and for several years managed its business, but in
1841 disposed of the property to Robert D. and Chauncey L. Crouse. With the arrival of
these active business men begins. the era of commercial enterprise in the little village,
and the growth and prosperity of the place is largely indebted to their presence. Robert
D. Crouse came to the State in 1832, and to Hartland in 1842 In connection with the mills,
he purchased a large tract of land, and also kept a store with a general stock. This store
enjoyed a large trade, and was for a long time a depot for much of the traffic of the
township. Mr. Crouse was also one of, the stockholders of the East Saginaw Salt
Manufacturing Company, and erected in the city of Saginaw the first block of stores,
called after him the Crouse Block. Chauncey L. was the brother and partner of Robert D.,
and was intimately associated with him in his business enterprises. He also became a
resident here in 1842.
The village contains one tavern, kept by Asa Parshall; one
tin-shop, owned by L. Hurlbert; two dry-goods stores, the proprietors of which are Crouse
& Co. and W. R. Gannon respectively, both of whom keep, in connection with dry goods,
a general stock adapted to country trade; one drugstore, kept by H. Cullen; a general
store, by O. B. Chambers; a harness-shop, by O. Bowles, and a boot and shoe-store, by
George Darling. The grist-mill which was built by Amos F. Albright, and was afterwards the
property of the Crouse brothers, is now owned by V. Parshall & Son. There is also a
foundry in the village, which was built in 1849, by Lyman Bishop. In 1855 it was purchased
by C. A. Weaver, who conducted it until 1860, when it was disposed of to Hildebrant &
Carl. The foundry is now owned by Sanford Hildebrant, and manufactures plows, scrapers,
and other implements used in farming. There are also three blacksmith-shops, owned by R.
Drulard, F. Steadman, and A. McDunagh.
There are three physicians in Hartland Centre, Drs. William M.
Hayford, Murphy, and J. J. Boyd, --the latter of whom represents the Homoeopathic school
of practice. The village also contains a flourishing school, under the direction of Prof.
The First Congregational
Church of Hartland Centre was organized April, 1844, in a
school-house in the immediate vicinity. Eight persons united to form
this new society,--six having letters from other churches and two
uniting by profession.
They were Myron Lovell, Caroline Lovell, John P. Kellogg,
Ann J. Kellogg,
Marvin, Margaret Lennon Sophia Clark, Charles Williamson.
The Rev. Albert Worthington, of Milford, Oakland Co., was the
officiating minister, and continued to be their pastor for two years,--coming once in four
weeks to preach to them. Two months after the organization of the church two more persons
united by profession of faith. The church records are then silent until Feb. 21, 1847,
when the Rev, A. Smith, also of Milford, preached and administered the sacrament of the
Lord's Supper; at this date five persons united with the church by letter.
Rev. Mr. Waterbury came July 8, 1849 (from what place the records
do not state), and preached and administered the Lord's Supper,--four persons uniting with
the church at this date. Rev. Mr. Ackley, of Howell, preached Oct. 29, 1849, and
administered the Lord's Supper,--four uniting by letter. Mr. Ackley soon after became
their pastor for one year. After this the church had no pastor or stated preaching until
the autumn of 1851, when the Rev. E. T. Branch, who had just completed a long pastorate at
Genesee, became the pastor and continued his labors for two years, Both himself and wife
were earnest church-workers, doing good, administering comfort to the afflicted, and
causing every one to feel that in them they had sincere friends.
The Sabbath-school (which at that time was a union school) was
very prosperous during their residence here. All classes were gathered in and became
interested in the study of the Bible. Mrs. Branch organized the first Ladies' Home
Missionary Society in this place, which was a success; not only were the individuals
themselves who thus met benefited, but funds accumulated with which to furnish the
After Mr. Branch's pastorate the church records are silent
until Nov. 3, 1860, a period of seven years. During that interval, however, Rev. Mr.
Goodell was pastor of the church one year, and occasional preaching was had by ministers
who were pastors of neighboring Congregational Churches. During that time, also, in the
summer of 1858, their present house of worship was built, the cost of building being
$1800. This church was fully paid for and free from debt, and was also very well furnished
by the ladies of the church and congregation at the time it was dedicated, December, 1858.
Rev. Mr. Greely, of Grand Rapids, was present on that occasion, and preached the
dedicatory sermon. Myron Lovell was their first church clerk,--chosen to that office when
the church was organized, and continuing to act in that capacity until February, 1847.
