Green Oak Township
THE township of Green Oak is
entitled to distinguished mention among the townships of the county of Livingston not only
from the period of its settlement, which, with one exception, antedates that of any other
township in the county, but from the influential position it has maintained in its
political and social relations. This is mainly owing to the character of its inhabitants,
whose broad and fertile acres are evidence of their industry, as their attractive houses
are indicative of taste and intelligence. Green Oak was one of the first three townships
organized, having been erected by act of the Territorial Legislature, March 17, 1835, and
included at that time townships Nos. 1 and 2, north of range 6, east of the principal
meridian, and embracing the territory now known as Green Oak and Brighton, the first
meeting of the townships for the election of officers being held at the house of Isaac
The first settler in the township was Stephen Lee, who came from
Western New York to Michigan, September, 1830, and entered 80
acres on section 20. With him came his wife and children, two sons of whom, Charles S. and
Solomon, occupy the paternal acres, while another son, Hannibal Lee, resides near by on
the same section. Mr. Lee and his sons, on their arrival, immediately turned their
attention to the erection of a log house, which was the first in the township, and then
devoted themselves to breaking up and improving the land, upon which a crop of wheat was
sown that afforded them the means of subsistence the following year.
In the month of June of the following year Moses Gleason entered
80 acres on section 19 with a view to settling, but soon after, the Black Hawk war cast
its terrors over the neighborhood, and Mr. Gleason regarded the presence of Indians as not
altogether conducive to safety or happiness. He never resided upon his land, but found a
home in Washtenaw County, which was more thickly populated and less frequented by red men.
Mr. 323. Gleason was the first clergyman, who held service in
the township. He was a local preacher of the Methodist Episcopal Church, and the first
month of his arrival, June, 1831, conducted a religious service at the house of Stephen
Lee, the family of Benjamin Curtis, together with Mr. Lee's household, being his only
Daniel Appleton entered at the same date with Mr. Gleason 160
acres on the same section, but, apparently influenced by a like dread of Indians, he took
up his residence in Northfield. This land came subsequently into the possession of Isaac
Appleton by the payment of $50 to a young man who was a ward of his father's, and resided
in his family Asahel Hubbard finally became the purchaser of half of this tract, while the
remaining 80 acres was purchased by Hannibal Lee, and now forms a portion of his estate.
Benjamin Curtis came but a few days later than Mr. Lee, and
entered, Oct. 6, 1830, 67 acres on section 20, just across the road from Mr. Lee's. He was
a mechanic, and soon after his arrival built a log house and improved the land, which he
resided upon until his death.
Isaac Appleton entered, Oct. 26, 1830, just twenty days after
Stephen Lee's arrival, 127 acres on section 17. He was exceedingly fond of sport, and the
following spring built upon the banks of the Huron River a cabin for the purpose of
shooting ducks as they congregated on the shores of the river. It was so arranged that, by
concealing himself within the inclosure, he was able to secure them in large numbers as
they were decoyed within range. With the game which he shot and the bread which Mrs. Lee
baked for him, he was able to spread an epicurean repast before the friends who visited
his bachelor quarters.
