Annie L. Winslow. In 1883 they joined the tide of settlers that was moving westward and reached Burt county in October of that year. He has resided here almost continuously since, following the trade of contractor and builder. He is the possessor of a nice home in this city and highly respected in the community.
R. B. HENNEN was born in Green county, Pennsylvania, in January, 1845. His boyhood days were spent on the farm and his school days consisted of four months each year in the old log school house. He was united in marriage to Miss Margaret Ann Pollock, at Lima, Ohio. in March. 1876, and came to Tekamah in April of the same year. Here he engaged as salesman in the hardware store of Latta & Wilson where he remained six months and then opened for himself a grocery and queensware store which he conducted for thirteen years. Since his retirement from the mercantile business he has devoted his attention to fire insurance and real estate. He was elected constable of this township in 1890 and has served fourteen successive years.
Mr. Hennen says his first experience in the western way of doing things was in the court house fight which came up the year he arrived here. As Mr. Hennen relates it, Tekamah, in order to make certain of retaining the county seat agreed to build a court house and give it to the county free of charge. Subscription papers for erecting the new building were started, headed by Geo. P. Thomas and Benj. R. Folsom, two of the largest holders of town property. The understanding was that the court house, when built, should be located about the center of town. John Stubbs, a grain buyer and civil engineer, located the center on K street about where E. C. Houston & Co., have their lumber office. A meeting was called to locate the court house and the citizens divided. Those on the north side of the creek voted to build on block 90