Their second clerk was Daniel Rich, elected to the office in 1847, and filling the
position until his death. 370.
spring of 1860 the Rev. M. C. Stanley became the pastor, and
remained with the church one year. At the close of his pastorate the
Rev. W. W. Robson, of Worth, in this State, became the pastor. He
was an able Biblical scholar, and brought well-beaten oil into the
sanctuary. Seven persons united with the church while he was
pastor,--five by letter and two by profession. His labors with the
church closed October, 1863.
Nothing more is shown by the records until 1868, when the Rev. C.
N. Coulter became pastor, and also filled the office of clerk during his stay of one year.
Henry Bishop was the fourth clerk, chosen 1869, and held the office until his removal from
this place, in 1873. Amos Beebe was the next or fifth clerk for three years, at the
expiration of which time Miss S. A. Griffin was chosen clerk, and continues to hold the
office at the present date.
Rev. W. B. Williams visited this church in 1872, and held
meetings for four weeks, preaching every evening, and being assisted by the Rev. Mr.
Crane. Soon after the close of these meetings twenty persons united with the church. At
that time the Union Sunday-school was divided, each church having a separate school. The
Congregational school purchased a large library, and also a fine organ.
Rev. H. H. Crane was their pastor in 1868, commencing his labors
soon after the protracted meeting closed, and remaining one year. The church was then
without a pastor until October, 1874. At that date the Rev. R. W. Fletcher, of Jackson, an
earnest, faithful worker, became the pastor. During his stay the edifice was very
thoroughly repaired and greatly beautified.
The first Woman's Foreign Missionary Society of this church was
organized during that year, Mrs. Fletcher taking the lead in the work. It is still doing a
During the summer of 1876 the church was without a settled
clergyman, but in the autumn of that year the Rev. Mr. Osborne, of Augusta, Hillsdale Co.,
became their pastor, he occupying this field two years, preaching also in Tyrone each
Sabbath afternoon, at which place he organized a Congregational Church.
He was followed by Rev. D. A. Strong, of Fredonia, N.Y., who
commenced his labors Oct. 20, 1878. He has labored both here and at Tyrone, being pastor
of both churches. His work has been very successful, and large numbers have been added to
both churches. This society has, from the very first, kept itself free from debt. The
estimated value of church property at the present date is $2000.
METHODIST EPISCOPAL CHURCH
Methodist Episcopal Church of Hartland Centre embraces 69 members,
and is at present in charge of Rev. N. J. Lyon. The church
building,, which is owned by the society, is a substantial
structure, costing about $2500. An effort by the writer to obtain a
complete history of the church has proved unsuccessful.
This active little hamlet
lies in the extreme northwest corner of Hartland, and, though the
larger portion may be claimed as belonging to the township named, a
sufficient portion lies in Tyrone to entitle it to a share of the
honor. As in many villages of much larger proportions, the
waterpower which the site afforded was the nucleus around which the
village was built, it having offered a very attractive prospect to
the first settler and founder of the place, Isaac Parshall, and
induced him to cast his fortunes in this portion of Hartland in 1834. Having surveyed the
country carefully, and discovered the opportunities that North Ore Creek offered to a man
of enterprise, he immediately entered 400 acres of land, which included the
Later, Mr. Parshall began the erection of a saw and grist-mill,
but did not at once settle upon his property. He returned to his home in the East, and in
1837 had fully determined to cast his fortunes with the pioneers of Hartland. A mill had
previously been built by Calvin Bussey in 1835, one mile south, of Parshallville, on
section 8. It was upon North Ore Creek, and had sawed much of the timber, during its brief
existence, that had been used in the construction of the rude houses and barns of that
early day. Later it was bought by Wm. Smith, and its quaint ruins are still seen on the
banks of the creek as the traveler passes on his way to Brighton.
Having in 1835 erected a frame house and made some improvements
in the surrounding land, Mr. Parshall, when he became a resident in 1837, found a wide and
inviting field for his energies. He was also a blacksmith, and added to the occupations of
miller and farmer the reputation of shoeing a horse as well as any smithy in the county.
Mr. Parshall did not entirely monopolize the field, however, but encouraged John Roberts
at an early day to embark in trade. He built a small store on the west side, and filled it
with a general assortment of goods suitable to the country trade, and enjoyed the honor of
having been the first merchant in the village.