One of the restless, energetic spirits of the early days of Green
Oak, who also early broke the soil of Brighton was Sherman D. Dix, who entered, May 14,
1832, 82 acres of land on section 17, and boarded with the family of Mr. Lee. Hannibal Lee
aided him in breaking up 40 acres, but discovering in Brighton a wider scope for his
powers, at the expiration, of a year he removed thither, having sold his land, with its
improvements, to Thomas Sargent. Dix was a Bostonian, and when a boy was sent to a school
in the suburbs of the city. But his restive spirit would not brook the restraints of a
school-room, and his active brain, always fertile in resources, readily devised some
scheme whereby he might extricate himself from its confined surroundings. He took a
chicken from the master's coop, cut off its head, and allowed the blood to run into a vial
he had prepared. He then repaired to his room and, feigning illness, sent for his father. On the arrival of his parent he
immediately had a paroxysm of coughing, accompanied by very dangerous symptoms and
apparent hemorrhage. He was immediately released from study and taken home. Fresh air and
active exercise was recommended, and a farm was purchased in Michigan. The school-boy was
transformed into a pioneer. The paternal Dix, was a large boot and shoe manufacturer, and
among the chattels which young Dix brought with him was a box of those necessary articles,
which he disposed of to the neighbors. It was his especial delight to visit the bachelor
quarters of Mr. Appleton on foraging expeditions. This gentleman before departing for the
fields would prepare his frugal noon-day meal, which consisted of a bowl of bread and
milk, the crusts meanwhile becoming thoroughly soaked. Dix would help himself to what was
to be found, and then quietly enjoy his friend's discomfiture.
Nathaniel Potter, a Quaker, entered 40 acres adjoining that of
Sherman D. Dix, in May, 1832. Dix broke up 10 acres for him, and received in return a yoke
of oxen. He did not build a house or take up his residence upon the farm, and finally sold
J. B. Hammond entered, in May, 1831, 160 acres on section 35, and
80 acres on section 34. A year and a half later he removed from Livingston Co,, N.Y., with
his brother to his Western home, and immediately erected a shanty, in which they found a
comfortable abode. Their nearest neighbors at this time were Charles Place, on the
southerly side in Northfield, and Stephen Lee and his sons, who, were located five miles
northwest. A school-house was early built in this vicinity, which stood just across the
township line in Northfield.
As nearly as can be ascertained the first schoolhouse was built
in the centre of section 10, in the year 1834. The building, like all others of that early
period, was constructed of logs, and the ground upon which it stood was afterwards,
purchased by John Yerinton. Another early school was that taught by Miss Mary Olds in a
log school-house on section 3, near the Brighton township line. One hundred and twenty
acres was purchased by George Gready, who came from Bristol, England, in 1832, and first
settled in Oakland, County. Later he removed across the road into Brighton, his nearest
neighbor at the time being Thomas Dunlap, of the former county. Mr. Gready still resides
upon this farm, which he has improved and greatly increased in value.
Robert Warden left Greenock, Scotland, in August of the year
1832, for the United States, and after sojourning for a brief time. in Onondaga
324. County, purchased, in May, 1833, in connection with
the late Governor Kinsley S. Bingham, the west half of section 12, embracing 320 acres,
and entered by Jay Olmsted. Soon after they entered additional land from the government.
Upon their arrival they were domiciled with Joseph Lorce, until a log house in process of
erection was completed, when they established themselves in it, Mr. Warden living with Mr.
and Mrs. Bingham until 1849. They came to their land by way of Whitmore Lake, Mr. Bingham
driving the oxen, while Mr. Warden looked after the horses. A coat belonging to one of
them containing $500 was carelessly thrown on the wagon and lost on the way. After much
search it was discovered by a settler, who, being intoxicated, was not aware of its
contents. Few men who were in public life a quarter of a century since have left more
honored memories than Governor Bingham. He was a practical farmer, and remarkably
successful in agricultural pursuits; skilled in public affairs, and happy in his power of
harmonizing his convictions with the strong current of popular feeling. Beginning with the
minor office of postmaster of his township, he rose steadily, being elected first judge of
probate of the county, then representative in the State Legislature, to which position he
was four times chosen, and thrice elected speaker of the House; in 1846 elected to
Congress, re-elected the following term, and in 1854 and 1856 elected Governor.
In 1859 he was elected United States Senator, and served but two
years, being attacked with apoplexy, which occasioned his death, October, 1861, in Green
Oak. He was a mail of strong convictions, and in his various public offices displayed a
soundness of judgment well calculated to promote the best interests of the State. In the
contest on the slavery question, which followed his re-election to Congress in 1848, he
offered strenuous opposition to the extension of slavery into the Territories, and in this
he stood alone among the representatives from his own State. His record during this term
confirmed him in the popular regard, and made him the people's choice for Governor. His
death was a source of universal and profound sorrow.
