two children, also an adopted daughter. John A.,
aged twenty-seven, lives at home, and is a bright and progressive young man, who acquired his education in Howell Township. The others are
Clarence A. and Clara B.
The original of our sketch favors the platform of the Republican party and is loyal in his following, of that political body. In his church associations he belongs to the United Brethren persuasion and has been a Class-Leader in that body for the past thirty years. He is one of the
prominent farmers of the township. Mrs. Dorrance enjoys the distinction of being the first white child born in the township of Howell, her natal day being August 29, 1828. She is
an estimable lady, whose interests are closely united with those of her husband. Mr. Dorrance breeds horses, cattle and sheep of graded stock and is the owner of some of the finest animals in this county.
BANGS. All honor should be rendered to those honorable members of society
who, by hard work and determined activity coupled with an unfailing energy, have developed the resources of a new country, and double
honor should be paid them when to their record of industry we can add the story of their true
integrity, pure lives and beneficent kindness to others. A high aim and a true life have their effect
upon the community just as surely as the sunshine causes the trees to bud and the flowers to bloom,
and it is as necessary and vital a part in the development and progress of
social life as the rays of the sun are in the physical world.
Orange Bangs has his fine farm on section 27, Unadilla Township, Livingston County. His father, Nathaniel Bangs, was a Vermont farmer, and his mother's maiden name was Mary Woodman. They were both born the Green Mountain State and lived there for a few years after their marriage and then removed to Livingston County, N.Y., and settled upon a new farm, which they proceeded to reduce to a state of civilization. There the father died, and the mother afterward came to Michigan, where she was married to Samuel Gilman, who died a number of years ago. She then lived with her daughter in Van Buren County, and there passed from earth some four years ago. They were the parents of nine children, who grew to maturity, and
five of them are now living.
The original of this sketch was born June 22, 1826, in Livingston County, N.Y., and there
he grew to manhood. He attended the district school in his native State and began for himself as an independent farmer at the age of twenty-one. At that time he decided to come West and settled upon a farm on section 36, Unadilla Township. Forty acres of this tract of one hundred was already somewhat improved. During the following year, in 1848,
he was united in marriage with Laurette Morrison, whose parents were from Vermont, and came to this State about the year of 1840, and settled upon a farm in Van Buren County, where they both remained through the rest of their days. They were the parents of nine children, four of whom are now living.
Mrs. Bangs was born in 1828, and her marriage with our subject resulted in the birth of three children: Viola, who is unmarried; Orphalin T., wife of George Backus, who lives in this township, and Eva A., now Mrs. Frank Richmond, residing in this township. The mother of this family was called to pass to her heavenly reward June 14, 1886, and her daughter, Viola, is now her father's home-maker. Mrs. Bangs was a great lover of flowers, and the surroundings of their home abundantly testify to the fact that her beautiful memory is kept alive by the cultivation of these, which were her treasures.
Mr. Bangs resided for nineteen years on section 26, and has now
made his home for twenty-five years on section 27, where he has three hundred
(855) and ninety acres of land, two hundred and eighty acres of which are under cultivation. Upon his first occupancy of his farm he erected a log house, a frame stable, a corn house and a hen house, and his own strong arm felled the trees on forty-five acres of land.
He rebuilt the house on section 27, and also in excellent horse barn, measuring 26x66 feet.
He has set out six acres of orchard, and devotes himself to general farming.
When this prosperous man came to Michigan his capital consisted only of what
he had been able to save out of his earnings during the previous two seasons, and amounted to $160 in all, so that it is plain to see that he has earned all that he now possesses, as he has depended entirely upon his own exertions through life. Both
he and his lamented companion were members of the Presbyterian Church at the village of Unadilla, where
he has been in active membership for forty years, and is a Trustee of the church.
He has always been interested in political issues and allies himself with the Republican party. He favors the cause of temperance and education and gave to every one of his children excellent advantages, which they prized highly, and they are in their lives abundantly repaying this faithful parent for his devotion to their care and training in their early years.