The west side was not, however, to absorb all the business
enterprise of the place, and soon a
similar store was built and opened by Austin Wakeman
on the east side. The house built by Parshall was just east of the creek and opposite the
mill. Soon after his arrival he induced the government to establish a post-office, of
which he was postmaster, the office being in his own house. He had at this time a near
neighbor in a Mr. Lewis, who came about the same date, and built a log house within sight
of his own home. The hamlet having made a courageous beginning soon grew in size, until a
neat little village is the result. It has never been incorporated, its size not warranting
such a procedure. It now contains a post-office, of which J. S. Griswold is postmaster;
two stores, containing a general stock and kept by Griswold & Norbert and W. & I.
Hetcheler; a shoe-shop, by Albert White; four blacksmith shops, owned by George Hasper,
Ezra Chamberlain, Robert Bryant, and Henry Shaver; a foundry, of which E. Chamberlain is
proprietor, which manufactures plows, sleigh-shoes, and castings of all kinds for
agricultural use, and has a considerable patronage from the neighboring farmers; a
wagon-shop, kept by Orlando Galt; a paint-shop, kept by Irving Johnson; and a
cheese-factory, which is not managed after the ordinary method of a stock company, but is
owned and controlled by Jacob S. Griswold, who was a native of Chemung, Co., N.Y., and
emigrated with his father to Hartland in 1836. He entered mercantile life at the age of
twenty-one, and in 1853 purchased land and devoted himself to farming pursuits, making the
raising of fine stock a specialty. The beeves shipped by Mr. Griswold were conceded to be
the finest ever raised in the county. He has also been the postmaster at Parshallville
since 1857, with the exception of two years. Mr. Griswold takes an active interest in the
growth of the township, and has held many responsible offices.
Parshallville also boasts a graded school. The building is a
frame one, located upon an eminence from which is obtained a commanding view of the
surrounding country. It is under the direction of Harrison Dunham, with Miss Nellie
Britton as assistant. A plat of the village has never been made, all descriptions being
dependent upon measurements and boundaries for accuracy.
The Parshallville Mills are located upon the site of those
formerly built by Isaac Parshall, on North Ore Creek, and are owned by Walker &
Browning, who both being occupied with their farming interests, intrust their management
to the head miller, John Symons. The building was erected by Daniel Townley, in 1871, and
purchased by the present firm in February, 1877. It derives its power from the creek upon
which it is located, and employs four run of stone in its grinding process, Its ordinary
capacity is fifty barrels per day. Much feed is ground at the mills, and a large share of
custom patronage is also afforded them.
THE BAPTIST CHURCH PARSHALLVILLE*
held its first meeting in
the log house of James S. Webber, now residing at East Saginaw, on
Feb. 25, 1837, of which Rev.Nehemiah Lamb was
chosen moderator, and Rev. Aroswell Lamb (son of Rev. Nehemiah Lamb clerk. At that meeting
it was voted to unite in conference, and Articles of Faith and a Church Covenant were
At the second meeting, held March 25, 1837, tell persons gave in
their letters as follows: Rev. Nehemiah Lamb, Rev. Aroswell Lamb and Phoebe Lamb, his
wife, Isaac Parshall and Seraphina, his wife, James S. Webber and Phoebe, his wife. and
Levi, Rebecca, and Elizabeth Andrus. James S. Webber was chosen permanent clerk, Rev.
Nehemiah Lamb, permanent moderator, and Rev. Aroswell Lamb, assistant, to serve in the
absence of his father.
The conference was recognized as a regular Baptist Church, April
26, 1837, by a Council representing the churches of Highland, Walled Lake, and Farmington,
together with the Rev. Mr. Jones, of the township of Rose, and the Revs. Nehemiah Lamb and
Aroswell Lamb, of Hartland.
On the same day Patience, Rhoda, and Content Lamb, Elizabeth
Roberts, Betsey Townley, and James L. Andrews were received as members, increasing the
number to 16.
Levi Andrus was chosen deacon April 29th, and Mrs. Westervelt was
baptized June 25th, in a small brook running across the farms of James S, Webber and Rev.
Aroswell Lamb, a dam having been made near the line on sections 8 and 9. She was the first
person ever baptized by a Baptist minister in the town of Hartland.