A. W. Olds arrived in the Territory in 1832, and came to the
township in, 1833. He at first purchased 80 acres of land that had been previously entered
by David Meach, and later added to it until his farm embraced an area of 440 acres. On
this land he built a saw-mill the year of his arrival, which was the second one erected in
the county. Mr. Olds, upon being requested to recall some reminiscences regarding his
early settlement, could think of nothing of consequence, except that be on
one occasion chased three bears on horseback. This, however, he regarded as a trivial
circumstance, in which the writer agreed, since no blood was shed on either side.
Few of the pioneers of Michigan attained so venerable an age as
did William Lemon, who died in January of the present year, aged ninety-eight years. He
left Livingston Co., N.Y., in 1831, and arriving in the State entered 293 acres on section
31 in May of that year, and was the third settler in the township. He reached Green Oak
via Detroit and Ann Arbor, which latter place was at that date little more than a hamlet,
having but one store and a bakery, which Mr. Lemon, finding empty, rented for two weeks
for his family, while he went in search of land with Harris Seymour, whom he met bound
upon the same errand. Having made his location, he moved his family temporarily into a
shanty on the east side of Whitmore Lake, in Washtenaw County, while a shanty was being
built for their permanent abode. In the winter, when more leisure was afforded him, he
prepared timber for the erection of a spacious log house. At the raising of this house, on
four successive days people came from Ann Arbor and the adjacent country, who rendered
valuable assistance, Soon after the Black Hawk war was inaugurated, and the settlers
becoming alarmed at the presence of Indians, who in the event of a successful campaign,
might prove dangerous, the whites repaired to Ann Arbor for safety, the farmers meanwhile
burying their farming implements to prevent their destruction. Mr. Lemon's oldest son was
drafted for this war, which draft happily terminated with no fatal result. When the family
started they provided themselves with a year's provisions, and had also a yoke of oxen and
two cows. The latter proved a source of much tribulation to them, having disappeared soon
after their arrival. A diligent search was instituted, but the wandering bovines were not
discovered until the following October, when they were found staying very contentedly in
Ann Arbor. Mr. Lemon shot forty deer in one winter, which were hung from the beams in the
house until disposed of otherwise.
George Galloway came in 1833, and located on what is now
known as the Fields farm, but later moved to Hamburg, on the border of Pleasant Lake. At
this period, for three successive years the wheat crop failed, and rye bread was the
universal diet, which, however wholesome, was not altogether palatable for constant use,
and the year that again brought abundant wheat-harvests was remembered with blessings by
325. The first social event of distinction that occurred
in the township was the marriage, in 1834, of Mr. Hannibal Lee to Miss Mary Hubbard, both
of Northfield, which at that time embraced the territory of Green Oak. This was the
occasion of a double wedding, Mrs. Lee's sister being united at the same time to Mr. Lee's
brother, and Stephen Lee's house being the scene of the festivities.
The first male child born was George Hammond, the date of that
event being Sept. 17, 1823. The same year occurred the birth of Miss Ann Appleton, but the
exact day when the young lady made her debut it is not possible to state.
The year which witnessed the happy bridal gathering in the
household of Mr. Lee was preceded by an event which for months cast its dark shadow over
the family circle. In March, 1833, death entered their happy abode, and Eliza, daughter of
Stephen Lee, was laid in the first grave that was made within the bounds of the township.
The earliest instruction given to the youth of the township was
not preceded by the erection of a school-house. A log house was early built by George H.
Emmons, on the banks of the Huron, on section 17, and in this structure Miss Hannah Lee
assembled the children of the neighborhood, and laid for them the foundation of knowledge.
