holders and has found his life work in looking after his extensive farming interests.
WM. M. HARNEY was born in Bourbon county, Kentucky. He emigrated to Illinois while a young man and remained there until the fall of 1857. when he and his family came west. They entered Nebraska at Omaha and after a brief stay, went to DeSoto. He located there, following his trade of blacksmith and receiving his pay mostly in produce of the farmer. In 1858 he moved to Cuming City which was about two and one-half miles north of the present site of Blair.
In 1863 he moved to Arizona township, Burt county, where he remained until 1874 when he became a resident of Tekamah. His last days were spent in Omaha where he died May 12th, 1884, having lived almost seventy-two years. His remains were interred in the Tekamah cemetery.
GEORGE P. HALL was born in England in 1841. He came to the United States with his parents, who made their home in Wisconsin, he being eleven years of age at that time. The family remained there until 1859 when they removed to Burt county, Nebraska, settling on a farm near what was for years known as the "Cross Timber." After the first battle of Bull Run he went to Omaha and enlisted in the 2nd Nebraska Cavalry, serving three years.
Mr. Ball was united in marriage to Miss M. E. Babbitt, in 1865. This lady in company with the new Mrs. Judge Crawford, was present in the house of her father, on the Elkhorn. when a battle was in progress between Pawnee Indians and the Fontenelle scouts, there being but a thin board partition between them and the room where the battle was in progress. After marriage they resided on their farm in Riverside township until the Burtonian was started, in 1873, at Tekamah, by White & Hopewell. Mr. Hall became editor and later sole owner and for many years the power of