Between April 26, 1837, when the church was recognized, and June
27, 1841, 70 persons were added to the church, as follows:
By Letter.---Hannah Lamb, Caroline Washburn,
Alanson Olds, Jane Olds, Orson Stephens, Grace S. Stephens, William D. Snapp, Elizabeth
Snapp, James Hills, Azuba Bryan, Amos F. Albright, John J. Blackmer, Harvey R. Stephens,
Hannah Ann Gale, Solomon Gue, Joanna Gue, Elanor Perry, Rebecca Bunsey, Lavina Hills,
Marietta Albright, Samuel Cole, Prudence Cole, Eli Cranston, Sena Mason, Palmer Cranston,
Mary Cranston, Elizabeth Cranston, Mary Angas, Emily Clark, Polly Roberts, Joseph Cole,
Elizabeth Cole, Barbara Wall, Catharine Van Camp, John Garfield, Mary Garfield, Bethawa
Littlefield, Hannah Ann Stephens; total, 38.
By, Baptism.--Roxana Westervelt, Susan Roberts,
Job L. Bullock, Nelson Roberts, Harvey R Stephens Debborah Ann 372.
Haynes, Nathan Cole, Lucettia Townley, Esther
M. Cole, Benjamin R. Townley, George Townley, Andrew Townley, Malon Van Camp, William L.
Webber, Ira Erastus Thayer, John Blackburn, Eliza Townley, Mary Mason, Martha Van Camp,
Isaac T. Cole, Austin Burnett, Eliza Beach, Ada J. Cole, Elizabeth Cassada, Peter Rese,
Israel Parshall, Daniel Townley, Minerva Parshall, Delia Chamberlin, Fanny E. Van Camp;
Added by Experience.-Beriah G, Smith and Betsey
Smith, who came from the Seventh-Day Baptists; total 2.
Adding the 16 original members who were first recognized as a
Baptist Church, we have a grand total of 86 persons. During the same period two persons --
Patience Lamb and Deacon Levi Andrews -- died; 12 persons were dismissed by letter, and 1
excluded, leaving a membership of 71, on June 27, 1841.
Rev. Nehemiah Lamb remained in Hartland more than a year after
the organization of the church, co-operating with his son, Rev. Aroswell Lamb.
After his removal, Rev. A. Lamb continued in charge of the church
until the summer of 1856 making a continued pastorate of nearly nineteen and one-half
During this time, however, owing to the feeble health of the
pastor, Rev. J. H. Rasco was called to his assistance for one year, and a young man, not
ordained, named Stark, assisted him for a period of several months.
Unfortunately, the records were burned a few years since, and no
official record of the progress of the church from June, 1841, to the date of the fire is
at hand. Thus it is not practicable to obtain details of the history for a period of
nearly thirty years.
It may be said, however, that for many years the divine service
was held in the Smith school-house, on section 5, in Hartland. Later the services were
transferred to the school-house at Parshallville, and were there held until the present
church edifice was completed in 1855.
In the erection of the church edifice, a very substantial brick
structure, 36 by 50 feet in size, Deacon Isaac Parshall was a leading spirit.
Being a man of means and energy, he hired the workmen, purchased
the material, personally supervised every part of the work, and paid the bills, with the
exception of about $300 or $400, until the work was completed.
When finished--it having been erected upon his own land--he
deeded the property to the trustees of the church and society, and the seats--having been
sold at public auction--he deeded to the individuals who purchased them. The sale of seats
realized an amount nearly sufficient to repay the deacon for his outlay.
A. Lamb was born in Prattsburg, N.Y., in April, 1810 and removed to Farmington, Mich., in 1821 or 1822. About
a year later he settled on a farm near the east line of Livonia, in Wayne County, and
officiated in the Redford Church four years, when, in the latter part of the year 1836, he
exchanged his land in Livonia for the farm on section 8, in Hartland, on which lie lived
for twenty years.
During his pastorate of the church in Hartland, now known as the
Parshallville Church, he received only a partial support from his ministerial labors; but
by careful management and personal labor on his farm, combined with teaching, he was able
to rear his family and improve his farm, so that, upon his removal in 1866, he left one of
the most attractive homes in the township. After a pastorate of nearly twenty years he
left the church with a membership of 145 and a fine church edifice, practically out of
debt. His field of labor was very large, extending from Linden and Fenton on the north to
White Lake on the east, Brighton on the south, and Oceola and Deerfield on the west and
northwest. Shortly after his resignation at Hartland he was called to the charge of the
Baptist Church at Salem, Washtenaw Co., where he continued to labor until his death in
The church has been in charge of the following persons as pastors
or stated supplies since Mr. Lamb's pastorate, 1856: Rev. Mr. Adams, 1856-57, one year;
Rev. Mr. Atwood, term not certain, probably two years; Rev. Mr. Conklin, stated supply for
some months; Rev. J. H. Rares, for one year; Rev. H. Stowitts, from 1862 or 1863 to 1865;
Rev. P. C. Dayfoot, from 1855 to 1868; Rev. Wm. White, from 1868 to 1870; Rev. S.