The good work was later continued by Miss Charlotte Farnsworth, now Mrs. J. M. Holden, who
lived at the house of Mr. Hannibal Lee.
Isaac Penoyer purchased 80 acres entered by Moses Gleason, and in
1834 added to it 80 acres on section 19. An earlier settler than he, and a most eccentric
character, was James Love, who located, December, 1832, upon 71 acres on section 20, now
occupied by Carl Woods. George H. Emmons entered 40 acres of land, now embraced in the
farm of Giles Lee, on section 20. The farmers of the township were made happy in 1834 by
the arrival of a blacksmith in their midst, in the person of John. A. Van Camp, who shod
their horses and sharpened the plow-irons, which had been previously carried to Ann Arbor
or Dexter for the purpose.
Linus Clark came from Madison Co., N.Y., in 1833, and located
upon 140 acres that had been previously purchased by his father, Norman Clark, of David
Meach, who made the entry from government It was in the southwest portion of section 26,
and was entirely unimproved. Mr. Clark, however, began immediately the work of clearing
the land and making a home for himself, residing in the mean time with Isaac W. Olds.
Ambrose Alexander entered, in December, 1833, 80 acres on section
8; in June, 1834, 80 acres on section 6; and the same month and year, 40 acres
on section 29. He rode from Orleans Co., N.Y., on
horseback, and arrived on the fifteenth day upon section 8, where he built a log house,
improved the land, and resided there until his removal to Barry County, his present
Cornelius Corson came from Canandaigua, N.Y., with his son, in
1834, and entered 80 acres on section 14. Arriving at Detroit from the East, they hired a
wagon in the city, which conveyed them safely to their destination. Mr. Corson had $100 on
his arrival, with which he purchased land, and nothing was left with which to transport
his family. They possessed, however, the stuff of which the true pioneer is made, and sold
a sufficient amount of their household goods to pay their way. Packing the remainder, they
started for Michigan, and began the life of toil and deprivation which ultimately led to
prosperity. The son, W. D. Corson, now occupies the homestead, and has added to his acres
until they number 320. Arnold Hays came also in 1834, and entered 160 acres adjoining Mr.
Corson. His sons, Whitacre and Schuyler, now occupy the farm.
Jonathan Burnett came in June, 1834, and entered 80 acres on
section 19. Mr. Burnett is a Connecticut man by birth, though Tompkins Co., N.Y., was his
home before emigrating to Michigan. He came with his family via Detroit, and having two
brothers in Hamburg remained with them until he had completed a log house on the land upon
which he has since resided.
Miss Clough, a sister of Mrs. Burnett, was one of the earliest
teachers, having taken charge of the school in Mr. Stephen Lee's neighborhood soon after
Caleb Sawyer and E. W. Brockway each entered 66 acres on section
30, the latter having made his purchase in November, 1833, and the former in May, 1834.
They both erected log houses, and began the process of preparing their land for the
abundant harvests which afterwards rewarded their labors.
In April, 1833, William C. Rumsey entered 120 acres on section 5,
and 40 acres on section 6. In that and the following year Royal C. Rumsey entered 80 acres
on section 5, and 80 on section 10. After a life of industry, which gained him a
competence, he retired to the village of Brighton, where he now resides.
In 1835 occurred the famous Toledo war, involving a question of
boundary, which considerably agitated the people of Green Oak township. A militia company
had been organized, and from this six men were drafted, and prepared themselves for the
fray. No blood was shed, however.
John Hooper left Cayuga Co., N.Y., in 1835, 326.
and subsequently entered 80 acres on section 25. The
first year he broke up 10 acres and made other improvements. Later he added to his estate
until it now embraces 200 acres, a portion of it being on section 6, up on which he
At the annual township election in 1836 the Territorial and State
parties came into conflict on the question of jurisdiction. The Territorial law required a
year's residence in the county and the payment of a tax before voting, and the State law
required but six months residence. The majority of the Board were Territorial men, and a
man who lacked but a month of being a year in the county was deprived of the franchise.
The Supervisor withdrew from the Board, and issued a proclamation in accordance with the
State law, and organizing a board proceeded to a barn and opened the polls (the election
being held at the house of John W. Peavy), the State party, or "barn party" as
it was called by some, casting two-thirds of the township votes. In consequence of this,
the township was provided with two sets of officers, both striving to do their duty,
making out two sets of assessment rolls and other papers necessary for the proper
execution of the law.
At the special election, held September 12th, to elect delegates
to the convention to meet at Ann Arbor to accept or reject the terms of Congress for the
admission of Michigan into the Union, Green Oak held elections in two places and sent up
two canvassers and two poll-lists. William C. Rumsey represented the State party, and
Isaac C. Smith the Territorial as county officers elected under the Territorial law could
not legally canvass votes for State officers, their returns were rejected. A suit in
replevin for the books and papers belonging to the town had been previously brought and
adjourned for three months, the extent of the law. The trial was to occur the next day.
Meanwhile an amicable arrangement was effected; the contest was abandoned, all parties
shaking hands, believing that each had acted in good faith. A harmonious general election
occurred in the township in the following November.
In the year 1826, Jarvis Gage came to the Territory, and in 1837
settled on 120 acres in Green Oak, which he, had entered in 1833. Mr. Gage relates Many
interesting experiences in connection with his early life in the county. He had much to do
with the Indians, who were very numerous at the time of his settlement here, and he
frequently accompanied them on their hunting expeditions. He found them generous,
kind-hearted, and peaceable when not fired by liquor, which the white traders would, in
defiance of law smuggle into their camps.
The first winter of Mr. Gage's arrival they tanned for him
twenty-five deer-skins, the charge for which was two quarts of corn for each
skin. These were converted into clothing, it being not only less expensive but much more
durable than cloth. Mr. Gage still, lives upon the ground he entered from government, and
by industry has brought it to a high state of cultivation.
In July of 1836 there arrived a pioneer from Livingston Co.,
N.Y., who materially influenced the destinies of the township of Green Oak by the
enterprise and perseverance he manifested on his arrival, and, in fact, during the whole
of his business career. This settler was William W. Dean, who now resides upon 200 acres
on section 26. He originally entered 80 acres on section 22, and 40 on section 23. Mr.
Dean was formerly engaged in mercantile pursuits in New York State, at an early day when
the means of transportation for packages of value were not easily obtained as, at present.
The insurance on his stock having expired, he had set apart funds for a renewal of the
policy, and was awaiting the call of a neighbor who was to convey it to its destination.
He forgot the errand, and that night a fire occurred which left not a trace, of his former
possessions. Immediately after this disaster, Mr. Dean set out for the West, entered his
land in Green Oak, and broke up 30 acres. Readily discovering a field for trade in his
neighborhood, he purchased, in connection with James Hanchett, a stock of goods, and
opened what was known as the Green Oak store on section 21, embracing a general assortment
of goods for the country trade. Soon after, he built a saw-mill which supplied the wants
of the country within a radius of many miles, and in one year sawed, 1,500,000 feet of
lumber. After building the sawmill, Mr. Dean found himself in debt to the amount of
$1,500, but with the indomitable energy which is peculiar to him, he soon liquidated this,
and placed the balance on the favorable side of the ledger. In 1840 he began the erection
of a grist-mill, which still does a flourishing business under the management of the
John Farnsworth entered 67 acres of land in July, 1836, and
removed to it with his family, among whom was his son John, who afterwards achieved
distinction in the field of politics, and became a member of Congress. Mr. Farnsworth
later, disposed of his farm to J. M. Holden, and removed to one of the Western States.
Jesse Truesdell, came in 1842, and purchased 160 acres of William
Kernan, on sections 29 and 30. With him came two sons, Zelotes and Gershom, the latter of
whom still occupies the farm, which is mainly devoted to the raising of fruit.