Gardiner, from 1870 or 1871 to 1872; Rev. Mr. Lyon for a few months; Rev. Samuel Smith,
from 1873 to 1875; Rev. D. Gastellow, from 1876 to 1879; Rev. Isaac W. Lamb, began in May,
The church and society now own a fine brick edifice with about an
acre of land attached, and twelve good stalls in their shed. The society have also a
parsonage with a half-acre of ground attached, which was the gift by will of Deacon
When the first general effort was made to endow Kalamazoo College
in 1863, the Hartland Church raised more than $1600 for that purpose, of which Deacon
Parshall and his estimable wife, since deceased, gave $1100.
The church has been from its beginning hearty in its support of
the various missionary, educational , and other benevolent Christian enterprises.
Its present officers are: Pastor, Rev. Isaac W. Lamb; Deacons, M.
D. Bracle, S. E. Dean, Vincent Parshall;
373. Clerk, Wells Avery; Treasurer, Marie Bracle.
METHODIST EPISCOPAL CHURCH
There is also in Parshallville a flourishing Methodist
Episcopal Church with a large membership, and owning a church edifice which cost about
$2000. Its present pastor is Rev. E. Dawe.
Repeated efforts on the part of the historian to obtain facts
with regard to it have met no response.
The following is a list
of the township officers:
||Eli Lee, Supervisor; Josiah T. Clark, Township Clerk;
Erastus J. Smith, Treasurer; Norman Brainard, Samuel Mapes Dennis Whalen, William Kinney,
Justices of the Peace; Josiah T. Clark, James Whalen, School Inspectors.
||Elias Lee, Supervisor; John G. Horton, Township Clerk;
Erastus J. Smith, Treasurer; Carman Holmes, Norman Brainard, Dennis Whalen, Isaac Cornell,
Justices of the Peace; Orman Holmes, James Whalen, Josiah T. Clark, School lnspectors,.
Blackburn, Supervisor; John G. Horton, Township Clerk; William E.
Huntley, Treasurer; Norman Brainard, Austin Wakeman, Justices of the
Peace; Amos F. Albright, Edward Davidson, James Whalen, School
Supervisor; John G. Hortori, Township Clerk; Amos F. Albright,
Treasurer; John J. Blackburn, Justice of the Peace; John Roberts, Amos
F. Albright, James Whalen, School Inspectors.
Supervisor; George J. Griffin, Township Clerk; Orman Holmes, Treasurer;
Orman Holmes, John J. Rice, Justices of the Peace; Edward J. Davidson,
Menzo W. Smith, George J. Griffin, School Inspectors.
Supervisor; John G. Horton Township Clerk; Freeman Near, Treasurer
Austin Wakeman, Justice of the Peace; James Whalen, Samuel T. Mudge,
Edward J. Davidson, School Inspectors.
Horton Supervisor; Horace B. Hubbard, TownShip Clerk; William E.
Huntley, Treasurer; Norman Brainard, Justice of the Peace; Samuel T.
Mudge, Edward J. Davidson, George J. Griffin, School Inspectors.
Griffin Supervisor; John J. Rice, Township Clerk; William E. Huntley,
Treasurer; Ira C. Hathaway way, Justice of the Peace; Josiah T. Clark,
Robert Crouse, School Inspectors.
Horton, Supervisor; John J. Rice, Township Clerk; John Wood, Treasurer;
Orman Holmes, Justice of the Peace; Hiram Mapes, Samuel T. Mudge School
Huntley, Supervisor; Moses B. Hess, Township Clerk; John Wood,
Treasurer; John J. Rice, Justice of the Peace; Charles Ross, Josiah T.
Clark, School Inspectors.
Horton, Supervisor; George J. Griffin, Township Clerk; John Wood,
Treasurer; Ledward Flint, Justice of the Peace; Henry S. Worthington,
Jacob S. Griswold, School Inspectors.