Peter and David Galatian, who occupy a farm 327.
on section 20, arrived in the county with their
father. He at first rented a farm of Bishop Samuel McCoskry, who entered much land in the
neighborhood. Philip Roper left England, his native land, in 1850, and four years later
purchased 100 acres on section 28. Though occupied, at a late period the land was still
unimproved. Mr. Roper built a log house, and in 1874 erected his present substantial home.
Among others who entered land in the township at an early date
were John W. Peavy, who purchased 88, acres on section 2, in May, 1833; John S. Beach,
Joseph Cole, and Elihu Russel, who entered land on the same section in 1835; Joseph L.
Briggs, Wm. Russel, Samuel Cole, and Ansel Clark, who entered land on section 3, and
became residents; and J. Harrison Coe, who entered 80 acres on the same section and one
adjoining, and later removed to Brighton, where he introduced the combined thresher and
separator now in general use among farmers throughout the county.
Horace Cutter entered 80 acres on section 7 in 1834, and Orlando
Fuller 147 acres on the same section the following year. Ira Jennings entered land on
sections 8 and 9 in 1836, and Isaac Smith on the same sections four years earlier. Terence
Roe entered 80 acres on section 9 in 1836, and Jason Clark 200 acres on the same section
Warren Parker, Thomas Hanmer, Enos Cole, and Gilbert Bedell were
pioneers on section 11; Patrick McManus, Michael Casey, and Patrick Brady came to the
county in 1834, and located on section 15. George H. Emmons and George Burnett purchased
on section 20; and Oliver Carpenter, in 1832, entered 40 acres on section 21; Richard
Torrey and William Hagadorn bought each 40 acres on section 24; Leroy H. Burt entered 40
acres on section 28 in 1836; Edward F. Olds, 120 on the same section in 1833; Gilbert C.
Bedell, on the same section, 80 acres in 1836; and Henry Stansell, 40 acres the same year.
Levi Knight bought 80 acres on section 29 in October, 1836. Jason De Wolf entered, in
October, 1834, 40 acres on section 30.
Thomas Tuthill purchased 80 acres on section 31 in 1833; George
Galloway, 80 acres the same year; and Caleb S. Field, 40 acres, in 1836, on the same
John Garrison entered 120 acres on section 32 in 1837; and E. S.
Field, Isaac Eta, and J. L. Tuthill land on the same section. Manly Smith entered, in
November, 1831, 80 acres on section 35; and Thomas, Malone, 120 acres on section 36 in
1836. These, gentlemen all settled and resided upon their lands. Much land was taken up by
other parties for purposes of speculation.
The following is an alphabetical list of the resident
tax-payers in the township of Green Oak in the year 1844: (re-alphabetized by Webmaster)
||Hooper, Peter B.
||Hotaling, William C.
|Beach, John S.
|Bedell, Gilbert C.
|Bennett, Cornelius H.
||Jennings, Joseph F.
|Bingham & Warden
|Borden, Ambrose W.
|Brady, Garnet E.
|Brady, M. McCabe
|Brown, James M.
|Brockway, Elisha W.
|Butterfield, Abel F.
|Carter, John C.
||McCoskry, Samuel A.
|Clement, John P.
||Olds, Alonzo W.
||Perry, Arthur B.
|Dean, William W.
||Rumsey, Royal C.
||Russell, William S.
|Farnsworth, James P.
|Fish & Quackenbush
|Field, Eldad S.
||Smith, Harry P.
||Spencer, James S.
||Stuart, Hiram C.
|Hammond, John L.
||Tuttle, John L.
||Yerington, John, Jr.
|Holden, Joseph M.
The Green Oak post-office is located on
section 26, where there is located a grist-mill and saw-mill owned by William W.
Weatherhead, who is the postmaster.
The soil of the township of Green Oak is a mixture of clay and
gravel, clay predominating in the southwest portion. There is comparatively little
timbered land that can be made available, though much of the ground is covered by what
maybe termed a second growth. The surface is undulating, though to a less extent than is
apparent in some of the adjoining townships, and is dotted with many small lakes, chief
among which are Silver Lake Island Lake, Whitmore Lake (the northern portion of which lies
in Green Oak), Maltby Lake, Thomas Lake, Mud Lake, half of Fonda Lake, and Crooked Lake.
The Huron River enters the northeast corner of the township, flows in a southwest
direction, and leaves it from the west side at section 26. The south branch of the Huron
enters the southeast corner of the township, and joins the main waters at the northwest
corner of section 21.
The Detroit, Lansing and Northern Railroad enters the township at
the southeast corner of section 13, runs diagonally across, and leaves it at section 5.
The station is named Green Oak Station, and is located on section 11. At this point are
the depot, freight-house, and a small store, and all trains stop upon signal.
The following-named persons were the original purchasers of land
embraced within the township limits: (re-alphabetized by webmaster)
|A. Alexander, December, 1833
|Ambrose Alexander, June, 1834
|Ruth Alexander and heirs, January, 1833
|John S. Beach, August, 1835
|G. C. Bedell, November, 1835
|G. C. Bedell, January, 1836
|Alonzo Bennett, May, 1835
|Kingsley S. Bingham October, 1835
|Asa Bly, Jr, June, 1834
|Mathew Brady, July, 1836
|J. L. Briggs, May, 1833
|Phoebe Burnett, July, 1836
|Oliver Carpenter, May, 1836
|William Case, May, 1840
|John Charles, December, 1836
|Ansel Clark, July, 1835
|Ansel Clark, July, 1835
|Ansel Clark, July, 1835
|Jason Clark, June, 1835
|Jason Clark, November, 1835
|J. P. Clement, May, 1834
|Harrison Coe, May 1836
|Harrison Coe May, 1836
|Joseph Cole, October, 1835
|Samuel Cole, May, 1835
|Augustus Colton, May, 1835
|E. B. Cornish, July, 1832
|E. B. Cornish, August, 1832
Corrigan, May, 1834
|Peleg Cory, June, 1832
|Stephen Curtis, June, 1836
|Horace Cutter, October, 1834
|Horace Cutter, October, 1836
|John Dally, April. 1833
|C. M. Eaton, December, 1834
|T. B. Edmonds, February, 1837
|T. B. Edmonds, March, 1837
|Elon Farnsworth, November, 1833
|John Farnsworth, July, 1836
|Mary Fuller, June, 1835
|O. A. Fuller, June, 1815
|James Gage, October, 1833
|John Gates, August, 1836
|Alanson Glazier, June, 1832
|George W. Glover, May, 1833
|Elihu Gunnison, June, 1832
|John Hagadorn, May, 1834
|Thomas Hanmer, June, 1832
|James Harwick, April, 1836
|H. Hawkins and V. R. Hawkins, July, 1836
Jr., November, 1835
|F. A. House, November, 1834
|W. B. Hopkins, December, 1831
|A. Hubbard, May, 1834
|Samuel Hubbard, June, 1833
|Ira Jennings, June, 1836
|Ira Jennings, June, 1836
|Ira Jennings, June, 1836
|Ira Jennings, June, 1836
|Ira Jennings, December, 1836
|David Kingsbury, September, 1835
|David Kingsbury, October, 1834
|Joseph Loree, June, 1832
|Joseph Loree, October, 1835
|Samuel McCoskry, January, 1845
|Patrick McNamee, August, 1836
|Ephraim Meech, April, 1837
|Harry Meech, April, 1837
|Harry Meech, April, 1837
|A. G. Melvin, October, 1835
|John C. Mundy, July, 1833
|J. J. M. Newcomb, July, 1836
|Jay Olmsted, June, 1832
|Warren Parker June, 1832
|John W. Peavy, May, 1833
|C. W. Penny, February, 1837
|Royal C. Ramsey, June, 1831
|R. C. Ramsey, November, 1834
|Joel Redway, October, 1832
|Joel Redway, October, 1832
|Guy N. Roberts, May, 1834
|Guy N. Roberts, May, 1835
|Michael Roche, August, 1832
|Patrick Roe, June, 1832
|Terence Roe, November, 1833