Wood, Supervisor; David Rich, Town Clerk; Erastus J.
Smith Treasurer; Hiram Mapes, Justice of the Peace;
Edward Davidson, School Inspector.
||John Wood, Supervisor; George J. Griffin, Township Clerk;
John G. Horton, Treasurer; Orman Holmes, Justice of the Peace; Robert Crouse, School
||David Rich, Supervisor; David Atwood, Township Clerk; Orman
Holmes, Treasurer; John J. Rice, O. B. Chambers, Justices of the Peace; George J. Griffin,
Hiram Mapes, School Inspectors.
||John Wood, Supervisor; David Atwood, Township Clerk; Orman
Holmes Treasurer; Rufus Tenney, William Smith, Justices of the Peace; Henry Worthington,
||John Wood, Supervisor; H. Mercer, Township Clerk; Hiram R.
Scollard, Treasurer; David Rich, Ledyard Flint, Henry Griswold, Edward Davidson, Justices
of the Peace; Samuel T. Mudge, School Inspector.
Supervisor; Charles H. K. Warren, Township Clerk; Hiram R. Scollard,
Treasurer; Edward Davidson, Justice of the Peace; Henry Brockway,
Charles Ross, School Inspectors.
||Josiah Whalen, Supervisor; Henry S. Worthington, School
Inspector; Nelson Stevens, Township Clerk; Hiram R. Scollard, Treasurer.
||Gcorge J. Griffin, Supervisor; Albert L. Hathaway, Township
Clerk; Samuel Mapes, Jr., Treasurer; Calvin Townley, Adnah Lewis, Justices of the Peace;
Charles H. K. Warren, School Inspector.
||George J. Griffin, Supervisor; Albert L. Hathaway, Township
Clerk; S. A. Stuart, Treasurer; Henry Griswold, Henry S. Worthington, Justices of the
Charles Ross, School Inspector.
||Orman Holmes, Supervisor; Albert L. Hathaway, Township
Clerk; Stephen A. Stuart, Treasurer; Daniel Rich, William C. Ferry, Justices of the Peace;
C. H. K. Warren, School Inspector.
||O. B. Chambers, Supervisor; Albert L. Hathaway, Township
Clerk; Jacob Carl, Treasurer; Edward Davidson, Justice of the Peace; William M. Hayford,
||Jacob S. Griswold, Supervisor; Albert L. Hathaway, Township
Clerk; Jacob Carl, Treasurer; Nelson Stevens, L. L. Armstrong, Justices of the Peace; W.
S. Smith, School Inspector.
Crouse, Supervisor; Albert L. Hathaway, Township Clerk; Earl E. Walton,
Treasurer; David B. Mason, Silas Bullard, Justices of the Peace; Frank
Sweet, School Inspector.
||Henry P. Crouse, Supervisor; Albert L. Hathaway, Township
Clerk; John Wallace, Treasurer; David Rich, Stephen Hungerford, Elisha G. Smith, Justices
of the Peace; John B. Tyrrell, School Inspector.
||Lorenzo S. Armstrong, Supervisor; Sanford Hildebrant,
Township Clerk; John Wallace, Treasurer; Elisha G. Smith, Ephraim Hubbell, Justices of the
Peace; Frank Sweet, School Inspector.
||O. B. Chambers, Supervisor; Albert L. Hathaway, Township
Clerk; Hugh Cullen, Treasurer; Ephraim Hubbell, George A. Whitehead, Justices of the
Peace; Newton T. Kirk, School Inspector.
||Ira Knight, Supervisor; Henry Crouse, Township Clerk; Wm.
F. Lemen, Treasurer; Lyman Bishop, Van R. Durfee, Hiram R. Scollard, Justices of the
Peace; Morgan L. Andrus, School Inspector.
||Ira Knight, Supervisor; Henry Crouse, Township Clerk;
Charles H. Mercer, Treasurer; Van R. Durfee, Justice of the Peace; Charles Rose, School
||Giles Ross, Supervisor; Joseph Blinston, Township Clerk;
Samuel Mapes, Treasurer; James Gleason, Justice of the Peace; William M. Hayford, School
||John Wood, Supervisor; John B. Crouse, Township Clerk;
Hiram R. Scollard, Treasurer; Furman B. Clark, Justice of the Peace; Newton T. Kirk,
Griswold, Supervisor; Newton T. Kirk, Township Clerk;
Thomas N. Jones, Treasurer; John Dunham, Justice of the
Peace; Allen C. Wright, School Inspector. 374.
Crouse, Supervisor; Wilkes S. Stuart, Township
Clerk; Amos J. Bebee, Treasurer; Elisha G. Smith, William T. Seaman,
Justices of the Peace; Albert L. Hathaway, School Inspector.
|| Treasurer ; James Gleason, Justice of the Peace; Orman Holmes, J.
W. Worthington, School Inspectors.
||John Wood, Supervisor; Wilkes S. Stuart, Township Clerk;
Henry Nichols, Treasurer; Benjamin R. Townley, Justice of the Peace; Justin W.
Worthington, School Inspector.
||Justin W. Worthington, Supervisor; William M. Chambers,
Township Clerk; Peter Fahey, Treasurer; O. B. Chamber,, Robert McCall, Justices of the
Peace; William H. Hayford, School Inspector.
Stark, Supervisor; James C. Campbell, Township Clerk;
Charles H. Stevens, Treasurer; John Dunham Chauncey A. Weaver, Justices of the
Peace; Justin W. Worthington, School Inspector.
||Justin W. Worthington, Supervisor; Major H. Lemen,
Township Clerk; Jacob S. Griswold, Treasurer; James
Gleason, Justice of the Peace; Harry S. Myers, School Inspector.
Lorenzo L. Armstrong, Supervisor; Z. E. Chambers, Township
Clerk; Asa Parshall, Treasurer; Herman W. Clark, Justice of the Peace; William M. Hayford,
J. W. Worthington, School Inspectors.
L. Armstrong, Supervisor; Herman W. Clark, Township
Clerk; Wilkes S. Stuart, Treasurer; Jacob S. Griswold, Nathaniel Ethridge,
Justices of the Peace; Harry S. Myers, Superintendent of
Schools; Newton T. Kirk, School Inspector.
||Lorenzo L. Armstrong, Supervisor; Frank J. Birdsall,
Township Clerk; Squire Verselius, Treasurer; John Dunham, Justice of the Peace; Harty S.
Myers, Superintendent of Schools; Newton T. Kirk, School Inspector
||Lorenzo L. Armstrong, Supervisor; John Campbell, Township
Clerk; Squire Verseliu,, Treasurer; John Wood, Justice of the Peace; Harvey S. Myers,
Superintendent of Schools; Newton T. Kirk, School Inspector.
||Justin W. Worthington, Supervisor; Major H. Lemen,
Township Clerk; Jacob S. Griswold, Treasurer; Richard Marvin, Justice of the Peace; R. C. Sellman,
Superintendent of Schools; John J. Boyd, School Inspector.
||Hiram B. Thompson, Supervisor; Lemuel Hurlbert
Township Clerk; Jacob S. Griswold, Treasurer; Jacob S.
Griswold, Justice of the Peace; John J.
Boyd, Superintendent of Schools; William M. Hayford, School Inspector.
one of the pioneers
of the southern part of the town of Hartland, was born in Grimesville,
Berks Co., Pa., Aug. 28, 1811. He was the son of Christian and Ann Smith. Up to the age of seventeen he worked on his
father's farm, at which time he was apprenticed to the trade of a weaver, which avocation
he followed until he came to Michigan, in 1834. He worked for Luther Boyden, of Washtenaw
County, for three years, when he settled in Hartland, where he located one hundred and
sixty acres of land. There he resided until his death, in 1875. In 1837 he was married to
Miss Ann Smith, who was born in Cherry Valley, Otsego Co., N.Y., April 14, 1821. They
raised a family of eight children: Sarah J., Laura A., Reuben C., William A., Charles A.,
Addie A., Frank L., and Eleanor A.
Mr. Smith was a successful farmer and as a neighbor and friend
was fully appreciated by all who knew him. His wife is in every respect a splendid type of
the women of the early days, and did her part in developing the farm on which she now
resides, which is one of the best in Hartland.
ELISHA G. SMITH
was born Nov. 25, 1826,
in Tioga Co., Pa. He was the only son of William Smith and Leah
Griswold, who reared a family of five children.
The elder Smith was probably a native of Pennsylvania, and was
born May 10, 1786. When twenty-one years of age he went to Smithfield, Bradford Co., Pa.,
where he purchased and improved a new farm. After a residence there of several years he
removed to Tioga County, and engaged in lumbering, marketing his product in Philadelphia.