|Terence Roe, October, 1836
|Terence Roe, October, 1836
|R. C. Rumsey, November, 1834
|R. C. Rumsey, January, 1836
|W. C. Rumsey, April, 1833
|Wm. C. Rumsey, April, 1833
|Elihu Russel, November, 1835
|W. S. Russel, May, 1833
Russel, October, 1835
|N. O. Sargent, December, 1833
|Sylvester Scott, November, 1832
|Nathan Seland, May; 1833
|Erastus Slude July, 1836
|Isaac Smith, December, 1832
|Isaac Smith, Jr., December, 1832
|Katharine Smith, February, 1836
|John Soule, December, 1854
|Charles Steward, November, 1834
|Ebenezer Thomas, June, 1836
|H. S. Thomas, June, 1847
|Richard Toncray, December, 1834
|J. A. Van Camp, September 1835
|Robert Worden, October, 1835
Photo by Jensen, Howell
Mrs. LINUS CLARK
Linus Clark. Among the pioneers of Green Oak none
deserve more prominent mention than the gentleman whose name heads this sketch. He was
born in the, town of Lenox, Madison Co., N.Y., Feb. 26, 1813. His parents, Norman and
Catherine (Moot) Clark, were farmers, and had a family of nine children, --six boys and
three girls. The elder Clark was a self-made man, successful in business, and of more than
ordinary energy and determination. Benevolence was a prominent trait in his character, and
in the Presbyterian Church, of which he was an honored member, he held a conspicuous
position, His wife was one of those prudent and thrifty housewives, the acme of her
ambition being to provide for her household, and to rear her children in such a way that
they would become useful and honorable members of society.
Linus lived with his father until he attained his majority,
alternating his summer's work on the farm with the usual term at the district school in
winter. In 1833 he came to Green Oak, and settled upon a tract of land of one hundred and
forty acres, which his father had previously purchased. This land is a portion of his
present farm, a view of which we present on another page.
In 1835, Mr. Clark was married to Miss Phoebe, daughter of Henry
Stansell, one of the early settlers of Plymouth, Wayne Co., Mich. After their marriage
they moved into a log house, and commenced the improvement of their farm. Mrs. Clark, like
her husband, was prudent and industrious and success attended their efforts.
Working together, they acquired a competency.
In their religious belief Mr. and Mrs. Clark were Free-Will
Baptists. In 1844 he, with seventeen others, founded the Baptist Church of Green Oak; and
of the original eighteen Mr. and Mrs. Deacon Loomis and himself are the only ones now
living. Mr. Clark has always manifested a deep interest in educational matters, and has
been a liberal supporter of educational interests. He was one of the founders of Hillsdale
College, to which he has made generous donations. In his political affiliations he was
formerly a Whig, and identified himself with the Republican party upon its formation. He
was a strong anti-slavery man. One of the salient points in the character of Mr. Clark is
his uncompromising hostility to everything he believes to be wrong. His opinions are
formed with deliberation, and when reached are held with tenacity.
As a business man he is possessed of quick perception, an
intuitive knowledge of men and things, and consequently has been successful in his
operations. This, however, has not been confined to the accumulation of property; he has
established an enviable reputation for integrity and those qualities which alone can
render the position he holds among his fellow-men attainable.
Mr. Clark has had two children --by adoption, Richard A.
Stansell, who lost his life in the defense of his country at the battle of Chickamauga,
and Delia, now Mrs. David Page.
Linus Clark, Green Oak Mich