The business proving unremunerative, he decided to come to Michigan, and in 1836 purchased
the farm upon which he afterward resided. Returning to Pennsylvania, he came, with his
family the following spring, and made a permanent settlement. He was highly esteemed for
his sterling integrity and industrious habits was a man of strong religious convictions,
and a prominent member of the Methodist Church. He was magistrate of Hartland for many
years, and held many other positions of trust. He died in Flint, Dec. 20, 1852.
Elisha G. Smith was possessed of many strong points of character,
and inherited from his father many of his distinguishing traits. He was energetic,
industrious and possessed of more than an ordinary amount of business ability. Upon the
death of his father he succeeded to his business, which he managed successfully. April 20,
1853, he was married to Miss Cordelia M. Marsh, of Pleasant Valley, where she was born
April 19 1833. They reared a family of eight children, seven of whom are living. E. G.
Smith died in Hartland in 1870. 374a.
Elisha G. Smith
Mrs. Elisha G. Smith
son of Elisha and Lydia (Root) Clark, was born
in Johnstown, Montgomery Co., N.Y., Nov. 25, 1814, and was the second child in a family of
three boys and three girls. Elisha, Jr., was born March 25, 1785. Lydia, his wife, was
born in 1784. He was a shoemaker by trade, and died when LeGrand was but fourteen years of
age. But little is known of his history, further than that be was a man of sterling
integrity and highly respected. His father, Elisha, Sr., was a native of Old Milford,
Conn., where he was born April 15, 1746. He married Parthenia Lewis.
LeGrand, by the death of his father, was thrown upon his own
resources, and up to the age of twenty-three was the head of the family. At this time he
was married to Miss Catharine Vrooman, and moved to Victor, Ontario Co., N.Y., where be
remained three years.
In 1842, Mr. Clark came to Hartland and purchased the farm where
he now resides, and which at present consists of two hundred and fifty-four acres. Eight
years after his removal to Michigan his wife died, and in 1853 he was again married, to
Miss Abigail G. Bussey. She was born in Macedon, Wayne Co., N.Y., Sept. 26, 1834.
Mr. Clark has been a successful farmer and is considered a
valuable citizen. He is a Baptist in his religious convictions, and a prominent member of
the Church of that denomination in Hartland.
JACOB S. GRISWOLD
Among the early pioneer
families of the town of Hartland the Griswolds are entitled to prominent mention. Henry Griswold, father of the
subject of this narrative, was a native of Chemung Co., N.Y., where he was born in the
year 1800. He married Elizabeth Snell, and reared a family of eight children, Jacob S.
being the eldest. In 1836 he came to Livingston County, and, being favorably impressed with the soil and the
natural advantages, he purchased a farm in the town of Hartland. Returning to New York he
disposed of his property, and the following spring emigrated with his family. He at once
commenced the improvement of his farm, upon which he resided until his death, which
occurred in 1877. He was a thrifty, industrious farmer, and a man of excellent principles.
Jacob acknowledged obligation to his father in his labor until he attained his majority,
when he started in life as a clerk in the store of Austin & Wakeman, with whom he
remained six years. In 1849 he established himself in trade at Parshallville, where he now
resides. In his business operations Mr. Griswold has been successful. In 1853 he purchased
a farm and engaged in dairying and raising stock, in connection with his mercantile
business. In 1875 he built a cheese-factory and commenced the manufacture of cheese.
In 1851, Mr. Griswold was married to Miss Esther, daughter of
Ezra Mason, one of the pioneers of Rochester, N.Y., having settled there previous to the
war of 1812. He was a miller by trade, but in the later part of his life became a farmer,
which business he followed until his death. He was highly esteemed for his integrity and
The life of Mr. Griswold has been comparatively uneventful. In
his youth he was subjected to the privations and hardships of pioneer life, and early
learned lessons of industry, economy, and self-reliance, which were eminently serviceable
to him in after-life. He has not only obtained a prominent position among the leading
business men of the county, but has won the esteem and confidence of his townsmen, who
have elected him to various positions of trust, the duties of which he has faithfully
discharged. In 1858 he was elected supervisor of Hartland, and again in 1867. He has been
postmaster of Parshallville since 1857, with the exception of two years.
Mr. Griswold is a man of marked liberality and of much public
spirit. He has taken a deep interest in the development of his town and county. Socially
he is genial and courteous, and his hospitality is proverbial.